Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,866 members, 7,810,298 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:20 AM

Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? (14982 Views)

My Friend Faces Dilemmas Over A Partner's Child Adoption. / I Want To Give My Daughter Up For Adoption / Is Foreign Child Adoption Possible For Africans? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by OnlyDeCapPlease(m): 5:40pm On Apr 20, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

Never knew. So it's really Nigerians in Nigeria they're scared of.

I know 3 different people who did that. 2 of them were single women with no children. I also know a married couple with no children who adopted twins.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 5:41pm On Apr 20, 2021
OnlyDeCapPlease:

I know 3 different people who did that. 2 of them were single women with no children. I also know a married couple with no children who adopted twins.

I thought single people weren't allowed to adopt.
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Lilphat: 5:54pm On Apr 20, 2021
Abomination
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by OnlyDeCapPlease(m): 5:57pm On Apr 20, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

I thought single people weren't allowed to adopt.

In Nigeria? Well, its allowed in the UK and USA I think.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Twelfthman: 6:04pm On Apr 20, 2021
Lol u too dey fear
GeneralPula:
Make man no go adopt wetin go kill ham ..
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by kkgrace: 6:04pm On Apr 20, 2021
In Africa, child adoption is not popular because child bearing gives a sense of accomplishment.
In addition, another reason child bearing is not popular is the fact that, it is believed that no matter how long the waiting lingers, God will perform His miracle by giving the waiting couple child or as the case may be, children of their own. It is a miracle that has happened and it is still happening. In this era of ours, we have seen a 52 year old woman conceived and consequently put to bed a triplet with mixed sex.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by ominilongest(m): 6:05pm On Apr 20, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

What is all these? Lmao!! cheesy

Catch cruise how? Witchcraft?
Before nko grin
I no fit dey distribute biscuit for midnight grin
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 6:12pm On Apr 20, 2021
ominilongest:

Before nko grin
I no fit dey distribute biscuit for midnight grin

Hahaha
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Apr 20, 2021
IN Nigeria people will stigmatized that child, we are very unkind set of people,
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by pikechukwu6(m): 6:23pm On Apr 20, 2021
Your health is number one in millions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWW7uIP1NO8
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Solsix(m): 6:25pm On Apr 20, 2021
PrimadonnaO:
Please, folks in the house, what's the deal, really?

Why are many Nigerians seemingly averse to the option of adopting kids? Even when they've been waiting years to have kids of their own biologically?

Personally, I seem to be overcome with the idea of adoption. I'd love to have just one child biologically, then adopt one or two others.

But why is it a big deal in Nigeria?

I know the process is filled with lots of protocol. But is that such a deterrent?

Is it expensive, financially?

Is it really hard to love a child that's not your flesh and blood?
It is popular here I know many parents with adopted kids and they are all doing fine

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Minjim: 6:30pm On Apr 20, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

Financially expensive, yeah?

Can you give a range? For the complete process.

300k to 1m

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Happy2020: 6:32pm On Apr 20, 2021
There’s lots of adoptions happening unknowingly because half of Nigerian kids are conceived away from
The husband.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Barbsamiin: 6:34pm On Apr 20, 2021
GeoAfrikana:
Do you smoke, drink or sniff?
A honest question.
Answer: I don't drink neither i smoke.
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Originalsly: 6:36pm On Apr 20, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

Okay, have one and adopt others, then.

Isn't Nigeria too populated for each person to be aspiring to have 3/4 new kids when there are so many existing lovely children out there in need of a home?

I also think it would help to fix some societal problems because most of the people who become streets urchins and criminals and having varying psychological dysfunctions, are people who are either orphans raised in orphanages, or people who grew up alone on the streets with no love.

You need to reread what he wrote slowly... then think about it...it is not in our DNA... is like asking the lion to stop killing other animals to help prevent extinction.... that the lion should eat grass and berries just like the elephant and the cow.... it is not in our DNA. It is also the same reason it is rare you will find an elderly African person in a Nursing Home... it is not in our DNA to adopt children nor to abandon the elderly.

On looking at other countries.... how they love to adopt... what you don't know... in many cases it is a business... not out of love.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by chatinent: 6:37pm On Apr 20, 2021
PrimadonnaO:
Please, folks in the house, what's the deal, really?

