Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,853 members, 7,817,525 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Onitsha: A City With No Government - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Onitsha: A City With No Government (3376 Views)

Idris Wase: No Government Has Touched Lives Of Ordinary Citizens Like APC / Falae: There May Be No Government In Abuja After Buhari / Salihu Yakasai: No Government Can Condone Sanusi’s Criticisms – Ganduje’s Aide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by xxxXXXxxx: 4:19pm On Mar 31, 2021
horsepower102:

We can do it ourselves. This is not rocket science. There are so many unemployed civil engineers and architects that the government can easily engage to design and construct a standard waterfront. This is not a problem of intelligence as you tend to make it look. Its a problem of culture and acceptance of mediocrity.

Let's keep fingers crossed till it's done
Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Aconomist: 4:19pm On Mar 31, 2021
gwafaeziokwu:
By the way will heaven fall if federal government give an important commercial city like Onitsha a befitting water front? Will Nigeria break if federal government do meaningful projects in the south East just like is obtainable in all regions.

Since the east is expected to do everything by themselves even with low allocation, allow us to prioritise biko.

If successive fed government regimes in Nigeria has built an airport in Onitsha like they promised maybe Obiano would have used the airport funds to do other meaningful things.

I hate it when people will wear wrist watch and be looking for a mirror to check how beautiful it is.
I'm not here to defend the FG, but remember they are building the second Niger bridge in Onitsha. And the East to West rail is also designed to connect Onitsha with Benin. What more do you expect? Anambra should be like Lagos and develop its own income streams.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by gwafaeziokwu: 4:22pm On Mar 31, 2021
Aconomist:
All of them are bad, including Lagos. The only place where we have a well-developed waterfront is Eko Atlantic.

It goes to say then, according to your logic that the only place government exist in Nigeria is at the Eko Atlantic. Since the presence of governance is only determined by how beautiful a waterfront looks.

I will prefer Obiano to take projects he can handle while maintaining balance in spread of scarce fund. If he likes let him erect skyscrapers all over Onitsha, the very day he fails to pay salaries and pension governance will collapse because commerce will be affected.

It is high time we start probing Abuja. Where the hell is all the oil revenues heading to. Federal government has responsibilities and it's high time we hold them responsible for infrastructure decay in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by PROUDIGBO(m): 4:36pm On Mar 31, 2021
One thing we’re forgetting is that you don’t build a impressive row of skyscrapers unless you have the political-economy to sustain it! Had Onitsha the status of say Hong Kong, Monaco or evening Lagos here, then a impressive and awesome waterfront would have evolved organically!

So let’s be fair on Onitsha! smiley
Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Ikinternational: 4:37pm On Mar 31, 2021
Aconomist:
It's not Buhari's job. This is the job of local government.

Who said it was Buhari's job??
You specifically mentioned the criticisms Buhari gets from the SE.

Your insinuation being they should spend more time criticizing their local elected officials

And my point being it comes with the territory of being the president. He's being critiqued for his lack of performance overall

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Aconomist: 4:38pm On Mar 31, 2021
PROUDIGBO:
One thing we’re forgetting is that you don’t build a impressive row of skyscrapers unless you have the political-economy to sustain it! Had Onitsha the status of say Hong Kong, Monaco or evening Lagos here, then a impressive and awesome waterfront would have evolved organically!

So let’s be fair on Onitsha! smiley
I'm not talking about the skyscrapers. I'm talking about paving the area between the water and the land as is done in developed countries. Some cities use wooden planks to cover this area. This development prevents erosion, makes the area safe for tourists, and beautifies the environment. It is a key feature in every riverine city.

4 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Nobody: 4:41pm On Mar 31, 2021
onitsha skyline isn't that bad, while coming in from Asaba via the Niger bridge
Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Aconomist: 4:44pm On Mar 31, 2021
Grgton:
onitsha skyline isn't that bad, while coming in from Asaba via the Niger bridge
The skyline looks good compared to other Nigerian cities. That's not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about paving the river bank.

This small improvement would have a transformational impact on the city.

6 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by horsepower102: 4:53pm On Mar 31, 2021
gwafaeziokwu:
By the way will heaven fall if federal government give an important commercial city like Onitsha a befitting water front? Will Nigeria break if federal government do meaningful projects in the south East just like is obtainable in all regions.

Since the east is expected to do everything by themselves even with low allocation, allow us to prioritise biko.

If successive fed government regimes in Nigeria had built an airport in Onitsha like they promised maybe Obiano would have used the airport funds to do other meaningful things.

I hate it when people will wear wrist watch and be looking for a mirror to check how beautiful it is.

