Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,443 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:56 PM

Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators (23017 Views)

Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery / CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" / Crypto Dilemma: Banking Public, Regulators Differ On Cryptocurrencies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by CSTRR: 1:04pm On Feb 25, 2021
It is like saying cars can be used to carry out robbery.
It doesn't mean cars are not a positive invention.

The US- and China are currently leading the world in bitcoin and block chain technology.
US banks are even unveiling bitcoin ATM machines.

The question Nigerians should have asked is why the US regulators are not stamping out bitcoin in America.

Nigerian govt mumu no be small.

4 Likes

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by ibawon(m): 1:05pm On Feb 25, 2021
What have been in use for ILLEGAL work before Cryptocurrency?
If you want to mine Bitcoin, Litecoin,Etherium but don't have a powerful Mining RIG, Biko talk to me on my signature
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by arsenal33: 1:09pm On Feb 25, 2021
GamalNasser:
Where are all the foolish Biden Supporters
are you still crying?
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Nobody: 1:10pm On Feb 25, 2021
Billyonaire666:
Makes no sense.

If you invest $100K on bitcoin as a store of value, you will expect it to double in value within a very short period of time, as a smart investor, you should withdraw the $100K in 3 digits batches and have just your profit sitting there to the moon.

The crypto future guarantees enjoyable future without work.

Just invest in future tech IPOs and ICOs and sit back and read books and watch movies and 'eat' from your money working in the hands of tech engineers and their technologies.

Savvy?

This is the future that your dull Federal Government is too ignorant to foresee.

And if one invention shuts the internet down

1 Like

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Nigga44: 1:11pm On Feb 25, 2021
Miyachi:

No, banks are not in any problem. Bitcoin has terrible UX. Transaction charges are higher that what you would pay locally at your bank for transfers. Where it shines is in it's decentralization which makes it censorship-resistant -- nobody can block your account or stop you from sending money to anybody. The sad thing is not many people have use for that feature so Nigerian banks are safe, or would you keep your life's saving in BTC?
Transaction fees for btc is actually lower than local bank transfer.

And yes, I can keep my life savings in bitcoin. Infact, I currently have about 90% of my entire savings in btc since march 2020. A lot of people I know do too. This is mainly because our naira is in a free fall.

Some of us traders don't actually see btc as a currency..... but mainly as a hedge against inflation. Our naira is almost worthless and even the Us federal reserve is printing dollars like crazy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by SavageResponse(m): 1:14pm On Feb 25, 2021
12inchess:

You don't need Fiat currency to back up any means of exchange. What you need is demand. There was a time when cowries was used as a means of exchange. What Fiat currency was backing that? As long as the means of exchange has value to majority of people, then it's viable.

You people need to stop pushing this lie, it is not practical to use an asset whose value fluctuates wildly as legal tender.

How would you feel if your salary is in Bitc0in? Today it's worth $50,000 and tomorrow it's worth $20,000. It means you don't have a stable salary and you cant's make realistic plans with it...no bank would even agree to lend you money because the value of your salary in future is indeterminate!

1 Like

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Ikillbrokehoes(m): 1:15pm On Feb 25, 2021
Billyonaire666:
Makes no sense.

If you invest $100K on bitcoin as a store of value, you will expect it to double in value within a very short period of time, as a smart investor, you should withdraw the $100K in 3 digits batches and have just your profit sitting there to the moon.

Just invest in future tech IPOs and ICOs and sit back and read books and watch movies and 'eat' from your money working in the hands of tech engineers and their technologies.

Savvy?

This is the future that your dull Federal Government is too ignorant to foresee.
Word!
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by SavageResponse(m): 1:17pm On Feb 25, 2021
CSTRR:
It is like saying cars can be used to carry out robbery.
It doesn't mean cars are not a positive invention.

The US- and China are currently leading the world in bitcoin and block chain technology.
US banks are even unveiling bitcoin ATM machines.

The question Nigerians should have asked is why the US regulators are not stamping out bitcoin in America.

Nigerian govt mumu no be small.

The CBN was being proactive!

If they had kept silent Nigerian banks would have started investing heavily in it and when the tide turns investors funds would have been lost leading to failure of the banks.

