Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:37 AM

Science Confirms The Bible - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Science Confirms The Bible (37765 Views)

Science Confirms Eucharistic Miracles / Science Confirms Life After Death! / Science Confirms The Bible - False (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Science Confirms The Bible by Image123(m): 11:17pm On Apr 14, 2011
Hee haa
Little David killed Goliath, alleluia.
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by Image123(m): 11:27pm On Apr 14, 2011
REMARKs: This guy on scholarship is not showing any gratitude. He's unthankful and not ready to sit and learn, a mark/pointer that we're in the last days.
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by thehomer: 11:34pm On Apr 14, 2011
Image123:

Hee haa

Image123:

REMARKs: This guy on scholarship is not showing any gratitude. He's unthankful and not ready to sit and learn, a mark/pointer that we're in the last days.

Sooo is this your best response?
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:43pm On Apr 14, 2011
The Case For A Creator -- Lee Strobel, a former atheist giving the evidence of God.

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUw6aRB9VMg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/flash]

"Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith.  If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God."

-- Nanoscientist James Tour, Rice University.
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by thehomer: 11:52pm On Apr 14, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

The Case For A Creator -- Lee Strobel, a former atheist giving the evidence of God.

. . .

"Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith.  If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God."

-- Nanoscientist James Tour, Rice University.

I've already advised you on simply quoting random people yet you persist. Why will you not learn? Then Lee Srobel? That guy is a bloody joker. Which of his arguments do you find convincing?
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:03am On Apr 15, 2011
thehomer:

I've already advised you on simply quoting random people yet you persist. Why will you not learn? Then Lee Srobel? That guy is a bloody joker. Which of his arguments do you find convincing?

You cannot stop me from quoting from the Bible, creationists, evolutionists who are atheists or whoever makes sense.  If you don't want to be confused with the facts then hide your head like the proverbial ostrich.

This is what the Former atheist Lee Strobel, had to say and I hope that you take a cue from this:

"Essentially, I realized that to stay an atheist, I would have to believe that nothing produces everything; non-life produces life; randomness produces fine-tuning; chaos produces information; unconsciousness produces consciousness; and non-reason produces reason. Those leaps of faith were simply too big for me to take, especially in light of the affirmative case for God's existence . . .  In other words, in my assessment the Christian worldview accounted for the totality of the evidence much better than the atheistic worldview."
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:16am On Apr 15, 2011
Image123:

Hee haa

thehomer and his likes will simply dismiss the claim that David killed Goliath because it does not appeal to his personal, unargued sense of what is possible. To him it is not possible for little David to kill Goliath, and that is if he even acknowledges David existed despite the archaeological evidence I posted earlier.
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:24am On Apr 15, 2011
Image123:

It is true that you can't teach a pig to sing as I had told him earlier but God willing he might eventually sing if push comes to shove.  Watch how the pig and sheep in Australia in this videoclip and see how difficult it was for Taylor Mason make them sing.  The sheep named Robert in particular said he could not make him sing.

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-14f0l13dw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmrevhzVcD8&feature=related
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:37pm On Apr 15, 2011

The Evidence of Physics and Cosmology:

[flash=500,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN2oc7l1mPU&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/flash]
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:21pm On Apr 15, 2011
This is a MIT Physicist conclusion about this universe and all that it contains:

"The exquisite order displayed by our scientific understanding of the physical world calls for the divine." -- MIT Physicist, Vera Kistiakowski.
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:22pm On Apr 15, 2011
The Case For A Creator

Watch as Lee Strobel, a journalist investigates scientific evidence that points toward God in the videolinks below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaXD0fkkoWo&feature=related
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by thehomer: 11:36pm On Apr 15, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

You cannot stop me from quoting from the Bible, creationists, evolutionists who are atheists or whoever makes sense.  If you don't want to be confused with the facts then hide your head like the proverbial ostrich.

