Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,599 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:34 PM

Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? (26302 Views)

Is Marrying A Non Christian Really Against Christiandom? / 7 Reasons Why Christians Should Stop Taking Alcohol / Is Taking Alcohol Responsibly A Sin ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Krismas(m): 6:29pm On Mar 28, 2021
joshmee4real:
I have jz 2 questions.
1. You walk into a bar to get some alcohol, and you meet your Pastor there, nd he tells you, he's jz taking two/three bottles and not to get drunk. How will u feel about him?
2. Despite the wide range of consumption of alcohol in the Society,
Have you seen a church that uses alcohol (No matter how little) as Holy Communion?.
Thanks
cool Yes. There is South-African Church that uses Alcohol in large quantity in their services. Did u know that Alcohol was poured as offering to God daily on the alter in the Jerusalem temple? Nothing abominable was ever allowed on that alter. Alcohol is not sinful, Holy-Holy peeps only make it so.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by joshmee4real(m): 6:32pm On Mar 28, 2021
Krismas:
cool Yes. There is South-African Church that uses Alcohol in large quantity in their services. Did u know that Alcohol was poured as offering to God daily on the alter in the Jerusalem temple? Nothing abominable was ever allowed on that alter. Alcohol is not sinful, Holy-Holy peeps only make it so.
OK.Thanks.
The first question pls
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by inumidun2010(m): 6:44pm On Mar 28, 2021
Josbreed:

So since the message was not to the Church, so the Church should not adopt or follow any message there abi?

Every instruction in the 1st and 2nd book of Timothy are very consequential. And I never said the message in the book was not for the church... What I said that if the letter was to the General Assembly, Apostle Paul wouldn't have spoken about alcohol since Nazirite are not allowed to take Alcohol and there are definitely some Nazirite in the church that time...
It's a Privilege for Christians today to have The book of Titus, Timothy and Philemon since those letters are Personal letters and not for the General Assembly... And please Dont digress from the Original issue..The subject of discussion here is ALCOHOL and not instruction for worship
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Heathen777(m): 7:19pm On Mar 28, 2021
Depends on which god you are talking about. Every religion has its made-up laws on what god permits and forbids.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by LoveJesus87(m): 7:39pm On Mar 28, 2021
Built2last:
Excess of it. Paul told Timothy to take a little wine to cleanse stomach when he was sick

There are sicknesses or stomach issues you will have today doctors will recommend you take half cup of wine on empty stomach once in a while
what kind of wine pls
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Cousin9999: 8:15pm On Mar 28, 2021
https://bible.org/article/bible-and-alcohol
The general contours of biblical teaching are that wine is a blessing from the Lord, something to be enjoyed. But like any good gift from God, it can be abused: in this case, abuse involves addiction and drunkenness. But whenever we condemn others who are able to enjoy God’s good gifts in moderation as though they were abusers, we misrepresent biblical Christianity.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Rushna27(f): 8:18pm On Mar 28, 2021
dis is one part I really don't understand cos d Bible even says not wot goeth to d tommy of a man dat makes him a sinner but wot cometh out of his mouth... to me the Bible can't be decoded all at once dats y u get different interpretations according to how u perceive and receive d scripture... but all in all I will say u do wot ur conscience will not judge u abt and do all things in moderation not in excess...... Shalom

2 Likes

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by LucemFerre: 8:55pm On Mar 28, 2021
Dude, if you wan drink beer, drink beer. Don’t justify sh!t and you don’t owe anybody any explanation. No disturb us...
Next please

1 Like

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by DonMekino(m): 10:29pm On Mar 28, 2021
The Son of Man, on the other hand, feasts and drinks, and you say, ‘He’s a glutton and a drunkard, and a friend of tax collectors and other sinners!’ But wisdom is shown to be right by its results Matt 11:19

