Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,291 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:12 AM

Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire (90873 Views)

McDonald's Under Fire In South Africa For Feeding Israeli Soldiers (PICS) / Kenyan Senator, Nyamu Karen, Kicked Out Of The Chambers For Indecent Dressing / Condester Sichwale Thrown Out Of Tanzanian Parliament For Wearing Tight Trousers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by hermesprogidy(m): 12:07pm On Mar 27, 2021
selemempe:
Fool! China's system of government came from the Soviet Union. I knew you know nothing chai grin And I was arguing with you. Japan is a parliamentary democracy based on the Westminster style. Awolowo free education may have been responsible for your poor knowledge of these issues but I will forgive it.

Can you tell me what china has invented?? Mobile phones and internet came from US. Planes and automobiles came from Europe. Having an army, navy and air force are western ideas. Dressing in suite are western ideas.

You talk of language. Pray tell who doesn't speak their mother tongue in Africa? Swahili is the national language in Kenya. There is a language spoken by most Ghanaians. Nigeria is the only African country without a native national language. Language is not an issue at all. And has nothing to do with westernisation. Religion is also not a factor in westernisation.

The main factors of westernisation is dressing well... western style education .... understanding and using modern technology and knowing an international language. Leaving backward culture behind
China is the mother of inventions. She invented writing, paper, fireworks, and loads of other things you take for granted, including numbers and mathematics. (Alongside India) Westernization goes beyond dressing. It includes Religion, language and general culture.
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by almayda: 12:09pm On Mar 27, 2021
[It is hurting other people,the reason the call it,disturbing.quote author=TMKsouth post=100232090]

Don't you think it's his right to remain static if he so chooses, if it doesn't harm anyone else?[/quote]
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by NiRfreak(m): 12:12pm On Mar 27, 2021
BLoomfrancs:

Lol m oron. Don't you see how horrible that attire looks. Can you compare that to how royal Nigerian attires are, like the Igbo traditional attire or the yoruba agbada or the hausa danshiki(whatever it is called) or the calabari attire. Mumu, if you are to dress in your native attire, make it very beautiful and clean.
Shut the fvvck up you fool!
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by SIRTee15: 12:13pm On Mar 27, 2021
hermesprogidy:

China is the mother of inventions. She invented writing, paper, fireworks, and loads of other things you take for granted, including numbers and mathematics. (Alongside India) Westernization goes beyond dressing. It includes Religion, language and general culture.

China didn't invent paper. Paper came from Egypt.
Mathematics is too broad...different areas of maths came from different countries.
Numbers we use today originate from Arab and western Asia.
China invented writing...seriously.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by maureensylvia(f): 12:14pm On Mar 27, 2021
femijay8271:

Honey beans

49k for 47 mudu

I'll mention you on my thread for further enquiry
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by illicit(m): 12:16pm On Mar 27, 2021
jesmond3945:
who told you is not cultural or why would people wear bikini to the shop in uk or usa.

At least they are honest by not tying it to culture, it's because of their weather....
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 12:17pm On Mar 27, 2021
almayda:
[It is hurting other people,the reason the call it,disturbing.quote author=TMKsouth post=100232090]

Don't you think it's his right to remain static if he so chooses, if it doesn't harm anyone else?

There are some people who are disturbed by Nigerians wearing their attire in SA or eating ponmo. Should we expel Nigerians?

The law states all non-harmful cultural practices are okay so those who are offended should approach the courts or win elections to rewrite the Constitution.
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by BLoomfrancs(m): 12:17pm On Mar 27, 2021
NiRfreak:

Shut the fvvck up you fool!

illbred b astard
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by selemempe: 12:18pm On Mar 27, 2021
hermesprogidy:

Africa has also been a mother of inventions long before China. Egypt and Sudan are the birth places of civilization.
Today's China however owes its new found success to Western ideas. And they have gone deeper and deeper to westernise and modernize their society. Africa should do the same and leave the old ways. If you want to badly hold on to the old ways in the name of culture, you would create a very unappealing society

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 12:20pm On Mar 27, 2021
IronGalaxy:
Lol, A very whitewashed perspective as to be expected. I wasn't taking about India but I was referring to South Africans of Indians lineage, they dress in their Saris and can shop anywhere and anyjow without being bothered why not Africans? You speak as of our culture is something to look down upon

Secondly, this video is just an anomaly. This guy was just feeling himself because of his position, we do dress in our tribal and shop with it especially on heritage day

And why is it acceptable on Heritage Day and not other days? Every day should be heritage day.

