Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,570 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? (14290 Views)

What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? / What Does Working Hard Actually Mean To You? / As A Female, What Skills Do I Need To Acquire Before Going Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Enecleb20(m): 2:35pm On Apr 29, 2021
Knowledge is power. You will surely make use of your degree at some point in your life. Then, it will too late to start working to get it.

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Nobody: 2:47pm On Apr 29, 2021
Teejeybaba:
My mind full of depression, anytime i remembered what students passed through before you can get any certificate in my dear country Nigeria. After all this struggle, someone will still find it difficult to get a job. Some will still go ahead for their masters or Phd at the end you still find yourself without job. My thoughts now was, should the less privileged person just go for ND and also acquire skill work?.

Well,the same thing can't work for everyone anywhere.

In other words, some need the higher degree towards getting a job towards making a living while others don't.

What else?
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Emax911: 2:51pm On Apr 29, 2021
Hassanmaye:
You just scared me o, but what of private universities please
yeah, u are Taught more practicals, but the money is huge.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Emax911: 2:52pm On Apr 29, 2021
ekerintee:
You are paid for the certificates you have and skills.All over the world ,graduates earn more than non graduates in some fields aside I.T.its only in the i.t sectors that certificates dont really Matters .You dont get skills in the University or poly.You get IT through Experience when working or self developed.every country has the skills IT wants .So Most of Our graduates dont have the skills needed abroad.Unless someone WHO has Developed himself peraonally.As an Engineering Student ,you learn theory in school,you are expected to have some skills to Back your certificates.This skills are Not obtained in schools .If you apply for Jobs and they ASK you to be able to use AutoCAD or any softwares . do you expect lecturers to teach you to use how to use softwares,you are expected to learn your self or thru Seminars or anyhow.As a technician WHO graduated in polytechnic ,you are expected to be good practically,be skilled in using Hands .Most of Our youth Run after Money and wont Just sit down to acquire skills to Backup their certificates .That is why the certificates are useless to them .They cant do anything with IT.its Not the fault of the universities.students should Strive to Develop themselves, certificates are Just mere Papers when you dont have any skills

you are not supposed to.settle for less. guy in schools outside this country, they are taught design softwares and all other practicals, in Nigeria, we get it wrong

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by ofiko123(m): 2:57pm On Apr 29, 2021
JAMB QUESTION..
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by lanre88(m): 2:59pm On Apr 29, 2021
The day we learn that not just white collar jobs that pays heavy, that day we would reason differently.

Keep moving from one spot to the other looking for white collar jobs, It would dawn on you after getting the job that it still isn't satisfying enough.

Seek for true freedom, seek networking.

A word is enough...

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Zeeknow3245(m): 3:04pm On Apr 29, 2021
gringrin. No degree is useless in this life even though it is Library education, Anthropology oo etcetera etcetera. The Crux of the matter is "e better make you get am and no need am than to need am and no get am". In Voice of Nigeria,a Medical Doctor auditioned. Many of our Leaders studied various courses we wouldn't dream of. I read of a Renowned Businessman who studied Library and Archival studies.
The problem is that many courses are useless "Immediately after graduation"if it is job you're looking for. Just improve yourself and be learned. VC Ogundipe studied Botany, Kate Henshaw studied Medical Microbiology. Many people studied something different from what they're doing but they're still graduate.
Who tells you that studying a sorted course means Job security and comfortability in Nigeria?
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by God200(m): 3:04pm On Apr 29, 2021
Do what u like,from my own view I studied u,u already into the degree,u came here to disturb d room..whether u degree or u nogree.one thing don't forsake God.okay !!!oro mi ko poju bayen lo

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Crayfish09: 3:05pm On Apr 29, 2021
jawalis:
Getting a degree is not a waste of time. It’s high time we stop faulting education for our own deficiencies. Some go to the university to get a degree in Animal Husbandry, some in International Relationship and lots of irrelevant courses in our society. And such individual will later blame government and education for not getting a job after graduation. No. It doesn’t work that way. We should be conscious of the kind of courses we pursue when desperate for admission. Out of desperation; I opted for Biochemistry while I was a jambite. I had to leave in my 200L for a health related course in a college of health. It wasn’t an easy decision but I had to follow advice and now I have no regret coz I’ll finish my degree in the same career next year. I’m not certain about getting a job instantly but I know I’ll definitely get one someday and not too long cos the local, State and federal government can not employ into the hospital management board without hiring my discipline. So pls, we should know the kind of society we lives in before filling and accepting admission offer. I have friends who later got their degree in Med Lab and didn’t stay 3 month at home before he secured a facility to work (Though Private) but at least; it puts decent food on his table. Education again isn’t all about been hired for labor after graduation. It’s to enlighten us and prepare us to be independent. Many times, I follow people to say “school na scam” but deep down I know it is not. School is never and will never be a waste of time and resources. But we should chose our discipline wisely. Don’t go for some secular courses with no relevance in our contemporary society. You can’t compare someone who studies Office Management or even Business administration to someone who got his degree in Radiology or Dentistry. No. They are very different. So pls let’s be wise

