Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,938 members, 7,817,747 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins (23781 Views)

Why Onitsha Is Not An Igboland, It Belongs To Benins / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship / Benins Were The First Educated Nigerians. Dr Okafor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by Stoplying: 3:47pm On Aug 06, 2021
samuk:

The bigotry from some of these people is unbelievable. They first argued that Benin didn't have the means to be in Lagos as early as 1603 let alone the 1500s, some even argued that Benin would have had to travel through territories controlled by Ijebus, which according to them would have been impossible.

Toda they conceded that Benin was already well established in Lagos in 1500s, but that Benin literally beg the aboriginal inhabitants for a piece of land to settle in.

Benin that was already building fortified military fortresses with residents soldiers, and walled garrisons that can only be breached and penetrated with help of European made canons as early as the 1500s, will be begging for land? From whom?

At this period in Benin history, the 1500s, the Benin literally believe that the Oba of Benin owns all lands and all body of water that are accessible to the Benin people. This is why when Benin move into any land of interest, they lord it over and any traditional ruler that protest are beheaded and replaced.

Benin history is too well established to be affected by side notes, subjective opinions born out of ignorance, malice and jealousy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llporKrPsbU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2hU-ibkPfg

I keep forgetting that someone had already done the homework on the descendents of brazilian slaves who call themselves yo***a (***:= rub)
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 5:52pm On Aug 06, 2021
Stoplying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIporKrPsbU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hU-ibkPfg

I keep forgetting that someone had already done the homework on the descendents of brazilian slaves who call themselves yo***a
Your propaganda videos have been debunked many times by myself as a work of fiction.

Rather than waste my time debunking it again (with the classical document), I think it is high-time that @Seun himself stepped in to do the needful.

You can’t name an ethnic group as a whole as slaves, and then expect that no action will be taken against you by the owner/mods of the platform.

It is high-time you’re put in your place for having broken the RULE 2 of this forum.

@Seun and @Mynd44 please take appropriate action against @Stoplying so peace and sanity can continue on this thread.

Thanks.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 6:34pm On Aug 06, 2021
nisai:
Hmmmm. Very nice.
I want to learn about Ijebu. You have books to recommend?
Please follow back, I just followed you now. Check your “FS”.

3 Likes

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by chumbuck12: 7:22pm On Aug 06, 2021
TAO11:
Your propaganda videos have been debunked many times by myself as a work of fiction.

Rather than waste my time debunking it again (with the classical document), I think it is high-time that @Seun himself stepped in to do the needful.

You can’t name an ethnic group as a whole as slaves, and then expect that no action will be taken against you by the owner/mods of the platform.

It is high-time you’re put in your place for having broken the RULE 2 of this forum.

@Seun and @Mynd44 please take appropriate action against @Stoplying so peace and sanity can continue on this thread.

Thanks.

This one pain am well.. She finally reported to the mods grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by Stoplying: 7:23pm On Aug 06, 2021
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 7:40pm On Aug 06, 2021
chumbuck12:
[s]This one pain am well.. She finally reported to the mods grin[/s]
You’re wrong lad. cheesy

If you have the ability to read, then you should have realized from my comment which you quoted that I had already debunked his false videos in the past. cheesy

I simply reported him (despite having debunked him in the past) to teach him a lesson that you can’t flout the rules of this community and think there would be no consequences. Now you gerrit ? cheesy

But since you seem to be keen about the refutation of his videos which I had made in the past, then help yourself with the following:

(1) Regarding your bitter lies about the trans-Atlantic slave trade, the following piece-by-piece devastating refutation:

(A) Contrary to your ignorance, captives weren’t taken from “all across Africa” as you imagined.

Rather, captives were taken from Central Africa and West Africa — including people from Benin kingdom whom the Nupe, the Ibadan, Ogedengbe, etc. raided.

(B) Contrary to your ignorance, the Yoruba people have long been known by the name Yoruba (and they’ve been living in their present homeland) for centuries prior to the period when ex-captives began to be returned to Africa.

We know this because the process of returning ex-captives back ‘home’ to West Africa didn’t begin until circa the late-1700s.

Whereas, there are manuscripts written in the early-1600s which list Yorubas (by their name Yoruba) among some of the ethnic groups of our region of West Africa.

This manuscript which was written by Ahmed Baba in 1615 is attached below.

The name Yoruba is shown in red highlight (among the other ethnic groups) as can be seen in the original manuscript as well as in the translation embedded below respectively:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934148_5117c6d550154217817d7c66b5fa0fe6_jpeg_jpeg2a73d5172c14cf7a7da91ff200688e3e

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934147_3336ed29985b499e82c4e140b455b9fa_jpeg_jpeg62ecafabb59c692d4ba471597fdf16bb

This translation was prepared by John Hunwick and Fatima Harrak for The Institute of African Studies Rabat, Morocco

Oh, I should add that we know that this manuscript was written by Ahmad Baba in the year 1615 because he himself penned his date as highlighted (in the attached verso) below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13082305_6e49d8d129844a578af9272699e1586a_jpeg_jpeg2d5891d724a6428e2c0f4e6898bd60cc

The highlight here literally shows the wording “(the year) one thousand and twenty four (of the Hijrah)”.

When converted from this Hijri “AH” calendar into our Gregorian “AD” calendar; the year 1024 AH falls into the year 1615 AD

The formula “D = 0.9692*H + 622” proves practically useful for this conversion.

In sum, your falsehood that returned-slaves (from all across Africa) are what became known as Yorubas is nothing but a but-hurt lie from a depressed bald-head.

(C) These ex-captives who were of West-African origin and Central African origin were repatriated directly to Sierra-Leone and Liberia.

Some began a new life there, while some decided to go back to their homeland from which they were taken ab-initio.

Nobody was repatriated to south-West Nigeria, bald-head.

A number of Yorubas among the returnees chose to return back to Yorubaland — just as many others who returned to their respective original homeland.

(2) The only ethnic-group whom I know of who couldn’t fight their way to freedom and be returned back to Africa are ……. [take a guess].

