Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,416 members, 7,822,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? (4872 Views)

Have You Ever Felt Relieved After Ending A Friendship Or Relationship? / Love Is Ruining My Life Please I Need Advice / Help Help Facebook Is Ruining My Relationship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Welcum: 6:30pm On Mar 05, 2021
I read this article on a platform that combines dating with career connections. It's very revealing. Let me see what you guys think (mature people only):

As long as you are on Earth, there can hardly be anything else that would be more important to you than your romantic life and personal finances. Thus, this free platform exists to connect you qualitatively in these two key areas of your life all at once.

This is not just about romantic match-making, but we equally offer advice and fora to assist you in managing these highly important issues more efficiently and effectively. Hence we're here talking about how to manage money in your marriage or towards it - lest it becomes "the root of all evils" once again.

To start with, I'm almost sure that YOU know this: MONEY ISSUES ARE AMONG THE TOP ISSUES AFFECTING MARRIAGES AND OTHER FORMS OF ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIPS AROUND THE WORLD.

According to Forbes Personal Finances Contributor Jennifer Ryan Woods, " money issues are so troublesome that people who say they’re experiencing stress in their relationship cite finances as the number one reason — easily beating out the second place contender: annoying habits ".

What that means is that, if you ever hope to have healthy happy marriage or romantic relationship of any sort, you must learn the effective ways to handle the finance in your romance (especially your marriage).

In order to help with this, we have taken it upon ourselves to bring this to an open discussion table here. What we share here are largely from personal and professional experiences with real-life couples and experts in the areas concerned.

For us to come up with more profound solutions, we also expect couples out here to share their own thoughts, experiences, and solutions: how have money-related questions affected your relationships or the relationships of someone you know? And, how did you (or the person) handle them? You are also free to disagree with or augment our own points with superior logic (since no one knows it all):

SOURCE: https://workingandsingle.com/article/4_romance_finance_balance_how_do_you_manage_money_in_your_marriage_and_relationship

The points I share below...

5 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Anigreat: 6:33pm On Mar 05, 2021
shocked

Following
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Welcum: 6:33pm On Mar 05, 2021
1. Date Or Marry Someone In A Similar Career As You (May Not Be What You Think)

As Investopedia writer James McWhinny noted, "... financial problems are a leading cause of divorce. What you may not know is that the challenges can actually start even before you say 'I do' ".

For many people, their work is a distraction from their romantic life. But, if you want your work to be a source of bonding with your partner instead, date or marry someone in a similar career as yourself. As you share professional points of view in your living room, bedroom, and elsewhere, you are enhancing the agreement levels between you in a very profound way beyond what most people will ever understand.

This is why one of the wisest decisions you can ever take as a career single person is to join our free career/romantic connection platform here.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Welcum: 6:35pm On Mar 05, 2021
2. Be Financially Honest With Your Partner

Well, I hope no one is getting scared by this. I don't actually mean you have to disclose the passwords to your money accounts to one another. But, you will have more healthy relationships if you let your romantic partner know things like your financial levels and struggles from time to time. It helps with mutual understanding, plus your partner could be in the best position to offer you workable advice since they know you well. And they can even make surprising transfers to your bank when they know you really need it.

But when you are not financially honest, it breeds a lot of very damaging misunderstanding. For instance, some men would lie to their dates about being as rich as they aren't - in order to get them to say yes. But if those dates finally say yes and then begin to have higher financial expectations from those dishonest men than they are capable of, the same men complain about ladies being too money-conscious. So, if you want to prevent this in a committed relationship, you must be financially honest from the word go.
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Welcum: 6:43pm On Mar 05, 2021
3. Don't Get Into Debt To Fund Your Wedding

Some couples would spend far above their means on their wedding and it becomes a big problem later on. Legal records reveal that many divorces are traceable to the strain on relationships due to debt loads incurred by couples to fund their weddings. Jennifer Ryan Woods quotes the legal expert Ann-Margaret Carrozza as once saying that " of all the couples that I see, the number one mistake they make is spending too much on the wedding" .

Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by chiommy123(f): 6:50pm On Mar 05, 2021
I agree with you on being honest. I also think having a joint account may help if both are employed where you pay in every month.
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Welcum: 6:51pm On Mar 05, 2021
4. Discuss Money Often With Your Partner
You will become far better at romance if your bedroom talks are not only about the usual "I love you" kind. That's OK too. But, you can also plan money-making projects or make family budgets together even in between cuddling, handling, and kisses.

Many couples wrongly think that bringing money into bedroom talks would spoil the romantic moods. But it's not so. It rather enlivens your bedroom a lot. I urge you to try it and see. Just, let it be natural. I tell you, as Napoleon Hill mentioned on the 11th chapter of his classic Think And Grow Rich, there is hardly anything else that makes you more financially creative than your romantic emotions - if you harness them well.

