Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? (14285 Views)

What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? / What Does Working Hard Actually Mean To You? / As A Female, What Skills Do I Need To Acquire Before Going Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by SeriouslySense(m): 1:36pm On Apr 29, 2021
cheesy cheesy cheesy
jawalis:
Getting a degree is not a waste of time. It’s high time we stop faulting education for our own deficiencies. Some go to the university to get a degree in Animal Husbandry, some in International Relationship and lots of irrelevant courses in our society. And such individual will later blame government and education for not getting a job after graduation. No. It doesn’t work that way. We should be conscious of the kind of courses we pursue when desperate for admission. Out of desperation; I opted for Biochemistry while I was a jambite. I had to leave in my 200L for a health related course in a college of health. It wasn’t an easy decision but I had to follow advice and now I have no regret coz I’ll finish my degree in the same career next year. I’m not certain about getting a job instantly but I know I’ll definitely get one someday and not too long cos the local, State and federal government can not employ into the hospital management board without hiring my discipline. So pls, we should know the kind of society we lives in before filling and accepting admission offer. I have friends who later got their degree in Med Lab and didn’t stay 3 month at home before he secured a facility to work (Though Private) but at least; it puts decent food on his table. Education again isn’t all about been hired for labor after graduation. It’s to enlighten us and prepare us to be independent. Many times, I follow people to say “school na scam” but deep down I know it is not. School is never and will never be a waste of time and resources. But we should chose our discipline wisely. Don’t go for some secular courses with no relevance in our contemporary society. You can’t compare someone who studies Office Management or even Business administration to someone who got his degree in Radiology or Dentistry. No. They are very different. So pls let’s be wise
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by CodeTemplar: 1:37pm On Apr 29, 2021
jawalis:
Getting a degree is not a waste of time. It’s high time we stop faulting education for our own deficiencies. Some go to the university to get a degree in Animal Husbandry, some in International Relationship and lots of irrelevant courses in our society. And such individual will later blame government and education for not getting a job after graduation. No. It doesn’t work that way. We should be conscious of the kind of courses we pursue when desperate for admission. Out of desperation; I opted for Biochemistry while I was a jambite. I had to leave in my 200L for a health related course in a college of health. It wasn’t an easy decision but I had to follow advice and now I have no regret coz I’ll finish my degree in the same career next year. I’m not certain about getting a job instantly but I know I’ll definitely get one someday and not too long cos the local, State and federal government can not employ into the hospital management board without hiring my discipline. So pls, we should know the kind of society we lives in before filling and accepting admission offer. I have friends who later got their degree in Med Lab and didn’t stay 3 month at home before he secured a facility to work (Though Private) but at least; it puts decent food on his table. Education again isn’t all about been hired for labor after graduation. It’s to enlighten us and prepare us to be independent. Many times, I follow people to say “school na scam” but deep down I know it is not. School is never and will never be a waste of time and resources. But we should chose our discipline wisely. Don’t go for some secular courses with no relevance in our contemporary society. You can’t compare someone who studies Office Management or even Business administration to someone who got his degree in Radiology or Dentistry. No. They are very different. So pls let’s be wise
Exactly.
Degrees defer from degrees. Islamic studies and Fine Arts or Theatre Arts in a society like ours where hunger has created a robust food market and so much land has made agriculture attractive is like a waste. Go to the schools and you see a huge accounting dept or law dept. What happens to all the emerging fields that are key to basics human needs like health, transport, communication, food and commerce?
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by ibechris(m): 1:41pm On Apr 29, 2021
Dailymice:
Let me tell you a short story.. Two friends of mine left school in our 3re year to do Yahoo, they are in millions if not billions.

They are without a degree, I am with one and I can access places they cant and they can buy things I cant for now...

One is back to school now...

Degree is important till tomorrow

Hope u can hear yourself?
Degree is not marketable in this our time but education is key.

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by BigBizzy(m): 1:44pm On Apr 29, 2021
it can never be a waste of time but add education to it
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by scofield114: 1:48pm On Apr 29, 2021
i studied GEOGRAPHY i am now a full time construction labourer my back is aching but no matter what a man gotta make his living

5 Likes

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by LikeAking: 1:50pm On Apr 29, 2021
telim:
There is know job in naija for now except you are highly connected or decide to settle for shitty jobs with low payment.
Most federal uni as free internet and decent hrs of electricity which is supposed to be used by students to acquire monitiseable skills and become good in it as they move to higher level but most of the students are only interested in using uni internet and free electricity for doing shitty stuff like posting on social media, committing cyber crime etc. The only good thing in most uni is the free eletricity and internet use it wisely otherwise you will end up in NPower were you will end up earning shit and become useless to yourself and the country at large.

