Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,263 members, 7,818,891 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes (43009 Views)

Tinubu Govt Plans Earn-as-you-work Pay Policy For Workers / FG To Electrify 5m Homes, Create 250,000 Jobs With Renewable Energy / FG To Electrify 5m Homes In Rural Communities With N2.3 Trillion. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by naijadrivablog: 9:26pm On Feb 26, 2021
Simplyleo:
So what's the power output of a unit of the solar panel?

A solar panel just convert the solar energy, you need other associated accessories which might even be more expensive.

Besides, solar panels that can comfortably power an average home with 2 AC, Fridge, and few low power consuming equipment can't be less than 500k.

Yes, I said it.

You be BMC but this your post make sense.

When MTN brought their own solar thingy, I laughed because I am in the system and I know that that MTN solar box and panel can't power much.

Kuku buy your own inverter and have rest of mind. Any solar setup of that N144k will be less than 2kva capacity.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by plaindealer: 9:29pm On Feb 26, 2021
Tareq1105:

There are many of them.

Yes, there are, just don't k ow if they are assembling panels and accessories or they are actually making all the component's from scratch.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by Cutehector(m): 9:31pm On Feb 26, 2021
The aba made one or china ..
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by plaindealer: 9:32pm On Feb 26, 2021
naijadrivablog:

You be BMC but this your post make sense.

When MTN brought their own solar thingy, I laughed because I am in the system and I know that that MTN solar box and panel can't power much.

Kuku buy your own inverter and have rest of mind. Any solar setup of that N144k will be less than 2kva capacity.

I'm almost 100% sure that's not what they are selling, this is a subsidized cost from full price, it's a government program for a reason.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by goldmatrix(m): 9:36pm On Feb 26, 2021
All their plans is to electrify their village country homes, farms, chalets and their local roads then they will make it looks like a national program. Stupid. Even if they hand it over to international company to do it they will tell him to start from Katsina state, then move to Kebbi and end with Borno... Then the short sighted VP will carry one single panel to Ondo or ogun state just for solidarity..
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by wirinet(m): 9:38pm On Feb 26, 2021
gaddafe:

But have you used it before? Do you know that, that panel has an expiry date usually 2-5 years depending on the type of panel you bought. Now this is apart from battery replacement and others. By the time you calculate what you have spent for two or three years and compare it with when you use fuel generator, the difference will be clear
False. Original solar panels has an optimal service life of 25 years ( depending on how it is installed). The weakest link of solar installation is the battery. Trojan Deep cycle lead acid batteries can last up to 10 years if not cycled beyond 50% regularly, but it can cost up to N250,000 each for 200ah. Good Indian batteries can cost between N150,000 to N180,000. While chinko batteries is about N120,000. Chino batteries would last an average of 6 month to 18 months depending on cycling percentage.
US inverters like Xantrex can cost up to N500,000 for pure sine wave inverters but they can last up to 10 years without problem. Chinco inverters can catch fire if you overload it.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by Poloyanabo2(m): 9:39pm On Feb 26, 2021
Officialgarri:
I still don't know why Africa is still getting deceived that Solar is the way for for Electricity just because we have abundance of sunlight.

Any deep thinker and non conformist will realize that it's all a scam

Solar should be the most expensive source of electricity
You deserve a beer from me, solar energy is not feasible, it's not durable.
Nuclear energy,
Gas turbines,
Hydo-electric are the way to go,
They are the most reliable and efficient ways to generate energy.

All these people talking about solar energy have not thought about night time and sun-less days,
Is there any battery that can power up a community during such times?
IS the battery durable and cheap to procure?

Solar energy is for backup plan, it's not feasible as a primary source of energy.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by plaindealer: 9:43pm On Feb 26, 2021
KaluwisxPRO:
For us to know the Efficiency of the program, Government buildings and parastatals should be taken off the National grid to test the efficiency of their solar program, after all they are trying to convince an average Nigerian that solar is better, they should do so by examples.

Our street lights need to be taken off Diesel engines as well as the National grid, when the general population see how efficient solar systems are, they will embrace the program.

They are already getting FG buildings and parastatals off the grid with Tesla units.

Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by psucc(m): 9:44pm On Feb 26, 2021
wirinet:

Are you talking about subsidy? Because the cost of single items like battery and even inverter (pure sine wave inverter) can be more that N144 000. Except you don't intend to run inductive loads like compressors and ac fans.
You are just arguing blindly.

The 'solar unit' has not been expounded. Do you know the capacity of the unit?

Do you know the quality (trust Nigerian project execution with quality)?

Wait until you see the manure that will be supplied.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by criuze(m): 9:45pm On Feb 26, 2021
very good but they won't stop biafra
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by erico2k2(m): 9:46pm On Feb 26, 2021
Simplyleo:

A solar panel just convert the solar energy, you need other associated accessories which might even be more expensive.

