Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,268 members, 7,829,553 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? (47756 Views)

Is Lexus ES 330 Truly Hard To Maintain? / Is Lexus IS 250 A Good Buy? / Advice : Is Lexus The Best Car To Buy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by purplekayc(m): 11:12am On Apr 17, 2021
ekene101:
Driving from akure to ondo
grin
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:12am On Apr 17, 2021
SarkinYarki:

First if all I hope you understand the difference between an IS and RX
I know. Just needed to add a picture cuz I don't take pictures from Accident scene. I mentioned that in one of the comments up there

1 Like

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by mu2sa2: 11:12am On Apr 17, 2021
PAQ:
You already stated some reasons why you see alot of written off IS250's. i am sure you are talking of the second generation IS250 (2005 - 2015), be mindful that the car is a compact sedan with alot of power; a V6 with top speed of 230 kph (143 mph) and and 0 - 100km in 7.6 seconds (a little bit faster as the years go by). It has a perfect 5 star rating in terms of crash tests done by NHTSA (National Highway Traffic System Administration) so that rules out any structural defects.

The reasons why you see them in such accidents are because:

- Is250/ 350 target audience are young people unlike its big brother ES350
- its the first car to some of its owners
- Its a fast car compared to your average commute
- The owners are the out going type & single, unlike ES350 whos owners are the conservative type & mostly family people
- The drivers are usually drunk or on drugs (intoxicated)

Now when you have a combination of a single, intoxicated, inexperienced driver with no responsibilities behind a fast machine feeling untop of the world because he has some money, what do you expect apart from beta accident??
GBAM! The way these kids drive at top speed even in built-up areas, maybe they think death is a respecter of age.
Lexus cars come with V6 engine - very powerful machines you don't toy with.
Btw, Is 250 is popular with kids, but es 300/330 are roomier inside and more comfortable to drive.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Kenmatt(m): 11:13am On Apr 17, 2021
OP, you used this your "write off" so many times in this writing and it almost becomes boring.
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:13am On Apr 17, 2021
purplekayc:
grin
Many don't know there's Ondo town inside Ondo state. Lol
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by purplekayc(m): 11:14am On Apr 17, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

Many don't know there's Ondo town inside Ondo state. Lol
yes, there's ondo town grin
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by LockDown69(m): 11:14am On Apr 17, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

I know. Just needed to add a picture cuz I don't take pictures from Accident scene
ok
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by DesChyko: 11:16am On Apr 17, 2021
9icetoo:

The bolded is one of the reasons the FRSC guy slapped you.

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Mamijoh(f): 11:20am On Apr 17, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

No you cannot make such claims based on pictures of wreaked cars be it Acura or Benz. You need to know the history of such accident before you conclude that the damage is either justified or not.
The examples I mentioned are incidents that I witnessed so I know that the level of wreakage looks a lot more exaggerated than the actual cause of the accident. Imagine a car that collided with a tree then getting to the spot and seeing that the car is so badly damaged that you could barely look under it. Know that this collision shouldn't have made this car this terribly damaged, you wonder if this has something to do with how the car was made.

It's totally different from lifting a picture online without having an in-depth knowledge of what exactly happened to the car and why it's so flat and assuming that just because the first car was badly damaged from a tree collision, this same car (which may had suffered a worse fate) is also badly damaged.
If a truck walks over a car and it's flat, the extend of damage is understandable but it becomes confusing if a car ran into a pillar and you see so many airbags and all the passengers squeezed together as if a truck walked over the car!
Hopefully you get my point.

This is not a topic I like to discuss any further, especially since I'm traveling again today and you just showed me my type of car in a terrible state. Thanks though, I'll drive carefully grin
Wishing you safe drive.
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Wickedfacts: 11:21am On Apr 17, 2021
Not only ls250, do you know how many people that useless RX330 has killed along that Benin Ore Rd?

