Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,171 members, 7,835,917 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:30 PM

Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home (12146 Views)

Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home / Nigerians Travelling Abroad Must Take Polio Vaccine By 2013 – WHO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by dejiolowe: 11:10am On Feb 10, 2006
home sweet home.

some ppl change their countries for good (atarturk of turkey, yew of singapore, some fancy dude in UAE) while some run away.

I would rather die while trying to change nigeria than sell my soul to westerners.

I could live in most countries legally if I tried but I have made my decision to be here. I will make a difference. It would be hard, it would be tough, IT WOULD BE DONE!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by EddyTells(m): 11:35am On Feb 10, 2006
Give me a call when its done tongue
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by whocares: 12:53pm On Feb 10, 2006
I read this thread and i am amused and saddened. undecided

Someone asked earlier, who is Nigeria? and no one responded.

Nigeria is made up of you and me and only we can affect change.
Complaining from across the ocean is not adding value and i can talk ... i have been back in Nigeria for about 1year now after 10years in London.
For a country like ours change cannot be overnight and will probably not be evident in our generation, but you and i, the citizens, have to effect the change, in our personal lives and in our relationship with others.
if you behave in a certain way, people will begin to know you for that. Not every body accepts bribe and if more and more Nigerians, who have no tolerance for bribary and corruption, return home, then less and less people will take bribe, making those who do the minority...i see a big change coming on wink wink wink

- Everybody wants to be paid for doing their job, right? Fair enough, if i receive good service i'll give tip (which i understand is a requirement in the US), but if the service is bad i don't; hell if the service was that bad i wouldn't go back anyway.
- when most people are cheated, it is usually as a result of their own greed.
- You can't expect things that have been imported to cost the same as in the US or UK, just doesn't make sense. If you don't want to pay naija price, do what i do...shop when you go on vacation, until that time when we begin to produce goods of comparable quality.
- No security, of course tell me exactly where is secure. When i was at Uni in london, a girl was raped at the same busstop i used everyday to school. i promptly got myself a tokumbo car cheesy
- No electricity then get a good generator. So instead of paying British gas, you use your money to run your gen
- No where to start from, then that is an entirely personal issue. If you're unemployed where you are then tough luck getting a job here and i think that applies in every country

For now so many things have to be endured, but if everybody pulls together to fight against corruption, poverty, bad government etc changes will occur; but we don't do that do we? We don't fight for any cause and expect change to occur spontaneously...puulleesse!!
Prayer is one thing, but we all know that God helps those who help themselves. Action speaks louder than words people.

We all know the problems, so i'm not going to list them, but i can categorically say that nothing has happened to me, yet, to make me regret my move. Granted, it was a very difficult decision to make and a lot of planning went into it (just like Oasis friend), but i'm happy and so is my family.
And i'd like to think that my being here is contributing to making Nigeria a better place for my children
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by EddyTells(m): 2:19pm On Feb 10, 2006
cheesy one of my guys back in 9jia used to be crazy about london. He did everything possible to leave 9jia but no country gree give am visa. This guy ended up hating those abroad. saying we were running from our country and we were not good nigeiran citizens. bla bla, bla, bla, bla, how he will stick with 9jia to the end and contribute to its change.

A year later he got a job with Shell and got a cross-posting to the Uk. Now story don change
Omo guy go back na Bobo say 9jia no get fresh air sef grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Kokscity(m): 11:33pm On Feb 10, 2006
@Eddy

I am tired of hypocrites, they are all over Nigeria. A friend of mine had me send my bank statements,invitation letter,affidavit of support etc for him and his wife to come to the US.Went to the embassy and they bounced him because of a technicality that was his fault.After i had coached him on how to answer questions directly and truthfully,he and his wife had contradicting answers when they were interviewed separately. Anyways to cut a long story short,he cursed his way out of the embassy in Lagos, and wrote a protest letter about his interview.Six months later is now asking me to help him see if he can go to the UK. On one hand he tells me i am missing $hit happening in Nigeria, and in the same breath he wants to leave the country. If you are doing "Big things" in Nigeria then why are u so eager to leave?

Kokscity is still scratching his head, wondering what the hell is going on in that Hell Hole.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by IAH(f): 8:56pm On Feb 11, 2006
Thank God I've not been here for long. It's easy for me to pack my bags and go back to my Fatherland...which I'm gonna do very soon. cool
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by phoneman(m): 12:59am On Feb 12, 2006
My fellow nigerians, I think everybody is right in their own special way. Some have a greater tolerance than others its just the way of the world. I think our leadership needs to start serving its people. Nigerians at home be as dedicated as you want to..till leadership believes in serving the people nothing will change we can play the blame game all day. Nigerian leadership is oppressive and tyrannical it has no tact nor clout. It is clumsy, greedy and careless. Till will have a leader that is truly selfless oppression, corruption and smog will reign supreme.

Pls lets not forget the amount of money sent home from abroad runs into millions of dollars. which helps the economy thats why tourism is big buisness so lets not frown on nigerians abroad they hell support the emaciated nigerian economy.

