Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Humdrum - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Humdrum (3786 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Humdrum by drewsman: 2:52pm On Apr 12, 2021
Mr Bass is in love without even realising it yet.

That's an excellent work OP

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by Finnestgreat: 3:02pm On Apr 12, 2021
One word op and that is AWESOME
Re: Humdrum by Oluwatimi2000(m): 3:16pm On Apr 12, 2021
I always look forward to ur updates.

I hope we get another one this evening.. interesting

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by oluspicy: 3:18pm On Apr 12, 2021
drewsman:
Mr Bass is in love without even realising it yet.

That's an excellent work OP

You can say that man grin

Well, let see how it goes.

Thanks.
Re: Humdrum by oluspicy: 3:22pm On Apr 12, 2021
Oluwatimi2000:
I always look forward to ur updates.

I hope we get another one this evening..
interesting

Let's see how it goes.

It's not easy working on the console.
Re: Humdrum by Ann2012(f): 10:50pm On Apr 12, 2021
Way to go Sam!!!

Thanks for the update boss

2 Likes

Re: Humdrum by xaviercasmir(m): 10:53pm On Apr 12, 2021
wow I am short of word. Samantha is really something else. I like her attitude. Nice update

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by ADUKKY(f): 1:18pm On Apr 13, 2021
I love the fire in Samantha. Jake will soon learn that not all women are like his mom.

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by oluspicy: 4:39pm On Apr 13, 2021
ADUKKY:
I love the fire in Samantha. Jake will soon learn that not all women are like his mom.

Definitely, but it will not be easy to bend Jake.
Re: Humdrum by oluspicy: 3:40am On Apr 14, 2021
Chapter 10

“So what do you think?” he finishes and stares at her.

“I think that before you want to do something like this, what is the essence of it all?”

“What do you mean?” he frowns.

“Well, this charity event, is it because you want to pull sponsors together for a greater good or
because you want to do something good for an organization or something?”

“How does that matter?”

“So I know how this should go. I hear a lot of people saying they want to host charity events… but we all know that’s a cover story for what they intend to get at the end of the day.”

“Look Miss Samantha, we do this every 2nd quarter of the year, we have big sponsors come together and we look out for some organization or some welfare unit in the city that we can help, we help community schools, we go to the orphanages, health wise like medicine, food, even cloths and school like text books, computers, scholarships. It’s a charity event, so all these people come together for the greater good.”

“I see, and majority of the time do they actually see this to the end or after they have gotten all these money, do they actually take it to the source in which it was originally planned for?”

“I am sure they do.”

“Really, do you actually make sure?”

“Well I am not the one directly in charge of it Miss Samantha I have people for that.”

“Or you and others get all this benefits and share it amongst yourselves, go to this communities like you say or one orphanage
center and give them a few gifts, take a lot of pictures because of course the paparazzi would be there in full detail, hold a hand of a child, sit on a broken desk, smear your cheeks in mud and have an interview with the top international body and then you go home, wash your hands and forget about the lot of them. Until next
year, you dress up and have a ball again.”

“What nonsense are you saying Miss Samantha, are you insinuating that we are frauds?’’ he
leans forward, his eyes thins.

Hey easy tiger, down boy.

“No God forbid Mr. Bass, I just need to know. Like I said, I like to peek into the heads of my client, so I know what exactly is best, some are honest about their intentions, some aren’t, they are a bit cloaked. So I want to know… this charity is it based on the profits you really want to get from all these or because truly, you want to make a difference?’’ Because it doesn’t look as though you have any good bone in your body Mr. Bass.

“Look what I desire doesn’t matter.”

“Yes it does, plus it’s also part of your money and I like to do a thorough job.’’

Deep sigh “Of course I want to make a difference so can we get past this and finalize?”

“Fine. The grand event would be holding in your company, a month from now, yes?’’

“Yes.”

“Good. I would draft out the letters and send them to the organizations who are to be present, I am sure your office can reach out to the sponsors since I don’t have that information. I would hold the necessary meetings with the organizations, check out what and what they need and what you would be doing for them. Usually I advice that the sponsors take out time, a week to the event to… what I call a ‘feeling” of these organizations.”

“Meaning?”

“Getting down from your Trojan horse and actually talking and meeting this people, you truly wouldn’t know what they are going through unless you walk a mile in their shoes.’’

“You want me to what, sit and eat with those people, talk to them like more than a minute and what… ask them about their dreams and desires? Don’t be ridiculous, they should be grateful that we actually are coming to their aid,
they mean nothing to me, they should be thanking us… I would rather spend my money on other meaningful things like buy myself a new jet or a house but here I am doing good for humanity… so that is enough.”

“Right. I didn’t expect any less from you’’ Samantha says dropping the book she was
jotting “If that is the way you want it fine. I will carry out what needs to be done, like you said… they should be grateful so I probably should tell them all to write a thank you card to Mr. Bass."

“Are you being sarcastic Miss Samantha?”

“Oh… did it sting?’’

He looks at her “You really do enjoy making me angry don’t you, this game you are playing, not
going to end well with you, today I decided to be nice and let you keep your job, don’t push it.”

“Or today you got schooled on how you can’t keep throwing your wealth and status on someone’s face and you think you won’t get
slapped with it. And you didn’t let me keep my job, Mr. Shelton understood that there are some
things more valuable than others… and I still have my job because I earned it… much less I can say about you.”

“What’s that supposed to mean… I give people jobs, I don’t need to keep my job.”

“Yeah… Mr. Bass almighty, remind me next time to come ask you for a job… job giver, now if we are done here… I think I have to get back to
work.”

He scoffs, shaking his head “I tell you when I am done, not the other way around.”

“You still don’t get it Mr. Bass… I really don’t care what you think you do… this is my office and it is my time and your 11am meeting ended like” she checks her time “ 10 minutes ago. It is 1pm now and I do have other meetings to attend to so if you would excuse me sir, you can take your leave.”

He felt like reaching out and squeezing her mouth, such arrogance. She reminds him of
him, and that was what upsets him so much.

“Fine, since you would be doing this project for me, I would like that I have daily reports and it is imperative that you have the documents you need, since you would be in charge, you would
be the one handling the sponsors at my end too, I don’t like multiple people doing just one job, it helps me keep track of one’s incompetence and let me take the necessary action” he gets up,
adjusting his suit backing her.

“You seem to like that word a lot “incompetence” I wonder, was that word told to you a lot while growing up??’’

He turns around sharply “Are you insulting me?’’

“Oh no God forbid but if the shoe fits” she gives him a rueful smile.

He is staring at her hard “I do not know why you seem bitter… the file business, the leaving you in a city and the coffee spill, it’s all in the past… if you are expecting an apology you won’t get it so you should drop all this since we would be working together.”

“I don’t need it and we are not working together, at this point you are my client and I am offering my services and after this… charity event, we don’t have to ever see each other again… and trust me I can’t wait for that to happen” she
says standing up and giving him her hands.

“Have a good day Mr. Bass.’’

He eyes her hand, then he take it in his “Miss Samantha” he lingers for a second and then lets go.

“I will have my PA contact you… you can come by the office to get what you need and make the
necessary arrangements."

“Right.”

He nods and leaves, she seats on the chair staring at the closed door.

“Thought he would never leave” she rolls her eyes.

******FOUR WEEKS LATER******
“Oh you would look beautiful in this Samantha” Jamie says holding the dress out for Samantha.

“Too red, I rather like something duller.”

Samantha picks out another dress, it was a silver dress with gold shimmering in front, a low back "This would be nice but I think it is
too revealing.”

“Oh this is a killer, you should get this” Jamie tells her dropping the red dress.

“You think? Besides I don’t want to kill anyone, well not intentionally."

“Hmmm, what about a certain someone named Mr. Bass.”

Samantha groans “He, I would kill for free, do you know he has been coming unannounced to my office claiming he wants to check up on
how the project is going, I mean it’s a frigging charity event and he had made it clear that he wants to be very detached from it, so I saw no reason to constantly have him come there, Ibmade sure I made communications with his PA, Secretary and his accountant, the only time I have to speak to him is to have him sign out for money leaving the company. I am glad that we don’t get to sit and talk, he is so annoying, throwing his scent of bossing people, well… when he does that near me… I make sure to
shuu him down like a bad little dog.” Samantha says.

“Hmmm… and when you come to the Bass Industries?’’

“I just go there for the meetings if it’s really important, with him and other sponsors. Oh Jamie it is going to be a beauty, even if I know he isn’t grateful, the organizations, communities and orphanages seem to be happy, you know I had to be with them all the way, the
infrastructures going on, the school items, medical supplies, cloths and food… shelter etc. You have to understand something, to really be
of help you know, which he didn’t want to listen but its fine, they thought he was out of the country and I was representing him personally, but it would have been nice for him to take part in it, all the sponsors too. It is not about giving money to the poor, you have to help them mentally and for them to see that someone truly
cares about them. Oh well... a few of their representatives would be here and the media for their rich egos of course” she shakes her
head.

“I would take this” she tells the cashier who had come to her “And whatever my friend is getting.”

“Oh, Wow! Samantha for real?”

