Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,803 members, 7,824,339 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

"It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" (8347 Views)

Who Wrote The New Testament ? / Who Wrote The New Testament? / Who Wrote The Bible And Why It Matters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

"It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by JeSoul(f): 6:32pm On Apr 20, 2011
A bit long, but so worth it. Bolded/colored bits added by me for emphasis:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/01/my-take-it-doesnt-matter-who-wrote-the-bible/

My Take: It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible
By David Hazony, Special to CNN

I am a person of faith. But sometimes I like to step outside of faith and just think about things rationally. Usually this oscillation between faith and skepticism serves me well, with faith giving reason its moral bearings, and reason keeping faith, well, reasonable. It’s a nice balancing act — except when the question of who wrote the Bible comes up. My Jewish faith tells me that Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible, known as the Torah or the Pentateuch. Reason tells me to be open to the idea that somebody else had a hand in it. And there are definitely a few glitches in the text that back up those suspicions - notably the last eight verses of Deuteronomy, which describe Moses’ own death.

But try as I might, I just can’t believe that the Five Books of Moses were written by J, E, P and D – the four main authors whose oral traditions, biblical scholars say, were cobbled together to make the Torah. (The letters stand for the Jahwist, the Elohist, the Priestly source and the Deuteronomist. Those, we may assume, were not their real names.) Call me an academic infidel. I know, it’s been generations now that Bible study scholars at universities around the world have accepted as true that:

(a) the Pentateuch was composed over many centuries through these four oral traditions, which were later written down;
(b) these main texts were woven together by an editor or series of editors living around the 6th century B.C.E.; and
(c) these different traditions are detectable by scholars today, to the point where you can justify entire conferences and an arena’s worth of endowed chairs to figure out not only the source document of every scrap of biblical text, but also the gender, political inclinations, subversive intentions, height, weight and personal traumas encumbering every one of its authors.

The first two are plausible, I suppose. But the third has always struck me as pure fantasy, the point where idle speculation gives way to heavily funded hubris. Of course, if I’m right about the third, the first two lose their authority as well. Why don’t I buy it? It’s not just because of how stark, uninspiring and vaguely European those four letters look in a byline. Nor is it the fact that in more than a century’s worth of digging up the Middle East by archaeologists, not a single trace of any of these postulated “source texts” has ever turned up. And it’s certainly not because the scholars’ approach contradicts my faith — after all, it was the willful suspension of faith that led me to consider it in the first place. No, faith and skepticism dwell together in my confused bosom like pudding and pie. Rather, my rebellion against these scholars comes from experience. Specifically, my experience as an editor. It all started a few years back when, as the senior editor of a Jerusalem-based journal of public thought, I ran into trouble on a 10,000-word, brilliantly researched essay about Israeli social policy composed by the sweetest man on earth who, unfortunately wasn’t a stellar writer. I spent a few weeks rewriting, moving things around, adding and cutting and sweating. Finally I passed it up the chain to Dan, my editor-in-chief. "Hey Dan," I said. "Could you take a look at this? I added a whole paragraph in the conclusion. Tell me what you think." A few days later I got it back, marked up in red ballpoint. On the last page, in the conclusion, he had written the words “This is the paragraph you added,” and drawn a huge red arrow. But the arrow, alas, was pointing at the wrong paragraph.

You see, it turns out that it’s not very easy to reverse-engineer an editing job. To take an edited text and figure out, in retrospect, what changes it went through — it’s about a million times harder than those tenured, tortured Bible scholars will tell you.

Language is fluid and flexible, the product of the vagaries of the human soul. When an editor has free rein, he can make anything sound like he’d written it himself, or like the author’s own voice, or something else entirely. It all depends on his aims, his training, his talent and the quality of his coffee that morning. A good editor is a ventriloquist of the written word. That’s when I started to suspect that what Bible scholars claim they’re doing — telling you what the “original” Bible looked like — might be, in fact, impossible to do. Think about it. My case was one in which the author, editor and reader are all known entities (in fact, they all know each other personally); the reading takes place in the exact same cultural and social context as the writing and editing; and the reader is himself a really smart guy, Ivy-league Ph.D. and all, who had spent a decade training the editor to be a certain kind of editor, with specific tools unique to the specific publication’s aims. Not only that, but he was even told what kind of edit to look for, in which section. And still he couldn’t identify the change.