Why are many Nigerians seemingly averse to the option of adopting kids? Even when they've been waiting years to have kids of their own biologically?

Personally, I seem to be overcome with the idea of adoption. I'd love to have just one child biologically, then adopt one or two others.

I know the process is filled with lots of protocol. But is that such a deterrent?

Is it really hard to love a child that's not your flesh and blood?

Adopt me.
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 6:42pm On Apr 20, 2021
Originalsly:

You need to reread what he wrote slowly... then think about it...it is not in our DNA... is like asking the lion to stop killing other animals to help prevent extinction.... that the lion should eat grass and berries just like the elephant and the cow.... it is not in our DNA. It is also the same reason it is rare you will find an elderly African person in a Nursing Home... it is not in our DNA to adopt children nor to abandon the elderly.

On looking at other countries.... how they love to adapt... what you don't know... in many cases it is a business... not out of love.

I'm very Nigerian about the emboldened, too. I can't ever think of taking my parents or old relatives to any nursing home.

I think I get the point.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Ausval: 6:57pm On Apr 20, 2021
Nor be who don chop belleful go adopt person...our mouth dry like the sand in the desert ...there is no money on ground
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Armaggedon: 7:05pm On Apr 20, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

Does it matter? I believe nurturing trumps all of those things.

And about "blood," belonging to the family of Christ breaks all yokes and covenants.
Not in that sense. You are better positioned to nurture your blood. No one more than you can tell you the truth about yourself. This includes your true character that the outside world is yet to know. The knowledge of this negative behavioural traits in you guides in knowing what to expect from your child and working on them before they manifest. That's why people don't relate to their biological children with suspicion the way people with adopted children do.

Adoption has it's numerous good sides. But the negative ones such as giving children to social misfits like homosexuals, the risk of incest where relations marry unknowingly, adopting someone who could kill you, makes me think that having less unwanted babies and kids that a family can take care of, is a better solution.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by PrimadonnaO(f): 7:08pm On Apr 20, 2021
Armaggedon:
Not in that sense. You are better positioned to nurture your blood. No one more than you can tell you the truth about yourself. This includes your true character that the outside world is yet to know. The knowledge of this negative behavioural traits in you guides in knowing what to expect from your child and working on them before they manifest. That's why people don't relate to their biological children with suspicion the way people with adopted children do.

Adoption has it's numerous good sides. But the negative ones such as giving children to social misfits like homosexuals, the risk of incest where relations marry unknowingly, adopting someone who could kill you, makes me think that having less unwanted babies and kids that a family can take care of, is a better solution.

Yeah, the downsides.
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by davillian(m): 7:58pm On Apr 20, 2021
Liposure:
Because its not in our DNA to adopt something that is not yours when you can potentially produce your own. We are africans and having your own kids is regarded as achievement.
My female friend in the US adopted a black even though she has about 4 children already....
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by 9jakool: 8:04pm On Apr 20, 2021
Lostchild:

Nigerians don't adopt children. Adoption is not for us. We are religious and we have faith in God to help us in areas where we cant help ourself

I check your profile and i saw that you are even a Nigerian and you are asking all this questions

Nigeria is not America. Hope you get me.

So, the same God that cares about the plights of orphans and children with no homes doesn't want people to adopt?

People adopt children all the time in Nigeria so I don't know what you are talking about. Thinking like this just adds to the stigma that infertile people face.

1 Like

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by doublejoyful: 8:07pm On Apr 20, 2021
My dad also adopted a child for my step mum through lagos govt 38years ago.
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Lostchild(m): 8:11pm On Apr 20, 2021
kabukabu50:

Nobody gets you

Especially when you cant use logic

Religion that was given to you by the Europeans has blinded your sense of reasoning and your obtuse reply proves it.

If european gave us religion, then who gave the european the religion?

If You failed to answer my question then You are a big fool
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by olowofariwo(m): 8:13pm On Apr 20, 2021
child adoption in Nigeria takes one year before you are given a child (obtaining and filling different forms, weeks of councelling etc)
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Liposure: 8:15pm On Apr 20, 2021
davillian:

My female friend in the US adopted a black even though she has about 4 children already....
she could do that cos she already has her own kids
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Onelove508: 8:23pm On Apr 20, 2021
I have been to an orphanage and asked details.
The process is complex and frustrating. They are very limited babies against the numerious couples waiting. You could be on the queue waiting for years.