We Igbos have to come to terms with the fact that Nigerian federal government will never do that. That's why our only option is the state government.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by horsepower102: 5:03pm On Mar 31, 2021
What the state government should do is to sell the lands in the waterfront areas to private investors on the condition that they develop the waterfront and provide access to the public to enjoy.

"We don't have any money" shouldn't be an excuse.

Engage the private sector.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Jman24(m): 5:03pm On Mar 31, 2021
horsepower102:

We Igbo have come to terms with the fact that Nigerian federal government will never do that. That's why our only option is the state government.

Brother. People(not just government) are willing to replicate whatever you see overseas here in the south east. But the problem is technical restrictions from the center. Do we really have power to do anything around those water fronts?

You can't even regulate anything concerning crude oil without the so called PIB bill. These are the things Nigerians should sit down and address if they are willing to embrace any semblance of progress

5 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by horsepower102: 5:09pm On Mar 31, 2021
Jman24:

Brother. People(not just government) are willing to replicate whatever you see overseas here in the south east. But the problem is technical restrictions from the center. Do we really have power to do anything around those water fronts?

You can't even regulate anything concerning crude oil without the so called PIB bill. These are the things Nigerians should sit down and address if they are willing to embrace any semblance of progress

Yes I am fully aware that our hands are tied and the federal government is obsessed with control of so many things. I have read the federal exclusive list in details and it made we realize how much backward the federal government has kept us because of it.

BUT

That should never be used as an excuse. The state governors need to use the little powers that they have effectively and to the fullest capacity.

Lagos State has a waterfront development agency. Why doesn't Anambra have one? Is the Federal Government stopping Anambra?

6 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Jman24(m): 5:19pm On Mar 31, 2021
horsepower102:

Yes I am fully aware that our hands are tied and the federal government is obsessed with control of so many things. I have read the federal exclusive list in details and it made we realize how much backward the federal government has kept us because of it.

BUT

That should never be used as an excuse. The state governors need to use the little powers that they have effectively and to the fullest capacity.

It's just like trying to solve a problem from the surface. If you don't address the root cause, you would end up showcasing what seem to be appealing just for a while.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Jman24(m): 5:22pm On Mar 31, 2021
horsepower102:

BUT

Lagos State has a waterfront development agency. Why doesn't Anambra have one? Is the Federal Government stopping Anambra?

The problem of Nigeria has not been in the formation of agencies but enforcement. The bulk of the problem also is in the unclear jurisdiction of which federated system controls what. federal, state or local government.

Infact the country is confused

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by horsepower102: 5:29pm On Mar 31, 2021
Jman24:

It's just like trying to solve a problem from the surface. If you don't address the root cause, you would end up showcasing what seem to be appealing just for a while.

There is a saying that I came across recently "When life gives you lemons, use it to make lemonade". Basically make the best out of what you have.

I believe in fundamentally addressing the root cause of a problem. In the case of Nigeria, it is deeply systemic. You and I know this.

BUT my main point is that we shouldn't wait until things start looking perfect before we can start serious development of our land.

Even as the Jews were fighting wars with the Arabs and bombs falling on their cities, they still continued to develop.
Even as Americans were fighting bitter civil wars, the Lincoln administration was still building the transcontinental railroad.

We cannot wait for everything to fall in place before seriously developing our cities to modern standards.

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Hotice085: 5:30pm On Mar 31, 2021
Aconomist:
Onitsha is one of the most unique cites in Nigeria, famous for it high rise buildings. But the waterfront is completely undeveloped. The first image is the Onitsha waterfront. The second image is the waterfront in Luanda, Angola, and the third image is the waterfront in Singapore.

While other states in Nigeria are building brand new ports and metro rails, Anambra can't even provide a basic improvements to their city. The people of Onitsha are wailing about Buhari, meanwhile their local government is comprised of zombies.

edit: I'm not talking about the buildings. I'm talking about paving the riverbank

For once, I am impressed
Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Nobody: 5:48pm On Mar 31, 2021
Rahkman:
Everyday i wake up i regret being an African ...... we have nothing to be proud about.. you won’t understand till you leave this continent and see how you have been living in a shithole ur entire life... you will be amazed the way the entire world has left Africa behind..... you will be shocked to witness the civilization of the 21st century in full glare
Real talk cry. You then realize the extent of how evil Nigerians leaders are. Western leaders and some African leaders also chop, but at least make sure their citizens have at least 24 hour electricity.

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by horsepower102: 5:52pm On Mar 31, 2021
RuudVanNisteroy:

Real talk cry. You then realize the extent of how evil Nigerians leaders are. Western leaders and some African leaders also chop, but at least make sure their citizens have at least 24 hour electricity.

Nigerian leaders are so horrible that building a common road with open smelly gutters calls for celebration. We are talking about 21st century.