They couldn’t think of returning until about 400 years later when some of their descendants decided to tap into the science of Genetics as a guide to finding their way back home. ~ See video. below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxDve0rwQbM

The two attachments below also shows some earlier corroborative confessions made available to Dr. R. E. Bradbury by these people themselves.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12996709_af6378be36104010b036a2f7ab4096cd_jpeg_jpeg07ca8a3f5b191f4126cdcd6bf2f7faf7

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12996710_b28de88ee10a4b7a83b95532f6609396_jpeg_jpegaca1a6203806c9d893c79b42b9a6c76e

Peace cheesy

3 Likes

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by Stoplying: 8:11pm On Aug 06, 2021
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 8:23pm On Aug 06, 2021
Stoplying:
[s]Documented history of the yoruba:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hU-ibkPfg[/s]

My refutation of these false videos is already on this page as shown above.

I will repost it only if you re-post your false videos on a new page.

https://www.nairaland.com/6482972/name-lagos-called-ekonunuame-benins/11#104503443

Peace! cheesy

3 Likes

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by nisai: 9:24pm On Aug 06, 2021
TAO11:
OK.

2 Likes

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by Stoplying: 10:17pm On Aug 06, 2021
When it's all set and done, the truth is all that matters:

Documented history of the yorubas :

This is why whenever history is discussed, these yoruba always discuss fairytales like oduduwa and oranmiyan instead of their true history of which they are either ashamed either ignorant.
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 10:23pm On Aug 06, 2021
Stoplying:
[s]When it's all said and done, the truth is all that matters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2hU-ibkPfg

This is why whenever history is discussed, these yoruba always discuss fairytales like oduduwa and oranmiyan instead of their true history of which they are either ashamed either ignorant.[/s]
DEBUNKED! cheesy

https://www.nairaland.com/6482972/name-lagos-called-ekonunuame-benins/11#104503443

3 Likes

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by Stoplying: 12:38am On Aug 07, 2021
There is more:

true history of the yoruba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0f53aYJElw
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by samuk: 3:27am On Aug 07, 2021
Stoplying:
When it's all set and done, the truth is all that matters:

This is why whenever history is discussed, these yoruba always discuss fairytales like oduduwa and oranmiyan instead of their true history of which they are either ashamed either ignorant.

The same reason they downplay aspects of Benin history they can't steal as theirs. Same reason they will continue to hold on to the Oduduwa fairytale because it's a gateway for them to write themselves into Benin history and whitewash their historical pasts.

Any reasonable people would have by now disassociated themselves from Benin historical past because of the amount of work we have done here on nairaland to prove that there was absolutely no connections between Benin and Ife before 1897. They have refused to dissociate themselves from Benin history because to do so will amounts to historical suicide.

Take the Oduduwa myth out of their history and see how it fails apart.

The historical romance between Benin and Ife only lasted in the reigns of Oba Eweka 2 and Oba Akenzua 2 who were just recovering from the brutal defeat by the British and very hostile anti Benin British Nigeria and needed all the support they can get in the new political realities/order in then Nigeria. The romance hits the rock from the reign of Oba Erediawa and Oba Ewuare 2 have maintained his father's position on Oduduwa, I don't see any future change in the current position on Oduduwa.

Back to Ajayi Crowder

Ajayi Crowder as a missionary, saw the reigns of three Benin Obas starting from 1843 when he returned to Nigeria and opened a mission in Abeokuta.

Further more on Ajayi Crowder:

Crowther began translating the Bible into Yoruba and compiling a Yoruba dictionary. In 1843, his grammar book, on which he had begun working during the Niger expedition, was published. A Yoruba version of the Anglican Book of Common Prayer followed later. Crowther also compiled A Vocabulary of the Yoruba Language,[16] including a large number of local proverbs, published in London in 1852.

He also began codifying other languages. Following the British Niger Expeditions of 1854 and 1857, Crowther, assisted by a young Igbo interpreter named Simon Jonas, produced a primer for the Igbo language in 1857. He published one for the Nupe language in 1860, and a full grammar and vocabulary of Nupe in 1864.[17]

Crowther had become a close associate and friend of Captain James Pinson Labulo Davies, an influential politician, mariner, philanthropist and industrialist in colonial Lagos.[18] The two men collaborated on social initiatives in Lagos, such as the founding of The Academy (a social and cultural center for public enlightenment) on 24 October 1866. Crowther was the first patron and Captain J.P.L Davies was the first president.[19]

Back to Benin/Ife fabrications:

As can been seen above, Ajayi Crowder, an educated returnee former slave who travelled and worked across Nigeria during the reigns if three Oba of Benin, Oba Osemwende, Oba Adolo and Oba Ovonramwen (1843 -1891), 48 years never linked Benin history to Ife despite himself doing a lot of work on the advancement of the Yoruba race.

Why did Ajayi Crowder not write about
Benin/Ife relationship during his 48 years of missionary works in Nigeria.

The simple reason is there wasn't such relationship.

If there was Benin/Ife relationship, Ajayi Crowder who worked as a missionary in Nigeria for 48 years (1843 - 1891) during the reigns of (Oba Osemwende 1816-1848), (Oba Adolo 1848 -1888) and (Oba Ovonramwen 1888 -1914) would have mentioned it in his writings.

I mainly concentrated on the missionary life of Ajayi Crowder from when he returned to Nigeria in 1843. Ajayi Crowder was said to have been born in Nigeria in 1809 before he was taken into slavery.

From 1809 to 1891 when Ajayi Crowder was born and died, was a period of 81 years, in this period, Benin saw the reigns of five Obas,

1. Oba Obanosa(About 1804AD-1816AD)
2. Oba Ogbebo(About 1816AD-1816AD)
3. Oba Osemwende (About 1816AD-1848)
4. Oba Adolor (About 1848AD-1888AD)
5. Oba Ovoranmwen (1888AD-1914AD)

If there was Benin/Ife relationship during this period, why didn't Ajayi Crowder write about it in his 48 years of writing in Nigeria.

Apart from Ajayi Crowder who was an educated Nigeria who did a lot of writings, there were also numerous European in Nigeria during these periods who also wrote extensively on Yoruba and Benin history, why did they omit Benin/Ife relationship if indeed there was one.

The invention of Benin/Yoruba relationship as one people started after the fall of Benin in 1897. This is the simple reason you will not see any record of Benin/Ife relationship before 1897.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by nisai: 3:46am On Aug 07, 2021
TAO11:
Pls email me on ........., I forgot the password to the email linked to this account.
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 4:19am On Aug 07, 2021
nisai:
Pls email me on yusufbola90@gmail.com, I forgot the password to the email linked to this account.
Ouch!