“Yes Jamie, I get to buy you nice things too” she laughs.

Jamie hugs her.

“Aww thank you. So quick question, hypothetically do you in anyway like Mr. Bass?’’

“Do I look like I like Mr. Bass, and why do you keep asking me that of recent?’’

“Well I hear, well books states that opposites attracts and sometimes when people hate each other, they end up loving each other.”

“Well, those books should be taken off the shelves and burned… I don’t like him… hell No. So quit asking stupid questions and lets go, I have to get to the Bass industries to make sure everything is set for tomorrow."

“It’s late Samantha, we close by 4pm remember?”

“Securities don’t leave till 9pm… just a quick stop, I hate to have any surprises. Like to put finishing touches to the place.”

“Okay, so guess I’ll see you tomorrow?’’

“Of course, I have to be there, I guess Mr Bass would fight me on this one if I don’t show...”

“What do you mean you won’t be there” he’ll thunder “ Samantha says laughing.

“Hmmm… Mr. Bass...”

“What?’’

“Oh nothing” Jamie smiles.

Change is the only constant thing, she muses.

Jake Bass leaves the chair he was sitting on, Betty had just left, Sophie ushers Veronica in before closing for the day.

“Let’s go Bass, you have had a long day and I would love to loosen up all your muscles” she
says coming to wrap her hands around his torso.

Aside his other flings, most of them he forgot their names and faces after a day or two. Veronica had been the most consistent, showing up whether he wanted her or not. The last time he had been with a woman had been, what? two weeks ago, after he left the Shelton’s Events company and he and that Samantha of a woman had had another banter.

He hates the way she riles him up, she never does anything he asks her to do unless he asks politely… he felt so angry.

She would only give him daily reports when she pleases and when he calls her to shout over the
phone she tells him to apologize and when he doesn’t she cuts the call.

It was as though she was all out to make sure that he never gets his way when it comes to her, the other day in front of some people, he
had asked her to be quiet and she had done the opposite, they were with the sponsors …

Okay yes, at the end of the day she had gotten good and productive results, and she seems to be good at what she does, he gives her that but still... it was infuriating that he isn’t able to tame her, every other person always wanted to do his
bidding whether they liked it all not, especially women but she… she was something else, it was as though whenever she saw him, she told herself… if he barks she was going to bite.

She makes him so angry and yet, he had found himself thinking about her of late, of her sharp
mouth, the way her nose flares when she was angry, the way she frowns when she is trying to make a point and the way she turns up her nose when she is being sarcastic.

Most of the time, half of it, he is angry when they are in the same room, one time Sophie had asked him if he hated being around her so much he could ask someone else to handle the event. He had said no, she was good at what she did and he wanted it to be perfect. And he wonders if that is the only reason.

And Betty his PA had begun throwing jealous feats, he didn’t know why. She said something
about... the way he looks at Samantha. What the hell was that supposed to mean? He looks at her ‘no way."

He sighs.

He would have to let her go soon, If she can’t put aside personal interests away from work. He told her before and the rest of them, no
strings attached. It was just $3x. But Veronica seemed to enjoy rejection.

He sighs.

Samantha was getting under his skin in a rather uncomfortable way and he didn’t like it. He had
always done whatever he wanted and had his way… in every sphere of his life, being soft was for the weak but Samantha is making him take decisions and do things he would never be caught doing things he had vowed not to and
every single day he tells himself that he was going to push her out the door when she makes him angry and ask someone else to take her place.

Instead he finds himself picking up his phone to call her office for reports and as usual before the call ends… he gets pissed.

“Bass?’’

This day’s, his head isn’t in the right place and having any physical relation with women had
suddenly lost it’s taste, right now… he wanted to be alone. Something was wrong with him.

“Veronica, let me walk you down, would have Todd take you home.”

“But Bass, wait are you seeing someone because for two weeks straight you have turned me down?”

“We are not exclusive neither are we an item and you have no right to ask about whether I am seeing someone or not” he holds her elbow and they go down.

“You know you are an egocentric prick right?”

Samantha would say such a thing. Why the hell was he thinking about her.

“Then you should do well to stay away from me. Todd take Miss Veronica home please” A
surprised Todd nods.

As soon as they drive off, he turns to see her walking into the building.

Speak of the Devil!!!

“What are you doing here so late?“ she turns hearing the voice, then frowns.

“It’s 8pm, not so late, besides I came to make sure everything was set for tomorrow” she told him.

She smiles when she saw that indeed it was.

He didn’t say anything but watch her for another hour as she busied herself in the hall.

“You know you don’t have to stand there, you can leave.”

“Leave you alone here?"

“Like you care, I can take care of myself besides the security is outside.”

“Well since I am here now, I am responsible for anyone under my company, which at the moment includes you.”

“Fine whatever, then you can go back to your office Mr. Bass” she turns away fixing up the flower vase.

“Why, does my presence bother you?”

“Not in the least, but you are hovering and I hate hovers.”

He leaves where he is standing and walks close to her, unsure why.

“Move”

“Why?’’

“Because you are in my personal space. Move Mr. Bass.”

“Or else what, you would slap me again?”

“If I have to...”

Well, maybe he wouldn’t mind the slap. He reaches for her, pulls her to him and crushes his lips to hers again.

He was waiting for the slap to come, but it didn’t.

She pushes him away, then without saying anything she grabs her bag and leaves.

He runs his hands over his face
DAMNIT!!!

He had no idea why he just did that again. But why didn’t she slap him?

Something was wrong with him.

What's your take on this recent development?

TO BE CONTINUED...

2 Likes

Re: Humdrum by Finnestgreat: 10:50am On Apr 14, 2021
Mr bass is already liking samantha without him knowing his true feelings for her,nice update op thank you very much.

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by oluspicy: 12:26am On Apr 15, 2021
Chapter 11

Todd notices that his Boss is in a sour mood.

“Is everything okay sir?”

Bass looks around “Did you see her leave?”

“Yes Sir, she didn’t wait for me to call her a cab, is anything wrong sir?”

“No, take me home.”

Bass sits quietly in the car, his head a maze of thoughts.

Okay, honestly he can’t stand the woman. The first time he kissed her was to shut her up.. now, now he didn’t know why he kissed her and it’s making him really unsettled. He was used to being in control... He shakes the thought out of his head.

“We are here sir, and sir, Miss Veronica asked that I tell her when you are home so she can come over, should I go get her?”

“No Todd, never again” he says alighting.

Todd watches him, he frowns. Something was definitely wrong with Mr. Jake Bass and he has a feeling that it had everything to do with Miss Samantha Brookes.

She had ran out of the place as though she was running away from something.

He looks at the rescinding back of Jake Bass, then he drives away.

As Jake Bass takes a cold shower he thinks to himself. He had never turned down a woman when he could have anyone whenever it pleased him, different ones at that, spoke to them how he wanted, gave them money for their time
together and if he is pleased, he sends them a gift or a flower but that was it. Another face gone, another one another day. And it always baffled him that despite telling them he didn’t want something serious, these women didn’t care, and that was the reason he felt really disappointed with them and treats them as he
does. Hell he had never actually liked any woman well enough to commit to them.

He had told a girl one time when she professed love to him after their weekend together, “Love?

Love is for the weak. Love made my father the fool he was for my mother despite her short comings. I rather carve my heart in stone than
let a woman near it, and no woman can bring me to my knees. I do what I want not them doing to me what they want. No woman alive can make me loose sleep or have my head where it is not supposed to be. I am sorry Tasha-"

“It is Roseline”

“Sorry Roseline, but what we have is a fleeting passing moment” he had told the lady, and when Todd dropped her off, she had cried her eyes out in the car.

He hadn’t bothered. He felt sorry for her but still, it was what it was. Sometimes he had wondered why his father never guarded his heart, he realized that his father had been so in love with his mother that when she was all about ruining him, he still loved her unconditionally and Bass never wanted that. He always wanted to be in control and letting a woman have a key to his heart was like loosing himself totally.

And for years he had built himself around that wall... Being in control but ever since Samantha came into the picture, everything has spiraled out of control and he didn’t like it one bit.

Seeing her tonight and even kissing her, it was strangely unsettling. Women threw themselves at him, begged him, wanted and desired him on a daily, and he was with them only when he cared to, but now, he was… grabbing a woman
and kissing her, when it was obvious that he never thought of her in that way and all they do is fight and quarrel when they were together and this same woman obviously hated his guts and would never want him. It didn’t make sense.

Did he like her?

Hell no!

Was it lust, or the desire to find out what makes her thick.

Maybe!

It was a new thrill for him to have someone immune to his charms not that he was trying to win her over.

Hell, Samantha was never in his radar… in fact, all she was was a constant piss on his parade.

But the mere fact that all his thoughts seem to be going to her of late made him angry...

“But Why the hell didn’t she slap him this time?’’ he groans.

Leaving the shower he goes to bed, and tossed all night.

Well, good thing tomorrow was the Charity Event Ball, after tomorrow he wouldn’t have to see her again and maybe he would get back to
being in control.

“Are you okay Samantha?’’ Jamie who was seated beside her in the car asks.

