Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,973 members, 7,821,409 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:34 PM

Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? (28571 Views)

Nonchalant Wicked Attitude Of Most Employer. / See Why My Oga Sacked Me This Morning. Did I Do Wrong? / Dear New Hires, Stop Coming Into Organizations With Messiah Attitude. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by marwanafrica: 11:38pm On Apr 13, 2021
Kenoxman:
All These stress and embarrassment on top 25k that wouldn't carry u for 3 weeks? And to even think it's a temporary engagement. Pls take my advice; whenever u are looking for a job,never be broke. Have a small biz or skill that fetches u income no matter how small. That way u are more confident and stand a better chance at negotiation with these exploiters that call themselves employers. You don't fall for anything cos u are not desperate and u give them terms and conditions instead of vice versa. All u need do is to develop urself and be highly resourceful and watch them bend to ur whim. Never been to an interview in corporate dressing. All I do is dress smart. Do any how and I tender my resignation and move on. Anyway, I had to give up on a salaried job cos of issue of TIME. Instead of gettin stucked in a modern day slavery in the name of job, I rather use it to pursue a number of legitimate hustle. Rest,flex and still make far more money while keeping my sanity. Never be broke while searching for a job!

Please share with me bro, legitmate hustle like what and what?
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Obiwank: 12:01am On Apr 14, 2021
So sad to read this and you are even asking if you did anything wrong.

Sadder that ordinary people make the life of fellow citizens tougher. No empathy and yet we easily blame leaders.

Better opportunities will come your way!

1 Like

Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Sikay19(m): 12:22am On Apr 14, 2021
HoneyBadgerr:
Kindly check your dm sir
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by bluefilm: 2:33am On Apr 14, 2021
Sikay19:
Hello members,
This is a long post and may include some errors. kindly ignore the blunders therein.

So, here it goes.

I was informed of a job offer at one of these LAPO MFB. As requested I went there to submit my application letter along with the credentials.

Getting there, I met with the branch manager. We exchanged greetings, he asked me to sit and thereafter we discussed about the job offer that the pay is #25000 and it is a three months program.

The necessity of hiring extra hands was because they have a target to meet within that stipulated time. During our interaction he went through my letter and eventually told me it wasn't within his capacity to employ that he would have to call me later today or certainly tomorrow after he must have met with the higher authority. that's how we rounded up our discussion and I left his office.

Few hours later, I received his call that I should come right away of which I was busy far away from the place coupled with that I had no transport fare to meet up.

Consequent to that, He asked me to come the following day by 8am. Noting this I went there though before going I had no office shoe as I long forgone anything like corporate work even though I was a teacher wayback.

As to this effect, I didn't want that to be an excuse for me not to go there so I dressed neatly though not tucked in because it wouldn't be proper to tuck in with slide footwear also I trekked to the place even though it's far but that's not a problem anyway.

When I got there at that time I had to wait because they were having morning meeting. After some minutes, He called me in, he asked me some questions about my name, address and others. He proceeded to tell me what he had said the day before. Thereafter, He said I would have to go their state office at Oshogbo to collect a letter indicating my employment . more like a traveling to the place costing me #1500. ordinarily that shouldn't be a problem but I didn't have that money to make the travel that's what I said.

He said the company would settle me on my return. As I was about to seek permission to go outside to make calls. One of them started talking scolding me that I shouldn't have said that I do not have money and my mode of dressing blah blah. I eventually went out to make the calls but I couldn't get any help because it was too sudden.

I went in to tell them, he returned my credentials. that was how I left.

Insults and blames are welcome but be objective please. thank you.

So sorry for your situation.

It's really a pity
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by bamasite2: 3:27am On Apr 14, 2021
You nailed it!

And I explained more here in this free video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej_quu4PIaw

Kenoxman:
All These stress and embarrassment on top 25k that wouldn't carry u for 3 weeks? And to even think it's a temporary engagement. Pls take my advice; whenever u are looking for a job,never be broke. Have a small biz or skill that fetches u income no matter how small. That way u are more confident and stand a better chance at negotiation with these exploiters that call themselves employers. You don't fall for anything cos u are not desperate and u give them terms and conditions instead of vice versa. All u need do is to develop urself and be highly resourceful and watch them bend to ur whim. Never been to an interview in corporate dressing. All I do is dress smart. Do any how and I tender my resignation and move on. Anyway, I had to give up on a salaried job cos of issue of TIME. Instead of gettin stucked in a modern day slavery in the name of job, I rather use it to pursue a number of legitimate hustle. Rest,flex and still make far more money while keeping my sanity. Never be broke while searching for a job!
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Nobody: 4:08am On Apr 14, 2021
Sikay19:

