Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 - Politics (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 (57373 Views)

National Assembly Elections, Saturday 9th April, 2011 / Report Here On National Assembly Elections: 2nd April, 2011 / President Jonathan Predicts Stable Electricity By April 2011 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (42) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by muami(m): 7:53am On Apr 17, 2011
ziccoit:

Does anyone thinks of GEJ having 25% spread and Buhari having simple majority so leading both to a runoff? Unconfirmed report says 18states in the North are now under BB with a huge success to show for it.
Such a result would permanently remain unconfirmed. Is it possible for Buhari to have 18 out of 19 states in the North including the North Central states of Benue, Adamawa, Kogi, Plateau etc?
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by prodam(m): 7:55am On Apr 17, 2011
Jonathan, Buhari in tight race

Early results from some polling centres across the country showed President Goodluck Jonathan and Maj.-Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) in a tight race in the presidential election conducted by the Independent National Electoral Commission across Nigeria on Saturday.

While Jonathan of the Peoples Democratic Party is believed to be having the upper hand in the South-South, South-East and South-West, Buhari led in many wards in the North-East, North-West and North-Central.

But Buhari, who contested the poll under the umbrella of the Congress for Progressive Change, has already alleged foul play in the conduct of the exercise.

A confident President Goodluck Jonathan, after casting his ballot at Otazi Playground Polling Unit in Otuabula Ward 13, Otuoke Bayelsa State, promised to quit his position as president if he fails to win the election.

Malam Nuhu Ribadu of the Action Congress of Nigeria and Ibrahim Shekarau of the All Nigerian Peoples Party also assured that they would accept defeat if the election was devoid of malpractices.

Jonathan and Buhari performed excellently well in their wards, while Ribadu and Shekarau were floored in theirs.

For instance, out of the 480 people that were accredited in the Otubula, 413 voted for the President.

Ribadu and Buhari scored no votes. Eleven votes were voided, while the remaining 56 accredited voters left without voting because of the long queue at the centre.

The President had impressive showing in Lagos, Ogun, Rivers, Oyo, Plateau, Ekiti and Ondo states, where results from some polling centres indicated that he had the upper hand.

Almost all the results from the South-East had not been made public as at 9 pm on Saturday. But results from three wards in Abia State indicated that Jonathan won in two, while the CPC won in one.

In Sarkin Yara Ward, Buhari, a former Head of State, who on Thursday announced that Saturday’s election would be his last shot at the Presidency, scored 496 votes, while the PDP had no vote. The ANPP scored two and the ACN, two.

The CPC floored the PDP again in Vice-President Namadi Sambo’s polling booth in Kaduna State. It scored 435 votes, while the PDP had 208.

The PDP was said to have lost to the CPC in many polling booths in Kaduna, Katsina, Borno, Kogi, Abuja, Niger, Kano, and Gombe, where results were made public as 8 pm on Saturday.

Ribadu scored only 85 ballots in his ward in Yola town. The CPC had 260 votes, while the PDP had 64 votes.

Jonathan had while casting his vote promised to use himself as an example to teach sit-tight leaders in Africa that political power belonged to the people.

He said the result of the presidential poll would not cause political mayhem in Nigeria like in Ivory Coast, where Mr. Laurent Gbagbo refused to relinquish power after losing the November 2010 poll.

The President said that for democracy to be consolidated in Nigeria, politicians must learn to respect the power of the ballot.

He warned that democracy would be erected on a weak foundation if politicians attemptted to render the ballot paper useless.

Jonathan, however, said he was happy that the country’s democracy was being consolidated on the power of the ballot, observing that the ongoing elections had restored people’s confidence in the electoral process.

He recalled his involvement in elections conducted in 1999, 2003 and 2007 and concluded that Nigerians had shown more interest and commitment in the 2011 elections than they did in previous ones.

According to him, the massive turnout recorded on Saturday had further emphasised people’s belief in the credibility and transparency of the process.

Describing the conduct of the election as a new dawn in Nigeria, the President who was accompanied by a retinue of security officials said it was high time politicians realised that power belonged to the people.

He said as part of his insistence on a transparent process, he had refused to interfere with the operations of INEC.

Jonathan, who was accompanied by his wife, Patience and his mother, said he gave INEC freedom it required to give Nigerians their chosen leaders.

