Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:12 AM

Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery (29322 Views)

FG Vows To Clampdown On Traders Inflating Commodity Prices / Forex Crisis: FG Plans Clampdown On Binance, other Crypto Firms - Premium Times / Lagos Taskforce Clampdown On Street Traders At Ikorodu Garage - Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by ijustdey: 9:25pm On Feb 05
The Nigerian government has said it will clamp down on loan apps involved in illegal debt recovery and exploitation of consumers.

The crackdown comes amidst an upsurge in violations of the Interagency Joint Task Force’s Limited Interim Regulatory/Registration Framework and Guidelines for Digital Lending 2022.

While some digital money lenders (DMLs) have offered financial access to many individuals, the industry’s dark side looms large, with some loan sharks employing unethical and illegal tactics to collect debts. These illegal debt recoveries include forgery, impersonations, and privacy breaches, which are causing fear and distress among borrowers.

Still, many Nigerians turn to loan apps to meet financial needs as inflation bites harder, with the rates reaching a staggering 28.92% in December 2023 from 28.20 percent in November, according to the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS).

The current inflation surge is significantly impacting Nigerians’ ability to maintain their standard of living, leading to difficult adjustments like reduced spending and potentially increasing the risk of loan defaults.

FCCPC’s boss, Adamu Abdullahi, noted in a statement on Monday that the commission understands the increased demand for loans during this period, leading to a higher risk of default due to large numbers and typical cash flow challenges.

“However, the solution cannot be to violate law or utilise unethical recovery methods,” Abdullahi said .He said that the commission is “intensifying enforcement efforts and adopting a zero-tolerance stance towards any exploitation of consumers or abusive conduct, whether in balance calculations, loan default enforcement, or recovery processes.”

Abdullahi added that, in the coming days, the commission will be engaging approved loan apps to a stricter compliance framework, including any additional requirements where applicable and possible mechanisms for otherwise blacklisted apps.

“The Commission will welcome demonstrated and timely compliance by all legitimate operators in order to promote and enhance fairness to consumers and fairness among competitors,” he said.

“With respect to operators that do not possess the Commission’s approval, the scrutiny process will include law enforcement action against such, in addition to regulatory prohibition and consequences.”

https://guardian.ng/news/nigeria-to-clampdown-on-loan-apps-for-illegal-debt-recovery/

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by tubolancer(m): 9:37pm On Feb 05
Nigerians are dying, the loan apps are fleecing the people with reckless abandonment, no hope in sight, and many will die as debtors unless there is intervention. The street is not smiling, the elders are right after all.

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by Kurugu92(m): 9:55pm On Feb 05
It's time they stop this loan app,you give me 17000 and you expect me to pay 24000 in less than a month

114 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by correctyourself(m): 10:04pm On Feb 05
Kurugu92:
It's time they stop this loan app,you give me 17000 and you expect me to pay 24000 in less than a month

Infact they would ask you to pay back in 7days, if you manage to pay and decide not to take again, they would send their agents to start calling/sending you messages encouraging you to take loan.

These people does not mean well for nigerians.

For example: If you tell them that you don't have money to pay on the due day (7day) they would ask you to borrow from another loan app to pay them.

201 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by VeryWickedMan: 10:06pm On Feb 05
Good.
Sokoloan are now sending birds to my window to observe me & sing my name.

213 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by Melagros(m): 10:07pm On Feb 05
COMRADES, fg should clamp on them seriously

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by LegallyBlunt: 10:07pm On Feb 05

Fix ailing sectors in the country and watch how these loan apps die a natural death. They know how desperate Nigerians are, especially with the high cost of food and other essentials. In fact, loan apps and sharks are key features if a failed state. Ask around!

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by obicoolnino: 10:07pm On Feb 05
A
Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by Curious345: 10:07pm On Feb 05
Loan apps are saving lives . Please,allow them be

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by chybuzky(m): 10:08pm On Feb 05
Dis country hard self, even me I dey owe loan like dis

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by Dennisochampa: 10:08pm On Feb 05
Better.
. Because their recovery methods is nothing to write home about...
Because of 5k....u fit see small pikin wen just finish secondary school dey abuse person wen reach to born am.....

This is a welcome development

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by NaijaGoBetter2: 10:08pm On Feb 05
Because of these stupid people they sacked one of my guy from where him de hustle that time, meanwhile he was not the one that borrowed the money self na one Ogbanje girl use her phone without informing my guy.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by englishmart(m): 10:09pm On Feb 05
There is nothing fair about fair money. 50% interest rates.

63 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by Skillsnigeria: 10:09pm On Feb 05
Okay
Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by ILoveNG: 10:09pm On Feb 05
Why do people donate to orphanages in the name of helping the less privileged when there are people in need living next door?

Why turn to these apps when you can reach out to friends and neighbours who are better off?

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by Ancecoker(m): 10:09pm On Feb 05
grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by lonelydora: 10:09pm On Feb 05
Allow them recover their money in whatever way they deem fit

Why would anyone borrow money he/she cannot pay? Nigerians are very dishonest people. They borrow with the mind of not paying back.

38 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by ibechris(m): 10:10pm On Feb 05
Kurugu92:

And u agree to pay.

Bros wait oh, out of desperation u accepted it. Man, u are at fault.

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by Adakintroy: 10:10pm On Feb 05
Gamblers app.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by NICOGRAVITY: 10:11pm On Feb 05
One debtor to app loan is smiling.
See your life.

You must pay ooo

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by DorianD(m): 10:12pm On Feb 05
Been hearing this since 1969.A working Govt won't seek media attention b4 acting

25 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by stankezzy: 10:12pm On Feb 05
Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by Nahunger(m): 10:13pm On Feb 05
grin

One of the goats call me today 😀

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by Marvieduke(f): 10:14pm On Feb 05
Naija people wan crumble loan apps with borrow and don't pay back....

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by Parydelegate: 10:15pm On Feb 05
Na today....another story grin
Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by Emeskhalifa(m): 10:15pm On Feb 05
Government of we will, we shall

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by Jamiubond009(m): 10:16pm On Feb 05
Sweet news for chronic defaulters grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by Jamiubond009(m): 10:16pm On Feb 05
shocked
Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by EmmyMaestro(m): 10:19pm On Feb 05
Maybe the government is also owing loan apps that's why they want to take them out

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery by Zanzibar1: 10:21pm On Feb 05
Ttt

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

CBN Suspends New Cashless Policy / Jim Ovia Earns N1.52 Billion As Top Bank Chiefs Earn N2.3bn In Interim Dividend / Transfers From GTB Savings Account To Other Banks Is Now Enabled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.