Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,732 members, 7,813,406 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

Parent(s) Defending Children? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parent(s) Defending Children? (4287 Views)

Parent(s) Get In Here; Your Expertise Is Needed / How Do You Deal With Very Annoying Parent(s)? / Parent(s) Laying Curses On Their Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Parent(s) Defending Children? by InkedNerd(f): 10:35am On Apr 14, 2011
There's something that's been on my mind for quite some time when it comes to parenting and raising a child/children. I've always heard people say that no matter what a child does, the parent(s) should always defend their child/children. . . But what if your child does something so heinous that you can no longer stand by that child? I've seen parents of people who have committed crimes defend their child/children till their dying breath and at times it makes me wonder. Are you doing them a disservice by defending them? Is your defending them validating their actions? Does it reinforce what they've done and make it acceptable? I've spoken to my own mother about this issue and she carefully tried to explain that in situations like that parents walk a fine line when it comes to defending their child and acknowledging the actions of their child.

This subject of this thread is based on some information I posted in the sexuality section on Nairaland. While talking to Ms. Potato [a fellow NLer for those of you who don't know her] about a particular sexual act, I mentioned to her that there were was footage online taken by three Ukrainian guys who went on a 22 day killing spree in the Ukraine. These individuals were known as the "Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs". They tortured, killed their victims, and eventually finished their victims off with a hammer. In one incident, they murdered a pregnant woman and cut her fetus out of her womb. Although the police have uncovered 21 murders, there could actually be more. They [the Dnepropetrovsk Maniacs] had a tenancy of recording themselves while murdering each victim. Eventually, one of their videos got leaked onto the internet. In 2009, they were finally convicted and sentenced to life in prison. Throughout their trial, despite the fact that you see their faces and witness the murders in the videos, their parents still maintained their childrens' innocence which brings me to ask, to what extent would you as a parent go to defend/maintain your child/childrens' innocence if the truth is apparent and the evidence was very much present? Can you still continue to defend and maintain that your childs/childrens' innocence? If so, why/why not?
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by manutayo(m): 10:50am On Apr 14, 2011
Teach your children as they are growing to be responsible for their action by enforcing discipline in your home. Let them learn to be responsible for their action and deeds dont just defend them blindly.

Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old, he will not depart from it" (Prov 22:6)
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by babyme1(f): 11:43am On Apr 14, 2011
As a mother,i will protect and defend my child if he/she is in trouble. But i won't defend him/her if the case concerned is a crime like killing, stealing or any act in that line.

As my people will say, enyen awana mkpa ye eka nanga asineke ke idib( A child only shares death with the mother when he is still in the womb). As an adult,i will allow you to face the consequences of your actions.
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by NAJALYN: 3:10pm On Apr 14, 2011
If we raise our children in the ways of the Lord they will never depart from it. Give your children the right training, all the while giving them to God in prayers, to help them grow to become God-fearing and responsible children. Thereafter you can vouch for them. That does not mean that they will be 100% perfect. But they can never associate themselves with murder or other heinous crimes. Having said that I wish to say that it is only natural that parents would want to defend their children when they do something wrong. They would naturally protect them, but when they get home, they deal with them. Afterall the children are theirs, and in their custody. However the one who is unfortunate to have a murderer for a child can not afford to pretend that all is well because it will not be in their best interest to do so.
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by IyaBasira: 4:15pm On Apr 14, 2011
To be honest I have noticed this trend as well , especially among Nigerian parents. When their child does something bad, they try to defend them and make up silly excuses.

In other continents it's just as bad, if not worse. There was a news story not too long ago about an 11 yr old who was gang violated by up to 17 young men. And the most sickening part of the whole thing was that one of the mothers was saying " Well everybody's talking about the boys and what they did, but how about the girl? What about the girls parents and why weren't they supervising her? " Essentially she was trying to say that the parents were to blame for what happened to the girl , forgetting the fact that she wasn't supervising her son when he was despoiling another woman's child. That's how dense some parents are.

I think that no-one ever wants to admit that their child did something wrong, because it automatically makes them look like a bad parent. I can understand this because  people always think that a bad child equals a bad parent and that's not necessarily true. There are good parents and bad children, the same way there are bad parents and good children. Everyone has a choice to turn out good or bad, it's not necessarily down to the parents and the upbringing of the child in question.

