Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,196 members, 7,953,711 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:13 AM

Ribadu's Expensive Gamble - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu's Expensive Gamble (3868 Views)

Ribadu’s Appointment Is An Insult – Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by nulldev: 12:02pm On Apr 19, 2011
Gbawe:

We can see , without doubt , that voting showed the North-South division of Nigeria . The disgust with the "born to rule" arrogance of the North was greater than I imagined . That situation will not change in 2015. If the North genuinely wants to compete in future they must go with their detribalised sons, accepted across Nigeria, who are a break from the past with no major and permanently damaging stigma attached to their name .

Exactly!!!! That seemed to be the general mood down south. To quote my Dad verbatim 'Jonathan will end northern domination for good"

I of course disagree with this sentiment but I understand how he and people of he's generation (and even a generation after him) got there.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 12:07pm On Apr 19, 2011
It is shame we have this thinking in the south after 10 years of southern presidency, we have forgotten one day the northers will get hold of power and they will treat us exactly same. 1n 1993 Abiola lost and the whole SW went crazy and everything was burnt down.

It is disgusting to see the map of the election result according to the map of Nigeria. If ACN had delivered SW for Ribadu we would not have this sort of division.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by nulldev: 12:15pm On Apr 19, 2011
Lagosboy:

It is shame we have this thinking in the south after 10 years of southern presidency, we have forgotten one day the northers will get hold of power and they will treat us exactly same. 1n 1993 Abiola lost and the whole SW went crazy and everything was burnt down.

It is disgusting to see the map of the election result according to the map of Nigeria. If ACN had delivered SW for Ribadu we would not have this sort of division.

I agree 100%. I find all the no more zoning talk amusing. Come 2015 and you will see PDP send out a northerner and nthen we will have no excuse.

OBJ hijacked the PDP platform and it will be well within the rights of any northerner to do same when they have no choice but to hand power back to them.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 12:20pm On Apr 19, 2011
Lagosboy:

I don't agree with it either but things are what they are. In fact , I think Nigerians have allowed themselves to be blindsided . GEJ is actually , IMO , the best bet for the continuation of "business as usual" for the "born to rule" brigade many Southerners thought they were voting out . Buhari or Ribadu would have been better choices because I expect them to draft in others based on merit. If we truly want a break from the past we would reject those who hand out very important positions out of political expediency, selfish interests and the need to "reward loyalty and support" .
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 12:22pm On Apr 19, 2011
Gbawe:

I don't agree with it either but things are what they are. In fact , I think Nigerians have allowed themselves to be blindsided . GEJ is actually , IMO , the best bet for the continuation of "business as usual" for the "born to rule" brigade many Southerners thought they were voting out . Buhari or Ribadu would have been better choices because I expect them to draft in others based on merit. If we truly want a break from the past we would reject those who hand out very important positions out of political expediency, selfish interests and the need to "reward loyalty and support" .

Which is why we the progressives have to begin charity from home by breaking away from Tinubu who represents everything Boldened above. wink
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Kilode1: 12:42pm On Apr 19, 2011
@Lagosboy, what informs your opinion that Mamora is the best ACN senator?

Once again I have to agree with Gbawe's point on the diverse politicking method that can throw up a primary winner.I really do hate to defend Tinubu, but the guy has earned his stripes and ACN is a better organized party because of his efforts.

I also have issues with the Ekiti central primaries, but I'm not surprised by the conflict. I mean, you have Femi Ojudu, Opeyemi Bamidele and Dele Alake running against an Incumbent Bode Ola, all in the same party and at least two are close associates of Tinubu and former Lagos commissioners under Him. That was a very strong candidate pool. I agree, transparent primaries would have been better in their case. It's unfortunate they are all from the same district. I also see it the failure of a system that restricts people to tiny senatorial districts when they can use their experience else where in the state.

I have criticized Tinubu here several times and I'm still wary of his massive influence but it will be funny to assume he wields as much control as people ascribe to him.

I can bet people like Prof. Sola Adeyeye of Osun State did not bow at Bourdillon. Tinubu is not Awolowo and while I cannot vouch for anyone 100%, I'm sure he's aware of that fact. Even as influential As Awolowo was, and some accuse him of being very heady too, still he had to give up after Bola Ige surprisingly contested Oyo Primaries against his choice the legendary E. Alayande and won. Good leadership matters, transparency is great too. But Tinubu's style gave us Fashola. Politics is not a one way street.

I see a bright future for ACN if they continue to throw up good administrators and hardworking politicians. One is Abike Dabiri, I was indifferent about her at first now I'm slightly impressed. I'm glad we now have Sola Adeyeye back and as a Senator too.

