Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,165 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:18 AM

Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State (16042 Views)

Ojema Ojetu Sponsors Bill Seeking To Stop NW, SS, SW From Presidential Election / Kennedy Ibeh Commissioning Of Bet9ja Project: The True Story / Kennedy Ibeh Builds Betting Shop, Commissions It As Constituency Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by Nobody: 11:00am On Mar 12, 2021
post=99819074:
The critical aspect of marital rite is bride price and it is one thing that is widely acceptable to solidify marriage.
Bride price varies from tribe to tribe and it depends on the custom and tradition of each family.
Some people believe that it is a way to safeguard marriage while others believe, it is a way of selling their children especially the girls cheaply.
But, whatever the case maybe.
It is expected of both families to take rightful steps and decisions when their children are proposing to marry.

Here is a A TYPICAL MARRIAGE LIST IN IGBO LAND.
YORUBAS, do have their list also,
But we are not so sure of the HAUSAS.
Can any Hausas here tell us if you have anything like Bride Price/Marriage List OR what your Bride Price looks like?
Thanks in anticipation.

Ego maternity -N- 1,000
Body cream: lux soap; big towel, 1 each
Ego ogo cherem - 50,000
Yams 20 tubers
Snails 20
Okporoko (stockfish) 1 big tray
For the ngwa efere
Yams 40 pieces
Okporoko - 2
Ukwa anu ewu - 2
Morning rose powder - 24
Pomade - 20
Sugar - 10 packets
Ovaltine - 2 big size
Bar soap - 1 carton
Tablet soap - 1 carton
Tin milk - 1 carton
Bread - 24 loaves
Salt - 2 bags
Rice - 1 bag
Tomatoes tin - 1 carton
Red (palm)oil - 1 tin
Groundnut oil - 1 rubber
Kerosene - 1 tin
Maltina drink - 2 cartons
Soft drink - 6 crates
Onions - 40 bulbs
Ego ala abo - -N- 10,000
Ego nfotu ite - -N- 1000
Big basin - 2
Big umbrella - 2
George material - 2 pieces
Hollandis material - 2 pieces
Blouse material - 2 pieces
Head ties - 2
Wrist watch - 1
shoes - 2 pairs
Big box - 1
Lamp - 1
Hand bag - 1
Nigerian wax - 1 piece
Gold necklace and ear ring - 1 piece
MARRIAGE LIST FOR UMUADA
Section A
8 Kola nuts or cost price
8 Gallons of palm wine or cash equivalent
8 heads of tobacco with potash
1 Goat for umunna
2 Crates of minerals
1 Carton of maltina
2 Cartons of star beer
1 Carton of Guinness small stout
8 Packets of Benson and Hedges
2 Bottles of Ground snuff
Lump sum (ogwe ego) - -N- 2,000
2 Bottles of seaman's schnapps
Section B
Kola nuts or cash equivalent
20 Gallons of palm wine or cash equivalent
2 Crates of minerals
2 cartons of maltina
2 cartons of Guinness small stout
10 cartons of star beer
One roll of Benson and Hedges
12 Heads of tobacco with potash
4 bottles of seaman's schnapps
4 bottles of ground snuff
Ego ala ezi - -N-1,500
Officers money - -N-1,000
SECTION C
32 kola nuts or cost price
30 gallons of palmwine or cost price
2 crates of minerals
2 cartons of maltina
10 crates of Star beer
Two rolls of Benson and Hedges
32 Heads of tobacco

And some lists come in 3 to 4 pages of higher education paper, it all depends.

Really?
Are you married now or still planning towards it?

Lol cheesy
Chief SEGLIZ,
That list is only for the strong men with good jobs for hand o.
Not for just anybody.
We can testify to that first hand.
Real Igbo men don't complain and they can go over and beyond for them babes.
Madam Ngo of [color=#006600][/color] is just smiling here sheepishly!
She knows what's up!

See what you sat down to type.

Are you jobless

2 Likes

Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:01am On Mar 12, 2021
It is only a foolish man whose life savings is less than 1m that will borrow 10m for bride price and weeding ceremony to please and satisfy the desires of 1 girl that claims to be posh.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by fineboynl(m): 11:09am On Mar 12, 2021
I thought Rochas okorocha do the same thing earlier.
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by Faithful1234(m): 11:18am On Mar 12, 2021
Echile:

We the elders are not in support of it.
We are Imolite and we are differ from others.
We aren't changing nothing in our Bride price.
wink
then be ready to marry all ur single ladies, u can have ten of them to reduce the rate.ewumadu.