1 Like

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 4:23am On Aug 07, 2021
Stoplying:
[s]There is more:
true history of the yoruba

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0f53aYJElw[/s]
DEBUNKED!

(1) Regarding your bitter lies about the trans-Atlantic slave trade, the following piece-by-piece devastating refutation:

(A) Contrary to your ignorance, captives weren’t taken from “all across Africa” as you imagined.

Rather, captives were taken from Central Africa and West Africa — including people from Benin kingdom whom the Nupe, the Ibadan, Ogedengbe, etc. raided.

(B) Contrary to your ignorance, the Yoruba people have long been known by the name Yoruba (and they’ve been living in their present homeland) for centuries prior to the period when ex-captives began to be returned to Africa.

We know this because the process of returning ex-captives back ‘home’ to West Africa didn’t begin until circa the late-1700s.

Whereas, there are manuscripts written in the early-1600s which list Yorubas (by their name Yoruba) among some of the ethnic groups of our region of West Africa.

This manuscript which was written by Ahmed Baba in 1615 is attached below.

The name Yoruba is shown in red highlight (among the other ethnic groups) as can be seen in the original manuscript as well as in the translation embedded below respectively:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934148_5117c6d550154217817d7c66b5fa0fe6_jpeg_jpeg2a73d5172c14cf7a7da91ff200688e3e

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934147_3336ed29985b499e82c4e140b455b9fa_jpeg_jpeg62ecafabb59c692d4ba471597fdf16bb

This translation was prepared by John Hunwick and Fatima Harrak for The Institute of African Studies Rabat, Morocco

Oh, I should add that we know that this manuscript was written by Ahmad Baba in the year 1615 because he himself penned his date as highlighted (in the attached verso) below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13082305_6e49d8d129844a578af9272699e1586a_jpeg_jpeg2d5891d724a6428e2c0f4e6898bd60cc

The highlight here literally shows the wording “(the year) one thousand and twenty four (of the Hijrah)”.

When converted from this Hijri “AH” calendar into our Gregorian “AD” calendar; the year 1024 AH falls into the year 1615 AD

The formula “D = 0.9692*H + 622” proves practically useful for this conversion.

In sum, your falsehood that returned-slaves (from all across Africa) are what became known as Yorubas is nothing but a but-hurt lie from a depressed bald-head.

(C) These ex-captives who were of West-African origin and Central African origin were repatriated directly to Sierra-Leone and Liberia.

Some began a new life there, while some decided to go back to their homeland from which they were taken ab-initio.

Nobody was repatriated to south-West Nigeria, bald-head.

A number of Yorubas among the returnees chose to return back to Yorubaland — just as many others who returned to their respective original homeland.

(2) The only ethnic-group whom I know of who couldn’t fight their way to freedom and be returned back to Africa are ……. [take a guess].

They couldn’t think of returning until about 400 years later when some of their descendants decided to tap into the science of Genetics as a guide to finding their way back home. ~ See video. below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxDve0rwQbM

The two attachments below also shows some earlier corroborative confessions made available to Dr. R. E. Bradbury by these people themselves.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12996709_af6378be36104010b036a2f7ab4096cd_jpeg_jpeg07ca8a3f5b191f4126cdcd6bf2f7faf7

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12996710_b28de88ee10a4b7a83b95532f6609396_jpeg_jpegaca1a6203806c9d893c79b42b9a6c76e

Peace cheesy

4 Likes

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 4:26am On Aug 07, 2021
samuk:
[s]The same reason they downplay aspects of Benin history they can't steal as theirs. Same reason they will continue to hold on to the Oduduwa fairytale because it's a gateway for them to write themselves into Benin history and whitewash their historical pasts.

Any reasonable people would have by now disassociated themselves from Benin historical past because of the amount of work we have done here on nairaland to prove that there was absolutely no connections between Benin and Ife before 1897. They have refused to dissociate themselves from Benin history because to do so will amounts to historical suicide.

Take the Oduduwa myth out of their history and see how it fails apart. Their early writers starting from Samuel Johnson knew the importance of the Benin connections the way Ajayi Crowder before him didn't understood.

The historical romance between Benin and Ife only lasted in the reigns of Oba Eweka 2 and Oba Akenzua 2 who were just recovering from the brutal defeat by the British and needed all the support they can get in the new political realities/order in then Nigeria. The romance hits the rock from the reign of Oba Erediawa and Oba Ewuare 2 have maintained his father's position on Oduduwa, I don't see any future change in the current position on Oduduwa.

Back to Ajayi Crowder

Ajayi Crowder saw the reigns of three Benin Obas starting from 1843 when he returned to Nigeria and opened a mission in Abeokuta.

Crowther began translating the Bible into Yoruba and compiling a Yoruba dictionary. In 1843, his grammar book, on which he had begun working during the Niger expedition, was published. A Yoruba version of the Anglican Book of Common Prayer followed later. Crowther also compiled A Vocabulary of the Yoruba Language,[16] including a large number of local proverbs, published in London in 1852.

He also began codifying other languages. Following the British Niger Expeditions of 1854 and 1857, Crowther, assisted by a young Igbo interpreter named Simon Jonas, produced a primer for the Igbo language in 1857. He published one for the Nupe language in 1860, and a full grammar and vocabulary of Nupe in 1864.[17]

Crowther had become a close associate and friend of Captain James Pinson Labulo Davies, an influential politician, mariner, philanthropist and industrialist in colonial Lagos.[18] The two men collaborated on social initiatives in Lagos, such as the founding of The Academy (a social and cultural center for public enlightenment) on 24 October 1866. Crowther was the first patron and Captain J.P.L Davies was the first president.[19]

As can been seen above, Ajayi Crowder, an educated returnee former slave who travelled and worked across Nigeria during the reigns if three Oba of Benin, Oba Osemwende, Oba Adolo and Oba Ovonramwen (1843 -1891), 48 years never linked Benin history to Ife despite himself doing a lot of work on the advancement of the Yoruba race.

Benin/Ife relationship during his 48 years of missionary works in Nigeria. The simple reason is there wasn't such relationship.