This is what the Former atheist Lee Strobel, had to say and I hope that you take a cue from this:

"Essentially, I realized that to stay an atheist, I would have to believe that nothing produces everything; non-life produces life; randomness produces fine-tuning; chaos produces information; unconsciousness produces consciousness; and non-reason produces reason. Those leaps of faith were simply too big for me to take, especially in light of the affirmative case for God's existence . . .  In other words, in my assessment the Christian worldview accounted for the totality of the evidence much better than the atheistic worldview." 

I'm not trying to stop you. I'm simply pointing out that you cannot make convincing arguments that way so doing that is simply waste of bandwidth.
You've still not presented the argument of his that is your favourite.
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:49pm On Apr 15, 2011
thehomer:

I'm not trying to stop you. I'm simply pointing out that you cannot make convincing arguments that way so doing that is simply waste of bandwidth.
You've still not presented the argument of his that is your favourite.

Listening and reading from the testimonies of former atheists such as Patrick Glynn makes me glorify the Lord for bringing about the necessary changes in people's life.

"Today, the concrete data point strongly in the direction of the God hypothesis.  Those who wish to oppose it have no testable theory to marshal, only speculations about unseen universes spun from fertile imaginations . . . Ironically, the picture of the universe given to us by the most advanced science is closer in spirit to the vision presented in the Book of Genesis than anything offered by science since Copernicus."
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:43am On Apr 16, 2011
"The wind goes toward the south, and turns about to the north; it whirls about continually, and the wind returns again according to his circuits." -- Ecclesiastes 1:6

"Modern science has confirmed that the air around the planet turns in huge circles, clockwise in one hemisphere and counterclockwise in the other." -- Richard Gunter

King Solomon described a cycle of air currents 2,000 years before scientists discovered them!

1 Like

Re: Science Confirms The Bible by thehomer: 2:09pm On Apr 16, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

Listening and reading from the testimonies of former atheists such as Patrick Glynn makes me glorify the Lord for bringing about the necessary changes in people's life.

"Today, the concrete data point strongly in the direction of the God hypothesis.  Those who wish to oppose it have no testable theory to marshal, only speculations about unseen universes spun from fertile imaginations . . . Ironically, the picture of the universe given to us by the most advanced science is closer in spirit to the vision presented in the Book of Genesis than anything offered by science since Copernicus." 

I've already presented arguments ruling out the Christian God. Why don't you try refuting them rather than quoting some random person?
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by thehomer: 2:18pm On Apr 16, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

"The wind goes toward the south, and turns about to the north; it whirls about continually, and the wind returns again according to his circuits." -- Ecclesiastes 1:6

"Modern science has confirmed that the air around the planet turns in huge circles, clockwise in one hemisphere and counterclockwise in the other." -- Richard Gunter

King Solomon described a cycle of air currents 2,000 years before scientists discovered them!

Did you notice that the verses before and after this verse are known to be wrong? The interpretation by the man you're quoting is actually not relevant to the Biblical quote. And the wind sometimes goes the other way around.
I notice how each time your claim is refuted you do not acknowledge this you just gallop on to the next false claim. This among others is a bad sign.
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:24pm On Apr 16, 2011
thehomer:

I've already presented arguments ruling out the Christian God. Why don't you try refuting them rather than quoting some random person?

Why don't you read and learn from these intelligent former atheists who have now become wiser instead of foolishly arguing blindly?
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by thehomer: 2:55pm On Apr 16, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

Why don't you read and learn from these intelligent former atheists who have now become wiser instead of foolishly arguing blindly?

Sitting around and blindly quoting people is not presenting an argument. For you to present an argument, you actually need to think about the argument and present it in a rational manner.
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:15pm On Apr 16, 2011
thehomer:

Sitting around and blindly quoting people is not presenting an argument. For you to present an argument, you actually need to think about the argument and present it in a rational manner.

It appears image123's advise would come in handy here.  It would be wise to leave you to your own folly.  If the Light doesn't move you the heat will.