3 Likes

Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by ottalo: 11:23am On Mar 12, 2021
That's why I like my tribe ohh bride price na #20 items you go bring no go reach 100k
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by Bulldozer90: 11:24am On Mar 12, 2021
What a stupid bill. Go and try any thing without seeing all the groups in the community and watch them break your head during the marriage. Traditional marriage is purely family/community matters. IMO seems to be producing more lunatics in power than other SE states.
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by LordOfTheGame: 11:25am On Mar 12, 2021
Anigreat:
shocked

Long over due

Imo people are using marriage as poverty alleviation.

I still remember when elder bro wanted to marry from there, it was so shocking to see one G- wagon Mercedes benz for the father of the bride, and a range rover for the mother... naso we read list the laugh, my brother been drive 1999 model Toyota Camry, when we remember it, we even laugh more... we tried all we could but to no avail.. las las senior man yappa o.

Imo people think they're doing me, they don't know they're doing their daughters.

Just for the love of "comments, likes & shares" you have made a caricature and ridicule of yourself with this unreasonable and unbelievable comment of yours.
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by Kingfragz: 11:34am On Mar 12, 2021
ottalo:
That's why I like my tribe ohh bride price na #20 items you go bring no go reach 100k
which tribe abeg??
Abeg

1 Like

Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by MummyD2020(f): 11:44am On Mar 12, 2021
Anigreat:
shocked

Long over due

I still remember when elder bro wanted to marry from there, it was so shocking to see one G- wagon Mercedes benz for the father of the bride, and a range rover for the mother... naso we read list the laugh, my brother been drive 1999 model Toyota Camry, when we remember it, we even laugh more... we tried all we could but to no avail.. las las senior man yappa o.

Imo people think they're doing me, they don't know they're doing their daughters.
G wagon? Are you for real?
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by INCREDIBLE007(m): 11:48am On Mar 12, 2021
ebukajay184:

https://igberetvnews.com/1384704/imo-senator-sponsors-bill-regulate-cost-marriage/

lols

the women for there don hear am

this is a welcome development
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by themanderon: 11:49am On Mar 12, 2021
Hahaha. The funny thing is that in some Asian countries its the women that pay the grooms family to marry him. Greedy slobs should have changed this a long time ago. Now most of their ladies are getting old And not yet married.

1 Like

Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by ottalo: 11:53am On Mar 12, 2021
Kingfragz:
which tribe abeg??
Abeg
Esan in Edo state
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by EMMY76: 11:53am On Mar 12, 2021
post=99819074:
The critical aspect of marital rite is bride price and it is one thing that is widely acceptable to solidify marriage.
Bride price varies from tribe to tribe and it depends on the custom and tradition of each family.
Some people believe that it is a way to safeguard marriage while others believe, it is a way of selling their children especially the girls cheaply.
But, whatever the case maybe.
It is expected of both families to take rightful steps and decisions when their children are proposing to marry.

Here is a A TYPICAL MARRIAGE LIST IN IGBO LAND.
YORUBAS, do have their list also,
But we are not so sure of the HAUSAS.
Can any Hausas here tell us if you have anything like Bride Price/Marriage List OR what your Bride Price looks like?
Thanks in anticipation.

Ego maternity -N- 1,000
Body cream: lux soap; big towel, 1 each
Ego ogo cherem - 50,000
Yams 20 tubers
Snails 20
Okporoko (stockfish) 1 big tray
For the ngwa efere
Yams 40 pieces
Okporoko - 2
Ukwa anu ewu - 2
Morning rose powder - 24
Pomade - 20
Sugar - 10 packets
Ovaltine - 2 big size
Bar soap - 1 carton
Tablet soap - 1 carton
Tin milk - 1 carton
Bread - 24 loaves
Salt - 2 bags
Rice - 1 bag
Tomatoes tin - 1 carton
Red (palm)oil - 1 tin
Groundnut oil - 1 rubber
Kerosene - 1 tin
Maltina drink - 2 cartons
Soft drink - 6 crates
Onions - 40 bulbs
Ego ala abo - -N- 10,000
Ego nfotu ite - -N- 1000
Big basin - 2
Big umbrella - 2
George material - 2 pieces
Hollandis material - 2 pieces
Blouse material - 2 pieces
Head ties - 2
Wrist watch - 1
shoes - 2 pairs
Big box - 1
Lamp - 1
Hand bag - 1
Nigerian wax - 1 piece
Gold necklace and ear ring - 1 piece
MARRIAGE LIST FOR UMUADA
Section A
8 Kola nuts or cost price
8 Gallons of palm wine or cash equivalent
8 heads of tobacco with potash
1 Goat for umunna
2 Crates of minerals
1 Carton of maltina
2 Cartons of star beer
1 Carton of Guinness small stout
8 Packets of Benson and Hedges
2 Bottles of Ground snuff
Lump sum (ogwe ego) - -N- 2,000
2 Bottles of seaman's schnapps
Section B
Kola nuts or cash equivalent
20 Gallons of palm wine or cash equivalent
2 Crates of minerals
2 cartons of maltina
10 cartons of star beer
One roll of Benson and Hedges
12 Heads of tobacco with potash
4 bottles of seaman's schnapps
4 bottles of ground snuff
Ego ala ezi - -N-1,500
Officers money - -N-1,000
SECTION C
32 kola nuts or cost price
30 gallons of palmwine or cost price
2 crates of minerals
2 cartons of maltina
10 crates of Star beer
Two rolls of Benson and Hedges
32 Heads of tobacco

And some lists come in 3 to 4 pages of higher education paper, it all depends.

