Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,664 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

Ribadu's Expensive Gamble - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ribadu's Expensive Gamble (3808 Views)

Ribadu’s Appointment Is An Insult – Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 3:05pm On Apr 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I never saw what people claimed to seee in Ribadu back when he was "witch-hunted" by Yar adua. Still don't, anyways! Ribadu killed any possible hopes when he "hooked up" with Tinubu, and I read some of the reasons given for that by people like @Gbawe here. I mean went as far as to claim that Ribadu needed to align himself with some of the same filth as it was the ONLY WAY for him to get in *** shudders***.

Anywho, Ribadu as it stands has failed on so many occassions, the failed alliances included, to step up and show himself a leader. I see him a timid being waiting for his time to burst out and demand he be taken seriously, only I don't know when that will be. But as I have said before, he needs to start low and then edge higher from there.

The point is that this thread is really emotional rather than logical , IMO , given what we know about Nigeria . What is an "expensive gamble"? It is only in Nigeria we speak as if folks are worse off because they stood up to be counted and nobly presented themselves as candidates for top office . No one would bother to contest an election if they think that they will lose everything if unsuccessful .

Others have bounced back from far worse . I really don't see the point of this thread . The elections has shown how simple Nigerians are . Anyone who thinks Ribadu is now 'damaged goods' that cannot be marketed for greater potency in future is simply not conversant with what obtains in Nigeria. Do some of us know the history of men like david Mark? Is David Mark , today , not the third most powerful Nigerian alive? This election should have humbled some of us into realising that our pontification is for each other and not necessarily in line with the thinking of average Nigerians .

Some buhari fans , for example, bragged that the Buhari tsunami will hit the SW . What happened in reality? Abeg let us stop the arrogance . It has been proven that most of us are simply elitist in thinking with no clue of the mindset of those on the ground . Anyone who thinks Ribadu , while still young , cannot be made into the next 'hottest thing' is simply not talking about Nigeria. What is it that Jonathan has not done wrong ? Depleted ECA, Teslim Folarin, Ogun impeachment debacle, Anenih et al as campaign manager , death of halliburton trial, disappearance of IBB's indictment , etc , etc yet Nigerians voted for him well . Abeg Ribadu will be alright Ojare .
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 3:06pm On Apr 18, 2011
Timehin:

I've said it b4 that Ribadu is a political neöphyte and a tool in tinubus hand cos his ambition made him blind to realities. On election day i mentioned on a thread that tinubu made a deal with powers dat be in abuja cos how do we explain a situation where some ACN agents were told to vote PDP against their own candidate? Why d complaint of a damaged candidacy from Ribadu? Why is Bisi Akande so eager to damage the alliace b4 election by talking with both sides of the mouth at the press conference in abuja? Ribadu should wakeup regarding his political future or else he'l always be tied to tinubus apron to be used at will just like whats presently happening at the seat of power - Alausa lagos.

Oh my God, i was not even aware of this and somebody says Tinubu is fighting for us, he is simply fighting for his political relevance. We know what he got from GEJ , we know the deal he struck
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 3:14pm On Apr 18, 2011
Gbawe:

The point is that this thread is really emotional rather than logical , IMO , given what we know about Nigeria . What is an "expensive gamble"? It is only in Nigeria we speak as if folks are worse off because they stood up to be counted and nobly presented themselves as candidates for top office . No one would bother to contest an election if they think that they will lose everything if unsuccessful .

Others have bounced back from far worse . I really don't see the point of this thread . The elections has shown how simple Nigerians are . Anyone who thinks Ribadu is now 'damaged goods' that cannot be marketed for greater potency in future is simply not conversant with what obtains in Nigeria. Do some of us know the history of men like david Mark? Is David Mark , today , not the third most powerful Nigerian alive? This election should have humbled some of us into realising that our pontification is for each other and not necessarily in line with the thinking of average Nigerians .