“Sure, why?”

“Well you have been quiet all drive.”

“I... I erm...”

“You what, is something wrong?”

“Yes, everything is wrong… last night while I was here, Mr. Bass was still here and he-"

“Miss Samantha, you are needed inside” Sophie had come to knock on the car window.

“I would be right there Sophie” she smiles at her.

“And what happened?” Jamie holds her hands.

“I will tell you later.”

She alights from the car.

Bass makes his way greeting and meeting guests, welcoming people and getting acquainted with the welfare organizations that had made themselves available, taking pictures with them.

But all the while he kept looking around. Where the hell was that damn woman that kept him up all night thinking about… about things that didn’t make sense to him.

“Is she here yet?’’ he had asked Sophie like a hundred times.

He wonders if the little incident of last night had scared her off. She was supposed to be here, standing here beside him and welcoming people with him, he had to give some excuse to the people who asked about the pretty nice lady who had been with them throughout the beginning of this charity project over four weeks ago, telling them she would be available soon.

But was that the only reason he wanted her here?

He looks away snapping another picture, then he ushers the guests in and made sure everyone had a drink in their hand as the music began to play.

Then he turns and sees her walking towards him and he felt that thing again, his heart skipping, and this time his throat dries up, he blinks, subconsciously he massages his heart absentmindedly, he frowns.

“Mr. Bass, what a pleasure to finally meet you” someone says turning his attention away.

“May I present Mr. Bass to give the vote of thanks” Miss Andres says.

It’s been a long three hours, they had been dancing, drinking and eating. There had been awards presentations and gifts items gifted, they had been commissions in absentia, lots of pictures and a swam of grateful hearts shaking
hands with the sponsors.

Mr. Jake mounts the stage and begins to talk, there was cheers and round of applause’s... he
thanked everyone for coming, he thanked the sponsors for their contributions and also for coming together for the greater good. He spoke about how they would continue to help the needy more, and do more personally and that
they would not be detached from henceforth.

His eyes and Samantha’s meets. She looks.away.

He speaks well, smiling a little when he made a joke and everyone laughs, then he spoke some more thanking everyone who made this project a success, and as he closes.

He looks at her, he should openly thank her right?

Maybe Mr. Shelton had a reason to thank her but he didn’t. Yes the charity event was great. Okay it was more than great, even the project was a success and even if he didn’t want to admit it, he wished he had spent more time with the organizations/welfare team and representatives who came during the inception of the projects and not just to splash money and wealth on their faces.

As he met and spoke to them tonight, he realized one thing; presence sometimes means more than concealed envelops and Samantha had bridged that gap, showing them that she cared and that she amongst with others are
concerned about their future and their needs.

It was commendable, something that should be publicly appreciated. No wonder Mr. Shelton sees her as an asset. Everyone had praises for
her tonight. He couldn’t deny that... she did a commendable job, worthy of emulation and appreciated. Maybe he would just tell her thank you. just that… call her name and tell her thank you.

He looks at her again, and before he realized what he was really saying.

“Well, I guess the vote of thanks would not be entirely complete if I don’t thank the… beautiful and talented lady who worked endlessly to make sure that this charity project and event was successful, even going knee deep, sparing her time even when she should be resting, maybe.”

They laughed.

“Ladies and gentleman, allow me present to you a woman who is practical, thorough, as beautiful as her outward appearance is, it’s a
reflection of what lays in her heart and this selfless service of hers has brought more smiles to people’s faces and we are thankful for that. So may I present to you, face of Shelton’s Events Management, one of her kind and the anchor of today’s events… the beautiful Samantha Brookes” he stretches his hands towards her.

“Aren’t you going to go up there Samantha?”

Jamie whispers to her when like a few seconds had passed.

“No!”

“Miss Samantha, don’t tell me you are shy now?” Bass says.

“Go Samantha,everyone is waiting?”Jamie nudges her.

Samantha gives her a stiff smile and begins to walk as the clapping and cheers begin, she takes his hands reluctantly and stands by his side.

“A few words Miss Samantha?” he turns to her.

“Sure! So it’s been a—"

Veronica walks up to him “Hello Bass” she says when she leans in to kiss him, he kisses her cheeks instead.

“Hello Veronica” he tells her “I didn’t know you were here.”

“Oh you know me, I just watched you do your thing from the corner and wanted to come congratulate you. This was lovely."

“Yes it was” he turns to the remaining guests leaving “Thank you so much for coming.’’

From the corner of his eyes he sees Samantha speaking to some few people too.

He would want to have a talk with her.

“So, your place or mine” She touches his arm, dusting an invincible speck away from his suit.

“Stop it Veronica” he tells her.

She laughs and stops only for a minute.

He tells her to stop but she laughs and continue, leaning again to kiss him.

“I want to let anyone know that we are together baby so…” she kisses him again as a few women who had been coming to say goodbye
turns up their noses, but they smile at him.

“Thank you for coming” he tells them kissing their knuckles.

Thankfully they were the last of the guests, Samantha was leaving too.

“Excuse me Veronica...” he sidesteps her and begins to move towards Samantha, Veronica, upset now, chases after him and catches up with him.

“Bass, how dare you? I am here waiting on you, knowing all your bullshit and still being here and yet you keep treating me like trash but I am still here and the least you can do is show me some respect instead of letting your eyes constantly roam over one woman and then you leave me hanging to chase after you?” she grabs him.

He looks down at her hand, then he grabs her shoulders “You are welcome to stay the hell away from me Ver, I told you before and I will tell you again. You mean nothing to me. Now calm yourself, I would have my accountant book
you a ticket to go to some nice resort and bask in the warmth of bliss, but you need to get off my turf Ver” he walks away from her.

She runs to him “You are a bastard... I love you, why don’t you love me” she grabs him.

“You don’t love me Ver, you love my money, my status and wealth, the man is just a bonus, be honest with yourself for once” he screams at her.

“You all are just the same, so why aren’t we allowed to treat you as you are?”

He looks to Todd who had come out of the car.

“Take her home” he takes her to the car and opens the door for her “And please don’t contact me again. We are done, being done right from the first day Ver, find someone else.’’

She slaps him “You are a bastard Jake Bass, a rich pompous bastard who has no feelings and regard for a woman” she says entering the car and Todd drives away.

He straightens up to find Samantha standing there… staring at him. Then she turns, disgusted and walks away.

He catches up with her as she flags down a taxi.

“I have to talk to you Samantha.”

“There is nothing for us to talk about Mr. Bass, our business together ended a few minutes ago
and I am heading home’’ she ignores him.

How could he treat a woman like that with no remorse. He was like Veronica said, heartless!

“I just want to talk to you.”

“Really, I don’t see you giving Veronica the time of the day. How dare you talk to her like that when all she has done was love you, apparently."

“You have no right to question my behaviour with any woman, that’s my business.”

“And it’s my decision to not have you talk to me’’ she gives the cab man directions.

“Samantha Brookes?"

“Mr. Jake Bass, you are an arrogant man who is incapable of true feelings and to not feel a hint
remorse for the way you treated that woman, then you are not entitled to even an ounce of respect from another person. Have a good day Mr. Bass, and I hope to never have to see you again.”

He stops her from leaving “And you think you can decided what I would want to do.”

“Oh yes!’’

“You think I am incapable of feeling?”

“Oh you have no heart Mr. Bass, not even close, you are distasteful, proud and its ugly.”

“I have a heart and I do feel… much more than you would ever know” This hurts him for the first time.

“You didn’t feel anything for that woman, not even her tears, did you?”

“No.” he was honest.

“Then you are heartless. Let me go Mr. Bass” she hits his hand, and enters the cab.

He stands there watching her leave as Todd approached him, for the first time in his life, he felt broken.

“Todd, Give me the keys.”

“Sir I could drive you.”

“Give me the keys!!!’’’

She was in bed when the knock came.

She sighs.

Must be Jamie, but it was late. Today has been a good day, only to get soured by that distasteful scene of Bass and Veronica… any man who treated a woman like that.deserved to be treated as poorly too.

Poor Veronica...

Knock! knock!!

She opens the door, surprised.

“You? What the hell are you doing here?”

“To tell you that indeed I am not heartless.”

“Look I don’t care.”

“I went to her.”

“I don’t need you to come to my house at this time to tell me about your sexcapades with a woman. What is wrong with you?”

“You see, the way you talk to me, no one ever does, the way you reproach me, no one ever dares, it makes me so mad and I want to… I
want to... Argh!!! Make you stop. I hate the way you rile me up, I hate the way you make me think about you even when you make me angry. You say I have no heart but I do, and that heart had been in control for years until you came and messed it all up. I don’t like you Samantha, I do not like you at all. But because of you I went to
apologize to her, not because I wanted her back but to apologize for hurting her, disrespecting her… And I told her politely that I didn’t feel anything for her and if we would be friends. I never apologize to people let alone ladies, now I see myself having to think twice addressing staff, even thanking them and when I react, I
feel guilt and other emotions piling up all because of you… and I hate it and I hate you.”

