Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,836 members, 7,820,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (93) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965919 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fishleg123: 7:19am On Feb 08, 2015
good morning farmers in d house. i made a mistake in d first post. they are actually 4months old and not 4weeks

my birds (200 layers ) are 4months now but have not been debeaked yet. can I still go ahead to debeak them. hope it is not too late
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 7:55am On Feb 08, 2015
FarmTech:

The plastic crates usually lead to more egg breakage.

@Farmtech the crates I refer to is the one used to package for egg sale in supermarkets.

I buy eggs at big malls packaged in 6, 12 or 30 pieces and they are not broken. it gives your egg product branding and maybe you can charge a little biit more.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 8:05am On Feb 08, 2015
fishleg123. You may go ahead, please
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 8:06am On Feb 08, 2015
fishleg123. You may go ahead. It isn't late, please. Success.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 10:38am On Feb 08, 2015
fishleg123:
good morning farmers in d house. i made a mistake in d first post. they are actually 4months old and not 4weeks

my birds (200 layers ) are 4months now but have not been debeaked yet. can I still go ahead to debeak them. hope it is not too late
If you don't want them to eat all their eggs (exagerated), do it NOW before they start laying.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Globaby01: 3:36pm On Feb 08, 2015
I discover that one of my broiler has its hairs under his armpits off and look as if its injured. I suppose lamp has done that to her, is there anything I can do to help her survive?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 4:54pm On Feb 08, 2015
Globaby01:
I discover that one of my broiler has its hairs under his armpits off and look as if its injured. I suppose lamp has done that to her, is there anything I can do to help her survive?

separate the bird from others . The wound will heal
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Globaby01: 10:17pm On Feb 08, 2015
jamp:

separate the bird from others . The wound will heal
she died
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 11:59pm On Feb 08, 2015
Globaby01:

she died
Sorry for the loss. Was the wound that big and serious?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 7:30am On Feb 09, 2015
chai i hate to hear such news.
plz is there anything globaby can do to prevent future re-occurance?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omejeo: 9:33am On Feb 09, 2015
Pls what could be wrong with my chicks they are two weeks old .they are dying .i notice before they died they will do as if they are having convoltion help house
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 11:59am On Feb 09, 2015
Globaby01:

she died

Next time when you observe any wound or abnormal behaviour remove the bird and provide first aid
treatment.
By attending or visiting your farm on daily bases supervising your staff work will curtail them from killing your bird.tell your staff the total number of birds in the pen.if any one is missing tell them you will deduct it from their salary. Any mortality must be examined and recorded.if your morality chart is going up then your staff are playing over you the same thing is applicable to eggs proper recording will give you what is going on in your farm.
Pay good salary to your worker
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 12:10pm On Feb 09, 2015
obnelly:

Next time when you observe any wound or abnormal behaviour remove the bird and provide first aid
treatment.
By attending or visiting your farm on daily bases supervising your staff work will curtail them from killing your bird.tell your staff the total number of birds in the pen.if any one is missing tell them you will deduct it from their salary. Any mortality must be examined and recorded.if your morality chart is going up then your staff are playing over you the same thing is applicable to eggs proper recording will give you what is going on in your farm.

@Obnelly, i quite agree with your above stated controls. It could go a long way in checking pilfering on our farms.

However what do you consider "good salary"? that would temper the greed and fraudulent minds of some of these Staff.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 4:33pm On Feb 09, 2015
[quote author=segun1976 post=30566899]

@Obnelly, i quite agree with your above stated controls. It could go a long way in checking pilfering on our farms.

However what do you consider "good salary"? that would temper the greed and fraudulent minds of some of these Staff.[/quot

It all depend on ones farm capacity.if you have a farm of over five thousand birds and you are paying equivalent of a thousand birds farm .stealing will come in.although stealing is part of some people you can't stop them no matter how fat their salaries is but I believe you can checkmate them.
Also employ somebody who is ready to learn from your wealth of experience, make him feel sense of belonging.And a times tip him for the job well done by rewarding him not necessarily from dead chicken or eggs but in cash and kind.
Encourage him on how he can further his studies beyond your farm level.
Let him visit you at home enjoy and share some meal with him.for example if you have plantain in your farm after harvesting call him and say oh Bayo this is your own share rather than you eating the whole plantain.

