Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,987 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:24 PM

Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? (42744 Views)

Man Unable To Marry His Benue Girlfriend With ₦600,000 As Her Family Wants ₦1.2M / My Husband Wants To Marry His Side Chic After I Reported Her To Her Husband / 7 Virgins: Man Who Married His Sister In Anambra Undergoing Spiritual Cleansing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by Chris525: 10:42pm On Feb 24, 2021
An interest as this doesn’t just come out of the blues. If the lady in questions has been living with him and taking care of the baby his late wife left behind there may be good cause.

Else, everyone is gonna look at it funny & talk about it behind his back but the family would gladly agree. Especially as the lady in question is as you said, aging.

But we all know there’s something going on already.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by pozehnani(f): 10:43pm On Feb 24, 2021
mariahAngel:

Not necessarily true.
The thing is, most of you assume that the sister-in-law had been living with them while her sister was alive.

There's one that I know of, a lady, her sister died, and so after much persuasion from her parents, she agreed to go take care of her late sister's children, before you know it, she became attached to the children, and then their father...

Now, they're married.

Really... I still don't think it's right.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by Lovelyperson(m): 10:51pm On Feb 24, 2021
Cuttycool:
It is totally wrong for him to marry his wifes sister, it is an abomination. The man deserves a sound slapp to bring him back to reality. He is wicked and has betrayed his wife.

Calm down and slowly read the full post before you comment

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by pek(m): 10:56pm On Feb 24, 2021
Cuttycool:
It is totally wrong for him to marry his wifes sister, it is an abomination. The man deserves a sound slapp to bring him back to reality. He is wicked and has betrayed his wife.
Tell me that this a joke.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by pek(m): 11:00pm On Feb 24, 2021
kellytuns:
igbo culture and the Catholic church doesn't permit that.
Say what you know and not what you think.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by Analysiscorner: 11:03pm On Feb 24, 2021
That she is one with your children won't make her take good care of them. It depends on individual differences in character.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by pek(m): 11:05pm On Feb 24, 2021
Cuttycool:
Incest is a sin in almost all cultures and religions. I am not sure the courts supports incestous marriages. As for all the men quoting me, how would you you happy if after your demise, your wife gets entangled with your brother?
Now I know your problem. You don't know the meaning of the word incest.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by meetcharles: 11:24pm On Feb 24, 2021
Cuttycool:
Nonsense.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by shegsrules(m): 11:24pm On Feb 24, 2021
LMS1:
Op It Depends On Your Tradition, Some May See It As A Taboo While Others May Not.
But Technically It Is Not Wrong To Marry Her Sister Since They Both Are Diffrent Body Entirely Except For The Fact That They Share Same DNA.
Tho Bear In Mind That If The First Died Due To Difference In Blood Group[b][/b] With The Man Then The Second Also Has A High Chance Of Following Same Path.
Gudluck And Happy Incest To Him. grin

Please expantiate more about this "
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by SirBunky85(m): 11:40pm On Feb 24, 2021
nnewa:
Hello NLanders, please help advise me on how to counsel this brother of mine who lost his wife about 2 years ago during child birth.

Now the man wants to re marry and is considering his late wife's sister. (Whether out of true desire, wish that the sister can take better care of her late sisters baby or another reason) it's worthy to note also that the lady in question is also advancing in age and likely to settle with any available man.

Please is it morally, culturally or religiously permitted to do so, he has been asking me
I can't try such but, some traditions permit it.In Abia state, there's a village called ABAM in arochukwu LGA where a man can marry his brothers wife once he dies.the last born can even marry the wife of the eldest brother. though, some enlightened ones have stopped it while most illiterate men still indulge in such shit.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by luminouz(m): 11:48pm On Feb 24, 2021
pozehnani:

There's nothing funny there. It's the truth.

Twin sisters' who marry one man both agree to it even though it's not so good. In this case, the dead woman may not agree to such. It's obvious he's had his eyes on her since.

Your last sentence is debatable.

Who is better suited to take care of the dead woman's kids than her own sister? That is what I call continuity. If twin sisters and cousins could marry even in Nigeria, this scenario ain't so bad. Hell,in some tribes, the woman even marries the dead man's younger brother. A new king also inherits the old king's wives and concubines. So go figure

In your penultimate sentence, the woman is dead already and the man never married her sister while alive, so that point is also out.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by Ogechux(m): 11:59pm On Feb 24, 2021
Truth remains that whatever steps he takes, people would still talk, better he chooses to be happy. If he has discussed with his sister inlaw and they have both sought the consent of the family; he is very free to marry her. Death has put an end to his marriage to her sister and as such no qualms.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by majorbravo: 12:56am On Feb 25, 2021
LMS1:
Op It Depends On Your Tradition, Some May See It As A Taboo While Others May Not.
But Technically It Is Not Wrong To Marry Her Sister Since They Both Are Diffrent Body Entirely Except For The Fact That They Share Same DNA.
Tho Bear In Mind That If The First Died Due To Difference In Blood Group With The Man Then The Second Also Has A High Chance Of Following Same Path.
Gudluck And Happy Incest To Him. grin
Please can you throw more light on the bolded? What has Blood Group differences gotta do with death?
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by calcal: 1:01am On Feb 25, 2021
It is a common practice in Puerto Rico. nothing wrong!
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by Awesome01(m): 1:49am On Feb 25, 2021
Cuttycool:
How many of you men quoting me, would be happy if your younger brother should date/marry your wife in the event where you died? How many of you would be happy? Its betrayal, its an incestous relationship and wrong.