“Then why are you here, to tell me all that? Because all you have ever been was annoying to me, and I think the feeling is mutual because if a man wants respect he must first respect others but you Mr. Bass is a forgotten case. Why are you here if you hate me so much?”

“Because despite that I hate you, I can’t stop thinking about you and it drives me crazy… so crazy” he says by the door.

“Get out of my house Mr. Bass” she breaths.

“No, no not this time” he enters, staring at her, he closes the door, nudging her in gently.

“What are you doing?” Aghast!

“I want to kiss you Samantha Brookes, and this time I want to seek for your permission” he is
close to her now.

“Bass” she says.

He holds her close to him “Can I kiss you Samantha, maybe it would stop my head from spinning nonstop and then it would abate this anger I have within me and just maybe I would stop wanting it or top thinking about you… can I
kiss you?’’

She is speechless, she blinks.

“Samantha?”

Do you think he was granted the permission to kiss her despite the hatred they exhibits towards each other?

TO BE CONTINUED...

3 Likes

Re: Humdrum by Ann2012(f): 5:29am On Apr 15, 2021
JB is in love!!!!

Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by drewsman: 6:53am On Apr 15, 2021
Not only JB, Samantha is also in love. I guess that was why she couldn't slap him the last time he kissed her, she ran away instead

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by oluspicy: 7:24am On Apr 15, 2021
drewsman:
Not only JB, Samantha is also in love. I guess that was why she couldn't slap him the last time he kissed her, she ran away instead

grin grin grin

Well, let's see how things unfolds.
Re: Humdrum by oluspicy: 7:24am On Apr 15, 2021
Ann2012:
JB is in love!!!!

Thanks for the update

You're welcome
Re: Humdrum by Finnestgreat: 11:03am On Apr 15, 2021
Jake Bass the confused lover. Nice update OP

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by oluspicy: 1:34pm On Apr 15, 2021
Finnestgreat:
Jake Bass the confused lover. Nice update OP

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Humdrum by oluspicy: 11:20pm On Apr 15, 2021
Chapter 12

“Samantha?” he calls her name again.

“No. Get out!!”

Shock vibrates through his body.

“if you need validation just because you did a good deed and you expect me to reward you, you are sadly mistaken. If you wait for someone to tell you how to treat people, then you are really pitiful. You should know the difference
between right and wrong, you hurt someone’s feelings, you should apologize, you don’t like someone, you tell them, not to use them just
because… it doesn’t matter if you are rich, your heart is what should matter. I don’t know how messed up your childhood was but I believe you should have done better for yourself. You don’t
come here to tell me you apologize to someone you hurt and expect me to clap for you… No Mr. Bass, you should be ashamed of yourself. Were you doing it for me? Then you are wrong. You should have done it for you… because me? I mean nothing to you for you to think you are pleasing me. And asking for a kiss, how dare you? Get out of my house Mr. Bass… and I hope you treat people better because you want to, because it feels right not because some girl with a sharp mouth had to tell you that” she says out of breath.

“I am… I am sorry, forgive me” he says taking a step back as shame washes over him, he leaves. She closes the door, resting her back to
it. she didn’t realize her hands was shaking, not of fear, but of something else.

Her words tormented him for days, and he even began losing focus at work.

“Mr. Bass, are you feeling well?”

“I am fine. But tell me honestly Samantha… what do you think about me?”

She raises an eyebrow.

“No, –am sorry Sophie” he closes and opens his eyes.

“Well, honestly you are a great boss but sometimes you can be, excuse my forwardness a pain in the ass but we don’t mind it sir, promise.’’

“Let’s assume for a moment that my looks don’t matter.”

“That’s hard not to notice.”

“Just assume, and that I am an egocentric arrogant dxxk. Would you still be working for me, would you like me?”

“Honestly? Hell no!”

He sighs.

“But Sir, really, we don’t complain.’’

“That’s the problem. Sophie, really, I am sorry if I ever come off as arrogant towards you, from
henceforth I would try to do better.”

She looks at him, frowning “Sir, are you sure you aren’t sick?’’

“I have been sick for a while Sophie, for far too long, I just had a wake up call and I realize that… sometimes, you need something to shake you up to know how messed up you have been.”

“Okay sir, thank you sir.”

She keeps staring at him as she leaves.

He is facing his window as he gets up.

Yes, he hadn’t been himself since that night at Samantha’s, her words plagued him and every fiber in his being has been burning of guilt. Everybody he had misbehaved with, every woman, every passing stranger, it was as
though they tormented him in his sleep. He wasn’t a bad person, he never went out of his way to hurt anyone, but he never suffered a
fool and when it came to women, he didn’t care if his actions hurt them, and but now, he regrets everything.

He sighs running a hand over his face... He really wanted to kiss her, he did. But she turning him down and telling him to get out of her house hurt him so much and he didn’t blame her, he blamed himself, he had been an ass, a proud pompous jerk… everything she said about him had been right and he wants to change all that.

For her… and he had no idea why. His thoughts of her had been so strong and un-explainable, and every time he thinks about her his chests hurts… She hated him, that’s what makes it even worse... and for the first time in his life, he
wanted to make things right.

For her, for him... Everyone had taken his bullshits, ate it, and acted like they weren’t hurt about it, but she had called him out... and he was thankful. If she hadn’t come into his life albeit in a dysfunctional way, he would have been the same person he had always been.

A rich Man who had no regard for others, especially women. But now he wants to change all that... and he would.

So he began, changing his attitude and the way he spoke, how he treated people even those he
thought were beneath him. What he told Ver was true, he didn’t have feelings for her and wanted to be her friend… and she accepted. He even came across the waitress at the restaurant, she had walked out on him and he followed her and apologized, the shock on her face was… strange. He felt, relieved.

And there was Betty, she threw a tantrum, but he told her… he was sorry too. Like a burden, his weight lifted. Even his staff looks at him strangely now, wondering if he was feeling unwell.

He had never felt better in his life… all because Samantha had waltzed into his life and told him
to his face how messed up he was… no one cared to, okay maybe they were scared to but because of her… he wanted to be different and
better.

He sighs looking at his phone... It’s been two weeks since that day… and every single day he was tempted to pick up his phone and call her… and he felt the thing he had never felt in his life before..

FEAR!!!

FEAR OF REJECTION!!!

He turns away from the window… He thinks about her a lot, and if only he could talk to her… he was going crazy and he couldn’t explain the feelings he was having.

“Samantha!” he breaths.

“Are you gonna ever talk about it or not?” Jamie walks beside her.

“No”

“Why not?”

“Because there is nothing to talk about.”

“Samantha, it’s been two weeks, what’s the big deal? Look, a guy like Mr. Bass ever hardly changes but in his rarest of moments he had
been emotional open with you… why didn’t you just go for it?”

“Because I don’t like men like him, being vulnerable so that they can get girls like us to feel sorry for them. I mean what, allowed him
to kiss me and then what, I lose my senses?’’

“Maybe that is what you need. Isn’t it obvious he likes you?”

“Mr. Bass doesn’t like anyone but himself, his fat account and his pretty face.”

“You never know… he has changed… the way he talks and acts towards people, people are saying maybe it’s because of a woman or because he is sick.”

Samantha seats on the chair, staring away “It’s not of my business, if he has, good for him.”

“Samantha, tell me honesty, why didn’t you let him kiss you that night, what were you scared off?’’

Silence...

“Of losing myself” she closes her eyes.

Jamie nods “Maybe this time would be different, he seems to like you.”

“No… men are all the same, and he may think he likes me because I am different, I don’t fall all over him, I challenge him and I am a supposed upgrade, not like the women he has around him… like a new game he is just intoxicated
about the idea of me, he doesn’t like me and God forbid I allow myself into that web of confusion.”

“Do you like him, even a little?’’

“No”

“You are lying.”

“I don’t, there is nothing to like and I am glad that I will never see him again. Forget Mr. Bass, I meant it when I told him to leave, he is a proud man Jamie and I bruised his ego, they never heal from that. At least if he is changing, I am glad I was able to teach him some things and I hope it makes him a better person in life, and he needs no validation from me. He should
change for him.”

“But I still think he likes you a lot Samantha.”

“Well you should stop thinking and let’s go have that ice cream okay?”

Samantha gets up.

“What if he shows up out of the blue… what if he wants something more… more than he had ever asked or given someone… what if Samantha?”

“Fairy tales are for children Jamie. And I and Mr. Bass’s classes are over. Glad to know he Aced, but really I don’t care, stop talking about him already.”

“Okay, at least I want to formally admit that I am rooting for you two, take one for the team.’’

“Jamie!!!!”

“Fine, let’s go.”

Samantha lays on her bed… staring at the ceiling. For the past hour she had been trying to concentrate but all her thoughts keeps going back to that night.

“I can’t stop thinking about you Samantha, you drive me crazy… can I kiss you please” she remembers his words as clear as though he was standing beside her.

She closes her eyes to will it away, but she ends up seeing the scene in her mind’s eye, him being close to her as she backed the wall, she could literally hear her heart beating…

And all the while she was praying “please don’t kiss me, please don’t kiss me.”

The first day he kissed her, she was furious and slapped him. The second time, she had been shocked and weak and felt… unsure, and she didn’t know why she didn’t slap him.