Nigeria needs good opposition, especially in that shark infested House of Assembly. Like I said on page 1, I will be dissappointed if Buhari does not seize the moment to sponsor and give CPC and his people the good representation they deserve. Just like the Talakawas of Aminu Kano, there is massive support for Buhari and he needs to use that to groom progressive politicians like El-Rufai and co.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by aloyemeka2: 12:48pm On Apr 19, 2011
Jarus:

Gbawe, I beg to disagree. Ribadu is not only a loser, he also dabbled into expensive gamble, as rightly put by Lagosboy.

Ribadu came out of this election with a drastically dropped integrity rating.
The respect he commanded before this sojourn greatly fell.

One, Ribadu's association with Tinubu, after calling him a corrupt man of international dimension, for which he struggled to defend, dented his image.

Two, his exoneration of Patience Jonathan, with all available documentary evidences to show he once talked about her money laundering charge, greatly diminished his morality standing.

Three - although I personally don't believe this - not a few people believe he was planted by PDP to give way for Jonathan presidency.

As for Buhari, he is not a loser. He personally stood to gain nothing. He has been there before. With less than 1% of Jonathan's campaign expenditure and less than 50% of Ribadu's campaign expenditure, he floored Ribadu and gave GEJ a run for his billion Naira. His rating among the public increase as this campaign made many people know much about him as well as his much talked-about integrity.

I personally don't have problem with Ribadu and I still have sympathy with ACN more than any other party, but I have enough reasons to believe Tinubu taught Ribadu politics 101.

My thoughts too.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 1:00pm On Apr 19, 2011
Kilode?!:

Once again I have to agree with Gbawe's point on the diverse politicking method that can throw up a primary winner.I really do hate to defend Tinubu, but the guy has earned his stripes and ACN is a better organized party because of his efforts.

I also have issues with the Ekiti central primaries, but I'm not surprised by the conflict. I mean, you have Femi Ojudu, Opeyemi Bamidele and Dele Alake running against an Incumbent Bode Ola, all in the same party and at least two are close associates of Tinubu and former Lagos commissioners under Him. That was a very strong candidate pool. I agree, transparent primaries would have been better in their case. It's unfortunate they are all from the same district. I also see it the failure of a system that restricts people to tiny senatorial districts when they can use their experience else where in the state.

I have criticized Tinubu here several times and I'm still wary of his massive influence but it will be funny to assume he wields as much control as people ascribe to him.

I can bet people like Prof. Sola Adeyeye of Osun State did not bow at Bourdillon. Tinubu is not Awolowo and while I cannot vouch for anyone 100%, I'm sure he's aware of that fact. Even as influential As Awolowo was, and some accuse him of being very heady too, still he had to give up after Bola Ige surprisingly contested Oyo Primaries against his choice the legendary E. Alayande and won. Good leadership matters, transparency is great too. But Tinubu's style gave us Fashola. Politics is not a one way street.

I see a bright future for ACN if they continue to throw up good administrators and hardworking politicians. One is Abike Dabiri, I was indifferent about her at first now I'm slightly impressed. I'm glad we now have Sola Adeyeye back and as a Senator too.

Nigeria needs good opposition, especially in that shark infested House of Assembly. Like I said on page 1, I will be dissappointed if Buhari does not seize the moment to sponsor and give CPC and his people the good representation they deserve. Just like the Talakawas of Aminu Kano, there is massive support for Buhari and he needs to use that to groom progressive politicians like El-Rufai and co.

Great post. I think you hint somewhere that you are interested in politics . Well, I think you have the reasoning, pragmatism and temperament to be effective in Nigerian politics . The reality is different to what many of us think . Nigerian politics is still heavily about compromise and the concise understanding of how to play to win in a very dirty system and with/against dirty players . This is why there is a dearth of guys like Soyinka, Falana et al in core politics. At the end of the day , Politicians will still have to work with others and the system , in place already, to succeed . Some don't understand the fine balancing act folks like Fashola have to achieve to even enable them to deliver as they do currently .
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Kilode1: 1:21pm On Apr 19, 2011
Gbawe:

Great post. I think you hint somewhere that you are interested in politics . Well, I think you have the reasoning, pragmatism and temperament to be effective in Nigerian politics . The reality is different to what many of us think . Nigerian politics is still heavily about compromise and the concise understanding of how to play to win in a very dirty system and with/against dirty players . This is why there is a dearth of guys like Soyinka, Falana et al in core politics. At the end of the day , Politicians will still have to work with others and the system , in place already, to succeed . Some don't understand the fine balancing act folks like Fashola have to achieve to even enable them to deliver as they do currently .

