Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,577 members, 7,958,785 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 12:26 AM

How The New European Super League Will Work - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / How The New European Super League Will Work (34032 Views)

The Origin Of The European Super League Idea - Naptu2 / Real Madrid Leads Early Power Rankings Of The European Super League / UEFA Releases Statement About Breakaway European Super League (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by Elfaris(m): 8:56am On Apr 20, 2021
Omo! China really single-handedly changed the world within a year with Covid19. When they say 'Power'!! Made the whole world enter a new era by force. Damn!
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by sylve11: 8:59am On Apr 20, 2021
royalamour:
I feel these clubs knew about the greed of UEFA. They use these clubs to rake in billions annually and in turn give them peanuts.

I feel this move is more like a protest.

They want to discuss their options if they must remain with UEFA.

That's exactly what is on ground now, my guy. cool
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by Nobody: 9:13am On Apr 20, 2021
Mynd44:
In other words, these clubs don't want to play UEFA Champions League again and they created their own franchise. Why is UEFA so angry? Do they think they have a monopoly over football tournaments?
The Annoying thing about this new league is; the 15 founding clubs don't have to qualify from the domestic league to participate, there will always be there even if they are relegeted.
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by Nobody: 9:14am On Apr 20, 2021
Sysdatek:

if the ESL succeed , champions league is dead
the wealth and power of the founding members is scary and if anything uefa should not punch above their weight
man city took them to the cleaners at the courts recently
so make dem pipe low in the upper echelon
fans want competition, fans want respect
but clubs are broke now and they need to innovate to cash out to keep the club alive

its a bloodless coup de football , led by thanos Perez
you’re right but i still don’t think it’s a good thing sha. A competition where 15 teams are automatically guaranteed placements regardless of their domestic performance with no real mechanism for promotion or relegation?

No team can be considered a “big team” forever. Man city were not a big team till just about a decade ago. AC Milan went from European giants to a struggling mid-table team in a few years, Chelsea and Tottenham where once small teams in England, I don’t even consider Arsenal a big team presently. It makes no sense in my opinion sha.

1 Like

Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by SouthSouth1914: 9:17am On Apr 20, 2021
Topmaike007:
guy calm.. na story you dey yarn I swear...

The History of Football Will Be Changed Forever: Football as we know it will not be the same. The passion, the upsets, the underdog creating history, none of this will take place in the Super League. The league competition domestically across Europe will lose all its foundations and this may end up with a lot of the clubs at the bottom of the football pyramid going out of business. Might as well rip up the record books and start again.

Clubs Become Franchises: The founding clubs of the league will become franchises and these clubs will lose touch with the most important part, fans, for the sake of the clubs ‘brand’. Clubs relocating becomes a trend, players will start pocketing £500,000 a week salaries for fun and £200 million transfer fees will be more of a regular thing than a one-time thing!

Football Will be Divided: A breakaway league causes such a divide with the domestic leagues that a divide in the sport occurs. UEFA has already threatened of robbing the players of international UEFA tournaments if they are involved in the Super League. This will create a huge divide in football as we know it.

What is the Selection Procedure? A big question raised by former Manchester United defender in his BT Sports program was that who decided that these are the biggest clubs in Europe? Who selected them? Arsenal and Spurs did not even qualify for the Champions League, Manchester United couldn’t go past the group stages so who is to say these are even still the so-called ‘Big 6’ in England.

No Inspiration: Leicester City beating the unfathomable 5000:1 odds to win the league, FC Porto winning the Champions League, a young Ajax team steamrolling past the big clubs to reach the CL semis, these are the inspiring stories we will miss out on.

No Pyramid System: No promotion or relegation is involved in the ESL. This means that even if a club has a terrible season, it will come back to play again next season as nothing has happened. The feisty last game week matches, the nerves of the relegation battles, the excitement of promotion, none of this will take place.

1 Like

Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by SouthSouth1914: 9:17am On Apr 20, 2021
HITMEUP4ANYBIZ:

Bloody greedy Like the 22 English Premier league clubs that breakaway to form Barclays premier league...

The History of Football Will Be Changed Forever: I really did not know where to start with this one. Football as we know it will not be the same. The passion, the upsets, the underdog creating history, none of this will take place in the Super League. The league competition domestically across Europe will lose all its foundations and this may end up with a lot of the clubs at the bottom of the football pyramid going out of business. Might as well rip up the record books and start again.