If there was Benin/Ife relationship, Ajayi Crowder who worked as a missionary in Nigeria for 48 years (1843 - 1891) during the reigns of (Oba Osemwende 1816-1848), (Oba Adolo 1848 -1888) and (Oba Ovonramwen 1888 -1914) would have mentioned it in his writings.

I mainly concentrated on the missionary life of Ajayi Crowder from when he returned to Nigeria in 1843. Ajayi Crowder was said to have been born in Nigeria in 1809 before he was taken into slavery.

From 1809 to 1891 when Ajayi Crowder was born and died was a period of 81 years, in this period Benin saw the reigns of five Obas,

If there was Benin/Ife relationship during this period, why didn't Ajayi Crowder wrote about it in his 48 years of writing in Nigeria.

Apart from Ajayi Crowder who was an educated Nigeria who did a lot of writings, there were also numerous European priests in Nigeria during these periods who also wrote extensively on Yoruba and Benin history, why did they omit Benin/Ife relationship if indeed there was one.

The invention of Benin/Yoruba relationship as one people started after the fall of Benin in 1897. This is the simple reason you will not see any record of Benin/Ife relationship before 1897.[/s]
The above heap of crap was debunked when I (earlier on on this thread) presented the academic argument for the classical (pre-1800s) connection between father-Ife and son-Benin when classical textual, cartographic, and archaeological evidence was adduced.

See below for a gentle reminder of the comment: cheesy
——————

Like I have noted twice earlier:

Whenever Benin e-miscreants get humiliated on one subject, it is their modus operandi to quietly flee to another subject hoping to find consolation — only to further get humiliated again.

This fact is playing out here with samuk-the laughing stock. Come along with me. cheesy

samuk:
I understand your pains. The Oduduwa myth is one very important myths the Yoruba desperately want to believe to be true, but unfortunately, it's what it is, a fabrication born out of myth without historical evidence backing it.
Starting with the word “mYtH” which you often throw in whenever the going gets rough for you:

Meaning 1: A traditional story, especially one about the early history of a people.

Meaning 2: A fiction.

So, whenever you find historians (from any part of the world) discussing the king Oduduwa, you should — going forward — quickly wake yourself up to the reality that historians don’t dwell on fictions. smiley

It is terrible enough that I had to break this down to a ‘likely adult’.

As per your laughable claim that this is a FaBriCaTiOn without historical evidence; what people of dignity do whenever they make a claim is that they proceed to prove such claims they make.

Do the same if you have an atom of dignity, and if you wish to be taken seriously by the readers. grin

Benin/Ife history was concocted after the fall of Benin empire in 1897.
CoNcOcTeD? LMAO cheesy

Who prepared the supposed CoNcOcTiOn? And what proof have you that a CoNcOcTiOn was prepared?

Again, if you have an atom of dignity and if you wish to be taken seriously by the readers, then proceed to adduce evidence for your claim of CoNcOcTiOn.

There were no mention of Ife, Oduduwa and Oranmiyan in the eyewitness documented Benin history between 1400s to 1800s.
This is not true. grin

Eyewitness testimony/writings from the late-1400s & early-1500s which references the monarch of the Ife kingdom & his suzerainty over Benin kingdom exist.

NB: Yes, there used to be a debate in academia in the 1970s/1980s (between the mainstream scholars on one hand; and one, two, or three others on another hand) over the identity of this suzerain.

This debate was particularly on the usage of the word “east” in those early writings.

In present time, however, there is no single academic historian who holds the notion that this suzerain (of the early writings) is other than the Ooni of Ife [i.e. Ọ̀ɣọ̀ni Ufẹ̀ in the Ife dialect of the Yoruba language].

The symbol ⟨ɣ⟩ being the voiced velar fricative with its consonant sound as in this audio sample.

This conclusion is reinforced by the fact that no king, throughout the Guinea Forest of West Africa matches the specific sacral details given in those early writings, except the Ooni of Ife.

In addition to this significant fact, the debate over the word “east” was subsequently quelled by the fact that
from Atakpame (in present-day Togo) to the kingdom of Benin (in present-day Nigeria), from Èkó (next to the Atlantic Ocean) to Ọ̀yọ́-Ilé (not far from the Niger River) Ife is known by the interesting epithet: Ibi ojúmọ́ ti ń mọ́ wá — i.e. “the place from where the sun rises”.

For some written references to the widespread usage of this epithet (in reference to Ife) among the natives of this region of West Africa, please refer to:

(A) Rev. D. Hinderer, “Diary Impression,” June 4, 1851, Ibadan, C.M.S.

(B) R. Horton (1979), p. 89., citing B. Maupoil (1943), A. Akinjogbin (1967:41-43), R. Smith (1969:31), as well as A. Obayemi (1976:206).

This reverential (rather than literal) epithet of Ife informed the literalist Europeans’ writings whose source(s) are Benin spokespersons of their king.

Hence the appearance of the word “east” in the early European writings in reference to the kingdom of the Ọ̀ɣọ̀ni (who is transliterated in the early writings as “Hooguanee”, “Ogané”, etc.).

Side Note: Binis, till today, still sometimes refer to the Ooni as Oghene. Refer to the entry “ɔɣɛnɛ” (i.e. “ọghẹnẹ”) in Hans Melzian’s “A Concise Dictionary of the Bini Language of Southern Nigeria” where its second definition is given as: “Bini name for the ni at Ile Ife”

Moreover, another piece of historical evidence which quelled the academic debate on the word “east” (as is seen in the early writings in reference to this overlord) are early maps.

There are maps (e.g. from the early 1500s) which show the phrase Dominion of the Orguene annotated across the western half of today’s Nigeria.

These historical information leaves anyone (not only the historians) with the only logical conclusion that the appearance of the word “east” in those early writings is of course not literal.

In conclusion, contrary to your ignorant assumption, there are writings from the early 1500s (on the basis of interviews of Bini representatives in the late 1400s) which references the king of Ife & his overlordship on Benin kingdom and other places.

Apart from early writings, there are other types of historical evidence which also establish clearly that there exist a classic (i.e. pre-1800) father & son relationship between Ife & Benin respectively.

These other type of historical evidence which I come to here are classical artifacts from the hard science of archaeology. One crucial examples in this regard is discussed below.

The artifact shown in this link is the image of an Ooni of Ife. ~ S. P. Blier, “Art in Ancient Ife,” 2012, Figure 17.

