Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,791 members, 7,810,056 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:39 PM

What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? (14232 Views)

What Does It Mean To Be A Teacher In The Uk? / What Does Working Hard Actually Mean To You? / As A Female, What Skills Do I Need To Acquire Before Going Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by aRmork1ng: 1:00am On May 03, 2021
[quote author=VTJN post=101302956]interesting!

I studied Geography and Planning, came out top of my class and I'm about obeying the clarion call (NYSC)

Presently i have no skills and i look forward to better myself, family and humanity at large

I'm in my mid 20s..

How do i achieve the above aforementioned coming from a poor background?

How do i utilized my degree certificate judiciously and better skills options to achieve my dream or propel me to my Eldorado?

What's the best advice for me from you?

Thanks in anticipation!

For starters, you shouldn't sell yourself short by saying you have 'no skills'. It's about perspective and framing. For instance, you must have some comprehension, writing, and synthesizing skills to emerge at the top of your class. What's more, there are specific life experiences you have had outside of the classroom that you can draw from. You will find, upon closer self-examination, that you have more to offer than you realize, even though it is accurate to state that you have lots to learn. Succinctly put - your journey is, in a sense, just beginning, but you aren't starting from zero.

What will follow is a series of steps that will position to be what you are built to be. To properly follow them will require immense introspection and self-application. Note that no matter how good the advice, there are certain answers that only you have, and you will need to search deep within yourself to get a hold of them. However, know that you are capable.

Here goes:

1. Start from where you are. Do an assessment of what you do know, and all the assets you have at your disposal

2. Create a personal mission statement. This is a short write-up that outlines your values and aspirations without worrying too much about current constraints. It will be a living document that you continue to look into and update, as your experiences reveal more about your calling. Learn more about how to create that here: https://www.andyandrews.com/personal-mission-statement/

3. Take a good look your environment (or society at large) and try to understand where you fit in, and what is required. Do not be narrow-minded as you conduct this exercise; do not merely try to find a job or struggle to land a role based on your undergraduate choice of study, but seek out practical means to continue to earn a living while you pursue your transcendent goals. A person with a strong vision and value system always stands out, even when they’re not where they are supposed to be yet. For example, Joseph (in the Bible) stood out even when he was a slave/servant in Potiphar’s house and when he was in prison – and he ultimately landed where he envisioned

4. Connect with people who are forward-thinking and take note of the steps they are taking to improve themselves. Develop your network by relating positively with people you come across and engage in a manner that allows you to build genuine relationships with these inspired people. Nurture these productive connections

5. Commit to learning. There are several free online learning resources on which you can lean. Look up examples on Google, like Coursera, EDX, Alison, open.edu, etc. Make it a habit to learn, and thoughtfully select what you invest your time in learning: as much as possible, strategically align your learning with your personal mission statement

6. Seek mentorship from appropriate individuals: get guidance from people that operate in the spaces you find attractive, and those that are doing the things you would like to do in the future. It can be challenging sometimes finding people willing to provide guidance, but it is worth going after. When you have a hard time landing such meetings, do some good ol' research on such people

7. Understand that this is a process, and basically every aforementioned step outlined is continuous

By and large, you should start with clear overarching goals and systematically give chase to your dreams. It is an iterative process, but you should not be discouraged.

Specific follow-up questions are welcome.

aK
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by VTJN(m): 8:27am On May 03, 2021
[quote author=aRmork1ng post=101328029][/quote] Interesting!
Thanks for the piece, i sincerely do appreciate
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by OyinO: 4:48pm On Oct 25, 2021
1Sharon:

Oh I see. You're those foolish atheist boys that go about insulting God like bad boys in the gang.

There's nothing like God in Nigeria. If there's one, he's as miserable as the miserable suffering and smiling Nigerians he has watched sinking into endemic retrogression and incongruities. Shame on you fellowsheep. I'm not Atheist. Educated illiterate you are. If someone is not Christian or Muslim, he is Atheist, as if only those two religions or belief systems exist on Earth plane.
Re: What Its Mean To Acquire Higher Degree Time Wasting Or What? by 1Sharon(f): 6:48pm On Oct 25, 2021
OyinO:

There's nothing like God in Nigeria. If there's one, he's as miserable as the miserable suffering and smiling Nigerians he has watched sinking into endemic retrogression and incongruities. Shame on you fellowsheep. I'm not Atheist. Educated illiterate you are. If someone is not Christian or Muslim, he is Atheist, as if only those two religions or belief systems exist on Earth plane.

I was being sarcastic then lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shoprite Nigeria Recruitment 2018 / Workforce Recruiting Management Trainees Aptitude Test / Vacancies @ Marie Stopes Nigeria - November 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.