Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,826 members, 7,817,410 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

Ribadu's Expensive Gamble - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu's Expensive Gamble (3814 Views)

Ribadu’s Appointment Is An Insult – Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 10:01am On Apr 18, 2011
The biggest loser in this election IMO is Nuhu Ribadu and I think he has just graduated from the school of Nigerian Politics. He was traded as a commodity by Tinubu, his party could not even win him Lagos votes, only osun state went for Ribadu. Ribadu lost his ward, lost his local govt, lost his state and was a distant 3rd in Adamawa state and almost all states in the country.

the polling unit few meters from his family house , Buhari had 260 votes and Ribadu 85 votes. I have said it several times that Ribadu needed a political base to be relevant in politics, he should have waited to build a structure of his own, worked with Buhari to bolster his credibility and have a base in the North so as to help his political future. He lost the elections in a disastrous way and furthermore a great deal of damage has been done to his integrity, credibility and ego. There is no harm losing an election but Ribadu IMO has gained nothing in this adventure but damage to his credibility. If the end justifies the means like most of his supporters subtly imply when they justify his running under ACN then Mr Ribadu will foerever find it difficult to ever govern Nigeria.

As for Tinubu, I think he has been exposed as the greatest hypocrite in Nigerian politics and i need not say more.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by ektbear: 10:19am On Apr 18, 2011
Ribadu has 2 million probably unrigged, legitimate votes. This is not a bad accomplishment. He has raised his national and international profile, and I think will serve again in public office.

Regarding your Buhari comments, Buhari has been exposed as a very poor planner, poor strategist and tactician, and a person too arrogant to reach out and build alliances.

The results of this election would have been very different if the alliance had been sealed, and the ACNs finely oiled election machinery had gone to work. Even adding Buhari and Ribadu's #s alone, and lopping off about 4-5 million from GEJs inflated SS/SE votes should tell you what could have happened if Buhari had been more humble. Not to talk of the necessarily higher voter turnout that'd have occurred if the ACN had put its machinery in place.

Ultimately, no one can be blamed here but Buhari. Failing to plan is planning to fail. He wasted a golden opportunity through either incompetence or arrogance (or both.)

Tinubu I suspect looked out for the best interests of himself and his party. There is no reason for him to stick out his neck for the stubborn and frankly not-that-impressive candidacy of Buhari.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by heilige(m): 10:23am On Apr 18, 2011
It will be better for Ribadu to move to CPC, and maybe he might make it in 2019. As for 2015 Tinubu will still be dictating.
All these thieves are scared of Ribadu and Buhari.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 10:35am On Apr 18, 2011
ekt_bear:

Ribadu has 2 million probably unrigged, legitimate votes. This is not a bad accomplishment. He has raised his national and international profile, and I think will serve again in public office.

Regarding your Buhari comments, Buhari has been exposed as a very poor planner, poor strategist and tactician, and a person too arrogant to reach out and build alliances.

The results of this election would have been very different if the alliance had been sealed, and the ACNs finely oiled election machinery had gone to work. Even adding Buhari and Ribadu's #s alone, and lopping off about 4-5 million from GEJs inflated SS/SE votes should tell you what could have happened if Buhari had been more humble. Not to talk of the necessarily higher voter turnout that'd have occurred if the ACN had put its machinery in place.

Ultimately, no one can be blamed here but Buhari. Failing to plan is planning to fail. He wasted a golden opportunity through either incompetence or arrogance (or both.)

Tinubu I suspect looked out for the best interests of himself and his party. There is no reason for him to stick out his neck for the stubborn and frankly not-that-impressive candidacy of Buhari.

It is very harsh to blame Buhari for the alliance, very harsh inded. I really do not want to talk about the alliance again as it is dead and buried.

I am really happy the alliance did not work and I am happy Bakare never signed that letter. The hypocrites have been exposed and whomever cares to see can see.

heilige:

It will be better for Ribadu to move to CPC, and maybe he might make it in 2019. As for 2015 Tinubu will still be dictating.
All these thieves are scared of Ribadu and Buhari.