Kindly check your dm sir

Errr...that email is not a regular one for me, but I sent some cash to your account hours ago (I put my moniker in the description)
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Sikay19(m): 4:33am On Apr 14, 2021
HoneyBadgerr:

Errr...that email is not a regular one for me, but I sent some cash to your account hours ago (I put my moniker in the description)
I have seen it sir. that's why I wanted to show my gratitude but having seen that you later edited your comment to empty content I thought you didn't want it to be open. That's why I decided to reach you privately to appreciate your generosity. may God bless you in multiple folds. Givers never lack, thank you so much.

2 Likes

Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Tapout(m): 6:29am On Apr 14, 2021
Sikay19:

Thank you sir. and to think that I could have been informed earlier like a day before when he called me on phone. that would have ignited my preparation prior to that time.

Sorry, It was a letter or employment not form I meant to write sir.

my neighbor just got a new job offer, after 4 different stages of interview, got his offer letter and guess what? All that was done from the comfort of his room. The only time he stepped out was to go for his medicals and cyber cafe to scan singed documents and send back which he could have also done on his own if he had a scanner. You never get the job dem wan begin stress your life. You will get a better one

2 Likes

Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Publiccompound: 7:04am On Apr 14, 2021
Tapout:

my neighbor just got a new job offer, after 4 different stages of interview, got his offer letter and guess what? All that was done from the comfort of his room. The only time he stepped out was to go for his medicals and cyber cafe to scan singed documents and send back which he could have also done on his own if he had a scanner. You never get the job dem wan begin stress your life. You will get a better one
Sikay19:
Hello members,
This is a long post and may include some errors. kindly ignore the blunders therein.

So, here it goes.

I was informed of a job offer at one of these LAPO MFB. As requested I went there to submit my application letter along with the credentials.

Getting there, I met with the branch manager. We exchanged greetings, he asked me to sit and thereafter we discussed about the job offer that the pay is #25000 and it is a three months program.

The necessity of hiring extra hands was because they have a target to meet within that stipulated time. During our interaction he went through my letter and eventually told me it wasn't within his capacity to employ that he would have to call me later today or certainly tomorrow after he must have met with the higher authority. that's how we rounded up our discussion and I left his office.

Few hours later, I received his call that I should come right away of which I was busy far away from the place coupled with that I had no transport fare to meet up.

Consequent to that, He asked me to come the following day by 8am. Noting this I went there though before going I had no office shoe as I long forgone anything like corporate work even though I was a teacher wayback.

As to this effect, I didn't want that to be an excuse for me not to go there so I dressed neatly though not tucked in because it wouldn't be proper to tuck in with slide footwear also I trekked to the place even though it's far but that's not a problem anyway.

When I got there at that time I had to wait because they were having morning meeting. After some minutes, He called me in, he asked me some questions about my name, address and others. He proceeded to tell me what he had said the day before. Thereafter, He said I would have to go their state office at Oshogbo to collect a letter indicating my employment . more like a traveling to the place costing me #1500. ordinarily that shouldn't be a problem but I didn't have that money to make the travel that's what I said.

He said the company would settle me on my return. As I was about to seek permission to go outside to make calls. One of them started talking scolding me that I shouldn't have said that I do not have money and my mode of dressing blah blah. I eventually went out to make the calls but I couldn't get any help because it was too sudden.

What you did from my perspective was wrong.
1. You have no excuse for not dressing well, first impression matters. You can borrow. You won't dress like that for a CBN job offer
2. What you were told may not be the true salary. So I was told only to discover my salary was far more
3. Picking calls was a wrong move. It shows disregard for authority. You can always call back Bro
4. Do not dispise the days of little beginning. I once did a job of 7k per month. Today the story has changed

Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Sikay19(m): 7:40am On Apr 14, 2021
Publiccompound:
What you did from my perspective was wrong.
1. You have no excuse for not dressing well, first impression matters. You can borrow. You won't dress like that for a CBN job offer
2. What you were told may not be the true salary. So I was told only to discover my salary was far more
3. Picking calls was a wrong move. It shows disregard for authority. You can always call back Bro
4. Do not dispise the days of little beginning. I once did a job of 7k per month. Today the story has changed

Your points are noted sir. But kindly advise me on these :

1 ) How would I have helped myself when I wore I have sir ?