The Ife naturalism of this artifact, its facial striations, as well as its classical Ife ceremonial costume and the pair of chest ornament help art historians (as well as Benin chroniclers alike) with identifying this image as an Ooni of Ife.

What is very, very crucial here is that this artifact was found in the archaeological deposits of Benin. To be more precise, it was excavated from the royal palace of Benin kingdom.

Furthermore, the production date of this artifact has now been established by science. This artifact is dated, by thermoluminescence technique, to the year 1420 [± 60 years].

~ Calvocoressi & David, “A New Survey of Radiocarbon and Thermoluminescence Dates for West Africa,” 1979, p. 19.

For more pictorial angles (and details) regarding this particular artifact, please refer to:

(A) W. Fagg, “A Bronze Figure in Ife Style at Benin,” British Museum, June 1950, Plate Fa, Fb, Fc

(B) F. Willett, “Ife in the History of West African Sculpture,” McGraw-Hill, 1967, Figure 89.

(C) C. Adepegba, “The Descent from Oduduwa,” 1986, Plate 4.

In other words, a more-than 500-year-old ‘bronze’ cast of an Ooni Ife was discovered in the (archaeological deposits of the) palace of Benin kingdom.

In conclusion, it thus becomes clear that there exists a classical (i.e. pre-1800) father & son relationship between Ife & Benin respectively.

I have severally challenged TAO11 to show such evidence but I suspect I may have to wait until the chicken grows teeth before she can find such evidence.
If lying to yourself brings you peace of mind, who am I to ask you to stop lying. Lol. cheesy

Peace! cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by UGBE634: 8:09am On Aug 07, 2021
ThickSharon123 post: chapter of the Bini and Igbo relationship.

I ain't against Oba being the supreme leader, I respect him for that. Oba akpor topeye

ma it is Oba GHA to okpere, thank you
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by gregyboy(m): 8:39am On Aug 07, 2021
samuk:

The same reason they downplay aspects of Benin history they can't steal as theirs. Same reason they will continue to hold on to the Oduduwa fairytale because it's a gateway for them to write themselves into Benin history and whitewash their historical pasts.

The historical romance between Benin and Ife only lasted in the reigns of Oba Eweka 2 and Oba Akenzua 2 who were just recovering from the brutal defeat by the British and very hostile anti Benin British Nigeria and needed all the support they can get in the new political realities/order in then Nigeria. The romance hits the rock from the reign of Oba Erediawa and Oba Ewuare 2 have maintained his father's position on Oduduwa, I don't see any future change in the current position on Oduduwa.

Back to Ajayi Crowder

Ajayi Crowder as a missionary, saw the reigns of three Benin Obas starting from 1843 when he returned to Nigeria and opened a mission in Abeokuta.

From 1809 to 1891 when Ajayi Crowder was born and died, was a period of 81 years, in this period, Benin saw the reigns of five Obas,

If there was Benin/Ife relationship during this period, why didn't Ajayi Crowder write about it in his 48 years of writing in Nigeria.

Apart from Ajayi Crowder who was an educated Nigeria who did a lot of writings, there were also numerous European in Nigeria during these periods who also wrote extensively on Yoruba and Benin history, why did they omit Benin/Ife relationship if indeed there was one.

The invention of Benin/Yoruba relationship as one people started after the fall of Benin in 1897. This is the simple reason you will not see any record of Benin/Ife relationship before 1897.

You made a brilliant point with ajayi crowther after i saw this your point i decide to research on what he wrote on the origin of yoruba people

The wrote on how ife was founded by 3 different brothers these 3 names never had Oduduwa in it,

That made already proved my assertion that Samuel johson invented Oduduwa into ife in his book in 1897

Ajayi crowther was also an Oyo man just like Samuel johson how come he would skip Oduduwa and Samuel johson didn't when there from thesame oyo

Samuel johson invented odudwa

We are afraid to read history fron research perceptive, Tao11 has been the messenger sent for we binis to humiliate yoruba history

Every blames goes to Tao11 and her crazy
obsession
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by gregyboy(m): 8:43am On Aug 07, 2021
Thr idiot Tao11

Made them pull down the beautiful political thread for Oduduwa republic when her brothers invited her madness into the thread

The thread has been deleted a thread than was spamming 30 pages under 3 days

I exposed alot there probably that's what got a yoruba mod to bring the page down
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by UGBE634: 9:00am On Aug 07, 2021
TAO11:
Are you actually slow, or pretending to be slow??
I have never been slow, I was trying to correct the impressions to your followers who would have passed it off as exact same scenario with what I was implying. I had to do that before one of your followers like nisiw365 go on the street of Ibadan shouting na we behead Ozolua.
TAO11:
At what point did I inform you or any of your fellow miscreants that a [eastern] Yoruba community [in the frontier area of Benin kingdom] beheaded your oba
some of your followers might have implied that I had to correct it for their sake.
TAO11:
The most I have noted is that IFE alone conquered and continues to conquer the Edos for some 800 years till date and still counting.
Ilorin is with the Fulani's and they speak Yoruba language and I am sure they practice Yoruba culture alongside like IFA but it is what it is.
TAO11:
You are conquered linguistically (to a fair extent),
conquered linguistically?you wish! Go on YouTube search for Edo movies and watch it if you hear as much as five percent make I die. I saw you ignorantly asserting on one thread that Omo was borrowed by the Binis from the yorubas, and you went further to say that slaves use 'ovbi'let me add here that bini is a one dialect language, there are no variations. There are some scenarios that would warrant yYou to use Omo and there are some scenarios which would warrant yYou to use Ovbi else your statement won't be correct or sound right.
TAO11:
you are conquered politically (the Ife dynasty)
I have explained this to you before but you will not heed the Bini man is a very stubborn man he is not one that can be forced to do something against his wish the energy is from us to him, that is not conquest, there are no slaves in Benin everyone descended from one worthy ancestor or another all of who are king of one district or another some of these towns are well older than Benin and predate the Oba dynasty e.g Ugo Egor, Udo etc,
TAO11:
you are conquered theologically (the Yoruba deities),
Nor be who dae worship them? Olokun is Edo.
TAO11:
you are conquered psychologically, etc.
you wish instead you are the one that has been conquered psychologically after reading series of Edo conquest, you can no longer sleep comfortably at night.
TAO11:
I also mentioned the humiliation your oba had to face — that is, the fact that your oba had to placate and plead with Ogedengbe even after he had meted untold carnage upon your oba’s kingdom.
And I have also told you that your Ogedegbe's claim to greatness is shrouded in mystery and cowardice, it has to be debated first before one can draw out any meaning from it
TAO11:
And I also mentioned that in the course of engaging some eastern frontier Yoruba communities in battle, Benin (even as relatively big as it is in comparison to each of these much relatively smaller communities) still recorded “important casualties on some occasions (e.g. Iken, et al.), as well as” recorded “outright loss on some occasions”.
but you are trying to trivialize this one now, If not samuk that brought out this one,you won't have shown us how Benin decimated your fathers, how Igede and Uyin lost part of their population in the fight Against Edo.
TAO11:
I did make it clear in my foregoing comment that it was the “humiliation of your oba … [that] … I was particular on” with respect to the fat that your oba Ozolua was beheaded — at no point did I dwell on who was responsible, or who wasn’t.
Na Edo man behead Edo man wetin be your concern ,by the way I knew what you tried to do but your followers may not be as smart.