When asked his opinion about the possibility of a run-off, he prayed against such development.

Referring to the country’s large population and cost of organising another election, he prayed that the winner of the presidential election should emerge in the first ballot.

According to him, deciding the winner in the first ballot would reduce the tension in the country and minimise cost.

He said, “I’m indeed happy that we’re consolidating democracy. Democracy must be built on a solid foundation. Foundation of which democracy is built on is the power of the ballot paper. If the ballot paper means nothing, then there is no democracy. Nigeria is now experiencing true democracy where we the politicians have to go to the people because the power belongs to the people.

“The power does not belong to the politicians. It belongs to the people as expressed in ballot boxes. People have shown high degree of commitment so you can describe it as a new dawn in our political evolution.

“I promised I would contest the election as an incumbent president and I would not influence the electoral process. And that has been demonstrated in previous elections.

“I don’t know whether it will go into run-off. But I pray that we don’t go into such because of its implications. Nigeria is a very big country to conduct another round of election.

“If I lose. I will leave because that is what we are talking about.”

Buhari had before the results started trickling in alleged that thumb-printed ballot ballot papers were airlifted to different states in an attempt to compromise the presidential election.

He claimed that when one of the planes landed at the Katsina Airport, supporters of the CPC were chased away before the ‘consignment’ was off loaded.

“One of such planes came earlier this (Saturday) morning to Katsina airport, and our people were driven away from the airport before the consignment was off loaded and driven straight to the Government House,” he said.

The CPC presidential candidate however said he would not go to court to challenge the outcome of the election.

He stressed, however, that if he was taken to court, his party would rise to defend him.

In Kano, Shekarau said he would accept the outcome of the election so long as it was free, fair and credible.

Shekarau, while speaking with newsmen after casting his vote, advised that the winner and losers should take the result as it is.

“It is normal in any election where two or three people contested, a winner and a loser must emerge,” the Kano state governor said.

At Bako Ward in Yola-South Local Government Area of Adamawa State, Ribadu said he will concede victory to any winner if the process is adjudged to be free and fair.

The ACN candidate, who cast his ballot around 1.15pm, assured Nigerians that he would be the first contestant to congratulate the winner.

“I will be the first person to congratulate the winner. I will be ready to join forces with him to move the country forward,” he added.

The election which witnessed mass turn out of voters in most parts of the country was described by foreign observers as an improvement on the April 9 National Assembly election.

One of the observer groups, the National Democratic Institute, led by a former Canadian Prime Minister Joe Clark said, “Things seem to be quite orderly.”

what would he have done, mr. GEJ u've got no option other than to leave if u loose, so don't make any promise, it is a must.
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by kabasa77(m): 7:58am On Apr 17, 2011
In Imo state,the state commission dropped Polling assistants for yesterdays elections for no reason even though  PA's worked in other states and will be fully paid for that election.Who gets the monies of these guys,the state E.O perhaps?,
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by 10cirenoh: 8:06am On Apr 17, 2011
RUN OFF RUN OFF is in the kitten

Now, do we still need an alliance or its best needed now?
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by doja(m): 8:07am On Apr 17, 2011
Oyo State Final Result

PDP 59.4%

ACN 29.3%

CPC 10.9%
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by makzeze: 8:07am On Apr 17, 2011
Adolu LGA final results
PDP 5,321
ACN 31,249
CPC 380,963
invalid:1,007
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by Kenyy: 8:12am On Apr 17, 2011
kabasa77:

In Imo state,the state commission dropped Polling assistants for yesterdays elections for no reason even though  PA's worked in other states and will be fully paid for that election.Who gets the monies of these guys?

Ask GEJ, he appointed(directly and indirectly) all INEC Officials.
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by prodam(m): 8:14am On Apr 17, 2011
Kenyy:

Ask GEJ, he appointed(directly and indirectly) all INEC Officials.

right!!!!
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by Remii(m): 8:22am On Apr 17, 2011
dvd:

MR Jega, I'd suggest u increase Corper's Pay for this elections. They've done a wonderful job so far. They are in d Battle front facing the heat n u are paying just 7k per election and collating officers who just write results these soldiers(Corpers) conducted by stayin under the sun Mon-Eve get 25k HABA!!! This is UNFAIR, Some even without physical Security.In Agaie LGA,Niger State.No security for most Corpers!!!!