Thanks. I grew up with politics around me. We will definitely meet in the field one day if you go into politics in the SW. I'm more interested in shaping opinions and pushing good hardworking candidates out there for now. I may never contest as a candidate, not sure yet.

But my people need us and Nigeria needs structural reforms. I always tell folks that we are all victims of a disjointed system, how you navigate it is very important as long as you have a reasonable limit on how far you can go. I wish you success bro if you run. God knows we need fresh ideas out there.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 1:49pm On Apr 19, 2011
Kilode?!:

Thanks. I grew up with politics around me. We will definitely meet in the field one day if you go into politics in the SW. I'm more interested in shaping opinions and pushing good hardworking candidates out there for now. I may never contest as a candidate, not sure yet.

But my people need us and Nigeria needs structural reforms. I always tell folks that we are all victims of a disjointed system, how you navigate it is very important as long as you have a reasonable limit on how far you can go. I wish you success bro if you run. God knows we need fresh ideas out there.

Good to know many bright minds will be shaping the future of our country, The SW needs bright people with sincere aspirations to fast track the country´s development.

I do agree on the points you raised as well on the diverse methods of picking candidates but imposition of candidates is what i am against not genuine consesus. I am from Lagos and when a man throws 6 members of his family into an election , this is beyond diversity in methods but plain greed and abuse of power.

Aside from Tinubu and Bisi Akande I dont have issues with most of the actors in ACN. Aregbesola is a person I like a great deal and so many other guys.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 2:16pm On Apr 19, 2011
Kilode?!:

This issue just won't go away in this discussion.
the strength of that candidate pool was an evidence that nothing but a primary would have sufficed.
I find it worrying that a gathering of progressives (whatever that means) would opt for some undefined,unscientific selection process called consensus in choosing the peoples representative.
if this core attribute of a democratic system is discarded, what core principle would be cardinal?
As much as i appreciate the view of Gbawe et al that politicians have to be pragmatic,certain actions should be unacceptable.
Mind you, it is not like this consensus thing was an exception, it was the rule within ACN.
Those that mean that if an incumbent fumbles but remains in the good books of the wise men (BAT ati Akande ati Osboa ati Adesina) he is returned?

funny enough our only saviour in the next four years is a strong opposition in the NASS.
If the sharks run amok again and it remains biz as usual, we are finished.
unfortunately, it seems PDP will get the majority again.
and i fear for another house of bazaar.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 2:31pm On Apr 19, 2011
Lagosboy:

I do agree on the points you raised as well on the diverse methods of picking candidates but imposition of candidates is what i am against not genuine consesus. I am from Lagos and when a man throws 6 members of his family into an election , this is beyond diversity in methods but plain greed and abuse of power.

mate,
kindly throw more light on the bold part.
thank you.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Jarus(m): 2:34pm On Apr 19, 2011
mbulela:

This issue just won't go away in this discussion.
the strength of that candidate pool was an evidence that nothing but a primary would have sufficed.
I find it worrying that a gathering of[b] progressives (whatever that means) [/b] would opt for some undefined,unscientific selection process called consensus in choosing the peoples representative.
if this core attribute of a democratic system is discarded, what core principle would be cardinal?
As much as i appreciate the view of Gbawe et al that politicians have to be pragmatic,certain actions should be unacceptable.
Mind you, it is not like this consensus thing was an exception, it was the rule within ACN.
Those that mean that if an incumbent fumbles but remains in the good books of the wise men (BAT ati Akande ati Osboa ati Adesina) he is returned?
I thought I was the only that has issue with the reckless ascription of this tag in Nigeria. I especially have a problem with some parties calling themselves. In this dispensation, ACN arrogates this label more than any other party. Even more disturbing is when you see crooks calling themselves progressives. The truth is very few political personalities qualify to be a progressive in this age. Awo's UPN and Aminu Kano's PRP of the 2nd republic are examples of progressive parties. These were parties taht had clear-cut ideology. You know UPN with its free education policy, you know PRP with talakawa, welfarist ideology.  Awo and Aminu Kano will turn in their graves when they hear the type of people calling themselves progressives today.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 2:39pm On Apr 19, 2011
Genuine consesus is when 2 or 3 candidates discuss amongst themselves and all three agree to debate themselves in house and one of them emerges which is agreed by them. For example, gbawe and me wants to become the governor of Ekiti state and before campaigning starts at all or announcement of candidates to the public we both sit down and talk it out on why it should be him and not me or vice versa. I submit to his points and he represents the party.