This would have served Ribadu well in the first instance, had he been in CPC. I think El Rufai will be the one to reap the seed Buhari has sown from the north. I personally would prefer El Rufai to Ribadu, El Rufai had an ambition to be president as well but he was wise to see the hadwritings on the wall and aupported a better candidate at this moment in time.

You cannot be successful in politics without a base of your own.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by gernded(m): 10:45am On Apr 18, 2011
Tinubu is not a boy , Buhari come to the alliance talk with Northern agenda
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by maclatunji: 10:45am On Apr 18, 2011
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 11:06am On Apr 18, 2011
We know Tinubu struck a deal before that meeting, I personally have some inside information and there is no point spilling anything. I just pray to God that sooner rather than later he will be exposed for all to see.

When Ribadu said his candidature was damaged he wasnt just referring to CPC , it was Tinubu himself. Ribadu was a pun all along and he did not know. How can an aspirant not go to the negotiation table before stepping down, it only shows naivety on Ribadus part.

Tinubu, Akande, Osoba, Senator Shiaubu and Muiz Banire were those that went to meet with CPC. Ribadu was to junior to be taken into such meeting. Ribadu has been severly damged politically and the earlier his supporters realise this the better. It will do him a lot of good to perhaps join CPC and start to build a base of his own in the north as some people in the SW might always accept him. He needs to shake off the Tinubu stigma now in order to bounce back stronger.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by johnie: 11:44am On Apr 18, 2011
When Bafarwa, Ribadu and Malami showed interest in being the presidential candidate of ACN, they were laughing.

When Bafarawa stylishly complained that he was asked to step down for Ribadu at the ACN primaries, Ribadu was laughing.

He did not think about the yoruba adage: The cane that was used to beat the senior wife is still in the attic and sooner or later will be used on the younger wife.

Now Ribadu has been taught politics 101. Tinubu is laughing.

I dey laff o!

grin

Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 12:10pm On Apr 18, 2011
ekt_bear:

With intelligent analysts like you around one can always be assured that emotional opinions will always be neutralised with sound reasoning . How is anyone , by any stretch of the imagination , to fathom that Ribadu is the "biggest loser" here ?

Is it not Buhari who is finished and unable to ever become President in future ? Ribadu has enhanced his visibility and gained valuable experience from contesting for the highest office in the land . We know that with Buhari, IBB et al gone the future is about Saraki, Fashola, El Rufai, Donald duke , Ribadu, Amaechi et al . Someone should tell me how Ribadu has done himself harm at all by standing for the highest office in the land and gaining highly valuable visibility and experience in the process.

@Lagosboy.

Clearly you are a bright chap but your emotion always clouds your reasoning . You shouted that you would be happy for Tinubu to be "disgraced" through the rejection of his wife at the polls. What transpired in reality? Ribadu will be fine . Buhari , as I told you before , has turned out to be the biggest loser. It really is that simple. No spin can destroy fact and sound logic .
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 12:21pm On Apr 18, 2011
Gbawe:

@Lagosboy.

Clearly you are a bright chap but your emotion always clouds your reasoning . You shouted that you would be happy for Tinubu to be "disgraced" through the rejection of his wife at the polls. What transpired in reality? Ribadu will be fine . Buhari , as I told you before , has turned out to be the biggest loser. It really is that simple. No spin can destroy fact and sound logic .

There is nothing emotional here and this thread is not about Buhari in the least. Buhari has lost and we move on but why i have singled out Ribadu is because he is the younger candidate, he is the one that has the future in his hands, Buhari cannot contest again and that is it. You talked about the future and if you will also leave sentiments aside you will understand my reason for talking about the future.

Ribadu is a bright guy and the earlier he and his core team realise where it all went wrong the better for his future. Ribadus head was shaved without him being there 48 hrs to an elelction and his party refused to mobilise supportrers hence the 30% voter turn out in the SW.

Remember i also told you clearly before this election that Ribadu has absolute no chance in this election, and that he will not even win his ward , the results have proven me right.

The facts are:
Ribadu needs a base to be politically relevant
Ribadus credibility was severly damged in this election
Ribadu will do better in national politics if he shakes off the Tinubu stigma
Ribadu needs to work with Buhari to have accetablity in the north at this point in time.
El Rufai might fill the gap Ribadu would have perfectly filled.

