Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,073 members, 7,818,206 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:18 AM

Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? (26298 Views)

Is Marrying A Non Christian Really Against Christiandom? / 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol / Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by wealthpreach(m): 1:25pm On Mar 28, 2021
Judolisco:
Proverbs 20:1 - Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
If u need more I can help u out sir Mr purger
why did Jesus turn water into wine?

King James Bible
And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now. John 2:10. Do some studies and see what wine was drunk during that time.

Proverbs are words of wisdom, decrying what happens when the drink takes hold of you. Not an instructions not to drink wine.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Kebbiprince: 1:29pm On Mar 28, 2021
Judolisco:
and what u call alcohol is fermented fruit juice... Arbi u don't know fermentation again?
Atleast u got the message.

Bye
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Tonnierichy(m): 1:38pm On Mar 28, 2021
Juliusmalema:
God is not against drinking alcohol..

Infact God supports the intake of alcohol even in his Church ( In his presence)

Deutronomy 14 verses 23 - 26

23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always

24 But if the journey is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, or if the place where the LORD your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, when the LORD your God has blessed you,

25 then you shall exchange it for money, take the money in your hand, and go to the place which the LORD your God chooses

26 : And you shall spend that money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen or sheep, for wine or strong drink, for whatever your heart desires; you shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

Even God went further to give approval to Alcohol

Ecclesiastes 9:7  “Go, eat your bread with joy, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do.”
Jesus Christ even turn water to wine. Juice dey there e nor turn am to juice cheesy
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by TGM2015: 1:38pm On Mar 28, 2021
Ctorch:
Is God really against taking Alcohol or Just against excess of It.

Galatians 5:19–21: "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: ... drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God ." Ephesians 5:18: "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to Immoral behavior.

The bible was particular about it drunkeness and not against alcohol.

Further

1. The Bible allows Christians to drink alcohol for medical reasons.
Paul told Timothy, "Stop drinking only water and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illness." (1 Timothy 5:23 )

The Bible forbids drinking if it hinders the gospel.
Paul explained in 1 Corinthians 9 that even though he was allowed to eat and drink anything he wanted, he was very careful not to do things that would hinder the gospel of Christ. He said, "Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many a possible.

Proverbs 31:4-5

4 It is not for kings, Lemuel— it is not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer, 5 lest they drink and forget what has been decreed, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights.

What do you think God was reallly emphasizing on?

God is not against anyone taking alcohol but He is against taking of alcohol by individual, group of people, tribe, ethnics, state and country that He has chosen or they willingly choose to dedicated their lives to Him and His services.

In all tribe of Israel Levites were not allowed or were commanded by God never to take strong (alcoholic) drink. Even before the conception of Samson his mother was forbidden to take alcohol until she delivered because the child will be dedicated to God.

The real question is should a Christian or someone who claimed to be a Christian takes alcohol?

Christians were described as royal priesthood, those who has been called out of darkness unto His marvellous light. They are people who have choice to give (dedicate) their life to God through Jesus their Lord and Saviour.

From the definition, it is glaring that a Christian is directly forbidden by God to take alcohol.

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by horlarlorwor(m): 1:40pm On Mar 28, 2021
orunto27:
God is against excess of everything.

Excess preaching can lead to rubbish talk.

If you know you know
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by franklingud(m): 1:41pm On Mar 28, 2021
It's simple.

Don't drink too much alcohol and get drunk!

Drink a little to cheer your heart.

Am a born again too but once in a while I take little alcohol.

2 bottles of life is enough for me.

It has medical indications.

I rest my case.

Remain blessed!
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by linearity: 1:58pm On Mar 28, 2021
Electrochemistry:
While moderation may not be a sin as it even reduces inhibitions at low rate(medically), a lot of people have been turned to drunks and rendered useless from starting with just some sips of it. At this high consumption rate it can cause cancer to our vital internal organs: liver, kidney, gullet and stomach. Therefore it's better to avoid spirits in all its forms so we won't get addicted to it. The Bible says a wise man foresees evil and hides himself but a fool goes instead and he's punished. Prov. 22:3

Too much of anything.....just name it, is bad and causes health problem.