Now compare that with what Bible scholars do when they talk about J, E, P, and D. Not only do the readers not know the writers and editors personally, or even their identities or when or where they lived. The readers live thousands of years later and know nothing about the editors’ goals, whims, tastes, passions or fears — they don’t even know for sure that the whole thing really went through an editorial process at all. (If anything, the same textual redundancies, narrative glitches, awkward word choices and so forth that the scholars claim are the telltale signs of an editing process are, in my experience, very often the opposite: the surest indicator that an author needs an editor, desperately. If the text was edited, it was done very poorly.) As with any field of research that tries to reconstruct the distant past, biblical scholars get things wrong on a daily basis. And that's OK: Getting things wrong is part of the nature of reconstruction. Whether you’re talking about the origins of galaxies, dinosaurs, ancient civilizations, medieval history or World War II, the conclusions of all historical research come with a big disclaimer: This is the best we’ve got so far. Stay tuned; we may revise our beliefs in a couple of years.

With biblical scholars, however, you often feel like they’re flying just a little blinder than everyone else. At what point does a scholar’s “best guess” become so foggy as to be meaningless? I LOVE THIS QUOTE! lol.

The Five Books of Moses take place somewhere in the second millennium B.C.E., centuries before our earliest archeological corroborations for the biblical tales appearing in the Book of Joshua and onward. We have no other Hebrew writings of the time to compare it with. So all that scholars really have to go on is the text itself — a wild ride on a rickety, ancient, circular-reasoning roller-coaster with little external data to anchor our knowledge of anything.
This would be fine, of course, if there weren’t so much riding on it. With other fields, we usually don’t have our own dinosaur in the fight. But with the Bible, it’s not just the scholars duking it out with the clergy. There’s all the rest of us trying to figure out what to do with this stupendously important book — either because it anchors our faith, or because it contains enduring wisdom and the foundations of our cultural identity.

Where does that leave us? Some people, sensing their most cherished beliefs are under siege, will retreat to the pillars of faith — whether that faith is religious or academic. Either it was Moses, or it was J, E, P, and D. End of discussion. As for the rest of us, it may raise questions about whether we really ought to care that much about authorship at all, or instead just go with Mark Twain’s approach. “If the Ten Commandments were not written by Moses,” he once quipped, “then they were written by another fellow of the same name.” Using our reason means sometimes admitting there are things we just don’t know, and maybe never will.

Maybe that’s all right. After all, isn’t it enough to know that the book is really important, that it has inspired love and hate and introspection and war for thousands of years, that it is full of interesting stories and wisdom, poetry and song, contradiction and fancy and an unparalleled belief in the importance of human endeavor - in the possibility of a better world - despite the enduring and tragic weaknesses that every biblical hero carries on his or her back? That it is an indelible part of who we are? Isn’t that enough to make you just read the thing and hope for the best, forever grateful to Moses, or that other fellow by the same name? smiley lol

There are very few writers that I come across and just LOVE their tone of writing, approach to the subject matter, sentence contruction and overall diction - this fellow is one.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by noetic16(m): 11:12pm On Apr 20, 2011
madam, for the sake of the lazy ones like my humble self . . . , pls summarize his point.

1 Like

Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by LagosShia: 11:53pm On Apr 20, 2011
if the author does not matter,then you have no case to attribute anything written by a tom,di.ck and harry to God.if the writer does not matter how then can you prove the inspiration/divinity of the bible?ofcourse if the writers do not matter,then you can equally say the content/message of those writers can also be ignored because the message too will not matter.this is so because evidently from the bible many verses point to the fact that they are not inspired by God and therefore not the "word of God".to cut it short,you cannot call some writing "the word of God" when you do not know who wrote what.i can also utter some nice praises and words about religion and God.is that enough to make my words be revered as "God's own word" and be carried along as holy?with those sweet words i can also err and issue out what is abominable.in that sense we will be having fake honey mixed with poison and not only and simply "poisoned honey".so what is uttered by anyone should not be regarded as authoritatively from God.there are evidently many verses in the bible penned by fallible who were never inspired.these verses do cast doubts on the bible as a whole.the act of speculation cannot be attributed to God.you just dont write and say its God's word or another person's.this is a serious issue that even the bible warns about (see below verses).once you mix-up man-made verses with inspired ones,you have diluted the truth.

even the bible disagrees with the topic of your thread and proves the topic wrong:

Proverbs 30:6
Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Revelation 22:18-19

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Deuteronomy 4:2
Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

[size=18pt]Jeremiah 8:8[/size]

"'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by Sweetnecta: 3:44am On Apr 21, 2011
@lagosshia; my brother, salaamualaykum wa Rahmatullah.

your first line is a blow away. i laughed whem i read it. i didn't have to read the rest to know that that was a big hatchet you used to cut to the chase. may Allah reward you. Amin.

those people who said it doesn't matter who the writer[s] was/were have no right to say it is God as they claim which you cleverly pointed out to them. the other thing they should be aware therefore is that we know that they are either ignorant or playing the hypocrite. since it does not matter who wrote it, i am sure they will not bother to know if they are just kidding themselves, until it is too late which is the time of death that the reality of living a lie hits with reality plain in your face.