Clubs Become Franchises: The founding clubs of the league will become franchises and these clubs will lose touch with the most important part, fans, for the sake of the clubs ‘brand’. Clubs relocating becomes a trend, players will start pocketing £500,000 a week salaries for fun and £200 million transfer fees will be more of a regular thing than a one-time thing!

Football Will be Divided: A breakaway league causes such a divide with the domestic leagues that a divide in the sport occurs. UEFA has already threatened of robbing the players of international UEFA tournaments if they are involved in the Super League. This will create a huge divide in football as we know it.

What is the Selection Procedure? A big question raised by former Manchester United defender in his BT Sports program was that who decided that these are the biggest clubs in Europe? Who selected them? Arsenal and Spurs did not even qualify for the Champions League, Manchester United couldn’t go past the group stages so who is to say these are even still the so-called ‘Big 6’ in England.

No Inspiration: Leicester City beating the unfathomable 5000:1 odds to win the league, FC Porto winning the Champions League, a young Ajax team steamrolling past the big clubs to reach the CL semis, these are the inspiring stories we will miss out on.

No Pyramid System: No promotion or relegation is involved in the ESL. This means that even if a club has a terrible season, it will come back to play again next season as nothing has happened. The fiesty last game week matches, the nerves of the relegation battles, the excitement of promotion, none of this will take place.
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by Lamasta(m): 9:19am On Apr 20, 2021
lexy2014:

D clubs that u mentioned are going bankrupt are doing so because they set themselves up to be bankrupt & not because of d pandemic. FIFA & UEFA has even tried to instill fiscal discipline by introducing FFP, yet clubs refuse to keep their spending down. Left for these club, they would spend beyond their profits. U can't blame fifa& UEFA for how clubs manage their books.

Your argument does not hold weight here at all....You are working in an organization with some group of team and you guys rake in billions annually for the organization and the organization in turn pay you guys peanuts in return how will you feel especially if you know that you can do the same service and creating your own organization thus generating same revenue for yourself and team? Won't you go and start your own

Let's keep sentiment aside and be realistic with this clubs for once If Messi decides to leave Barca today Barca will have to persuade him with more money to stay cos they know how valuable and asset he is to the club tell me where do you think the money will come from? is it not from shirt sales, tickets, sponsorship and adverts and how will they generate that when covid-19 has wrecked havoc to this clubs or you want them to go bankrupt because football is passion to you abi?

If UEFA refuse to adjust the sharing formula to suit the clubs then their wailing has just begun grin
That's how they threatened my darling City recently and we took them to the cleaners where they belong grin

1 Like

Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by mechanics(m): 9:20am On Apr 20, 2021
osamz007:
no money on ground

UEFA VS BABA PEREZ
Yeah, that's what they are saying.
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by Depressed101: 9:20am On Apr 20, 2021
bluelitmux:
Whether UEFA likes it or not this league has come to stay, but imagine if this trend is allowed. One day, a new world cup would be formed where Africa and Asia will clamor for more representation. undecided
abi na
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by Farki: 9:22am On Apr 20, 2021
chelsea1116:
The uproar about super league is a clear indication that racism in football isnt going away.

Just imagine how people are speaking up against Super league but kept quiet on racism.

One day a white called me "scimmia" which means monkey, i was like na dis tin b d racism..i smiled and called him "bianca scimmia"(white monkey).
He walked out from d pitch very pissed.

Until blacks learn to put on coat of steel instead of tears wen called monkey racism wont go away.

I really hate seeing this argument because it is simply a distraction and unrealistic ideal.

Racism isn't unique to football, we have been talking about it for the past 200 years, there have been so many campaigns against it in football and still it doesn't go away because it is unrealistic to think hatred based on skin colour or country of origin will go away.

Stopping the Super League is realistic, ending a social issue that goes beyond football is not.
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by Farki: 9:24am On Apr 20, 2021
Mynd44:
In other words, these clubs don't want to play UEFA Champions League again and they created their own franchise. Why is UEFA so angry? Do they think they have a monopoly over football tournaments?

They created a league where they feel they own football and can get trophies based on fans and revenues instead of merit.

