Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,625 members, 7,823,750 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire (90879 Views)

McDonald's Under Fire In South Africa For Feeding Israeli Soldiers (PICS) / Kenyan Senator, Nyamu Karen, Kicked Out Of The Chambers For Indecent Dressing / Condester Sichwale Thrown Out Of Tanzanian Parliament For Wearing Tight Trousers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 1:12pm On Mar 27, 2021
buymyride:
we have criminal elements in every country. if you would be truthful, South Africans criminality surpasses that of any foreigner they have in their country. If you say they are criminals, why not leave that for the law enforcement agencies to tackle? Why take laws into your hands? How do separate the letters abiding ones from the criminal elements on your own? You will simply end up causing anarchy within the polity and the world would tag you as an intolerant nation of savages and you know why that would do to tourism of the nation.
On a lighter note, do you know the name of that alcohol drink in a brown calabash that Chaka Chaka used in one of here music? I plan on sourcing for it when next I visit.
I will search YouTube to see if I can see the music video

Umqombothi? grin Katleho Mogodi should brew it for you. It's sold in taverns as well, but very few in town.

The weather won't be a 'cool breeze' by the time u arrive in June unfortunately. I'll leave it to be a sobering surprise for when you arrive grin grin grin

The law enforcement issue is a long and tiring one my man, people have lost confidence in the system that's why they take matters into their own hands. You have to live here to understand how out of control things have become. It's another thread on its own, so let's skip it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by illicit(m): 1:17pm On Mar 27, 2021
jesmond3945:
ohhhh which culture, you mean the white man that gave you coat and suit? So the whiteman's coat and suit is far better than your traditional regalia as an african?

And how often do you wear this your traditional regalia if I may ask u
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by hermesprogidy(m): 1:22pm On Mar 27, 2021
selemempe:
they embraced 80% of western ideas. In fact the only part of their culture they kept was language and religion. Even those have been influenced by west. Below is a street in Tokyo. See many English signages? See how 'western' the people in the photo are dressed?

And for Japan, it was a deliberate strategy. Read about the Meji era. The emperor forced Japanese citizens to adopt western dressing deliberately. The westernization made Japan the sole non-white global power. Giving them the advantages to colonize China and Korea.

As for a white men getting red carpet treatment...who told you that? Maybe from an African...but his fellow white would have called the police on him
It's not Meji. It's Meiji. Emperor Meiji (The Meiji Restoration in the 18th Century) You are making my point. Lol. China's rise to greatness is way beyond wearing suits and trousers. Don't we wear suits and trousers here? China rose to greatness because of two things. Patriotism and competence. They quashed corruption, devalued the Yuan, and maximized their large population which made them an export hub, buy their products, and steal European and American technology. It has zero to do with some useless suit and tie.
On the red carpet thing, at least you agree an African will do that, and that was the premise of this discussion in the first place.
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by buymyride: 1:24pm On Mar 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

Umqombothi? grin Katleho Mogodi should brew it for you. It's sold in taverns as well, but very few in town.

The weather won't be a 'cool breeze' by the time u arrive in June unfortunately. I'll leave it to be a sobering surprise for when you arrive grin grin grin

The law enforcement issue is a long and tiring one my man, people have lost confidence in the system that's why they take matters into their own hands. You have to live here to understand how out of control things have become. It's another thread on its own, so let's skip it.

yes Baba, it’s
Umqombothi grin
A colleague at work told me stories about the drink on how it knocked them all out in the late 90s when he used to live in SA.
Katlego won’t even make me tea with those long nails of hers, she practically told me she’s lazy and can sleep for the whole world, and she truly does!
Am the one that does the cooking and washing of the dishes. She stunned me the day we met, she was practically wearing a see through net with nothing underneath shocked it was a huge culture shock for me as a first timer, but when we got to the mall of africa, what I saw other girls wear made me realize she was well covered up shocked
But the girl is beautifully and wonderfully created by God kiss SA men are lucky I swear cry
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by illicit(m): 1:27pm On Mar 27, 2021
kuuljay:
I bet the asshoile and his complexed arss lickers on nairaland wouldn't see this man bellow as indecently dressed

that's a wrestler, an entertainer, on a norm he won't dress like that to pick his child at school or to the bank.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by nkiliuzo(m): 1:33pm On Mar 27, 2021
Righteousness2:
Oga ask yourself!
If a lady had dressed this Manner, what would you have called her?
All things are Expedient but not all things are Needful!

