Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:36 AM

Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt (29720 Views)

The Video Of Aba To Port Harcourt Train / Flying From Abuja To Port Harcourt: Nairalander Observation: Pictures & Video / Lagos New Guidelines For Public Transport Operations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by 24SEVEN: 6:14am On Mar 21, 2021
PhillyA:
I interned for a major oil company in Trans-Amadi back in 2006 and I can't for the life of me understand why anyone who isn't an oil worker and/or indigenous to that region would choose to live in Port Harcourt. Sales price of items sometimes inferior in quality to what you'll find in Lagos is doubled the price of items in Lagos. This is true for the most part, except for boli (roasted plantain and fish) which is like 20x the price in Lagos.

Cultists held sway in 2006, and there are gossips they had the backing of the then governor. During onboarding orientation for new hires at my company, we were warned never to display company badge (ID card) outside the company, otherwise we may be kidnapped for ransom. A colleague was stabbed on the street for no reason at all.

If you don't like rain, stay away! It rains all the time, and everywhere gets flooded. I've lived in rainy places like Lagos, Portland, but I've never seen anything like Port Harcourt.

As if that wasn't enough, the disdain towards Yorubas by locals was palpable and in-your-face, and I wondered then if I was in Nigeria. In my defense, it was my first time leaving my bubble of Lagos and SW. I impressed my bosses during internship and was told to come back after graduation but I never did.

Okay, we dont like Yoruba people according to you.. So becos of that you now resort to writing negatives about Ph. Shame on you.

1 Like

Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by replete(m): 6:37am On Mar 21, 2021
Good job you tried, used to stay in igwuruta before I moved to Elelewon; nice area but no light. My redmi 4x miraculously disappeared from my pocket there I still wonder how till today.
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by Kinematics: 7:19am On Mar 21, 2021
PhillyA:

This was my experience. So, I was a JJC in PH and posting hearsay about PH at the same time?

Your post was mixed with experience and hearsay. Go read your write up again. Post purely your experience and stop garnishing it with hearsay. And for you to think that Lagos is more safer than PH is very ridiculous. Just write you are a westerner and you are used to the lifestyle in the west.

We will understand you perfectly well. Afterall me I can't live in the west. Too dirty for my liking. We are trying to clear the dirts in PH, but the one in the west is in a whole new level.
Skull mining is another story.
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by Kinematics: 7:22am On Mar 21, 2021
24SEVEN:

Okay, we dont like Yoruba people according to you.. So becos of that you now resort to writing negatives about Ph. Shame on you.

You should know them naaa. He talks as if the Lagos he is running to is safer than PH..
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by 24SEVEN: 7:24am On Mar 21, 2021
Kinematics:

You should know them naaa. He talks as if the Lagos he is running to is safer than PH..

i know them very well. becos they know Port Harcourt and rivers can give them competition they start to de-market us with all kinds of rubbish lies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by Kinematics: 7:25am On Mar 21, 2021
Depressed101:
[s]you made a wise decision... to me ph is a completely uninhabitable place,I rather take rowdy Lagos than that city of blood...

My first day in PH was charactised by dead bodies littering the street right after setting my foot out of the sunny eru motors I boarded[/s]

Nonsesne!
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by Kinematics: 7:28am On Mar 21, 2021
24SEVEN:

i know them very well. becos they know Port Harcourt and rivers can give them competition they start to de-market us with all kinds of rubbish lies.

Exactly. You understand them very well. Tell me which state in Nigeria besides North East states that is worse in crime than Lagos? Is it Cultism, skull mining? Money ritual?, civil unrest, armed robbery, murder... name it. Even police records are there to show.

I don't want to talk about the Lagos environment thats the worst to live in Nigeria..
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by Depressed101: 7:32am On Mar 21, 2021
Kinematics:

Haha even a Lagosian too dey talk. Lagos is 100% worse!
i don't live in Lagos, but i will take Lagos in place of PH even in my sleep..PH is a glorified murder city..

1 Like

Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by Kinematics: 7:34am On Mar 21, 2021
Depressed101:
[s]i don't live in Lagos, but i will take Lagos in place of PH even in my sleep..PH is a glorified murder city[/s]..

No one is forcing you to choose PH over Lagos. Where you choose to live is entirely your choice.
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by nengibo: 7:38am On Mar 21, 2021
ubee:
So where Oyigbo dey before? Aba?smh...
Are you one of those that doesn't know the difference between PH and Rivers state
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by nengibo: 7:40am On Mar 21, 2021
24SEVEN:

Don't mind him everything written there is the same for a non Yoruba living in Lagos
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by udomonday: 8:05am On Mar 21, 2021
ikeseeholdings1:
PH na bad city....Ikwerre boys are not smiling. You don't have gun,you on your own. i could remember back then in 2016, i went to somewhere in Rukpoku. I was busy forming Eko guy, one Ikwerre man asked me to reverse My car which i refused.He went inside his HOUSE and brought out gun (pump action) My brother...na disappear be My name ooo.
is like gun is legalised in PH.I worked in a construction company there and was shocked to see labourers coming to work with guns.

1 Like

Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by sageb: 8:27am On Mar 21, 2021
Justkatty:
I stay at Abuloma but if you have a teenage boy(boys) please avoid there because na full there
which area in Abuloma do you reside? Abuloma is peaceful compared to Ozuboko,fimie,et al.
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by sageb: 8:30am On Mar 21, 2021
nengibo:
So Oyigbo is now Port Harcourt bros?
some guys don't know that oyigbo is another LGA
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by sageb: 8:35am On Mar 21, 2021
CzarChris:
Brotherly, I stayed/worked in ph for 6years before changing jobs and moving to Warri. Osharena, I will pick Warri and Uvwie 10,000x over ph. Area matter be say dem go shine eye for you, if you jinger back, they leave you, but if you dull? You are on your own.