Image123:

@olaadegbu
i'm seeing things oh my brother. i still do pray that God will not give them up, but open their eyes to the Light.
1Timothy 6:20  O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Timothy 6:21  Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

May God's grace continue to be with you, and keep you from erring. Amen.
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by thehomer: 5:52pm On Apr 16, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

It appears image123's advise would come in handy here.  It would be wise to leave you to your own folly.  If the Light doesn't move you the heat will.

Now a shift to the threats of hell when arguments fail. Well this is to be expected from one such as yourself.
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by Kay17: 7:17pm On Apr 16, 2011
Plants according to the Bible was created on the third day while the Sun was on the fourth. A big problem here, someone failed to consider the fact that plant rely on sunlight for survival. A primitive bronze age man wouldn't have known.

The Bible claims also that the massive universe, was created within a week! and the omnipotent and eternal God rested! after so much labour.

Also, amazing or rather ridiculous stories include Adam and Eve being the founders of humankind, and surprisingly, there descendants today include the mongoloid(Chinese, Japanese&Korean) dark-skinned Negroes, Caucasians(Europeans), the South Americans and the Native Americans. How these people with these wide variation and differences came from monoethnic parents without evolution is amazing and requires serious explanations.

The manner which the delicate insects of the Amazon Forest managed to cross the Big Pond to arrive somewhere in the MiddleEast to enter Noah's ark is yet to be explained by our Christian apologists or how kangaroos from faraway Australia got to MiddleEast. Also how freshwater creatures survived when their habitat was was diluted with seawater and viceversa.

In Job 11:9 it says that heaven and hell's measurements are "Their measure is longer than the earth And broader than the sea". How long is a sphere? There is no length in a sphere. Now a flat two dimensional object would have a length.

Isaiah 40:22- It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And it's inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.
But anyone with a basic grasp of geometry knows what a circle is. It's a flat, two dimensional object. According to these scriptures, the earth is shaped like a CD. Again, as much as many people want to believe this proves that the world is a sphere, they are only proving the Bible talks of a flat earth. There are many who say "it says circle, it got the shape right". But this was also a common mistake of the day. People thought the earth was shaped like a plate. They got this belief because if they pointed at the horizon and they spin while tracing the horizon, it appears that they live on a flat circle. And they could travel 1000 miles and do the same thing and they got the same result. It made sense.

In Genesis 1:6-8 God created a firmament (which he named "Heaven"wink to divide the water on earth and the water in the sky. Do we really have a solid sky holding water over us? How the heck did we get to the moon? Does the space shuttle have a "firmament opener" on the front of it? This would explain why every time it rained in the Bible, that God had to "open the windows of heaven" (Gen. 7:1 and Isa. 24:18 are examples). These openings allowed all the water above the solid sky to leak out. Maybe we broke a window on our first space mission, and have flown out the broken window every time since.

"Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;" - Job 38:6
This leaves off the impression that the earth is stationary. Foundation connotes a structure to hoist a building, to give solidity and not fluidity, why would there be a reference to a foundation with our modern knowledge of the earth? A cornerstone? where? pls apologists explain this.

In Genesis 1:16 says "And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also." According to this, the moon is a light source just like the sun, only not as bright. If this was the case, we couldn't land on the moon, it would be too hot. It is also strange that it took God the day to make the sun and the moon, but the stars are portrayed as an afterthought of sorts. "He made the stars also", this is a definite sign that the Bible is inspired by man. It is clear that man could not have perceived that the stars were the same as the sun, but in most cases much larger. Naturally they thought that these specks were just thrown about. The verse should read "God created the stars and planetary objects, he also made the earth, sun, and moon". But man, in those days, would have never seen it that way.

There are also demons and spirits responsible for sicknesses and diseases and how blood cures leprosy!
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:24am On Apr 17, 2011
You appear to be sincere in your quest for answers to these questions.  I don't promise to know all the answers but I know the One who has all the answers and as I will have to climb upon the shoulders of some giants that are ahead of me  I will be furnishing you with the answers but you have to be diligently seeking for these answers with an open mind and you will find them.

