Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,250 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" (37884 Views)

Nigeria To Clampdown On Loan Apps For Illegal Debt Recovery / FG Moves To Digitise FX Transactions To Punish Naira Speculators / Risevest’s CEO, Eke Urum, Found Guilty Of Sexual Impropriety And Abuse Of Power (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Islie: 9:28pm On Aug 17, 2021
A federal high court in Abuja has granted the request of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to freeze accounts of fintech companies for 180 days.

The accounts include that Rise Vest Technologies Limited, Bamboo Systems Technology Limited, Bamboo Systems Technology Limited OPNS, Chaka Technologies Limited, CTL/Business Expenses, and Trove Technologies Limited.

In a court paper seen by TheCable on Tuesday, the apex bank said it is investigating ‘illegal foreign exchange transactions’ by the fintech companies.

It also sought the court injunction to freeze their bank accounts for 180 days pending the completion of investigations.

In the motion ex parte marked FCH/ABJ/CS/822/2021 and filed on August 4, CBN through its counsel Michael Kaase Aondoakaa, submitted that “the investigation being carried out concerns what has been discovered to be serious infractions by the defendants/respondents in connection with some foreign exchange transactions, and non-documentation by the defendants/respondents in violation of the extant laws and regulations, particularly the Foreign Exchange (Monitoring and Miscellaneous Provisions) Act and the Central Bank of Nigeria foreign exchange manual.”

“That more specifically, there is a grave allegation that the defendants/respondents are engaged in illegal foreign exchange transactions, accessing/procuring of foreign exchange via their banks from the Nigerian foreign exchange market via several bureaux de change, international money transfer operators and have transferred cash deposit of more than S10,000.00 (Ten thousand dollars) to various accounts overseas contrary to provisions of extant laws and regulations and also traded in foreign securities and cryptocurrencies in contravention to CBN Circular referenced TED/FEM/FPC/GEN/01/012 and BSD/DIR/PUB/LAB/014/001 dated February 5, 2021, and July 01, 2015.

“It is evident that Rise Vest Technologies Limited, Bamboo Systems Technology Limited, Chaka Technologies Limited and Trove Technologies Limited are complicit in operating without license as asset management companies and utilising FX sourced from the Nigerian FX market for purchasing foreign bonds/shares in contravention of CBN’s directive.”

In his ruling, Ahmed Mohammed said: “having listened to senior counsel to the applicant, on the motion ex parte filed in August, it is granted as prayed.”

He added that any person who feels aggrieved about the freezing order is entitled to approach the court within the period to seek redress.

He then adjourned the matter to February 20, 2022, for hearing.

In April, the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) warned the investing public on the proliferation of unregistered online investment and trading platforms, facilitating access to trading in securities listed in foreign markets.

The regulator had advised capital market operators who work in concert with the referenced online platforms to desist.

https://www.thecable.ng/breaking-cbn-secures-order-freezing-risevest-bamboo-accounts-for-180-days

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by KC031: 9:45pm On Aug 17, 2021
Nawa ooo... living and staying legit in this country as a young guy is really challenging.

227 Likes 18 Shares

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by fnep2smooth(m): 9:48pm On Aug 17, 2021
Why targeting startup...

88 Likes 6 Shares

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by slawormiir: 9:52pm On Aug 17, 2021
Damnnn niggar
Isoright

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Ejlove4u(m): 9:52pm On Aug 17, 2021
at this point, I don't know what to say.

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by INTEGRITYA1(m): 9:52pm On Aug 17, 2021
Let the investigations continue.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by peacettw: 9:52pm On Aug 17, 2021
Seems my question is causing a problem.. I just hope the likes of piggyvest and Kuda are safe. Hmmm

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by weblord1900: 9:53pm On Aug 17, 2021
Thank you binance and trustwallet.. God bless you CZ

Prepare to be unbanked.

The future is here whether FG likes it or not.

128 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Mpawonn: 9:53pm On Aug 17, 2021
Welcome development

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by olu122: 9:53pm On Aug 17, 2021
grin No hiding place
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by InaNla(f): 9:53pm On Aug 17, 2021
Useless gonment of fraud.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by saasala(m): 9:54pm On Aug 17, 2021
Everyone is just doing Yahoo Yahoo in this country

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by lexy2014: 9:54pm On Aug 17, 2021
Islie:

https://www.thecable.ng/breaking-cbn-secures-order-freezing-risevest-bamboo-accounts-for-180-days

but am yet to hear CBN freeze d accounts of d faceless bokoharam sponsors who are obviously known to d govt

94 Likes 5 Shares

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by shadeyinka2: 9:54pm On Aug 17, 2021
Why?
They are startup companies and not BANKS!
Investigation can be done without freezing their account.

If you check carefully, all the hullaballoos is simply because the young guys refuse to service them at CBN!

103 Likes 4 Shares

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Ok12345(f): 9:54pm On Aug 17, 2021
Why are they frustrating the youth?

We are trying to beat against inflation by investing in dollars

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by RiceBADA9: 9:55pm On Aug 17, 2021
Like I care
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by InaNla(f): 9:55pm On Aug 17, 2021
Mpawonn:
Welcome development

See this one ?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by szczescie(m): 9:56pm On Aug 17, 2021
Choi I talk am oh

Nigeria hates young things, little things, start ups

Nigeria only wants you when you are already fully made

Nigeria doesn't want to grow you or grow with you

Nigeria doesn't water the shoots of young budding plants instead Nigeria waters the roots of dried up dead old trees

It's a parable, nigeria will rather pretend to celebrate fela than put policies or studios in place to train the next fela

Nigeria wants twitter to come open office in Nigeria but Nigeria kills ALL Nigerian start ups that can grow to even rival twitter

93 Likes 10 Shares

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by DeLaRue: 9:56pm On Aug 17, 2021
fnep2smooth:
Why targeting startup...

Being a start up doesn't entitle you to break the law.

A start up that engages in unlawful activities will end up.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by elotajohn1(m): 9:56pm On Aug 17, 2021
One day we will wake up and discover that we have to pay to breathe in Nigeria under this APC

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by InaNla(f): 9:56pm On Aug 17, 2021
lexy2014:

but am yet to hear CBN freeze d accounts of d faceless bokoharam sponsors who are obviously known to d govt

The terrorist regime led by buari will not do that.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Cyberblue(m): 9:57pm On Aug 17, 2021
Now I think we are finished in this country. I guess it’s high time I give up on life. This country as killed me already. I give up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Nobody: 9:57pm On Aug 17, 2021
Hahahahahahaha, ponzi schemes
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by Dialpad: 9:58pm On Aug 17, 2021
Just like that ?
Re: CBN To Freeze Risevest, Bamboo Accounts for "Illegal FX Transactions" by posty56: 9:58pm On Aug 17, 2021
this government wan frustrate person apps wwey we dey use earn legit money chei GOD!!

10 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Do I Improve Profits In My Beauty Salon? / I Have A Million Naira, What Profitable Business Can I Do / New Naira: Confusion Deepens As CBN Deadline Ends Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.