Mind you the roads that the roman empire built 2000 years ago are still there and solid while the ones built in Nigeria wash away after one rainy season. It just an ingrained culture of mediocrity.

4 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by owobokiri(m): 5:55pm On Mar 31, 2021
The state governors do not have the funds to do that kind of project. That's the sad reality. The eastern Nigeria government built the old bridge at Onitsha because it involved the resources of more bigger population as a region... If you embark on that sort of project as a state, you will be stuck there with no resources to do other things, the same way Obiano is stuck with the airport project, while the other areas that need attention suffers. It's a question of fund. That may prove suicidal for a political party that always have to face a do or die gubernatorial contest every four years. The federal government has to get involved..

3 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by owobokiri(m): 5:58pm On Mar 31, 2021
horsepower102:
What the state government should do is to sell the lands in the waterfront areas to private investors on the condition that they develop the waterfront and provide access to the public to enjoy.

"We don't have any money" shouldn't be an excuse.

Engage the private sector.
That's a billion dollars project! Which socalled private investor is going to take such gamble in Nigeria, when he can make double with that, say in the oil and gas sector.
Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by samdunzo: 6:03pm On Mar 31, 2021
funkybroyouknow:
sadly city planning is nonexistent in Nigeria undecided

Due to the nature of local governments, This is why many of the cities have no planning and just spring up wherever and whenever. Imagine even a common mayor that these cities don't have.
Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Aconomist: 6:38pm On Mar 31, 2021
owobokiri:

That's a billion dollars project! Which socalled private investor is going to take such gamble in Nigeria, when he can make double with that, say in the oil and gas sector.

It's not a billion dollar project. Basic paving and piling would cost maybe half the price of a road, which is $1.5 to $3 million per km. (The whole coast is around 15 kilometers, and they don't have to do it all at once) After that, the private developers only have to make restaurants, marinas, shopping, etc.

4 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by horsepower102: 6:56pm On Mar 31, 2021
owobokiri:

Are you telling me that if the state government summoned groups of private investors with varying equity, the waterfront development project can't be built?

I never ever had in mind for one private investor to carry all that burden.

The state government can create a special company with many investors and raise fund to develop the waterfront. All the investors will get equity in the proceeds. This idea is not revolutionary. It's done all the time all over the world.
Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Fabulousl0l(m): 8:21pm On Mar 31, 2021
Aconomist:
This is the man who can't even develop a simple water front in 2021.

Leave obiano out of this
How many waterfront in Nigeria is develop?

River state with all their allocation can't achieve that talk more of Anambra

We will walk before we fly nah

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Rossikki: 8:34pm On Mar 31, 2021
Rahkman:
Everyday i wake up i regret being an African ...... we have nothing to be proud about.. you won’t understand till you leave this continent and see how you have been living in a shithole ur entire life... you will be amazed the way the entire world has left Africa behind..... you will be shocked to witness the civilization of the 21st century in full glare

OH SHUT IT.

TELL ME SOMETHING. How many of the 54 African countries have you visited or researched online?

My guess is LESS THAN 3, if that.

You slave-minded moro.ns always come here with your CNN - conditioned heads, and try to sell us this GARBAGE of Africa being ''thousands of years behind''.

Because you've spent all your life being brainwashed by western media, whom you depend on for your news and information about ''AFRICA'', and whom singularly REFUSE to publicise modern African development or progress, and focusing SOLELY on destitution.

ADVICE: Get rid of your self hatred.

Get your nose out of Dubai, New York, and Miami.

You are an African.

Travel around AFRICA. Travel to Rwanda. Spend a week in KIGALI.

OR NAIROBI.

OR WINDHOEK.

OR CAPE TOWN.

OR DAR E SALAM.

OR MAPUTO.

OR ADDIS ABABA.

OR ABIDJAN.

OR VICTORIA, SEYCHELLES.

OR DAKAR.

Most of you know more about LONDON, and NEW YORK than any of these cities I listed, which are on your own continent.

You an utter disgrace.

You will be shocked at the rate of infrastructural development In these places, plus relative safety and prosperity.

You will be shocked by how much of a good time you could have in NAIROBI or KIGALI or MAPUTO, compared to that Dubai or New York you run to to be treated like a 2nd class person.

CONTRIBUTE as an African tourist to the local AFRICAN economies, and help to build them up further, RATHER than stupidly holidaying ''anywhere but Africa'' out of conditioned, programmed, ignorant self hatred and inferiority complex that makes you think nothing good can be found amongst your people.