If this Super League was created 20 years ago Chelsea would never be the team it was, nor man City.
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by hedonido: 9:25am On Apr 20, 2021
Na Arsenal go dey carry last for this new super league o.
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by uunwanaobong3: 9:25am On Apr 20, 2021
WHEN I READ ABOUT THIS SUPER LEAGUE, I REALISE THE TOP 12 TEAMS WANT 3 THINGS WHICH UEFA COULDNT GIVE THEM;
1) THEY WANT BIGGER SHARE IN REVENUE(MONEY), BECAUSE THEY ATTRACT THE MOST VIEWERS.
2) THEY WANT RECOGNISION, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEMSELVES FOUNDING MEMBERS.
3) THEY WANT SMALLER BUT A MORE COMPETITIVE COMPETITION, THAT IS WHY THEY WANT A 20 TEAM LEAGUE WITH GRADE A TEAMS.
4) THEY WANT GREATER CONTROL, THAT IS WHY THEY WANT TO ELIMINATE RELEGATION FOR THE FOUNDING MEMBERS.

OUT OF THIS 4 DEMANDS, I BELIEVE IF UEFA ARE ANALYTICAL & MATURED IN THEIR ASSESMENT, THEY CAN NEGOTIATE WITH SUPER LEAGUE ON THE FIRST 3 DEMANDS.

MY IDEA IS WHY CAN'T UEFA ADOPT THE SUPERLEAGUE MODEL OF 2 GROUPS, INSTEAD OF HAVING A PROPOSED 20 TEAMS, YOU HAVE 30 TEAMS DIVIDED INTO TWO GROUPS OF 15 EACH. YOU UP THE MONEY OF THE TOP 15 TEAMS BECAUSE THEY GENERATE THE LARGEST REVENUE, THE QUALIFICATION FOR THE TORNAMENT WIL STIL BE THE SAME AS THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE(TOP 4 TEAMS QUALIFIES ELSEWHERE - BUT FOR ENGLAND TOP 6 QUALIFIES)
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by Farki: 9:31am On Apr 20, 2021
Kelvinhunta:
Thanks for the analysis but u r indirectly indicating ur words. Those small clubs that don't qualify for Champions league, have they fold up? Besides the plans was not to stop other revenue sources of other clubs but to ad a source if income to big clubs which should be welcome

OK let me put it in a way you will understand, imagine the World Cup but no African teams are allowed because they don't have money and FIFA see their inclusion as a waste of time.
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by uunwanaobong3: 9:34am On Apr 20, 2021
Onojanson:
The Annoying thing about this new league is; the 15 founding clubs don't have to qualify from the domestic league to participate, there will always be there even if they are relegeted.

THIS IS THE ONLY PART OF THE DEAL THAT WOULD NOT WORK.... HOW CAN YOU HAVE FOOTBALL WITHOUT RELEGATION... IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THE LAW AND SPIRIT OF THE GAME.
APART FROM THIS PARTICULAR POINT OF A NO RELEGATION WHICH IS AGAINST FOOTBALL LAW,........ READ MY WRITE-UP ABOVE, YOU WIL SEE HOW UEFA CAN REACH A COMPROMISE WITH THE SUPER LEAGUE TO BRING ABOUT A BETTER AND FAIR COMPETITION.
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by cuteralph101(m): 9:40am On Apr 20, 2021
Mynd44:

What is wrong in teams playing multiple leagues? If it favors them, fine.
with already tight fixtures? This shouldn't be about monry. If they doing it for the fans let fans vote.
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by patmanpatrick(m): 9:44am On Apr 20, 2021
Fifa and uefa are greedy mofos
That's why they are trying so hard to stop this from happening instead of working with them to find a better way out
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by HITMEUP4ANYBIZ(m): 9:45am On Apr 20, 2021
SouthSouth1914:

The History of Football Will Be Changed Forever: I really did not know where to start with this one. Football as we know it will not be the same. The passion, the upsets, the underdog creating history, none of this will take place in the Super League. The league competition domestically across Europe will lose all its foundations and this may end up with a lot of the clubs at the bottom of the football pyramid going out of business. Might as well rip up the record books and start again.

No Pyramid System: No promotion or relegation is involved in the ESL. This means that even if a club has a terrible season, it will come back to play again next season as nothing has happened. The fiesty last game week matches, the nerves of the relegation battles, the excitement of promotion, none of this will take place.

Good points, I’m sure In the future participating teams will be increased and there may be lower league for it, something like European league
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by lexy2014: 9:46am On Apr 20, 2021
Lamasta:

Your argument does not hold weight here at all....You are working in an organization with some group of team and you guys rake in billions annually for the organization and the organization in turn pay you guys peanuts in return how will you feel especially if you know that you can do the same service and creating your own organization thus generating same revenue for yourself and team? Won't you go and start your own

Let's keep sentiment aside and be realistic with this clubs for once If Messi decides to leave Barca today Barca will have to persuade him with more money to stay cos they know how valuable and asset he is to the club tell me where do you think the money will come from? is it not from shirt sales, tickets, sponsorship and adverts and how will they generate that when covid-19 has wrecked havoc to this clubs or you want them to go bankrupt because football is passion to you abi?