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Whitecoal711: 11:22am On Apr 17, 2021
The pan no strong
More like built with broken plate or clay
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Nobody: 11:23am On Apr 17, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

Yes... Driving from Akure to Ondo. Meanwhile, that picture is from online pls. I don't take pictures from accident scenes cuz I believe it's disrespectful to whoever is involved.

If that's the case then you won't get accident pictures online, the essence of accident pictures is to educate people to minimize them.

Just because people disagree with you doesn't mean disrespect, learn to be mature.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by AmazingELixir: 11:27am On Apr 17, 2021
Kelvin30286063:
Over the last 2 years, I have seen over 8 accidents that involves a Lexus IS 250, I don't want to pin this down to anything but it's obvious that most yahoo Boys like the car and they buy it every now and then.

Knowing the wayward life of yahoo Boys, they are always reckless when they drive and most are either high or drunk thus the number of accidents involving this car. But one thing I've noticed in all of these accidents is the level of damage on that car every time.

The car is always a write off or almost a write off.
Just last week, I was driving from Akure to Ondo and I saw a lexus IS beside the road, it has been in an accident and as always, it was a write off and it has obviously been axed so as to get the occupants out.

I'm really curious, why is that car always a write off after an accident. It is the structure (cuz it's a small car) or just the seriousness of the accident?

I have seen other brands of cars involved in serious accidents and the car managed to maintain its structure so the driver could get out. Personally I don't think a car should be severely damaged if a big truck is not involved.
Aside that, IS 250 is a car I admire a lot.

Note: The picture attached to post is from online pls. I don't take pictures from accident scenes cuz I believe it's disrespectful to whoever is involved.

Op so you don't know Yahoo boys have curses following them....they seldom survive auto crash and for that to happen the cars have to be damaged enough so that passersby like you can see the severity of the curses that hovers over them....it has absolutely nothing to do with the brand of car but the occupants.
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Fretchy: 11:29am On Apr 17, 2021
The speed too. Much
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by onegig(m): 11:30am On Apr 17, 2021
chronos00:

Lol

Bros, you say I can't make comparisons, but its obvious that the entire purpose of your posts and this thread, is to compare the IS250 to other vehicles, Mercedes Benz models, for instance.

Those pictures I posted are pictures of 2012 Acura TL, the same model you own and drive, all mangled up, I strongly doubt that anybody survived those wrecks.

You're trying to create the impression that the IS250 is an unsafe vehicle, based on wrecks you claim to have come across. I could also make the same claim for the Acura, based on those pictures.

There are several factors that affect structural integrity. Prior collisions, unsafe handling, are a few of them. If the IS 250 were a structurally unsafe vehicle, that would have been revealed a long time ago by the people who buy these vehicles new, and who use them for hundreds of thousands of miles, before we receive them.

So bros, avoid the fallacy of hasty generalization. Anecdotes sound good, but aren't always factual.

This is absolute BS.

He observed something and is following through to ask questions. Instead of you to provide answers/facts/links or move on. You are invalidating his credible opinions.

How did you come to the conclusion that the is 250 is structurally safe? From what line are you pulling your dataset out from? Crash test performed by you?

He has seen 8 different cars of same model and they are a complete write off. That's a point of concern. Is it the owners (likely young adults) driving recklessly? Is it because of the low profile tyres used on these cars in Nigeria? Is the engines turbo charged so most drivers drive much faster and in the event of accidents those cars are severely damaged due to speed. Are the cars crumple zones made much more softer so as to take the shock and blow of an accident thus preventing serious injuries to the occupants? Not a single one of this did you answer or provide insights to.

Mtsshwweee

11 Likes

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by davidque: 11:32am On Apr 17, 2021
ekene101:

Seems you didn't know that there is a town called ondo inside ondo state. Ondo town is the second largest city after akure in ondo state
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Nobody: 11:36am On Apr 17, 2021
CocoaOla:
that the power of 300 horse power beast engines with small size light weight cars

always mind your speed and controls when you are in a high horse power small cars drive slowly speed kills

in the name of showing of Bugatti, Ferrari this thing as send many celebrities worldwide to early grave
you just said it all.....that is250 is a sport car.....but Nigerian just buy what they like without spec.....it’s like a horse race at oshodi market,the horse will eventually die
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by DAVE5(m): 11:37am On Apr 17, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

I was wondering where they got 300hp too. Obviously the size of that car can't carry a 300hp engine.