Probably Jesus Christ himself ate and drank too
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Spectaclesawe25: 10:36pm On Mar 28, 2021
Electrochemistry:
While moderation may not be a sin as it even reduces inhibitions at low rate(medically), a lot of people have been turned to drunks and rendered useless from starting with just some sips of it. At this high consumption rate it can cause cancer to our vital internal organs: liver, kidney, gullet and stomach. Therefore it's better to avoid spirits in all its forms so we won't get addicted to it. The Bible says a wise man foresees evil and hides himself but a fool goes instead and he's punished. Prov. 22:3

So you get gullet abi?
Nawaooo Electrochemistry indeed. U need review ur modern biology again.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Krismas(m): 11:29pm On Mar 28, 2021
cares22:

Is there anything worth debating over consumption of alcohol If you are charged with DUI in Australia, Canada, USA, UK or any part Europe you know risk a jail term or loss of your driver's license..... So if constitution of countries on earth could frown at the act how much more God almighty....

After you might have confirmed God's stand on alcohol and you feel it is favourable to your disposition, then you sired your conscience with hot iron and dive into wantonness head first

Little wonder the choice of your moniker. Illicit

Lastly, You are not incharge of my opinion on public forum like this, please be guided.
cool For ur mind now u be scholar abi? DUI test is for intoxication, not drinking. By the time alcohol registers on ur breath then u are drunk. This is what they charge u for, DRUNK DRIVING. Not drinking

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by ofiko123(m): 1:18am On Mar 29, 2021
JAMB QUESTION
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by cares22: 3:49am On Mar 29, 2021
Krismas:
cool For ur mind now u be scholar abi? DUI test is for intoxication, not drinking. By the time alcohol registers on ur breath then u are drunk. This is what they charge u for, DRUNK DRIVING. Not drinking

Why confusing and contradicting yourself at the same time? Can you be drunk without drinking Btw, what exactly are you trying to proof with your mention?

DUI simply means; Driving Under Influence of (any) substances which are capable of interfering with your sense of judgement on the road which may consequently lead fatalities..... DUI It is not about alcohol intoxication alone.

My point is, it is hypocritical of anyone to be seeking for a week point in the word of God to justify his craving for alcoholism... The truth is, once you are an adult, it is your choice to drink or not to drink hence no need for making God an accomplice....

I come in peace and in truth. Shalom!
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by guru333(f): 6:10am On Mar 29, 2021
Who else has read da vin ci code
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by tweakdude1: 6:25am On Mar 29, 2021
OP.

Alcohol is not good period because it's also called spirit.

Wine is different from alcoholic drinks.

Question to all alcoholic drinkers - How comes you can't stop drinking alcohol after many years?

The reason you can't is because you all are dealing with a spirit which humanly speaking your own will is not enough to conquer.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Electrochemistry(m): 7:42am On Mar 29, 2021
Spectaclesawe25:

So you get gullet abi?
Nawaooo Electrochemistry indeed. U need review ur modern biology again.
Gullet and Stomach taken together. Don't be inclined to argument; it doesn't pay!
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Spectaclesawe25: 9:12am On Mar 29, 2021
Electrochemistry:
Gullet and Stomach taken together. Don't be inclined to argument; it doesn't pay!

Either taken together or separately, don't be negative to correction... Nothing like gullet in humans, stomach and duodenum sounds more intelligent.
Drop it pls!
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Electrochemistry(m): 9:47am On Mar 29, 2021
Spectaclesawe25:

Either taken together or separately, don't be negative to correction... Nothing like gullet in humans, stomach and duodenum sounds more intelligent.
Drop it pls!
Gullet is the same thing as oesophagus; throat where peristaltic contractions that lead food to the stomach take place.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Krismas(m): 10:30pm On Mar 29, 2021
cares22:

Why confusing and contradicting yourself at the same time? Can you be drunk without drinking Btw, what exactly are you trying to proof with your mention?

DUI simply means; Driving Under Influence of (any) substances which are capable of interfering with your sense of judgement on the road which may consequently lead fatalities..... DUI It is not about alcohol intoxication alone.

My point is, it is hypocritical of anyone to be seeking for a week point in the word of God to justify his craving for alcoholism... The truth is, once you are an adult, it is your choice to drink or not to drink hence no need for making God an accomplice....

