Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,448 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? (15036 Views)

My Friend Faces Dilemmas Over A Partner's Child Adoption. / I Want To Give My Daughter Up For Adoption / Is Foreign Child Adoption Possible For Africans? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by GeneralPula: 3:50pm On Apr 20, 2021
Make man no go adopt wetin go kill ham ..

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Minjim: 3:51pm On Apr 20, 2021
It because people will tag you barren or impotent.

Moreover, adoption is expensive in Nigeria.
The NGOs lacked adequate supervision. So what happens there is actually selling of children

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Freestainworld(m): 3:52pm On Apr 20, 2021
Many people here in Nigeria prefer to buy babies from baby factorys, because they believe it's cheaper, and hussle free.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Armaggedon: 3:53pm On Apr 20, 2021
our way of life is different. Not many people are keen at introducing a 'blood' they know nothing about into a family.
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by McLizbae: 3:54pm On Apr 20, 2021
Because people don't want to add other people's generational curses to theirs. grin

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by OnlyDeCapPlease(m): 3:54pm On Apr 20, 2021
PrimadonnaO:
Please, folks in the house, what's the deal, really?

Why are many Nigerians seemingly averse to the option of adopting kids? Even when they've been waiting years to have kids of their own biologically?

Personally, I seem to be overcome with the idea of adoption. I'd love to have just one child biologically, then adopt one or two others.

But why is it a big deal in Nigeria?

I know the process is filled with lots of protocol. But is that such a deterrent?

Is it expensive, financially?

Is it really hard to love a child that's not your flesh and blood?

Lots of Nigerians living abroad go home to adopt.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by blackslayer: 3:55pm On Apr 20, 2021
Because inherently in our African culture....It takes a village to raise a child....Why adopt something you already own? We need to remain true to our culture and not try to inherit a foreign culture that is alien to the fabric of our existence.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by olawale1516(m): 3:56pm On Apr 20, 2021
Because the number of children given birth to by one parents is enough...
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by nedu2000(m): 4:00pm On Apr 20, 2021
There is this tendency for Nigerian women no to treat children that aren't biologically theirs with love and equity. That fact that they would rather remain without a child than to adopt is no surprise.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by 09085607453king: 4:00pm On Apr 20, 2021
I never see chop na to go add another belle?? Mama dey village dey wait make you send am money � nepa don cut ✂ your light, your house rent want expire .... Make I go adopt pikin .. Wey no be me Bleep give belle... Uncle think am naa

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by charlesucheh(m): 4:01pm On Apr 20, 2021
Nigerians prefer to go to the mountains for 1000 days and Nights to pray to the being they believe in just to have a child of their own rather than deceiving themselves taking care of children which deep within them, is not theirs.

We too hate ourselves for Africa., that's why it is not common. simple!!

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by SLOVFO(m): 4:01pm On Apr 20, 2021
Stigma. Culture. These are some of the reasons why Child adoption is not done openly in Nigeria. People resort now to literally feigning pregnancy and adopting or buying kids (from baby factories) secretly to pass them on to the public as their biological own. As for the cultural aspect of this, people see having kids as investment. So adopting and raising someone's else kid ,when there is likelihood that the parents may claim back the kid sometime in the future doesn't look like a good investment to many.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by DAramis: 4:02pm On Apr 20, 2021
God gave woman womb to bring forth children and multiply. A woman somewhere is encouraging giving birth to 1 child and adopting 2-3 children from outside. Please, what happens to your womb after giving birth to 1 child?

This issue is what most European and American people are passing through... low birth rate which leads to decreasing population. Who knows, tomorrow, you will come out and encourage Nigerians to stop giving birth but rather adopt dogs and cats as children (which is currently practised in most European countries).

People should learn to accept the fact that, just as the world is divided into continents, so are the cultures and traditions different among us all. STOP TRYING TO PUSH AMERICAN CULTURE DOWN OUR THROAT.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by bamisho: 4:03pm On Apr 20, 2021
I have always wanted to have 1 or 2 kids and adopt. if you truly love children why not adopt especially when you can't have your own. i think most of the so called love people claim to have for children is selfish if not you would nurture many homeless children that need that love

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by GeoAfrikana(m): 4:12pm On Apr 20, 2021
Barbsamiin:
Many parents nowadays adopted childrens that are not biologically theirs, they don't know.
So no need to reapply any adoption again.
Do you smoke, drink or sniff?