I am not talking about Buhari again because this was his last shot and we have lost. We accept defeat and we move on. What we should be talking about is how the qualities and ideology of Buharism can be imparted in other people for the future of Nigeria.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Jarus(m): 12:37pm On Apr 18, 2011
Gbawe, I beg to disagree. Ribadu is not only a loser, he also dabbled into expensive gamble, as rightly put by Lagosboy.

Ribadu came out of this election with a drastically dropped integrity rating.
The respect he commanded before this sojourn greatly fell.

One, Ribadu's association with Tinubu, after calling him a corrupt man of international dimension, for which he struggled to defend, dented his image.

Two, his exoneration of Patience Jonathan, with all available documentary evidences to show he once talked about her money laundering charge, greatly diminished his morality standing.

Three - although I personally don't believe this - not a few people believe he was planted by PDP to give way for Jonathan presidency.

As for Buhari, he is not a loser. He personally stood to gain nothing. He has been there before. With less than 1% of Jonathan's campaign expenditure and less than 50% of Ribadu's campaign expenditure, he floored Ribadu and gave GEJ a run for his billion Naira. His rating among the public increase as this campaign made many people know much about him as well as his much talked-about integrity.

I personally don't have problem with Ribadu and I still have sympathy with ACN more than any other party, but I have enough reasons to believe Tinubu taught Ribadu politics 101.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Jarus(m): 12:47pm On Apr 18, 2011
I agree one has to stoop to conquer, and it is plausible to say Ribadu was only stooping to conquer but there was a better way he could have done.

For example, apart from rigging and GEJ's billion naira inducements, one factor that contributed to Buhari's loss was his reluctance to 'stoop to conquer'. It was very clear that Tinubu wanted to be his VP, but he was hesitant to work with Tinubu. Also, he never endorsed Mohammed Abacha. Also, until IBB and co went to meet him in the dying minutes, he was hesitant to have anything to do with them.

These are ways to play your game without having to lose what you are known for. If he had accepted Tinubu, he would surely have done better than this, but he was hesitant to jettison his principle. He lost gracefully.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 12:49pm On Apr 18, 2011
Jarus:

I agree one has to stoop to conquer, and it is plausible to say Ribadu was only stooping to conquer but there was a better way he could have done.

For example, apart from rigging and GEJ's billion naira inducements, one factor that contributed to Buhari's loss was his reluctance to 'stoop to conquer'. It was very clear that Tinubu wanted to be his VP, but he was hesitant to work with Tinubu. Also, he never endorsed Mohammed Abacha. Also, until IBB and co went to meet him in the dying minutes, he was hesitant to have anything to do with them.

These are ways to play your game without having to lose what you are known for. If he had accepted Tinubu, he would surely have done better than this, but he was hesitant to jettison his principle. He lost gracefully.
I agree with this 100% and i will never blame him for not allowing Tinubu to be his VP. A man has princilples and showed us he is not desperate, he will go to bed with peace of mind as he has not compromised. The end does not justify the means and i love him more for that. A true general indeed !!
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 12:52pm On Apr 18, 2011
Jarus:

Gbawe, I beg to disagree. Ribadu is not only a loser, he also dabbled into expensive gamble, as rightly put by Lagosboy.

One, Ribadu's association with Tinubu, after calling him a corrupt man of international dimension, for which he struggled to defend, dented his image.

Two, his exoneration of Patience Jonathan, with all available documentary evidences to show he once talked about her money laundering charge, greatly diminished his morality standing.

Three - although I personally don't believe this - not a few people believe he was planted by PDP to give way for Jonathan presidency.

As for Buhari, he is not a loser. He personally stood to gain anything. He has been there before. With less than 1% of Jonathan's campaign expenditure and less than 50% of Ribadu's campaign expenditure, he floored Ribadu and gave Buhari a run for his billion Naira. His rating among the public increase as this campaign made many people know much about him as well as his much talked-about integrity.