I come in peace and in truth. Shalom!
cool Dear sir u are truthfully mistaking. 1. Drinking is different from drunkenness. One can drink too much water, Which is called DROWNING, an event separate from DRINKING water to quench taste. 2. DUI test does not seek to prevent DRINKING altogether, but DRINKING BEYOND A DEFINED THRESHOLD. i suggest u read more about it. 3. Issue is, there is no Bible verse that condemn drinking alcohol, in spite of mainline Christian believe on the matter! Rather the Bible supports it. Jesus drank VINEGAR on the cross. Its ALCOHOLIC drink from fermented milk. Also, In the book of Leviticus the recommended quantity of strong drink to be offered to God on the alter in Jerusalem is stated. And priest live off the remainders of all offerings. What u can offer God, u can eat! If u want, let us go thru the Bible together carefully on alcohol matter. Thanks
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by cares22: 7:11am On Mar 30, 2021
Krismas:
cool Dear sir u are truthfully mistaking. 1. Drinking is different from drunkenness. One can drink too much water, Which is called DROWNING, an event separate from DRINKING water to quench taste. 2. DUI test does not seek to prevent DRINKING altogether, but DRINKING BEYOND A DEFINED THRESHOLD. i suggest u read more about it. 3. Issue is, there is no Bible verse that condemn drinking alcohol, in spite of mainline Christian believe on the matter! Rather the Bible supports it. Jesus drank VINEGAR on the cross. Its ALCOHOLIC drink from fermented milk. Also, In the book of Leviticus the recommended quantity of strong drink to be offered to God on the alter in Jerusalem is stated. And priest live off the remainders of all offerings. What u can offer God, u can eat! If u want, let us go thru the Bible together carefully on alcohol matter. Thanks

I know you deliberately pretend as if you do not understand my point but you want to force your opinion on me to agree with you that God, through some portions of the Bible legalises consumption of alcohol for all and sundry and that, priest of the old also used alcohol in service unto the Lord and live with the rest...... By so doing, it will not be a sin for us Christians now adays to also use strong drink... and blah!.... blah!!..... blah!!!

I was at no point in contention with your comfortable ground and your inverted godly certificate for alcoholism.... My own point is, you do not need to go through that stress of obtaining heavenly certificate before you can buy and drink yourself to stupor once you are of age.

It is a thing of choice! I do not need to follow you to anywhere in the Bible because, I never lost touch with Hebrews 6:1 neither do I forget my Titus 2:11-12 and that it is wrong for me as a believer to use the liberty I gained through redemption as a license unto unrighteousness.

If I want to drink alcohol, I will never back it up with the word of God because, it is wrong to do so!

If wisdom did not teach us Proverbs 20:1then, we are out of all men most miserable!
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Krismas(m): 3:47pm On Mar 30, 2021
cares22:

I know you deliberately pretend as if you do not understand my point but you want to force your opinion on me to agree with you that God, through some portions of the Bible legalises consumption of alcohol for all and sundry and that, priest of the old also used alcohol in service unto the Lord and live with the rest...... By so doing, it will not be a sin for us Christians now adays to also use strong drink... and blah!.... blah!!..... blah!!!

I was at no point in contention with your comfortable ground and your inverted godly certificate for alcoholism.... My own point is, you do not need to go through that stress of obtaining heavenly certificate before you can buy and drink yourself to stupor once you are of age.

It is a thing of choice! I do not need to follow you to anywhere in the Bible because, I never lost touch with Hebrews 6:1 neither do I forget my Titus 2:11-12 and that it is wrong for me as a believer to use the liberty I gained through redemption as a license unto unrighteousness.

If I want to drink alcohol, I will never back it up with the word of God because, it is wrong to do so!