Kay 17:

Plants according to the Bible was created on the third day while the Sun was on the fourth. A big problem here, someone failed to consider the fact that plant rely on sunlight for survival. A primitive bronze age man wouldn't have known.

It would be a big problem only if the sun is the only source of light.  What plants need is light and not necessary sunlight for their survival.  When did God create light?

Kay 17:

The Bible claims also that the massive universe, was created within a week! and the omnipotent and eternal God rested! after so much labour.

"For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day.  Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabath day and hallowed it" -- Exodus 20:11

This Scripture verse tells us why God made the week 7 days long.  He made it so just for us.  He created everything in 6 days and rested on the 7th day.  God did not have to rest but He was setting a pattern for us to follow, He could have done it in a split second if He wanted to.  Why do you think we have a 7 day week?  If you don't take a day off work in 7 days you will break down.  So, God is showing us that we can work 6 days and rest for one.

Kay 17:

Also, amazing or rather ridiculous stories include Adam and Eve being the founders of humankind, and surprisingly, there descendants today include the mongoloid(Chinese, Japanese&Korean) dark-skinned Negroes, Caucasians(Europeans), the South Americans and the Native Americans. How these people with these wide variation and differences came from monoethnic parents without evolution is amazing and requires serious explanations.

"And He made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings" -- Acts 17:26.

People are some shade of brown, because we all have a brown pigment in our skin called melanin.  This is what makes us the shade of colour that we are.  Some have a lot of melanin and they would be very dark and some don't have as much melanin which would make them lighter in complexion.  Adam and Eve must have had a medium brown amount of pigment.  From such 2 medium brown folks, they would be able to pass on their genes to produce a very dark child or really light one.  We all do have the same type of skin colour it is just that the amount of melanin varies from person to person.

Kay 17:

The manner which the delicate insects of the Amazon Forest managed to cross the Big Pond to arrive somewhere in the MiddleEast to enter Noah's ark is yet to be explained by our Christian apologists or how kangaroos from faraway Australia got to MiddleEast. Also how freshwater creatures survived when their habitat was was diluted with seawater and viceversa.

"Of the birds after their kind, of animals after their kind, and of every creeping thing of the earth after its kind, two of every kind will come to you to keep them alive" -- Genesis 6:20

Those "kangaroos" were commanded by God to come to the ark.  There are several instances where God uses animals to do His bidding, I know this may seem impossible to you but God is a great Creator.  He sent Jonah to the "University of Whales" where he learnt how not to play games with God but to obey promptly, He commanded the ravens to feed Elijah.  He is the same God who clearly chose which animals would join Noah and how they will get there.  After all, God is the Creator, and they had to obey their Creator, just as we need to obey the Creator, the Lord Jesus.

And as of the freshwater creatures, we know that many of them were killed in the Flood because most of the fossils we have are of sea creatures.  The Flood was hard on them because the water was "ruff," the mud and sediment buried them, and the water temperatures and amount of salt were changing.  But God allowed enough of them to survive the Flood so that we still have all the sea creature kinds we see today.

Kay 17:

In Job 11:9 it says that heaven and hell's measurements are "Their measure is longer than the earth And broader than the sea". How long is a sphere? There is no length in a sphere. Now a flat two dimensional object would have a length.

That verse is talking about the knowledge of God.  I suggest that you read the whole chapter for better understanding and in its proper context.

Kay 17:

Isaiah 40:22- It is He who sits above the circle of the earth, And it's inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.
But anyone with a basic grasp of geometry knows what a circle is. It's a flat, two dimensional object. According to these scriptures, the earth is shaped like a CD. Again, as much as many people want to believe this proves that the world is a sphere, they are only proving the Bible talks of a flat earth. There are many who say "it says circle, it got the shape right". But this was also a common mistake of the day. People thought the earth was shaped like a plate. They got this belief because if they pointed at the horizon and they spin while tracing the horizon, it appears that they live on a flat circle. And they could travel 1000 miles and do the same thing and they got the same result. It made sense.