I agree that we shouldn't see degrees only as a source of jobs, but I find the your claim about "irrelevant courses" highly ignorant. It's simple logic, if everyone studies radiology, don't you think it would still lead to glut and joblessness? Mind you, there are so many people with degrees in "relevant" courses without jobs in Nigeria, so what do you have to say about them?

You should have just stuck to one point. Study what you want and be creative after graduation. I've seen people with Hausa degrees getting employed overseas to teach the language, anf I've also seen engineers wallowing about with no jobs

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Rickylambert: 3:06pm On Apr 29, 2021
jawalis:
Getting a degree is not a waste of time. It’s high time we stop faulting education for our own deficiencies. Some go to the university to get a degree in Animal Husbandry, some in International Relationship and lots of irrelevant courses in our society. And such individual will later blame government and education for not getting a job after graduation. No. It doesn’t work that way. We should be conscious of the kind of courses we pursue when desperate for admission. Out of desperation; I opted for Biochemistry while I was a jambite. I had to leave in my 200L for a health related course in a college of health. It wasn’t an easy decision but I had to follow advice and now I have no regret coz I’ll finish my degree in the same career next year. I’m not certain about getting a job instantly but I know I’ll definitely get one someday and not too long cos the local, State and federal government can not employ into the hospital management board without hiring my discipline. So pls, we should know the kind of society we lives in before filling and accepting admission offer. I have friends who later got their degree in Med Lab and didn’t stay 3 month at home before he secured a facility to work (Though Private) but at least; it puts decent food on his table. Education again isn’t all about been hired for labor after graduation. It’s to enlighten us and prepare us to be independent. Many times, I follow people to say “school na scam” but deep down I know it is not. School is never and will never be a waste of time and resources. But we should chose our discipline wisely. Don’t go for some secular courses with no relevance in our contemporary society. You can’t compare someone who studies Office Management or even Business administration to someone who got his degree in Radiology or Dentistry. No. They are very different. So pls let’s be wise
people like you who are excessively garrulous mostly end up in illogical conclusion after a prolonged and annoying comparison.Who told you that there are no space and parastatals for the secular courses you are downgrading.Even in your much embraced contemporary society,if there’s equity and fairness,there’s is a position for every course of study.
Ppl are venting there anger on Nigeria decay system which created a badly corrupt system in the employment space.Reasons you found Engineers working in the banks and financial institutions when there are bright graduates of Banking and finance and other related programs.
Do not talk down on any course,it’s more exquisite to echo good results in all discipline.
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Brunosamel(m): 3:07pm On Apr 29, 2021
ogbonti:
Never go to school for the sole reason of getting a job, instead go to school just to gain knowledge, broaden your social network and learn social skills - public speaking, and all that- Do not expect to be rewarded with a job instead while in school, learn a life skill- electrician, auto mechanic, welding, tailoring, hair dressing, barbing, plumbing, draftsmanship, truck driving, culinary skills all that - chose one and learn it - and while you are doing your NYSC, look for somewhere to work for free so you can sharpen the side skill you learnt while in the university for 4 years - For instance, you can work for free in a local mechanic shop on saturdays from 8am to 2pm in the state you are posted to and once NYSC is over - you are the winner

IF you get a job with your degree, it’s all good

If you don’t get a job with your degree - you create a job for yourself self with your skill

OR - when you finish SS3 - go and learn work first while you prepping to go to University - after 2 years of learning work, you go to University and while you are in University you work only on saturday from 8am- 2pm to be gaining proficiency - when doing your NYSC, you should use that time to register your own business of the skill you learnt and after NYSC you are tour own Boss- the degree you have will make u more successful because you won’t be like the average mechanic who is an illiterate- your ways of conducting business will be different and your clients will be the rich and famous because they won’t be insulting you because they know you are educated- and you will manage yourself resources better too than the average road side mechanic

That’s a win - win siatuation - learn a life skill o
I totally agree with you... Thanks to my mom she paved way for me by making sure I aquired a skill before entering the university, that what's sustained me in school... I have graduated will be going to service this year and I'm planning to acquire more skills and add a professional course to it... I have good networking skills too... Even though Nigeria is hard, the future must be bright whether it like it or not....