No Matter what u claim you represent, if the above photo is what he wore , then he is naked and it's disgusting.
I have seen girls that wore bra and pant to a mall before, although they were coming from a beach close to the mall but still tho they were allowed in
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by selemempe: 1:38pm On Mar 27, 2021
hermesprogidy:

It's not Meji. It's Meiji. Emperor Meiji (The Meiji Restoration in the 18th Century) You are making my point. Lol. China's rise to greatness is way beyond wearing suits and trousers. Don't we wear suits and trousers here? China rose to greatness because of two things. Patriotism and competence. They quashed corruption, devalued the Yuan, and maximized their large population which made them an export hub, buy their products, and steal European and American technology. It has zero to do with some useless suit and tie.
On the red carpet thing, at least you agree an African will do that, and that was the premise of this discussion in the first place.
the importance of suit and tie in this discussion is because of how this man was dressed....as a tribute to some 'cultural heritage'. I denounced that cultural heritage nonsense by pointing to how the ever proud East Asians left many of their cultural heritage behind (including their dress) in favour of western/global styles. Of cause simply dressing in suit and tie is not all that is needed to develop...but it shows a willingness to shift from old ideas to more modern ideas.

Of course Africans are in awe of whites and would seldom want to disturb their fun. But I can assure you again that a fellow white would call the police too if this guy was white. And since both the shop owner and this guy are black...it's perfectly ok. And you may also be surprised that this black shop owner would have still called the police even if this guy was white. Because the shop owner already formed his ideas about what an appropriate dress code looks like

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 1:45pm On Mar 27, 2021
buymyride:
yes Baba, it’s
Umqombothi grin
A colleague at work told me stories about the drink on how it knocked them all out in the late 90s when he used to live in SA.
Katlego won’t even make me tea with those long nails of hers, she practically told me she’s lazy and can sleep for the whole world, and she truly does!
Am the one that does the cooking and washing of the dishes. She stunned me the day we met, she was practically wearing a see through net with nothing underneath shocked it was a huge culture shock for me as a first timer, but when we got to the mall of africa, what I saw other girls wear made me realize she was well covered up shocked
But the girl is beautifully and wonderfully created by God kiss SA men are lucky I swear cry

Yeah well, SA girlz are the Brazilians of Africa cool. They are a big tourist drawcard, especially for Nigerians it seems grin.

Funny thing about umqombothi is that it doesn't taste potent and is wholesome because it's grains, so it's easy to underestimate it and over-drink. That's why newbies like your friend get knocked out grin. But it's associated with poverty these days so you might get strange looks in pubs, don't be surprised, unless you're at a traditional affair.

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by hermesprogidy(m): 2:01pm On Mar 27, 2021
selemempe:
the importance of suit and tie in this discussion is because of how this man was dressed....as a tribute to some 'cultural heritage'. I denounced that cultural heritage nonsense by pointing to how the ever proud East Asians left many of their cultural heritage behind (including their dress) in favour of western/global styles. Of cause simply dressing in suit and tie is not all that is needed to develop...but it shows a willingness to shift from old ideas to more modern ideas.

Of course Africans are in awe of whites and would seldom want to disturb their fun. But I can assure you again that a fellow white would call the police too if this guy was white. And since both the shop owner and this guy are black...it's perfectly ok. And you may also be surprised that this black shop owner would have still called the police even if this guy was white. Because the shop owner already formed his ideas about what an appropriate dress code looks like
The discussion itself is heavily nuanced, and I only called you out because you were inferring that China became successful because they started wearing suit and tie, but we can both agree that patriotism and competence trumps any sort of dress code when it pertains to National growth, and for the second part, at least you agree that inferiority complex played a role there. Inferiority complex is never ok, and that's my opinion.
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by lexy2014: 2:03pm On Mar 27, 2021
Midas01:
But the women never go the malls like that or encroach other public spaces where there aren't currently performing their traditional rights at...so why is this man seeking for notice going where he shouldn't with nothing but pant and now and arrow?

Am not saying that everyone else goes out in traditional attire all d time. I was only correcting d impression that it's one entertainers that use such clothing
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by Elock1: 2:14pm On Mar 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

No I wasn't grin grin

Sexualised nudity in public is inappropriate, cultural nudity is not.
Wearing bikini is some people's culture oh
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by Horus(m): 2:18pm On Mar 27, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDksSxMy0Hw

A man harassed for wearing an African attire in a shopping mall

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by Godmademan(m): 2:21pm On Mar 27, 2021
It was a targeted attack on that mall. Someone set this up IMO. I'm only interested in what his supposed girlfriend wore with him to the mall.

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by mmsen: 2:21pm On Mar 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

Don't you think it's his right to remain static if he so chooses, if it doesn't harm anyone else?

I hope you aren't saying this as a Nigeria, nobody is as resistant to positive change as Nigerians.
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by drakeli: 2:23pm On Mar 27, 2021
illicit:
My problem with him is that he refuses change....

His forefathers have reasons for dressing like that then, such reasons no longer apply

Culture has never been static

The forefathers of his forefathers used to go about completely naked. He should have come to the mall with his balls dangling between his legs.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 2:27pm On Mar 27, 2021
mmsen:

I hope you aren't saying this as a Nigeria, nobody as as resistant to positive change as Nigerians.

I've noticed, but some of u are cool. I'm South African.

