Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,425 members, 7,836,693 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (967893 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Sirgee1: 7:34am On Jul 25, 2013
obnelly:

Sorry about that.
why not try chi farms for their ISA BROWN BREED DOC/POL.I have a contact man there ,You still have to troubleshoot the cause of the samonella in your farm otherwise it could expand to your new flock.Please get rid of it fully before stocking new set of young chicks/chickens

Thank you very much for your response. I reli apppreciate. I sold put all remaining poulets. I have cleaned d whole farm house. Waiting to recurperate alittle from my financial loss.

Is CHI's POLs beta dan POL's frm Animal care?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 10:14pm On Jul 25, 2013
Hi all, i have been busy on another project but hopefully should start constructing my PEN by the end of the year. i wanted to throw a question out there.
What breed of DOC layer is the best to stock, heard someone mentioned ISA BROWN above, is that the best breed?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:40am On Jul 26, 2013
jites: Hi all, i have been busy on another project but hopefully should start constructing my PEN by the end of the year. i wanted to throw a question out there.
What breed of DOC layer is the best to stock, heard someone mentioned ISA BROWN above, is that the best breed?

It depends on ur location. For those of us in d north brown is better cos of the weather. The sun is much in d north. Black absorbs heat unlike the brown
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Zemhen1: 12:03am On Jul 27, 2013
obnelly:

omotiti kindly send me an e-mail to the3muskettiers@gmail.com.
I have one of my boys who can transport your chickens to benin city,if the cost is favourable enough.

Thanks guys cheesy
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jites(m): 6:03pm On Jul 27, 2013
jamp:

It depends on ur location. For those of us in d north brown is better cos of the weather. The sun is much in d north. Black absorbs heat unlike the brown

Thanks jamp for the explanation. I am in delta state
So I guess the isa brown wont be the best for me to stock then
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 8:36pm On Jul 27, 2013
Sirgee1:

Thank you very much for your response. I reli apppreciate. I sold put all remaining poulets. I have cleaned d whole farm house. Waiting to recurperate alittle from my financial loss.

Is CHI's POLs beta dan POL's frm Animal care?

Sorry i thought you were talking about Doc which i think its better,I for one i dont really love Animal care.so its one man's meat deal.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:28pm On Jul 27, 2013
obnelly:

Sorry i thought you were talking about Doc which i think its better,I for one i dont really love Animal care.so its one man's meat deal.

Bros no cut my heart cos na animal care i useed for my DOC coming soon.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 5:01pm On Jul 28, 2013
Pls guys, offer your ideas, which is better, to raise layers from DOC or to just buy POL straight away ( looking at cost and safety)and why are there more layers farmers on this thread, does it mean eggs sell more than meats by a wide margin? Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:21pm On Jul 28, 2013
The Shootist: Pls guys, offer your ideas, which is better, to raise layers from DOC or to just buy POL straight away ( looking at cost and safety)and why are there more layers farmers on this thread, does it mean eggs sell more than meats by a wide margin? Thanks.

DOC or POL is good depending on your choice. POL is good if u know the source very well. How honest are they with their vacination n feeding. Most of them cut corners to maximise profit. They give half vacinatin n feeding but if you are sure of them in terms of vacination n feeding then POL is better cos the risk of brooding DOC has been taking care of. The stress of brooding is not there.
But DOC u ve to bear the stress of brooding n the risk of loosing some.

Me am raising DOC cos I don't have the money for POL n I want to hv experince in it.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 7:46pm On Jul 28, 2013
jamp:

DOC or POL is good depending on your choice. POL is good if u know the source very well. How honest are they with their vacination n feeding. Most of them cut corners to maximise profit. They give half vacinatin n feeding but if you are sure of them in terms of vacination n feeding then POL is better cos the risk of brooding DOC has been taking care of. The stress of brooding is not there.

Me am raising DOC cos I don't have the money for POL n I want to hv experince in it.

A real farmer would rather do things by himself than allow somebody to do it for him.I still choose to raise from DOC to POL.Its simple and teaches me to learn so many things about chicks and pullets.You wouldnt believe this ,i understand what my chicken is trying to say because of personal interaction i had with them whenever they make different sounds.it means different things ,when they are in distress,when they are hungry ,when they wanna greet me for their feed to when they wanna lay eggs .And if 1000 birds is making noise at high decibel i can stop the 1000 to still.Reason why is because i took my time to understand and learn so many things about them.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 8:12pm On Jul 28, 2013
jamp:

obnelly:

A real farmer would rather do things by himself than allow somebody to do it for him.I still choose to raise from DOC to POL.Its simple and teaches me to learn so many things about chicks and pullets.You wouldnt believe this ,i understand what my chicken is trying to say because of personal interaction i had with them whenever they make different sounds.it means different things ,when they are in distress,when they are hungry ,when they wanna greet me for their feed to when they wanna lay eggs .And if 1000 birds is making noise at high decibel i can stop the 1000 to still.Reason why is because i took my time to understand and learn so many things about them.

