Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,269 members, 7,826,033 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! (4294 Views)

My Brother In Law (sister's Husby) Is Becoming Too Rude For My Liking... / I'm I being rude to my mother Inlaw. / Is It Disrespectful To Read Your Spouse's SMS? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by dealordea(m): 2:38am On Jun 11, 2012
It seems to be getting worse that people don't seem to be able to show any common manners or respect anymore.

You hold a door open for someone or make way for someone to get past and they can't be bothered to say a simple thanks. When you're out shopping people are in too much of a hurry to barge past you without saying sorry or excuse me. People are generally rude and manners or a simple please and thank you seemed to have gone completely out of the Nigerians language.

We seem to have developed into a very selfish nation where people only seem to want to think of themselves. Mine mine mine. I'm not anti young people as there's good and bad in everyone but young people seemed to have become preoccupied with themselves and I can't help but wonder whether there's a lack of real social skills and common manners.

We have more ways now to keep in contact with one another but the good old fashioned art of conversation and simply being polite, considerate and passing the time of day to one another seems to be dying off.

I find that old people are far more polite and sociable and young people seem to forget simple respect and kindness to anyone else but themselves. When i'm out in a pub I find that young people tend to shy away from making conversation or passing the time of day with you whereas old people are far more approachable and sociable. I've lost count of the times i've stopped to allow someone past, held a door open for someone or done an act of random kindness only for them to walk past without so much as a simple thank you. Is it too much to ask these days for people to be courteous and polite or are we losing the ability to think about others?

Peace out

5 Likes

Re: Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by Emioga: 6:43am On Jun 11, 2012
Its so true!!!but do u knw y?its d mothers of nowadays!
Re: Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by maclatunji: 11:48am On Jun 11, 2012
We now live in a material world. Manners and good behaviour don't count for many people. They only care about how rich you are.
Re: Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by tasandra: 5:46pm On Jun 11, 2012
maclantunji...i agree wit u.
Re: Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by Dimples316(f): 6:18pm On Jun 11, 2012
Poster, I feel you but when I encounter bad manners from someone, I either ignore the person spewing it or give him a verbal trashing. How I react depends on the gravity of their action and how ticked off I am.

Some time ago a bank teller at the bank asked to use my pen, first of all he didn't ask nicely and I ignored that but when he was done he actually flung the pen at me.

I was like what the shocked shocked shocked he didn't just disrespect me on top of my own pen. See craze that day, I gave him a piece of my mind and did so severely.
Re: Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by saintkola(m): 11:31pm On Jun 11, 2012
Emioga: Its so true!!!but do u knw y?its d mothers of nowadays!

what a stupid thing to say.
Re: Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by Emioga: 12:07pm On Aug 01, 2012
saintkola:

what a stupid thing to say.
guy no insult me o,just my point of veiw.am a woman nd it takes a strong woman to put her foot down at tymes.women r nt totally responsible for it bt they r contributing factors
Re: Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by Nobody: 10:04pm On Aug 01, 2012
@ poster thats because adults are no longer repecting themselves.gone are d days when a teachers threat of canning a secondary school student if he comes late to school meant a thing,when corpers or lecturers and people in positions of authorities in their respective fields lead by example but dis days u will see a 5o sumtin yr old man sleepin wit a 19 yr old girl.do u think that girl will ever respect a 4o sumtin yr old person much less 3o sumtin,wen corpers are sleeping with innocent teenage students,do u think dey wil b respected,some kids even grow up to see their mom disrespect their dad,do u think such kids will ever have respect.moreso we live in a generation that belives that no matter how old u are,if u dont have money,power,fame or position,u will never be respected much more regarded.but all in all,its in lagos all dis crap happens,it doesnt happen in villages where there are no nonesense elders there.if u go and disrespect an elder in like ibadan,even if that person doesnt have money,omo,u will hear d story of ur life o.lol,they will insult ur parents join and subject u to mass ridicule
Re: Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by Joyland(m): 3:58pm On Aug 03, 2012
That is the same problem we have in Ghana now. I sometimes blame it on the foreign culture that we seem to regard more than our own African culture. I wonder what the situation will be like in twenty (20) years time!
Re: Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by victorian(f): 11:09am On Aug 05, 2012
Cause, there is no parent at home to train the kids... Both mum and dad is hustling to make end meets undecided. Who then trains the child? ...the society, friends or miscreants.. It takes effort of both parents to mould the child to be respectful, hardworking and focused. Mothers cant do it alone. Mothers instill care, respect,love and nuture, while Dads instil discipline, focused mind, hardwork and diligence. It takes the two , to raise up a well brought up child.. Parents, please dont forsake your duties; for you are accountable for that child in future.
Re: Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by phraze(m): 3:08pm On Aug 05, 2012
Joyland: That is the same problem we have in Ghana now. I sometimes blame it on the foreign culture that we seem to regard more than our own African culture. I wonder what the situation will be like in twenty (20) years time!
Re: Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by hannydarl(f): 10:43pm On Aug 05, 2012
Fault of Parents. My neighbours kids are soooo disrespectful they don't greet anyone or say thank you. They are so proud cos their mom makes them think that as long as someone is not feeding them, they don't deserve respect. I am still waiting for opportunity to tell them my mind. E no go funny sha.
Re: Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by Nobody: 7:39am On Aug 06, 2012
@ hannydarl i must admit dat wen i was a kid i used to think dat way,i felt dat since my neighbours (who were much more older than me) werent d ones paying my skul fees or givin me any money,i dnt owe dem any greetin,but wen i left d protection of my parents and went to a federal university in naija,i became wiser,respectful n more matured,because in oau,no one gives a sht bout who ur fada or mother is.so exposure and age to has a role to play
Re: Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by hannydarl(f): 5:46pm On Aug 06, 2012
@kulyie these ones are big o. They are proud as hell. Once the babe needed my help knocked at my door asked my sis to come and call me that she does not have strength to come in then I said they should send her in she came and was asking if I could help her mend something. I told her I was busy and will never have time to help her that day or another. Na when she go my sis come dey tell me sef say she been dey say she no get power come in make them call me come for am. If say she tell me sooner I for tel the girl word. Her mom is my friend so. This na pikin wey I take 20yrs old pass o.
Re: Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by belemzy: 8:13pm On Aug 06, 2012
For me o i think some mothers are to blame. My elder sister had this friend that would never correct her kids in public. They will insult people in the compound , both old and young. when ever they fight or they are been beaten up, she jumps out in surport of them. My joy was filled one day when she hit her 4yr old son and he jumped out of their house calling her an ASEWO in the copmound. Laff won kill me that day. cos the next place he will call her that name will be in the MARKET. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Are The Young Ones Rude, Ignorant And Disrespectful Nowadays! by Nobody: 8:24am On Aug 08, 2012
@ hanny darl,what 2o yrs gap.y dint you giv her som good tongue lashin dat she will b so scared of u.nawa o.som kids are so ill mannered

(1) (Reply)

Advise Me Please !!! / The Life Of Kids With Limited Limbs / Getting Your Wife Pregnant Every Year, Good Or Bad

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.