I have also vouch that all my kids will acquire a skill after secondary school...
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Lordbinsmar: 3:09pm On Apr 29, 2021
Emax911:
No, yes a big No, if not in this country, but inside Nigeria, yes, A BIG WASTE OF TIME. u may ask me why, because am a student in engineering in my last year, I can't construct shit, only theories, I had to learn skills with another hard earned money to add value, most countries would reject a degree from Nigeria over and over. my aunt schooled in YABATECH, Lagos, when she travelled out to italy, her degree was not accepted, had to start a fresh, just school or get your degree outside this country. gracias.

Graduate with a first class honour's, and find your way out of the shit hole country.
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by timesup234: 3:10pm On Apr 29, 2021
University degree is stupidity. All universities should be scrapped and abolished. University is the highest stage of brainwashing. Go to university and become whatever you want is the greatest lie ever told. Once you are done with your secondary education go and learn a job or nurture your natural talent. University is a crime against humanity

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Crayfish09: 3:15pm On Apr 29, 2021
BabaO2:

Only if you are fulani/hausa you are sure of enjoying those skills acquired in nnpc, npa, security printing, cbn, dpr, nacho, efcc, NCC, immigrations, military, police, nerc, etc and even politics, but if u are from southern part your skills can only help you to be self made

Another ignorant comment. I'm Hausa and so many of my friends with 2:1 and 2:2s are still looking for jobs 3 years+ after graduation. As it is right now, I earn nothing with my certificate

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by chinedu2henry: 3:16pm On Apr 29, 2021
jawalis:
I am sure you must be thinking that you made some sense but you also showed how handicapped you are with your short sighted explanation. You are one of the problems we have in this country base on your view of what education should be. Who told you that those courses you mentioned are irrelevant to our society? Maybe you were not thought philosophy thats why you showed this level of ignorance, indeed some are educated but few are learned, you fall in the former category.
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by longifilis(m): 3:18pm On Apr 29, 2021
Emax911:
No, yes a big No, if not in this country, but inside Nigeria, yes, A BIG WASTE OF TIME. u may ask me why, because am a student in engineering in my last year, I can't construct shit, only theories, I had to learn skills with another hard earned money to add value, most countries would reject a degree from Nigeria over and over. my aunt schooled in YABATECH, Lagos, when she travelled out to italy, her degree was not accepted, had to start a fresh, just school or get your degree outside this country. gracias.

Yabatech awarded degree certificate?

Wahaha don wear clothe

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by edoairways: 3:19pm On Apr 29, 2021
jawalis:
Even the bolded courses will loose it's relevance with time. As more persons yield to your advice of opting for those courses , the demand for them begin to decline. When there are excess supply of labour demand for them reduces. There was a time when law was lucrative and high demanding.
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by edoairways: 3:21pm On Apr 29, 2021
chinedu2henry:

I am sure you must be thinking that you made some sense but you also showed how handicapped you are with your short sighted explanation. You are one of the problems we have in this country base on your view of what education should be. Who told you that those courses you mentioned are irrelevant to our society? Maybe you were not thought philosophy thats why you showed this level of ignorance, indeed some are educated but few are learned, you fall in the former category.
He is probably ignorant
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by edoairways: 3:22pm On Apr 29, 2021
timesup234:
University degree is stupidity. All universities should be scrapped and abolished. University is the highest stage of brainwashing. Go to university and become whatever you want is the greatest lie ever told. Once you are done with your secondary education go and learn a job or nurture your natural talent. University is a crime against humanity
Ignorance at its peak
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by vashkayanna(m): 3:26pm On Apr 29, 2021
I have a masters degree in Architecture.....
Architecture pays my bills today....
With time I will go for my P.hd.....
The problem is that the school doesn't prepare you to solve problems related to your field of study....
Every course has a challenge that it is meant to solve in this society of ours....
Another thing is studying smart, socializing and meeting people that can influence you even after leaving school.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by ekerintee: 3:26pm On Apr 29, 2021
You are Not taught all the softwares in schools .you are only taught a few.i studied in Nigerian AS an engineer and also furthered abroad and can Tell you the differnce.You cant learn everything in school .You learn some in school and some on the Job ,some on your own .AS an engineer,you cant learn all in the school laboratory or Workshop.If you studied abroad and you dont have a pratical Experience outside the school .You May still find it difficult to get Job .unless the Job requires graduates with No Experience .This Kind of Jobs train new employees .its Same all of the world .You gather Experience over time and Not Just in a day.even a month pratical Training is an experience .