Thanks! I get the point. No one talked about egg and broiler market, if there's (wide) margin in their demand?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 1:03am On Jul 29, 2013
obnelly:

@obnelly, I like your moment here. True, a real farmer and one who will last will always want to have a first hand experience on all aspect of the farm. Later you can o bunch of things to move your farm forward, get a lot of help etc, but in the beginning start from point A and go from there.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:20am On Jul 29, 2013
good morning house, please i need contact of feed sellers in abuja. also which feed is best for my DOC
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kengeorge: 1:08pm On Jul 29, 2013
obnelly, please I am starting a 10,000 layer farm soon, can you help me built a bioreactor plant for the waste?, if you are interested , kindly email me on kengeorgewests@yahoo.com.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by valentino81(m): 10:48am On Jul 30, 2013
I want to transfer the land given to me the ministry of agriculture at ilewo orile farm settlement to any one interested. The land is one acre, well digging is in progress, pen foundation of 24ft by 30ft has been constructed up to four coaches of blocks. Snail house 20 by 30 ft has been constructed. Gravels, sands and pcs of blocks are still there.
I intend transfering it due to the fact dt I av been transfered from myy place of work and it will be difficult to monitor. So, if you are interested, let's discuss. My digit is 08032566212.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by lekank: 10:23am On Jul 31, 2013
Need a veterinary doctor for Egg production(poultry) that stays close to Ikotun egbe in Lagos.. inbox me on 08032588307. cheers.. urgent
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Realdeals(m): 6:13pm On Jul 31, 2013
Are you a farmer, Agricultural researchers, commodities trader,
consultant, agricultural policy maker or passionate about food.
Let your voice be heard in the Agriculture Industry. Register and
join the online Agriculture Discussion Forum at http://
www./register
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 6:35pm On Aug 01, 2013
jamp:

Bros no cut my heart cos na animal care i useed for my DOC coming soon.

Sorry if it hurts ,i still prefer top feed because it works for me .Animal care may work for you too just choose that which is good for you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ayodejy05(m): 8:26pm On Aug 01, 2013
Follow this link to know facts about poultry farming http://animalprof..com/2013/07/facts-about-poultry-business.html
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:34pm On Aug 07, 2013
count down. my DOC will soon arrive

i need advice and suggestions pllllsssssssss
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 11:55pm On Aug 07, 2013
Hello Everyone, An opportunity to learn about the industry. I am currently out of town, but I am sending one of my staffs to attend this event

WESNAGRIC SUMMIT. Western Nigeria Agriculture Conference, Workshop/Seminar and Training. Lagos, Oyok Ekiti, Ondo, Kwara, Osun & Ogun State
Agric Show coming up on the 13th -15th of August, 2013 in Abeokuta Ogun state.
N2,500 for registration. I don't know if it is for each day
Each day has different event. With speakers locally and internationally present. There would be lots of materials to buy. Many Farmers and manufacturers will be present too to showcase their products and innovations.

If I get their phone# I will share it here for anyone who want to attend.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by soft77: 1:57pm On Aug 08, 2013
WHICH EXACT ADRESS IN ABEOKUTA AND IF U CAN PLACE ALSO CONTACT NUMBER FOR THE EVENT THANKS
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 2:51pm On Aug 08, 2013
biddybee: Hi friends,

my layers started laying 2 days ago but the eggs are small, is this normal or can anyone help with useful tips? thanks in advance
which month did you buy the layers? I think it can affect the size of eggs they lay.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 11:11pm On Aug 08, 2013
FarmTech: which month did you buy the layers? I think it can affect the size of eggs they lay.

Nothing to panic about ,its the first egg its called 'pullet',gradually the eggs sizes will increase with the number of eggs per day.
Just make sure you give adequate feed and water to your chickens .

All the best.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 8:50am On Aug 10, 2013
Pls who knows any good place where I can get vaccines and drugs near or around OTA?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 9:09pm On Aug 10, 2013
Pls house,does anyone know where to get good supply of wheat offal and maize within lagos/ogun state.(preferably ketu-mile 12 axis).thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 9:12pm On Aug 10, 2013
Please house,does anyone know where to get good supply of wheat offal and maize within lagos/ogun state.(preferably ketu-mile 12 axis).thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by miqos02(m): 10:45am On Aug 12, 2013
obnelly:

Nothing to panic about ,its the first egg its called 'pullet',gradually the eggs sizes will increase with the number of eggs per day.
Just make sure you give adequate feed and water to your chickens .

All the best.
hello boss, pls help with this issue, i got about 90 POL birds in april, but till today i have not gotten up to 100% laying, the highest i get is 80 eggs, what can i do to get the rest to lay
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by IKEDIKE: 12:05pm On Aug 12, 2013
@miqos02, how many birds do u currently have, what is their age from doc and what feed do u use. But know that 100% is rare, not easy to get. From your record of 80eggs which is about 89%, you have a fantastic result.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by miqos02(m): 1:14pm On Aug 12, 2013
IKEDIKE: @miqos02, how many birds do u currently have, what is their age from doc and what feed do u use. But know that 100% is rare, not easy to get. [b][/b]From your record of 80eggs which is about 89%, you have a fantastic result.
they were supplied as day old in November 2012, they started laying in april. i use top feeds.@ bolded,do you mean i cant get 100%?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by IKEDIKE: 2:31pm On Aug 12, 2013
miqos02:
they were supplied as day old in November 2012, they started laying in april. i use top feeds.@ bolded,do you mean i cant get 100%?

100% maybe possible(especially theoretically), but from my so many years of practice and experience, i have not yet seen. But In case you make it do let me know. Know that egg production will keep rising until u get to ur peak and then it will gradually come down as the laying period progresses.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by n0m0705(m): 6:14pm On Aug 12, 2013
The Shootist: Pls who knows any good place where I can get vaccines and drugs near or around OTA?
Go to "joy vet" along ansarudeen road, you will get your drugs and vaccines at a cheaper rate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.