Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,152 members, 7,811,300 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:41 AM

Reno Omokri: I Don't Know If Polygamy Is A Sin - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Reno Omokri: I Don't Know If Polygamy Is A Sin (23036 Views)

Is It A Sin To Masturbate While Doing A Video Call With Your Spouse? / Reno Omokri: Bride Price Is Only Paid For Virgins, Scripturally / 'I Don't Help Single Mothers' - Reno Omokri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reno Omokri: I Don't Know If Polygamy Is A Sin by melvinonoja: 9:48am On Mar 10, 2021
butterfly777:
Some Christians may rush in and start bashing the man. But in my opinion, he has layed out the issue in a very rational way.

Anybody who has a contrary opinion should also express it rationally and with scriptural references, not with bashing or name calling.

God appreciates it when we reason together.
I love when mature mind talks. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Reno Omokri: I Don't Know If Polygamy Is A Sin by melvinonoja: 9:54am On Mar 10, 2021
LadySarah:
My take too.The bible only made monogamy compulsory for a Bishop.Are all men bishops?

I say to each his own.Just let your wife know you may be taking another in future.If comfortable then good.Don't spring surprises on her .

It is way better than the monogamy that a lot of men are deceiving themselves with.

marriage Certificate:monogamy
Penis: For community/polygamy

grin grin grin wink wink wink cool cool
Re: Reno Omokri: I Don't Know If Polygamy Is A Sin by edoairways: 11:44am On Mar 10, 2021
mrkings84:

Chelsea is doing great under new boss Thomas Tuchel....

Eh, eh.... Back to d main point. Your assertion have no relationship with what I said. Bible in never silence about polygamy rather God instructs that those who will want to be his priestws must be men ith only one wife.....
For me polygamy is not a sin as it is not written anywhere in the Bible, however God instructs those his ministers (that's the pastors, evangelists, Bishops etc) to marry only one wife
These were your exact words. If polygamy is not a sin since the bible wasn't clear on it, then cheating in an examination isn't either.
Re: Reno Omokri: I Don't Know If Polygamy Is A Sin by MiddleDimension: 12:44pm On Mar 10, 2021
Emusan:

Titus 1:6

I just read it and if you have read it yourself, you will agree that it is a requirement for consecrating Bishops he is talking about, and not that Polygamy is a sin. But of course, i do not think this that i have said is enough to convince you, at least, that you quoted a wrong scripture to back up your compulsory monogamy as the ideal and only model for christians.

And there is a reason he gave that requirment which is completely different from polygamy being bad.

2 Likes

Re: Reno Omokri: I Don't Know If Polygamy Is A Sin by Emusan(m): 1:07pm On Mar 10, 2021
MiddleDimension:

I just read it and if you have read it yourself, you will agree that it is a requirement for consecrating Bishops he is talking about, and not that Polygamy is a sin. But of course, i do not think this that i have said is enough to convince you, at least, that you quoted a wrong scripture to back up your compulsory monogamy as the ideal and only model for christians.

And there is a reason he gave that requirment which is completely different from polygamy being bad.

You claim I quoted a wrong scripture to back up monogamy, yet you couldn't answer my previous question.

For information, that verse is applicable to ALL BELIEVERS.

Firstly, where does the word BISHOP appear in that verse? No where but you decided to interject that into the verse.

Secondly, can you tell us the requirements that apply only to the Bishops and not ALL BELIEVERS?

Lastly, according to that verse, are ONLY Bishops commanded to be BLAMELESS or ALL BELIEVERS?
Re: Reno Omokri: I Don't Know If Polygamy Is A Sin by MiddleDimension: 5:26pm On Mar 10, 2021
Emusan:

You claim I quoted a wrong scripture to back up monogamy, yet you couldn't answer my previous question.

For information, that verse is applicable to ALL BELIEVERS.

Firstly, where does the word BISHOP appear in that verse? No where but you decided to interject that into the verse.

Secondly, can you tell us the requirements that apply only to the Bishops and not ALL BELIEVERS?