Imposition is when Osoba, Lam Adesina, bisi Akande or Tinubu tell other candidates to piss off and seletcts whom they want. Osoba specifically said there will not be primaries in Ogun state and there was no primary rather it was all selection. Tinubu did the same in Lagos , Lam Adesina did the same in Oyo and his son Dapo suffered the backlash.

The latter is what is practised predominantly in ACN and it will be the bane of the party in the long run if it is not checked.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 2:40pm On Apr 19, 2011
Jarus:

I thought I was the only that has issue with the reckless ascription of this tag in Nigeria. I especially have a problem with some parties calling themselves. In this dispensation, ACN arrogates this label more than any other party. Even more disturbing is when you see crooks calling themselves progressives. The truth is very few political personalities qualify to be a progressive in this age. Awo's UPN and Aminu Kano's PRP of the 2nd republic are examples of progressive parties. These were parties taht had clear-cut ideology. You know UPN with its free education policy, you know PRP with talakawa, welfarist ideology. Awo and Aminu Kano will turn in their graves when they hear the type of people calling themselves progressives today.

Tinubu is the current leader of progressives grin
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 3:00pm On Apr 19, 2011
Lagosboy:

Genuine consesus is when 2 or 3 candidates discuss amongst themselves and all three agree to debate themselves in house and one of them emerges which is agreed by them. For example, gbawe and me wants to become the governor of Ekiti state and before campaigning starts at all or announcement of candidates to the public we both sit down and talk it out on why it should be him and not me or vice versa. I submit to his points and he represents the party.

Imposition is when Osoba, Lam Adesina, bisi Akande or Tinubu tell other candidates to piss off and seletcts whom they want. Osoba specifically said there will not be primaries in Ogun state and there was no primary rather it was all selection. Tinubu did the same in Lagos , Lam Adesina did the same in Oyo and his son Dapo suffered the backlash.

The latter is what is practised predominantly in ACN and it will be the bane of the party in the long run if it is not checked.
i obviously knew what it meant.
I just wanted you to do the definition and thus proof that it is not what is obtainable in ACN.
Infact what is practiced there is imposition and not consensus.
How any pragmatic politician will yield to that,even if he is a beneficiary and not raise his voice in public against it baffles me.
If the foundation be destroyed what can the righteous do?
As it is these candidates owe their allegiance to the wise men and not the party faithfuls.
What sort of foundation is that?
A house built upon sand will not stand o!
If ACN must go far and help us dismatle the evil called PDP, we must hold it accountable to erect a good foundation.
After that, all pragmatism is acceptable.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 3:09pm On Apr 19, 2011
mbulela:

i obviously knew what it meant.
I just wanted you to do the definition and thus proof that it is not what is obtainable in ACN.
Infact what is practiced there is imposition and not consensus.
How any pragmatic politician will yield to that,even if he is a beneficiary and not raise his voice in public against it baffles me.
If the foundation be destroyed what can the righteous do?
[b]As it is these candidates owe their allegiance to the wise men and not the party faithfuls.[/b]What sort of foundation is that?
A house built upon sand will not stand o!
If ACN must go far and help us dismatle the evil called PDP, we must hold it accountable to erect a good foundation.
After that, all pragmatism is acceptable.

This the danger and it is for this very reason the god fathers impose. They feel threatened by a politicians popularity as that will translate to independence of thought and action which is a crime in their circles.

I can bet that in two years time Amosun and Tinubu/osoba might fall out. This is because Amosun had a strucutre before ACN , he is popular and will not yield easily to dictation.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 3:11pm On Apr 19, 2011
Jarus:

I thought I was the only that has issue with the reckless ascription of this tag in Nigeria. I especially have a problem with some parties calling themselves. In this dispensation, ACN arrogates this label more than any other party. Even more disturbing is when you see crooks calling themselves progressives. The truth is very few political personalities qualify to be a progressive in this age. Awo's UPN and Aminu Kano's PRP of the 2nd republic are examples of progressive parties. These were parties taht had clear-cut ideology. You know UPN with its free education policy, you know PRP with talakawa, welfarist ideology.  Awo and Aminu Kano will turn in their graves when they hear the type of people calling themselves progressives today.

did you not hear Ayo Adebanjo days ago hailing Gbenga Daniel a true progressive and a son of Awo?
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 3:18pm On Apr 19, 2011
mbulela:

did you not hear Ayo Adebanjo days ago hailing Gbenga Daniel a true progressive and a son of Awo?