TAO11:
Oh really!? cheesy Anyways, you may go and never return if you truly mean to do so.
you really wish I should leave so you can pass heresy as truth
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 9:47am On Aug 07, 2021
UGBE634, after running away for days you still don’t know how to use the “Quote” functionality.

Anyway, sha modify/quote properly, make I come fire you with devastating refutation as usual. cheesy

PS: Good! Now that you’ve modified, make I come fire your ynansh! cheesy

2 Likes

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by nisai: 9:47am On Aug 07, 2021
TAO11:
Ouch!
Lol. Kilode?

1 Like

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by nisai: 9:48am On Aug 07, 2021
TAO11:
UGBE634, after running away for days you still don’t know how to use the “Quote” functionality.

Anyway, sha modify/quote properly, make I come fire you with devastating refutation as usual.

PS: Good! Now that you’ve modified, make I come fire your ynansh! cheesy
grin ;DEwooooo! grin

1 Like

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by samuk: 9:55am On Aug 07, 2021
gregyboy:

You made a brilliant point with ajayi crowther after i saw this your point i decide to research on what he wrote on the origin of yoruba people

The wrote on how ife was founded by 3 different brothers these 3 names never had Oduduwa in it,

That made already proved my assertion that Samuel johson invented Oduduwa into ife in his book in 1897

Ajayi crowther was also an Oyo man just like Samuel johson how come he would skip Oduduwa and Samuel johson didn't when there from thesame oyo

Samuel johson invented odudwa

We are afraid to read history fron research perceptive, Tao11 has been the messenger sent for we binis to humiliate yoruba history

Every blames goes to Tao11 and her crazy
obsession

The questions are:

1. Why didn't Ajayi Crowder record seeing atleast two Obas of Benin being taken to Ife for burial.

2. Why didn't Ajayi Crowder record seeing atleast two Obas of Benin that reigned in his time going to Ife to go and collect their beaded crowns as these people have been telling us.

3. Why didn't Ajayi Crowder record seeing traditional and cultural exchanges between Ife and Benin during his 48 years of his adult missionary life in Nigeria.

TAO11 is a blessing in disguise to the Benin here on Nairaland. She forced us to stop taking our history on face value without questioning it.

Looking closely at Ajayi Crowder's life, writings and the fact that he lived during the reigns of the last five Obas of Benin (1809 - 1891) before the fall of Benin in 1897 and yet wrote nothing about Benin/Ife supposed relationship, I have never been more convinced that Benin never had any relationship, interactions and connections with Ife until after the fall of Benin in 1897.
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by Nobody: 10:16am On Aug 07, 2021
samuk:

Back to Ajayi Crowder

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by Nobody: 10:18am On Aug 07, 2021
They have already deleted the other thread in which the yoruba fraud was being exposed from all sides.
The yoruba tried to pass a document published recently as a document written in 1889.
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by gregyboy(m): 10:18am On Aug 07, 2021
samuk:

The questions are:

1. Why didn't Ajayi Crowder record seeing atleast two Obas of Benin being taken to Ife for burial.

2. Why didn't Ajayi Crowder record seeing atleast two Obas of Benin that reigned in his time going to Ife to go and collect their beaded crowns as these people have been telling us.

3. Why didn't Ajayi Crowder record seeing traditional and cultural exchanges between Ife and Benin during his 48 years of his adult missionary life in Nigeria.

TAO11 is a blessing in disguise to the Benin here on Nairaland. She forced us to stop taking our history on face value without questioning it.

Looking closely at Ajayi Crowder's life, writings and the fact that he lived during the reigns of the last three Obas of Benin before the fall of Benin in 1897, I have never been more convinced that Benin never had any relationship, interactions and connections with Ife.

Samuel ajayi crowther in his book quoted

The yoruba country stretches from oyo to benin and Dahomey....

That idiot of a bishop lied, i dont belive he would make heaven, he decided to include benin as Yorubas for his books to gain attention

So if you notice this yoruba people have been attaching themselves to we binis since 800bc grin they are lover of greatness they cabt make

Tao11 is a recarnation of the first yoruba who attempted attaching binis to yoruba history that's why are own obsession is unexplaining

In the other hand another oyo man named Samuel johson in 1897 had invented Oduduwa fairytales....

Samuel johson mentioned bini as one of oduduwa imaginary children which i belive he got the audacity from ajayi who inspired him from his works

Anyway yoruba have been attaching to greatness since since d fall of d devil and to the benins since the 15bc... ;and to the fulanis since 1960

The annoying part is they aren't stealing the Fulani history because there is really no big greatness in their prehistory and if they attempt war on their head because thry got the numbers to outmach them online they are only attaching to the fulanis for their current exploit in the political Affairs of nigeria and they are doing so as slaves
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by Nobody: 10:23am On Aug 07, 2021
gregyboy:

Samuel ajayi crowther in his book quoted

The yoruba country stretches from oyo to benin and Dahomey....