@poser; it does matter who wrote the bible, if it is true masterpiece, for guidance and for spirituality to please God.

if it does not matter, then why say your way is the true and only way?

does it not matter the type of examination you take to correspond with study material?

does it not matter who grades your test papers?

does it not matter that your teacher knows the course material?

should it not matter if a bricklayer writes the textbook for medicine?
should it not matter if the professor of medicine is the plumber that serviced your water system?
should it not matter if the one to operate the heart patient is the school bus driver?
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by JeSoul(f): 2:17pm On Apr 21, 2011
LagosShia & Sweetnecta,

my brothers, can either of you prove Mohammed wrote the Quran? and that it is indeed of divine inspiration from allah?

noetic16:

madam, for the sake of the lazy ones like my humble self . . . , pls summarize his point.
lol. Noetic how body now? Don't be lazy jor lol read study and show yourself approved sir grin its worth the 5-10mins
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by kolaoloye(m): 2:21pm On Apr 21, 2011
Subscribing
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by PastorAIO: 2:49pm On Apr 21, 2011
Simply excellent. And I see what you mean about his writing style. Obviously a professional writer. Great arguments too!
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by Tonyet1(m): 5:30pm On Apr 21, 2011
JeSoul:

LagosShia & Sweetnecta,

my brothers, can either of you prove Mohammed wrote the Quran? and that it is indeed of divine inspiration from allah?

Very good toys to keep 'em toddlers sucking at. . .while the thread prays some tranquility grin this lady is sure some goodish! grin grin

OP very educative too!
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by LagosShia: 5:45pm On Apr 21, 2011
JeSoul:

LagosShia & Sweetnecta,

my dear brother,two wrongs do not make a right.will you prove to the atheist who is neither muslim nor christian that the bible must be accepted at face value because the muslim too cannot prove his Quran to have being written by Muhammad (sa) or that it was authored by Almighty Allah (swt)?let me for argument's sake accept that the Quran was neither written by Muhammad (sa) nor was it authored by Almighty Allah (swt).does that make your bible correct?does it make your point that "it doesn't matter who wrote the bible" correct?this your thread is about the bible,so stick to it.discuss the bible.if you find yourself lacking or your argument beaten then dont try to say "two wrongs make a right".

if you want to know about the Holy Quran,i am muslim and i will wholehearted tell you that your argument is wrong and therefore it does matter who wrote the Quran unlike the bible as is the case with you.if you want to know about the Holy Quran,you're are very welcome.open a new thread and throw a challenge at me to prove to you that the Holy Quran is the word of Almighty God and it was written by Muhammad (sa).i will prove to you that the Quran is the word of Almighty God and was written by only one man, Muhammad (sa).then you will also have your chance to prove me wrong if you can.while the content of the bible disproves itself as being the inerrant word of God,only the content of the Holy Quran can prove that it is indeed the infallible word of Almighty God.the Holy Quran,and historical sources and materials at our disposal prove that Muhammad (sa) and only him is responsible for narrating the word of God (the Holy Quran) to humanity and not some hundreds of confused men as is the case with your "holy bible".
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by JeSoul(f): 5:48pm On Apr 21, 2011
Pastor AIO:

Simply excellent. And I see what you mean about his writing style. Obviously a professional writer. Great arguments too!
This line in his article: "Language is fluid and flexible, the product of the vagaries of the human soul." reminded me of you . . . you said something almost identical on one thread like this.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by JeSoul(f): 6:03pm On Apr 21, 2011
Tonye-t:

Very good toys to keep 'em toddlers sucking at. . .while the thread prays some tranquility grin this lady is sure some goodish! grin grin

OP very educative too!

goodish  cheesy lol. See as our brother miss road again, lol - 

LagosShia:

my dear brother,two wrongs do not make a right.will you prove to the atheist who is neither muslim nor christian that the bible must be accepted at face value because the muslim too cannot prove his Quran to have being written by Muhammad (sa) or that it was authored by Almighty Allah (swt)?let me for argument's sake accept that the Quran was neither written by Muhammad (sa) nor was it authored by Almighty Allah (swt).does that make your bible correct?does it make your point that "it doesn't matter who wrote the bible" correct?this your thread is about the bible,so stick to it.discuss the bible.if you find yourself lacking or your argument beaten then dont try to say "two wrongs make a right".

if you want to know about the Holy Quran,i am muslim and i will wholehearted tell you that your argument is wrong and therefore it does matter who wrote the Quran unlike the bible as is the case with you.if you want to know about the Holy Quran,you're are very welcome.open a new thread and throw a challenge at me to prove to you that the Holy Quran is the word of Almighty God and it was written by Muhammad (sa).i will prove to you that the Quran is the word of Almighty God and was written by only one man, Muhammad (sa).then you will also have your chance to prove me wrong if you can.while the content of the bible disproves itself as being the inerrant word of God,only the content of the Holy Quran can prove that it is indeed the infallible word of Almighty God.the Holy Quran,and historical sources and materials at our disposal prove that Muhammad (sa) and only him is responsible for narrating the word of God (the Holy Quran) to humanity and not some hundreds of confused men as is the case with your "holy bible".
  Oga, you took a very good Free Kick, but unfortunately you not only missed the goal post, you also shot the ball at your own goal.