Laughable isnt´it . I think the real progressive leaders are all dead probably Gani was the last one or maybe Enahoro. All the ones left are chop i chop progressives grin
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Jarus(m): 5:04pm On Apr 19, 2011
mbulela:

These are the reasons I hate to use that word now to describe any living Nigerian politician.

More pitiably, the disciples of these progressive politicians of old, that lived till this dispensation, drifted from their progressive leanings.

I dont see Ebenezer Babatope as a progressive again, neither can I say Abubakar Rimi died a progressive. Balarabe Musa is still struggling to be one. Even Bola almost lost the identity(some people say accepting to serve under PDP's Obj govt, they don't believe he died one). Pa Enahoro was perhaps teh last of such breed.

But these are issues for another time. When the current unrest and post-election kerfuffle subside, I will like us to treat this topic as a thread.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by johnie: 5:10pm On Apr 19, 2011
Good to see that you guys are still having a go at this.

PapaBrown made a very interesting submission which I think has been largely dismissed but which I consider very plausible:

[b]@OP
You can look at it from another angle. What if Ribadu was in this elections all the while just to scuttle Buhari's chances.  For a job well done, he gets a top position in the Jonathan Government. He uses that position to build political capital and popular support in preparedness for 2015. He enters 2015 with more visibilty and political experience garnered from running in 2011. That to me is strategic thinking and I bet you it would serve him better than working in a Buhari party.
I also believe that was also Shekarau's strategy- use these elections to prevent a Buhari victory and garber enough exposure for 2015.

As per Tinubu, I always used to say it that  since sometime in 2009, Tinubu was in the same ship with Obasanjo. They met sometime in that period.
They had one common goal- breaking the northern hegemony!!  These two men are the greatest political strategists in Nigeria currently and they did a great job in pulling the rug of the northern hegemony!!
The Ekiti and Osun state victories were just trade-offs. Forget all those arguments between Katsina Alu and Salami.
[/b]

Don't call me a conspiracy theorist but I agree with PapaBrowne.

Let's see what GEJ makes of Ribadu in his new government!

wink
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by hercules07: 5:24pm On Apr 19, 2011
I hope you guys are aware that when the North gets its hand on power, that is the end, the power will not be moving down south in a hurry and they will continue to use the power of incumbency to scuttle the ambitions of Southern politicians, I believe this is one of the areas where Fashola might have an issue (apart from Tinubu's ambition), he needs to get there before a Northerner does.
We need the ACN to reform itself, but, that is going to take some time, the guys winning elections need to build their own power base before they can challenge Tinubu, they all also depend on his money to fight the PDP, we really need parties that have ideologies, funnily enough the only part with any iota of ideology is PDP (chop and quench ideology).
Lamido Sanusi, El-Rufai, the guy that negotiated our debt alongside Okonjo Iweala need to move into politics, we need more of Lamido Sanusi from the North, those who see Nigeria as worth dying for and who are not inhibited by the memories of their fathers.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 8:21am On Apr 20, 2011
johnie:

PapaBrown made a very interesting submission which I think has been largely dismissed but which I consider very plausible:

[b]@OP
You can look at it from another angle. What if Ribadu was in this elections all the while just to scuttle Buhari's chances. For a job well done, he gets a top position in the Jonathan Government. He uses that position to build political capital and popular support in preparedness for 2015. He enters 2015 with more visibilty and political experience garnered from running in 2011. That to me is strategic thinking and I bet you it would serve him better than working in a Buhari party.
I also believe that was also Shekarau's strategy- use these elections to prevent a Buhari victory and garber enough exposure for 2015.

As per Tinubu, I always used to say it that since sometime in 2009, Tinubu was in the same ship with Obasanjo. They met sometime in that period.
They had one common goal- breaking the northern hegemony!! These two men are the greatest political strategists in Nigeria currently and they did a great job in pulling the rug of the northern hegemony!!
The Ekiti and Osun state victories were just trade-offs. Forget all those arguments between Katsina Alu and Salami.
[/b]

wink

I have mussed over this issue severally but i fail to see its possibility.
If Ribadu was a mole, i am convinced that BAT would have been wise enough to spot it. If it was CPC, i would accept the mole theory but in ACN, i doubt it exceedingly.
Mole or no mole, accepting a role in GEJ govt will be the hugely detrimental for Ribadu.
It will be too early to recant for a second time.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 8:47am On Apr 20, 2011
It is unlikely that the CPC will accept to be part of any Jonathan administration, so a large swathe of the North will be in opposition for the first time in Nigeria's political history. It will be a worthy learning experience for all. It is also evident that the ACN and ANPP were in some kind of covert alliance with the PDP so it is likely that their presidential candidates and key officers will be offered cabinet positions in the Jonathan administration, thus leaving CPC as the last opposition party standing. This is an opportunity for the party to build its organization nationally and govern the handful of states it is likely to win, competently.