Taking too much water causes water intoxication also known as hyponatremia which can lead to health problems like seizures, coma and even death, I guess it’s better to avoid water.

Taking too much food leads to Heath complications, overweight, obesity, increased risk of cancer and addiction to food, I guess it’s better to avoid food.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Myer(m): 1:59pm On Mar 28, 2021
CodeTemplar:
In a book filled with analogies meant to communicate the intangible to us, wine is used often to represent the Spirit. New wine in new bottle analogy for example told us about the Holy Spirit in a renewed or born again man.

Analogy, we agree.
But did he turn water to wine or not?
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by nyiamfrank: 2:00pm On Mar 28, 2021
They didn't ask me to declare that I am a Christian before I comment?
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Godszilla: 2:14pm On Mar 28, 2021
God created everything and it was good by Him that's what the bible said. Nothin exist outside him. So God is not against His own creation but the abuse (excess) is what is wrong.

Eatin is not a sins but excess gluttony is a sins. Nothing wrong with reasonable limit not a sin

Ctorch:
Is God really against taking Alcohol or Just against excess of It.

Galatians 5:19–21: "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: ... drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God ." Ephesians 5:18: "Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to Immoral behavior.

The bible was particular about it drunkeness and not against alcohol.

Further

1. The Bible allows Christians to drink alcohol for medical reasons.
Paul told Timothy, "Stop drinking only water and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illness." (1 Timothy 5:23 )

The Bible forbids drinking if it hinders the gospel.
Paul explained in 1 Corinthians 9 that even though he was allowed to eat and drink anything he wanted, he was very careful not to do things that would hinder the gospel of Christ. He said, "Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many a possible.

Proverbs 31:4-5

4 It is not for kings, Lemuel— it is not for kings to drink wine, not for rulers to crave beer, 5 lest they drink and forget what has been decreed, and deprive all the oppressed of their rights.

What do you think God was reallly emphasizing on?
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Electrochemistry(m): 2:14pm On Mar 28, 2021
linearity:

Too much of anything.....just name it, is bad and causes health problem.

Taking too much water causes water intoxication also known as hyponatremia which can lead to health problems like seizures, coma and even death, I guess it’s better to avoid water.

Taking too much food leads to Heath complications, overweight, obesity, increased risk of cancer and addiction to food, I guess it’s better to avoid food.
. Too much of everything is bad
O yes! but alcohol is of a special class. It can easily seperate a wife from her husband but this may not have been the case if excess water or food intake had been the issue.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Judolisco(m): 2:19pm On Mar 28, 2021
wealthpreach:
why did Jesus turn water into wine?

King James Bible
And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now. John 2:10. Do some studies and see what wine was drunk during that time.

Proverbs are words of wisdom, decrying what happens when the drink takes hold of you. Not an instructions not to drink wine.
Rom 1:24-25 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things, rather than the Creator—who is forever praised.(I think u are at dis stage so nothing I'll say will change your opinion)
1 Corinthians 6 vs 9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived:Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers, nor men who have sex with men, nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindler will inherit the kingdom of God.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by nsiazu: 2:36pm On Mar 28, 2021
Juliusmalema:
God is not against drinking alcohol..

23 And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always

24 But if the journey is too long for you, so that you are not able to carry the tithe, or if the place where the LORD your God chooses to put His name is too far from you, when the LORD your God has blessed you,

25 then you shall exchange it for money, take the money in your hand, and go to the place which the LORD your God chooses

26 : And you shall spend that money for whatever your heart desires: for oxen or sheep, for wine or strong drink, for whatever your heart desires; you shall eat there in the presence of the LORD your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household.