I believe I have given sufficient explanation to this question in my previous posts.  See the parts I emboldened below:

OLAADEGBU:

This is a classical case of how these humanists take some biblical passages out of context and try to impose a strictly literal meaning on some prophetic and poetic passages as I earlier mentioned.  Revelation 7:1 for example, refers to the four corners of the earth, and is obviously refering to the directions of North, South, East and West.  Poetic passages such as Psalm 75:3, which refers to the "pillars" of the earth figuratively, are also being used to discredit Christians by these skeptics who believe in the humanist religion.

You need to study the Hebrew word "khug", translated "Compassed" in Job 26:10 and "Compass" in Proverbs 8:27.  All 3, when read in context, clearly refer to the sphericity of the earth.

Kay 17:

In Genesis 1:6-8 God created a firmament (which he named "Heaven"wink to divide the water on earth and the water in the sky. Do we really have a solid sky holding water over us? How the heck did we get to the moon? Does the space shuttle have a "firmament opener" on the front of it? This would explain why every time it rained in the Bible, that God had to "open the windows of heaven" (Gen. 7:1 and Isa. 24:18 are examples). These openings allowed all the water above the solid sky to leak out. Maybe we broke a window on our first space mission, and have flown out the broken window every time since.

I will have to get back to you on this one.  Check this suggested link for clues.

http://creation.com/gods-mighty-expanse

Kay 17:

"Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;" - Job 38:6
This leaves off the impression that the earth is stationary. Foundation connotes a structure to hoist a building, to give solidity and not fluidity, why would there be a reference to a foundation with our modern knowledge of the earth? A cornerstone? where? pls apologists explain this.

Here is the scientific fact revealed in Scripture regarding the earth:

"He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing." -- Job 26:7.

How about this verse that says the earth is suspended in space?  If I say that I my faith is built on a strong foundation what do you think I mean?

Kay 17:

In Genesis 1:16 says "And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also." According to this, the moon is a light source just like the sun, only not as bright. If this was the case, we couldn't land on the moon, it would be too hot. It is also strange that it took God the day to make the sun and the moon, but the stars are portrayed as an afterthought of sorts. "He made the stars also", this is a definite sign that the Bible is inspired by man. It is clear that man could not have perceived that the stars were the same as the sun, but in most cases much larger. Naturally they thought that these specks were just thrown about. The verse should read "God created the stars and planetary objects, he also made the earth, sun, and moon". But man, in those days, would have never seen it that way.

"Then God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night.  He made the stars also . . . So the evening and the morning were the fourth day" -- Genesis 1:16,19

What these verses are telling us is that God made the sun, moon and stars on the fourth day.  Even though the Bible doesn't specifically say "planets," it is correct to say that the Hebrew word translated "star" included the planets that God spoke into existence on that great day!  God also tells us that He hung these "lights" in the heavens for signs, seasons, days and years.  The earth is actually 3 days older than all the stars and planets, since the earth was created on Day 1!

Kay 17:

There are also demons and spirits responsible for sicknesses and diseases and how blood cures leprosy!

You are now straying into the spiritual realm.  Lets understand the natural laws before we start to talk about the supernatural.
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by Nobody: 4:34am On Apr 17, 2011
Kay 17:

The manner which the delicate insects of the Amazon Forest managed to cross the Big Pond to arrive somewhere in the MiddleEast to enter Noah's ark is yet to be explained by our Christian apologists or [color=#990000]how kangaroos from faraway Australia got to MiddleEast. [/color] Also how freshwater creatures survived when their habitat was was diluted with seawater and viceversa.

In Genesis 1:6-8 God created a firmament (which he named "Heaven"wink to divide the water on earth and the water in the sky. Do we really have a solid sky holding water over us? How the heck did we get to the moon? Does the space shuttle have a "firmament opener" on the front of it? This would explain why every time it rained in the Bible, that God had to "open the windows of heaven" (Gen. 7:1 and Isa. 24:18 are examples). These openings allowed all the water above the solid sky to leak out. [b]Maybe we broke a window on our first space mission, and have flown out the broken window every time since."[/b]Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;" - Job 38:6

don't mind olaadegbu and his typical nonsensical christian apologist replies. I have even better explanantions for two your of questions in bold. They make sense, if you REALLY think about it.