2) As a matter of fact, I don't have problem with the salary amount as I didn't complain about it in my post.

3) You seem not to understand this part. I sought permission to make calls if I could get help from FnF and he instructed that I should go outside to do that not that I picked the call. I will never do such unethical thing.

4) Since, I didn't complain about my salary. There's no where in my post that portrays me despising my little beginnings. As a matter of fact I have collected #3500 as salary before when I was revenue collector for Internal Revenue Service. There and then, #8500 as a class teacher.

You may need to read my post again sir.

Good morning
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by willexyaho(m): 8:04am On Apr 14, 2021
Sikay19:
Hello members,

So, here it goes.

Is like they just wanted to test your ability of wondering around to looking for 2 person that will look for two for them.

God will give you a better job.

1 Like

Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Psoul(m): 8:49am On Apr 14, 2021
Sikay19:
Hello members,

So, here it goes.

Let me start by giving you this analogy.
When I go to standard Cafe to eat. I expect thing to be of good quality and standard. The service and even the people serving the food.
In a local buka, I don't get angry wen the service is poor. And I see people shouting about the service as if they are making noise.

Now, if you have gone to this place for employment and they told u what they want to pay you and all that. You accepted. I expect you to be patient and display employable characters.

You shouldn't expect there services to be like that of Standard commercial bank or NNPC.
How dare you tell your prospective employer (during interview) that you don't have money to go pick up ur employment letter.
That is rude and unethical.
I expect you to accept that and say thank you to them.
If it is necessary, wait for the man to come out, give him brief story of hw things are hard for u.
Tell him to give u 2 days to rally round get transport money to go pick up the letter and start work.
He may be sympathetic and even offer to give u the money or get the letter down to his office for u.

Secondly, your dressing was so bad. You don't dress that way for an interview.
Dress the way you will like to be addressed.
Who knows, if u had dressed better, they may not have asked you to go to their state office to pick up ur letter.
They may not have easily hand over ur credentials back to you.
They would've seen u as a great asset to be.
You dressed in a way that made them look at u as a no body.
Hw can you go to seek for job looking like a poverty ridden person.
Are you seeking for job or sympathy?
If they give you the job and tomorrow you start wearing good cloth and u want to talk,
they will say...look at this one that couldn't even afford a simply wear for an interview not to talk of transport money to pick up his appointment letter has even started making noise in this office.
Oga, no matter how poor you are, you can still reserve some respect for urself.

The attitudes u displayed made u un-employable.
Forget about hw much u think they want to pay.
You should make amends in case of another opportunity.

4 Likes

Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by pedrilo: 8:53am On Apr 14, 2021
Joysticks:
I like your gut.Cant the branch at osogbo fax the letter of employment to their Lagos office so that they can print it out and hand it over to you?The salary is even poor.I don tire for work.Na bandit kidnappers I wan do.A very lucrative business
every company with their recruitment policy, u shud respect that.
if their policy says, go to osogbo for interview, documentation and training, respect their policy sir.
i have traveled from warri to lagos, port harcourt and enugu to attend interview for various commercial bank jobs even wen the said banks had branches in my city (warri)
if i dnt hav tfare to transport myself to d interview venue, thats my issue not the bank's
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by pedrilo: 8:56am On Apr 14, 2021
pocohantas:
It is good you didn’t go to that Oshogbo.

Do you know the life of a sales person? It is hard enough in TIER 1 commercial banks that are known, now imagine selling LAPO.

You say you don’t have office shoes? Had it been you took the job, you would buy one Aba shoe, but when you are done trekking inside Oshogbo market, body go tell you.

All the market women go know you. Them go post you tire.

Nobody will tell you to run.
Op did nt present d true story as someone already pointed out that its an AH-HOC job involving data entry for their new banking software and this has notin to do with marketing/sales
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by pedrilo: 8:57am On Apr 14, 2021
deebrain:
You didn't not do anything wrong.

And like seriously, is this what our so-called companies are doing to people now?

The company tells you to go to a particular location to collect your letter --- using your own money-- is TOTALLY wrong! They have (according to what they appeared to do) given you the job. They are to either post it or deliver it to you, with expenses borne by them.