I agree with you, this set of corpers did so much more for the nation than most before them. Some of them displayed exemplary leadership skills in managing and controlling voters at the polling booths. They kinda show that, with right training and opportunity they are ready.
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by beninman1(m): 8:36am On Apr 17, 2011
What time is the official announcement of the results.

What would be the clear indicator of a winner or a run off election
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by finestars: 8:37am On Apr 17, 2011
Jigawa State

Dutse Municipal Council CPC 50,546 PDP 17,804 ANPP 396 ACN1082-
Hadejia CPC 37,339 PDP 1009 ANPP 401 263-
Gagarawa CPC 11,099 PDP 9248 ANPP 49 ACN263-
Garki CPC 22,712 PDP 21,584 ANPP 289 ACN657
Babura CPC 32,586 PDP 18,101 ANPP 784 ACN1,277
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by kabasa77(m): 8:38am On Apr 17, 2011
No mater what GEJ does for Norti,they will never accept him as their own.As long as he doesnt speak Sanu Sanu and doesnt face the east while praying,he will remain a Yamiri to them.They will readily back a theif from the North than an honest and human man from the south.To them each election is not about political parties or persons,its about tribe and religion.So tribalistic.

Which way Nigeria!, I wish you Goodluck
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by finestars: 8:42am On Apr 17, 2011
Kano Update
ACN 33,101; ANPP 413,692;CPC 1,213,232; PDP 348,130; 33/44 LGA
ACN 1.65%; ANPP 20.60%; CPC 60.42%; PDP 17.34%; 33/44 LGA
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by ziccoit: 8:47am On Apr 17, 2011
kabasa77:

No mater what GEJ does for Norti,they will never accept him as their own.As long as he doesnt speak Sanu Sanu and doesnt face the east while praying,he will remain a Yamiri to them.They will readily back a theif from the North than an honest and human man from the south.To them each election is not about political parties or persons,its about tribe and religion.So tribalistic.

Like the way OBJ (that don't speak sanu sanu, face East) beat Buhari in 2003. Just stop saying rubbish. You don't have any case, so case dismissed!
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by Ericology(m): 8:51am On Apr 17, 2011
kabasa77:

Shut up if u dont have anything to say, Did OBJ face the Kaaba while praying or did he say sanu sanu before they voted for him? If u must know, GEJ shot himself in the leg when he jettisoned zoning, Had Yar Adua not died, contested and won this yr, GEJ wld sweep the whole north in 2015 whether he prays in the Church or Okija shrine,
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by doja(m): 8:55am On Apr 17, 2011
Guys there is an interesting discussion about Nigeria on Aljazeera.
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by EvilBrain1(m): 8:56am On Apr 17, 2011
kabasa77:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there is only 1 confirmed thief running for president. And he's not from the north.

Keep your ethnic nonsense to yourself please.
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by hasyak(m): 8:56am On Apr 17, 2011
kabasa77:

i just dont understand you people always complaining the north is that tribalistic, ok, look at the results from the nass elections, which region voted base on the candidate? the s west always vote block for their party but nobody insults them, they are praised  for that. ss look at the voting pattern 100% gej but nobody calls them infidels here, but if the north decides to vote their own for any reason then they are call tribalistic, i remember abiola beating tofa in kano his state.

everybody is free to chose any candidate for one reason or the other please learn to respect people view, you dont have monopoly of knowledge, if you think your candidate is the best, some of us thinks he is not good enough!
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by sartorius(m): 8:56am On Apr 17, 2011
Zoning must be hurtin u erico,
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by favouredjb(f): 8:57am On Apr 17, 2011
peoeple voted en masse for jonathan in my area in lagos,up goodluck
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by Johnpaul2k2(m): 8:59am On Apr 17, 2011
Oyo state final vote
PDP 59.4%
ACN 29.3%
CPC 10.9%
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by Nobody: 9:01am On Apr 17, 2011
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by sartorius(m): 9:05am On Apr 17, 2011
Buhari my ass in shame if he wins,