Endnote: We will continue to add more to these points due to the high importance of the subject and the fact that we always need to learn more. Those are also the exact same reasons why YOU can consider sharing your thoughts and experiences as regards this topic. You never can tell how many relationships you'd be saving through such generous sharing.

Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Welcum: 7:03pm On Mar 05, 2021
chiommy123:
I agree with you on being honest. I also think having a joint account may help if both are employed where you pay in every month.
The joint account stuff is another thing. But my main issue here is numbers 1 and 3. What do you have to say on those 2?
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by dumahi(m): 7:30pm On Mar 05, 2021
As per number 1, I don't subscribe to people marrying mates from the same career. Is it only me?
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Mar 05, 2021
Marrying from the same career can be helpful
Like a doctor marrying a nurse
Or an actor marrying an actress
U can imagine a doctor marrying an actress..how would they be able to understand each other
For example if maybe the actress wants to flex all the money in the club her doctor husband would want to save some for the rainy there and this will lead to disagreement then quarrel
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Kiddogarcia(m): 7:40pm On Mar 05, 2021
I don't agree with number one, but being transparent with your earnings keeps you safe from troubles. Na we be your best plug for everything sexual enhancement
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by 10mobile: 7:40pm On Mar 05, 2021
Following...
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by BrandBrainBox: 7:48pm On Mar 05, 2021
Kiddogarcia:
I don't agree with number one, but being transparent with your earnings keeps you safe from troubles. Na we be your best plug for everything sexual enhancement

dumahi:
As per number 1, I don't subscribe to people marrying mates from the same career. Is it only me?

Why do you disagree with number 1?
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by BrandBrainBox: 7:59pm On Mar 05, 2021
chiommy123:

Joint account? Does it exist? Can you tell us more on this.
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by dumahi(m): 8:10pm On Mar 05, 2021
BrandBrainBox:

Variety is the spice of life.
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by BrandBrainBox: 8:36pm On Mar 05, 2021
dumahi:

Variety is the spice of life.
How about VARIETY alongside STABILITY? You saw the explanation that people of SIMILAR, not SAME career can use their careers to bond?
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by 10mobile: 8:48pm On Mar 05, 2021
chiommy123:
If you run a join account with your hubby, can you tell us more on some of your experiences?
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by chiommy123(f): 9:05pm On Mar 05, 2021
BrandBrainBox:

Joint account? Does it exist? Can you tell us more on this.
joint account exist and both of you signs anytime you want to withdaw not that you pay in all your salary for the month just a certain agreed percentage
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Mar 05, 2021
lefulefu:
U can imagine a doctor marrying an actress..how would they be able to understand each other
For example if maybe the actress wants to flex all the money in the club her doctor husband would want to save some for the rainy there and this will lead to disagreement then quarrel

Marrying someone from same profession majorly leads to premium legendary tears.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Mar 05, 2021
chiommy123:

100%

But,you both have to agree on an estimated value. So that when issues creep up,one doesn't regret investing more than the other.
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Mar 05, 2021
I like this thread.
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Kiddogarcia(m): 9:40pm On Mar 05, 2021
BrandBrainBox:

same careers most times takes the necessary vibe away, you don't get to learn from your spouse, there's no zeal in knowing what your partner does,a lot tho

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Telegram234(m): 10:35pm On Mar 05, 2021
Number 1 is bae.
Just imagine me and doing exactly remote job together.
We will do very well and romatically in the zaooza room cool

Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by cherylene129(f): 1:54am On Mar 06, 2021
Anigreat:
shocked

Following
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Nobody: 2:16am On Mar 06, 2021
It
StacyO:

it wont
someone in your carrier can understand you more unlike someone totally out of your career
Imagine a guy who is a doctor
Its not that he must totally go for a female doctor
he could marry a nurse or someone in the medical field
they would understand each other
check out most women who nag about their husband"s profession and blame their husband for not giving them attention
majority of such women are not in the same profession as the husband
look at bill clinton
Bill clinton is a lawyer by profession and hillary is also a lawyer by profession as well
they both met in law school and just look at them today
for obama and his wife i dont really know sha but i am very very sure that obama and his wife are in the same profession for them to understand each other that much
Most times when both partners dey the same career part e dey help
but again i am not saying if u meet a girl whose career is different from yours and she is a good girl then u should avoid her cos of career difference
what i am just saying is it wont make sense avoiding ladies or guys in your same career environment and running after other ppl from different career areas.
nop
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Yusufisraelj(m): 3:33am On Mar 06, 2021
lefulefu:

You have point right, but also consider this:

1. Financial literacy has nothing to do with profession but principally understanding demand, proficiency in any profession, competitive advantage and operating multiple streams of income.

