Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,854 members, 7,810,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? (60949 Views)

Drone Footage Of Massive Structures To Be Demolished In Lagos / 795 Houses To Be Demolished For Lagos Fourth Mainland Bridge / House Of Architect Who Demolished Enugu Airport Fence Destroyed By Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by sharone21(f): 3:43am On Mar 30, 2021
In addition to contacting the ministry and its heads, u can write a passionate, appealing letter to the Governor to intervene.
Back this up with prayers. It is well.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Yankee101: 3:44am On Mar 30, 2021
Whenever you want to buy any major land in nigeria

1. Run a search in the lands and survey dept
2. Establish that the seller owns rights to the land
3. Initiate a formal transfer to you in the ministry
4. Obtain your CofO if you intend to develop it
5. Get a plan approval
6. Display approval number while building

1 Like

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by ogwumgbe: 3:50am On Mar 30, 2021
Omihanifa:
Two options are available in my own opinion

All of you should go to court and secure an injunction as soon as possible.

Or

You can also gather others and lead a protest to the government House or office so that the government can help you guys out by allocating another plot elsewhere

He should arrest the person that sold the land to him or her as soon as possible that's the solution and take him to court, then they seller has to iron it out with the Ogun State government
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by MostIncredibleDFirst: 4:07am On Mar 30, 2021
Moneyboyz:

I just tire bro, those people didn't pay my money till date, I bought another land and developed it and now this is happening. I finished it just 2 weeks ago.
it's like you don't always like to involve lawyers in your commercial transactions, right?
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Duplexxx: 4:33am On Mar 30, 2021
ipobarecriminals:
police to do what sad

lipsrsealed
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by pepericozi: 4:40am On Mar 30, 2021
If you do land survey plan immediately you bought it, you would have known that the place had been occupied because the plan would not be approved.

You made a mistake in that regard

cool

1 Like

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by mistarsam(m): 5:16am On Mar 30, 2021
MrNipplesLover:

Those cunning adron homes?

It is all good sha.
What about adron homes?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by donbrowser(m): 5:25am On Mar 30, 2021
Excelboi:
If you believe you bought the property in good faith and clean hands, go and get a lawyer to get an Exparte order for you as soon as possible restraining them atleast to arrest the situation for the time being.

You obviously don't know Ogun state
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by TemmyT002(m): 5:38am On Mar 30, 2021
BruncleZuma:
Omonile don eye your land; go your state Housing and Urban Planning Agency make dem check their charts if your land fall enter government land true true. Don't be a victim.

THIS!!
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by TemmyT002(m): 5:38am On Mar 30, 2021
Tonymegabush1:
What tittle does property bear? As in did you register the said property.

Just read the notice that was given to you , in it ogun state housing agency stated that your building is an illegal encroachment on their property.

honestly we nigerians are fond of purchasing property without consulting legal firms or estates developers, someone will just put piece of land towards next minutes you start paying over something you don't really know.

Before you part with your money over a property always carry out a "Search" on it once done you will not only know the originality of the said property, if the land is an encroachment search will reveal it..

How can someone search?
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by SMJay: 5:45am On Mar 30, 2021
Moneyboyz:

Any money I see from now on I will just leave this shit hole Country for good.

There are no signboard of government acquisition, not everyone knows where to go about these things, this is my second land investment going down the drain ��
I will advise you invest your money in REITs, no government wahala, or landlord tenant issues just google it and thank me later

1 Like

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by SMJay: 5:46am On Mar 30, 2021
akankemi1:
Estate land( like adrons home,revolution plus e.t.c ) is just the best. might be more expensive but usually no issues.