Some buhari fans , for example, bragged that the Buhari tsunami will hit the SW . What happened in reality? Abeg let us stop the arrogance . It has been proven that most of us are simply elitist in thinking with no clue of the mindset of those on the ground . Anyone who thinks Ribadu , while still young , cannot be made into the next 'hottest thing' is simply not talking about Nigeria. What is it that Jonathan has not done wrong ? Depleted ECA, Teslim Folarin, Ogun impeachment debacle, Anenih et al as campaign manager , death of halliburton trial, disappearance of IBB's indictment , etc , etc yet Nigerians voted for him well . Abeg Ribadu will be alright Ojare .

We know Nigerians desrve the leaders we get, we know our people are short sighted, we know they have sold their future for the 200 naira they got for voting GEJ in. The difference in Ribadu and all these people is what he is percieved to stand for which you are failing to put into this context.

Anyway this thread is for whoemver wants to learn in politics to learn from the mistakes of Ribadu. Politics 101 like it is being called.

Never go into a political race without a base of your own
Try to always build a structure of some sort no matter how long it takes.
Never compromise your principles , what you compromise is your strategy.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 3:23pm On Apr 18, 2011
Gbawe:

i beg to differ with you on the bold part.
I don't think we are idealistic.
we simply choose not to be short sighted.

i agree with you that Ribadu will be fine.
the main reason is that the political class will have realised that is malleable,considering how he was able to comfortably align with BAT and recant his past comments.
If an Andy Uba can be fine, Ribadu just needs to lie more often and he would be fine.
Those whose votes you need to win do not believe in all these talk of integrity that most of us here are bothered with.

the problem is what happens in the long term.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 3:27pm On Apr 18, 2011
Lagosboy:

Never compromise your principles , what you compromise is your strategy.
In Nigeria?
are you kidding me?
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by sbeezy8: 3:31pm On Apr 18, 2011
Ribadu will be fne but hes dumb az helll

Tinubu Acn lai akande etc KNEW THAT RIBADU CANNOT GET MAJORITY OF SW VOTES.

even Osun state Ribadu won by VERY little compared to those Who didnt vote at all. lol

o well. . .
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 3:31pm On Apr 18, 2011
mbulela:

Ribadu can readily and easily reinvent himself.
After all, the political class now know that he is not as rigid as the likes of Buhari.
He has the character to be a good politician.He probably actually stands for nothing.
That is all that is needed to suceed in Nigerian politics.
For those who are rooting for El-Rufai, go and read his interview with Next on his Ibori visit.The man is a very complicated character.
Ribadu's character has only diminshed in the eyes of idealists like you and i.
In the dog eat dog principle less arean called Nigeria politics, he is excelling.

Fantastic post but I have come to expect no less from you because Nairaland has different tiers of objectivity and you are at the very top tier. I.e always consistently devoid of bias and partisanship enough to see issues clearly. even your comment on El Rufai is very astute .

The election has exposed the elitist thinking of many on Nairaland that is a stark contrast to how politics is actually played on the ground in Nigeria. Ribadu has done himself no harm at all . In the minds of many , he has run for the office of President . To many simple Nigerians that simply means he is in the bracket of those suitable for that particular office while uber ambitious Bukola saraki may actually be stigmatised as a senator if he runs for the Presidency in future. Ribadu just needs to stay relevant and visible in opposition .

Even the claims Tinubu used him is erroneous . If anything , I think Ribadu will have gained the type of knowledge and first-hand experience (from Tinubu and everyone else) others can only dream of . OBJ "fu'cked up" Atiku permanently in 2007 , according to some,  yet Atiku came back to be Northern PDP consensus candidate in 2011 because he "ticked all the boxes for some" !!!!!

GEJ badly exposed the notion that , as elections become free and fair somewhat, the North will be caught out because it is guilty of not grooming its sons and daughters who are liked all across Nigeria like Ribadu and seen as "detribalised" . The resentment of the "born to rule" mindset of the North favoured GEJ a lot . Now , wether the North likes it or not , and with IBB and co gone , they must settle for visible moderate Northerners in the future who are liked and accepted throughout Nigeria and a departure from the "sordid past". I don't see many who are ahead of Ribadu in that respect.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 3:36pm On Apr 18, 2011
mbulela:

In Nigeria?
are you kidding me?