Hang in there.

peace
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by lioness(f): 11:06am On Feb 13, 2006
I know am definitely going back my country nigeria cool but its not going to be so soon.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by tipsy289(m): 2:45pm On Feb 15, 2006
Naija in a bad condition. Ppl are leaving and i dnt see any reason y they shld cum back.All they do when the arrive is sulk and complain a lot.As 4 me ,when am out 2 uni,goin 2 be out 4 a long tym.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by oasis: 1:36am On Feb 16, 2006

if you behave in a certain way, people will begin to know you for that. Not every body accepts bribe and if more and more Nigerians, who have no tolerance for bribary and corruption, return home, then less and less people will take bribe, making those who do the minority, i see a big change coming on

If you want stuff done in Nigeria, you have to be prepared to hand out bribes. It's over zealous to think that people returning home is the answer to eradicating bribery. No way. The answer is in our government setting traps for corrupt officials. It's so easy to catch a corrupt official, but your government isn't doing it.

I'd like to see that day when bribe-takers become the minority. But it's not going to be Nigerians abroad that'd make that happen.

- Everybody wants to be paid for doing their job, right? Fair enough, if i receive good service i'll give tip (which i understand is a requirement in the US), but if the service is bad i don't; hell if the service was that bad i wouldn't go back anyway.

I hope Nigeria doesn't adopt the idea of tipping. It's just another way of charging people more for purchases.

- when most people are cheated, it is usually as a result of their own greed.

What? When I'm cheated, I'm to blame?

- No security, of course tell me exactly where is secure. When i was at Uni in london, a girl was raped at the same busstop i used everyday to school. i promptly got myself a tokumbo car

Your life and property is way less secure in Nigeria. There is crime everywhere in the world, but to a higher degree in Nigeria. I understand Nigerians abroad now buy homes in Ghana, Benin Republic, and even as far away as Sierra Leone just to be in a safer society which is closer to Nigeria? That is how bad the situation is. Worse still, the government of Nigeria has no clue about how to solve this problem.

When you life is in danger, who do you call? You call the authorities. Well, guess what, the authorities are themselves corrupt. Does that happen in London?

- No electricity then get a good generator. So instead of paying British gas, you use your money to run your gen

Unless you're going to get a generator for everybody, your idea won't work. When power goes out, you can't make phone calls. It'd affect tv/radio stations. You probably can't get online, since your ISP's power goes out too. If you have a business that depends on electricity, like refrigeration, you have to get to work to start up a generator when power goes out.

Do you see why merely having a generator at your home doesn't mean much?

For now so many things have to be endured, but if everybody pulls together to fight against corruption, poverty, bad government etc changes will occur; but we don't do that do we? We don't fight for any cause and expect change to occur spontaneously, puulleesse!!
Prayer is one thing, but we all know that God helps those who help themselves. Action speaks louder than words people.

The question is, how are things going to change if Nigerians abroad all return home? People in Nigeria can fight without needing Nigerians to return home.

The only way I know to fight is to elect leaders based purely on merit. Not tribe. Not religion. Not family affiliation. As soon as Nigerians can start practicing true democracy, things would change.

Furthermore, I believe that people advocating for people to return home aren't thinking things through. Western Union reported that Nigerians abroad sent about $4 billion home in 2004. Then there is Moneygram, and also money sent through people visiting home. Also, people abroad build homes for Nigerians at home. All together, I'd say $10 billion get sent to Nigeria every year. That is serious help for Nigeria, and Nigerians. Do you really want to suddenly throw that away, and have people return to a broken system that doesn't work?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by mochafella(m): 1:46am On Feb 16, 2006
oasis:

The question is, how are things going to change if Nigerians abroad all return home? People in Nigeria can fight without needing Nigerians to return home.

The only way I know to fight is to elect leaders based purely on merit. Not tribe. Not religion. Not family affiliation. As soon as Nigerians can start practicing true democracy, things would change.

Bravo Oasis, help me tell am. You don't need Nigerians abroad to come home b4 you begin to change things. You can rest assured if things change, Nigerians will rush back home, and invest in plenty. Until then, I'll see you when I see you.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Kokscity(m): 3:48am On Feb 16, 2006
@Mocha
U got that right Bro. I will see them when i see them. That place is good for two weeks a year for me. Last time i was there, i spent 6weeks and i needed a mopol man everytime i drove around. The place is absolutely a dungeon. Only when you have not seen better that you can defend Nigeria. Nigeria makes Kenya look like an Industrial Nation.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by walaky(m): 5:47am On Feb 16, 2006
This is a serious topic that mustn't be joked with, i feel teary eyes reading some messages being posted here. i could see some very sensible people on here and there are a lot of senseless head too, The West that you all are crying to die in was made good by some people, The West did not build it's own country by itself human build it. i think one of the greatest problem we have here in Naija is Human Resources, you do business or employ someone to help you in your business and the only thing they will be looking for is how to rip you off, that is one and our leaders don't care at all for the welfare of the people we don't have leaders in Nigeria what wehave is rulers and it's thesame set of people that rules us at the same still doing so when they are through they will hand over the baton to thier kids which they've e been doing but as we are too blind to see and too forgetful of a people. one thing i realize is that the largest percentage of Nigerians living in diaspora are not people from rich home and are people setting out to make their mark on their own.
my suggestion is that maybe they should form a political party that Will only allow people from diaspora who are returning home to do things fro us maybe things might change for the better cause i feel this people have seen it all the way it being run out there and at the same time kind hearted cause our RULERS are too heartless they don't fucking care, even some BIG BROS wey no nice at all before dem commot Naija dey do good when they return, anybody out there to back this claim up?