I apply this rules in my farm and it works like magic.No matter how stressful the day may be I still drive to my farm to see how the days job is done.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 4:39pm On Feb 09, 2015
segun1976. I saw this relevant advert as per your request for "gift" crates:
TOFGLOBAL CONCEPT LTD.
38A Adeniji Str., Abisogun Leigh Estate, beside AY Hotel, Ogba GRA, Lagos.
07080541159, 08023081596

Meanwhile, I used to buy similar crates at #80 each from a vet store at Akure, Ondo State.
I suspect you can get them at cheaper prices from the above. Success

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fishleg123: 4:47pm On Feb 09, 2015
thanks to everybody for ur replies. I'm on my way to do d de beaking. A friend is going to help me. later I let d house know how far.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by segun1976: 5:13pm On Feb 09, 2015
Eggcelent:
segun1976. I saw this relevant advert as per your request for "gift" crates:
TOFGLOBAL CONCEPT LTD.
38A Adeniji Str., Abisogun Leigh Estate, beside AY Hotel, Ogba GRA, Lagos.
07080541159, 08023081596

Meanwhile, I used to buy similar crates at #80 each from a vet store at Akure, Ondo State.
I suspect you can get them at cheaper prices from the above. Success

@Eggcellent, thanks for this useful info. Would work on it and provide necessary & usefull feedback.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 5:26pm On Feb 09, 2015
omejeo:
Pls what could be wrong with my chicks they are two weeks old .they are dying .i notice before they died they will do as if they are having convoltion help house
Which vaccines and drugs have you given so far? What color is their droppings like?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omejeo: 6:08pm On Feb 09, 2015
FarmTech:

Which vaccines and drugs have you given so far? What color is their droppings like?
i have given them iovaccine,gomborm vaccine,vitalyte,intergendox,,glucomol drug .thir dropping is ok.boss thanks for ur concern
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Globaby01: 8:35pm On Feb 09, 2015
FarmTech:
Sorry for the loss. Was the wound that big and serious?
yes, the wound was serious and congeal blood showing in her body
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by cosycee(m): 9:46pm On Feb 09, 2015
are u or do u hav anyone who is into agriculture business nd
seeks funding or anyone with a startup business plan..there is
huge fund waiting for u. please contact 08112953470 or
7FF232F1 ASAP LAGOS RESIDENT ONLY
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by huru: 3:12am On Feb 10, 2015
obnelly:

treatment.
. @ Obnelly how much is a good salary for farm attendants in a farm of 1000 and/or 5000 birds capacity? What disciplinary action would you take on your farm attendants if you lost 29 laying birds due to heat and 2 surface pumping machines, as a result of his/her failure to server/pump water for birds, and to use fogger or spray water on them. My people poultry business is very stressful especially when you have attendants who aren't serious and/or do not value your investment. It's not also easy to get loyal employees nowadays, it will help us all if farm management challenges and solutions are discus/shared, so we all can learn.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 5:40am On Feb 10, 2015
House. What are the pros & cons of administering Komorov injectible vaccine as against Lasota Oral vaccine on birds in lay? Won't the stress be too much to the point of affecting laying performance in the long term? The oral vaccine appears to be less potent cos of the heat stress. Opinions, please
For complete protection against NCD, you must give lasota several times at first and then inject with komorov. It's a must. If you have had bad experience with injecting komorov before, it is due to some other reasons you don't know about. Injectable vaccines are effective only after the oral ones has been given.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 7:48am On Feb 10, 2015
Eggcelent:
House. What are the pros & cons of administering Komorov injectible vaccine as against Lasota Oral vaccine on birds in lay? Won't the stress be too much to the point of affecting laying performance in the long term? The oral vaccine appears to be less potent cos of the heat stress. Opinions, please

my dear, i will advice u to use lasota oral. its not good to inject laying birds. i had a bad experience last year when my vet injected my birds. i lost many birds then. this happened around Apri/may last year. since then i have been giving them lasaota oral.