This is is what Nuhu Ribadus close friend El Rufai said today and it is on SR. He must know something we all have been analysing. I am reluctant to see him as a mole but I am of th eopinion a deal was struck in the last 72 hrs before the election with or withour Ribadus knowledge.

Ribadu cannot go to CPC again IMO or maybe he could but El Rufai will always work against that as he wants to position himself now as the CPC fighter and pseudo opposition leader.

Everyday I am more convinced that Ribadus adventure was a misadventure of some sorts and he lost the gamble.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbakauche: 9:06am On Apr 20, 2011
@mbulela
i dont actually believe th theory but with tinubu and obj involved things might not just look the way they seems,there are definitly some agreement we dont know of. Distabilizing the northern politicians (presidential aspirants) has been one of baba's main plan.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbakauche: 9:27am On Apr 20, 2011
Am having the feel Ribadu was fooled, i mean it does make sense how can he trust Tinubu infact what was he thinking coming out against GEJ and Buari when he knows very well that he can never win in the north since Buari is there favourite and ss and se are for GEJ, sw are people with pseudo sense.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 10:12am On Apr 20, 2011
mbakauche:

Am having the feel Ribadu was fooled, i mean it does make sense how can he trust Tinubu infact what was he thinking coming out against GEJ and Buari when he knows very well that he can never win in the north since Buari is there favourite and ss and se are for GEJ, sw are people with pseudo sense.

This is a multi million dollar question of which the events of the coming few months will help us have an answer
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Nobody: 1:38pm On Apr 20, 2011
Ribadu was not fooled he is as intelligent if not more intelligent than a lot of US here. He knew what he was getting into but decided to
A) Become more visible politically
B)play the game for GEJ
All his strategies looked poor and i know he is not that daft check out his VP i dont get that at all a low profile politician. ACN already had the southwest why didnt they pick a VP with good/sound political base from the ss or se or do you think Tinubu or Ribadu are that politically naive. I dont think so unless he let his ambition shroud his thinking.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by johnie: 1:56pm On Apr 20, 2011
Lagosboy:

This is is what Nuhu Ribadus close friend El Rufai said today and it is on SR. He must know something we all have been analysing. I am reluctant to see him as a mole but I am of th eopinion a deal was struck in the last 72 hrs before the election with or withour Ribadus knowledge.

Ribadu cannot go to CPC again IMO or maybe he could but El Rufai will always work against that as he wants to position himself now as the CPC fighter and pseudo opposition leader.

Everyday I am more convinced that Ribadus adventure was a misadventure of some sorts and he lost the gamble.

I still maintain my earlier position on this matter:

johnie:

[b]@OP
You can look at it from another angle. What if Ribadu was in this elections all the while just to scuttle Buhari's chances.  For a job well done, he gets a top position in the Jonathan Government. He uses that position to build political capital and popular support in preparedness for 2015. He enters 2015 with more visibilty and political experience garnered from running in 2011. That to me is strategic thinking and I bet you it would serve him better than working in a Buhari party.

As per Tinubu, I always used to say it that  since sometime in 2009, Tinubu was in the same ship with Obasanjo. They met sometime in that period.
They had one common goal- breaking the northern hegemony!!  These two men are the greatest political strategists in Nigeria currently and they did a great job in pulling the rug of the northern hegemony!!
[/b]

wink

johnie:

El-rufai, maybe he learnt his politics lessons when he was FCT minister or maybe after, to me seems to have gained huge political capital from what has just happened.

If you remember, El-Rufai (like Ribadu who he shared an office with when EFCC started and also shared ideologies with) was very brash in his early days at BPE and later the FCT. Remember the spat he had with Ibrahim Mantu and co and how we went about things at the FCT? He seems to have learnt to be more calculative. He had the option of supporting Ribadu or een going against him but he chose to bid his time probably acknowledging that the time was not yet ripe for him or Ribadu.

I remember Prince Ademola Adeniji Adele who at the time he was Chairman of Lagos Island Local governement was considered by many next in line to the governorship position of Lagos. That was during the SDP/NRC days. He was a strong member of the SDP and strong backer of MKO Abiola during the June 12 debacle.

He was locked up with the likes of Polycarp Nwite, Ameh Ebute (Senate President) and other "NADECO" members while the likes of Tinubu managed to escape abroad.