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by femijay8271(m): 12:27pm On Mar 27, 2021
maureensylvia:

49k for 47 mudu
I'll mention you on my thread for further enquiry
I don't understand what u mean by 47 mudu & d u av any base in Lagos?

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by purples25(f): 12:28pm On Mar 27, 2021
His stomach like my own.

How can Africans not dress as themselves in Africa?
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 12:28pm On Mar 27, 2021
Elock1:

But when tekno put girls in a car... Were u not among those complaining?

No I wasn't grin grin

Sexualised nudity in public is inappropriate, cultural nudity is not.
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by maureensylvia(f): 12:30pm On Mar 27, 2021
femijay8271:

I don't understand what u mean by 47 mudu & d u av any base in Lagos?

Kano uses mudu some call it tiers

And no I have no base in Lagos
I stay in kano
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 12:31pm On Mar 27, 2021
9jaRealist:

But they do NOT go dressed like this!
Dude, you cannot sweep everything under the monochrome of “culture”

Some culture is APPROPRIATE...
Others (such as killing twins) are clearly NOT, or are dependent on context!

PS: Apologies to anyone who might be offended by the following pictures (not that I personally necessarily think them to be offensive).
>

You and IronGalaxy are inviting the vaseline crew over here grin grin
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by jrusky(m): 12:34pm On Mar 27, 2021
illicit:
My problem with him is that he refuses change....

His forefathers have reasons for dressing like that then, such reasons no longer apply

Culture has never been static

They can never change that is why killing fellow blacks gives them joy.

Nonentities.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by femijay8271(m): 12:35pm On Mar 27, 2021
maureensylvia:

Kano uses mudu some call it tiers
And no I have no base in Lagos I stay in kano
alright

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by Topmaike007(m): 12:36pm On Mar 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

He's a cultural activist and author.

Anyway, in civilised societies laws are put in place to protect minorities from the tyranny of the majority. Just because the majority don't like it doesn't make it wrong.
you deserve to be flog for replying that useless mofos who has lost his sense of reason in the name of worshiping the white.. Sorry to insult you but you're dense not to have notice that he is a fool

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by hermesprogidy(m): 12:37pm On Mar 27, 2021
selemempe:
Africa has also been a mother of inventions long before China. Egypt and Sudan are the birth places of civilization.
Today's China however owes its new found success to Western ideas. And they have gone deeper and deeper to westernise and modernize their society. Africa should do the same and leave the old ways. If you want to badly hold on to the old ways in the name of culture, you would create a very unappealing society
That's a very simplistic way of looking at things. China's new found success is not based entirely on embracing western culture. Like the Japanese, they only embraced western education, specifically science and technology, but left significant parts of their cultures intact. While I agree that not all aspects of our culture is beneficial and should be done away with, it is our blatant hypocrisy and inferiority complex that irks me. If it was a White man dressed in this attire that silly shop owner would have thrown out a red carpet.

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by mesmer: 12:38pm On Mar 27, 2021
illicit:

Those people are entertainers, artists....

On a norm, they dress differently and properly

What they wore in that pics is just props and costume
You two bare faced hypocrite. SMH
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by Deepfeel(m): 12:40pm On Mar 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

Don't you think it's his right to remain static if he so chooses, if it doesn't harm anyone else?

I believe the mall owner was genuinely scared of the man wearing traditional attire, perhaps scared that he might also use traditional powers to steal something from the mall grin

A man dressed in 18th century traditional attire has no business in a mall what will he buy there?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 12:41pm On Mar 27, 2021
Deepfeel:

I believe the mall owner was genuinely scared of the man wearing traditional attire, perhaps scared that he might also use traditional powers to steal something from the mall grin

A man dressed 18 century traditional attire has no business in a mall what will he buy there?

Dude, u hilarious! grin grin

Happy birthday.

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by Deepfeel(m): 12:44pm On Mar 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

Dude, u hilarious! grin grin

Happy birthday.

Thanks man

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by illicit(m): 12:45pm On Mar 27, 2021
jrusky:

They can never change that is why killing fellow blacks gives them joy.
Nonentities.

I dey with u, no mind dem hypocrites....
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by TMKsouth: 12:49pm On Mar 27, 2021
Auxtin85:

Okay, if you say so, but Zulus are the most violence in SA, Ndebele behaves like them even Zimbabwe Ndebele

They both form part of the Nguni clan, which includes Swatis and Xhosas, so I get where you coming from. But South African Ndebele are not violent.

Zimbabwean Ndebele like to pretend they are Zulus when in SA to avoid persecution, that's why you find them similar.