The real work starts after the results
Am happy, with jega and inec am happy with the nigerian.I ve a feeling that gvt wudnt be business as usual now that votes count for most. It wud only get better
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by doja(m): 9:13am On Apr 17, 2011
OGUN STATE FINAL RESULTS

PDP 56.8

ACN 36.7

CPC 6.3
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by muami(m): 9:14am On Apr 17, 2011
finestars:

Kano Update
ACN 33,101; ANPP 413,692;CPC 1,213,232; PDP 348,130; 33/44 LGA
ACN 1.65%; ANPP 20.60%; CPC 60.42%; PDP 17.34%; 33/44 LGA

I like the role Shekarau is playing for PDP in Kano. Kano has 6 million out of the 18 million votes in the NW and is the highest voting population in the North. So if Shekarau takes 20% and GEJ takes something close, It would be a big dent to Buhari hopes of having majority votes especially with the SW going GEJ's way and CPC doing so poorly there.
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by muami(m): 9:20am On Apr 17, 2011
Sokoto State Result
ACN 20,144
CPC 540,769
PDP 309,057
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by franktolk(m): 9:22am On Apr 17, 2011
@ Kabassa

I dont really understand your analysis of tribalism here. To me the greatest form of tribalism was exemplified by Nigerians who saw the truth,grace,uprightness,honesty and statemanship in BB and neglected it for mediocrity,lack of vision,betrayal of agreement,corrupt practices, and LUCK. Nigerians are like slaves tied with golden chains,but offered freedom but chose to remain in chains just because its golden.

I am a YORUBA MAN and a God fearing Xtian ! and I have chosen the path of truth, I 've chosen not to be tribalistic in my view.God help us. And for ur information Buhari was not the one that took Nigeria to Organisation of Islamic countries (OIC), it was Babangida and to garnish it; a xtian in the person of Obasanjo once attenDed one of OIC's meetings.
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by muami(m): 9:23am On Apr 17, 2011
Lagos State

ACN 427,203,

CPC 189,983,

PDP 1,281,688.

Hmm. This would seem to nullify Buhari's gain in Kano.
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by enyojo(f): 9:27am On Apr 17, 2011
muami:

I like the role Shekarau is playing for PDP in Kano. Kano has 6 million out of the 18 million votes in the NW and is the highest voting population in the North. So if Shekarau takes 20% and GEJ takes something close, It would be a big dent to Buhari hopes of having majority votes especially with the SW going GEJ's way and CPC doing so poorly there.

[size=17pt]Your name should be [i]MUMU[/i]AMI. I thought you claimed to be a First-class candidate all your life. Where then did this mumu post come from? Your brain?[/size]
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by prodam(m): 9:29am On Apr 17, 2011
this issue of tribalism, religion, ethnicity is inevitable. the main thing is to have a credible leader,
as a matter of fact, all the candidates have their own ideas and their benefit over each other,
lets pray the winner takes Nigeria 1million steps away from where we are, lets move Nigeria forward
advocate for change and lets go back to the basis
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by ziccoit: 9:30am On Apr 17, 2011
muami:

Continuing dreaming, you forgot the law of relativity. PDP's votes in OYO+OSUN+ONDO+EKITI+OGUN would fall around 1.5million. If he gets 2million from LAGOS that means GEJ/PDP will have to manage 3.5-5million votes from SW. Add this to 10-12million from SE+SS courtesy of heavy electoral frauds. This gives GEJ/PDP 13.5-17millon from the whole SOUTH.

OYO state with 2.5million registered voters was only able to deliver 580 thousand or thereabout for PDP. Here in SW there was general apathy towards the presidential election yesterday. People didn't come out compare to SS,SE and North.

In summary I see a runoff coming.
Re: Presidential Election, 16th April, 2011 by muami(m): 9:31am On Apr 17, 2011
@ enyojo.
You dont need to resort to insults if you disagree with my posts. My comments are based on results announced by INEC and confirmed from party sources including the CPC( see eg. Buhari4change page on facebook).
If you have a contrary result announced by INEC, I would be glad to have them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) ... (42) (Reply)

Impeachment: Rauf Olaniyan Outsmarts Governor Makinde - The Nation / Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Meets With Giant Basketball Legend, Mutombo (Photos) / Buhari Blames Middlemen: 1984 And 2020 (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.