By the time, the dust on June 12 had settled and Abacha organised his five fingers of the same leprous hand (political parties), Adele joined one of them and thought he could cash some of the political capital he had earned during the SDP/NADECO days.

Alas, this drew the ire of the NADECO camp  who saw him and treated him as a traitor.

Of course, the Abacha adventure fell through and inflicted further injury of Adele's political capital.

By the time "democracy" returned in 1998-1999, Adele was like an orphan who unsuccessfully tried to re-integrate himself into the progressive camp.

It took him  a while to find his balance and the best he could manage was a commisioner (for sports and youths development) position under Tinubu's godson, Fashola.

1. Ribadu will find it difficult to re-enter the northern political space as a hero where he would be seen as having betrayed the cult-hero-Buhari.
2. He would find it difficult to shake off the stigma of associating with Tinubu in trying to find space among young anti-corruption elements.
3. He would be seen as being politically naive, a pawn in the hands of Tinubu and/or Obasanjo (depending on how you look at it), as events unfold.

El-rufai on the other had would be seen by the northern elements as a succssor to Buhari. He has always potrayed himself as a nationalist lways associating wih people from the south freely and even commending people like Fashola openly even though he did similar things to what Fashola is doing now when he was in charge of the FCT.

The points highlighted about Buhari are very right. He indeed is a man of high moral principles but in democratic politics, it is very difficult to succeed[b] purely [/b] on that ground.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by johnie: 6:40pm On Apr 21, 2011
2011:I Will Take Corrupt Politicians Money For My Campaign- Ribadu…Clears Mrs Jonathan Of Corruption Charges

Friday, 17 September 2010 10:

Barring any last minute change of plan, former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC Mallam Nuhu Ribadu will next week formally declare his ambition to contest Nigeria’s presidency on the platform of Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN in next year’s general elections.

[b]Ahead of likely questions that will confront him when his campaign which is being funded by former Lagos governor, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, kicks off next week, Ribadu told a bewildered gathering of journalists put together by Tinubu in Wuse area of Abuja today that he would not bother himself with the integrity profile of politicians that will sponsor his campaign as long as he would not keep their stolen money in his pocket.

The former anti-graft czar said this to justify his alliance with Tinubu and his decision to allow the former governor fund his presidential campaigns. Recall that Ribadu had in the hollow chambers of the Senate while briefing the lawmakers of his Commission’s anti-corruption activities on September 27, 2006 indicted Tinubu of corruption by describing him as a looter with international dimension.

Though he pleaded with the journalists comprising mainly of bureau chiefs of media organisations in Abuja not to report this aspect of his statement to them, he however gave them the permission of yet another bombshell he dropped to highlight the high degree of contradictions in his personality when he cleared the first lady of Nigeria, Dame Patience Jonathan of corruption charges.

While answering questions from the media men numbering over 30 at about 12noon at a club house opposite the popular Penniel Apartments in Wuse, Ribadu declared that before he vacated office in 2008 he had concluded investigations into the N104 million and $13.5million money laundering charges against Mrs Jonathan and consequently cleared her of any complicity in the fraud allegations.

He said it was the political opponents of the Jonathan family that magnified the N104 million allegation and also conjured the $13.5 million money laundering case against the first family of Bayelsa then when Jonathan wanted to contest for the state governorship election in 2007.[/b]

His claims today however contradicted his earlier statements on some of the controversial issues raised at his media parley today. It will be recalled that Mr Ribadu had pointedly accused Mrs Jonathan of money laundering in 2007 and went ahead to file charges against her at a federal high court in Abuja. The controversy started on September 11, 2006, when the then EFCC spokesman, Mr Osita Nwaja issued a statement to declare that a whopping sum of 13.5 million US Dollars was seized from Mrs. Patience Jonathan, the wife of then Governor of Bayelsa State, Mr. Goodluck Jonathan. Until now, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu has neither made any known public denial of this declaration nor has the EFCC issued any statement of rebuttal.

Quoting Ribadu vertim on this in his testimony before the senate on September 27, 2006, he said “Abia is number one (of corrupt state) not because it is number one alphabetically, but because we have one of the biggest established cases of stealing, money laundering, diversion of fund against Governor Kalu. The governor used his mother, daughter, wife and brother to divert N35billion to build his business empire including Slok Airlines, Slok Pharmaceuticals and newspaper house…Governor Bola Ahmed Tinubu corruption is of international dimension.

There is s also a petition against the Governor of Bayelsa’s wife. She was involved in laundering the sum of one hundred and four million into foreign account. She is also being investigated.”

