Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,285 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:16 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (963478 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by sonety2k(m): 5:10pm On Nov 27, 2011
cool
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 8:29pm On Nov 27, 2011
Why d laugh chairman, na serious matter be this oo. My chickens are yet to lay d golden eggs. I am apprehensive nw. These guys are 18 yet they are playin tricks on me. Vets pl come in.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by DisGuy: 12:55am On Nov 28, 2011
You should have a freelance consultant nearby

So why did you want to pour in more money when these ones haven't even started laying the golden egg?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Limeone(m): 4:27pm On Nov 28, 2011
@ basking, be patient, I would think you will start seeing your golden eggs from the 20th week and something like 1 or 2  the first day and it will be gradual improvement. It's so capital intensive! Goodluck!!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 4:55pm On Nov 28, 2011
Many thanks Limeone,

I THINK I AM BEING TOO EXPECTANT.

Even humans do have premature babies, the cost of feeding them continues to sky rocket unabated, reason for the apprehension. I have decided to take things easy now and continue to feed them till they they actually start laying.

the extra 2weeks to feed them will cost us another 120k but we'll pull through.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Limeone(m): 5:12pm On Nov 28, 2011
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Limeone(m): 5:20pm On Nov 28, 2011
@ Basking, Sorry ooo, Hope and pray you recoup your cash! since u managing it yourself,no problems! we in the same shoes!!, I have mine going on 18 weeks this thursday and farm is at wasimi in abeoukuta! Hopefully we can compare books! I have  6,000 and am crying ma ma mia grin
I should mention also,I have followed with keen interest your posts since day one that you started construction of your brooder house, thanks for the pics as well!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 5:55pm On Nov 28, 2011
Many thanks Limeone,

Nice to know that i have someone who is feeling what I am feeling at this stage too.

My farm is in lagos but we have a new and bigger facility very close to atan in Ota area of ogun state. You really must be feeling the bite harder than me cos of your current stock level.

I realy wouldnt mind us comparing notes. Regards.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fm7070: 11:34pm On Nov 28, 2011
Hello Farmers,
Pls help me out.
I have about 80 birds. They're 26wks + and its just 4 of them that has been laying since 2wks ago. Those 4 lays good big eggs
What can I do to boost egg production for the rest. Cost of feeding is not funny.
Pls. help me.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fm7070: 11:52pm On Nov 28, 2011
@Basking4me,
Welldone,
Pls, post the feed formulation u used for your birds.
How old are they when u administered the vaccines?
thx
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by elite(m): 4:27pm On Dec 10, 2011
Weldone basking. More grease to your elbows. Your pepper go soon begin enter, Hindsight where are you Kindly post an update as many of us are waiting!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by missuzoma: 5:45pm On Dec 10, 2011
hindsight Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh! where are you? pls let us know how far no matter what may have happened.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fm7070: 11:41am On Dec 11, 2011
Where are the people that kept this thread alive?
This thread has been dormant for some time now.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Hindsight(f): 4:51pm On Dec 11, 2011
Where should i start from? embarassed I would like to thank Basking for keeping this thread alive. To all those who've followed this thread with keen interest i would like to say THANK U and may God see u thru ur dreams and projects. My layers started laying @ about 18 weeks (phew, ) it wasn't easy cos they ate and ate, anyways we have started selling eggs grin grin will post some pixs tomorrow.