I personally don't have problem with Ribadu and I still have sympathy with ACN more than any other party, but I have enough reasons to believe Tinubu taught Ribadu politics 101.

@Gbawe

If you ever have the opportunity of speaking with Ribadu in private , believe me he will tell you Tinubu messed him up big time. Taught him the lesson of his life in politics and how he bounces back will determine his future success.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by OmoTier1(m): 1:13pm On Apr 18, 2011
I for one never considered Ribadu as serious the moment i learnt he was pitching his tent with a crook called tinubu.
Also my view of Ribadu now is that he lacks what it takes to lead a nation like nigeria and this unfortunately seems to be the end of his political career. Remember about a week plus to the election, i posted an open letter on nairaland to Ribadu asking him to gracefully step down and save his image 'cos i saw the handwriting o the wall of what tinubu was going to use him for!
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 1:13pm On Apr 18, 2011
Jarus:

As for Buhari, he is not a loser. He personally stood to gain nothing. He has been there before. With less than 1% of Jonathan's campaign expenditure and less than 50% of Ribadu's campaign expenditure, he floored Ribadu and gave GEJ a run for his billion Naira. His rating among the public increase as this campaign made many people know much about him as well as his much talked-about integrity.

Jarus , a day is a long time in politics . Ribadu will bounce back from this easily in my opinion if he keeps himself relevant and visible . This election has shown that me and you are Wole Soyinka in a Nation full of Alao-Akala type when it comes to political sophistication . What has Jonathan done to deserve the support he got? Instead , in reality, he has done enough to ensure he did not get a single vote yet some followed him iconically and emotionally without recourse to the actual performance of GEJ . The list of his off-putting actions is too much . Yet that did not result in a "dropped integrity rating" .

Ribadu will have learnt his lessons well . He will understand Nigerians more , taking in their fickle and idiosyncratic nature,  to know how he too can be a better politician in future.

I only say buhari is the biggest loser because his last chance of becoming a democratic President is gone. Not so for Ribadu . The integrity you claim Ribadu has lost is only applicable to erudite voters like yourself . We should all now be convinced that those things ultimately mean nothing to the electorate if we look at all GEJ has done yet he still managed to win convincingly . Ribadu should simply add political astuteness to his zeal and he will be okay .
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Jarus(m): 1:18pm On Apr 18, 2011
Gbawe:

Jarus , a day is a long time in politics . Ribadu will bounce back from this easily in my opinion if he keeps himself relevant and visible . This election has shown that me and you are Wole Soyinka in a Nation full of Alao-Akala type when it comes to political sophistication . What has Jonathan done to deserve the support he gets? Instead he has done enough to ensure he did not get a single vote yet some followed him iconically . The list of his off-putting actions is too much . Yet hat did not result in a "dropped integrity rating" .

Ribadu will have learnt his lessons well . He will understand Nigerians more , taking in their fickle and idiosyncratic nature, to know how he too can be a better politician in future.

I only say buhari is the biggest loser because his last chance of becoming a democratic President is gone. Not so for Ribadu . The integrity you claim Ribadu has lost is only applicable to erudite voters like yourself . We should all now be convinced that those things ultimately mean nothing to the electorate if we look at all GEJ has done yet he still managed to win convincingly . Ribadu should simply add political astuteness to his zeal and he will be okay .

Did GEJ ever have any rating on integrity scale? Sincerity rating? maybe. Anyway, let's see what he will do to teh SE riggers, since he has told them not to rig for him.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by johnie: 1:24pm On Apr 18, 2011
El-rufai, maybe he learnt his politics lessons when he was FCT minister or maybe after, to me seems to have gained huge political capital  from what has just happened.

If you remember, El-Rufai (like Ribadu who he shared an office with when EFCC started and also shared ideologies with) was very brash in his early days at BPE and later the FCT. Remember the spat he had with Ibrahim Mantu and co and how we went about things at the FCT? He seems to have learnt to be more calculative. He had the option of supporting Ribadu or een going against him but he chose to bid his time probably acknowledging that the time was not yet ripe for him or Ribadu.