It is very undortunate that Nigeria has been reduced to that. We have no men of integrrity sad
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Kilode1: 3:50pm On Apr 18, 2011
Lagosboy:

It is very undortunate that Nigeria has been reduced to that. We have no men of integrrity sad

In politics, it's all about Interest. Integrity is highly subjective IMO.

Does Obama lack or have integrity when he has flipfloped on many campaign promises by negotiating with Republicans?

Do the Republicans have or lack integrity with the concessions they are being forced to give in to because they do not have full control of the US senate?

talkless of a system like Nigeria where our politics is based on almost NO ideological grounds. Integrity becomes a word that might only be useful in religious camps where people have definite principles almost set in stone.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 3:51pm On Apr 18, 2011
Lagosboy:

It is very undortunate that Nigeria has been reduced to that. We have no men of integrrity  sad

My brother , that is why folks like us say to you that , for now , things are what they are . If you think about it , events made IBB, OBJ, Buhari, Atiku and some others visible . They have remained in our collective psyche as top echelon politicians . That is the category Ribadu has entered because the 'old boys' (Buhari, IBB, OBJ, Danjuma et al) now have no choice but to pass the mantle on .

Despite all that has happened do you think Buhari will not consider Ribadu if he has to support a Northern candidate in 2015 if the choices are Saraki, Ribadu , Sambo , Yuguda, Babangida Aliyu et al ? All the 'old boys'  need successors. Ribadu , though new to politics , has done well IMO . The North should have learnt its lesson from the victory of GEJ. They cannot keep treating the rest of Nigeria with arrogance . If elections are free and fair then the North may struggle unless they start moving away from candidate like "Sharia" Yerima to put everything behind folks like Ribadu who are liked and marketable across the entire country. Many give various reasons for not voting Ribadu but how many state he is "hardcore" , "a fundamentalist" or accuse him of wanting to "Islamise Nigeria" ? For how things stand today , the North needs Ribadu if election rigging is now behind us .  He only needs to keep doing good and learning from his mistakes and a bright future beckons .
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by proudly9ja(m): 4:06pm On Apr 18, 2011
If CPC goes back to the drawing board and with Buhari as leader, with d type of support and synergy I saw among Nigerians all around the world in d past few months, Ribadu can be repackaged over d next four years.

Like many have stated here, Nigerians are simple and shortsighted.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 4:07pm On Apr 18, 2011
Gbawe:

My brother , that is why folks like us say to you that , for now , things are what they are . If you think about it , events made IBB, OBJ, Buhari, Atiku and some others visible . They have remained in our collective psyche as top echelon politicians . That is the category Ribadu has entered because the 'old boys' (Buhari, IBB, OBJ, Danjuma et al) now have no choice but to pass the mantle on .

Despite all that has happened do you think Buhari will not consider Ribadu if he has to support a Northern candidate in 2015 if the choices are Saraki, Ribadu , Sambo , Yuguda, Babangida Aliyu et al ? All the 'old boys'  need successors. Ribadu , though new to politics , has done well IMO . The North should have learnt its lesson from the victory of GEJ. They cannot keep treating the rest of Nigeria with arrogance . If elections are free and fair then the North may struggle unless they start moving away from candidate like "Sharia" Yerima to put everything behind folks like Ribadu who are liked and marketable across the entire country. Many give various reasons for not voting Ribadu but how many state he is "hardcore" , "a fundamentalist" or accuse him of wanting to "Islamise Nigeria" ? For how things stand today . The North needs Ribadu if election rigging is now behind us .  He only needs to keep doing good and learning from his mistakes and a bright future beckons .

You are right on everything here except the north needs Ribadu , it is the other way round. Ribadu needs the north. For El rufai it could be the north needs him though. ( I have never been a fan of El Rufai but i see in him a pragmatic and wise person, he is not in a rush and had learnt from his time in govt.)

Ribadu should go align with Buhari right now in order to slavage his politcal career , this has been my whole point in this post. If i hated Ribadu i would not even bother with the thread but i genuinly feel for him and i think he has been used by Tinubu. He has no future in politics romancing with Tinubu.

