Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,902 members, 7,828,183 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges (11479 Views)

Umahi Wins As Appeal Court Dismisses Case, To Remain Governor / Malami: I Didn’t Ignore Osinbajo’s Directives On APC Ward Congresses / Lagosians Groan As VIOs Violate Sanwo-Olu's Directives On Morning Operations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by SandraJane: 7:47am On Feb 10, 2021
The Central Bank of Nigeria on Tuesday, said the Federal High Court sitting in Abeokuta, Ogun State Capital, dismissed a suit instituted by a legal practitioner, Olumide Babalola, challenging the CBN policy on current account maintenance fee contained in the guide to the charges by banks and other financial institutions of January 2020.

It disclosed this in a statement titled, ‘Court dismisses case against CBN’s directives on bank charges’.

The CBN stated that, “Babalola had instituted the action in the name of his law firm, Babalola LP, in which he contended that the policy and guidelines of the CBN violated his fundamental human rights.

“The CBN, through its counsel, Adeleke Agbola, of Cheakley Chambers, however challenged the suit on the ground that the plaintiff lacked the legal capacity to institute the suit on a policy that affects the public.

“In his notice of preliminary objection to the suit, Agbola had contended that the plaintiff failed to show that the CBN acted in bad faith or breached any law by issuing the guidelines.”

It stated that the trial judge, Justice Shittu Abubakar, after careful analysis of the case, on Wednesday, February 3, 2021, dismissed the suit in its entirety for lacking in merit and upheld the preliminary objection.

According to the statement, the court held that guidelines issued by the CBN, authorising deduction of current account maintenance charges was lawful and within the statutory powers of CBN.

The court also concurred with the argument canvassed by the CBN counsel that the plaintiff had not shown that the CBN breached any known law by issuing the guidelines, it stated.

It noted that Abubakar also held that the plaintiff/applicant ought to have negotiated with his bank, Access Bank Plc for a reduction of his charges instead of dragging the CBN to court.
https://punchng.com/court-dismisses-case-against-cbns-directives-on-bank-charges/

1 Share

Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by Nobody: 8:04am On Feb 10, 2021
They just want to finish the common man in this country!

We don't have a proper working judicial system again. They are ALL corrupt!

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by dalongjnr: 8:05am On Feb 10, 2021
"The operator could have negotiate with the bank instead of taking CBN to the court".
Now if every costumer is to go and negotiate bank charges, will the banking hall content all the costumers?
This judgement should be appealed.

10 Likes

Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by sofeo(m): 9:09am On Feb 10, 2021
Ok
Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by tstx(m): 9:09am On Feb 10, 2021
Lol... Baba think say him dey US.

1 Like

Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by Mayng01(m): 9:10am On Feb 10, 2021
Hmmm ! Once upon a country
Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by sapientia(m): 9:10am On Feb 10, 2021
Tankonized Judgement
Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by Kingrefreshed: 9:11am On Feb 10, 2021
SandraJane:

https://punchng.com/court-dismisses-case-against-cbns-directives-on-bank-charges/

Why can't they richest man in the world come and buy over Nigeria and manage it like an App

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by FalseProphet1(m): 9:11am On Feb 10, 2021
I see the presidency borrowing money from the account of Nigerians soon without their consent, I see Nigerians revert back to the old ways of saving money inside cooking pot, kolo, socks under bed...etc. because their money isn't safe anymore in banks. This I have seen.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by edo3(m): 9:11am On Feb 10, 2021
Wetin dey pain me pass be say ma lean acct,, UBA go still deduct like 900naira monthly.. The say is SMS charge.. There was a time I was having like 1500 bal,, and normally they do remove it on d 27th of every month.. So that day was 23rd,, so i had no fear.. To my surprise,, woke up in d morning with d hope of assured breakfast not knowing i was deceiving myself.. I got to d POS stand,, d operator told me insufficient fund and i told her to check again,, still insufficient fund. I just login my UBA app,, to my surprise,, they deducted d money around 2am leaving me wt 600naira bal. I wan cry that day..