Jobs dey, but its now a class thing.

Jobs dey fro Naija but them dey hide am.

We are now in a connection economy.
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Falconx47: 1:51pm On Apr 29, 2021
Teejeybaba:
My mind full of depression, anytime i remembered what students passed through before you can get any certificate in my dear country Nigeria. After all this struggle, someone will still find it difficult to get a job. Some will still go ahead for their masters or Phd at the end you still find yourself without job. My thoughts now was, should the less privileged person just go for ND and also acquire skill work?.

I have come to realize that education is just a means to an end. It's like a vehicle to take you from point A to B, that is to say, what you become in life is more dependent on your natural abilities, what you were able to learn (not the certificate o), what relationships you make, and how you apply all of the above.

There's overemphasis on formal education in Nigeria, people go to school without considering what they're good at, and how they intend to apply the knowledge afterwards.

This is what leads to the non-application, and the attendant feeling of unfulfillment even for people who are lucky enough to be employed, that is not to downplay the terrible labour market, but I still believe that if many people go to school with the right purpose and mindset, unemployment will be a lot lower.

As to whether to go to a polytechnic, or even learn a trade, it still boils down to ones talents, and inclination. I have this mate in secondary school that went to a polytechnic to study building technology, also went outside the school system to learn it practically, and started building houses for people right off the bat. He's doing better than most of us today (but depends on what gives one satisfaction).

My advice to younger ones is to imagine the end from the beginning, what will I do with this degree, is it the best fit for me? Ask questions from older and more experienced people where you have to...and don't take any course they give you, just because you have to go to school.

So many courses being offered in Nigerian universities, ought to have been extinct 10years ago.

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by shegun4sur: 1:54pm On Apr 29, 2021
Sometimes yes
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by seohubb: 1:54pm On Apr 29, 2021
RuddyFusion:
No

Improve on your degree

Add relevant skill set

Start from somewhere ( volunteer / intern / low pay job. ) And then move on

Better still learn and start your own business, that's why you're a graduate , you should have the ability to create

Me want to add more to my degree and other certificates

undecided
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by seohubb: 1:56pm On Apr 29, 2021
Dailymice:
Let me tell you a short story.. Two friends of mine left school in our 3re year to do Yahoo, they are in millions if not billions.

They are without a degree, I am with one and I can access places they cant and they can buy things I cant for now...

Sarcasm
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Pakoyi95: 1:58pm On Apr 29, 2021
[quote author=seyz91 post=101229067]A waste of time in Nigeria YES

Better to japa out of this country after secondary school

na only secondary school level our education system is recognized

Anything beyond secondary school level for this country na complete waste of time

i wish i had known this from inception

my only regret in life is not to have left naija after ky secondary school

[/quote
Come and ask from us, that wish to have a degree or any other higher institutions cert, not a waste of time if you have the chances.
If I can get someone to sponsor my ND at the new established Federal Polytechnic ogbomosho, am also living in the city.
Call or Whatsapp on 09032835980
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by TundeChris: 2:00pm On Apr 29, 2021
Teejeybaba:
My mind full of depression, anytime i remembered what students passed through before you can get any certificate in my dear country Nigeria. After all this struggle, someone will still find it difficult to get a job. Some will still go ahead for their masters or Phd at the end you still find yourself without job. My thoughts now was, should the less privileged person just go for ND and also acquire skill work?.

It is. Don’t be fooled. If you have no degree, the world won’t be open to you. The Nigerians in Canada today, UK etc are there because of their degrees. And even more a good result is important too.

EDUCATION IS KEY!!
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by jawalis(m): 2:01pm On Apr 29, 2021
CodeTemplar:

Exactly.
Degrees defer from degrees. Islamic studies and Fine Arts or Theatre Arts in a society like ours where hunger has created a robust food market and so much land has made agriculture attractive is like a waste. Go to the schools and you see a huge accounting dept or law dept. What happens to all the emerging fields that are key to basics human needs like health, transport, communication, food and commerce?
You got it right. These should be carefully examined
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by stevups(m): 2:02pm On Apr 29, 2021
Is becoming useless gradually.
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Carmal90(m): 2:04pm On Apr 29, 2021
Dailymice:

Where can you access that they can't??
Pls be civil

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by seohubb: 2:05pm On Apr 29, 2021
scofield114:
i studied GEOGRAPHY i am now a full time construction labourer my back is aching but no matter what a man gotta make his living

The devil is learning some loyalty tricks from Nigerian politicians grin
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Newboss(m): 2:07pm On Apr 29, 2021
It's supposed to be a waste or just something personal. But shallow people turned it into an employment requirement.