For someone like me I can date any lady and will still bond proper, I doubt the possibility of dating a mechanical engineer like myself, not bkos I don't want to, I just appreciate things the way they are and seek to learn daily.

Wouldn't it be great to have an actress who tells you about film making and open your eyes to different cultures, way of life and help your traveling experience?

2. Success in marriage is hinged on the ability of the couple's to find reference and inspiration first from their faith then understanding and seeking the best interest, happiness, joy, care and love for each other, conflict resolution and how to handle colleagues and relatives.

Welcum:

The joint account stuff is another thing. But my main issue here is numbers 1 and 3. What do you have to say on those 2?

Number 1 is really not a sound consideration, my opinion though, bkos what works for one may not work for the other, I think it begs the adage "different strokes for different folks". For me am open minded, but marrying an engineer does not mean we would bond more or not, it's a matter of how we choose to relate with ourselves that will determine that bond not profession.

Profession helps especially when one is challenged on an issue, being a partner with that background assimilation is fast, insight and contributions are thorough and help might come quick.

Albert Einstein's wife played a major role in his 1905 relativity papers that made him famous, she help him understood certain things and aided his delivery in the academia, even though his senior, equally he was a very smart young man then.

Bill gate has a wife with different profession, that have helped him remain relevant even in today's world after his career in the technology sector.

So it's a case of what destiny holds and making the best out of it.

Aside that all other points a very valid for me.

Point 3 is very valid ooo, God knows I will never entertain debt for the sake of marriage, whatever the budgeted sum for marriage cannot cover outside the most critical to call it a legitimate union, should rest.

However for some it may be difficult but I will advice, spend within your means for God sake.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by chiommy123(f): 6:12am On Mar 06, 2021
StacyO:

100%

But,you both have to agree on an estimated value. So that when issues creep up,one doesn't regret investing more than the other.
I agree with you. I think the man should pay in a higher percentage if he earns much higher. I don't know why couples divorce so easily this days over little issues
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Mar 06, 2021
lefulefu:
Itit wont
someone in your carrier can understand you more unlike someone totally out of your career
Imagine a guy who is a doctor
Its not that he must totally go for a female doctor
he could marry a nurse or someone in the medical field
they would understand each other
check out most women who nag about their husband"s profession and blame their husband for not giving them attention
majority of such women are not in the same profession as the husband
look at bill clinton
Bill clinton is a lawyer by profession and hillary is also a lawyer by profession as well
they both met in law school and just look at them today
for obama and his wife i dont really know sha but i am very very sure that obama and his wife are in the same profession for them to understand each other that much
Most times when both partners dey the same career part e dey help
but again i am not saying if u meet a girl whose career is different from yours and she is a good girl then u should avoid her cos of career difference
what i am just saying is it wont make sense avoiding ladies or guys in your same career environment and running after other ppl from different career areas.
nop

I actually made that cause of the opinion that when it comes to marriage,marrying a nurse whereas you're a doctor might cause issues in your family.

I can only imagine a situation where the husband is called for duty and his wife as well has to resume work somewhere else.

Their children will most likely grow up without care from their parents and they might be left at the mercy of a house help.

You're right though.

I totally get your point.

I never really knew you could type long epistle ly diz grin
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Nobody: 12:53pm On Mar 06, 2021
Telegram234:
Number 1 is bae.
Just imagine me and doing exactly remote job together.
We will do very well and romatically in the zaooza room cool

You mean Yahoo work? tongue

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Iretii0511(m): 1:24pm On Mar 06, 2021
StacyO:

I disagree with this. Understanding one another is very important in a relationship. If we have similar career, you will understand my challenges. You will understand my struggles and even know how best to support me. See ehn, love is more than just a feeling, it’s an experience, if we struggle through a problem together and overcome it, we bond more. But if you don’t even understand my struggle in the first place, you may feel I’m trying to distance myself from you when in actual sense, I struggling to overcome some work related problem.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by Liposure: 1:40pm On Mar 06, 2021
No 3 is quite reasonable. Cut your coat according to your size. Its not by force you impress on your D day
Re: How Do I Stop Money Issues From Ruining My Marriage Or Relationship? by efficiencie(m): 1:49pm On Mar 06, 2021
Simple! Marry a true spouse and not a leech. Two, fuse your financial plans into one. Three trust and obey!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Lady Breaks Internet After Sharing Photos Of Her Deep Facial Dimple / Should We Leave Our Men If They Are Cheating? / My Girlfriend Says We Can't Kiss!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.