Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,202 members, 7,818,673 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (187) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965413 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Liadi2(m): 9:37am On Jan 02, 2016
DammyOlu123:
Hello house. I am a new turkey farmer, with 30 6-, week old birds.

I have heard that it is recommended to separate the birds with a male:female ratio of about 1:4. This is to ensure proper fertilization of the females(because I plan on collecting and hatching the eggs, and selling off the hatchlings), and also to prevent fighting (something I witnessed firsthand! )

So, I would like to know if keeping the turkeys in pens would disrupt the organic farming I'm aiming for(less fat when they are table-size)

Any other advice would be appreciated (eg best feed to give, when to change type of feed[chick to growers mash], any precautions to take, etc.)

P.S.: They are still on top feed chick mash. How may weeks old is it advisable to switch to growers mash? I plan on using top feed throughout, because I heard it is good for laying female turkeys. any contrary opinion?

Happy belated new year. smiley
pls how can I get the contact of the person you purchase from.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by DammyOlu123(m): 10:12am On Jan 02, 2016
Liadi2:
pls how can I get the contact of the person you purchase from.

Drop your number, let's talk. She stays at Alakia axis, if that'll be convenient for you. I don't know if she'll still have the same stock I bought from though.
damilola_toochi@yahoo.com. Mention me if you send an email.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by taiwoliu(m): 5:54am On Jan 04, 2016
Good a.m good people, new to the thread. Please, as a newbie to poultry farming, wch page of the thread can I visit for required information?
Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 8:14am On Jan 04, 2016
pls house did any body has experienced light brown poo poo in chicks? and it looks like worms inside.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Limamimi(f): 10:57am On Jan 04, 2016
Eggcelent:
Limamini. Ok. Understood now. I'll suggest you persevere a little more. All things being equal, your birds will start producing enough eggs to meet expenses on their feeds with a little profit beside. Success.

Eggcelent my boss of life thanks for bringing peace to my poultry puzzle and a very big happy new year to you. My birds are doing fine now. I have been able to get six crates of pullet eggs from my little form during the past one week. Attached is one of the crate of eggs.

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Limamimi(f): 10:59am On Jan 04, 2016
Limamimi:

Eggcelent my boss of life thanks for bringing peace to my poultry puzzle and a very big happy new year to you. My birds are doing fine now. I have been able to get six crates of pullet eggs from my little form during the past one week. Attached is one of the crate of eggs.

Eggcelent am facing a little problem in the form of the eggs cracking. What can I do to reduce the rate of cracking in egg.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Limamimi(f): 11:04am On Jan 04, 2016
[quote author=Limamimi post=41638636

To all in the house I wish you all a prosperous new year and prosperous poultry farming. Am proud to be a poultry farmer.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 12:28pm On Jan 04, 2016
Nbg4real. Brownish poo with worm-like features is likely a sign of CRD + coccidiosis. How old are are the birds? Limamimi. Thanks Ma. Cracked eggs could be due to a number of factors; the housing (cage or deep litter?), quality of feeds (what is the calcium content & are you giving layers or growers mash?), & sickness (NCD). From pix of the eggs here, I think you birds have issue with NCD. When was the last time you administered Lasota?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by viktor556(m): 8:06pm On Jan 04, 2016
Eggcelent. Happy new year. I'm now at 92% of lay. I photostimulated them on 30th of December to increase the egg sizes but the birds were just sleeping anyhow. Lol. Their sizes are improving though. The market women still pay #550/crate but I hope to jack it up to #600 in few days. I already copied the phone number you posted.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by EverestdeBliu(m): 11:06am On Jan 05, 2016
#Farmers
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 3:40pm On Jan 05, 2016
A Most Prosperous New yr to all the noble farmers here.
I want to
appreciate the zeal, passion, commitment and absolute dedication of eggcelent, jamp, and others who have passionately kept This thread alive.
This is wishing all a most Eggciting 2016.
every farmer on this thread eggsperience will be that of Isaac IJMN.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Mykeolinks: 9:29pm On Jan 05, 2016
viktor556:
Eggcelent. Happy new year. I'm now at 92% of lay. I photostimulated them on 30th of December to increase the egg sizes but the birds were just sleeping anyhow. Lol. Their sizes are improving though. The market women still pay #550/crate but I hope to jack it up to #600 in few days. I already copied the phone number you posted.
@viktor556 congrats, how old are your birds and how many are they
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:42pm On Jan 05, 2016
davidzfarm18:
A Most Prosperous New yr to all the noble farmers here.
I want to
appreciate the zeal, passion, commitment and absolute dedication of eggcelent, jamp, and others who have passionately kept This thread alive.
This is wishing all a most Eggciting 2016.
every farmer on this thread eggsperience will be that of Isaac IJMN.