IronGalaxy

3 Likes

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by selemempe: 12:49pm On Mar 27, 2021
hermesprogidy:

That's a very simplistic way of looking at things. China's new found success is not based entirely on embracing western culture. Like the Japanese, they only embraced western education, specifically science and technology, but left significant parts of their cultures intact. While I agree that not all aspects of our culture is beneficial and should be done away with, it is our blatant hypocrisy and inferiority complex that irks me. If it was a White man dressed in this attire that silly shop owner would have thrown out a red carpet.
they embraced 80% of western ideas. In fact the only part of their culture they kept was language and religion. Even those have been influenced by west. Below is a street in Tokyo. See many English signages? See how 'western' the people in the photo are dressed?

And for Japan, it was a deliberate strategy. Read about the Meji era. The emperor forced Japanese citizens to adopt western dressing deliberately. The westernization made Japan the sole non-white global power. Giving them the advantages to colonize China and Korea.

As for a white men getting red carpet treatment...who told you that? Maybe from an African...but his fellow white would have called the police on him

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by samwillyco1(m): 12:54pm On Mar 27, 2021
His own personal business
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by buymyride: 12:55pm On Mar 27, 2021
IronGalaxy:
The general behavior of Nigerians in South Africa also pisses the locals off too.

You also can't love a place and hate the people, it's not possible.
i don’t hate their people. I only detest their hostile behaviour. Though I’ve not experienced it first hand before. I totally agree with you that most Nigerians can be annoying some times, but that also doesn’t warrant that level of civil disobedience and anarchy from the locals. They will only end up destroying the legacies Mandela suffered to build all these decades cry
I miss their cool breezy weather and Kathlego Mogodi cry
Can’t wait to be back there in June

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by Reference(m): 12:56pm On Mar 27, 2021
IronGalaxy:
That's Zulu culture wear. If its not cultural enough for you that's your business.

Oga. The fabric maybe but the CUT is not. You maybe offended because of the effort you put in placing those images but the fashion is not original.

To suit your fragile ego I did admit that a slight modernisation to most cultural practices are always necessary for wider acceptance.

Nothing was worn under the traditional Scottish kilt but few except the naughty will do so today.

As the world coalesces cultures are bound to come under strain by a society that seeks to establish new values. For instance what may be acceptable in all society a thousand years ago will be construed to be public nudity today.

One will certainly not accept his kids in a mall with men and women displaying their privates if he hides his from his kids at home. That is the challenge amogst many that raw culture faces. The debate continues.

1 Like

Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by Midas01: 1:01pm On Mar 27, 2021
But the women never go the malls like that or encroach other public spaces where there aren't currently performing their traditional rights at...so why is this man seeking for notice going where he shouldn't with nothing but pant and now and arrow?
lexy2014:

It's d traditional wear of south Africans. There women still wear very revealing clothes and open breasts during their female initiation ceremonies
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by buymyride: 1:05pm On Mar 27, 2021
TMKsouth:

I love that you like SA, thank u! cool

Its true that the environment has become hostile to other Africans, especially Nigerians. I blame it on our immigration system for allowing criminals to come in. As a result most foreigners are viewed with suspicion. As a response, you guys also adopt an attitude against us so that worsens matters.

My advise to you is that you approach us with a good attitude and most of the time it will be reciprocated. If you don't, you're reinforcing the stereotype of an arrogant Nigerian, unfortunately.
we have criminal elements in every country. if you would be truthful, South Africans criminality surpasses that of any foreigner they have in their country. If you say they are criminals, why not leave that for the law enforcement agencies to tackle? Why take laws into your hands? How do you separate the law abiding ones from the criminal elements on your own? You will simply end up causing anarchy within the polity and the world would tag you an intolerant nation of savages and you know what that would do to tourism of the nation.
On a lighter note, do you know the name of that alcohol drink in a brown calabash that Chaka Chaka used in one of her music video back in the days? I plan on sourcing for it when next I visit.
I will search YouTube to see if I can see the music video

Modified:

This video, Umqombothi by Chaka Chaka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl-kqz8CWaU
Re: Man Ordered To Leave Mall In South Africa For Wearing 'Indecent' African Attire by illicit(m): 1:10pm On Mar 27, 2021
jesmond3945:
but the whiteman you worship dresses naked to shop, both men and women. Africa who do you this thing.

it's not cultural, it's just for convenience....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Khalil Haqqani: Wanted Al Qaeda Terrorist With $5m Bounty Reappears In Kabul / Obama's Home After White House / Trump Salutes Soldiers Who Rescued An American Kidnapped In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.