But I have noticed that women are more guilty of this than men. A lot of women like treating their sons as if they are kings and never make them realize that they have to be responsible for their actions.

On the other hand, with regards to the murderers you mentioned, it's possible that the children told their parents that they were innocent even though they were guilty. I was watching a show the other day about a man who had committed a murder. He was put on the death row for 18 years and he was about to be executed  in a matter of weeks. Throughout the trial and their 18 years he was in prison, his wife stood by him, why? The man on death row told his wife that he was innocent. And it was only when he was two days away from being executed that he told her the truth, and his reason for lying was because he was scared that she would leave him.
This is obviously a slightly different example, but the reality is that people do lie to their loved ones and to themselves. Parents convince themselves that their children can do no wrong , and eventually the children convince themselves of the same thing.
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 14, 2011
@poster
STANDING BY YOUR CHILDREN DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU AGREE WITH WHAT THEY DID.

Whatever your child does (whether good,bad or heinous) you should stand by them. Standing by your child, as any parent should, is what is important here, regardless of the crime. It is too easy to stand proud when they do good and quickly dismiss/disown them when they don't.

As I always say, if your child fukcs up then YOU (as parents) are partly responsible for that failure, whether you like it or not.

I will ALWAYS stand by my children whether they have done a killing spree or som' worse.
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by Nobody: 5:09pm On Apr 14, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

@poster

Whatever your child does (whether good,bad or heinous) you should stand by them. Standing by your child, as any parent should, is what is important here, regardless of the crime. It is too easy to stand proud when they do good and quickly dismiss/disown them when they don't.

As I always say, if your child fukcs up then YOU (as parents) are partly responsible for that failure, whether you like it or not.

I will ALWAYS stand by my children whether they have done a killing spree or som' worse.

MBJ pls read the OP again. Their parents insisted on their innocence . . . There's a difference between stranding by someone and defending someone.

BTW, how's u? wink kiss
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Apr 14, 2011
Yeah my bad. What I am trying to say is that you have to be by your kids regardless.
Now, we all know crazy when we see it. The mother who watch their kids kill on video and still claim their innocence is as crazy as her kids. . . . . . .

I am good. How are you? And how is the love life?
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by ifyalways(f): 6:19pm On Apr 14, 2011
Uju whatever you feel for MBJ,just [b]kill [/b]it and face Omo Ibo squarely or have u grown a killer pucccie overnight? cheesy

@Topic,I wud love my children unconditionally as a mother but when they do the crime,they wud without doubt face the law and do the time . . .with all my love.
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Apr 14, 2011
^^ . . . . . . And here I was, foolishly thinking that sweet Uju had that murderous coochie I have been dreaming about. Oh well!!
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by ifyalways(f): 6:45pm On Apr 14, 2011
You berra quench that idea.

Uju has Hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD),is an unteachable Akpaka forest Virgin and worst of all is one of them ladies that believe that you can only preach the missionary way . . . cheesy

She's all mouth and no action.
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Apr 14, 2011
**** does the sign of the cross before tearing Uju's sexy pic who was in my bedroom next to the "hand lotion" ****
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by OAM4J: 8:46pm On Apr 14, 2011
I will support and stand by my child/children no matter the offence/situation

But I will not defend them for doing a wrong thing no matter how little.

I will condemn their wrong act but support them in getting over the situation.
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by dominique(f): 10:30pm On Apr 14, 2011
at times the way my MIL makes excuses for my husband's transgressions can be so annoying. i want to believe this is very common among mothers. i think the bond they develop with their kids makes them feel obligated to protect and defend their children no matter what. i've watched a crime & investigation series where a man gave clues to help convict his son for murder. i doubt if a mother will want to do that.
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by Outstrip(f): 10:49pm On Apr 14, 2011
Not my mother. I remember as a child anybody could walk into that home and say anything about us and my mom will believe it. I really hated that. Everybody else seemed to only have good things to say about us but my mother was always critical. It made me who I am today though. I hate to make excuses for myself till today. If I fail at something I take steps to fix it. The example you gave is so extreme though. I think you have to be mentally unstable to defend such
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by InkedNerd(f): 11:40pm On Apr 14, 2011
baby.me:

As a mother,i will protect and defend my child if he/she is in trouble. But i won't defend him/her if the case concerned is a crime like killing, stealing or any act in that line.