Those of you following Elon Musk would soon realise that the guy is ignorant and knows nothing about Finance...it's better for him to just stick with IT instead of the Pump and Dumb he keeps leading on social media angry
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Miyachi: 1:19pm On Feb 25, 2021
SavageResponse:

Yes fiat can also be used for illicit purpose but it leaves a money trail...crypto is virtually untraceable because the effort and resources required to trace it is very massive
True, but for a nation state it is negligible. Bitcoin leaves traces to, that's why you have bitcoin mixers that try to anonymize ownership by rinsing coins. It is only then that it becomes difficult but trust me the NSA or CIA or some other three-word US agency already has an algorithm to do just that.
In fact, if you google around you might find research papers that show how to do just that.

There is no true anonymity on the internet, only pseudo-anonymity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by SavageResponse(m): 1:24pm On Feb 25, 2021
ibawon:
What have been in use for ILLEGAL work before Cryptocurrency?
If you want to mine Bitcoin, Litecoin,Etherium but don't have a powerful Mining RIG, Biko talk to me on my signature

The reward is not worth the effort required to mine Bitc0in in Nigeria!
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Akpuobi1: 1:25pm On Feb 25, 2021
Don't the use Dollar and Niara to do illegal business

Or both the baby and the bathwater should all be thrown away
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by justinator: 1:26pm On Feb 25, 2021
Unmask both sender and receiver?... How possible ?
Miyachi:
Truth is fiat currency can also be used for illicit purposes.

Also note that Bitcoin is not truly anonymous as blockchain transactions can be traced, they include IP and other metadata. With a little time and effort you can unmask both sender and receiver.
I think the main issue is censorship and control. The United States needs the Dollar to be de facto world currency for trade so that they can threaten and control other countries by means of sanctions, trade embargoes, etc.

They don't control bitcoin and it is a threat to their control and dominance in the international financial market.
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by macrodata(m): 1:28pm On Feb 25, 2021
blamingthedevil:
It is fraud. It has no back up product , that serves as basis for transactions.
Do you know think Bitcoin is created out of thin air? Do you know what it cost to create one Bitcoin?
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by IamDavid(m): 1:28pm On Feb 25, 2021
USD can be used for illegal purposes.
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by SavageResponse(m): 1:29pm On Feb 25, 2021
GeneralPula:

Gov knows this.. They’re not daft and it was one of the reasons they’re avoiding btc market by all means.

Should 80% of citizens venture into bitcoin... Banks are in super problem !

That's not happening anytime soon.

So if you go to the mallam in the corners store nearby to by biscuits you will start asking him for his e-wallet address so that you can send him 0.00000024 Bitcoin abi? grin
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Kingrefreshed: 1:32pm On Feb 25, 2021
TheRareGem1:
And when CBN said the same thing in Nigeria people thought it was out of ignorance.

Many people even drag Osinbajo...abeg is he the CBN governor or the President?

Nigerians.

So the money in the bank cannot be used for anything Chai God why?

1 Like

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Miyachi: 1:34pm On Feb 25, 2021
Nigga44:
Transaction fees for btc is actually lower than local bank transfer.

And yes, I can keep my life savings in bitcoin. Infact, I currently have about 90% of my entire savings in btc since march 2020. A lot of people I know do too. This is mainly because our naira is in a free fall.

Some of us traders don't actually see btc as a currency..... but mainly as a hedge against inflation. Our naira is almost worthless and even the Us federal reserve is printing dollars like crazy.

Well, except if you're not bothered about the time it takes include you TX in the next block, most nodes prioritize TXs by the fees attached.

You have a point on the inflationary nature of the Naira, but Bitcoin as a store of vale is only for the brave.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Nobody: 1:39pm On Feb 25, 2021
TheRareGem1:

https://www.channelstv.com/2021/02/23/bitcoins-price-tumbles-after-us-regulator-says-it-can-be-used-for-illicit-purposes/

Every type of payment processor or cryptocurrency or bank account can be used for illicit purposes.
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Miyachi: 1:45pm On Feb 25, 2021
justinator:
Unmask both sender and receiver?... How possible ?
Every transaction is openly available on the blockchain. Most people reuse Bitcoin addresses, this makes it less anonymous. If you check many blockchain explorers you will find out that most exchanges have addresses that are linked to them.