I remember Prince Ademola Adeniji Adele who at the time he was Chairman of Lagos Island Local governement was considered by many next in line to the governorship position of Lagos. That was during the SDP/NRC days. He was a strong member of the SDP and strong backer of MKO Abiola during the June 12 debacle.

He was locked up with the likes of Polycarp Nwite, Ameh Ebute (Senate President) and other "NADECO" members while the likes of Tinubu managed to escape abroad.

By the time, the dust on June 12 had settled and Abacha organised his five fingers of the same leprous hand (political parties), Adele joined one of them and thought he could cash some of the political capital he had earned during the SDP/NADECO days.

Alas, this drew the ire of the NADECO camp  who saw him and treated him as a traitor.

Of course, the Abacha adventure fell through and inflicted further injury of Adele's political capital.

By the time "democracy" returned in 1998-1999, Adele was like an orphan who unsuccessfully tried to re-integrate himself into the progressive camp.

It took him  a while to find his balance and the best he could manage was a commisioner (for sports and youths development) position under Tinubu's godson, Fashola.

1. Ribadu will find it difficult to re-enter the northern political space as a hero where he would be seen as having betrayed the cult-hero-Buhari.
2. He would find it difficult to shake off the stigma of associating with Tinubu in trying to find space among young anti-corruption elements.
3. He would be seen as being politically naive, a pawn in the hands of Tinubu and/or Obasanjo (depending on how you look at it), as events unfold.

El-rufai on the other had would be seen by the northern elements as a succssor to Buhari. He has always potrayed himself as a nationalist lways associating wih people from the south freely and even commending people like Fashola openly even though he did similar things to what Fashola is doing now when he was in charge of the FCT.

The points highlighted about Buhari are very right. He indeed is a man of high moral principles but in democratic politics, it is very difficult to succeed[b] purely [/b] on that ground.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 1:26pm On Apr 18, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

I for one never considered Ribadu as serious the moment i learnt he was pitching his tent with a crook called tinubu.
Also my view of Ribadu now is that he lacks what it takes to lead a nation like nigeria [b]and this unfortunately seems to be the end of his political career. [/b]Remember about a week plus to the election, i posted an open letter on nairaland to Ribadu asking him to gracefully step down and save his image 'cos i saw the handwriting o  the wall of what tinubu was going to use him for!

How many times has that statement been made prematurely by Nigerians and even Africans in general regarding certain leaders? Who did not think OBJ finished when he was sent to jail? Was Atta-Mills not written off because he lost twice? Who is the President of Ghana today ? This election should have shown many of us that , in thinking , we are worlds apart from most average Africans who determine the outcome of elections .
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 1:37pm On Apr 18, 2011
Jarus:

Did GEJ ever have any rating on integrity scale? Sincerity rating? maybe. Anyway, let's see what he will do to teh SE riggers, since he has told them not to rig for him.

The point is that many do not think like you and me . They are not bothered by considerations that should be very troubling . It is highly disturbing to me that Jonathan possibly helped a man escape a murder charge just so he can win an election . Others , from what we have seen , clearly do not care about that . The idiosyncracies of the Nigerian voter , that defies logic , needs a book of its own . Nothing happened here Ribadu himself cannot reverse with deliberate and measured efforts . Many villians , with reputations me and you think is totally trashed, are celebrated highly across Nigeria. Is Andy Ubah now not a Senator when he has done enough , along with his brother, to be forever condemned to the political wilderness ? Abeg it is Nigerian logic-defying politics we are still talking about here . Lets never forget that .

Atiku too was "finished" yet he ended up consensus candidate against GEJ !!!!! Give it 2 months and everyone would have moved on . Ribadu is undoubtedly one of the good guys . If guys like Andy Ubah can 're-invent ' themselves I certainly don't see why anyone would hastily write off Ribadu . The reality on the ground always rubbishes the lofty idealism of the most educated Nigerians .
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by johnie: 2:15pm On Apr 18, 2011
Gbawe:

The point is that many do not think like you and me . They are not bothered by considerations that should be very troubling . It is highly disturbing to me that Jonathan possibly helped a man escape a murder charge just so he can win an election . Others , from what we have seen , clearly do not care about that . The idiosyncracies of the Nigerian voter , that defies logic , needs a book of its own . Nothing happened here Ribadu himself cannot reverse with deliberate and measured efforts . Many villians , with reputations me and you think is totally trashed, are celebrated highly across Nigeria. Is Andy Ubah now not a Senator when he has done enough , along with his brother, to be forever condemned to the political wilderness ? Abeg it is Nigerian logic-defying politics we are still talking about here . Lets never forget that .

