Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,515 members, 7,819,858 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:47 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965706 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 5:53pm On Aug 22, 2013
obnelly: Fnk if you want from chi I can get you a contact man their.just send me an e-mail.
Pls where's the location/address of Chi? I checked into an Animal Care outlet today, they said N250, I was like 'Nahhh, no no no' :-)
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 7:43pm On Aug 22, 2013
The Shootist:
Pls where's the location/address of Chi? I checked into an Animal Care outlet today, they said N250, I was like 'Nahhh, no no no' :-)

I've got to settle with CHI then, need to book it ASAP
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 10:27pm On Aug 22, 2013
fnk:

How much did you pay for your Day old broilers?

I got the number of a contact at CHI and sent the money to him.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 10:29pm On Aug 22, 2013
It was N180 earlier in the week but it i snow N200
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 12:13am On Aug 23, 2013
Idango:

I got the number of a contact at CHI and sent the money to him.
And what is the contact info?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kentochi(m): 6:12pm On Aug 23, 2013
pls am living in Edo state how can i get this chicken or how do i go about it pls i need help cos i will be rounding up from school by next month and real real need to start up something good with my life.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by somafol: 6:22pm On Aug 23, 2013
I'm a newbie on nairaland and i must admit that coming across this highly educative and informative thread is a huge blessing in my life. I have this strong passion for poultry farming since i was a child. I even joined the Young Farmers Club way back in my primary school days but it's a big shame to me that up till this moment, i haven't actualized my dream of becoming a poultry farmer. I can hear you asking the big question; WHY! The reason is because i relied so much on getting a good job in order to gather enough capital but never realized that one could start small. It's 5 years now since i passed out from NYSC and all i can account for is that i spent 1 year and 8 months working while the rest was wasted hoping for a better job. I realized that the years wasted was enough to have made me a professional in this field by now but i wasted it on searching for a good job because that was what i was been taught in school i.e go to school, get good grades and get a job which is not that realistic in Nigeria now. While working, i even attempted ICAN so that i could be retained in one of the contract job i had but that was not so. I realized i just wasted my time for nothing while others were busy creating jobs for themselves and making fortunes.

I decided to share this life experience with you because many are towing this track record of great mistake. The world has evolved from the industrial age to the information age so the information you have at your disposal as regards being an entrepreneur is what will save you from entering the trap of the rat race. As for me, i have resolved to be an entrepreneur rather than being a corporate slave to anyone.

I want to express my gratitude to everyone who kept this thread alive. Please don't let it die. Share your experiences and photos about this lucrative but risky poultry business so that others can learn. Don't be frightened with the word risky because according to my research, the risk element in this business is manageable if you are diligent and hard working as this business is not for lazy minds. Hindsight, basking4me, obenlly, omotiti, fnk, ayodele123 and others, you are wonderful! Keep it up!

7 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by gracy83: 12:22am On Aug 24, 2013
God bless you all for this informative writ up. Planning to set up a 2000layer farm here in port harcourt. Got 3plots of land already. Planning to start with POL cos am a learner. Pls where can I get POL around port harcourt environs and a good vet doctor to work with. Tx
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Egomah(m): 5:20am On Aug 24, 2013
kentochi: pls am living in Edo state how can i get this chicken or how do i go about it pls i need help cos i will be rounding up from school by next month and real real need to start up something good with my life.

If you are in benin you can order for Ʊя̲̅ birds at Zartech, they have office in Sapele road, just after Santana market
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kentochi(m): 2:16pm On Aug 24, 2013
@Egomah If you are in benin you can order for Ʊя̲̅ birds at Zartech, they have office in Sapele road, just after Santana market.
I school in Auchi and am staying here for now pls i will need your help to put me through cos i need to start after my exam next month can i have your contact. how much is a day old.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Egomah(m): 5:14pm On Aug 24, 2013
kentochi: @Egomah If you are in benin you can order for Ʊя̲̅ birds at Zartech, they have office in Sapele road, just after Santana market.
I school in Auchi and am staying here for now pls i will need your help to put me through cos i need to start after my exam next month can i have your contact. how much is a day old.