A honest question.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Vaughanlanrewaj: 4:14pm On Apr 20, 2021
Lostchild:

Nigerians don't adopt children. Adoption is not for us. We are religious and we have faith in God to help us in areas where we cant help ourself

I check your profile and i saw that you are even a Nigerian and you are asking all this questions

Nigeria is not America. Hope you get me.

You obviously don't know about it. Adoption is common in Lagos and due to how it is,nobody give a full page advertisement of it when they are successful at it. The only thing is that it take awhile in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by ominilongest(m): 4:15pm On Apr 20, 2021
Make I go adopt pikin wey go dey use me catch cruise for midnight grin
Na Naija we dey o

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by slimshady1000: 4:18pm On Apr 20, 2021
Cos Some Nigerians are myopic and hypocrites when it comes to love.
The narrative is :
The baby won't like or love u as your biological child would.
They also say; there's nothing like carrying your own child.
Its crappy and lame excuses borne out of their hatreds for the next guy.
Some Nigerians are very bitter and toxic.
I see white women with black children here in my city. And they call this white woman, mama!
As far as I'm concerned, children or babies doesn't know whether you are the biological parent or not. They will adopt you as theirs too if you love them and raise them.
I have three adopted and one biological baby. I don't care what anybody says.
They love me and I love them...

PrimadonnaO:

Why are many Nigerians seemingly averse to the option of adopting kids? Even when they've been waiting years to have kids of their own biologically?

Personally, I seem to be overcome with the idea of adoption. I'd love to have just one child biologically, then adopt one or two others.

I know the process is filled with lots of protocol. But is that such a deterrent?

7 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by felixnkubi: 4:24pm On Apr 20, 2021
I think it's cultural, but I wish Nigerians should start adopting kids, people in the western world go as far as Asia or Africa to adopt kids

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by mamawa123: 4:28pm On Apr 20, 2021
The way we do adoption in Nigeria is quite different from that of the westerners. Adoption is popular but is not documented. Parent will willingly give his / her child to relative without any document or agreement.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by delzbaba(m): 4:30pm On Apr 20, 2021
Because churches dont support it.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Hogan17: 4:31pm On Apr 20, 2021
Bouz:
As i read the topic, i knew it would definitely be a female
Hey what are you trying to meaning, pls explain o
They don give birth to pikin wey no be their own, com dey find ppl wy go adopt
Smh

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by OILOFGLADNESS: 4:32pm On Apr 20, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

Me too

this has been my plan and wish,

i see it as helping the motherless, instead of just breeding more kids to the earth

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by OILOFGLADNESS: 4:32pm On Apr 20, 2021
delzbaba:
Because churches dont support it.

which church
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by delzbaba(m): 4:37pm On Apr 20, 2021
OILOFGLADNESS:

which church
MFM for example
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 20, 2021
Make person no go adopt devil pikin
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by cmecproblem(m): 4:40pm On Apr 20, 2021
But adoption happens in Nigeria very often, unofficially though.
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 4:43pm On Apr 20, 2021
OILOFGLADNESS:

Me too

this has been my plan and wish,

i see it as helping the motherless, instead of just breeding more kids to the earth

Exactly.
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 4:44pm On Apr 20, 2021
slimshady1000:
Cos Some Nigerians are myopic and hypocrites when it comes to love.
The narrative is :
The baby won't like or love u as your biological child would.
They also say; there's nothing like carrying your own child.
Its crappy and lame excuses borne out of their hatreds for the next guy.
Some Nigerians are very bitter and toxic.
I see white women with black children here in my city. And they call this white woman, mama!
As far as I'm concerned, children or babies doesn't know whether you are the biological parent or not. They will adopt you as theirs too if you love them and raise them.
I have three adopted and one biological baby. I don't care what anybody says.
They love me and I love them...

So amazing!

But you aren't in Nigeria, right?

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 4:45pm On Apr 20, 2021
OnlyDeCapPlease:

Lots of Nigerians living abroad go home to adopt.

Never knew. So it's really Nigerians in Nigeria they're scared of.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Effects Of Early Marriage / My Baby Is A Year Old Today. Celebrate With Her / Christmas Recharge Card Give Away

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.