quote author=Emax911 post=101231584]
you are not supposed to.settle for less. guy in schools outside this country, they are taught design softwares and all other practicals, in Nigeria, we get it wrong[/quote]
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by hotseat: 3:27pm On Apr 29, 2021
If you think education is useless, try ignorance!

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Akosxxx(m): 3:33pm On Apr 29, 2021
Degree is definitely not a waste. The time spent in obtaining it is what I question.
Imagine already acquiring your degree at 21-23 yrs. One would still have the time to try other things and learn about realities about the lucrative tendencies of his/her course and may be change or venture into other things aside his/her degree training.

A degree will always come handy one way or another and will also benefit your well being as well as thinking capacity as an individual.
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Zeeknow3245(m): 3:39pm On Apr 29, 2021
edoairways:

Even the bolded courses will loose it's relevance with time. As more persons yield to your advice of opting for those courses , the demand for them begin to decline. When there are excess supply of labour demand for them reduces. There was a time when law was lucrative and high demanding.
Radiography is what he ought to say not Radiology. Radiology can never go out of existence because it is an ever changing course. New development here and there. Radiology doesn't apply to Medical only. Engineers use it to detect faults in pipes.
Him downgrading other courses is an Insult I swear.

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Jasonteague(m): 3:41pm On Apr 29, 2021
Your degree is one of your best chance of getting out of this shithole
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by timesup234: 4:20pm On Apr 29, 2021
edoairways:

Ignorance at its peak
pride at its peak. May shango strike university mad!

1 Like

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by storm001(m): 4:27pm On Apr 29, 2021
Yes
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Elidrisy20: 4:28pm On Apr 29, 2021
Emax911:
wetin she dey do for Italy?
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by northvietnam(m): 4:31pm On Apr 29, 2021
Dailymice:
Let me tell you a short story.. Two friends of mine left school in our 3re year to do Yahoo, they are in millions if not billions.

They are without a degree, I am with one and I can access places they cant and they can buy things I cant for now...

One is back to school now...

Degree is important till tomorrow

When he gets his degree , he will now have the money bag and the degree ...

While u will have just the degree..

Now ask your self who won
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by UDOKABESTLUV(m): 4:32pm On Apr 29, 2021
Is not waste of time, I use my degree to start up Blogging Business and is fetching me alot of money till date
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by MrEgghead(m): 4:37pm On Apr 29, 2021
Teejeybaba:
My mind full of depression, anytime i remembered what students passed through before you can get any certificate in my dear country Nigeria. After all this struggle, someone will still find it difficult to get a job. Some will still go ahead for their masters or Phd at the end you still find yourself without job. My thoughts now was, should the less privileged person just go for ND and also acquire skill work?.
If we don't acquire the degree , who will treat you when you're sick?
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by Lemmy123(m): 4:40pm On Apr 29, 2021
Well, having read all comments, truth is, I couldn't have said it any better...
I finished school 3 years ago, delayed service for one year, finished service last year's October, now I've joined the bandwagon, searching for imaginary jobs.
I got tired at some point, I decided to learn a skill or two, I started with writing, I'm a creative writer, and article writer, I later tried my hands on graphics, after graphics, I intend to learn digital marketing and Copy Writing... All these with just the aid of YouTube videos which I'd like to think are not adequate enough but better at giving insights (Can't afford taking online courses on these things for now due to financial constraints)

I'm not sure how to begin to solicit for clients when I'm done learning, I usually feel out of place trying to convince them, I visited a number of freelance sites but they have a way of frustrating me, not getting gigs and all that...

Look, I just need a physical mentor who'd put me through..
Nigeria is a mess

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NNPC Retail Calling For Interview / Society For Family Health (SFH) Fresh Job Recruitment (17 Positions) / Help!!!! Two Interviews On The Same Day!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.