In life before i venture into anything , i try to think long term and i ask my self the question " What price am i paying in future for the sweetness i could get now " . Perhaps if Ribadu asked himself this question he might have not joined the race under ACN now.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Kobojunkie: 4:14pm On Apr 18, 2011

[b]
(1)  A Political Party intending to change any of its candidates for any election shall inform the Commission of such change in writing  not later than 60 days to the election.
(2)     Any application made pursuant to subsection (1) of this section shall give cogent and verifiable reasons.
(3)  Except in the case of death, there shall be no substitution or replacement of any candidate whatsoever after the date referred to in subsection (1) of this section.

35.          The Commission shall, at least thirty (30) days before the day of the election publish by displaying or causing to be displayed at the place or places appointed for the delivery of nomination paper and such other places as it deems fit, a statement of the full names of all candidates standing nominated.
(1)   A candidate may withdraw his candidature by notice in writing signed by him and delivered by himself to the Political Party that nominated him for the election and the Political Party shall convey such withdrawal to the Commission and which shall only be allowed not later than 70 days to the election.
(2)   Where the Commission is satisfied that a candidate has withdrawn as provided in subsection (1) of this section, his Political Party shall be allowed to nominate another candidate not later than 60 days before the date of election.

[/b]

Courtesy of your good old electoral Act

http://www.dawodu.com/electoralact2006.htm
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 4:15pm On Apr 18, 2011
Kilode?!:

In politics, it's all about Interest. Integrity is highly subjective IMO.

Does Obama lack or have integrity when he has flipfloped on many campaign promises by negotiating with Republicans?

Do the Republicans have or lack integrity with the concessions they are being forced to give in to because they do not have full control of the US senate?

talkless of a system like Nigeria where our politics is based on almost NO ideological grounds. Integrity becomes a word that might only be useful in religious camps where people have definite principles almost set in stone.

Indeed. Lagosboy himself will confess I have told him the same thing many times . There are no hard and fast rules that condemn candidates permanently in the minds of most voters. Otherwise , for example, we will see folks unanimously rejecting GEJ for his role in the Teslim Folarin murder acquittal . it is just unwise to make empirically sweeping statements about Nigerian politics especially concerning what signifies future potentials and prospects . I think , in reality , the North will realise that the game has changed forever and they need folks like Ribadu and El Rufai , more than ever , rather than continue backing and promoting tainted candidates who are simply a hard sell outside the North.  You are correct , IMO, that the future is bright for Ribadu. By virtue of how all the old boys are now gone and with how Ribadu has made a brave foray into highest level politics , allied with how he is seen as progressive, he may be now be highly treasured by a North that must change its approach to suit the rest of Nigeria rather than the other way round .
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 4:21pm On Apr 18, 2011
Gbawe:

Indeed. Lagosboy himself will confess I have told him the same thing many times . There are no hard and fast rules that condemn candidates permanently in the minds of most voters. Otherwise , for example, we will see folks unanimously rejecting GEJ for his role in the Teslim Folarin murder acquittal . it is just unwise to make empirically sweeping statements about Nigerian politics especially concerning what signifies future potentials and prospects . I think , in reality , the North will realise that the game has changed forever and they need folks like Ribadu and El Rufai , more than ever , rather than continue backing and promoting tainted candidates who are simply a hard sell outside the North. You are correct , IMO, that the future is bright for Ribadu. By virtue of how all the old boys are now gone and with how Ribadu has made a brave foray into highest level politics , allied with how he is seen as progressive, he may be now be highly treasured by a North that must change its approach to suit the rest of Nigeria rather than the other way round .

Anyway Gbawe let us all join hands in working hard for 2015 , we should not give up and the struggle must continue. We in BB team on NL formed a group and we would appreciate you guys on the Ribadu team to work with us towards 2015. We started online but we never know how far we will go but with dedication and hardwork of 3 years we could go places. We all share loads in common and our minor differences is no issue at all.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 4:47pm On Apr 18, 2011
Lagosboy:

You are right on everything here except the north needs Ribadu , it is the other way round. Ribadu needs the north. For El rufai it could be the north needs him though. ( I have never been a fan of El Rufai but i see in him a pragmatic and wise person, he is not in a rush and had learnt from his time in govt.)