Skills and experience should be the valuable thing, not degree
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by seohubb: 2:09pm On Apr 29, 2021
LikeAking:

Jobs dey, but its now a class thing.

Jobs dey fro Naija but them dey hide am.

We are now in a connection economy.

But its an opportunity for self development

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by captainbangz: 2:09pm On Apr 29, 2021
ogbonti:

How many so called Engineering graduates from Nigeria’s Universities have seen and touched a piston ? Guy go street go learn life skills
me, even I am not yet a graduate. You can figure some things out yourself you know.
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Magnito74: 2:11pm On Apr 29, 2021
Dailymice:

wetin you fit buy wey ur friends no fit buy .

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by izubext007: 2:15pm On Apr 29, 2021
some how , because of the situation of things
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by LordIsaac(m): 2:16pm On Apr 29, 2021
CodeTemplar:

Exactly.
Unfortunately, Nigeria is a religious country bereft of morals and humanity. Thus, those who studied Islamic religion and theology are more employed than any other field in Nigeria. Check out the thousands of "reverends "and shieks out there.
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Abid2020(m): 2:18pm On Apr 29, 2021
If you want to further your study after you took waec/neco Find a good School abroad even if it in Ghana or South Africa our system of Education here Is pretty poor and to find a job abroad with Nigeria degree will be very tough.
Nowadays, recruiters do not care about what you had in your CGPA be it 5.0 or 2.0 the most important thing to them how skilful you were. Most Nigeria students who graduated with first-class are just bookworm they read for the exam they do not read to acquire skill, not all though, it is not their fault, however, It is the way Education is organised in Nigeria. We have many graduates who still went to learn a skill related to the Course they major in University.
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by LikeAking: 2:19pm On Apr 29, 2021
seohubb:

But its an opportunity for self development

How?
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by LikeAking: 2:20pm On Apr 29, 2021
The Akara womans children have no hope in Nigeria.

In this scenerio crime is the only solution fro her kids.
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by 1Sharon(f): 2:21pm On Apr 29, 2021
OyinO:
In Nigeria, most things are a waste of time. Going to Church is a waste of time. Going to Tertiary institutions is a waste of time.

You need to be cleansed by his blood.

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by cooltola(m): 2:21pm On Apr 29, 2021
My advice to the young ones, your degree may be useless but your academic brilliance will prove most important. Do not be a dullard , brush up on your writing skills, math skills, technical skills, science , networking skills and so forth. You will never know when your skills will be needed and you have to earn a salary or find work at home or outside naija.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by akilo1: 2:25pm On Apr 29, 2021
Yes ooo go and become a native doctor..stupid question

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by IMASTEX: 2:26pm On Apr 29, 2021
Teejeybaba:
Go to school to mixup, informed, expose & have a sound analytical ability to be able to survive. Never go to school because you want to get a job with the certificate at least not in Nigeria. But if the job comes along the way, then it is an added advantage.

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by LikeAking: 2:27pm On Apr 29, 2021
CodeTemplar:

Exactly.

Na by connection.
Oga Patami with his degree and zero working experience is a minister today.

On the other hand you are correct because, most of the courser we are studying in sch are all outdated and irrelevant in our world.

Another thing Nigerian youths should know is that, getting a job is a journey not a destination. One day you will be retired or fired and you might come back to square one.

I wish everyone good luck.
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Enecleb20(m): 2:29pm On Apr 29, 2021
Teejeybaba:
Teejeybaba:
[quote author=Teejeybaba post=101205137] My mind full of depression, a
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Happy2020: 2:29pm On Apr 29, 2021
If you spend time to getting a degree and stay in Nigeria, it is a complete waste of your time. For the females, who mostly have sex for grades, it is much easier.

Stay in Nigeria and hustle or get your degree and use it to exit Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Common But Costing Mistakes Of Job Seekers / Society For Family Health (SFH) Fresh Job Recruitment (17 Positions) / NNPC Retail Calling For Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.