1) Kangaroos- In those days the continents were much closer and Kangaroos were also bigger. There were also small islands everywhere on the oceans back then before the flood destroyed them all. Now, imagine the olympics long jump event.  Big Kangaroos and enough space to get a head start? They were jumping from Island to Isalnd like Carl Lewis. Praise God.

2)Space Missions: I know for a FACT that the water still remains above the firmament. The International Space Station floats on it just like ships float on rivers on earth. My pastor told me.
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by Nobody: 5:20am On Apr 17, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

"Then God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night.  He made the stars also . . . So the evening and the morning were the fourth day" -- Genesis 1:16,19

What these verses are telling us is that God made the sun, moon and stars on the fourth day.  Even though the Bible doesn't specifically say "planets," it is correct to say that the Hebrew word translated "star" included the planets that God spoke into existence on that great day!  God also tells us that He hung these "lights" in the heavens for signs, seasons, days and years.  [b]The earth is actually 3 days older than all the stars and planets, since the earth was created on Day 1![/b]You are now straying into the spiritual realm.  Lets understand the natural laws before we start to talk about the supernatural.

Your ignorance always make me laugh. I hope you don't have influence over children because you will turn them into some mentally handicapped fundies.
All the explanations you gave are just  shocked!!! I typed  shocked because I think some linguist needs to come up with a new word for this kind of brain dead reasoning.

Talk about anthropocentrism, you take it to the extreme!!! All the way to the very edge of the universe. EVERYTHING WAS CREATED FOR A BUNCH OF TALKING PRIMATES ON A TINY ROCK IN THE OUTERMOST PART OF ONE GALAXY. EVEN GALAXIES MILLIONS OF LIGHT YEARS AWAY WERE CREATED JUST FOR US. THE ASTEROIDS, COMETS, BLACK HOLES, GAS CLOUDS, RED DWARF STARS, THE SUPERNOVAS, ALL OF IT WERE CREATED AFTER THE EARTH FOR THE PLEASURE OF TWO HAIRLESS APES LIVING IN A GARDEN.

The freaking sun is approximately 99% of our solar system and damn near everything in this solar system came from remnants of the birth of the sun. Without the sun, there is no earth, no plants, no animals (HUMANS INCLUDED)no idea about some eternal life, THERE IS NOTHING (at least in this part of the universe).
The sun should send a couple of photons to smack your as$ for that disrespect.
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:43pm On Apr 17, 2011
What kind of faith do you have?

Re: Science Confirms The Bible by Kay17: 8:11pm On Apr 17, 2011
People are some shade of brown, because we all have a brown pigment in our skin called melanin. This is what makes us the shade of colour that we are. Some have a lot of melanin and they would be very dark and some don't have as much melanin which would make them lighter in complexion. Adam and Eve must have had a medium brown amount of pigment. From such 2 medium brown folks, they would be able to pass on their genes to produce a very dark child or really light one. We all do have the same type of skin colour it is just that the amount of melanin varies from person to person.
I must commend your efforts.

The kind of variations i had in mind included not only skin colour but facial differences, general body sizes, disease resistant, . . .
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by mantraa: 8:47pm On Apr 17, 2011
@Olaadegbu
There is a huge problem with the 7 day creation story. The writers knew nothing about the speed of light and the vast distances between stars and galaxies in space.

It has been measured that Light travels at approx 186,000 miles per second, Yet it takes light from the nearest star to us, excluding the sun, four years to reach us. Other stars on the other side of our own galaxy are a hundred thousand light years away. This means that they must have existed at least a hundred thousand years ago for us to be seeing them now.
The next closest galaxy to ours is the Andromeda galaxy. This galaxy is 2.5 million light years away. How can all the billions of stars and planets in it have been created on the third day 6000 years ago. It must have existed at least 2.5 million years ago because it has taken the light from it 2.5 million years to reach us.