Atiku too was "finished" yet he ended up consensus candidate against GEJ !!!!! Give it 2 months and everyone would have moved on . Ribadu is undoubtedly one of the good guys . If guys like Andy Ubah can 're-invent ' themselves I certainly don't see why anyone would hastily write off Ribadu . The reality on the ground always rubbishes the lofty idealism of the most educated Nigerians .

Nigeria is experiencing a change albeit slow.

It is that change that made it difficult for Atiku to bounce back despite the very strong backing of the "old" order.

IBB recognised that change and announced his withdrawal from the political scene.

That change partly accounted for Buhari's loss , though you may not agree.

Buhari's reputation which cast him as a villain in some minds worked against him.

Uba and co will have their day when the people have their say. It's only a matter of time!
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by johnie: 2:22pm On Apr 18, 2011
johnie:

The points highlighted about Buhari are very right. He indeed is a man of high moral principles but in democratic politics, it is very difficult to succeed[b] purely [/b] on that ground.

BBC Interview with Ivorian Reggea Star- Alpha Blondy:

There is a song of mine which was a real revelation, I was surprised when I listened to it this year. It's called "Course au Pouvoir", or Running for Power.

Alpha Blondy met Laurent Gbagbo (L) as part of his role as UN peace messenger The song goes: "There is a blood on the road that leads to the tower of power. There is blood, innocent blood."

The lyrics of that song describes what we are living today in Ivory Coast.

So the politicians cannot say that I did not warn them. I warned them, but power and greed made them deaf.

I would not want to be a politician - no way, because I love life too much!

You cannot be a good politician if you are not a good liar. You have to be able to lie with conviction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13063216

Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 2:28pm On Apr 18, 2011
Gbawe:

The common underlying factor you forgot in all these names are they are of the alao akala type. They never had any integrity to protect in the first place, they were typical politicians. Ribadu is not in that category , every man has something associated with him, to Ribadu it is anti corruption and his very only marketable value is the one value that Tinubu has diminshed if not rubbished. Ribadu does not have money, does not have a base the only thing he has is "anti corruption". If that very thing has been washed off him , i dont know what is left. Maybe an appointment under GEJ might help him.

The only way to bounce back is to leave Tinubu i insist and go align with Buhari now. I am happy Johnnie reasoned with me on why El Rufai has filled the vacum Ribadu should be filling. 2015 if anyone comes from the north and it is El Rufai i will hopefully support him.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 2:31pm On Apr 18, 2011
johnie:

El-rufai, maybe he learnt his politics lessons when he was FCT or maybe after, to me seems to have gained huge political capital from what has just happened.

If you remember, El-Rufai (like Ribadu who he shared an office with EFCC started and also shared ideologies with) was very brash in his early days at BPE and later the FCT. Remember the spat he had with Ibrahim Mantu and co and how we went about things at the FCT? He seems to have learnt to be more calculative. He had the option of supporting Ribadu or een going against him but he chose to bid his time probably acknowledging that the time was not yet ripe for him or Ribadu.

I remember Prince Ademola Adeniji Adele who at the time he was Chairman of Lagos Island Local governement was considered by many next in line to the governorship position of Lagos. That was during the SDP/NRC days. He was a strong member of the SDP and strong backer of MKO Abiola during the June 12 debacle.

He was locked up with the likes of Polycarp Nwite, Ameh Ebute (Senate President) and other "NADECO" members while the likes of Tinubu managed to escape abroad.

By the time, the dust on June 12 had settled and Abacha organised his five fingers of the same leprous hand (political parties), Adele joined one of them and thought he could cash some of the political capital he had earned during the SDP/NADECO days.