Cairo city(PH) is not for the faint hearted.
osharena, you know that jakpa, deco, ugbolokposo is rough too. In terms of opportunities, PH is better.
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by sageb: 8:37am On Mar 21, 2021
Poloyanabo2:

Abuloma is odili road
Odili road is in Amadi Ama
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by nengibo: 8:40am On Mar 21, 2021
sageb:

osharena, you know that jakpa, deco, ugbolokposo is rough too. In terms of opportunities, PH is better.
Warri is rougher than Ph abeg, the guy feels more comfortable in Warri because it's his home city

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by Gerrard59(m): 8:43am On Mar 21, 2021
Half if not more than half of the recommendations are geared towards insecurity, tells you how unsafe the city is. Now, with the ongoing soot reverberating the entire city, one can imagine how life is in Port-Harcourt - capital of the one-city state called Rivers. Better Uyo than Port-Harcourt - low crime rates and literally no soot whatsoever.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by sageb: 8:45am On Mar 21, 2021
tammyf:

Oil dey Ur head..I rep bonny island anyday anytime....job yakpa
Bonny is cool with steady light. Can you link me up for job opportunities in the Island.
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by sageb: 8:58am On Mar 21, 2021
Gerrard59:
Half if not more than half of the recommendations are geared towards insecurity, tells you how unsafe the city is. Now, with the ongoing soot reverberating the entire city, or the can imagine how life is in Port-Harcourt - capital of the one-city state called Rivers. Better Uyo than Port-Harcourt - low crime rates and literally no soot whatsoever.

you are right but can you compare the human capital development in PH to Uyo?
No industry in Uyo and Uyo is small compared to PH.
I have lived in both cities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by ikeseeholdings1(m): 9:25am On Mar 21, 2021
Yes...too many guns in that city. You can't open a drinking Bar without having the presence of soldiers OR sars around you. Idon't think it's going to end soon
udomonday:
is like gun is legalised in PH.I worked in a construction company there and was shocked to see labourers coming to work with guns.
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by PhillyA: 9:43am On Mar 21, 2021
24SEVEN:

What are the positives about PH?
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by 99thEnemy(m): 9:43am On Mar 21, 2021
Headquarters of S.V.C aka Vikings aka Bagger aka Aro Cultists
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by PhillyA: 9:48am On Mar 21, 2021
Kinematics:

Your post was mixed with experience and hearsay. Go read your write up again. Post purely your experience and stop garnishing it with hearsay. And for you to think that Lagos is more safer than PH is very ridiculous. Just write you are a westerner and you are used to the lifestyle in the west.

We will understand you perfectly well. Afterall me I can't live in the west. Too dirty for my liking. We are trying to clear the dirts in PH, but the one in the west is in a whole new level.
Skull mining is another story.

I don't think you understand what hearsay means and you actually proved my point with this post.
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by Emu4u2c: 10:21am On Mar 21, 2021
Kinematics:

Jesus, what did I just read?
You can debunk the Lies or Correct the misinformation

Nobody know every thing broda

So tell me your own
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by Kinematics: 10:21am On Mar 21, 2021
PhillyA:

What are the positives about PH?

Too numerous to mention. A city that only Lagos and maybe Abuja can boast of more economic opportunities than.

Think about it.
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by Kinematics: 10:23am On Mar 21, 2021
Gerrard59:
[s]Half if not more than half of the recommendations are geared towards insecurity, tells you how unsafe the city is. Now, with the ongoing soot reverberating the entire city, one can imagine how life is in Port-Harcourt - capital of the one-city state called Rivers. Better Uyo than Port-Harcourt - low crime rates and literally no soot whatsoever.[/s]

Go to Uyo, no one is forcing you to remain in PH. Its that simple!
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by Kinematics: 10:24am On Mar 21, 2021
sageb:

Odili road is in Amadi Ama

From Amadi Ama down to Okujagu. Majority of the land was owned by Abuloma people before they were sold.
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by Kinematics: 10:27am On Mar 21, 2021
sageb:

some guys don't know that oyigbo is another LGA

The development in Oyigbo is too much that many think when they are in Oyigbo they are in PH. Quite funny.
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by PhillyA: 10:51am On Mar 21, 2021
Kinematics:

Too numerous to mention. A city that only Lagos and maybe Abuja can boast of more economic opportunities than.

Think about it.

In 2006 I struggled to understand how anyone survives on banker's salary in PH. What is the point of opportunities when the cost of living is off the charts?
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by replete(m): 11:04am On Mar 21, 2021
ubee:
So where Oyigbo dey before? Aba?smh...
Oyingbo is in River state but it's not port Harcourt. same way igwuruta, ethche and omagwa no be pH
Re: Guidelines For Newcomers To Port Harcourt by Kinematics: 11:05am On Mar 21, 2021
PhillyA:

In 2006 I struggled to understand how anyone survives on banker's salary in PH. What is the point of opportunities when the cost of living is off the charts?

Cost of living is another discussion, moreover cost of living in PH is not the highest in Nigeria. Also PH boast of one of the best salaries in the country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Flood At Igando Today (pictures) / 7 UNIMAID Students Die In Accident In Yobe (Disturbing Photos) / States Less Popular Than Their Capitals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.