Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,027 members, 7,810,834 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:33 PM

Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire (90776 Views)

McDonald's Under Fire In South Africa For Feeding Israeli Soldiers (PICS) / Kenyan Senator, Nyamu Karen, Kicked Out Of The Chambers For Indecent Dressing / Condester Sichwale Thrown Out Of Tanzanian Parliament For Wearing Tight Trousers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 1:51pm On Mar 26, 2021
'I left the mall heartbroken'

(Video) https://twitter.com/thandomahlangu_/status/1374712963106504705?s=20

A casual trip to a Johannesburg mall on Wednesday turned into a nightmare when Ndebele activist and author Thando Mahlangu was allegedly hounded out of the shopping complex by a man who described himself as the mall owner.

His sin, apparently, was that he went into the Boulders shopping centre wearing Ndebele traditional attire. The Ndebele are one of South Africa's minority ethnic groups.

In the video clip, the man tells Mahlangu that there is a right of admission and that he doesn't condone Mahlangu's outfit and he must leave.

The man continues to tell Mahlangu that the mall is a public place and he is dressed indecently, while Mahlangu responds by saying he is dressed in African attire.

“You are telling me I'm not supposed to wear African [clothes] in Africa,” Mahlangu says.

“I'm saying this is a public place ... I'm not allowing that here, this is my mall ... right of admission is reserved,” the man responds.

Mahlangu's girlfriend can be heard telling the man that “this is Africa then you can't tell someone what to do, what to wear, at which mall”.

“I left the mall heartbroken and even now as we speak, I'm still not fine emotionally.”

The centre management said in a statement:

The Boulders Shopping Centre would like to apologise unreservedly for the incident that took place at Clicks.

“The centre would like to clarify that it does not deny entry based on appearances and clothes. It is unfortunate that the incident that occurred inside Clicks is being viewed as intolerant towards other cultures and clothes.

“We take this opportunity to once again apologise to those who feel hurt by the incident. The decision was taken in the interests of other shoppers and employees of the mall,” said the centre management.

However, comments on social media were mostly supportive of Mr Mahlangu and called for African attire and practices to not be suppressed in South Africa.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by illicit(m): 1:55pm On Mar 26, 2021
My problem with him is that he refuses change....

His forefathers have reasons for dressing like that as at then, such reasons no longer apply

Culture has never been static

It is dynamic

281 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by Righteousness2(m): 1:58pm On Mar 26, 2021
Oga ask yourself!
If a lady had dressed this Manner, what would you have called her?
All things are Expedient but not all things are Needful!

No Matter what u claim you represent, if the above photo is what he wore , then he is naked and it's disgusting.

116 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 2:00pm On Mar 26, 2021
Righteousness2:
Oga ask yourself!
If a lady had dressed this Manner, what would you have called her?
All things are Expedient but not all things are Needful!

No Matter what u claim you represent, you are naked and it's disgusting.

I think this tweet relates to your statement.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 2:12pm On Mar 26, 2021
illicit:
My problem with most people is that they refuse change....

His forefathers have reasons for dressing like that then, such reasons no longer apply

Don't you think it's his right to remain static if he so chooses, if it doesn't harm anyone else?

174 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by motymop: 2:20pm On Mar 26, 2021
But, this is ridiculous.

Can he dress like that to a job interview or a business meeting where he suppose to sign a deal of 200 milion rand.

A classic case of attention seeking.

Nowadays, even mad people cover up.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 2:27pm On Mar 26, 2021
motymop:
But, this is ridiculous.

Can he dress like that to a job interview or a business meeting where he suppose to sign a deal of 200 milion rand.

Lol grin

He's got his fans.

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by illicit(m): 2:32pm On Mar 26, 2021
He might even be insane

2 Likes

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 2:40pm On Mar 26, 2021
illicit:

If the larger society deems his dressing inappropriate then he has no choice than to comply....

He might have even be insane

He's a cultural activist and author.

Anyway, in civilised societies laws are put in place to protect minorities from the tyranny of the majority. Just because the majority don't like it doesn't make it wrong.

103 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by illicit(m): 2:59pm On Mar 26, 2021
TMKsouth:

He's a cultural activist and author.

Anyway, in civilised societies laws are put in place to protect minorities from the tyranny of the majority. Just because the majority don't like it doesn't make it wrong.

I feel u but there's nothing cultural about this man....

He ought to behave like a civilised person if he wants the protection that civilisation offers

Is the culture in his sole custody

Other people who originally shared the same culture and origin with him has moved on, he is just stagnant....

If I should decide to go around nude today because our ancestors were actually like that, will you permit that? if I was ur son

female genitals mutilation is our culture, do u support it

7 Likes

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 3:14pm On Mar 26, 2021
illicit:

Is the culture in his sole custody

Other people who originally shared the same culture and origin with him has moved on, he is just stagnant....

If I should decide to go around nude today because our ancestors were actually like that, will you permit that? if I was ur son

I think a proper diagnosis of what constitutes a cultural practice is needed before you decide to walk around nude in public.

Also, it's not true that others have moved on, they just don't dress like this in urban areas.

It is surprising to me they are allowed to perform and exhibit outside malls and other public areas for tourists, and yet deemed inappropriate to enter those same malls to shop.

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by illicit(m): 3:18pm On Mar 26, 2021
TMKsouth:

I think a proper diagnosis of what constitutes a cultural practice is needed before you decide to walk around nude in public.

Also, it's not true that others have moved on, they just don't dress like this in urban areas.

It is surprising to me they are allowed to perform and exhibit outside malls and other public areas for tourists, and yet deemed inappropriate to enter those same malls to shop.

Those people are entertainers, artists....