Ecclesiastes 9:7  “Go, eat your bread with joy, and drink your wine with a merry heart, for God has already approved what you do.”
This was Moses words and not God speaking directly to His people. God has never or will never advice His own to take an alcohol.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Nicerazor(m): 2:49pm On Mar 28, 2021
Wine is a mocker, strong drink is a brawler. Whoever is led astray by it is not wise. Proverb 20 vs 1.

Wine is a mocker.” After the Flood, righteous Noah planted a vineyard and got drunk, lying naked in his tent, out cold, the target of mockery. After escaping from Sodom, Lot’s daughters got him drunk, so that they could use him to get themselves pregnant. Wise Abigail’s foolish husband, Nabal, died after a festive bout of drunkenness.

Solomon elsewhere mocks the folly that follows letting wine take over your life.

“Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has strife? Who has complaining? Who has wounds without cause? Who has redness of eyes? Those who tarry long over wine; those who go to try mixed wine! Do not look at wine when it is red (i.e., undiluted with water), when it sparkles in the cup and goes down smoothly. In the end it bites like a serpent and stings like an adder. Your eyes will see strange things, and your heart utter perverse things. You will be like one who lies down in the midst of the sea, like one who lies on the top of a mast. ‘They struck me,” you will say, “but I was not hurt; they beat me, but I did not feel it. When shall I awake? I must have another drink.’ (Proverbs 23:29-35).”

It is important as a man to know your limit, for instance I don’t usually drink outside with friends and that’s why I have a bar in my living room and despite that I still stay to my limit. Too much of everything is bad and that’s why proverbs 20 vs 1 said “ WHOEVER IS LED ASTRAY BY IT IS NOT WISE”
Drink responsibly

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Zoe99(f): 2:54pm On Mar 28, 2021
There's no where in the Bible that it is clearly written that drinking is a sin.I don't drink alcohol though.Let God be the judge of it.Let's hope that those in favour of drinking won't be in the wrong though cos it'll be too late at the judgement seat.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Grandmeister(m): 2:56pm On Mar 28, 2021
NetValueFX:
There is nothing wrong with alcohol but then there is also everything wrong with alcohol.
If alcohol was OK, mother of Samsom, John the baptist and Jesus would not be asked not to take it
Christ took wine. Wine in the olden days (and still today) was made by pressing out grape juice and leaving it to ferment. That’s basically how wine is made! Just like how you leave palm wine to ferment after tapping it from the tree. A fermented palm wine has alcohol. So God that made the palm wine made a mistake? You people keep on mocking the creations of God in your over zealousness!
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by thinkmoney(m): 3:26pm On Mar 28, 2021
Hashabiah:
God's emphasis is on moderation. But those who want to truly commit themselves to knowing God will avoid any manner of drink. Just the way the sons Jonadab the son of Rechab, commanded his children not to drink wine (Jeremiah 35:6)
What the story of the son of rechab emphasized on is obedience even if its inconvenient or not popular.
Jesus served God to the fullest more than anybody has or can and still he takes wine -atleast occasionally as recorded.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Ellasure: 3:27pm On Mar 28, 2021
Please use your brains and discreetion. Our Lord God is able to do all things.

Besides, He is God to all sinners. Learn to stumble, rise and rise again.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by thinkmoney(m): 3:29pm On Mar 28, 2021
lucky999:
the best answer to this question is, God gave every single human being conscience whatever your spirit don't accept, don't do it.

if I may ask you how do you feel after taking alcohol, do you feel messed up or happy.

alcohol doesn't make you happy it just makes you to forget your sense and misbehave.

Human conscience is very imperfect. The word guides our conscience.thecword asks us to sacrifice. The word associated wine with enjoyment. The word allows us to drink it in moderation. The word however expects us to sacrifice the enjoyment, if on rare cases, consumption of wine at any level starts affecting us
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Mar 28, 2021
sckulboy:

is dis a Muslim page? and you will fell bad when they say rubbish of your religion
animal u're not the first person to speak rubbish about my religion so i wont stop u from racist against my own faith cos thinking faculty is not rational
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Proftowin: 4:03pm On Mar 28, 2021
Ogogoro no be wine ooo
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Josbreed: 4:11pm On Mar 28, 2021
ictjobber:

Why aren't we asking real questions like Why hasn't God rescued Leah from Boko Haram's den despite all the prayers from concerned Nigerians and Christains worldwide ??