That idiot of a bishop lied, i dont belive he would make heaven, he decided to include benin as Yorubas for his books to gain attention

So if you notice this yoruba people have been attaching themselves to we binis since 800bc grin they are lover of greatness they cabt make

Tao11 is a recarnation of the first yoruba who attempted attaching binis to yoruba history that's why are own obsession is unexplaining

In the other hand another oyo man named Samuel johson in 1897 had invented Oduduwa fairytales....

Samuel johson mentioned bini as one of oduduwa imaginary children which i belive he got the audacity from ajayi who inspired him from his works

Anyway yoruba have been attaching to greatness since since d fall of d devil and to the benins since the 15bc... ;and to the fulanis since 1960

The annoying part is they aren't stealing the Fulani history because there is really no big greatness in their prehistory and if they attempt war on their head because thry got the numbers to outmach them online they are only attaching to the fulanis for their current exploit in the political Affairs of nigeria and they are doing so as slaves

What happened to the other thread where you were nailing the transgender, I woke up to see the thread were deleted.
Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 10:44am On Aug 07, 2021
UGBE634:
I have never been slow, I was trying to correct the impressions to your followers who would have passed it off as exact same scenario with what I was implying. I had to do that before one of your followers like nisiw365 go on the street of Ibadan shouting na we behead Ozolua[/s].
Nah! My FoLLoWeRs are not from Benin kingdom — what I mean is that they’re not retarded. It’s enough that only one man Yoruba man bullied the oba of Benin. We don’t need his blood. We have outsourced that to the Esan. And they did a good head-rolling job. Ozolua’s head was carefully detached from his neck. cheesy
some of your followers might have implied that I had to correct it for their sake.
Like I said they’re not slOw like one of your brothers.

Your guess is as good as mine. You know exactly who I’m talking about. Yes the dumb one. Swear that you don’t know him. grin

Ilorin is with the Fulani's and they speak Yoruba language and I am sure they practice Yoruba culture alongside like IFA but it is what it is.
Yes, they’re majority Muslim. And they adopt Islamic rulership — and the rulership doesn’t know ethnicity.

However, same can not be said of Esan Emirate under the leadership of the Emir of Esanland here.

conquered linguistically?you wish! Go on YouTube search for Edo movies and watch it if you hear as much as five percent make I die. I saw you ignorantly asserting on one thread that Omo was borrowed by the Binis from the yorubas, and you went further to say that slaves use 'ovbi'let me add here that bini is a one dialect language, there are no variations. There are some scenarios that would warrant yYou to use Omo and there are some scenarios which would warrant yYou to use Ovbi else your statement won't be correct or sound right.
LMAO! You better don’t die for nothing. cheesy

Hardly will you flip through one or two pages of a Bini dictionary without seeing words that are said to had their have origin in the Yoruba language — e.g. “ago” “ekpeti”, “abe”, “ada”, “agbo”, “oba”, among innumerable others.

I have explained this to you before but you will not heed the Bini man is a very stubborn man he is not one that can be forced to do something against his wish the energy is from us to him, that is not conquest, there are no slaves in Benin everyone descended from one worthy ancestor or another all of who are king of one district or another some of these towns are well older than Benin and predate the Oba dynasty e.g Ugo Egor, Udo etc,
After all said and done cheesy, you have one king who supersedes you all and who is of Ife-descent.

Now that is political conquest. And it has continued for 800+ years now till today and still counting.

If that is not conquest, then tell me what is conquest.

Nor be who dae worship them? Olokun is Edo.
Olokun is NOT Edo — break down the name “olokun” into its component parts, and tell me if the components are each Edo words.

After that, then have the components make sense as one word together. cheesy

Do the same for “Ogun”, for”Aiyelala,” etc. grin

Yes, you already see the conquest. Admit it inside you, if not on Nairaland. Haha.

you wish instead you are the one that has been conquered psychologically after reading series of Edo conquest, you can no longer sleep comfortably at night.
Stories of how omnipotent VaSsALs summoned their own overlord. Haha! My tummy.

Sleep? Are you confessing something. One of your brother confessed this a day ago — he said fear of TAO can’t allow him sleep again.

And I have also told you that your Ogedegbe's claim to greatness is shrouded in mystery and cowardice, it has to be debated first before one can draw out any meaning from it
1800s history is not subject to any debate. Ogendegbe bullied your oba and terrorized your oba’s kingdom. No debate. The most you can do is the very thing you’ve just done. That is, take a break and go cry yourself to stupor for days then come back here.

but you are trying to trivialize this one now, If not samuk that brought out this one,you won't have shown us how Benin decimated your fathers, how Igede and Uyin lost part of their population in the fight Against Edo.
TrYviAliZe?? Do you just use words because they sound cool to you? How is killing a Benin War Chief, Iken, in war the same as trivializing anything?

How is Ogedengbe bullying your oba one and the same thing as trivializing anything?

Na Edo man behead Edo man wetin be your concern ,by the way I knew what you tried to do but your followers may not be as smart.
When did Esan become Bini?

For your information, Esan is Esan. Edo is Bini. Esan is not Bini. cheesy

You oba was beheaded. That’s all that matters to me. I don’t care if it was an albino who beheaded your oba.

you really wish I should leave so you can pass heresy as truth
Oh okay. Today is Saturday. The Bini king forbids that his subject should use their brain today.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Name Lagos, Was Called Ekonunuame By The Benins by TAO11(f): 10:47am On Aug 07, 2021
samuk:
[s]The questions are:

Looking closely at Ajayi Crowder's life, writings and the fact that he lived during the reigns of the last five Obas of Benin (1809 - 1891) before the fall of Benin in 1897 and yet wrote nothing about Benin/Ife supposed relationship, I have never been more convinced that Benin never had any relationship, interactions and connections with Ife until after the fall of Benin in 1897.
[/s]
The above heap of crap was debunked when I (earlier on on this thread) presented the academic argument for the classical (pre-1800s) connection between father-Ife and son-Benin when classical textual, cartographic, and archaeological evidence was adduced.

See below for a gentle reminder of the comment: cheesy
——————

Like I have noted twice earlier:

Whenever Benin e-miscreants get humiliated on one subject, it is their modus operandi to quietly flee to another subject hoping to find consolation — only to further get humiliated again.

This fact is playing out here with samuk-the laughing stock. Come along with me. cheesy

samuk:
I understand your pains. The Oduduwa myth is one very important myths the Yoruba desperately want to believe to be true, but unfortunately, it's what it is, a fabrication born out of myth without historical evidence backing it.
Starting with the word “mYtH” which you often throw in whenever the going gets rough for you:

Meaning 1: A traditional story, especially one about the early history of a people.