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 2:30pm On Mar 27, 2021
Elock1:

Wearing bikini is some people's culture oh

I haven't seen Technos video, but I guess their wearing of bikini was sexualised, as is customary in music videos these days. That I have issues with. Why do all music videos have to sexualised these days? Just simple lack of creative and morals.
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 2:42pm On Mar 27, 2021
Godmademan:
It was a target attack on that mall. Someone set this up IMO. I'm only interested in what his supposed girlfriend wore with him to the mall.

Lol grin grin
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by buymyride: 2:47pm On Mar 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

Yeah well, SA girlz are the Brazilians of Africa cool. They are a big tourist drawcard, especially for Nigerians it seems grin.

Funny thing about umqombothi is that it doesn't taste potent and is wholesome because it's grains, so it's easy to underestimate it and over-drink. That's why newbies like your friend get knocked out grin. But it's associated with poverty these days so you might get strange looks in pubs, don't be surprised, unless you're at a traditional affair.
lmao, you are funny grin
We have something like that here in Nigeria too, it’s called burukutu. Sadly enough, it’s also seen as drink for the poor here in Nigeria.
About the Brazilians of africa, I agree with that 100% but it seems your men over there don’t like your girls associating with us though.
Where are you based in SA? The last time I came, I rented a service apartment at sandton Gauteng, I was planning on visiting cape town before the lockdown was announced and had me book an impromptu flight back to Nigeria. You need to see Katlego practically crying at the airport cheesy grin

I will be back grin
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by mmsen: 3:19pm On Mar 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

I've noticed, but some of u are cool. I'm South African.

Yes some are cool but most hide behind religious jargon to justify being contrarian to anything 'novel'; everything from women wearing trousers; to men fathering fewer children; to people choosing to not get married; to making sex education widely available; to making contraceptives and birth control available; to people wearing dreadlocks; to not voting in old men with no integrity. They all face resistance from a foolish majority in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by Toearn: 4:17pm On Mar 27, 2021
Lol
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by maasoap(m): 4:29pm On Mar 27, 2021
illicit:
My problem with him is that he refuses change....

His forefathers have reasons for dressing like that then, such reasons no longer apply

Culture has never been static

Even in countries like USA and co, people are wearing much worse dresses in public places.
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by illicit(m): 4:35pm On Mar 27, 2021
maasoap:

Even in countries like USA and co, people are wearing much worse dresses in public places.

It doesn't mean it's correct....
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by descarado: 4:38pm On Mar 27, 2021
Lovely traditional attire.
We have westernized ours undecided
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by cybriz82(m): 4:52pm On Mar 27, 2021
See him DG ( dauda n Garba) belt wey him wear sef.
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by jesmond3945: 5:16pm On Mar 27, 2021
illicit:

And how often do you wear this your traditional regalia if I may ask u
regularly even during winter
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by jesmond3945: 5:19pm On Mar 27, 2021
illicit:

it's not cultural, it's just for convenience....
lol. It is allowed for convenience but not for culture, how interesting but in middle east is not worn or even asia
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by jesmond3945: 5:20pm On Mar 27, 2021
illicit:

At least they are honest by not tying it to culture, it's because of their weather....
but in arab it is hot and they don't wear it.
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by illicit(m): 5:26pm On Mar 27, 2021
jesmond3945:
lol. It is allowed for convenience but not for culture, how interesting but in middle east is not worn or even asia

Yes I mean they don't attach any cultural thingy to wearing it

What's cultural about wearing a bikini on a beach, it's mainly for ease
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by jesmond3945: 5:27pm On Mar 27, 2021
motymop:

So it is true that the blackman never advanced in anything....no progress just static and this is what you are proud of....to go about naked.

A progressive and thinking civilization would have thought about covering the whole body against the harshness of the weather conditions.

I wont be surprised too if they never thought about an umbrella to protect them from getting soaked when rain is falling.

So this lack of progression and lack of advancement is what you support because of culture. Amazing.

But whiteman goes around naked, some even wear skirt over how many centuries and we see nothing wrong

But in miami with all their civilization, people go around naked and with sagged jeans.

I have seen many white men walking under the rain without umbrella does it make them primitive?

The african culture white pay millions to watch and adore, is what we despise as africans. We want to be more white than the white man. I see it regularly here and it boils down to inferiority. I had to attack the african man who sells at the shop and if you see the way he mocked our culture, very sad.

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by jesmond3945: 5:30pm On Mar 27, 2021
illicit:

Yes I mean they don't attach any cultural thingy to wearing it

What's cultural about wearing a bikini on a beach, it's mainly for ease
but they are only that wear it in dubai, must they attach culture to it before you know it their culture? An arab will go to beach fully clothed but a whiteman will go their naked and you say is convenience.
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by jesmond3945: 5:42pm On Mar 27, 2021
selemempe:

so western dressing is your idea of modern ideas? What happens if we fine tune our culture to be dynamic and rival western styles? Many white people who got exposed to african styles, have dumped western style and never looked back.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Khalil Haqqani: Wanted Al Qaeda Terrorist With $5m Bounty Reappears In Kabul / Obama's Home After White House / Trump Salutes Soldiers Who Rescued An American Kidnapped In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.