At his own time, it shall come to pass. Remember Moses vs Pharoah? How Pharaoh was stubborn to release the Israelites? Just wait for the right time.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Josbreed: 4:14pm On Mar 28, 2021
inumidun2010:
The truth is nobody preached to me about alcohol because Scientifically it is foolishness to think every fruit is non-alcoholic, Almost every fruit can undergo FERMENTATION including your Rice, barley, Wheat etc.. I just noticed I mess up when I drink alcohol(9 yrs ago) even when I take as little as a Cup... So I let go of it ... Alcohol is neither good nor bad.. When Apostle Paul wrote to Timothy to take small alcohol because of his health, the letter was PERSONAL and not a general letter he writes to the church... The message he was trying to pass across is that , CONSUMPTION of Alcohol is not NOBLE even though he needed it for his health.. The question is Why are you taking ALCOHOL.. Lemme have a REASON

So since the message was not to the Church, so the Church should not adopt or follow any message there abi?
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by wealthpreach(m): 4:30pm On Mar 28, 2021
Judolisco:
Rom 1:24-25 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served created things, rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. (I think u are at dis stage so nothing I'll say will change your opinion)
1 Corinthians 6 vs 9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers, nor men who have sex with men, nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindler will inherit the kingdom of God.
I didn't see do not drink. You're stabbing yourself. The Bible is focused on something, you're focusing on something else.

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by terabyte002: 5:21pm On Mar 28, 2021
CAN YOU REPLACE GOD IN THESE INSTANCES WITH JESUS......Just the words , I want to know if Nigeria Christians are just mad about the name Jesus and Not God cuz am sure many of your fellow Christians will criticize if you assume Jesus as the God preaching Shayo n ogogoro

[/quote]
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by favour32(m): 5:29pm On Mar 28, 2021
It's clearly stated, God permits the intake of alcohol.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by brio1408: 5:31pm On Mar 28, 2021
jcross19:
but Paul advised Timothy to takes small of it? Do you really know that all the starchy food you eat used to end up as -coh and glucose but in very low content... Alcohol is not a sin but it become snare to you when it starts to influence your reason.
God bless you for this. Majority don't even consider the end products of whatever they consumer. Just because you heard Alcohol is bad and u see it as bad what about Paracetamol and other -ol products.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by jcross19: 5:49pm On Mar 28, 2021
brio1408:

God bless you for this. Majority don't even consider the end products of whatever they consumer. Just because you heard Alcohol is bad and u see it as bad what about Paracetamol and other -ol products.
that's religion for you

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by bilulu(m): 6:00pm On Mar 28, 2021
tuna85:
God is definitely against drinking alcohol whether in small or large quantity. Those who got addicted today started small, now you can see a decline in their health and all, same as bet9ja.
he just gave you Bible verses yet you still said God is against it. If God is against it, why did Jesus turn water to wine? before you answer that, please check the meaning of wine.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Bullrun: 6:16pm On Mar 28, 2021
Children of slave masters grin
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by joshmee4real(m): 6:19pm On Mar 28, 2021
I have jz 2 questions.
1. You walk into a bar to get some alcohol, and you meet your Pastor there, nd he tells you, he's jz taking two/three bottles and not to get drunk. How will u feel about him?
2. Despite the wide range of consumption of alcohol in the Society,
Have you seen a church that uses alcohol (No matter how little) as Holy Communion?.
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ifeoma Vivian Emeka: Born Again Burns Her Hair Extensions, "They Are Demonic" / Aggressive, Violent, Cool, Calm, Which Is The Best Way To Pray As A Christian? / APC Will Take Over Bayelsa State In 2016, Except… – Primate Ayodele

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.