If wisdom did not teach us Proverbs 20:1then, we are out of all men most miserable!
cool Your POINT is out of point. The title of the thread says IS GOD REALLY AGAINST TAKING ALCOHOL OR JUST AGAINST EXCESS OF IT?. If u want to change the topic, u may as well start your own fresh thread or so. Cos i do not understand what Heb 6:1 or Titus 2:11-12 has to do with the topic. For Provs 20:1 Good News Translation renders it as: DRINKING TOO MUCH MAKES YOU LOUD AND FOOLISH. IT'S STUPID TO GET DRUNK. Central idea is that, Wine and Strong drink are intoxicants, he who indulges them in excess is foolish. Once more DRUNKENNESS is the issue here,not drinking.
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Krismas(m): 12:25am On Apr 05, 2021
TGM2015:

God is not against anyone taking alcohol but He is against taking of alcohol by individual, group of people, tribe, ethnics, state and country that He has chosen or they willingly choose to dedicated their lives to Him and His services.

In all tribe of Israel Levites were not allowed or were commanded by God never to take strong (alcoholic) drink. Even before the conception of Samson his mother was forbidden to take alcohol until she delivered because the child will be dedicated to God.

The real question is should a Christian or someone who claimed to be a Christian takes alcohol?

Christians were described as royal priesthood, those who has been called out of darkness unto His marvellous light. They are people who have choice to give (dedicate) their life to God through Jesus their Lord and Saviour.

From the definition, it is glaring that a Christian is directly forbidden by God to take alcohol.
cool U are very wrong sir. Priests were only instructed not to drink BEFORE MINISTRATION because of Aaron's sons who under the influence of alcohol offered strange fire, and suffered fatalities as result. Priests drink freely when they are not conducting service. No rule said Levites should not drink. Infact DRUNKENNESS has no PUNISHMENT OR CONSEQUENCES under the law. Nazarenes under vow, also do not cut or shave or comb their hair, till the vow elapses or is cutting the hair a sin as well? in Numbers 28:7 the Bible tells us 1/4 Hin of OGOGORO was offered to God both morning and evening in the Jerusalem temple. Thats about 1.5 Litres of Ogogoro. So, in a day God is to be given 3.0 Litres of Ogogoro, poured on His Alter, a sacrifice pleasing to God. I dont know where u people got the lie that drinking alcohol is sin?
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by Krismas(m): 1:01am On Apr 05, 2021
olaodun:
On the Issue of Alcohol. the Bible forbids it totally for Xtians . Book of Proverbs has many chapters condemning and the Bible made us to know that our body is the temple of Holy Ghost, Also show me a man that takes drinks in moderation he cannot be a devoted Xtian he will just be a nominal xtan and alcohol has other twin sisters such as fornication, adultery and smoking It is very safe and good to totally avoid it , has no benefit and it kills cells in the system. Not food or water now dont waste money on alcohol
cool Yet Jesus drank Vinegar John 19 :29-30?
Re: Is God Really Against Taking Alcohol Or Just Against Excess Of It? by TGM2015: 3:08am On Apr 05, 2021
Krismas:
cool U are very wrong sir. Priests were only instructed not to drink BEFORE MINISTRATION because of Aaron's sons who under the influence of alcohol offered strange fire, and suffered fatalities as result. Priests drink freely when they are not conducting service. No rule said Levites should not drink. Infact DRUNKENNESS has no PUNISHMENT OR CONSEQUENCES under the law. Nazarenes under vow, also do not cut or shave or comb their hair, till the vow elapses or is cutting the hair a sin as well? in Numbers 28:7 the Bible tells us 1/4 Hin of OGOGORO was offered to God both morning and evening in the Jerusalem temple. Thats about 1.5 Litres of Ogogoro. So, in a day God is to be given 3.0 Litres of Ogogoro, poured on His Alter, a sacrifice pleasing to God. I dont know where u people got the lie that drinking alcohol is sin?
Seen.

But when you get back your senses from your alcohol, go back, read the post you quoted again, and pinpoint where it is stated or insinuated that drinking alcohol is a sin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ifeoma Vivian Emeka: Born Again Burns Her Hair Extensions, "They Are Demonic" / APC Will Take Over Bayelsa State In 2016, Except… – Primate Ayodele / Aggressive, Violent, Cool, Calm, Which Is The Best Way To Pray As A Christian?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.