She had stayed up for hours, fighting the thoughts seeping into her mind “You like him Samantha, maybe that is why you couldn’t hit
him maybe, just maybe you didn’t mind that kiss.”

She sighs.

And when he now had the good sense to ask her, she had been sacred. Yes scared, that if she had said yes, she would have liked his kiss and maybe kissed him back.

And she didn’t want that, him being close to her almost made her lose her senses, and he being, emotionally vulnerable almost made her want to give into him.

But now, she didn’t come out of a messed up relationship to let some pompous rich dude kiss her, No!.

Mr. Bass was ruthless and heartless, and the fact that he just turned down a girl barely a few
hours ago and went to apologize so he can come get a kiss from another only upsets her more… and yes, she meant everything she said
to him.

But why did she feel bad, why did she feel as though she had hurt him. And then when he left she kept thinking about it, and she hadn’t
stopped for two weeks and she had no idea why… why she felt the way she does.

And every time her phone beeped, she wondered if he was the one. Of course he would never ever call her again.

She had told him not to. He was proud, he wouldn’t, after being humiliated and rejected. He would never call or see her again. She told him not to.

But yet, she missed not fighting with him. It was crazy but… when was the feeling one had ever any reasonable?

She lied to Jamie that she didn’t like him, but the truth was that she didn’t know how she felt.

She knew she despised him at first, hated him later on and now… now when she thinks about him her heart skips and she doesn’t know why.

She sighs...

Now she would never know. It’s been a month now, and whatever change he had, had was probably some sort of show off, that he could do better, it didn’t mean that he actually have changed.

Men like Jake Bass remained pompous, egocentric and heartless… everything she hated
in a man and it was distasteful. She was glad they would never have to see each other again.

But why couldn’t she stop thinking about him?

Bass didn’t mean to do it but every single day he finds himself parked outside her house at night, fighting the urge to go up and knock on her door, but he couldn’t be able to bear her sending him out again... so he would sit there and then wait, till her lights go off then he would go home.

“Wouldn’t you want me to go up and knock sir?”

Todd asks him one of the days.

“No, Lets go” he tells him.

Sometimes he would go by her office, go up to see Mr. Shelton… but he really wants to see her, but he doesn’t.

He should forget about her, but he couldn’t... Whatever thing he was feeling for Samantha was deep, and if only he knew what it was.

“Good evening sir “ Jamie says.

“Oh hi, it is Jamie right?’’

“Yes sir, one and the same” she says as she met him leaving the building, she was leaving too.

“Lovely” he tells her opening the door for her because she had something in her hand, inside it was a ribbon package box, and it was written.

“Happy birthday”

“Oh wow, thank you sir.”

“You are welcome. Have a great weekend, and happy birthday!”

“And you too sir” she says frowning and then she follows his eyes “Thank you sir but it’s not
my birthday.”

“Oh boyfriend’s?”

“No” she laughs “not close, but technically she is like my sister, my boyfriend and parents all
summed up into one.”

“Oh… your partner?”

She scoffs “Oh don’t be silly Mr. Bass” she laughs, realizing herself she apologizes.

“Oh I am so sorry, forgive me.”

“Oh no harm done Jamie, I don’t bite, not anymore.”

She smiles, he smiles back “well, it’s my best friend’s birthday and I just wanted to get her something, I would be going away for the
weekend so I wanted to drop it by before I leave."

“Okay, well happy birthday to your best friend” he tells her.

“Thank you” she begins to walk away and him too.

“Mr. Bass?”

“Yes?’ he turns.

Samantha was going to kill her but, she can apologize to her later.

“Its Samantha’s birthday tomorrow” she says, then she turns and leaves.

He stands staring at Jamie until Todd comes to him.

“Sir, the car is waiting, your flight is by 7pm, everything has been booked, shall we?”

“Change of plans Todd.”

“I don’t understand sir.”

“Neither do I.”

‘’Thank you mom” Samantha says into the phone as her mother wishes her a happy birthday “I love you too” she laughs into the phone “And tell your husband I kind off love him too even if he is an ass” she laughs as her mother scolds her for calling her father an ass.

“Oh what I would do today?? Oh nothing,Jamie is going away for the weekend with her new beau, so I would be home watching movies, eating chocolates and feeling 27..., oh gatto go mum, Jamie is here, I love you” she cuts the call.

“Hi jamie, aww you didn’t have to” she hugs Jamie.

“I know but still, sure you don’t want to travel with us for the weekend” she asks Samantha.

“Three is a crowd babes, no go have fun with that fine stud of a man, I am good, I got lots of calls and messages from work,. See, presents on the table” she points, Jamie ‘wows.’

“That’s a lot.”

“See I am loved so go have fun okay.”

“Okay, happy birthday again Sam” she kisses her.

“Thank you James” Samantha kisses her back, they laugh and she leaves.

It’s barely 10 minutes later when the knock comes to her door.

“Argh Jamie, this girl!”

She opens to find Him there.

“You?!!’’ she breaths.

“Good Morning Miss Samantha, happy birthday!!!” he says giving her a small sealed box.

“Who is this from?’’

“I think you know from who” he walks away, she closes the door frowning, her heart beating as she pulls at the ribbon and opens it to find a smiley face turned upside down with large tear coming from its eyes... she frowns, seeing an
envelop, she reads:

“Hi Samantha, I know you told me you never want to see me again nor talk to me ever but… I swear to God it’s been hard. Really hard. I want to see you again, I want to apologize for all that I have done, I want to quarrel and fight with you about things that don’t make sense, I don’t know, at least I would get to have you in my
personal space...” she laughs.

“I know It’s your birthday, and that well… you are home alone obviously, please at least let me
do something nice for you and if you still hate me because I hate me too, I’ll never bother you again. I promise I am not the same guy you
used to know, I have changed, not for you. I was stupid to think I needed your validation. I changed for me and I swear it’s been great…but at least allow me tell you thank you for messing up my world and making it spin out of control in ways I still don’t understand. Please, let me do something nice for you today and if it’s a yes, I would be waiting in the car, you just have to pack a weekend bag.” He drops a closed eye smiley” I am not ordering, I am begging.”

She finds herself smiling , there is a knock on the door.

“Miss Samantha?”

She is frowning, she hands him the box, “Tell Mr. Bass that he never learns, I will not just up and leave just because he says” she says.

“I know” she turns hearing his voice.

“That’s why I said please.”

She smiles shaking her head.

“I’ll be out in 20 minutes” she turns walking inside, she didn’t see him smile, neither did he.

“Okay, let’s go.”

TO BE CONTINUED

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by Finnestgreat: 12:02pm On Apr 16, 2021
Nice,thanks for the update op
Re: Humdrum by Curiousgirl(f): 7:52pm On Apr 16, 2021
Cant wait for the continuation....really interesting story. grin

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by Ann2012(f): 8:45pm On Apr 16, 2021
I was just smiling like an hediot grin

Thanks for the update
Re: Humdrum by oluspicy: 9:16pm On Apr 16, 2021
Ann2012:
I was just smiling like an hediot grin

Thanks for the update

Please don't ooo grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by oluspicy: 9:26pm On Apr 16, 2021
Chapter 13 (QUARTER FINALE)
For every year for a while, she had spent her birthdays practically alone since she moved
away from home, going to school, getting a job and moving out of state eventually in pursuit of a better life. Most of the times, it has been she and Jamie, they have been friends for as long as she could remember, and when she wasn’t home with her parents celebrating her birthday, she was with Jamie as they screamed at the top of their voices doing a karaoke, and later they cut her cake, and then drive around town having fun and when there was a boy it would be three of them. It has always been like that, and days Jamie wasn’t around, just like today she was going to spend it alone… watch a movie, open her gifts, lick ice-cream and then later at night, she might just go into town and listen to jazz, then come home and eat her cake after blowing out the candle saying wishes that never comes true.

Another day, another year gone, another year added and she wouldn’t feel slightly older. She
felt the same, just the extra number added to her years. And today was going to be one of those quiet birthday days, until Jake Bass happened, showing up on her doorstep.

She shakes her head as she picked up her bag, throwing a few things inside it, she pauses in the process.

“What are you doing Samantha? You don’t like him, you said so, so what if he showed up with a letter telling you stuff, doesn’t mean he has changed, but you don’t care right, not like you guys had anything or felt anything for each
other... you should just tell him ‘Good for you’ and slam the door on his face, what are you doing Samantha?’’ she asks herself sitting down.

Argh!!!

“But really Samantha, there is no harm in going out, besides, you were going to be home alone,
watching boring Tv, eating your cake alone and being lonely while even Jamie is out with some boy wonder and you would be alone...alone...alone” she bites her lips “He did say sorry, and it’s not as if he had any bad intentions, I’ll slap him if he tries to get all Jake Bass on me. He said he just wants to do
something nice for me for a change... no harm right? Besides it’s my birthday, I should cut him
some slack right?”

Jake Bass... is... He is… She bites her lips. Behind that door waiting on her.

“Should I go? Should I not go? Go or not to go. Go or not to go?’’ she bites her lips again.