This, your assertion is wrong, some people want to but no enough babies. Imagine if we are now all interested like you wish.
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by introspective1: 8:28pm On Apr 20, 2021

Is it really hard to love a child that's not your flesh and blood
I guess this because many Nigerians are overly, biasedly familial in thinking and attitude. family for us is sown more with the thread of genetic than our shared humanity. there is also a cultural and conscious emphacy on motherhood that is blood related than parental. Until Nigerians, individually start viewing thru d lenses of humanity and society, even basic aspect of social and humane nature such as parenting would ride on a constant flow of toxic hereditary.
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Gummygummy(f): 9:11pm On Apr 20, 2021
Firstly, I should let you know that adoption is not the cure to infertility. People who want their biological child(ren) should not be coerced to adopt babies when all they really want is their biological child. If they’ve waited for twenty years and even want to wait some more, then allow them wait! That’s entirely their decision to make.

Adoption is a very stressful process in Nigeria and the wait line is not for small children. Sometimes you even need to have “connection” if you want your name to move faster up the list. To avoid waiting an eternity, most people just prefer going through the route of baby brokers. In my state, about a year or two ago, going through baby brokers would cost about 300-500k with baby boys being slightly priced higher (sounds disgusting, I know) by 50-100k than baby girls.

The hush hush nature about adoption here doesn’t even make it easier on intending couples. This one beats me to be honest. People are so afraid of them or their child being stigmatized as adopted so they’d rather “wait on the lord” or fake an entire pregnancy and miracle conception story and share it in church on the day of christening. I’ve been to two child dedication where this was done and one was a pastor. He stood on the pulpit and lied unprovoked. Smh!

My last two siblings were adopted as babies and they’re hands down the best thing that has ever happened to me and my family. My sister is in SS3 and my brother in SS1. They kept 1k each in my saving box when returning to boarding school that I used.
Brethren, Its been one year now and I’m still paying the money because they keep telling me N200 is remaining today and tomorrow it’s back to N300 grin
I have grown up to be a mediator, a negotiator, a mini mommy and recently a teenage psychologist all because of them. I’m forever grateful to have those two musketeers in my life!

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by DEMZEE(m): 9:16pm On Apr 20, 2021
Why should I adopt wen I can have my own fucking kids though
Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by BRATISLAVA: 10:28pm On Apr 20, 2021
PrimadonnaO:

I agree. But even when the biological children aren't forthcoming, they still don't explore the adoption option.

I know a few couples who have been childless for more than 7 years. Why not adopt since they really want children?

The child will always go looking for it's real parents, and that's painful to the adoptive parents. Your child will always be yours. Once you give an adopted child the choice of knowing their biological parents, they will always want to know them and gain their love.

Also, some of these children come from terrible backgrounds(war, abuse, etc) which have affected them psychologically and in some cases they end up murdering the adoptive parents.

Some are scared of stories that will be told about them. Eg. They bought baby factory kids etc.

Some don't know. The ones that do feel it's difficult. Well, it is difficult all over the world.

Then of course is the fact that most people want their own children who will always be theirs unconditionally, their flesh and blood legacy.

2 Likes

Re: Why Is Child Adoption Unpopular In Nigeria? by Lostchild(m): 11:22pm On Apr 20, 2021
Vaughanlanrewaj:

You obviously don't know about it. Adoption is common in Lagos and due to how it is,nobody give a full page advertisement of it when they are successful at it. The only thing is that it take awhile in Lagos.

Nigerians are the most spiritually Godly believing nation on earth but their are some Nigerians who will tell you there is no God

Likewise: Nigerians don't adopt because they dont buy the idea of adoption but there are still some who still do adopt not because of barreness but they do it for reasons known to them

Don't forget that the person who opens this thread is very much concern that Nigerians are not open to adoption. Why?

I repeat: Nigerians don't adopt because no one want to waste their effort on something that's not theirs

I repeat again: Nigerians don't adopt because they do not care

I repeat once more: The barrens Nigerians don't adopt because they believe God will give them children one day. Even if God didn't give them, they will die childless

There are still few adoption but truly Nigerians are not open to adoption

Period

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I'm Seriously Considering Cheating On My Husband / Hisense 215dr Fridge Worst Product Ever / The Things About Some Neighbors Borrowing Things And Not Return It.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.