Alas, this drew the ire of the NADECO camp who saw him and treated him as a traitor.

Of course, the Abacha adventure fell through and inflicted further injury of Adele's political capital.

By the time "democracy" returned in 1998-1999, Adele was like an orphan who unsuccessfully tried to re-integrate himself into the progressive camp.

It took him a while to find his balance and the best he could manage was a commisioner (for sports and youths development) position under Tinubu's godson, Fashola.

1. Ribadu will find it difficult to re-enter the northern political space as a hero where he would be seen as having betrayed the cult-hero-Buhari.
2. He would find it difficult to shake off the stigma of associating with Tinubu in trying to find space among young anti-corruption elements.
3. He would be seen as being politically naive, a pawn in the hands of Tinubu and/or Obasanjo (depending on how you look at it), as events unfold.

El-rufai on the other had would be seen by the northern elements as a succssor to Buhari. He has always potrayed himself as a nationalist lways associating wih people from the south freely and even commending people like Fashola openly even though he did similar things to what Fashola is doing now when he was in charge of the FCT.

Man mi , you have made my day with this post taking me down memory lane. How can i forget Adeniji Adele the area boy commander chairman. You have spoken the truth and indeed very insightful post which explains the point I am making about Ribadu.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 2:36pm On Apr 18, 2011
Gbawe:

The unfortunate thing is that it is only people of this category that voted for him as well and the votes could not lead him anywhere. I would never say he is finished in politically but he has surely come out worse off compared to 8 months ago when i was praising and supporting Ribadu. A successful man is one who is able to bounce back after falling, he needs to bounce back and i dont see the springboard in ACN or in associating with Tinubu.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by johnie: 2:38pm On Apr 18, 2011
Lagosboy:

The common underlying factor you forgot in all these names are they are of the alao akala type. They never had any integrity to protect in the first place, they were typical politicians.

And Alao Akala's time is up this weekend unless Ajimobi and Ladoja allow what happened to PDP in Ogun State last week (i.e Otedola a la Agbalajobi-Sarumi) happen in Oyo.

Lagosboy:

Man mi , you have made my day with this post taking me down memory lane. How can i forget Adeniji Adele the area boy commander chairman. You have spoken the truth and indeed very insightful post which explains the point I am making about Ribadu.

Could that be why they made him commissioner for Youths and social development?

wink
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Kobojunkie: 2:39pm On Apr 18, 2011
ekt_bear:

Please stop with the ridiculous assertions  already . . .
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 2:42pm On Apr 18, 2011
johnie:

And Alao Akala's time is up this weekend unless Ajimobi and Ladoja allow what happened to PDP in Ogun State last week (i.e Otedola a la Agbalajobi-Sarumi) happen in Oyo.

Could that be why they made him commissioner for Youths and social development?

wink

Exactly wink because Adele is credited to have started the Area boy culture on the lagos island which spread to other parts of lagos.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Kobojunkie: 2:45pm On Apr 18, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

Also my view of Ribadu now is that he lacks what it takes to lead a nation like nigeria and this unfortunately seems to be the end of his political career. Remember about a week plus to the election, i posted an open letter on nairaland to Ribadu asking him to gracefully step down and save his image 'cos i saw the handwriting o  the wall of what tinubu was going to use him for!

I never saw what people claimed to seee in Ribadu back when he was "witch-hunted" by Yar adua. Still don't, anyways! Ribadu killed any possible hopes when he "hooked up" with Tinubu, and I read some of the reasons given for that by people like @Gbawe here. I mean went as far as to claim that Ribadu needed to align himself with some of the same filth as it was the ONLY WAY for him to get in *** shudders***.