“Stay home, alone… or go out?

Doesn’t mean I have to like the guy… I still don’t like him. Just for my birthday. Nothing else, accept his apologies and that is it.” she grabs her bag, her phone, takes a deep breath and opens her door.

Todd and Bass still stood there waiting.

“Let’s go.”

“So where are we going to?”

“Well, can I be honest?” he turns to her, yes, he missed seeing her face, her stubborn chin and the way she is always on guard. He was glad he ran into Jamie , if not he wouldn’t have been here and neither would she. He wasn’t sure if he could get to her, wasn’t even sure she would want to even look at his face, but he had to try, sitting behind his desk and wishing he could call her never did anything, tossing at night thinking about her never did anything either… he wanted to see her, talk to her and not even trying to make that happen was frustrating.

Jamie was God sent and without thinking changes his plans and he was finding his way to her place.

“Better try and fail than not try at all and be wondering...what if?” He had asked himself what he was thinking but… he was done being the stuck up, rich billionaire who has been in control, he just wants to be Jake Bass, who despite being rich wouldn’t mind having to tilt to the side and for Samantha, he didn’t know how she fit into this but he would be damned if he doesn’t find out and this was him, finding out.

“Erm, you are staring Mr. Jake Bass” Samantha says.

“Okay I was intending to go away for the weekend and already made plans to that effect so… when I found out it was your birthday I wanted to do something nice and-’’

“Who told you it was my birthday, you don’t have that information?”

“Erm it’s a highly classified information and if I tell you I would have to kill you” he winks.

She smiles “Oh, really now…” she thinks … was it Mr. Shelton? Shelly … hmm… JAMMIE!!!! I am going to kill her.

“Oh I think I know your informant.”

“Nah you don’t, but anyways, I already had flight booked and a hotel etc… it was just going to be
a quiet trip and I figured… why don’t I book another and ecetera.’’

“Where are we going to Mr. Jake Bass” Samantha’s mood changes.

“Please Samantha, just let me make this day for you… almost perfect, it’s your birthday right… I
just want you to have smile on your face, if that’s the only thing I do today, please I would love to. I know we started off on a wrong foot, we literally have our boxing gloves on most of the time and I admit it is partly my fault… I am
sorry Samantha Brookes, really and let me make it up to you... today, with this… I really am not the person you met a couple of months ago… I took your advice and I am glad I did… let me thank you, please?”

What’s the worse that could happen right?

“Okay”

“Okay”

“Still didn’t tell me where we are going to?’

“For starters… all the way up” he smiles as Todd pulls at the airport.

“Trust me?’’ he gives her his hand.

“Oh boy, do I have a choice?”

“Technically no!!’’ as she places her hand in his, he links it with his and they walk into the airport. in less than a few minutes they were in the plane and flying. In less than an hour they had landed.

“You didn’t have to fly us first class you know?’’

“I know, I wasn’t trying to impress you with anything, you don’t get swayed like that… but I already booked it before I came to you.”

“And how did you know I would come with you.”

“I didn’t, I took a risk… glad I did” he says as he ushers her into the building.

“So what’s next?’’ she says wowing to the beauty of the hotel... "what is this place?”

“It’s one of the best hotels in the country if not the world, only the elite can come here, special
delegates from the governments, Princes, Queens ecetrera… anyways they are having a ball tonight, and I was invited and you my dear, I would love to have you as my plus one.”

“Are you serious, you didn’t mention anything about it… have just jeans and tops and a dress... most definitely not a ball-friendly attire” she says frowning.

He laughs…”you can wear anything and still look pretty” he tells her.

“Right, and who would be in attendance of this ball?”

“Oh... some special delegates, Queens, Princes, Presidents... the whole elites... the royal family
maybe” he smiles.

"Oh no Mr. Bass, you go enjoy your ball while I enjoy this magnificent hotel… there is no way I am going there wearing jeans” she says.

He laughs “Nonsense!! Don’t worry, that is no problem. So tell me, what do you want to do in the meantime?”

“Why?”

“Well… for the little I have known you, you would hate to be imposed upon, for me, I would love to take you out on a boat cruise, see the Eifel Tower, early dinner at the most amazing restaurant, flowers, chocolates and you know… but that Is me… but I would want you to do what you want… so tell me.”

She looks at him.

Yes, this wasn’t the Bass she knew… seeing him asking her opinion was strange, very strange,
she had to smile.

“Anything?’

“Yes anything”

“Even if It’s utterly ridiculous?"

He bends his head to the side “Yes but would I regret this?"

She laughs “You won’t… C’mon’’ she drags his hands and pulls him back outside as the doors opens up for them “Wait… our bags?’’

“They would attend to them... take it up to the rooms and stuff” he says indicating to the waiting men.

“Great, do you guys have a map for visiting tourists?’’

“Yes ma’am. You need it? We have special guards and chauffeurs for you Mr. Bass, a security detail that can take you anywhere you want and-"

“Nope, he wouldn’t be needing that” Samantha cuts the waiting man.

“But Mr. Bass, it isn’t safe for someone with your prestige to be moving around town unguarded and without any detail sir, please
wait, I call them for you.”

“Mr. Jake Bass?’ Samantha looks at him “You said anything."

He sighs sinking into her eyes “Its fine, thank you. I guess she would be my guardian angel today” he says taking the map from the man
who is dumbstruck.

“Yass!!!” Samantha exclaims pulling him to the gate and out.

“So what next Samantha?“

She turns to look at him, he was all suited up, very classic man. Good thing she was on jeans and top and wedges. she takes off her jacket,
and puts her hair up in a ponytail, she had a one hand bag she slashed over her shoulders. Then she turns to him.

“Do you trust me??’’ she was close to him now.

He frowns.

“Now what?”

“Do you trust me?”’

“Do I have a choice?”

She laughs “Technically no" she winks at him, it warms his heart.

“Fine I trust you.”

She raises her hand up touching his suit. She removes his button and places her hand into it, she didn’t mean to touch his chest it just
happened , she blinks, then she quickly removes his suit off his shoulders “I need you to take this off.”

He does so reluctantly… she looks at him placing her finger to her jaw tapping tentatively.

"Erm, not yet’’ she unbuttons two buttons of his white shirt to reveal his neck bone and a slight teasing of his chest, then she takes his hands and rolls up his sleeves.
While she was doing this, she was smiling.

Done, she steps back... Her heart skips a beat. There was something
sexy about a guy wearing a white shirt with a rolled up sleeve. Maybe not any guy, maybe there was something sexually appealing with Jake Bass with a rolled off sleeves.

“You are staring” his lips tugs into a smile.

“Was not” she grabs his jacket and hers and drops them over her bag.

“Lets go... Mr. Jake Bass."

“Hmm now that I am not looking like the billionaire that I am, how about we drop the Mr. to my name.”

“You first.”

“Samantha”

“Bass, I like Bass” she flags a taxi and bends, showing him the map she took from Jake’s pocket… pointing to it. Then she straightens up, opening the door.

“Lets go champ.”

“Where to?”

“Oh… to heaven!!!’’ she laughs as they slid into the car and the car speeds away. Ittakes them into the city.

They ate from the road side, danced to the music of people playing drums, guitar and
tambourines on the streets, chased birds in the square, stopped to buy ice-cream and then she messed up his nose in the process, he chases
her to get revenge, listened to poetry and then later jazz.

They went to the park, they rode the car-hanging-cart, he won her a teddy bear shooting balls, she won him a baseball cap... and when he wasn’t looking she took a coloured pen and wrote ‘Bass’ on it.

When they left the park they went karaoke-ing... he didn’t want to sing so she stepped on stage... and bellowed out to the songs off keys. Got everyone laughing, including him.

He still wouldn’t sing, so she clears her throat and tells the crowd “My husband is shy ladies,
can you please bring him up stage, he is a horrible singer but I bet he would make you smile.”

Then everyone cheers him on… he still wouldn’t get up “Do it for our twins?”’ she gave him puppy eyes as she touches her stomach.

“C’mon man, babies love songs while they are in the womb, I would know, I have children of my
own” a lady beside him says.

‘‘C’mon daddy!’’ Samantha coos.

Bass shakes his head, mouthing “oh I’ll get you back for this” to Samantha, but she was laughing mouthing back “Oh you can try…”

When he mounts the stage, the cheering stops as he stares into the crowd.

“Don’t worry husband, we won’t laugh… hard, I promise” she screams.

The cheering continues “Well... this is for you...WIFE” he says.

The crowd goes “Awwwwn!’’

Samantha was having a good day, her plan was to laugh and boo the hardest when his cricket voice comes over the mic, she grabs an apple and began to eat… waiting for the horrible voice.

Then he picks a song, by Brain Adams and began to sing.

The whole room grew quiet.. she didn’t notice when her mouth hangs open… she blinks.

When he was done… he gets a standing ovation… he takes a bow… thanks them and walks down with people clapping his back and
whistling, he stops right in front of her.

“So… WIFE, you were saying? I wonder what we should name our twins... Sam and Jake Jnr, perhaps or no I have a better idea, ‘Never-
assume-anything for the boy and the girl... you-should-see mommy’s-face-right-now” he winks
at her . then he takes the apple from her hand and takes a bite, his face breaking into a wide smile.