When you look at the objects in the night sky the light from them has taken millions of years to reach your eyes. Through the most powerful telescopes you can see distant galaxies that are over 13 billion years old.

How can we see things that are billions of light years away if it has not taken the light from these objects billions of years to reach us here on earth?

Why didn't the writers of genesis take this into consideration when they wrote the story? Did they not know about these scientific facts?
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:49pm On Apr 18, 2011
Kay 17:

I must commend your efforts.

The kind of variations i had in mind included not only skin colour but facial differences, general body sizes, disease resistant, . . .

I also commend your open mindedness as you thoughfully assess these answers.

These facial differences you are referring to are only minor variations among people groups. Scientists have discovered that the basic genetic differences between any two people group anywhere in the world is only about 0.2%. And the so called facial differences that you think are major differences only account for 0.012% of human biological variation.

If a Caucasian is looking for a tissue match for an organ transplant, for instance, don't be surprised that the best match might come from a Negro! This is what ABC News claimed:

"What the facts show is that there are differences among us, but they stem from culture, not race."

And may I add environmental factors here when it comes to cases such as sicle cell among our West African folks, this is not common among black Africans in other parts of the continent. The only reason many people think these differences are major is because they have been brought up in a culture that has taught them to see the difference this way. If the Bible teaches and science confirms that all are of the same human race and all are related as descendants of Adam, then why are there such seemingly great differences between us? The answer again, comes with a biblically informed understanding of science.

Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:36pm On Apr 18, 2011
mantraa:

@Olaadegbu
There is a huge problem with the 7 day creation story. The writers knew nothing about the speed of light and the vast distances between stars and galaxies in space.

It has been measured that Light travels at approx 186,000 miles per second, Yet it takes light from the nearest star to us, excluding the sun, four years to reach us. Other stars on the other side of our own galaxy are a hundred thousand light years away. This means that they must have existed at least a hundred thousand years ago for us to be seeing them now.
The next closest galaxy to ours is the Andromeda galaxy. This galaxy is 2.5 million light years away. How can all the billions of stars and planets in it have been created on the third day 6000 years ago. It must have existed at least 2.5 million years ago because it has taken the light from it 2.5 million years to reach us.

When you look at the objects in the night sky the light from them has taken millions of years to reach your eyes. Through the most powerful telescopes you can see distant galaxies that are over 13 billion years old.

How can we see things that are billions of light years away if it has not taken the light from these objects billions of years to reach us here on earth?

Why didn't the writers of genesis take this into consideration when they wrote the story? Did they not know about these scientific facts?

"The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows His handiwork" -- Psalm 19:1

We know from the dates God gives us in the Bible that He did create the whole universe about 6,000 years ago.  When we hear the term light-year, we need to realise that it is not a measure of time but a measure of distance, telling us how far away something is.  Distant stars and galaxies might be millions of light-years away, but that doesn't mean that it took millions of years for the light to get to earth, it just means it is really far away!

When God created the universe, everything was already working perfectly, exactly how He wanted it to work.  So, I believe the stars could be seen on earth as soon as God spoke them into existence.  While we enjoy the splendour of the night sky, we should remember that God created it to display His glory so we could behold how wonderful and powerful our Creator really is!

Re: Science Confirms The Bible by mantraa: 11:00pm On Apr 18, 2011
A light year is the distance that light travels in a year at a constant speed of 186000 miles per second. I know that a light year is a measure of distance. A light year is 5,865,696,000,000 miles. 
The closest star to Earth (besides our sun) is something like 24,000,000,000,000 miles ( 4 light years ) away. That's the closest star. There are stars that are billions of times farther away than that. When you start talking about those kinds of distances, a mile or kilometer just isn't a practical unit to use because the numbers get too big. No one wants to write or talk about numbers that have 20 digits in them! Thats why it is much more convenient to use the term light years to measure these immense distances.