As my people will say, enyen awana mkpa ye eka nanga asineke ke idib( A child only shares death with the mother when he is still in the womb). As an adult,i will allow you to face the consequences of your actions.

Mother?!?! I had no idea you were a mother!!!

Anyway, I understand what you're saying. I love that quote by the way.

NAJALYN:

If we raise our children in the ways of the Lord they will never depart from it. Give your children the right training, all the while giving them to God in prayers, to help them grow to become  God-fearing and responsible children. Thereafter you can vouch for them. That does not mean that they will be 100% perfect. But they can never associate themselves with murder or other heinous crimes. Having said that I wish to say that it is only natural that parents would want to defend their children when they do something wrong. They would naturally protect them, but when they get home, they deal with them. Afterall the children are theirs, and in their custody. However the one who is unfortunate to have a murderer for a child can not afford to pretend that all is well because it will not be in their best interest to do so.

That's the part that makes me wonder. Although I don't have children of my own, after reading through all of the information I cam across about those young men, I really started to wonder how I would react if it were my children. For the most part, my brain is telling me to disregard them and let them suffer the consequences on their own.

IyaBasira:

To be honest I have noticed this trend as well , especially among Nigerian parents. When their child does something bad, they try to defend them and make up silly excuses.

In other continents it's just as bad, if not worse. There was a news story not too long ago about an 11 yr old who was gang violated by up to 17 young men. And the most sickening part of the whole thing was that one of the mothers was saying " Well everybody's talking about the boys and what they did, but how about the girl? What about the girls parents and why weren't they supervising her? " Essentially she was trying to say that the parents were to blame for what happened to the girl , forgetting the fact that she wasn't supervising her son when he was despoiling another woman's child. That's how dense some parents are.

I think that no-one ever wants to admit that their child did something wrong, because it automatically makes them look like a bad parent. I can understand this because  people always think that a bad child equals a bad parent and that's not necessarily true. There are good parents and bad children, the same way there are bad parents and good children. Everyone has a choice to turn out good or bad, it's not necessarily down to the parents and the upbringing of the child in question.

But I have noticed that women are more guilty of this than men. A lot of women like treating their sons as if they are kings and never make them realize that they have to be responsible for their actions.

On the other hand, with regards to the murderers you mentioned, it's possible that the children told their parents that they were innocent even though they were guilty. I was watching a show the other day about a man who had committed a murder. He was put on the death row for 18 years and he was about to be executed  in a matter of weeks. Throughout the trial and their 18 years he was in prison, his wife stood by him, why?  The man on death row told his wife that he was innocent. And it was only when he was two days away from being executed that he told her the truth, and his reason for lying was because he was scared that she would leave him.
This is obviously a slightly different example, but the reality is that people do lie to their loved ones and to themselves. Parents convince themselves that their children can do no wrong , and eventually the children convince themselves of the same thing.

I see what you're saying. In the case of these 19 year old murderers I mentioned [they were 19 at the time], there really was no way for them to lie to their parents--there were pictures that they took of the murders and footage of them killing innocent people. There's definitely no way to lie or deny that. I honestly don't think I could even defend my child if such a thing happened. They took away innocent lives, including an unborn child!!! cry

I remember watching a movie called "The Good Son" where a was a young boy who was causing harm and killing people [including his own brother] in the movie and when the mother was presented with situations the son would lie to cover up his actions. At one point in time, the mother realized what her son was doing and had to face reality. At one point in the movie the mother had to choose between saving her child's life [killer boy] or another child [her nephew].

MRbrownJAY:

@poster

Good point.

How would I be the one to blame if I was a good parent? There are kids who come from good homes and are just plain rotten in every way possible.

Outstrip:

Not my mother. I remember as a child anybody could walk into that home and say anything about us and my mom will believe it. I really hated that. Everybody else seemed to only have good things to say about us but my mother was always critical. It made me who I am today though. I hate to make excuses for myself till today. If I fail at something I take steps to fix it. The example you gave is so extreme though. I think you have to be mentally unstable to defend such

I've seen mothers such as your own. My former bestfriend from high school had a mother like that. No matter what my friend did the mother always found a way to blame her for things she had nothing to do. It got scary at one point because she would physically harm my friend--when I say physically harm I don't like a little hitting here and there. . . I mean full fledged beat downs. There were even instances where she would choke her to the point that my friends' little sister needed to beg the mother to stop.
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by Nobody: 11:48pm On Apr 14, 2011
@inked
There is NO such thing as a "born evil" child, its only a "lost" child who along the way (due to lack of care/attention) became the evil person he is.