if the birds are already down with ND, injecting them will be a disaster. what i do monthly is to administer mild antibiotics 2-3 days before giving them lasota oral.

the advantage of giving injection is that it can last up to 3-6 months depending.

this is my opinion lets hear from the gurus

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 10:12am On Feb 10, 2015
huru:
. @ Obnelly how much is a good salary for farm attendants in a farm of 1000 and/or 5000 birds capacity? What disciplinary action would you take on your farm attendants if you lost 29 laying birds due to heat and 2 surface pumping machines, as a result of his/her failure to server/pump water for birds, and to use fogger or spray water on them. My people poultry business is very stressful especially when you have attendants who aren't serious and/or do not value your investment. It's not also easy to get loyal employees nowadays, it will help us all if farm management challenges and solutions are discus/shared, so we all can learn.

Huru, the bottom line is an average Nigerian is just too lazy they are not so productive and yet the want to make fortunes out of their employers.They want instant money on a daily bases this is one of the reasons why this country find it so difficult to move forward.No matter how hard you try for them that laziness and stealing atitude is always in their DNA.
I will also appreciate it if we can discuss the minimum wages to pay farm workers managing 1000birds .I wantto know if am over paying or underpaying my workers.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Homonide: 11:30am On Feb 10, 2015
Hello House,

Can anyone here please help with the cost of setting up a mini feed mill for a small farm, say a capacity of nothing more than 1 ton/hr (or less)? I need the total cost and the breakdown of the cost of the machines needed (crusher, mixer, gen, etc), including the feed mill house.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by huru: 11:50am On Feb 10, 2015
obnelly:

Huru, the bottom line is an average Nigerian is just too lazy they are not so productive and yet the want to make fortunes out of their employers.They want instant money on a daily bases this is one of the reasons why this country find it so difficult to move forward.No matter how hard you try for them that laziness and stealing atitude is always in their DNA.
I will also appreciate it if we can discuss the minimum wages to pay farm workers managing 1000birds .I wantto know if am over paying or underpaying my workers.
Oya all the Ogas in the house over to you, @ jamp how are your birds in this hot Abuja weather?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 3:54pm On Feb 10, 2015
omejeo:
i have given them iovaccine,gomborm vaccine,vitalyte,intergendox,,glucomol drug .thir dropping is ok.boss thanks for ur concern
I will advise you to go for lab test since it is impossible to tell what is wrong in this case. The lab test will also tell you the best antibiotic to use because some bacteria are now becoming resistant to some antibiotics. That's why if you give some antibiotics the birds won't respond to it. I'll also recommend you read this to see where you're getting it wrong: http://www.farmersjoint.com/Thread-Chickens-10-Tips-on-How-to-Avoid-Early-Chick-Mortalities
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 4:07pm On Feb 10, 2015
For complete protection against NCD, you must give lasota several times at first and then inject with komorov. It's a must. If you have had bad experience with injecting komorov before, it is due to some other reasons you don't know about. Injectable vaccines are effective only after the oral ones has been given.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 4:20pm On Feb 10, 2015
omejeo:

Test will be good but are you sure your water doesn't have cholera.fowl cholera can be very deadly if not dictect at the early stage I lost over 60 last two years.test result shows they have cholera.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:18pm On Feb 10, 2015
huru:
Oya all the Ogas in the house over to you, @ jamp how are your birds in this hot Abuja weather?

my brother, the wheather is too hot. its really affecting my birds. the production dropped since the wheather became hot.

At 6pm the wheather is still very hot. i cant wait for us to pass this period. kai
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 5:47pm On Feb 10, 2015
FarmTech:

bros are you saying i can administer Komorov to the birds now. i have been giving them lasota oral since May last year

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.