However, using a light year as a distance measurement has another advantage -- it helps you determine age. Let's say that a star is 1 million light years away. Thats 1 million x 5,865,696,000,000 miles away. The light from that star has traveled at the speed of light (5,865,696,000,000 miles per year) to reach us. Therefore, it has taken the star's light 1 million years to get here, and the light we are seeing left the star 1 million years ago. So the star we are seeing is really how the star looked a million years ago, not how it looks today. In the same way, our sun is 8 or so light minutes away. If the sun were to suddenly explode right now, we wouldn't know about it for eight minutes because that is how long it would take for the light of the explosion to get here.

Light does not travel instantly across the universe. It has a constant velocity of 186000 miles per second. So if the universe was created only 6000 years ago as you claim then the light from stars and galaxies further than 6000 light years away (6000 x 5,865,696,000,000 miles) would not have reached us yet.

The fact that we can see galaxies that are 13 billion light years away means that they are 13 billion x 5,865,696,000,000 miles away and the light from them have been travelling for 13 billion years to reach us. We are seeing them as they were 13 billion years ago, just as when you look up at the sun you are seeing it as it was eight minutes ago.

Do you understand now? I hope that i have explained it well enough for you.
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:30am On Apr 19, 2011
mantraa:

A light year is the distance that light travels in a year at a constant speed of 186000 miles per second. I know that a light year is a measure of distance. A light year is 5,865,696,000,000 miles. 
The closest star to Earth (besides our sun) is something like 24,000,000,000,000 miles ( 4 light years ) away. That's the closest star. There are stars that are billions of times farther away than that. When you start talking about those kinds of distances, a mile or kilometer just isn't a practical unit to use because the numbers get too big. No one wants to write or talk about numbers that have 20 digits in them! Thats why it is much more convenient to use the term light years to measure these immense distances.

However, using a light year as a distance measurement has another advantage -- it helps you determine age. Let's say that a star is 1 million light years away. Thats 1 million x 5,865,696,000,000 miles away. The light from that star has traveled at the speed of light (5,865,696,000,000 miles per year) to reach us. Therefore, it has taken the star's light 1 million years to get here, and the light we are seeing left the star 1 million years ago. So the star we are seeing is really how the star looked a million years ago, not how it looks today. In the same way, our sun is 8 or so light minutes away. If the sun were to suddenly explode right now, we wouldn't know about it for eight minutes because that is how long it would take for the light of the explosion to get here.

Light does not travel instantly across the universe. It has a constant velocity of 186000 miles per second. So if the universe was created only 6000 years ago as you claim then the light from stars and galaxies further than 6000 light years away (6000 x 5,865,696,000,000 miles) would not have reached us yet.

The fact that we can see galaxies that are 13 billion light years away means that they are 13 billion x 5,865,696,000,000 miles away and the light from them have been travelling for 13 billion years to reach us. We are seeing them as they were 13 billion years ago, just as when you look up at the sun you are seeing it as it was eight minutes ago.

Do you understand now? I hope that i have explained it well enough for you.

It is your assumption that light years can be measured as distant starlight but do we know that light has always propagated at today's speed?  Particularly during Creation Week when God was acting in a supernatural way?  Are you certain that the Bible is using "cosmic universal time" instead of  the more common "cosmic local time" in which light reaches earth instantly?  Below is a suggested link to peruse and see how distant starlight has never been a legitimate argument against the biblical timescale of a few thousand years. Science truly confirms the Bible.

http://www.icr.org/article/starlight-age-universe/
Re: Science Confirms The Bible by harakiri(m): 1:38am On Apr 19, 2011
The moment i saw the title of this thread, i knew it was going to be lame and baseless.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

South African Church Seen Worshipping God In Style. Video / Apostle Suleman & His Wife Lizzy Playing Table Tennis, Also Playing Football / Palm Sunday: Ugandans Hired A White Man To Play Jesus For Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 179
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.