Not yet a farmer, but which ever way I can assist I will. Zartech is just within my benin apartment in GRA. As you were asking where to get chicks from in Edo state, so I thought I should let you know.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:02pm On Aug 24, 2013
Thank God dis forum is still alive. Thanks to Hindsight. I miss her n others like bask4me.

I will try n make dis forum helpful to all brringing up topics for us to discuss n learn. Pls feel free to share ur experince and knowldge for others to learn.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 8:57am On Aug 26, 2013
Hi everyone, what can i give to my D.o.c (white cockerels) that are not very active as others? Am currently givin dem anti biotics n multivitamin, despite providin heat, some are just sleepy or less active, any suggestn?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 2:02pm On Aug 26, 2013
samshoz: Hi everyone, what can i give to my D.o.c (white cockerels) that are not very active as others? Am currently givin dem anti biotics n multivitamin, despite providin heat, some are just sleepy or less active, any suggestn?

Don't panic. DOC behave like that sometimes. Most of them will be sleeping while some will be active. Try give them glucose to boost their energy level after a long journey. Keep giving them the multivitamine and antibiotic

Goodluck
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 3:08pm On Aug 26, 2013
jamp:

Don't panic. DOC behave like that sometimes. Most of them will be sleeping while some will be active. Try give them glucose to boost their energy level after a long journey. Keep giving them the multivitamine and antibiotic

Goodluck

Did you follow a particular breeding program?how old are the chicks ? Is the temperature too high or too low?if your chicks arrive after 3-5 days all must have adapted to their new environment.I give you some pass mark to have observed some were just sleeping?if the temperature isn't to ok they may be sleeping and if they are too stressed up the chicks will also sleep.
Are they panting?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:02pm On Aug 26, 2013
samshoz: Hi everyone, what can i give to my D.o.c (white cockerels) that are not very active as others? Am currently givin dem anti biotics n multivitamin, despite providin heat, some are just sleepy or less active, any suggestn?
obnelly:

Did you follow a particular breeding program?how old are the chicks ? Is the temperature too high or too low?if your chicks arrive after 3-5 days all must have adapted to their new environment.I give you some pass mark to have observed some were just sleeping?if the temperature isn't to ok they may be sleeping and if they are too stressed up the chicks will also sleep.
Are they panting?

@samshoz, please read and revert to the huz
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:25pm On Aug 26, 2013
My people let us start the learning process. Please note that I cannot do this alone. I need everybody’s input. I am just a starter and I believe we will learn a lot if all contribute else thread will dieeee.

NO TOO MUCH ENGLISH OOO, JUST EXPLAIN THE WAY EVERYBODY WILL UNDERSTAND

Lets start with BROODING which is one of the most difficult aspect of poultry.

to me brooding involves taking care of DOC from day 1 to 30 days or day 1 to 60 days. the first thing you should consider before starting brooding is where to get your DOC. this is very important. there are many quack farms in Nigeria.

the following are required for brooding
1. heat which can be generated from stove,charcoal,NEPA,lantern
2. feeders
3. water trough
4. wood shaving
5. newspaper

the dificult part in brooding is generation of heat. DOC need heat (temp above 35C). i had serious challenge providing heat for my birds. I bouhgt one bag of charcoal everyday and 10 litres of kerosine to ensure enogh heat. the truth is even when u tink the heat is high the chick might not feel it cos there body temp is different from ours.................

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 7:30pm On Aug 26, 2013
jamp:

@samshoz, please read and revert to the huz
Am followin a program, i expectd d stress to be over by now. Even wen d temprature was ok, som were stil not pleasantly active. They dint show sign of panting. Wil get glucose though as advised. Tanx guys.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Trueigbo: 8:42pm On Aug 26, 2013
samshoz: Am followin a program, i expectd d stress to be over by now. Even wen d temprature was ok, som were stil not pleasantly active. Wil get glucose though as advised. Tanx guys.

How old are they?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Trueigbo: 8:45pm On Aug 26, 2013
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 3:10pm On Aug 27, 2013
True_igbo:

How old are they?
7 days now. Would be due for Gumboro vaccine tommorow though.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 3:18pm On Aug 27, 2013
samshoz: 7 days now. Would be due for Gumboro vaccine tommorow though.