Lastly, according to that verse, are ONLY Bishops commanded to be BLAMELESS or ALL BELIEVERS?

born agains are commanded to be blameless, if that answers your question.
also, a man marrying more than one wife is not "blameful", if there is any word as such.

this is the whole scripture which you probably ignored:

Titus 1
King James Version
1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

2 In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

3 But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour;

4 To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

5 For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee:

6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;

the summary of the scripture above is: Paul is writing to Titus in a place called Crete. Apparently, Titus was his partner in evangelism. Paul started the letter with his usual way of starting letters by greeting and benediction. this is the whole content in vs 1 to 3.
in vs 5, he said: "For this cause left I thee in Crete". In other words, he said "I left you in Crete for the followi g reasons..." he then went on ahead to mention the reasons as follow

1. "that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting." in other words, So that you will put in place things that are needed. Apparently, the Church in Crete needs certain things.

2. "and ordain elders in every city, as I had appointed thee." in other words, one of the reasons he left Titus in Crete apart from the reason in 1 above, was also to ordain elder as Paul ordained him, Titus. in Christianity, this is usually done by the laying of hands on the candidate to be ordained.

vs 6 says: "If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly." meaning, if you have someone among you who is upright; in our words today, has no criminal record, much like what we do police report for. if there is such a person, and he has only one wife, and has children that are not agbero, then ordain him a Bishop (so you can see the scripture is not meant for everyone); why? because a bishop must be according to vs 7, "...blameless...." in other words, people should not have one or two bad things to say about you.

The blameless here does not include the fact he has only one wife, but because he has no criminal record, and other character flaws are not found in him. his insistence on the person having only one wife is in recognition of the fact the work of an elder or a bishop would mean so much sacrifices, that which may not be easily obtained from a man with a large home.

1 Like

Re: Reno Omokri: I Don't Know If Polygamy Is A Sin by Emusan(m): 10:08pm On Mar 10, 2021
I just want to crop the necessary parts in your post so that you can see the point you're making yourself.

MiddleDimension:
born agains are commanded to be blameless, if that answers your question.

Afyer you agreed with this, why do you go further to confuse and contradict yourself

also, a man marrying more than one wife is not "blameful", if there is any word as such.

This is from your own confused mind, because you already said above that BORN AGAIN are COMMADED to be BLAMELESS, and having ONE WIFE is part of criteria of being BLAMELESS.

vs 6 says: "If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly." meaning, if you have someone among you who is upright; in our words today, has no criminal record, much like what we do police report for. if there is such a person, and he has only one wife, and has children that are not agbero, then ordain him a Bishop (so you can see the scripture is not meant for everyone);

Look @color and see your own contradictory statement.

I don't know why you keep contradicting yourself after you already said above that born again are commanded to be BLAMELESS.

why? because a bishop must be according to vs 7, "...blameless...." in other words, people should not have one or two bad things to say about you.

The blameless here does not include the fact he has only one wife, but because he has no criminal record, and other character flaws are not found in him.

The blameless includes having one wife if not it won't be mentioned. Stop lying!

Are born again supposed to have criminal record and other character flaws found in them?

Laslas, you'll still come down to the fact that, the criteria meant for a born again is the same one for a Bishop.

I don't know why you're hellbent on this, if you want to marry more than one wives, go ahead but it is boldly written in the scripture that Christians are to marry only one wife.

his insistence on the person having only one wife is in recognition of the fact the work of an elder or a bishop would mean so much sacrifices, that which may not be easily obtained from a man with a large home.

Imagine, see excuse.
But OT peoples married more than one and still sacrificed a lot for God.

Just continue!
Re: Reno Omokri: I Don't Know If Polygamy Is A Sin by MiddleDimension: 4:13am On Mar 14, 2021
Emusan:
I just want to crop the necessary parts in your post so that you can see the point you're making yourself.

Afyer you agreed with this, why do you go further to confuse and contradict yourself

This is from your own confused mind, because you already said above that BORN AGAIN are COMMADED to be BLAMELESS, and having ONE WIFE is part of criteria of being BLAMELESS.

Look @color and see your own contradictory statement.

I don't know why you keep contradicting yourself after you already said above that born again are commanded to be BLAMELESS.

The blameless includes having one wife if not it won't be mentioned. Stop lying!

Are born again supposed to have criminal record and other character flaws found in them?

Laslas, you'll still come down to the fact that, the criteria meant for a born again is the same one for a Bishop.

I don't know why you're hellbent on this, if you want to marry more than one wives, go ahead but it is boldly written in the scripture that Christians are to marry only one wife.