Meaning 2: A fiction.

So, whenever you find historians (from any part of the world) discussing the king Oduduwa, you should — going forward — quickly wake yourself up to the reality that historians don’t dwell on fictions. smiley

It is terrible enough that I had to break this down to a ‘likely adult’.

As per your laughable claim that this is a FaBriCaTiOn without historical evidence; what people of dignity do whenever they make a claim is that they proceed to prove such claims they make.

Do the same if you have an atom of dignity, and if you wish to be taken seriously by the readers. grin

Benin/Ife history was concocted after the fall of Benin empire in 1897.
CoNcOcTeD? LMAO cheesy

Who prepared the supposed CoNcOcTiOn? And what proof have you that a CoNcOcTiOn was prepared?

Again, if you have an atom of dignity and if you wish to be taken seriously by the readers, then proceed to adduce evidence for your claim of CoNcOcTiOn.

There were no mention of Ife, Oduduwa and Oranmiyan in the eyewitness documented Benin history between 1400s to 1800s.
This is not true. grin

Eyewitness testimony/writings from the late-1400s & early-1500s which references the monarch of the Ife kingdom & his suzerainty over Benin kingdom exist.

NB: Yes, there used to be a debate in academia in the 1970s/1980s (between the mainstream scholars on one hand; and one, two, or three others on another hand) over the identity of this suzerain.

This debate was particularly on the usage of the word “east” in those early writings.

In present time, however, there is no single academic historian who holds the notion that this suzerain (of the early writings) is other than the Ooni of Ife [i.e. Ọ̀ɣọ̀ni Ufẹ̀ in the Ife dialect of the Yoruba language].

The symbol ⟨ɣ⟩ being the voiced velar fricative with its consonant sound as in this audio sample.

This conclusion is reinforced by the fact that no king, throughout the Guinea Forest of West Africa matches the specific sacral details given in those early writings, except the Ooni of Ife.

In addition to this significant fact, the debate over the word “east” was subsequently quelled by the fact that
from Atakpame (in present-day Togo) to the kingdom of Benin (in present-day Nigeria), from Èkó (next to the Atlantic Ocean) to Ọ̀yọ́-Ilé (not far from the Niger River) Ife is known by the interesting epithet: Ibi ojúmọ́ ti ń mọ́ wá — i.e. “the place from where the sun rises”.

For some written references to the widespread usage of this epithet (in reference to Ife) among the natives of this region of West Africa, please refer to:

(A) Rev. D. Hinderer, “Diary Impression,” June 4, 1851, Ibadan, C.M.S.

(B) R. Horton (1979), p. 89., citing B. Maupoil (1943), A. Akinjogbin (1967:41-43), R. Smith (1969:31), as well as A. Obayemi (1976:206).

This reverential (rather than literal) epithet of Ife informed the literalist Europeans’ writings whose source(s) are Benin spokespersons of their king.

Hence the appearance of the word “east” in the early European writings in reference to the kingdom of the Ọ̀ɣọ̀ni (who is transliterated in the early writings as “Hooguanee”, “Ogané”, etc.).

Side Note: Binis, till today, still sometimes refer to the Ooni as Oghene. Refer to the entry “ɔɣɛnɛ” (i.e. “ọghẹnẹ”) in Hans Melzian’s “A Concise Dictionary of the Bini Language of Southern Nigeria” where its second definition is given as: “Bini name for the ni at Ile Ife”

Moreover, another piece of historical evidence which quelled the academic debate on the word “east” (as is seen in the early writings in reference to this overlord) are early maps.

There are maps (e.g. from the early 1500s) which show the phrase Dominion of the Orguene annotated across the western half of today’s Nigeria.

These historical information leaves anyone (not only the historians) with the only logical conclusion that the appearance of the word “east” in those early writings is of course not literal.

In conclusion, contrary to your ignorant assumption, there are writings from the early 1500s (on the basis of interviews of Bini representatives in the late 1400s) which references the king of Ife & his overlordship on Benin kingdom and other places.

Apart from early writings, there are other types of historical evidence which also establish clearly that there exist a classic (i.e. pre-1800) father & son relationship between Ife & Benin respectively.

These other type of historical evidence which I come to here are classical artifacts from the hard science of archaeology. One crucial examples in this regard is discussed below.

The artifact shown in this link is the image of an Ooni of Ife. ~ S. P. Blier, “Art in Ancient Ife,” 2012, Figure 17.

The Ife naturalism of this artifact, its facial striations, as well as its classical Ife ceremonial costume and the pair of chest ornament help art historians (as well as Benin chroniclers alike) with identifying this image as an Ooni of Ife.

What is very, very crucial here is that this artifact was found in the archaeological deposits of Benin. To be more precise, it was excavated from the royal palace of Benin kingdom.

Furthermore, the production date of this artifact has now been established by science. This artifact is dated, by thermoluminescence technique, to the year 1420 [± 60 years].

~ Calvocoressi & David, “A New Survey of Radiocarbon and Thermoluminescence Dates for West Africa,” 1979, p. 19.

For more pictorial angles (and details) regarding this particular artifact, please refer to:

(A) W. Fagg, “A Bronze Figure in Ife Style at Benin,” British Museum, June 1950, Plate Fa, Fb, Fc

(B) F. Willett, “Ife in the History of West African Sculpture,” McGraw-Hill, 1967, Figure 89.

(C) C. Adepegba, “The Descent from Oduduwa,” 1986, Plate 4.

In other words, a more-than 500-year-old ‘bronze’ cast of an Ooni Ife was discovered in the (archaeological deposits of the) palace of Benin kingdom.

In conclusion, it thus becomes clear that there exists a classical (i.e. pre-1800) father & son relationship between Ife & Benin respectively.

I have severally challenged TAO11 to show such evidence but I suspect I may have to wait until the chicken grows teeth before she can find such evidence.
If lying to yourself brings you peace of mind, who am I to ask you to stop lying. Lol. cheesy

Peace! cheesy

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (28) (Reply)

Kano Emirate: Low Activities In Sanusi’s Palace / Oni Was A Chief Priest / Adopted Western Culture That You Dislike.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.