Some cultures allow an interested younger brother inherit the wife of the deceased.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by Awesome01(m): 1:53am On Feb 25, 2021
And for all those women shouting betrayal, it is wrong, bla, bla, bla... Who would you prefer to take care of your child or children, in the event that you died? Your sister or one total stranger. Choose wisely
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by ddeola: 2:03am On Feb 25, 2021
Marriage na till death do them part so he is free to marry anybody. If the wife already have kids for the man maybe the sister will treat her sister's children as her own. African culture believes that and it's also in the Bible. The Saducees even attempted to try Jesus with a similar story
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by imagrg(m): 2:39am On Feb 25, 2021
No qualms, man! Carry on!
But I believe before now the man had been perusing her periphery. My thoughts though.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by Nobody: 2:53am On Feb 25, 2021
nnewa:
Hello NLanders, please help advise me on how to counsel this brother of mine who lost his wife about 2 years ago during child birth.

Now the man wants to re marry and is considering his late wife's sister. (Whether out of true desire, wish that the sister can take better care of her late sisters baby or another reason) it's worthy to note also that the lady in question is also advancing in age and likely to settle with any available man.

Please is it morally, culturally or religiously permitted to do so, he has been asking me
Scripturally when any one in marital union dies the marriage has ended from God's standpoint. lets look at Bible Book of Romans Chapter 7 vss 2-3' 2 For instance, a married woman* is bound by law to her husband while he is alive; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband, 3 So, then, while her husband is living, she would be called an adulteress if she became another man’s. But if her husband dies, she is free from his law, so that she is not an adulteress if she becomes another man’s.
Also in First Corinthians 7 verse 39 states '39 A wife is bound as long as her husband is alive. But if her husband should fall asleep in death, she is free to be married to whomever she wants, only in the Lord. [ Same applies to a Man whose wife has died, only in the faith applies marrying from same Christian fold or association that shares same article of faith, One baptism, One lord]

Also looking at sexual crimes stated by God in the bible book of Leviticus 18:18 “‘You must not take a woman in addition to her sister as a rival wife and have sexual relations with her while her sister is alive.
Where it looks unnatural because people may construe that he killed the wife to marry her sister, it is important that he respects the sensibility of his community and others.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by ThatFairGuy: 3:15am On Feb 25, 2021
It's morally, culturally and religiously right being the fact that the first sister is dead.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by Obason22(m): 3:24am On Feb 25, 2021
It depends on d man to say, traditionally it have no effect cos my sister died thru child birth and today d same man have taken the last one standing to continue thier life.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by frozen70(f): 4:48am On Feb 25, 2021
nnewa:

He is hundred percent free to marry her

Infact, its the best so far they find love in themselves
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by flourishing247: 6:11am On Feb 25, 2021
Cuttycool:

No it is not an abomination especially in igbo culture. It is a matter of choice and it has to be agreed on by the two families.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by bisi16(m): 6:36am On Feb 25, 2021
nnewa:

That’s the best woman for him to marry.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by haslaw(m): 7:06am On Feb 25, 2021
Cuttycool:

Violence is not the answer.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by ojonugwap(m): 7:06am On Feb 25, 2021
[quote author=Cuttycool post=99385805]It is totally wrong for him to marry his wifes sister, it is an abomination. The man deserves a sound slapp to bring him back to reality. He is wicked and has betrayed his wife.[/quo

Where are you from
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by haslaw(m): 7:09am On Feb 25, 2021
pozehnani:
It's not right because he'll give people the impression that they've been dating even when the wife was still alive. some may even think she killed her sister.

Can't your brother get another woman outside the wifes'family? And the lady, can't can't she look elsewhere for a husband?. I wonder how comfortable she'll feel sleeping with a man that has slept with her sister. Some people mumu Sha.

I am of the opinion that they should do whatever pleases them and not worry so much about what people will think.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by Tospecial(m): 7:14am On Feb 25, 2021
Are you still sleeping?
When you wake up let me know.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by okeyfrank: 7:39am On Feb 25, 2021
it's okay to do so.
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by Teleprompter(f): 7:48am On Feb 25, 2021
If the courtship with the wife was short, he may marry this sister.

Some things sound wrong on paper or even right but in reality, they are the opposite.

The sister may be a good lady with the same upbringing and mind set of her late did, they may look alike physically and have similar tastes. She may get along well with her late sister's husband. The family may also prefer the man that they already know.

It seems awkward but it might work perfectly fine and she would love her late sisters child as her own and her sister's stuff would be available to her which is much better than a pretentious new wife coming to inherit her sisters "blender" and "steam iron" ( just kidding )
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by Xkale1234(m): 7:54am On Feb 25, 2021
He should go ahead with it nothing wrong for him to marry his sister in law... That is the right decision
Re: Is It Right For A Man To Marry His Sister In Law? by PrettyOmanyo(f): 8:23am On Feb 25, 2021
[quote author=nnewa post=99377721]Hello NLanders, please help advise me on how to counsel this brother of mine who lost his wife about 2 years ago during child birth.

Please is it morally, culturally or religiously permitted to do so, he has been asking me[/quote
Culture differs Some places do it.BUT in Kogi Igala Pples don't do it in my culture it's very bad and nobdy Eva thinks of it.Its an Abomination.A man can't even open his mouth to Say it..Their gods no d take last and they know d tradition.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

I've Been Combing My Conscience,was I Wrong? I Need Someone To Help Analyse This / Man Dumps Wife, Marries Policewoman Who Assisted Him In Lagos / Why you Shouldn't Leave Your Parents House When You're Not Capable

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.