On a norm, they dress differently and properly

What they wore in that pics is just props and costume

4 Likes

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 3:31pm On Mar 26, 2021
illicit:

Those people are entertainers, artists....

On a norm, they dress differently and properly

What they wore in that pics is just props and costume

Yes they dress differently in everyday urban life, but there's no law that outlaws traditional attire.

These Khoisan have been camping outside the president's office for more than a year and they haven't been removed for indecency. And this is how they choose to dress. No one has the right to tell them not to.

Anyway, lets leave it here bro.

41 Likes

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by illicit(m): 3:32pm On Mar 26, 2021
TMKsouth:

Yes they dress differently in everyday urban life, but there's no law that outlaws traditional attire.

These Khoisan have been camping outside the president's office for more than a year and they haven't been removed for indecency. And this is how they choose to dress. No one has the right to tell them not to.

Anyway, lets leave it here bro.

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by Randy100: 3:58pm On Mar 26, 2021
Seriously, I don't know who to side in this matter, they are both right and wrong.

5 Likes

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by Mixedfruit: 4:05pm On Mar 26, 2021
South Africa would be worse than Somalia had there been no white
people, and nigeria will be fully recognized as the giant of africa.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by Reeses: 4:05pm On Mar 26, 2021
About time we teach those white people that we have the right to dress how we want. This is our land

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 5:07pm On Mar 26, 2021
Mixedfruit:
South Africa would be worse than Somalia had there been no white
people, and nigeria will be fully recognized as the giant of africa.

Had there been no colonisation "Nigeria" wouldn't exist either. Think about it.

Anyway, most SA tribes don't wear animal skins, e.g.

Pic 1 - Basotho
Pic 2 - Xhosa
Pic 3 - Venda
Pic 4 - Ndebele

8 Likes

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by 2rez: 5:32pm On Mar 26, 2021
TMKsouth:

Don't you think it's his right to remain static if he so chooses, if it doesn't harm anyone else?
. Confirm oil dey your head. It's called CHOICE. Unless he ain't got no face mask on, hounding him out would have been justifiable. This is indeed a plain unclothed suppression of culture plus hypocrisy @ it's zenith.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by Felabrity: 6:08pm On Mar 26, 2021
This is not tradition, you are exposing your body which no one wants to look at

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by oloyedewaris(m): 6:21pm On Mar 26, 2021
Not good
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by Ayo2004: 6:29pm On Mar 26, 2021
Free am jhoor
Went to ICM,Ikeja and women were wearing worse

6 Likes

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by P1PrinceKT(m): 6:48pm On Mar 26, 2021
This is remembering me how our grandparents (Easterners) are before 19 century.
thank God for the current development.

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 7:10pm On Mar 26, 2021
Ayo2004:
Free am jhoor
Went to ICM,Ikeja and women were wearing worse

Lol grin grin
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by zolajpower: 7:32pm On Mar 26, 2021
TMKsouth:
'I left the mall heartbroken'

(Video) https://twitter.com/thandomahlangu_/status/1374712963106504705?s=20

A casual trip to a Johannesburg mall on Wednesday turned into a nightmare when Ndebele activist and author Thando Mahlangu was allegedly hounded out of the shopping complex by a man who described himself as the mall owner.

His sin, apparently, was that he went into the Boulders shopping centre wearing Ndebele traditional attire. The Ndebele are one of South Africa's minority ethnic groups.

In the video clip, the man tells Mahlangu that there is a right of admission and that he doesn't condone Mahlangu's outfit and he must leave.

The man continues to tell Mahlangu that the mall is a public place and he is dressed indecently, while Mahlangu responds by saying he is dressed in African attire.

“You are telling me I'm not supposed to wear African [clothes] in Africa,” Mahlangu says.

“I'm saying this is a public place ... I'm not allowing that here, this is my mall ... right of admission is reserved,” the man responds.

Mahlangu's girlfriend can be heard telling the man that “this is Africa then you can't tell someone what to do, what to wear, at which mall”.

“I left the mall heartbroken and even now as we speak, I'm still not fine emotionally.”

The centre management said in a statement:

The Boulders Shopping Centre would like to apologise unreservedly for the incident that took place at Clicks.

“The centre would like to clarify that it does not deny entry based on appearances and clothes. It is unfortunate that the incident that occurred inside Clicks is being viewed as intolerant towards other cultures and clothes.

“We take this opportunity to once again apologise to those who feel hurt by the incident. The decision was taken in the interests of other shoppers and employees of the mall,” said the centre management.

However, comments on social media were mostly supportive of Mr Mahlangu and called for African attire and practices to not be suppressed in South Africa.

Next time you sef dress well Pele oo

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by kumulus(m): 9:13pm On Mar 26, 2021
illicit:
My problem with him is that he refuses change....

His forefathers have reasons for dressing like that then, such reasons no longer apply

...but millennial girlfriends of the manager running around on beaches and the countless summer body showoffs can be accepted dressed no different. Haba

7 Likes

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by kumulus(m): 9:19pm On Mar 26, 2021
motymop:
But, this is ridiculous.

The report said he was at the mall, would you also go all corporately dressed in suit, tie and shoe just to pick up a few groceries?

13 Likes

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by illicit(m): 9:20pm On Mar 26, 2021
kumulus:

...but millennial girlfriends of the manager running around on beaches and the countless summer body showoffs can be accepted dressed no different. Haba

No there is a difference, that's not cultural, it's recreational....

It will be absurd to wear kimono or agbada at the Beach....

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Khalil Haqqani: Wanted Al Qaeda Terrorist With $5m Bounty Reappears In Kabul / Trump Salutes Soldiers Who Rescued An American Kidnapped In Nigeria / Obama's Home After White House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.