As we are right now, THOUSANDS of African-Americans are LEAVING the so called ''thousands of years ahead'' USA for Africa, settling in countries as diverse as Ghana, Rwanda, Senegal, Nigeria, Tanzania, Kenya, and South Africa. Go on Youtube. They are posting videos saying these are the HAPPIEST YEARS OF THEIR LIVES, living in Africa, FREE from police brutality, racism and racial profiling, and the anti-black political structure of your ''almighty'' USA. Their subscribers back in the states post comments saying they wish THEY could make the move as well, and many more plan to at some point.

Africa has the fastest growing middle class in the world.

It is a continent on the rise.

You and your fellow self haters can keep wallowing in self hate and foolishness, while sensible people help build the continent. Go abroad and be whitey's smiley slave.

But don't you dare come in here dissing this great continent, in which 6 of the world's 10 fastest growing economies are to be found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_ATsX3x3Zk

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Rossikki: 9:26pm On Mar 31, 2021
horsepower102:

Nigerian leaders are so horrible that building a common road with open smelly gutters calls for celebration. We are talking about 21st century.

Mind you the roads that the roman empire built 2000 years ago are still there and solid while the ones built in Nigeria wash away after one rainy season. It just an ingrained culture of mediocrity.

There are NO motorable roads built 2,000 years ago that are in existence ANYWHERE on earth without having undergone major rehabilitation.

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Depressed101: 9:27pm On Mar 31, 2021
Rahkman:
mumu talk, those made those places you visit and marvel,do they have too head?

Ask yourself this question, what am I doing to better people's life ...abi you come this life come catch cruise and eat fufu ni?

2 Likes

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by okeyglm: 9:40pm On Mar 31, 2021
Jman24:

lie, all the land and water are own by state. that's the reason fg fighting for water way bill . let's stop giving excuses for all this governors

1 Like

Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Ikinternational: 10:16pm On Mar 31, 2021
This thread reminds me how nairaland used to be.
The good ol days
Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Depressed101: 10:38pm On Mar 31, 2021
Aconomist:
These governors and house of reps members could develop this whole area with one year's salary. All they have to do is pay an international architecture firm, like Gensler, to draw up plans for the area. Complete the land acquisition, and pay a private company like Julius Berger, ITB, or CCECC, to execute the plans. Development is very easy nowadays. There are private companies that can do all the thinking and work for you -- all you need is vision.
one private company do it self...
Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by horsepower102: 11:11pm On Mar 31, 2021
okeyglm:
lie, all the land and water are own by state. that's the reason fg fighting for water way bill . let's stop giving excuses for all the governors

Thank you. No more excuses.
Re: Onitsha: A City With No Government by Rossikki: 11:30pm On Mar 31, 2021
Aconomist:
These governors and house of reps members could develop this whole area with one year's salary. All they have to do is pay an international architecture firm, like Gensler, to draw up plans for the area. Complete the land acquisition, and pay a private company like Julius Berger, ITB, or CCECC, to execute the plans. Development is very easy nowadays. There are private companies that can do all the thinking and work for you -- all you need is vision.

Look at your mentality.

''They, they, they''....all day long.

Finger pointing expert.

It is never YOU.

ALWAYS someone else's fault.

Even when you proffer a so called ''solution'', it is still to get and pay WHITE MEN to do the work. Gensler this, Julius Berger that.

More capital flight.

Why can YOU 'Aconomist', not get together with like-minded folks and form a consortium of Nigerian architects and builders, create an attractive blueprint, write a proposal, and bid for the project?

The paved waterfront you posted from India, was it Gensler that designed it, and was it Julius Berger that built it?

A paved waterfront is basic level engineering.

You can even get local village labour to help in its construction.

The state governments haven't done it because no local firm has come in with a sensible plan and offer at a decent price, not the silly money that will be charged by European firms.

That stuff looks like it was built by a local Indian firm. THEIR PRIVATE SECTOR. THEIR VERSION OF YOU.

And when YOU fail to do the needful, you start blaming the ''black race''.

Get off your lazy, pontificating, self hating backside and do something. Mr ''black race blamer''.

The black skin you despise so much is a BLESSING from the Almighty, and is concentrated MELANIN designed to protect His people from the tropical sun rays on the world's hottest continent, and to prevent illnesses caused by sun exposure.

There is a reason Europeans never settled in West Africa in large numbers.

Without that black skin, you would NOT be alive today, because your ancestors would have perished and become extinct thousands of years ago.

So every day you wake up, instead of feeling inferior because of the colour of your skin, THANK YOUR MAKER for creating you with His great KNOWLEDGE and infinite, matchless WISDOM.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Came To Lagos And Tinubu Went Into Hiding.. / Fire Service: Inactive Emergency Lines On FCTA's Website Put Residents At Risk / 'People Are Massively Rejecting APC 10k At Modakeke, Osun State'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.