Not every children require the same love/care/affection, some need much more than others so parents will always share the blame.
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by InkedNerd(f): 2:20am On Apr 15, 2011
@MRbrownJAY: I never said now was I trying to imply that any child is or can be born evil. I was only saying that there are those who are still rotten despite coming from a good home. And yes, I know that not every child requires the same love/care/affection.
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by babyme1(f): 9:01am On Apr 15, 2011
@ Inked my bad! Was talking about my future shuldren cheesy

How is Kokomnsion NLmansion going? wink
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by InkedNerd(f): 9:40am On Apr 15, 2011
^^^ Oh ok. For a moment I was thinking "Huh, she has kids?". I'm still trying to wrap my brain about the whole parent child thing. I even asked my grandmother and she told me she if it were here children then the matter is out of her hand and that whatever the court does is up to them. As for the mansion, plans are underway.
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by Nobody: 9:58am On Apr 15, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

Yeah my bad. What I am trying to say is that you have to be by your kids regardless.
Now, we all know crazy when we see it. The mother who watch their kids kill on video and still claim their innocence is as crazy as her kids. . . . . . .

I am good. How are you? And how is the love life?

I'm good but I'll be better if there was a 'love life'  sad  sad

Of course if you didn't turn me down . . . .  undecided
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by Nobody: 10:05am On Apr 15, 2011
ifyalways:

Uju whatever you feel for MBJ,just kill [/b]it and face Omo Ibo squarely or have u grown a killer pucccie overnight? cheesy

@Topic,I wud love my children unconditionally as a mother but when they do the crime,they wud without doubt face the law and do the time . . .with all my love.

Lol cheesy cheesy

I'm sure Omo Ibo wont mind . . . he's sweet like that! cool cool cheesy

As for the killer puccie, I'm working on it. Would be well worth it since the grand price is Mr Sexy BJ!

ifyalways:

You berra quench that idea.

Uju has Hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD),is an unteachable Akpaka forest Virgin and worst of all is one of them ladies that believe that you can [b]only
preach the missionary way . . . cheesy

She's all mouth and no action.

shocked shocked shocked angry angry

That is soooo not true!

I can be cat woman . . I can swing from a chandelier . . . I can give MBJ the killa puccie he wants! cool cool cheesy
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by babyme1(f): 11:00am On Apr 15, 2011
Ujujoan:

That is soooo not true!

I can be cat woman . . I can swing from a chandelier . . . I can give MBJ the killa puccie he wants! cool cool cheesy

OMG shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by Nobody: 11:38am On Apr 15, 2011
^^ Ok maybe I'm still building my skills . . . . but I'll get there! cheesy cheesy
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by ifyalways(f): 3:01pm On Apr 15, 2011
^^lmao.
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by dayokanu(m): 5:48pm On Apr 15, 2011
I dont defend criminal acts.

All criminmals should face the law
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Apr 15, 2011
dayokanu:

I dont defend criminal acts.

All criminmals should face the law

And yet you defend men. psssh!
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by dayokanu(m): 5:52pm On Apr 15, 2011
Men = Criminals? SMH
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by ifyalways(f): 5:53pm On Apr 15, 2011
^what of emotional criminals?

You wud be court-marshaled to my arena soon.Your cup don full.  angry

Ehen,her buffday is morrow,what u gonna give her?
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by dayokanu(m): 5:56pm On Apr 15, 2011
Ifyalways oya buzz me on IM make we talk all these codes don tire me.

I know you want make I fork you wella, So buzz me and lets fix a location
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by Nobody: 6:04pm On Apr 15, 2011
dayokanu:

Men = Criminals? SMH

Says the gospel according to Uju! cool cool
Re: Parent(s) Defending Children? by Nobody: 12:04am On Apr 16, 2011
what man wouldnt fall in love with a partner who is willing to satisfy all his deepest fantasies. . . . . . . . . . . . including swinging from a chandelier with a catwoman suit on?!

Uju, your application form has been received and will be processed in due time. a video of you, practicing these chandelier`s swings, will help you a great deal. lol!

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Are The Things To Buy In Preparation For A Newborn Baby? / Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! / A Snake Came Out From Her Vagina

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.