It is well.
every company with their recruitment policy, u shud respect that.
if their policy says, go to osogbo for interview, documentation and training, respect their policy sir.
i have traveled from warri to lagos, port harcourt and enugu to attend interview for various commercial bank jobs even wen the said banks had branches in my city (warri)
if i dnt hav tfare to transport myself to d interview venue, thats my issue not the bank's
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by pedrilo: 8:58am On Apr 14, 2021
lollytk:
My younger sister had similar experience years back but with SEAP microfinance bank, she was called 2 hours before interview without a prior notice, she wasn't close to the house and wouldn't be possible to make it home to change within the short notice, so she was rejected based on her dressing ( Jean and top), she later got another microfinance job in Lagos , she had to quit after 6months due to stress and target problem , she's in united kingdom now doing well. Don't give up on yourself, don't hang on a closed door, greater things lies ahead.
SEAP sends employees to ilorin while LAPO sends to oshogbo cry
most of these MFBs dont have strong corporate governance. they do tins mostly based on impulse. not structure honestly

1 Like

Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by pedrilo: 8:59am On Apr 14, 2021
camronid:
You went for an Ad HOC Job which is temporary. As for you going to Osogbo, that is their Zonal office, No individual branch has the right to issue you an employment letter. You need to go there for processing and documentation.
hmmmm the truth is gradually coming out, do u work with them?
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by pedrilo: 9:00am On Apr 14, 2021
Sikay19:

Yes, You maybe right sir. And I also agreed that there is protocol for every business as stated in my write up sir. However, I wouldn't have worried or complained if I had the money to go there.. that's the bone of contention here. thanks for your opinion sir.
if u dnt have money to transport urself to the interview/ job selection point, what then is ur bone of contention here sir?
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by pedrilo: 9:09am On Apr 14, 2021
Sikay19:

Your points are noted sir. But kindly advise me on these :

1 ) How would I have helped myself when I wore I have sir ?

2) As a matter of fact, I don't have problem with the salary amount as I didn't complain about it in my post.

3) You seem not to understand this part. I sought permission to make calls if I could get help from FnF and he instructed that I should go outside to do that not that I picked the call. I will never do such unethical thing.

4) Since, I didn't complain about my salary. There's no where in my post that portrays me despising my little beginnings. As a matter of fact I have collected #3500 as salary before when I was revenue collector for Internal Revenue Service. There and then, #8500 as a class teacher.

You may need to read my post again sir.

Good morning
honestly, all i see here is opportunity (no matter how valuable) meets unpreparedness
there is need for u to transport urself to a job selection point, but u dnt hav the means.
cant blame u for that, cant blame LAPO either
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by PlsBanMe: 9:11am On Apr 14, 2021
Psoul:

When I go to standard Cafe to eat. I expect thing to be of good quality and standard. The service and even the people serving the food.
In a local buka, I don't get angry wen the service is poor. And I see people shouting about the service as if they are making noise.

Now, if you have gone to this place for employment and they told u what they want to pay you and all that. You accepted. I expect you to be patient and display employable characters.

You shouldn't expect there services to be like that of Standard commercial bank or NNPC.
How dare you tell your prospective employer (during interview) that you don't have money to go pick up ur employment letter.
If it is necessary, wait for the man to come out, give him brief story of hw things are hard for u.
Tell him to give u 2 days to rally round get transport money to go pick up the letter and start work.
He may be sympathetic and even offer to give u the money or get the letter down to his office for u.

Who knows, if u had dressed better, they may not have asked you to go to their state office to pick up ur letter.
If they give you the job and tomorrow you start wearing good cloth and u want to talk,
they will say...look at this one that couldn't even afford a simply wear for an interview not to talk of transport money to pick up his appointment letter has even started making noise in this office.

Easy on this young chap. Will you sir?

Now, you said he shouldn't expect their services to be like that of a standard bank or NNPC, yet you expect him to dress as he would to a job interview in a standard bank or NNPC.

May I also say that there is nothing wrong in him being truthful and open about saying he has no T fare to go pick up that APL. I guess you would have rather pretended all was well. This guy knows what he is passing through. He knows he has no one to help him. He even tried to call people to be of help.

There is no crime going for a job 'looking like a poverty ridden person'. After all, that's exactly why he is looking for a legitimate job.

If the guy at that branch has given him money and he has gotten the APL, I guess you wouldn't be saying this.

Seek help when in need. Pride and pretence often take men nowhere.

Lots of people in this ill governed country are going through though times. It isn't a crime to be poor. It is a crime to not make attempts to leave the life of poverty. Since the OP is doing all he can to get out of his problems, don't apportion blames.