If you would slow down and not see this as a bible vs. quran battle . . . there are several top points of which one is one's faith cannot rely on ever-changing scholastic estimations of biblical authorship. There's plenty we don't know and probably never know. The content of the bible (or in your case the quran) should speak for itself. So when I asked you if you could prove who wrote the quran - it was not a challenge, but merely another way of making the same point.

Oya, take another free kick . . .
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by LagosShia: 6:38pm On Apr 21, 2011
JeSoul:

goodish cheesy lol. See as our brother miss road again, lol -
Oga, you took a very good Free Kick, but unfortunately you not only missed the goal post, you also shot the ball at your own goal.

If you would slow down and not see this as a bible vs. quran battle . . . there are several top points of which one is one's faith cannot rely on ever-changing scholastic estimations of biblical authorship. There's plenty we don't know and probably never know. The content of the bible (or in your case the quran) should speak for itself. So when I asked you if you could prove who wrote the quran - it was not a challenge, but merely another way of making the same point.

Oya, take another free kick . . .

too bad, you do not have a goal post!

read it in both ways.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by Sweetnecta: 7:03pm On Apr 21, 2011
@jesoul; « #4 on: Today at 02:17:21 PM »
[Quote]LagosShia & Sweetnecta,

my brothers, can either of you prove Mohammed wrote the Quran? and that it is indeed of divine inspiration from allah?[/Quote]it is spelled Allah. there is a capital A instead of the lower case that you use. you of all people should know that.

Mohammad did not write the Quran or any hadith. He received it by hearing it from Jibril. you know the Angel, not Mikail? He also received the last 4 verses of the 2nd chapter directly from Allah when he went on the night journey to eavens where he received the numbers of daily prayers. Allah, you know is the God Who is The Creator and not part of the creature, unlike The Trinity, you dig?

and you dont have to be a literate to receive knowledge by hearing it. writing down is another matter. it is reported that there were 4 consistent scribes, with each of them miraculously from the beginning to the end of revelation.

each of the 4 copies were left with the messenger [as]. these copies and others and the community's individual memory served as the source of the first book form of the 'revelation'.

who wrote the Quran? the 4 scribes have first and last names. it is from these pool of scribe that in time of Abu Bakr that the scribe of the 'first book form' of Quran was picked. he was the same man that wrote the many styles written based on accents, each style of recitation was established with each piece of revelation. so for example, when chapter 112 was revealed, it was in these many styles of recitation.

there is no 'according to' in islam. gaddit?

@Tonye-t; the fraud[ian]/gimmick is right in your alley. the lie fits you like a glove [its the line of argument] instead of fessing up to the truth. its a play on words; expressing the truth in me. no one asked if God or Jesus wrote the Bible. we already know the answer since God did not reveal the Bible to Jesus. we asked if it does not matter the true ids of the writers, why say it is revelation from God.

i know you didn't get it. almost all the time good argument is lost on those who do not wear thinking cap that matches the discussion attire. if the idea of the thread is about the technical writing skill, the poets will be alright. but when the content of the piece is what billions of people have hung their position in the hereafter on, somebody need to wake up the sleeping soul to the reality of the material that can't save.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by DeepSight(m): 7:03pm On Apr 21, 2011
LagosShia:

[size=18pt]Jeremiah 8:8[/size]

"'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?

I think this summarizes it all: and being from scriture itself, gives a lie to the presupposition of the OP.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by Enigma(m): 7:24pm On Apr 21, 2011
Re the point on reverse editing in the OP, while a certain writing style may be associated with a particular person one should also note the capacity of that individual to modify/change writing style on a particular occasion for any number of good reasons. Somebody reading the two quotations below without further information would not readily think they were written by the same person.

Na so one time some years ago now, the Ghanaian bobo wen [Bleep] bin put for him Ghana church come vex when them wan transfer am. The bobo kuku seize control of the church for himself. As him and him erstwhile "spiritual father" come they fight (dem bin go court sef) na him e emerge say them bin dey smuggle money from Ghana come Naija like rogues and other nefarious activities.