Beyond this claim, Ribadu actually went ahead to file charges in a suit number FHC/ABJ/M/340/06 filed on August 21, 2007 at the Federal High Court, Abuja. In the suit, Ribadu had named Mrs. Patience Jonathan, as an accomplice in the N104million-money laundering case involving Mrs. Nancy Ebere Nwosu. The said money as reveled by the Ribadu-led EFCC then was on the order of Mrs Patience Goodluck, laundered into a First Bank of Nigeria account number 3292010060711 held in the name of Nansolyvan Public Relations Limited by one Hanner Offor. As a result, the EFCC’s affidavit used in supporting the suit’s originating summons, filed by the EFCC prosecuting counsel, Ofem Uket declared that:

“Our investigations revealed that Mrs. Patience Jonathan, wife of the Governor of Bayelsa State, was the person who instructed one Hanner Offor to launder the said sum of N104, 000, 000 into the account of Nansolyvan Public Relations Limited with First Bank of Nigeria Plc (FBN), Niger House, Marina, Lagos.”

In spite of all this documentary evidence authored by Mr Ribadu as EFCC chairman, he has today made a unique summersault by declaring Mrs Jonathan innocent on all the charges!
http://transparencyng.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2208:2011i-will-take-corrupt-politicians-money-for-my-campaign-ribaduclears-mrs-jonathan-of-corruption-charges&catid=67:politics&Itemid=151

http://transparencyng.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2208:2011i-will-take-corrupt-politicians-money-for-my-campaign-ribaduclears-mrs-jonathan-of-corruption-charges&catid=67:politics&Itemid=151

http://ireports-ng.com/2010/09/16/2011i-will-take-corrupt-politicians-money-for-my-campaign-ribadu-clears-mrs-jonathan-of-corruption-charges/
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by johnie: 6:50pm On Apr 21, 2011
Quote from: Gbawe on April 18, 2011, 03:05 PM
The point is that this thread is really emotional rather than logical , IMO , given what we know about Nigeria . What is an "expensive gamble"? It is only in Nigeria we speak as if folks are worse off because they stood up to be counted and nobly presented themselves as candidates for top office . No one would bother to contest an election if they think that they will lose everything if unsuccessful .

Others have bounced back from far worse . I really don't see the point of this thread . The elections has shown how simple Nigerians are . Anyone who thinks Ribadu is now 'damaged goods' that cannot be marketed for greater potency in future is simply not conversant with what obtains in Nigeria. Do some of us know the history of men like david Mark? Is David Mark , today , not the third most powerful Nigerian alive? This election should have humbled some of us into realising that our pontification is for each other and not necessarily in line with the thinking of average Nigerians .

Some buhari fans , for example, bragged that the Buhari tsunami will hit the SW . What happened in reality? Abeg let us stop the arrogance . It has been proven that most of us are simply elitist in thinking with no clue of the mindset of those on the ground . Anyone who thinks Ribadu , while still young , cannot be made into the next 'hottest thing' is simply not talking about Nigeria. What is it that Jonathan has not done wrong ? Depleted ECA, Teslim Folarin, Ogun impeachment debacle, Anenih et al as campaign manager , death of halliburton trial, disappearance of IBB's indictment , etc , etc yet Nigerians voted for him well . Abeg Ribadu will be alright Ojare .

i beg to differ with you on the bold part.
I don't think we are idealistic.
we simply choose not to be short sighted.

i agree with you that Ribadu will be fine.
the main reason is that the political class will have realised that is malleable,considering how he was able to comfortably align with BAT and recant his past comments.
If an Andy Uba can be fine, Ribadu just needs to lie more often and he would be fine.
Those whose votes you need to win do not believe in all these talk of integrity that most of us here are bothered with.

the problem is what happens in the long term.

Good for Uba but what has happened to Salisu Ibrahim (the first speaker under this dispenssaton), wabara, Patricia Ette, Ogbulafor, etc?
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 12:26pm On Apr 22, 2011
I think the thread below has confirmed all my initial analysis on this issue. If the news is true then I have been vindicated.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-652104.0.html

@johnnie
Good you remembered Etteh, wabara, salisu Buhari,

Ribadus only political asset has been taken away from him by Tinubu, Ribafu has no money to launder his image, Ribadu will be left with no party apart from CPC, Ribadu needs to come out and be honest on hi misadventure and Nigerians might perhaps forgive him and accept him in 2015.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

GEJ Stands By His Single Term Proposition / Photo Of The Day: Is Theresa A Yoruba Woman? / Checkout This Standard Primary School Built By Rochas Okorocha In Owerri(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.