Besides, solar panels that can comfortably power an average home with 2 AC, Fridge, and few low power consuming equipment can't be less than 500k.

Yes, I said it.
even n500K is a child play that won't be enough, those original 200 batteries cost up to 300k and one might need 10 so you are looking at N2m on average for the goods you listed there
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by erico2k2(m): 9:47pm On Feb 26, 2021
psucc:

we have seen the Nigerian govt supply Solar units b4 and they pack up within 6 months typical examples are water projects and street lights
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by CalmElder(m): 9:50pm On Feb 26, 2021
Why can't they hands off electrical power like they did for telecommunications?
Involving several power companies will provide jobs, encourage competition, enhance efficiency and benefit the economy, especially if local companies are granted licences.
Selling PHCN will create a positive impact on the economy in several ways.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by blueAgent(m): 9:50pm On Feb 26, 2021
CoolAmbience:

People still do not appreciate that, despite the setbacks of insecurity, this remains one of Nigeria's best administrations.

There are local solar panel manufacturers in Nigeria.

Perhaps a few of them.

God punish

Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by plaindealer: 9:50pm On Feb 26, 2021
5th University off the grid.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by erico2k2(m): 9:51pm On Feb 26, 2021
wirinet:

False. Original solar panels has an optimal service life of 25 years ( depending on how it is installed). The weakest link of solar installation is the battery. Trojan Deep cycle lead acid batteries can last up to 10 years if not cycled beyond 50% regularly, but it can cost up to N250,000 each for 200ah. Good Indian batteries can cost between N150,000 to N180,000. While chinko batteries is about N120,000. Chino batteries would last an average of 6 month to 18 months depending on cycling percentage.
US inverters like Xantrex can cost up to N500,000 for pure sine wave inverters but they can last up to 10 years without problem. C[b]hinco inverters can catch fire if you overload i[/b]t.
The Bolded Weak me

Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by Nobody: 9:51pm On Feb 26, 2021
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by Mozegee: 9:52pm On Feb 26, 2021
Do you have any one who is good in installing it.please private chat me
Simplyleo:

Yes, I said it.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by erico2k2(m): 9:53pm On Feb 26, 2021
plaindealer:
5th University off the grid.
You guys need to learn B4 yah post, what do you understand by the simple word HYBRID?
If the grammar is too big 4 you think of Hybrid cars? do they use Petrol/Diesel or not even though they use electricity?
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by erico2k2(m): 9:55pm On Feb 26, 2021
CalmElder:
Why can't they hands off electrical power like they did for telecommunications?
Involving several power companies will provide jobs, encourage competition, enhance efficiency and benefit the economy, especially if local companies are granted licences.
Selling PHCN will create a positive impact on the economy in several ways.
The major players will lose money, but we will get there soon, At my house, we get electricity every day now since we got Prepaid metre cos once our transformer blew up we ignored them for a month
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by wirinet(m): 9:56pm On Feb 26, 2021
psucc:

You are highly ignorant of the subject matter and you are just talking just for the sake of supporting government.

I have installed complete solar systems and any one who has even a minute knowledge of solar system knows a N144,000 system cannot supply more than a 1kwh on a good sunny day, that's assuming you use a modified sine wave inverter and a cheap 100ah battery. This type of inverter would burn your freezer compressor and ac fans in 6 months.

A government that is serious about promoting solar energy would REMOVE DUTY AND TARIFFS on solar products and discourage the importation of substandard Chinese products, as they are a waste of money.

This sounds like an avenue to make money at the expense of energy starving Nigerians.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by INCREDIBLE007(m): 9:57pm On Feb 26, 2021
with just 113k or 115k
you could get Your power problems fixed
pay on delivery
check my signature
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by AfroBeatDiary: 10:00pm On Feb 26, 2021
wirinet:

144,000 per unit ke? Ordinary a good 200ah deep cycle cost more than N144,000, before we even start talking about the inverters, charge controller, solar panels and accessories, and then cost of installation

Maybe the solar set up is just for charging phone and running a few lights.

You'll see what they will bring at that amount.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by plaindealer: 10:01pm On Feb 26, 2021
erico2k2:

You guys need to learn B4 yah post, what do you understand by the simple word HYBRID?
If the grammar is too big 4 you think of Hybrid cars? do they use Petrol/Diesel or not even though they use electricity?

You mean solar is not involved or it can not go off grid because it's labeled hybrid even though you saw solar panels and batteries in the pictures?

One thing I hate about NL is ignorant and unintelligent people quoting me with their ignorant nonsense.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by wirinet(m): 10:01pm On Feb 26, 2021
Simplyleo:

Yes, I said it.