“Why didn’t you tell me you can sing?"

“You never asked” still smiling.

“Whatever” she turns away, feigning anger, grabbing her teddy, puts the cap over his head
and pouts.

They are walking outside now, a man carries a basket of roses on his bike calling people to buy, he stops him while she is flagging a taxi, she enters waiting for him, he slid’s in beside her.

“A beautiful rose for a beautiful lady” he gives it to her, she shakes her head.

“Okay, I will just throw it out the window then.”

He winds down.

“Oh don’t you dare, its mine. Thank you’’ she take it, sniffs it and smiles “where to now?’’

She is smiling and winking at him “the skies.”

They combed the city within five hours... and during this time, while she laughed, danced, jumped and chased him with a duck. He found
himself laughing more, being free… he found himself feeling things he had never felt.

And there was a moment when she stood close to the rail while they threw food to the ducks… when she laughed as a little child jumped on her body because he was scared, when she went about as though she didn’t have a care in
the world… when she held his hands and ran with him ,causing him to chase after her.

There were moments when he loved the peace and serenity she brings to him, how despite disrupting his perfect world, he liked the beauty within the mess… the beauty that had a heart, a face, a name-Samantha!

He touches his chest, rubbing it for the hundredth time that day.

“Samantha, what are you doing to me” he breaths staring at her as she stares at the sky…. without thinking he pulls the rubber off her hair and allowed it flow.

‘’Hey, what are you doing?”

‘’Letting it breath, sometimes things being out of control is just the best thing that can happen to a person” he tells her, they were standing close now, face to face.

“What do you mean?"

“I don’t know Samantha I swear I don’t know’’ he whispers, he touches her face... caressing it.

Her heart is beating fast, the way he was looking at her… she read him before she sees him lean towards her.

He was going to kiss her... he was going crazy staring at her. Then his phone rings.

Sighing...

“Yes, sure,okay”

She bites her lips… saved by the phone.

“We have to head back, have less than 30minutes to be at the ball and we still haven’t gotten you a
dress.”

“A dress?”

“A ball worthy dress Samantha.”

He takes her by her hand and flags a taxi for them.

He waits for her as she tries some cloths on, she takes 45 minutes before she could pick one out.

“Done?”

“Yes”

“We’ll take it.”

“Wait, I thought you said you renting it?’’

‘’I lied”

“Bass?’’

“ Look, it’s your day, take it as a birthday gift...” he says as they leave the boutique.

“To the Masquitic Hotels and Suites please “ he tells the driver.

“Thank you” she says.

“No Samnatha,thank you.”

As they got into the hotel, they were shown their separate rooms… he told her to meet him downstairs in a few minutes once she is
dressed.

It’s another twenty minutes and he is still waiting, the ball is in full swing… he was going to send someone for her when he turns to see her walking down… in a beautiful red dress, her hair poured to her left shoulders and a red lip stick to match her dress.

This time,his heart did backflips... and he knew, without a doubt, he didn’t just like her, that it wasn’t lust either. He had fallen in love with this woman who has turned his world into a beautiful chaos, and for the first time in his life… he wanted it all.

“Samantha, I want to tell you how I feel.”

How do Bass feel like?

TO BE CONTINUED.

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by Finnestgreat: 10:04pm On Apr 16, 2021
Awesome update,really loved this and also the karaoke part

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by Ann2012(f): 10:05pm On Apr 16, 2021
Wow!!!

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by xaviercasmir(m): 10:58pm On Apr 16, 2021
Wow bro see as you are making to giggle like the day I got my first love lettergringringrin . Nice one bro

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by smartfashion(f): 1:34am On Apr 17, 2021
Oh My God....am in love already.nice one bro

1 Like

Re: Humdrum by oluspicy: 1:58am On Apr 17, 2021
smartfashion:
Oh My God....am in love already.nice one bro

With who sis? grin

Thanks
Re: Humdrum by oluspicy: 1:59am On Apr 17, 2021
xaviercasmir:
Wow bro see as you are making to giggle like the day I got my first love lettergringringrin . Nice one bro

First love letter from who? grin
Re: Humdrum by xaviercasmir(m): 6:00am On Apr 17, 2021
oluspicy:

First love letter from who? grin
Must I say everything here gringringrin
Re: Humdrum by oluspicy: 10:14pm On Apr 18, 2021
Chapter 14 (SEMI FINALE)

WARNING!!!: If you are not comfortable with erotic scenes don't read this episode, thanks.

Samantha was nervous walking down, she knew the ball was in full swing , she could hear voices and she saw herself from the window, the cars and people who trouped in dressed elegantly. She looks at herself in the mirror and wonders if she was not over dressed.

It was a simple red gown, but beautiful nonetheless. He didn’t see it and yet he paid for it. She wasn’t used to getting expensive gifts
from anyone, well... she never liked to feel indebted to anyone, so she never received. But he said this was a present, no strings attached.

She sighs, he was obviously waiting for her downstairs and she wonders if she should go or keep stalling. She looks at her dress again, she hopes he likes it. Then she makes up her mind, leaves her room and takes the staircase, one at a time.

She saw him standing at the foot of the stairs, waiting for her, she saw him turn and then there was a look in his eyes she swore she had never seen before... he keeps staring at her and she almost felt weak walking down the stairs.

That saying “If looks could kill” didn’t lie, but in this case, his looks wasn’t killing her, it was making her yearn for what she could see in his eyes and yet not understand.

Jesus! Mr. Bass, why does your look right now send shivers down my spine?

Trying not to fall she walks down to him as he watches her.

She is standing face to face and she is wondering why he isn’t saying anything yet. Then he held her hand, bringing her close to him as his face rests close to hers to brush her cheeks with his lips as a form of greeting, then he whispers into her ears “Samantha, I want to
tell you how I really feel.”

“What do you really feel?” she looks up staring at him.

He opens his mouth to bare it all out, then.

“Mr. Bass, how wonderful to see you again!” a woman dressed royally says to him as she makes her way into the waiting area with her detail which was more than a dozen people, she reaches him as he takes her hands and kisses it.

“Your Excellency, it is a pleasure indeed to be invited again to wine and dine with you...’’ they smile.

“And who is this beautiful lady?’’

“She is... Samantha Brokes, my erm…’’ he trails off.

“A very good friend of his” Samantha says smiling to the elderly woman.

“Well, I hope not for long” she smiles to Samantha “Bass, she is beautiful, don’t wait too long to do the needful.’’

He laughs , oh I don’t intend to...

“Shall we?”

“Yes we shall”

They were ushered into the ballroom and then everything takes on full swing.

He introduced her to guests. Normally, his person before would have left the woman he came with to herself while he spoke business
with guests, but him now? he didn’t want to do it the same. He wants her to be a part of his world as he would want to belong to hers, so
throughout the ball, he didn’t let her go away without him following her, letting her hand rest on his arms, danced with her, laughed with her, and danced more with her.

It was almost 9pm when the ball ended, and they bade their goodbyes.

“Tired?” he asks her as they make their way upstairs.

“No’’

“So from a scale of one to ten, how was your day today?’’

She is smiling “well, let’s see, I flew out of town to this beautiful hotel meant for royals and high elites, I get to walk through the streets, danced, ate from the streets, screamed’’ she laughs.

He smiles “and you didn’t tell me you know how to sing” she nudges him.

“Well you didn’t ask, I didn’t say. But I loved the epic look on your face though, classic” he gave her the okay sign.

“Oh well, oh the jazz, the park, the fun, oh the ball, magnificto!!! The people… I can’t believe I met the royal family and even danced in the same room… and this beautiful dress… which I love, its lovely, thank you.”

“You look breathtaking beautiful in it.”

She blushes “so I’ll say 11."

“I said on a scale of ten, how come you picked eleven.”

‘’Because, by far it is the best. Thank you, at least I wasn’t alone today.’’

They are on their floor now… their rooms a few doors apart.

“You are welcome, but one more thing is left.”

“What?’’

“You’lll see.”

He walks her past their doors, heading to the roof.

“Where are we going?”

“Oh you’ll see, be patient.”

“Bass?’’

“Just one more thing, I promise...” he smiles as they get on the roof, with a see through glass over head.

In the middle had two chairs and a table… and as soon as they drew close, the lights comes on to show a dangling chandelier over their heads with different beautiful lights, lighting the floor.

“Oh my God, this is beautiful” she exclaims. He pulls out a chair and tells her to sit.

“I hope this isn’t much, I would have gone all out but I know you like the simple things of life so I said…why not have a late birthday dinner, out on the roof top... so viola!!!’’

Samantha is speechless “You really didn’t have to.”

“I know but still, I wanted to do something nice” he sits down.

Suddenly a chef walks in carrying a cake… not so big, and then two others follow him behind singing as they each carried a tray of food, singing a ‘happy birthday’ while the one in front carried the lighted cake inscribed “Happy 27th Samantha.”

“Oh my God!!!’’ she closes her mouth with her hands as she laughs throwing back her head.