@samshoz, how far? any improvement
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 8:35pm On Aug 28, 2013
[quote author=jamp]My people let us start the learning process. Please note that I cannot do this alone. I need everybody’s input. I am just a starter and I believe we will learn a lot if all contribute else thread will dieeee.

to me brooding involves taking care of DOC from day 1 to 30 days or day 1 to 60 days. the first thing you should consider before starting brooding is where to get your DOC. this is very important. there are many quack farms in Nigeria.

Its true that our body temperature is not the same like our doc but when the heat is high or low their is a way the doc react to change in temperature.

God's willing I am working on a research when we would be able to use chicken dropping to generate space heating for brooding.
the dificult part in brooding is generation of heat. DOC need heat (temp above 35C
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kengeorge: 3:17pm On Aug 29, 2013
Good day all, we are currently looking for poultry feed raw material suppliers for our feed mill that is under construction. Interested supplier should please email per ton landing prices for the following materials

Maize
SoyaBean meal
GNC
Wheat offal
Lime stone
Lysine
Methonine
L/P
T binder

you can also include price of other materials

Will also need you help on a very good formular for layers, growers and chick starters.

N.B.

The mill is situsted at Awoyaya, Ibeju - Lekki LGA , Lagos.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ayoola190: 5:34pm On Aug 29, 2013
jamp: My people let us start the learning process. Please note that I cannot do this alone. I need everybody’s input. I am just a starter and I believe we will learn a lot if all contribute else thread will dieeee.

the following are required for brooding
1. heat which can be generated from stove,charcoal,NEPA,lantern
2. feeders
3. water trough
4. wood shaving
5. newspaper

the dificult part in brooding is generation of heat. DOC need heat (temp above 35C). i had serious challenge providing heat for my birds. I bouhgt one bag of charcoal everyday and 10 litres of kerosine to ensure enogh heat. the truth is even when u tink the heat is high the chick might not feel it cos there body temp is different from ours.................

Thanks 4ur concern...am rili following.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 9:37pm On Aug 31, 2013
keeping daily records shouldnt be handled with levity .Be serious with what ever records your chickens are dishing out.Remember to do your profit and loss account on a monthly bases .That will give you your monthly performance.

fnk ,sorry i lost my phone and couldnt retrieved the chi 's guy number.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ojitejiri(f): 3:55am On Sep 02, 2013
fnk:

Thanks, any one know about day olds from OBASANJO FARMS, ANIMAL CARE, THE BEST CHICKS LIMITED, FIDAN LIMITED,YAMMFY FARMS, AMO BYING NIG. LTD, FARMS SUPPORT POULTRY BREEDERS LTD

My farm is being located along Lekki Epe road. I want to book now for delivery by the end of next month

Thanks guys

please has anyone booked from obasanjo farms? I need to know the process. My farm is in nasarawa. Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 10:54am On Sep 02, 2013
jamp:

@samshoz, how far? any improvement
They are fine now, though i lost about 5(white cockerels). Thanks guys.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 11:18am On Sep 02, 2013
How much will it cost (feed, drugs etc) to purchase n raise 50pcs of Layers d.o.c to maturity?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by olaakinyinka(m): 12:03pm On Sep 02, 2013
do you need spent grain?
kengeorge: Good day all, we are currently looking for poultry feed raw material suppliers for our feed mill that is under construction. Interested supplier should please email per ton landing prices for the following materials

Maize
SoyaBean meal
GNC
Wheat offal
Lime stone
Lysine
Methonine
L/P
T binder

you can also include price of other materials

Will also need you help on a very good formular for layers, growers and chick starters.

N.B.

The mill is situsted at Awoyaya, Ibeju - Lekki LGA , Lagos.

Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by olaakinyinka(m): 12:06pm On Sep 02, 2013
Should in case anyone needs SPENT GRAINS, kindly let me know pls. I have in large quantity to supply
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 12:29pm On Sep 02, 2013
Is it ok to give Livstovit as multivitamin to birds, instead of the sachet ones?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.