Having the powers of a nation state, if you put two and two together you can easily find out who is sending what to who.

Even if you try to leave no traces, the person you're sending to might be using an address linked to an exchange. The US can easily get their records and find out who received the money you sent.

There will always be traces except if your exchanging your BTC for physical cash and never reusing wallet addresses but even then it's hard to say how safe you are.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by ProveThemWrong: 1:45pm On Feb 25, 2021
priceaction:

Lol, nothing like that. I hate them with passion especially those telegram nonsense. Many of them are looking for free money to thief.
Are you following the cryp..to thread here? if not, check some of my comments or posts and trace it to the thread.

It may be 70% of what you need and be careful of many of those groups and telegram links (they will soon arrive grin that may turn out to be scam.
I sent you a PM boss
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Rubbiish(m): 1:46pm On Feb 25, 2021
TheRareGem1:
And when CBN said the same thing in Nigeria people thought it was out of ignorance.

Nigerians.
Nonsense!
What is your definition of US regulator?
Don't people use dollar for illicit purpose?
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Rubbiish(m): 1:50pm On Feb 25, 2021
Karleb:
But the Naira and Dollar cannot be used for illegal purposes. Bravo! cool grin
Don't mind them!
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by AntiNigerian: 1:52pm On Feb 25, 2021
Miyachi:

No, banks are not in any problem. Bitcoin has terrible UX. Transaction charges are higher that what you would pay locally at your bank for transfers. Where it shines is in it's decentralization which makes it censorship-resistant -- nobody can block your account or stop you from sending money to anybody. The sad thing is not many people have use for that feature so Nigerian banks are safe, or would you keep your life's saving in BTC?
my entire savings are in crypto and it keeps appreciating every day, so what are you saying? grin cheesy .

Meanwhile go and buy some burger swap coins , that coin will soon blow! Can't wait to be rich! I already have close to 10! cheesy
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by blamingthedevil: 1:52pm On Feb 25, 2021
GamalNasser:
Where are all the foolish Biden Supporters

See another mumu
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by ohiz2007(m): 1:52pm On Feb 25, 2021
Do you mind them?

Crypto is the future now.

Take it or leave it.

Billyonaire666:
Makes no sense.

Savvy?

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by bigtt76(f): 1:52pm On Feb 25, 2021
Cowries you mentioned then was the major currency (the only one in use) and requires no Fiat currency to back it up. Without Fiat currency, how do you trade or take out your profit from the system? How do you convert it for use outside the system?

Take for example during the Endsars protests when donations were in cryptocurrency, without a fiat currency (NGN) there would've been no way for the handlers to access the much needed cash. With the CBN regulation ....many traders and prospective ones were stranded save for the P2P mode of exchange which many prospects are still weary of using. No matter what ...you need FIAT Currency backing for Cryptocurrency to make an impact.

12inchess:

You don't need Fiat currency to back up any means of exchange. What you need is demand. There was a time when cowries was used as a means of exchange. What Fiat currency was backing that? As long as the means of exchange has value to majority of people, then it's viable.

1 Like

Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Nobody: 1:53pm On Feb 25, 2021
TheRareGem1:

Nigerians.
The US did not ban it. Even Naira is used for illicit purposes
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Mrpojj(m): 1:54pm On Feb 25, 2021
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 1:55pm On Feb 25, 2021
TheRareGem1:

Nigerians.
Notice how they never criticize the CBN governor, but during Sanusi they criticized him daily. But if you are Igbo you are immune from criticism.
Re: Bitcoin Can Be Used For 'Illegal' Purposes - US Regulators by Rubbiish(m): 1:57pm On Feb 25, 2021
bigtt76:
No lies in this and we all saw how its use fueled the endsars protest ...that was when I knew the CBN would definitely clamp down on it especially with 2023 elections around the corner. All those saying governments can shutdown cryptocurrencies now see clearly that without FIAT currency backing up cryptocurrencies, its as good as 'useless' in everyday use, but hey what do we know #WeMove!

You are very wrong!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Aliko Dangote's Nephew, Kally, Graduates From UK University / Nigerian Cooking Gas Business Unveiled / CBN Resumes Dollar Sales To BDCs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.