It pleased him that he could make a girl happy without having to do the extra ordinarily… it was a strange and thrilling feeling that was new and beautiful at the same time.

He joins them to sing for her and claps too when they were done.

“Thank you so much” she tells them as they leave.

“So, make a wish” he urges her.

She stares at him… “My wishes never come true.”

“Maybe it might, you never know. Make a wish.”

Okay, here goes. she closes her eyes and then blows out the candle.

“What do you wish for?’’

She smiles “if I tell you, I would have to kill you."

“Damn, Tushei Samantha!! But fair enough, here” he cuts the cake and then forks it, placing it close to her mouth “You know in India, you
are allowed to feed another sweets and cakes."

“We aren’t in India.”

“Still. AHHHH, open up now.”

She did eating it, “Now my turn.”

They share a smile.

Samantha is staring at him while they eat the cake and then the food laid out for them, listening to the music playing in the background
and she is wondering if she is dreaming. This was the same Bass that she fought all the time for the little time they worked together. This was the same man who she couldn’t stay in the same room with all the time he tried to control
and enforce his will and didn’t care about a woman’s feeling.

Now he was being so different she could swear he wasn’t the one. He was not throwing into her face that he is rich and wealthy but rather he was doing simple little things for her, enjoying the streets with her, eating at the road side, chasing ducks and singing karaoke at a pub bar.

Now he was… sharing a cake with her that he ordered just for her and they were actually enjoying each other’s company.

There was no doubt he really wasn’t the same person and she had to admit, this New Bass threw her off guard, and now she wasn’t so sure if when she said she didn’t like him, it was true anymore, maybe she was just lying to herself.

Done, they leave and he walks her to her door, his was opposite.

“Thank you for a wonderful day” she tells him... as she slids her card to open her door.

“Thank you for showing me the other side of the divide Samantha” he smiles.

They are staring at each other.

“Goodnight”

“Goodnight”

She turns away... He wants to stop her… but he doesn’t… he wouldn’t want her to feel as though she owes him and he would want to take advantage of that. No.

He turns away.

“Bass, earlier, you said you wanted to tell me something,what was it?”

“It’s nothing.” He lies.

“Okay, goodnight.”

“Sleep well Samantha.”

It is 11pm and neither of them could sleep. Showered and in bed, he keeps thinking about her.

“I can’t stop thinking about you Samantha, I can’t. Dear Lord!!!’’

He turns to his side, sighing he gets up and walks to his balcony, he gets a bottle of water and then drinks it... just staring out.

Samantha isn’t asleep either.

“What did he mean he wants to tell me how he felt, what did he really feel, why didn’t he say?’’

She turns away, trying to sleep, but every time she closes her eyes… his face pops up, and tonight that near-kiss they almost had.

Why didn’t he try to kiss her at the door again?

Argh!!

There was no denying it, she had feelings, strong feelings for him and she didn’t know what to do about it.

She gets up and walks to her balcony.

She hugs herself, closing her eyes.

“Oh Bass, what have you done to me?”

She couldn’t sleep.

And neither could he.

So they laid awake 12:23pm.

He gets up from his bed, he was just going to go over there and ask how she was doing, and if she needed anything.

And she gets up from her bed, she would erm… just go and ask him when they are leaving, tomorrow or the day after tomorrow.

They both open their doors the same time and stare face to face at each other.

“I was erm-‘ she began.

“I just wanted to erm-" he says, they both trail off.

“I can’t sleep” he admits.

“Neither can I.”

“Why?’’

“Because” he looks at her “Because" he runs his hands over his face.

Screw it!! He was going to tell her.

“Because Samantha you are driving me hella crazy, and I don’t know how much I can take being sane when all I want to do is to kiss you and tell you how I feel” he says leaving his door and crossing to hers.

“Bass” she breaths as he is standing face to face with her.

“I swear it ever since I saw you… you got under my skin and made me go mad because you are
different from every woman I know, at every turn you challenged me and I hated it, I hated you, because you were turning my world upside down with your stubbornness but now I realize that I had to meet you to understand that one just needs a lil chaos to see that things needed
to be changed. Samantha I don’t know how it happened and why but I am happy I got here... I was proud of myself before but now I know that I lacked a lot of things and it’s thanks to you, I used to wonder why my father was that way he was because of my mother now I understand that love can change a man and make him do things he wouldn’t have ordinarily done. Samantha… I am crazy about you… this isn’t mere like, this isn’t infatuation, when I see you my heart skips, my nights are filled with you and I want to let you know that I have fallen deeply and insanely in love with you and I didn’t realize that until today. And I know I am a jerk and I still need to learn a few things but I would try to be a better man, I just need you to give me the chance to prove that… what I feel for you right now, right this moment is real.” He says.

She is speechless “Bass I… I...”

“You don’t have to say anything to me, you may not feel the same way it’s okay, I’ll wait. But this is how I feel, I am in love with you Samantha Brookes that is how I truly feel” he is touching her face...”And I want to kiss you right now but I won’t if you tell me not to.”

She closes her eyes and then opens them.

This is real right, this right here. It was real right?

‘’Samantha?”

She nods her head “Yes, yes you can kiss me Bass.”

Smiling he leans and kisses her slowly, savoring her lips he kisses her until both of them are out of breath. Then he lets her go, his head resting on her forehead.

“If I don’t leave now I would want something more” he kisses her again and steps away, Samantha stops him.

“Stay, please.”

“Sure?”

“Yes”

She steps away from him to enter.

He is standing there while she is staring at him... he leans to kiss her again as she comes closer to him, turning her back to the door he
kisses her, as she wraps her arms around his neck.

Lifting her off her feet bridal style he takes her to the bed, placing her gently he lays down beside her.

“I don’t want to ruin this, I don’t want this to be like others, I want to do this right because I don’t want to ever lose what I am feeling. I love you Samantha, I know you might not love me but I know you like me a lil” she laughs.

“Yes just a tiny bit” she teases.

“Go out with me, be my girlfriend, be mine... and I will be yours. You and I, exclusively, no pretends, no half-truths. I want to share what I
have with you, be in your world as you would be in mine. I want all of you Samantha, all of you... say yes!!’’

“Bass, this is too sudden."

“I know, but what I feel is that my head, mind and body want is you and I can’t keep waiting anymore for something else to happen. I want you, not only in my bed, but in my heart, my life, my everything. I have never felt this way before Samantha, I love you and I can’t stop saying it, just say yes please, and I promise to tell you ‘I know how to sing next time...” his lips curves into a smile.

Samantha laughs... do I even have a choice?” she teases.

“Technically no” he says.

‘’Hmmm, I am a handful.”

“I know.’’

“I will give you hell.”

“I know.”

“I will-”

“Sssshh! I know, and I don’t care, I just want you, all of you… the mean Samantha Brookes who
broke me.”

Samantha is laughing loud now.

“Well, let me pity you since you are begging and say yes so you don’t go crying that I am mean, it’s not good for my resume” she says nudging him.

He laughs “Oh is that right? So can I kiss my girlfriend now?”

“Well I suppose that’s what couples do right?”

“Hmmm, yes, that and so much more” he kisses her, rising to lay on top of her, caressing her face.

They kiss for a long time, and all she felt was warmth, a burning desire to be held and touched the way he was doing now.

And everything he was doing was sending sparks from her toes to her head. She places her hands flat to his chest touching him there, as he ran his hands down her legs, separating cloths from flesh, caressing her thighs, kissing her more passionately, taking his time, loving every part of her body, kissing , kneading, touching until they rid themselves of the clothing they wore.

Naked, he kisses every inch of her body, loving it like he had never loved any woman’s before... every touch send desire shooting through his body and making him want more, every moan escaping from her lips makes him want to drink from her even more, and so he drinks, savoring her lips, kissingbher neck all the way down, taking a fold in his mouth, suckling on each nipple till he felt her ache towards him, finding his way down, he separates her legs, placing his head in the middle, he kisses her lower lips till she begged him and shatters from orgasm... finding his way back to her lips, his member hard and ready he slowly taps at her gates, feeling her warmth, leaning into her as she wraps her legs around him he enters her, slowly, wanting to enjoy the moment, watching her quake and squirm beneath him, ache for ache, thrust for yearning, moan for groan, slowly taking her and each other over the cliff and reaching the heights of orgasm... he holds her tight as they fall together not letting go till they both reach back done, heavily breathing into each other’s mouths as they kissed back to normalcy.

“I can’t feel my legs,” she laughs kissing him more, running her hand over his body while her legs were still wrapped around him.

“Yes, its shaking” he bends to kiss her knee, then he rolls off her, pulling her with him, his hands caressed her back “I think it’s my weight, am sorry.”

She shakes her head "No!! it’s what we did” she kisses his jaw, curling on his body as she caresses his chest.

“This moment right now gives me peace that I have never felt before Samantha, so much.”

They sleep in each other’s arms, and then sometime in the night…they made love again and again.

WATCH OUT FOR THE FINAL EPISODE YOUR COMMENTS TO UNLOCK IT!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Ugly Husband (18+) / Story : Remember To Forget Me / These Animals I Call My Neighbors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 231
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.