Imagine, see excuse.
But OT peoples married more than one and still sacrificed a lot for God.

Just continue!

contradiction
/kɒntrəˈdɪkʃ(ə)n/
noun
a combination of statements, ideas, or features which are opposed to one another.

Look at the definition above and show me how that statement of mine is contradictory.

How does the verse you quoted also include polygamy as one of the blameless attributes it talked about, and why are you hell-bent on passing it for what the verse has not passed it off as? In the english language, comas are used to separate words when we list them and they do not mean the same. That verse CLEARLY SEPARATED ''BLAMELESS'' FROM HAVING ONE WIFE, SHOWING THAT THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. YET, YOU WANT TO EQUATE THE TWO. CAN YOU SEE YOU ARE BRINGING IN YOUR OWN INNOVATIONS INTO CHRISTIANITY; PASSING YOUR OPINION AS GOD'S OPINION.

in the catholic church, the bishops are suppose to be celebate. Is that criteria for other born agains too?

You have your issues with polygamy, and that's ok! But you do not go around passing your opinion as fact! To do that, you need to back up your claim with sound evidence. There are people who have got issues with monogamy too. Others have issues with marriage altogether, and that's fine!

The reason i go about defending polygamy is because of the lies people tell about it and the lack of moral support for polygamous homes and members of that home, which is one of the challenges they face. If you could give more moral support, like you give monogamy and members of such homes, more of them will have fewer problems!

Lastly, are you not bothered that you are teaching what the bible did not teach, and by the virtue of that, you cause pain among some people? Are you not concerned that your stereotypes and prejudices add to what other people would have to put up with?

1 Like

Re: Reno Omokri: I Don't Know If Polygamy Is A Sin by Emusan(m): 8:46pm On Mar 14, 2021
MiddleDimension:
contradiction
/kɒntrəˈdɪkʃ(ə)n/
noun
a combination of statements, ideas, or features which are opposed to one another.

Look at the definition above and show me how that statement of mine is contradictory.

You claimed BORN AGAIN are to be BLAMELESS yet separating the same BORN AGAIN from that verse is contradictory, I know you'll be too blind to see it that.

How does the verse you quoted also include polygamy as one of the blameless attributes it talked about, and why are you hell-bent on passing it for what the verse has not passed it off as? In the english language, comas are used to separate words when we list them and they do not mean the same. That verse CLEARLY SEPARATED ''BLAMELESS'' FROM HAVING ONE WIFE, SHOWING THAT THEY ARE NOT THE SAME. YET, YOU WANT TO EQUATE THE TWO. CAN YOU SEE YOU ARE BRINGING IN YOUR OWN INNOVATIONS INTO CHRISTIANITY; PASSING YOUR OPINION AS GOD'S OPINION.

The @bolden says it all about your lack of understanding of simple English and you even displayed it more with that @underlined.

The verse says: "If ANY be blameless, the husband of one wife..."

The husband of one wife is part of blameless, that is, if you have more than one wife, you already have a blame.

in the catholic church, the bishops are suppose to be celebate. Is that criteria for other born agains too?

At least you said IN THE CATHOLIC not IN THE BIBLE. Is Catholic your standard or the word of God?

You have your issues with polygamy, and that's ok! But you do not go around passing your opinion as fact! To do that, you need to back up your claim with sound evidence. There are people who have got issues with monogamy too. Others have issues with marriage altogether, and that's fine!

Yes as God have issue with it and instructed us not to involve in it. So I have issues with polygamy.

The reason i go about defending polygamy is because of the lies people tell about it and the lack of moral support for polygamous homes and members of that home, which is one of the challenges they face. If you could give more moral support, like you give monogamy and members of such homes, more of them will have fewer problems!

Well you can continue with that but never involved God because God expressly stated it in His word that He only establishes one man one woman.

Lastly, are you not bothered that you are teaching what the bible did not teach, and by the virtue of that, you cause pain among some people? Are you not concerned that your stereotypes and prejudices add to what other people would have to put up with?

Instead think about what you're doing to the word of God and your eternity.

That's how you people will be misleading people up and down.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

What Are The Effects Of A Married Cheating Edo Woman On The Husband / What's So Special About Getting Married? / Since You Know Your Partner Is Not Satisfying You, Why Accept To Marry & Cheat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.