Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,134 members, 7,814,973 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:10 AM

Onitsha: A City With No Government - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha: A City With No Government (3370 Views)

Idris Wase: No Government Has Touched Lives Of Ordinary Citizens Like APC / Falae: There May Be No Government In Abuja After Buhari / Salihu Yakasai: No Government Can Condone Sanusi’s Criticisms – Ganduje’s Aide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onitsha: A City With No Government by Aconomist: 11:29am On Mar 31, 2021
Onitsha is one of the most unique cites in Nigeria, famous for it high rise buildings. But the waterfront is completely undeveloped. The first image is the Onitsha waterfront. The second image is the waterfront in Luanda, Angola, and the third image is the waterfront in Singapore.

While other states in Nigeria are building brand new ports and metro rails, Anambra can't even provide a basic improvements to their city. The people of Onitsha are wailing about Buhari, meanwhile their local government is comprised of zombies.

edit: I'm not talking about the buildings. I'm talking about paving the riverbank

7 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Aconomist: 11:32am On Mar 31, 2021
More images of the undeveloped Onitsha waterfront. Are you waiting for Buhari to pave this area?

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by SpecialAdviser(m): 11:35am On Mar 31, 2021
Op. What to you posted is a fact. Am Igbo but this should not be seen as a tribal bash.

Unfortunately same can be said of most water ways in Nigeria.

Nigeria a country without leaders.

9 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Aconomist: 11:37am On Mar 31, 2021
Even dirty Indians had enough sense to pave their waterfronts over 500 years ago, despite the filth and poverty.

4 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by dvdwed(m): 11:41am On Mar 31, 2021
Very few, very few Nigerians have a working brain.

What OP and guys just observed Nigerian politicians will never see need for it in 50yrs.

9 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Freestainworld(m): 11:44am On Mar 31, 2021
Not only Onitsha, almost every other places in Nigeria apart from lagos

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Aconomist: 11:44am On Mar 31, 2021
Waterfront in Baltimore U.S.A.

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Emergingnation(m): 12:00pm On Mar 31, 2021
Fact !
Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Nobody: 12:05pm On Mar 31, 2021
the future is bright

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by ImmaculateJOE(m): 12:22pm On Mar 31, 2021
Honestly I don't know what Obiano is doing... Ngigge and Obi set the pace running, but Obiano came and slow it down.

He focused all his attention on Anambra International Airport (which is a wonderful project tho)

And our wealthy Men are not living up to our expectations.. (tho its their money)

4 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by sterlingD(m): 12:23pm On Mar 31, 2021
dvdwed:
Very few, very few Nigerians have a working brain.

What OP and guys just observed Nigerian politicians will never see need for it in 50yrs.
The one of Makurdi is something else. I just don't understand

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by xxxXXXxxx: 1:01pm On Mar 31, 2021
This O.p have got good intention, but a lotta of folks usually criticize him on many of his threads. He wants the country to have world standard infrastructures instead of being stuck in primitive era.

This is 21st century for God's sake, things should be far better than they presently are in this contraption disguised as a country.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Rahkman: 2:22pm On Mar 31, 2021
Everyday i wake up i regret being an African ...... we have nothing to be proud about.. you won’t understand till you leave this continent and see how you have been living in a shithole ur entire life... you will be amazed the way the entire world has left Africa behind..... you will be shocked to witness the civilization of the 21st century in full glare

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Nobody: 2:27pm On Mar 31, 2021
Most Nigerians don't have ideas in their heads.

Beautification is something they never think of.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by horsepower102: 2:40pm On Mar 31, 2021
OP thank you for this thread. I have been saying this about Onitsha. The waterfront has the potential to be generating billions of dollars in economic activity but all the governors including the current one totally ignored it and allowed unchecked and mindless development to fester. Why can't we start doing things like normal human beings do in the rest of the world? Do they have two heads?

11 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by ivolt: 2:41pm On Mar 31, 2021
xxxXXXxxx:
This O.p have got good intention, but a lotta of folks usually criticize him on many of his threads. He wants the country to have world standard infrastructures instead of being stuck in primitive era.

This is 21st century for God's sake, things should be far better than they presently are in this contraption disguised as a country.
The OP has psychological issues and so are so are his believers.
He wants?
Who doesn't? If wishes were horses..

Any nonentity who found themselves in foreign countries through hook or crook and start earning through illegal means
or minimum wage labour immediately become an expert in governance. They are usually the loudest.

Funny thing is you don't find the real movers spend every waking day cursing their country.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by horsepower102: 2:45pm On Mar 31, 2021
ivolt:

The OP has psychological issues and so are so are his believers.
He wants?
Who doesn't? If wishes were horses..

Any nonentity who found themselves in foreign countries through hook or crook and start earning through illegal means
or minimum wage labour immediately become an expert in governance. They are usually the loudest.

Funny thing is you don't find the real movers spend every waking day cursing their country.

It will do you well to focus on the message and leave the messenger alone. The OP is 100% right. It is something I and so many other forward thinking people have complained about in the past.