My question now is,, to be a Nigerian na sin? They talk about salary increment for both public and civil servant everyday, what about we that are not on govt pay roll? They moment they increased their salaries, it affect d common man on d street that don't av shishi.. They should not push some of us to d wall oo wt ds their stupid policies.. Anini and shina Rambo would be a learner when it happens..

13 Likes

Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by Nobody: 9:12am On Feb 10, 2021
cheesy
Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by EDYDO(m): 9:13am On Feb 10, 2021
My kwontiri My kwontiri
Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by Tonymario58: 9:14am On Feb 10, 2021
We don't expect the opposite
Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by mnwogu(m): 9:14am On Feb 10, 2021
We MUST all enjoy this govt to the fullest by fire by thunder. So that by 2023, we can now get small sense to choose wisely.
Next is increase in petrol pump price to #190.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by FBIBOT(m): 9:15am On Feb 10, 2021
Most of these cases are ruled in the bar/club.. The one in the court is just eye service

2 Likes

Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by globalresource: 9:15am On Feb 10, 2021
For my mental health. I don't want to talk too much about Nigeria again

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by elmessiahs(m): 9:18am On Feb 10, 2021
lady justicia sees and doesn't use glasses or blindfolds
Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by Angelmichael63: 9:19am On Feb 10, 2021
NIGERIA WHICH WAY.

MAY GOD HELP US IN THIS COUNTRY.
Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by OAM4LJ: 9:20am On Feb 10, 2021
Okay
Let's watch the drama
Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by dfrost: 9:20am On Feb 10, 2021
FalseProphet1:
I see the presidency borrowing money from the account of Nigerians soon without their consent, I see Nigerians revert back to the old ways of saving money inside cooking pot, kolo, socks under bed...etc. because their money isn't safe anymore in banks. This u have seen.

cheesy grin Stop seeing things in Nigeria. It's not good for your mental health. This (I guess) you have also seen.

2 Likes

Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by dayleke: 9:27am On Feb 10, 2021
Kingrefreshed:

Why can't they richest man in the world come and buy over Nigeria and manage it like an App

Not that easy and simple jare...

It's a sovereign state.
Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by smarkorg(m): 9:27am On Feb 10, 2021
FalseProphet1:
I see the presidency borrowing money from the account of Nigerians soon without their consent, I see Nigerians revert back to the old ways of saving money inside cooking pot, kolo, socks under bed...etc. because their money isn't safe anymore in banks. This u have seen.

I missed your prophesies man. grin

Please wash your eyes very well, you fit see men of the underworld requesting for cooking pots instead of ATM pin.. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by dayleke: 9:27am On Feb 10, 2021
dfrost:

cheesy grin Stop seeing things in Nigeria. It's not good for your mental health. This (I guess) you have also seen.

You are funny
Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by Blingblings(m): 9:28am On Feb 10, 2021
Truly banks dey suffocate us for this country. Even that card maintenance charge too na scam. How exactly are they maintaining the card? I hardly get alerts but monthly them go still charge for sms. Abi na stamp duty? If money enter my account I go pay, if I I wan send I go pay, Omo since I begin use Kuda and Piggyvest I know sey banks na criminals them be... Zenith Bank una papa

1 Like

Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by dayleke: 9:28am On Feb 10, 2021
globalresource:
For my mental health. I don't want to talk too much about Nigeria again

But e dey your mind and you dey think am....
Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by Godbless3(m): 9:28am On Feb 10, 2021
Wirese:
Cbn is foolish aswear

CBN just like other agency is a tool of a ruling government to generate fund for looting.
The judiciary is foolish here because it should be protecting the common man. Instead they want each customer to negotiate with their respective banks which CBN has already gave them order to increase maintenance fee to reduce it for the customer.

1 Like

Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by Jerryherd: 9:30am On Feb 10, 2021
CBN are the current SARS, they are problem to everyone
Re: Court Dismisses Case Against CBN’s Directives On Bank Charges by Nobody: 9:34am On Feb 10, 2021
grin
smarkorg:

I missed your prophesies man. grin

Please wash your eyes very well, you fit see men of the underworld requesting for cooking pots instead of ATM pin.. cheesy
grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Kano Hisbah Oppresses And Brutalizes The Poor / PDP ‘plans Credible Presidential Primary’ / Nigerian Pensioners Protest, Demand Review Of Minimum Pension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.