3 Likes

Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Sikay19(m): 9:20am On Apr 14, 2021
Psoul:

Your points are noted sir. I shall take to some lessons derived from there. I appreciate it. have a nice day sir
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Sikay19(m): 9:23am On Apr 14, 2021
PlsBanMe:

Now, you said he shouldn't expect their services to be like that of a standard bank or NNPC, yet you expect him to dress as he would to a job interview in a standard bank or NNPC.

May I also say that there is nothing wrong in him being truthful and open about saying he has no T fare to go pick up that APL. I guess you would have rather pretended all was well. This guy knows what he is passing through. He knows he has no one to help him. He even tried to call people to be of help.

There is no crime going for a job 'looking like a poverty ridden person'. After all, that's exactly why he is looking for a legitimate job.

If the guy at that branch has given him money and he has gotten the APL, I guess you wouldn't be saying this.

Lots of people in this ill governed country are going through though times. It isn't a crime to be poor. It is a crime to not make attempts to leave the life of poverty. Since the OP is doing all he can to get out of his problems, don't apportion blames.
Thank you very much for speaking from my position sir. You actually explained it as it is. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Psoul(m): 10:46am On Apr 14, 2021
Sikay19:

Your points are noted sir. I shall take to some lessons derived from there. I appreciate it. have a nice day sir
You are teacheable. I love your spirit.
More better opportunities ahead

1 Like

Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Psoul(m): 11:12am On Apr 14, 2021
PlsBanMe:

Thank you for ur comment bro.
Let me still say this:

I am not expecting him to go and wear designers suite, shirt and shoes, but it's out of place to wear flip flop slippers with flying shirt for an interview even if you are going for an interview for a position of gateman.
At least you should leave a little respect for urself. Don't wear ur condition on ur face.

Yes, there is nothing wrong in bn truthful about the T/fare. But the timing made it wrong.
Imagine this discussion:
Interviewer: Mr. A we have gone through your application and other documents and we have decided to give a chance in this bank
Mr. A: Thank you Sir.
Interviewer: You'll have to proceed to our Head Office at XYZ to pick up your appointment letter. Congratulations.
Mr. A: Sir, I don't have transport money to go to that place for that appointment letter.

How will u feel if you are the interviewer? I expected the young guy to accept the offer and if he feels like getting help from the interviewers, he should wait a bit for them to get done wt him and meet the leader of the group.
Alternatively, go home first and try ur luck. What he did showed that he will lack initiative to figure out his ways when he meet difficult situations in the course of doing the job if given opportunity.

Don't wear ur problems on ur face. He can even tell his interviewers when asked, "can we know you" how he has suffered and how poverty has bn trying to beat him but he is not someone that gives in easily. Tel them many ways he had applied just to remain afloat and that he is not going to be deterred by any form of hardship from trying. Also tell them how he had to wake up very early cos he knew he had no money for transportation to attend this job interview and cos of his determinations, he had to trek about Bleep kilometers to be here. From here, they will understand why he was not able to dress well and him financial incapability. He had told them he is poor here and that was done in a lovely style. Don't take in bn poor.
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by maasoap(m): 1:21pm On Apr 14, 2021
Pharaoh4rin:

Yes. (Distractions from customers while texting)
The word "guy" can be generic, you know. .

That's why I asked, I didn't want to assume most especially when you mentioned the name of the man towards the end. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Vicktomaniaa(m): 2:37pm On Apr 14, 2021
Kenoxman:

Enlighten me on the legitimate hustle pls
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Kenoxman(m): 10:17pm On Apr 14, 2021
Vicktomaniaa:

Enlighten me on the legitimate hustle pls
It's nothing new or strange. same old format; what are the things you are passionate about? They must be able to generate reasonable income and not just a hobby. Make a list of these endeavours and go with the one you have more skills for.
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Kenoxman(m): 10:42pm On Apr 14, 2021
marwanafrica:

Please share with me bro, legitmate hustle like what and what?
Nothing new or strange. Observe the numerous hustles around you, make a list of the ones you hav passion for and then go for the one you are more skillful in.
Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Lordswat(m): 1:55pm On Apr 15, 2021
You nailed it all
Gbam!!!
Psoul:

Re: Did I Do Wrong With My Attitude ? by Psoul(m): 5:19pm On Apr 15, 2021
Lordswat:
You nailed it all
Gbam!!!

Thanks bro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Total E&P Nigeria CPFA Limited : 2019 Recruitment Programme Test Invite / Vic Lawrence And Associates Recruitment Test / Can I Survive With 50k Job In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.