If UEFA refuse to adjust the sharing formula to suit the clubs then their wailing has just begun grin
That's how they threatened my darling City recently and we took them to the cleaners where they belong grin

With all u have said, u weren't able to negate d points I raised& d reasons I gave for my opinion
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by OhiOfIhima: 9:49am On Apr 20, 2021
royalamour:
I feel these clubs knew about the greed of UEFA. They use these clubs to rake in billions annually and in turn give them peanuts.

You have said it all.. UEFA will succumb Las Las by reach an agreement with these clubs either way, breakaway or remain.
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by Chanchit: 9:54am On Apr 20, 2021
Rich4god:
In my own understanding. I think uefa is fighting to protect the interests of the smaller clubs. Now imagine if the super leagues succeed, people won't have any interest watching other competition. This in turn will deny smaller clubs the opportunity to generate revenue, there by gradually killing them. Because they won't have the finance to buy good players, leaving them with just low and average players. Whilst on the other hand, the founding clubs of the super League will generate much revenue, giving them the finance to buy quality players. Now at the long, European football will now be just for the super league teams as no one will be watching other competition.

Just take for instance. Compare the number of people that watch Europa League to the number that watch champions league. And since champions league is open for all through qualifying, smaller teams that enter the group stage are giving huge amount of money. These are the funds that makes the smaller teams to stay afloat.

How many times have any of you guys watched the Belgian, Russian, Ukrainian, Austrian domestic league. Clubs from these countries don't generate much from fans outside their country. It's when they qualify for champions league that's when they have the opportunity of been in the light of fans world wide.

If the super League succeed in out rating champions league, smaller teams will suffer and at the long run, football will just be for the big clubs only.

Just my own opinion.

Seeing how gullible fans are supporting this ESL made Me realize you can't fight for the world. When the smaller clubs all pack up and we have only 15 teams to watch. The system won't be able to absorb the amount of footballers that pass through various academies. soon clubs won't buy players from abroad except the extremely talented because they need to cater the the talents wasting away in their countries too, football would soon be dead if the ESL happens.
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by Weathered: 9:58am On Apr 20, 2021
Mynd44:
liberals like with no respect for tradition, history and pride will not see the betrayal and opportunism here in what these clubs have done.

It's football that will suffer especially in countries like England, Australia,
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by officerfudo: 10:06am On Apr 20, 2021
bluelitmux:
Whether UEFA likes it or not this league has come to stay, but imagine if this trend is allowed. One day, a new world cup would be formed where Africa and Asia will clamor for more representation. undecided

Bros, you get tired of all of it, when Madrid play Chelsea ten times in a year.
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by scait(m): 10:15am On Apr 20, 2021
Corruption, greed.. just everywhere.
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by Invitationn: 10:27am On Apr 20, 2021
Dalil8:
RIP Football

1863 - 2021
L :Dl
Football can never die.
Super league is offering premium futuball grin
Embrace ESL
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by lexy2014: 10:33am On Apr 20, 2021
royalamour:

What greed are u referring & how's UEFA giving clubs peanuts?
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by lexy2014: 10:48am On Apr 20, 2021
uunwanaobong3:
WHEN I READ ABOUT THIS SUPER LEAGUE, I REALISE THE TOP 12 TEAMS WANT 3 THINGS WHICH UEFA COULDNT GIVE THEM;
1) THEY WANT BIGGER SHARE IN REVENUE(MONEY), BECAUSE THEY ATTRACT THE MOST VIEWERS.
2) THEY WANT RECOGNISION, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEMSELVES FOUNDING MEMBERS.
3) THEY WANT SMALLER BUT A MORE COMPETITIVE COMPETITION, THAT IS WHY THEY WANT A 20 TEAM LEAGUE WITH GRADE A TEAMS.
4) THEY WANT GREATER CONTROL, THAT IS WHY THEY WANT TO ELIMINATE RELEGATION FOR THE FOUNDING MEMBERS.

OUT OF THIS 4 DEMANDS, I BELIEVE IF UEFA ARE ANALYTICAL & MATURED IN THEIR ASSESMENT, THEY CAN NEGOTIATE WITH SUPER LEAGUE ON THE FIRST 3 DEMANDS.