500k ke? Your battery alone would cost more than 500k. Even if the ACs are 1hp, 2 ACs would be about 1600 watts, add 150watts for frigde and we are talking about 1750 watts, and we have not even considered other loads, lights,TVs,etc. We should be looking at a load of 2500watts. And since we are talking about ACs and freezers, you will need a pure sine wave inverter. Now the minimum inverter you can use is 5kva inverter. A good 5 kva pure sinewave inverter can cost between 300,000 to 500,000k

Now your battery depends on your run time. For a run time of 6 hrs, you need nothing less than a 6000AH set up for 50% DOD. That's 30 200ah battery. At about N180,000 for a good 200ah battery, you can do the maths.
We have not even considered the number of solar panels that can charge 30 200ah batteries.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by CalmElder(m): 10:07pm On Feb 26, 2021
erico2k2:

The major players will lose money, but we will get there soon, At my house, we get electricity every day now since we got Prepaid metre cos once our transformer blew up we ignored them for a month

How will the major players lose money. What will be the cause?
I'm curious.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by erico2k2(m): 10:13pm On Feb 26, 2021
plaindealer:

You mean solar is not involved or it can not go off grid because it's labeled hybrid even though you saw solar panels and batteries in the pictures?

One thing I hate about NL is ignorant and unintelligent people quoting me with their ignorant nonsense.
Pls re-read what I wrote I used the word HYBRID.YOu are an extreme case of an Ignorant person and you still refuse to learn which even more worrisome.let me school you a bit a HYBRID system of anything means it has multiple sources of Energy derivatives.In this case this system charges itself By
1 Solar panel
2 national Grid
3 can be added Wind Energy.
if something charges itself with national Grid how do you term such as Off-grid or are you confused by this lame Englis Off-grid?

I even went further to use the Electric car and Hybrid car as a simple example where the electric car is plugged into Electricity to recharge whilst the Hybrid car can be plugged and uses fuel to drive and whilst driving charges itself that is why hybrid cars are not called Electric cars
Now after all these you still don't get it then Im done!
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by erico2k2(m): 10:17pm On Feb 26, 2021
CalmElder:

How will the major players lose money. What will be the cause?
I'm curious.
check those who gain with this epileptic power supply
let me tell you the losers already as things stand
people who cut your wire and charge you to re connect9Bribr)
People who read Meters and dash you xtimated bills
People who sell meters
Now if power is structured proper
Generator sellers will lose
Discos will lose cos they cannot now return power to Gencos as they do now
the sale of Inverters will vanish
Generator repairers will be jobless.
more petrol and diesel for us at the pump as no one without cars will ever know pump price
I can go on n on
Those idiots who own the Discos will lose cos their gain
will be real and little plus they will now be forced to invest in their own infrastructures
But I see us going that way, have you seen the new Prepaid meters which have no cards?
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by plaindealer: 10:19pm On Feb 26, 2021
erico2k2:

Pls re-read what I wrote I used the word HYBRID.YOu are an extreme case of an Ignorant person and you still refuse to learn which even more worrisome.let me school you a bit a HYBRID system of anything means it has multiple sources of Energy derivatives.In this case this system charges itself By
1 Solar panel
2 national Grid
3 can be added Wind Energy.
if something charges itself with national Grid how do you term such as Off-grid or are you confused by this lame Englis Off-grid?

I even went further to use the Electric car and Hybrid car as a simple example where the electric car is plugged into Electricity to recharge whilst the Hybrid car can be plugged and uses fuel to drive and whilst driving charges itself that is why hybrid cars are not called Electric cars
Now after all these you still don't get it then Im done!

What's your ignorant and irrelevant obsession with hybrid? Can this solar installation go off grid. Yes or No?

Most of the homes in Nigeria with solar installations are all hybrid homes because they can go off grid or stay on grid as needed so what's you silly and ignorant hybrid rubbish about? You just ran across the word hybrid?
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by pepericozi: 10:21pm On Feb 26, 2021
First, it was change. After that we have next level. It's now game changer.

We are in trouble.
Re: Nigerians To Pay N144,000 For Solar Panels Govt Plans For 5m Homes by erico2k2(m): 10:23pm On Feb 26, 2021
plaindealer:

Can this solar installation go off grid. Yes or No?
Oh my days you still asking this stupid question even though I took my time to explain what HYBRID means
Bross free me ur IQ is too low for persons like me to engage with, I pass whatever you believe this shyte is it is

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Throwback Pictures Of Governor Rotimi Amechi And Family / Throwback Photo Of Buhari Dancing With A Girl / What President Buhari Told 36 State Governors In Closed Door Meeting Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.