This is very interesting. In a proper setting, the "church" will have a governing board; the governing board will set the monthly or annual salary (or income) of the "pastor". On this monthly/annual salary/income, the "pastor" should then pay tax --- as the amount is a fixed or set amount, calculating the amount of tax due will not be difficult. The problem we have is as identified by one poster earlier; our modern "pastors" (and their family in many cases) treat all church funds/incomes etc as personal or family assets for all practical purposes e.g. they alone use the "ministry"'s jet etc but for government and tax purposes they will claim that these assets belong to the "ministry" and therefore exempt from tax.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by JeSoul(f): 7:25pm On Apr 21, 2011
LagosShia:

read it in both ways.
Haha! nice one cheesy . . . but you should try again. You still don't get it. Sweetnecta, you should also take note.
I repeat, if both of you would just relax and just breath in and out for a minute, you might actually notice that the fight you're both fighting is against an imaginary opponent grin

Deep Sight:

I think this summarizes it all: and being from scriture itself, gives a lie to the presupposition of the OP.
Perhaps you too haven't read and understood the article. Perhaps you might understand the level of weight & importance - in the grand scheme of personal faith - the author is giving to "content" vs. "scholarship" vs. "authorship" vs. "faith" vs. "belief" . . . and how all these factors are interacting within the context of article.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by DeepSight(m): 7:36pm On Apr 21, 2011
^^^ Abeg joor. Make I no start.

Your faith will render even a write-up by a false prophet as such. You would equally say that the writer is not important so long as there is faith. Little do you recognize this to be an open declaration of a willingness to believe anything, even if not written by the persons so claimed. . . so long as you have faith. . .

It surprises me that you do not see how patently false and defeatist this is.

Don't worry. . . . faith. . . .
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by DeepSight(m): 7:45pm On Apr 21, 2011
As a quick addendum to the above. This does not mean that i do not recognise the fact that it is the message that counts, and not the messenger.

What I state to you is that the claim of divine inspiration will certainly be tainted if given by false authours. And also that this very defence could be applied to the false writings of virtually anybody - - - so long as there is faith. This is a dangerous way to think.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by JeSoul(f): 7:54pm On Apr 21, 2011
^Okay DS, I have heard you. Me I no get time for dilly-dally and shilly-shally - your usual psuedo-pro-bono irritated-lawyer style today. So please indeed, don't start ehn. Thank you in advance.

Enigma:

Re the point on reverse editing in the OP, while a certain writing style may be associated with a particular person one should also note the capacity of that individual to modify/change writing style on a particular occasion for any number of good reasons. Somebody reading the two quotations below without further information would not readily think they were written by the same person.

Na so one time some years ago now, the Ghanaian bobo wen [Bleep] bin put for him Ghana church come vex when them wan transfer am. The bobo kuku seize control of the church for himself. As him and him erstwhile "spiritual father" come they fight (dem bin go court sef) na him e emerge say them bin dey smuggle money from Ghana come Naija like rogues and other nefarious activities.
This is very interesting. In a proper setting, the "church" will have a governing board; the governing board will set the monthly or annual salary (or income) of the "pastor". On this monthly/annual salary/income, the "pastor" should then pay tax --- as the amount is a fixed or set amount, calculating the amount of tax due will not be difficult. The problem we have is as identified by one poster earlier; our modern "pastors" (and their family in many cases) treat all church funds/incomes etc as personal or family assets for all practical purposes e.g. they alone use the "ministry"'s jet etc but for government and tax purposes they will claim that these assets belong to the "ministry" and therefore exempt from tax.
  grin  grin  grin  . . . my poor attempt at a Patois version -
Inna de church dem plenty downpressors, plenty sunday-gimmal, tek smadi mek poppy-show. Instead affa luk after the people like em breddas, de preacherman come took alla de money for imself straight to babylon. Nuttin' nah go right, nun uh di bredden fi a say nuttin. Me sef cyaan believe it. Com dutty the bible instead affa unity, na harbor shark. Jah know alla dem well well. Mek we look, mek we pray. Mek we resist babylon enter inna de church.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by Enigma(m): 8:00pm On Apr 21, 2011
grin grin grin Ha ha ha even me likkle bwoy like a what ya say. smiley
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by DeepSight(m): 8:05pm On Apr 21, 2011
JeSoul:

^Okay DS, I have heard you. Me I no get time for dilly-dally and shilly-shally -

Yep, as expected;  anything contrary to your view is dilly-dally and shally-shally. By the way, many thanks for the underlying gratuitous insults. The Tudor-istic Pastor AIOs and co have made me used to worse.

I actually think you have become one of the people most intolerant of contrary opinion on this board. It surprises me that you bother.

Feel free to imbible the writings of anybody. . . so long as there is faith.

AchoooooooW! Oh; that was a sneeze.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by JeSoul(f): 8:13pm On Apr 21, 2011
The only thing I'm "intolerant" of is pretense of which you are a skilled practitioner. Abi na lie? Ask just one more person to co-sign your accusation of jesoul's intolerance, lets see if you can find just one grin. Thankfully, what you think of me does not affect the price of the tilapia fish I will buy at my local stop & shop tonight.