MY IDEA IS WHY CAN'T UEFA ADOPT THE SUPERLEAGUE MODEL OF 2 GROUPS, INSTEAD OF HAVING A PROPOSED 20 TEAMS, YOU HAVE 30 TEAMS DIVIDED INTO TWO GROUPS OF 15 EACH. YOU UP THE MONEY OF THE TOP 15 TEAMS BECAUSE THEY GENERATE THE LARGEST REVENUE, THE QUALIFICATION FOR THE TORNAMENT WIL STIL BE THE SAME AS THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE(TOP 4 TEAMS QUALIFIES ELSEWHERE - BUT FOR ENGLAND TOP 6 QUALIFIES)

because u
Invitationn:

L :Dl
Football can never die.
Super league is offering premium futuball grin
Embrace ESL

because UEFA is more about inclusivity than exclusitivity
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by ezigr8(m): 10:56am On Apr 20, 2021
The thrill and excitement in club football will no longer be there as no small club will ever get the chance to play and upset the big clubs. Football is doom......
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by Invitationn: 10:58am On Apr 20, 2021
Rich4god:
In my own understanding. I think uefa is fighting to protect the interests of the smaller clubs. Now imagine if the super leagues succeed, people won't have any interest watching other competition. This in turn will deny smaller clubs the opportunity to generate revenue, there by gradually killing them. Because they won't have the finance to buy good players, leaving them with just low and average players. Whilst on the other hand, the founding clubs of the super League will generate much revenue, giving them the finance to buy quality players. Now at the long, European football will now be just for the super league teams as no one will be watching other competition.

Just take for instance. Compare the number of people that watch Europa League to the number that watch champions league. And since champions league is open for all through qualifying, smaller teams that enter the group stage are giving huge amount of money. These are the funds that makes the smaller teams to stay afloat.

How many times have any of you guys watched the Belgian, Russian, Ukrainian, Austrian domestic league. Clubs from these countries don't generate much from fans outside their country. It's when they qualify for champions league that's when they have the opportunity of been in the light of fans world wide.

If the super League succeed in out rating champions league, smaller teams will suffer and at the long run, football will just be for the big clubs only.

Just my own opinion.
UEFA is just playing politics. They're not protecting the interest of anyone but themselves.
The UCL used to be the apex league hitherto.
Premium football heavily dominated by the breakaway big clubs.
The current 12 super league subscribers almost always earn a spot in the UCL season-in-season-out.
So what's the fuss?
With your submission, I can say, even the UCL is not fair to the small clubs. If we want to be fair there won't be anything called The Champions league at all.
The restructured UCL model to be effective in 2024 is unfair to the small teams deliberately tweaked in favor of the big teams and UEFA to generate more revenue.
The Super league has 5 open tickets to be contested by small teams.
PS: I'll love the super league to open all the tickets for all teams. However, I believe the permanent membership is a way of selling the league to the big clubs.
The rules might change perhaps in the future.
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by Invitationn: 11:07am On Apr 20, 2021
lexy2014:

because u

because UEFA is more about inclusivity than exclusitivity
Well said.
However, relativity is the case here.
Even the national leagues, there's relegation...some teams have never qualified to play the EPL.
Then the UCL picks the top fours shunning the rest to show IT'S THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.
For me, this Super league saying we know the Champions already (from data;consistency) so we're giving 5 slots to potential champions to play in the ESL.
Re: How The New European Super League Will Work by lexy2014: 11:12am On Apr 20, 2021
Invitationn:

Well said.
However, relativity is the case here.
Even the national leagues, there's relegation...some teams have never qualified to play the EPL.
Then the UCL picks the top fours shunning the rest to show IT'S THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE.
For me, this Super league saying we know the Champions already (from data;consistency) so we're giving 5 slots to potential champions to play in the ESL.

UCL doesn't "pick" d top four "shunning the rest". The top four EMERGE from a rigorous and painstaking process& competition that included several teams drawn from several leagues, countries, strengths& backgrounds. That is inclusitivity. That's different from this:

"For me, this Super league saying we know the Champions already (from data;consistency) so we're giving 5 slots to potential champions to play in the ESL."

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Is Cristiano Ronaldo The Most Complete Player In The Planet? / Manchester United Vs AFC Bournemouth (4 - 1) On 30th December 2018 / Southampton Vs Manchester United (1 - 1) On 31st August 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.