10 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Obalatule: 2:52pm On Mar 31, 2021
SuperBold your imaginary ipob is now attacking Onitsha and nobody is tagging him afonja

You see why i said most yoruba in this forum dey ment?......all of you are obsessed with everything igbo
grin grin

12 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Ikinternational: 3:06pm On Mar 31, 2021
Please miscreants don't derail the thread with your normal rubbish. Meaningful contributions abeg

@OP. You lost me at the Buhari criticism. It comes with the job

Only in Russia n China do presidents get approval ratings in the 90's..

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Aconomist: 3:08pm On Mar 31, 2021
Rahkman:
Everyday i wake up i regret being an African ...... we have nothing to be proud about.. you won’t understand till you leave this continent and see how you have been living in a shithole ur entire life... you will be amazed the way the entire world has left Africa behind..... you will be shocked to witness the civilization of the 21st century in full glare
My thoughts exactly. It is only those of us who are cursed blessed with high intelligence and exposure who understand the gravity of our situation. Africans are like the living dead. Other races are ready to explore mars and develop self-driving cars while our people can't even pave a simple waterfront. It's unbearable to be stuck in a race like this.

One may be tempted to give up, marry a white women, and spend the rest of his life as a second-class citizen in the West. But my pride won't let me take that route.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by funkybroyouknow: 3:08pm On Mar 31, 2021
sadly city planning is nonexistent in Nigeria undecided

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Aconomist: 3:08pm On Mar 31, 2021
Ikinternational:
Please miscreants don't derail the thread with your normal rubbish. Meaningful contributions abeg

@OP. You lost me at the Buhari criticism. It comes with the job

Only in Russia n China do presidents get approval ratings in the 90's..
It's not Buhari's job. This is the job of local government.
Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Aconomist: 3:14pm On Mar 31, 2021
horsepower102:
OP thank you for this thread. I have been saying this about Onitsha. The waterfront has the potential to be generating billions of dollars in economic activity but all the governors including the current one totally ignored it and allowed unchecked and mindless development to fester. Why can't we start doing things like normal human beings do in the rest of the world? Do they have two heads?
Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Aconomist: 3:16pm On Mar 31, 2021
This is the man who can't even develop a simple water front in 2021.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Aconomist: 3:22pm On Mar 31, 2021
These governors and house of reps members could develop this whole area with one year's salary. All they have to do is pay an international architecture firm, like Gensler, to draw up plans for the area. Complete the land acquisition, and pay a private company like Julius Berger, ITB, or CCECC, to execute the plans. Development is very easy nowadays. There are private companies that can do all the thinking and work for you -- all you need is vision.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by horsepower102: 3:26pm On Mar 31, 2021
Aconomist:
Black skin black brain.

Isn't Angola that you posted a black nation. This is more of a cultural problem. We have accepted extreme low standards as the norm.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Aconomist: 3:28pm On Mar 31, 2021
horsepower102:

Isn't Angola that you posted a black nation. This is more of a cultural problem. We have accepted extreme low standards as the norm.
That waterfront was developed by the Portuguese. But anyways, I have deleted that comment.

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by horsepower102: 3:38pm On Mar 31, 2021
Aconomist:
That waterfront was developed by the Portuguese. But anyways, I have deleted that comment.

We can do it ourselves. This is not rocket science. There are so many unemployed civil engineers and architects that the government can easily engage to design and construct a standard waterfront. This is not a problem of intelligence as you tend to make it look. Its a problem of culture and acceptance of mediocrity.

7 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by gwafaeziokwu: 4:00pm On Mar 31, 2021
Aconomist:
This is the man who can't even develop a simple water front in 2021.

And the demarketing starts. You guys are always so predictable. Shady and unreliable.

Looking like he might be a threat in the long run. You guys should focus on the hatchet job you are doing on Peter Obi and leave Obiano alone, biko.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by gwafaeziokwu: 4:04pm On Mar 31, 2021
Aconomist:
More images of the undeveloped Onitsha waterfront. Are you waiting for Buhari to pave this area?

Let's see all the water fronts in Nigeria so we can do a proper analysis. Abi na for only Onitsha waterfront dey for Nigeria.

Show us the pictures of other waterfront so we can all do a general discussion. Until then keep your observation to yourself.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Aconomist: 4:09pm On Mar 31, 2021
gwafaeziokwu:

Let's see all the water fronts in Nigeria so we can do a proper analysis. Abi na for only Onitsha waterfront dey for Nigeria.

Show us the pictures of other waterfront so we can all do a general discussion. Until then keep your observation to yourself.
All of them are bad, including Lagos. The only place where we have a well-developed waterfront is Eko Atlantic.

5 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by gwafaeziokwu: 4:12pm On Mar 31, 2021
By the way will heaven fall if federal government give an important commercial city like Onitsha a befitting water front? Will Nigeria break if federal government do meaningful projects in the south East just like is obtainable in all regions.

Since the east is expected to do everything by themselves even with low allocation, allow us to prioritise biko.

If successive fed government regimes in Nigeria had built an airport in Onitsha like they promised maybe Obiano would have used the airport funds to do other meaningful things.

I hate it when people will wear wrist watch and be looking for a mirror to check how beautiful it is.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Benue State Governor Ortom Commissions First Project In 6 Years: Photo / Opinion Sampling: Why Do You Hate Biafra? / PDP NWC Sacks Iyorchia Ayu, Name Acting National Chairman (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.