But alas, I don't wish to trade words with you. The smurk & attitude with which you gallop into threads, thumping down and spitting on others opinions and faiths - is what has put me off from you. I mean just look at your first entry on this thread . . . need I say more?

and by the way, I have never insulted you or anyone else on this forum. Far be it from me. You can google dilly-dally if you didn't understand what it means.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by DeepSight(m): 8:23pm On Apr 21, 2011
^^^^
JeSoul:

You can google dilly-dally if you didn't understand what it means.

No Madam, I was not referring to that. I was referring to this:

JeSoul:

your usual psuedo-pro-bono irritated-lawyer style today. So please indeed, [b]

- - - for which I repeat my thanks.

For the rest of your response: I can only say thanks again, and grrrrrrrr!

My dear, we know full well what turned you off. It was one instance of disagreement in your role as moderator, was it not. Far be it from me to mention the instance, though.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by JeSoul(f): 8:32pm On Apr 21, 2011
^okay if you felt that was an insult, then my apologies. It is never my intention to insult you or anyone else.

As for the rest of your post - that was actually not it. It was one of the straws I had been pulling off the camels back. You're a lawyer ain't you, you should be able to figure it out. Its not coincidence most of the peeps who had you in high regard no longer do. Perhaps a look in the mirror in overdue? cheesy

I repeat, its your recently developed attitude of spitting on others and general irritability with practically everyone that has put me off. Did you chop winch from somewhere? But anyways, leave it be and lets get back to topic if you so wish (or open a another topic). I don't want to ruin the discussion of a quality article with this irrelevant stuff . . . thanks. Really.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by DeepSight(m): 8:43pm On Apr 21, 2011
^^^^ Ha! Get back to the topic, you say! The issues I raised were about the topic! For which you gave me no categorical responses, but chose gratuitous insults. And now you ask me to get back to the topic. Sis, I was always on the topic. Simple fact is you dont want to hear a contrary view. And if this is the case, then you should not post on a public forum.

Anyway, e je ka file. I am not sure that I have ever presented myself as one who is waiting up for a thumbs up from anybody. If that were the case, I would not advertise my obviously radical views within a forum dedicated to such a blindly, and and I dare say, hypocritically religious nation as Nigeria is.

I take your post. I will be honest enough to say that it leaves me with some annoyance on account of your presumptions. But as you have said: we let sleeping dogs sleep. Happy Easter.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by PastorAIO: 10:04pm On Apr 21, 2011
I'm not sure if the bible ever says that the '5 books of Moses' are written by moses. In fact this thread has thrown up so many red herrings, in my humble opinion.

I think a summary of the gist of what the article is saying is in order. Or at least my perspective on it.

In my humble the writer is criticizing the pseudo-scholarship that passes for biblical scholarship. He cites his experience as an editor in a publishing firm, and demonstrates how impossible it is to unravel which specific element of a piece of literature came from which source. There is an awful lot of scholarship that revolves around this whole J, E, P, D categorization.
I find it quite suspect too for the simple fact that if the tanakh was edited to make it seem like it was from one source then it was done very badly. The writer/editor of Genesis for instance must have been blind or stupid to not realise that at the very beginning he gives 2 accounts for the creation of the world that contradictory. I don't think he was stupid, I think it was intentional. it is the intention that I think scholarship would be more rewarding if it tried to find why. What was the motives in compiling the bible. Was it to give an historical account, or has his intention been misconstrued?
If the writer was trying to be dubious and pull the wool over our eyes then surely he could do a better job smoothing the cracks over the bits that refer to Jahweh and the bits that refer to Elohim or El.

I don't know how the Islamists thought they could get some mileage out of this thread for exercising their futilities. It is a fact that Mohammad could neither read or write and that the Koran was written after his death and there were various versions of it.
What puzzles me is whether or not Mohammad actually communicated with Gabriel face to face, with familiarity, or not. If he did and it wasn't that he was just imagining the interaction then I remain puzzled cos I cannot fathom how after such familiarity he could fail to tell the difference between Jibril and Satan. Can they be that similar? How come the Koran became infected with Satanic verses.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by Sweetnecta: 10:52pm On Apr 21, 2011
@Jesoul; « #15 on: Today at 07:25:14 PM »
[Quote]Quote from: LagosShia on Today at 06:38:47 PM
read it in both ways.
Haha! nice one Cheesy . . . but you should try again. You still don't get it. Sweetnecta, you should also take note.
I repeat, if both of you would just relax and just breath in and out for a minute, you might actually notice that the fight you're both fighting is against an imaginary opponent Grin[/Quote]while neither one of us is fighting anybody, the imaginary is interesting. the book is imaginary because the authors are nameless, imaginary.

marriage is imaginary even if the wife is pregnant, she is still a virgin.

boston is imaginary even with all the history and the 'the spirit of massachussets is the spirit of america' song.