11 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TOPAI7(m): 5:26pm On Dec 11, 2011
WE THANK GOD THAT YOU SCALED THROUGH THE FIRST PHASE OF YOUR BUSINESS.
GOD WILL GRANT YOU FAVOUR AS YOU MOVE THROUGH THE NEXT AND SUBSEQUENT PHASES.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by elite(m): 5:20am On Dec 12, 2011
@ hindsight, dats gud news!
Kindly lemme know where your farm is in kad so we can come take a look, and possibly learn a thing or two from you. You could reply thru uchstar4@yahoo.com or 08182982657. Expecting a positive reply from you
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by eremy: 7:15am On Dec 12, 2011
Good initiative there. Cheap feeding formulations can be made and fortified with lots of calcium to promote quality egg production.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by lekandauda: 10:57am On Dec 12, 2011
@Hindsight very delighted to know that you story after all this while is that of success. I can not wait to see those pics. Also please update us on your experience all this while. Thank you and God bless
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by missuzoma: 12:50pm On Dec 12, 2011
@ hindsight. relieved dat u r ok. my husband and i set up a poultry farm some years back as an extra stream of income and something went wrong and we lost almost 600 chicks in three days. despite dat he is considering owning a large livestock farm when we tire o ourf white collar jobs and city lights. he has even acquired a huge land in our village. past experience haunts me but he loves farming. at least i know who to ask questions. may ur farm last for a very long time and more success.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kenedy175(m): 3:07pm On Dec 12, 2011
hello pals! I came across a site on d net where 1 cld make money with little or no stress. All u need to do is to register with them, which is quite easy. U will b asked series of questions by some advertising companies which when answerd will be paid some certain amt of money. Oda ways of increasin ur cash will b given in detail. Dis aint no scam. Jst follow dis link
http://Survey-Faq.com?ref=2438204
thanks!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by olumolar55(m): 12:26pm On Dec 13, 2011
@Hindsight, Well done for the hard job and Congrats on your bird laying the Golden Eggs. God will continue to sustain you. (amen)
To All other poultry farmer, please keep this thread bursting, we like reading and learning from you lot,
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Hindsight(f): 3:08pm On Dec 13, 2011
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
The golden eggs @ last cool

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Hindsight(f): 3:10pm On Dec 13, 2011
Bear in mind that the size of the eggs has greatly improved after weeks of laying small-small eggs.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Hindsight(f): 3:18pm On Dec 13, 2011
missuzoma:

@ hindsight. relieved dat u r ok. my husband and i set up a poultry farm some years back as an extra stream of income and something went wrong and we lost almost 600 chicks in three days. despite dat he is considering owning a large livestock farm when we tire o ourf white collar jobs and city lights. he has even acquired a huge land in our village. past experience haunts me but he loves farming. at least i know who to ask questions. may your farm last for a very long time and more success.

Thank u my sister. I tell u it wasn't easy at a point we were ready to sell the chickens and forget the whole thing but thank God we stuck it out. I think if u can forget about your past experience and try again u will make it. It does take a lot of patience but in the end u will smile smiley

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by olumolar55(m): 3:22pm On Dec 13, 2011
@Hindsight, At Last !!! money will start spinning inn after the gruesome 17 weeks of heavy expensis. The eggs reasonably big.

How many birds did you start with? please keep your diary/book keeping intact as I personally will ask more question on feeding expensis.
For now I will give you a break to concentrate on the Golden Eggs, More Grace bruv/sis
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Hindsight(f): 3:30pm On Dec 13, 2011
olumolar55:

@Hindsight, At Last !!! money will start spinning inn after the gruesome 17 weeks of heavy expensis. The eggs reasonably big.

How many birds did you start with? please keep your diary/book keeping intact as I personally will ask more question on feeding expensis.
For now I will give you a break to concentrate on the Golden Eggs, More Grace bruv/sis

It is Sis oh! grin. The feeding aspect was quite a challenge as we had already decided from the beginning we were not going to compromise but will use the best feed available. So we have been using Vital feeds even tho it's a lot more costly than most feeds.

@basking i feel u, i hope they have started laying now.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by i1: 4:58pm On Dec 13, 2011
@ hindsight. please give us a breakdown of the costing for the 1000 birds and the profitability structure, thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by nigerfine: 12:28am On Dec 14, 2011
i am really happy for you-Hindsight, congrats. i am coming to have a shot soon.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm(m): 1:41pm On Dec 14, 2011
Great job you've done, to successfully raised 1000layers to point of lay you will spend about 900 per each meaning you should be prepared to spend N900, 000. i'll advice that you start with what you can successfully raised as you can not economise the feeding, they give you what you feed them.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by chines4(m): 2:38pm On Dec 14, 2011
@Hindsight
Congrats at long last, I'm happy for you.

@Eremy,

Can u help with a better feeding formula
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fm7070: 12:46pm On Dec 16, 2011
@Hindsight.
How old are they when u administered all the vaccines u used?
What are the diseases you treated in the course of raising the birds
thx

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.