Ribadu should go align with Buhari right now in order to slavage his politcal career , this has been my whole point in this post. If i hated Ribadu i would not even bother with the thread but i genuinly feel for him and i think he has been used by Tinubu. He has no future in politics romancing with Tinubu.

In life before i venture into anything , i try to think long term and i ask my self the question " What price am i paying in future for the sweetness i could get now " . Perhaps if Ribadu asked himself this question he might have not joined the race under ACN now.

My brother , El rufai may simply just not be as brave or as ambitious as Ribadu. We cannot confer on folks qualities they don't have simply because we don't know what they are thinking . You cannot call EL Rufai "pragmatic and wise" because he is happy to stay out of politics. He may just not be interested or he may lack self belief .

Without belabouring the point , I think it will be obvious to the North that the game is up . In 2015 not much will have changed as far as the visible candidates they have who can be made more attractive than Ribadu.  It was that consideration that led the NPLF into desperately sticking with Atiku. The North will now have to look at issues pragmatically . It may be obvious they don't have much choices beyond the few young and detribalised Northerners, popular across Nigeria,  if they want to wrestle power from GEJ and avoid another embarassing defeat.

Wether we like to admit it or not , Ribadu played oppostion politics very well . In fact he was better than everyone else with his public and constant issue-based criticism of the policies of GEJ and the PDP while others remained silent . This is why , rather than align with Buhari as you suggest , Ribadu should weigh his options carefully based on what happens in the near future . The effort to defeat the PDP in 2015 should start now , with deliberate strategy and policies,  and not in December 2014.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by BP(m): 4:51pm On Apr 18, 2011
Gbawe and others, I must admit that your posts have been very very enlightening for me.

While I come to NL to get some laughs from the funny and snide remarks, I also make it a point of duty to read almost anything posted by Gbawe and Jarus. Even though I didn't vote for your candidate(I voted GEJ), I have always enjoyed the calmness and level-headed intelligence with which Gbawe makes his points.

And thanks to you guys for totally ignoring KoboJunkie in your discussions. GOD bless you guys for carrying on as if she doesn't exist.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by OAM4J: 4:56pm On Apr 18, 2011
I wish that Ribadu bounces back. I really wish.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 4:59pm On Apr 18, 2011
Lagosboy:

Anyway Gbawe let us all join hands in working hard for 2015 , we should not give up and the struggle must continue. [/b]We in BB team on NL formed a group and we would appreciate you guys on the Ribadu team to work with us towards 2015. We started online but we never know how far we will go but with dedication and hardwork of 3 years we could go places. We all share loads in common and our minor differences is no issue at all.

I am with you on that one and that is why I wrote above that :
The effort to defeat the PDP in 2015 should start now , with deliberate strategy and policies,  and not in December 2014.

Much as I like and respect Buhari , what I write above was his weakness IMO . If Ribadu, Fashola, El Rufai and other progressives can join hands to practice modern and cutting edge opposition politics then the PDP ,[b] if they continue to mess up
, will surely go in 2015 . Jonathan won because many saw him as a good guy in a bad Party.  4 years of "business as usual" leadership from GEJ will make it easy for him to be dismissed if the opposition has not been asleep and disunited . Folks will drop the "good man in a bad Party" illusion with 4 years of poor leadership from GEJ.  

Man mi , you are from the SW . Why not join us in the ACN? I plan to run for office in 2015 myself . I accept some of your criticism of the ACN but it is the best platform in the SW right now and it can be made better if progressive folks continue to strengthen the ideological backbone of the Party.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 5:05pm On Apr 18, 2011
Gbawe:

Much as I like and respect Buhari , what I write above was his weakness IMO . If Ribadu, Fashola, El Rufai and other progressives can join hands to practice modern and cutting edge opposition politics then the PDP , if they continue to mess up , will surely go in 2015 . Jonathan won because many saw him as a good guy in a bad Party. 4 years of "business as usual" leadership from GEJ make it easy for him to be dismissed if the opposition has not been asleep and disunited . Folks will drop the good man in a bad Party illusion with 4 years of poor leadership from GEJ.

Man mi , you are from the SW . Why not join us in the ACN? I plan to run for office in 2015 myself . I accept some of your criticism of the ACN but it is the best platform in the SW right now and it can be made better if progressive folks continue to strengthen the ideological backbone of the Party.