Anywho, Ribadu as it stands has failed on so many occassions, the failed alliances included, to step up and show himself a leader. I see him a timid being waiting for his time to burst out and demand he be taken seriously, only I don't know when that will be. But as I have said before, he needs to start low and then edge higher from there.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 2:51pm On Apr 18, 2011
Ribadu can readily and easily reinvent himself.
After all, the political class now know that he is not as rigid as the likes of Buhari.
He has the character to be a good politician.He probably actually stands for nothing.
That is all that is needed to suceed in Nigerian politics.
For those who are rooting for El-Rufai, go and read his interview with Next on his Ibori visit.The man is a very complicated character.
Ribadu's character has only diminshed in the eyes of idealists like you and i.
In the dog eat dog principle less arean called Nigeria politics, he is excelling.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Kilode1: 2:54pm On Apr 18, 2011
Lagosboy:

The unfortunate thing is that it is only people of this category that voted for him as well and the votes could not lead him anywhere. I would never say he is finished in politically but he has surely come out worse off compared to 8 months ago when i was praising and supporting Ribadu. A successful man is one who is able to bounce back after falling, he needs to bounce back and i dont see the springboard in ACN or in associating with Tinubu.

On Ribadu's political prospects: I totally agree with Gbawe and others, I see no loss, if he can continue to manage his political career, I see bright prospects for him. Right now Ribadu may not be too loved in the North but he is clearly not hated. Obviously, you cannot say the same about Northern politicians who supported GEJ.

As per Tinubu: I will say it again, I may not fancy his hardcore domination of ACN politics but in the Nigerian political Jungle, he played his game well. He is the winner of this election and as long as he continues to build bridges and stand with his constituents I see greater things.

I do not blame Tinubu for the failure of the alliance NOT AT ALL. Both parties deserve equal blame. It is politics afterall, you cannot negotiate away your advantage.

On Buhari: He may never be president, but he's not lost much really these are my thoughts on what he needs to do:

Kilode?!:

Buhari needs to stay in politics, rally his supporters and articulate plus sell his ideology to those he can sell it to. he needs to be the "Leader" of CPC and fight for values and issues he believes in. All these quadrennial contest after staying in the background has to stop. It is simply unacceptable, he needs to stay on, fight for his people.

The CPC needs to continue to work on whatever ideology they want to preach. This election, if nothing else, proves that Nigeria is Country of different flavors and we don't all believe in the same principle and ideas. Which is good, na democracy afterall.

Any decent democracy needs credible issue based opposition, Buhari must build his party, put his popularity to work and campaign to get more governorship and Assembly seats in the North at least. His people need decent representation and if he does not cower in the face of fatigue and electoral defeat he might be able to bring something great out of this election.

The era of overwhelming majority where everyone joins the winning party to share the loot should gradually come to an end if Nigeria wants to grow this democracy.

There are several benefits we can derive from a robust democracy which decent opposition numbers will bring. Buhari needs to tighten his belt and use whatever is left of his political capital well. support and sponsor people to governorship and and Assembly positions and hold them accountable till more of our people can do that easily.

I mean, Hate him or love him, I applaud Bola Tinubu for what he has done with ACN

ACN proposed the Freedom of information bill (currently lagging in the PDP Assembly)
ACN proposed Diaspora voting bill (defeated by PDP senators)
ACN vehemently opposed the plot to kill the electoral bill and insert dangerous amendments that will bring political parties and the electoral process under Federal government control, apparently they failed.

. . .and so many other progressive laws.

Buhari needs to own this moment, roll up his Babanriga and get dirty, we have lives to save. . .
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=648895.msg8151379#msg8151379

Ribadu is in good shape politically considering where he came from and if these elections and the agitations bring reforms, I see a bright political future for the man.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Nobody: 2:55pm On Apr 18, 2011
I've said it b4 that Ribadu is a political neöphyte and a tool in tinubus hand cos his ambition made him blind to realities. On election day i mentioned on a thread that tinubu made a deal with powers dat be in abuja cos how do we explain a situation where some ACN agents were told to vote PDP against their own candidate? Why d complaint of a damaged candidacy from Ribadu? Why is Bisi Akande so eager to damage the alliace b4 election by talking with both sides of the mouth at the press conference in abuja? Ribadu should wakeup regarding his political future or else he'l always be tied to tinubus apron to be used at will just like whats presently happening at the seat of power - Alausa lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sahara Reporters Are Liars - Civil Society Group / : DISGRACE! Nigerian House Of Reps Fight Over Rebelling Governors [vid + Photos] / Tinubu Has Done It Again! !!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 166
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.