..happy new year bro.......still waiting for eggsoooo
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by viktor556(m): 11:51pm On Jan 05, 2016
Mykeolinks:

@viktor556 congrats, how old are your birds and how many are they
They are 92 and 24 weeks old. With an initial stock number of 300. I lost 200+ to Gumboro when they were only 4weeks + old.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 6:48am On Jan 06, 2016
Happy new year to all the poultry farmers in the house.
May we all be favoured this year.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 6:51am On Jan 06, 2016
How do u keep soldier ants and other and away from the farm?

Also how do u provide security from theft?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by alakara(m): 7:58am On Jan 06, 2016
mercylicious:
How do u keep soldier ants and other and away from the farm?

Also how do u provide security from theft?
Soldier ant spray them with Gamalin20 or DD force if u are on battery cage system.
Theft is it the workers or thieves.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Mykeolinks: 8:38am On Jan 06, 2016
viktor556:
They are 92 and 24 weeks old. With an initial stock number of 300. I lost 200+ to Gumboro when they were only 4weeks + old.
Jeez... @Viktor556 can you shed more lights on your experience with the gumboro so we'd learn, cud it be as a result of gumboro failure or you didn't administer gumboro vaccine @ all... Please a detailed explanation and possible mistakes you made could be of help to us
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 11:11pm On Jan 06, 2016
Anyone in the House who can supply me 300 point of Lay next week shd pls call 08035038061.
thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by alakara(m): 6:35am On Jan 07, 2016
davidzfarm18:
Anyone in the House who can supply me 300 point of Lay next week shd pls call 08035038061.
thanks.
Whr is ur location.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by yemmit90: 7:04am On Jan 07, 2016
Anyone in possession of a good/standard PEN for lease in Ibadan or its environment should please contact me. Thanks!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by afroxyz: 12:17pm On Jan 07, 2016
Please how much do I need for a poultry farm. I have a parcel of land. I want to start on a small scale and work my way up. What is the minimum budget I should have?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 12:21pm On Jan 07, 2016
alakara:
Whr is ur location.
Abuja
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by viktor556(m): 1:37pm On Jan 07, 2016
So here's what really went down.

I administered Gumboro on the 2nd week. Lasota a week later. I was supposed to repeat Gumboro the ff week but my birds had issues with Cocci. My DOC was from CHI.

I was using Centre-dicox but no improvement. I switched to Totravet and there was instant result. I was planning to give them Gumboro vaccine the following day, which was on Monday, when Gumboro struck; on Sunday.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by alakara(m): 2:52pm On Jan 07, 2016
davidzfarm18:
Abuja
Check my signature to wattsapp me.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 07, 2016
Hello House, I have point of lay for sale at Ibadan. Any interested person should contact me on 08038619766.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by survivalagro: 5:05pm On Jan 07, 2016
Fumbaby:

How many birds will the 50unit take? Is it still available?
we presently have some fairly used imported cage to sell. if interested,pls call 07062252747
check out pictures& details here>>>>> www.facebook.com/survivalpoulty
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Fumbaby: 5:17pm On Jan 07, 2016
survivalagro:

we presently have some fairly used imported cage to sell.
if interested,pls call 07062252747

check out pictures& details here>>>>>
www.facebook.com/survivalpoulty

Will get in touch
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by abbeyforex(m): 5:24am On Jan 08, 2016
survivalagro:

we presently have some fairly used imported cage to sell. if interested,pls call 07062252747
Hot dip or electro galvanized ? How much per set and what's the capacity of each set ?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Fumbaby: 6:44am On Jan 08, 2016
survivalagro:

What's the minimum unit you can sell?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by survivalagro: 9:45pm On Jan 08, 2016
abbeyforex:

Hot dip or electro galvanized ? How much per set and what's the capacity of each set ?
Hot dip....#35,000 per set....120 birds capacity

(1) (2) (3) ... (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.