It seems most of us have ambitions wink

ACN ? ? ? undecided I would not bet on it smiley

Could you shoot me an email please on lagosboynl@gmail.com
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by nulldev: 5:10pm On Apr 18, 2011
Gbawe:

My brother , El rufai may simply just not be as brave or as ambitious as Ribadu. We cannot confer on folks qualities they don't have simply because we don't know what they are thinking . You cannot call EL Rufai "pragmatic and wise" because he is happy to stay out of politics. He may just not be interested or he may lack self belief .

Without belabouring the point , I think it will be obvious to the North that the game is up . In 2015 not much will have changed as far as the visible candidates they have who can be made more attractive than Ribadu.  It was that consideration that led the NPLF into desperately sticking with Atiku. The North will now have to look at issues pragmatically . It may be obvious they don't have much choices beyond the few young and detribalised Northerners, popular across Nigeria,  if they want to wrestle power from GEJ and avoid another embarassing defeat.

Wether we like to admit it or not , Ribadu played oppostion politics very well . In fact he was better than everyone else with his public and constant issue-based criticism of the policies of GEJ and the PDP while others remained silent . This is why , rather than align with Buhari as you suggest , Ribadu should weigh his options carefully based on what happens in the near future . The effort to defeat the PDP in 2015 should start now , with deliberate strategy and policies,  and not in December 2014.

Well said Gbawe, I really hope he sticks with ACN and remains visible in the opposition and starts building towards 2015 now rather than wait till 2014. I honestly think CPC will go the way of ANPP and cease to be relevant within a decade so no point joining a party that is no more than the Buhari presidential ambition vehicle with no shortage of the criminals that he is supposedly running away from.

I believe more than any alliance, a lot of the general populace saw this as a North v South election, hell my parents voted GEJ because they believe it will be some sort of final blow on northern domination. I assumed this line of thinking was isolated but when I actually got to Lagos last week it was pretty apparent how it was going to go. Ribadu is not part of the generation of northerners that helped to build that impression and making a clean break from the people of that era will be a much better decision.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 5:20pm On Apr 18, 2011
nulldev:

Well said Gbawe, I really hope he sticks with ACN and remains visible in the opposition and starts building towards 2015 now rather than wait till 2014. I honestly think CPC will go the way of ANPP and cease to be relevant within a decade so no point joining a party that is no more than the Buhari presidential ambition vehicle with no shortage of the criminals that he is supposedly running away from.

I believe more than any alliance, a lot of the general populace saw this as a North v South election, hell my parents voted GEJ because they believe it will be some sort of final blow on northern domination. I assumed this line of thinking was isolated but when I actually got to Lagos last week it was pretty apparent how it was going to go. Ribadu is not part of the generation of northerners that helped to build that impression and making a clean break from the people of that era will be a much better decision.

You are looking at politics from a southern perspective. You have to look at it as well from a nothern perspective, ACN is labelled a regional party for a reason of which it is true. Ribadu needs to be accepted in his base for him to have any political success , this is the reality. Once you have a base you can form any alliance you have. Ribadu might be better of if he joins buhari now as he will have acceptance in the north , this is the reality. Northern politics is different from SW politics, they are miles apart.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Kilode1: 5:21pm On Apr 18, 2011
Lagosboy:

It seems most of us have ambitions wink

ACN ? ? ? undecided I would not bet on it smiley

hmm wink
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by OAM4J: 5:29pm On Apr 18, 2011
Gbawe:

Much as I like and respect Buhari , what I write above was his weakness IMO . I[b]f Ribadu, Fashola, El Rufai and other progressives can join hands to practice modern and cutting edge opposition politics[/b] then the PDP , if they continue to mess up , will surely go in 2015 . Jonathan won because many saw him as a good guy in a bad Party.  4 years of "business as usual" leadership from GEJ will make it easy for him to be dismissed if the opposition has not been asleep and disunited . Folks will drop the "good man in a bad Party" illusion with 4 years of poor leadership from GEJ.  