this is after i took your advice, above. the story is true. it doesn't matter who wrote the bible, so it doesn't matter if paradise is forbidden to those who say it doesn't matter. just dont tag God Almighty with what doesn't matter.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by LagosShia: 12:21am On Apr 22, 2011
Pastor AIO:

I don't know how the Islamists thought they could get some mileage out of this thread for exercising their futilities. It is a fact that Mohammad could neither read or write and that the Koran was written after his death and there were various versions of it.
What puzzles me is whether or not Mohammad actually communicated with Gabriel face to face, with familiarity, or not. If he did and it wasn't that he was just imagining the interaction then I remain puzzled cos I cannot fathom how after such familiarity he could fail to tell the difference between Jibril and Satan. Can they be that similar? How come the Koran became infected with Satanic verses.

another bible thumper and his loser attitude.

the thread is based on nonsense to cover up for the failure of the bible as an authentic scripture written by known individuals,when that is not the case.i have told JeSoul that she should open another thread so we can discuss the Quran if she has any doubt or evidence against it.but she said its not a challenge.it is now a routine habit that whenever the bible is exposed for what its really is,bible thumpers try to throw the ball into the muslim court and attempt to propagate lies against the Holy Quran.the fact is,i am read to explode your ignorance and throw it back against your ugly face.open a thread and lets discuss it.

the fact that Muhammad (sa) could neither write or read adds more value to the originality of the Holy Quran as a divine book.the Quran was written in the very days of the Prophet (sa) himself and the Quran was in written form before his passing away.aside from that numerous companions memorized the book and the book was preserved in their memory.your assumption that the Quran was written after the Prophet (sa) passed away reveals your ignorance.

again changing the subject of this thread from one about the fallible bible to one on the Quran is a loser's attitude the bible thumper exhibit to no avail.your doubts only reveal your ignorance.there were no so called "satanic verses" and Muhammad (sa) did see the angel face to face as the Quran clearly states.you can read more about the fictitious story of "satanic verses" that you devils like propagating like parrots (losers!):

http://www.al-islam.org/message/20.htm

http://www.al-islam.org/180_questions_vol2/47.htm
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by nork: 4:25am On Apr 22, 2011
LagosShia:

another bible thumper and his loser attitude.

again changing the subject of this thread from one about the fallible bible to one on the Quran is a loser's attitude the bible thumper exhibit to no avail.your doubts only reveal your ignorance.there were no so called "satanic verses" and Muhammad (sa) did see the angel face to face as the Quran clearly states.you can read more about the fictitious story of "satanic verses" that you devils like propagating like parrots (losers!):

I agree, that to large extent that the bible and some of its accounts are relatively in accurate, one such notion are the accounts of the Jews being enslaved in Egypt and migration of the Jews  across the desert. Not only is there no fact supporting this but based well documented Egyptian account before, within and post migration of the Jews from Egypt, there is absolutely no account of Jews being enslaved in Egypt.  By my understanding the quran equally speaks of Jewish enslavement in Egypt, thus making it a provider of equally without fact and untrue accounts of history, this also includes accounts in the Jewish Tora, which once again Mohammad drew from in his scripting or assumed scripting of the quaran. To be honest the Koran is actually the bible, the Tora and other  pagan perspectives (extracts of religions at least a 100 years before Muhammad this facts are known).
A more laughable account is the one you call upon that Mohammad saw an angel face to face, what did u honestly expect him to say in order to give greater credibility to his political fairy tale. Would you  believe the quran if he didn't say that, and to further ensure no one else used the same scam he comfortably said he was the last one. Its funny that u claim the bible is fallible without considering the implications, not that i don't agree, infact i concur, but i think you are not considering the other perspective of this. Define a fake that is coined from a fake, and what do you have, If there is one book on this planet, that is a gross bamboosom and fraud, it is the quran, abrogation exists in a total of 71 chapters out of the 114 quran chapters, so the abrogation is existing in about 62.28% of the quran (62.28% is the percentage of Soura's which has been claimed to contain abrogated verses) and yet it was Allah, that wrote it right?  Ok if u say so
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by Enigma(m): 9:19am On Apr 22, 2011
Going back to the line below

"Language is fluid and flexible, the product of the vagaries of the human soul."

Even individual words can evidently be used in various ways with different meanings or shades of meaning which may depend on context.