Really?
Are you married now or still planning towards it?

Lol cheesy
Chief SEGLIZ,
That list is only for the strong men with good jobs for hand o.
Not for just anybody.
We can testify to that first hand.
Real Igbo men don't complain and they can go over and beyond for them babes.
Madam Ngo of [color=#006600][/color] is just smiling here sheepishly!
She knows what's up!

This list will definitely be over one million naira jeez

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by DarkJeddi(m): 11:55am On Mar 12, 2021
YelloweWest:
Whu are we Africans so obsessed with marriage? Of the numerous problems we have, which good polices can solve, why is it that marriage seems to always get more of our attention?
Are marriages and good policies mutually exclusive?
Who dey marry no dey think about good policies again? shocked
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by Nobody: 11:56am On Mar 12, 2021
IMO Amaka money vampires, exercise in futility, they will continue to hike bride price because the price of fuel is increasing in Nigeria.

BTW who wants an overpriced hoe?
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by holywind(m): 11:57am On Mar 12, 2021
josephft2000:
The way Igbos sell their daughters under the guise of marriage is worrisome. Anyway, in Igbo land, women are relegated to the background. Honestly, 80k as dowry fee is too outrageous.
mahn say imo, don't generalise it, in my place, it's between #100 to #500,
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by Kingfragz: 12:06pm On Mar 12, 2021
ottalo:

Esan in Edo state
hmm
Bride price cheap...but I dey hear say many of dem girls na witch....no offense
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by holywind(m): 12:09pm On Mar 12, 2021
ottalo:
my man where is you place, i'm coming to pick one of your sisters asap
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by ENIGMATIC2023(m): 12:31pm On Mar 12, 2021
Way forward
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by amanda2013(f): 12:38pm On Mar 12, 2021
Anigreat:
shocked

Long over due

Liar
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by harmony75: 12:48pm On Mar 12, 2021
good one.. our people are so greedy �
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by pacespot(m): 12:54pm On Mar 12, 2021
That is a good development if it means the extortionist practices in African marriage will be curtailed. Though the implementation is key but this bill will at least send the right message to those greedy in-laws
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by Idiko1: 12:57pm On Mar 12, 2021
AroOkigbo:
This is a very good move. We have to face reality. There are no jobs and many businesses aren't doing well.
Cut down on the cost of marriage, and entice more interested and mature ones take the bold step.
This bill is win win for both young men and women.

All these instances wey men wey de give women belle, and they are automatically married will soon disappear.

Why would anybody without job want marry?

1 Like

Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by sukar886: 1:04pm On Mar 12, 2021
Best bill ever in imo state,is too much...
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by Rotadbd: 1:59pm On Mar 12, 2021
MAD OH!!! grin

Do you know you can fix your stone pattern board designs with regular home Iron? Now you know. It's not a must to get a big machine before you make custom rhinestone designs.

https://www.nairaland.com/6066808/stone-pattern-board-stoning-materials/1#99652592

Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by miraculousGod(m): 2:27pm On Mar 12, 2021
I left chi chi in 2016 because of marriage cost, imo government should provide subsidy for marriage.
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by ottalo: 2:47pm On Mar 12, 2021
holywind:
Just find and good Esan girl marry and rest your mind
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by Polynek(m): 2:48pm On Mar 12, 2021
A step in the right direction
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by ottalo: 2:49pm On Mar 12, 2021
holywind:
My four sisters are all married to different tribe
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by vikiphy89(m): 3:14pm On Mar 12, 2021
Anigreat:
shocked

Long over due

Haha idiot
Re: Kennedy Ibeh Sponsors Bill To Regulate Cost Of Marriage In Imo State by Freelance363: 3:19pm On Mar 12, 2021
music to my ears!!!!
Now someone with much sense is talking. The whole south east need to support this proposition,and end all these high bills.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Arrest & Prosecute Arewa Youths Inciting Violence Against Igbos – HURIWA / Blueprint Apologises To Osinbajo Over False Publication / Monguno: Ahmed Rufai's appointment In Order, He Never Failed Any Promotion Exam

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.