I really desire the bold but I doubt there will be any serious merger among the Northern and Southern progressives anytime soon. Not the way ACN is presently structured and managed by Tinubu. I agree he is a necessary evil for the emancipation of the SW. But imagine a situation where your political ambition in ACN is only feasible if Tinubu and not majority of the party members approves it. Also I doubt other progressives from other zones will want to touch ACN as it is. Not until it is clear ACN does not stand for Asiwaju Congress of Nigeria. Mind you I am form Lagos SW.

And may I remind you that the dream of one progressive party did not start in December 2010. What happened to all the merger talks/meetings? Why was it not possible for Falae, Buhari, Bafarawa, Utomi and Tunubu to agree to work together? How are we sure the same reasons will not stop any future merger talk? IMO, the personal interests of  some of the key progressives members still override our collective national interest. I wish am wrong but I see the status quo remaining for a long while.

I wish you and lagosboy well in your political career and I hope with time we will get to know each other better. wink
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by OAM4J: 5:33pm On Apr 18, 2011
Lagosboy:

You are looking at politics from a southern perspective. You have to look at it as well from a nothern perspective, ACN is labelled a regional party for a reason of which it is true. Ribadu needs to be accepted in his base for him to have any political success , this is the reality. Once you have a base you can form any alliance you have. Ribadu might be better of if he joins buhari now as he will have acceptance in the north , this is the reality. Northern politics is different from SW politics, they are miles apart.

+1
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Gbawe: 5:34pm On Apr 18, 2011
Lagosboy:

It seems most of us have ambitions  wink

ACN ? ? ?  undecided I would not bet on it  smiley

Done . I don holla you .
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Kobojunkie: 5:36pm On Apr 18, 2011
Gbawe:

That explains a whole lot !!!
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 5:38pm On Apr 18, 2011
OAM4J:

I really desire the bold but I doubt there will be any serious merger among the Northern and Southern progressives anytime soon. Not the way ACN is presently structured and managed by Tinubu. I agree he is a necessary evil for the emancipation of the SW. But imagine a situation where your political ambition in ACN is only feasible if Tinubu and not majority of the party members approves it. Also I doubt other progressives from other zones will want to touch ACN as it is. Not until it is clear ACN does not stand for Asiwaju Congress of Nigeria. Mind you I am form Lagos SW.

And may I remind you that the dream of one progressive party did not start in December 2010. What happened to all the merger talks/meetings? Why was it not possible for Falae, Buhari, Bafarawa, Utomi and Tunubu to agree to work together? How are we sure the same reasons will not stop any future merger talk? IMO, the personal interests of  some of the key progressives members still override our collective national interest. I wish am wrong but I see the status quo remaining for a long while.

I wish you and lagosboy well in your political career and I hope with time we will get to know each other better. wink

you are very right bro, in fact too correct.

I think after saturday elections Tinubu shoul dhave served his purpose and ACN should rid themselves of Tinubu to enable all the progressives unite. I am from Lagos and i will never fancy being a slave to anyone, a situation where a local govt chairman cannot emerge without approval from Bourdiloun is insanity IMO
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by Lagosboy: 5:39pm On Apr 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

That explains a whole lot !!!

Abeg leave Gbawa he is ACN and has to defend the party in times of thick and thin grin grin
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by nulldev: 6:18pm On Apr 18, 2011
Lagosboy:

True but in the end we will still be at an impasse. Do you reckon CPC will survive Buhari? I highly doubt it because if he walks away I cannot see any strong personality that can take over from him. It it ironic you mention El Rufai as he carries the same guilty by association with OBJ tag that Ribadu does up north and I read somewhere (cannot remember where now) that he got a hostile reception in Abuja on Saturday.
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by nulldev: 6:29pm On Apr 18, 2011
@Gbawe, me too grin 7th.hierarch@gmail.com
Re: Ribadu's Expensive Gamble by mbulela: 8:18pm On Apr 18, 2011
OAM4J:

end of discussion.
until the bold part is clearly resolved, we might be dancing on the spot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigeria Came Into Being On Oct 1,1960, Not 1914, Don’t Distort History — Fashola / What Sam Mbakwe Had To Say While Jailed By The Military Junta / Nigeria Has The Oldest Fighter Jets In The World - Alex Badeh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.