Are you serious?

The size of the car can’t carry 300hp?

Have you heard of is-f, it’s about 453hp, exact shape and size as the is250, it’s a performance variant of the IS

Ever heard of Hoonigan, a guy came to his show with a tuned Audi rs3 that had about 1100hp.
Check your facts sir

4 Likes

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Kelvin30286063(m): 11:40am On Apr 17, 2021
DAVE5:

Are you serious?

The size of the car can’t carry 300hp?

Have you heard of is-f, it’s about 453hp, exact shape and size as the is250, it’s a performance variant of the IS

Ever heard of Hoonigan, a guy came to his show with a tuned Audi rs3 that had about 1100hp.
Check your facts sir
I have checked and I have corrected myself. Sorry about that.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Wickedfacts: 11:40am On Apr 17, 2021
ekene101:

There is a city in Ondo State called Ondo Town. Akure is the state capital.
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Ibfpleasant(m): 11:41am On Apr 17, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

Yes... Driving from Akure to Ondo. Meanwhile, that picture is from online pls. I don't take pictures from accident scenes cuz I believe it's disrespectful to whoever is involved.
he actually thought there is no city called ondo.
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by DAVE5(m): 11:44am On Apr 17, 2021
HeavenlyBang:
Stupid thread.

Why are you always wicked nah
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Explorers(m): 11:54am On Apr 17, 2021
Depends on how fast the car was moving and the impact. Any car can write off.
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Sazeals(m): 11:54am On Apr 17, 2021
Kelvin30286063:

was someone not involved in this one

1 Like

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Bobxin: 11:56am On Apr 17, 2021
So, there was no picture of IS 250 involved in an accident online? undecided
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Bobxin: 11:57am On Apr 17, 2021
Sazeals:

was someone not involved in this one
Good question!
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Bobxin: 12:00pm On Apr 17, 2021
Ibfpleasant:
he actually thought there is no city called ondo.

Wahala be like be like ogbonor soup!
How's that even possible?
Traveling from Akure to Ondo.
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Nobody: 12:03pm On Apr 17, 2021
chronos00:

What vehicle would you say this is/was?

The bottom is Acura and the top Toyota Yaris or a Toyota
Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Ibfpleasant(m): 12:12pm On Apr 17, 2021
Bobxin:

How is it not possible?

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by Kelvin30286063(m): 12:14pm On Apr 17, 2021
Bobxin:

Everybody outside Ondo state thinks Ondo is a state. Akure is the capital of Ondo state, the largest city in Ondo state. ONDO town is the second largest city in ondo state and the state is named after it. Traveling from Akure to Ondo is 35 to 40 minutes.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by peeps4u: 12:17pm On Apr 17, 2021
AmazingELixir:

Op so you don't know Yahoo boys have curses following them....they seldom survive auto crash and for that to happen the cars have to be damaged enough so that passersby like you can see the severity of the curses that hovers over them....it has absolutely nothing to do with the brand of car but the occupants.

Doesn't really have to do with curses but their reckless and drunk driving. Most yahoo boys are reckless drivers. If a certain group of people (yahoo boys) are fond of this lifestyle, they are sure bound to be most victims of fatal accidents.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Lexus IS 250 Always A Write Off Whenever It's Involved In An Accident? by jaxxy(m): 12:56pm On Apr 17, 2021
Not every car is built with the safety standards satisfactory enough to handle the power, speed and maneuvers it delivers.

German cars are most reliable in build quality and safety standards.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

6 Important Vehicle Documents Police, FRSC & VIO Will Always Ask You / See What A Melting Road Did To Car Tyres After An Heavy Rain & Sun In Australia / Why Nigerians Are Not Buying Innoson Cars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.