1. Take the word "authority" and its use in the following contexts

(a) Einstein was an authority on the theory of relativity
(b) the case of Donoghue v Stevenson is an authority on the meaning of "neighbour" in law
(c) the lecturer concluded on the position of the law on his own authority
(d) Jesus taught as one who had authority
(e) Christians believe in te authority of the Bible

2. Consider the word "cleave" which could mean quite opposite things i.e. either coming together or parting.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by LagosShia: 10:53am On Apr 22, 2011
nork:

I agree, that to large extent that the bible and some of its accounts are relatively in accurate, one such notion are the accounts of the Jews being enslaved in Egypt and migration of the Jews across the desert. Not only is there no fact supporting this but based well documented Egyptian account before, within and post migration of the Jews from Egypt, there is absolutely no account of Jews being enslaved in Egypt. By my understanding the quran equally speaks of Jewish enslavement in Egypt, thus making it a provider of equally without fact and untrue accounts of history, this also includes accounts in the Jewish Tora, which once again Mohammad drew from in his scripting or assumed scripting of the quaran. To be honest the Koran is actually the bible, the Tora and other pagan perspectives (extracts of religions at least a 100 years before Muhammad this facts are known).
A more laughable account is the one you call upon that Mohammad saw an angel face to face, what did u honestly expect him to say in order to give greater credibility to his political fairy tale. Would you believe the quran if he didn't say that, and to further ensure no one else used the same scam he comfortably said he was the last one. Its funny that u claim the bible is fallible without considering the implications, not that i don't agree, infact i concur, but i think you are not considering the other perspective of this. Define a fake that is coined from a fake, and what do you have, If there is one book on this planet, that is a gross bamboosom and fraud, it is the quran, abrogation exists in a total of 71 chapters out of the 114 quran chapters, so the abrogation is existing in about 62.28% of the quran (62.28% is the percentage of Soura's which has been claimed to contain abrogated verses) and yet it was Allah, that wrote it right? Ok if u say so

another post===========>turning the tables.when you fall on your back and fail to defend the bible,attack the Quran.

anyways,you're welcome and i will reply you.you mentioned 2 things:the Jewish enslavement in Egypt and the so called "abrogation" of verses in the Quran.

on the issue of enslavement of Jews in Egypt,it is indeed only the Bible or maybe its interpreters that got it wrong because i dont understand how Jews crossing the Sinai could have spent 40 years in the desert without being one foot closer to Jerusalem.secondly it has discovered through archaelogy that the Jews moved not across the sinai but infact across a narrow-strip of water which they crossed into present-day saudi arabia.you should google about "the sinai in saudi arabia".there are infact no-go areas in saudi arabia meant to conceal this facts in order that these places do not turn out to be destinations for christian/jewish pilgrims.

on the issue of "abrogation",do not quote what yourself cannot prove.is there any verse you can present from the Quran to stand as evidence for the "abrogation" you're propagating?please bring it forth.the fact is there is nothing as "abrogation" in the Quran when each verse is read in its context and its time of revelation is known and the reasons behind it are understood.each verse has its relevance and each verse stands to benefit us even in our present-day situations.
Re: "It Doesn't Matter Who Wrote The Bible" by DeepSight(m): 11:54am On Apr 22, 2011
In addittion I might specifically say that a particular aspect that is indeed worrisome is the undeniable fact that there were deliberate insertions within scripture with a view towards advancing specific dogmas - and some of these turned out to be controversial to the extent of leading to many violent deaths of people.

An eminent example is -

1 John 5:6

6. This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
7. For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost [NKJV: Holy Spirit]: and these three are one.
8. And there are three that bear witness in earth,
the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

The words in bolded blue above, which remain till this day within the KJV, have been found to be absent from the oldest manuscripts, and as such have been deleted from virtually ALL modern versions of the bible. Do not take my word for it. Check it out yourself.

Those words were a deliberate and later insertion designed to advance the Trinity doctrine.

What the OP fails to recognize is that what this shows is that the text has contained several and differring insertions, deletions and some good degree of engineering. Now, none of that may be relevant if it is not significant in degree, but what shall we say when, as in the instance I have cited, the alteration advances specifically controversial dogma?

That dogma is one of the pillars of reluigious disagreement between christians and other groups, and amongst christians through the centuries. This has actually accounted for the very violent death of many hundreds of thousands of people.

When we realize that such deliberate insertions have been the source of mindless and deadly controversies which in centuries past led to people being burned for heresy, it then beats the imagination that the OP can contend that "it does not matter who wrote the bible."

And it is even less helpful, when these issues are raised, for the OP to retreat in a most unseemly fashion into unnecessary arrogance, grandstanding imbued with insults and the like. One then wonders whether the OP merely desired people to read the article and nod in dazed agreement with everything therein. If that was the desire of the OP, then the OP needn't post such on a public forum.

I would have liked to see the OP forget about my distasteful personality and address these issues directly. Otherwise I humbly suggest that the OP deploys her powers as a moderator to delete or lock this thread, since it is not intended to accomodate contrary opinion?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Twelve Days Of Christmas / How Do We Seek The Kingdom Of God? Let's See - Joseph Prince / Strictly For Christians: Having Questions About Sex, Dating or Relationships?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.