pray this gets resolved quickly
It's the best but they will never tell you the hidden charges.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Nobody: 5:46am On Mar 30, 2021
Those who sold the land already knew any structure at that sight will be marked for demolition in a time to come...
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by AFONJAPIG(m): 5:50am On Mar 30, 2021
If you are an Igbo, ntooooooooooor go to east and build it there and live in rented house , if your Yoruba, kpele, talk to them nah your brothers
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by AFONJAPIG(m): 5:51am On Mar 30, 2021
If you are an Igbo, ntooooooooooor go to east and build it there and live in rented house in ur host state , if your from Yoruba, kpele, talk to them nah your brothers
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by ivolt: 6:09am On Mar 30, 2021
RSVP:

I do not know what one can do in this situation but I will suggest you and other people affected should seek a lawyer's opinion.
It's sad we living in a lawless country where govt do anyhow over the masses.

This is the side effect of promoting, tolerating and even celebrating fraudsters.
You bought government land and still blaming the government instead of the seller.
The illegal seller seems to have cast a spell on his victims so that nobody cares to
hold him responsible.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Jaqenhghar: 6:12am On Mar 30, 2021
IMAliyu:

This country self.

Another problem is because of the land use act of 1978, that gives government control over all lands in Nigeria, no one ever technically owns their land.
Government can do what they want, and it's not necessary you even get compensated.

The problem is we abuse everything. Like I pointed out to someone here. Rules are meant to guide. In Niggeria rules are tools of oppression.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Oluwaricky88(m): 6:31am On Mar 30, 2021
Moneyboyz:

There are no signboard of government acquisition, not everyone knows where to go about these things, this is my second land investment going down the drain ��

bro am really pathetic on this issue with you.. May God help you..
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by BADDYCOOL0: 6:35am On Mar 30, 2021
Just relax,all case in Nigeria na settlement soon later they will ask you to come and do the ratification,from experience!!
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by brainhgeek(m): 6:36am On Mar 30, 2021
Moneyboyz:

I just tire bro, those people didn't pay my money till date, I bought another land and developed it and now this is happening. I finished it just 2 weeks ago.

The only vindication you have is if you did survey in your name and you have the C of O otherwise,anything can happen. No court will judge in your favor if you did not do those things. All lands belong to the goverr
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by AfroKnight: 6:49am On Mar 30, 2021
yesloaded:

they do have issues too

buying lands from developers doesn't give you 100% guarantee problem free

But not the problem of Government Acquisition. And not the problem of Omonile. It’s just estate development fees and security, etc.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by AfroKnight: 6:53am On Mar 30, 2021
brainhgeek:

The only vindication you have is if you did survey in your name and you have the C of O otherwise,anything can happen. No court will judge in your favor if you did not do those things. All lands belong to the goverr

Ordinarily you can’t even get C of O on land under government acquisition.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Printerscanner: 7:02am On Mar 30, 2021
Get a good juju man. Only Ogun, Sango, Aiyelala and Esu Odara can resolve this.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by brainhgeek(m): 7:10am On Mar 30, 2021
AfroKnight:

Ordinarily you can’t even get C of O on land under government acquisition.

Yes, but the first step, a survey, would have saved them unnecessary wastage of money and resources and strife with government
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Geo07: 7:20am On Mar 30, 2021
Nigeria Institution of Surveyors (NIS) always advocate for people to always contact their surveyor to help them chart and do all necessary things needed to know the genuinty of a land before paying up but people always like shortcuts. This is the result most times.
Always contact your surveyor before paying up for any land.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Whitecoal711: 7:25am On Mar 30, 2021
rafcrown:
Please whatever the situation don't lose hope. By the grace of God you will still build a mansion.
If you want to travel out at any time I will guide you free of charge because I am knowledgeable in this aspect. AFTER RAINFALL, THERE WILL SURELY BE SUNSHINE. CHARTING IS IMPORTANT.
please i am interested
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by Whitecoal711: 7:28am On Mar 30, 2021
rafcrown:
Please whatever the situation don't lose hope. By the grace of God you will still build a mansion.
If you want to travel out at any time I will guide you free of charge because I am knowledgeable in this aspect. AFTER RAINFALL, THERE WILL SURELY BE SUNSHINE. CHARTING IS IMPORTANT.
what are the requirements,and a first timer what will be the cost and expectations
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by yesloaded: 7:28am On Mar 30, 2021
AfroKnight:

But not the problem of Government Acquisition. And not the problem of Omonile. It’s just estate development fees and security, etc.
No they do have omo onile issue because they don't pay in full to the right full owner of the land

I've seen many cases of land owners taking this developers to court & even causing problem with land buyers

But as regard government acquisition, I've not heard of such

The best thing is for whoever that wants to buy land to do proper investigation before purchase

Reason why many people don't patronize developers is because of higher price they sells land

1 Like

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by iamdapsyj(m): 7:35am On Mar 30, 2021
RSVP:
This is one of the sacriest thing in Nigeria.

I still remember one man named Mr. Ariwoko that was very active on one particular radio program back then in Ogun state had same issue with his property. They served him noticed for 2weeks and he was pleading bad pushing the issue over the media and everywhere in btw that period maybe there would be a solution. so and I was listening to the program that day when he called in and said his house was being demolished right infront of him as he speak..It was very painful to listen to a family man going through all that and the memories still plays in my head till today.

I do not know what one can do in this situation but I will suggest you and other people affected should seek a lawyer's opinion.
It's sad we living in a lawless country where govt do anyhow over the masses.

I pray you overcome this obstacle and find peace.

People don't do the right thing when they want to buy land. The first thing to do is get a registered surveyor to do chart to know whether the land does not fall under acquisition especially compulsory acquisition or better still get a good lawyer to start the process for you. Majority of these omo onile just sell government land and some of the lands are even on drains, under high tension and so on. The Op didn't do or follow due diligence and its going to cost him big time. The only thing that can be done is if he has a CoO which I seriously doubt. With the Certificate of Occupancy, the government can be challenged in court and if the house eventually gets demolished due to some contraventions, the Op will be heavily compensated by the courts. My advice to people is they should not always be in a rush to buy land especially when its cheap, their are inherent dangers looming ahead. Seek professionals, it may seem expensive at first but the benefits are their in the end.
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by iamdapsyj(m): 7:39am On Mar 30, 2021
Moneyboyz:

If you had gone to the land registry in Ogun state, I believe they would have furnished you with necessary details about any land you want to purchase. You only need to tip people here and there. Na the naija way!!
Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by iamdapsyj(m): 7:40am On Mar 30, 2021
IfGodbeforus:

With the experience of what happened in 2019, you would have made proper check with the relevant authorities on this new one before purchasing it

Gbam!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My House Is About To Be Demolished, What Should I Do? by RSVP: 8:17am On Mar 30, 2021
Jaqenhghar:
there was a man like that too in Kaduna. After years of working abroad he retired to settle in KAduna. SO there wont be any issue, he went to the ministry of Land and actually followed due process to get his land and started building. he was almost finidshed when the government came to demolish his house. The same people that approved of the sale of the land were the same guys who went to demolish it. THe man just packed his family and went back abroad

I just laugh reading the comments on here .
In as much has we have people who doesn't know which or how to go about getting a valid documents for their properties here in Nigeria, I still want to be 70% of even the lenient ones still got entangled by this govt acquisition property issue . I have see people who had CofO and other valid documents and still yet their house were demolished and when they pushed further with lawsuit and they got frustrated by the already corrupted system and then give up!

Yes you're very correct! @Adeoba10

That Issue of mr Ariwoko made the anchor of that particular program invited people from the land registry in Ogun state to look into the issue live on radio and still yet al they do is talk and talk but they were the same people they issue documents to victim which houses were being demolished.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Cost, Estimate For Building A 3bedroom Bungalow In Nigeria (Detailed Info) / Akwa Ibom Begins Construction Of 18-Storey Smart Building / Parapet Roofing Support Building In Ebonyi State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.