meanwhile I'm still in Naija for now I'll surely go myself to go pick that thing wey everybody go pick for Western World (Knowledge of course) and will return back here to setthings right in whichever way i could, nothing is too small we've got to start from somewhere and for those who says they can return Bleep em and let them continue their lives as a second class citizen, that is their choice, we've got to live Naija up, Naijjjjjjjjjjeriaaaaaaaa big ups
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Seun(m): 6:09am On Feb 16, 2006
With the Internet, I don't see why you'll need to travel out to get knowledge.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by samT: 7:45am On Feb 16, 2006
Guys, whatever individual feelings you have toward Nigeria as a country. You are all right, You don’t have to go home if you think you are well placed, comfortable and happy where you are, because If you don’t have intention of contributing anything to Nigeria, my brother and sister you are better off in foreign land, because if go back the system will frustrate you, you will run back in no time. Yes is true, there are lot of things to consider to relocate to Nigeria especially if you have been out for years, but nothing is impossible for willing mind. No individual can change Nigeria but you can change your family or your closest community, doing that you have impact changes to some life.  We are all enjoying all the infrastructures in the western world today, we need to remember that they start from somewhere; they love and have loyalty of their country at heart and everyone of them start contributing little by little. That is what makes them what they are to day. It’s only you and I that can change that country. Nigeria is a potential great nation, full of honey and milk but majorities are suffering in the mist of plenty. Sorry!!
Hey! We talking about people back home or the situation at home, what about some treble Nigerians abroad? How do they present the country to outside world? We almost top the list of the world corrupt Nation. Go to any bank in UK, they know what we are like. My company trade on the Internet, we have merchant ID with Barclaycard and they sent memo out to all traders; that they should beware of Nigeria orders, how does that make me feel and other innocent Nigerians. Lately they ban using credit card for purchasing flight ticket to Nigeria route. No wonder many foreign investors refuse to invest in Nigeria.

Anyway, for those us that are fighters and still believed things can be changed for good. Keep up the good works.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by lioness(f): 11:42am On Feb 17, 2006
Na wao undecided

Okay, lets say we all decide to come back to nigeria this easter, Then what
Change isnt nigerians coming home. Change is from the presidency. So if you guys will make me first lady grin I will come home. grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Amobi1(m): 10:17am On Feb 19, 2006
you"re right!  This place we are slaving for them. No body has respect for black men. All you do is pay bill and talk about sex. No cultural identity. No Moral. etc. They are the best for shore but it sucks over here. Sure i won't like to go back to Nigeria but America sucks. 60-70% divorce rate. May be i will try some other place. You guys are complainig about naija political problems;not caring about the poor and etc,  But here is the same. The media does there best to degrade people race. "In God we Trust"? Please, tell me one Godly thing about the U.S. of A.  That the problem with nigerians, i will pay taxes to a white men but not in my own land. How can a country build if the ones with international experiences doesn't want to share it with his folks.  Look at Inians, Majority of them go back to contribute there experince. China has the bigest nuclear attack 2wice in world history. But they believe in themselvse. When i was in Nigeria my cousins use to drag about america. They will critisize my dad beautifull house, when i can here they all felt ashame of the mess up house the leave in. Not to mention drugs and the other stuffs. here is definetily messed up. That's how you differentiate local African, The ones that think America is Heaven are local. Well, for those of you that forsakes naija, we are are moving forward and it will all be alright. Afterall Rome, U.k the so call U.S were never build in a day!!!

Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by mochafella(m): 10:38am On Feb 19, 2006
Amobi 1:

That the problem with nigerians, i will pay taxes to a white men but not in my own land.

Have you ever heard of PAYE? Nigerian Federal and State civil servants have their taxes removed before they see their paycheck. Some Nigerians actually pay taxes. It is misused along with the rest of the govt revenue.

Amobi 1:

How can a country build if the ones with international experiences doesn't want to share it with his folks. Afterall Rome, U.k the so call U.S were never build in a day!!!
True they were never built in a day, but it was easy to see genuine effort was being made. An example. Thabo Mbeki of South Africa recently announced there will be no constitutional ammendment to allow him remain in power. OBJ on the other hand has refused to categorically silence the syncophants. Why encourage the mistrust and distraction? If you want Nigerians to return you have to earn their trust, most left when they got tired of the lies.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Amobi1(m): 11:24am On Feb 19, 2006
Ok, So you belive naija is not progressing? Think Twice,b/c,we just got of yrs of bad redgen, babaginda and abacha. We do have enough constitution. We just need to enforce it. adding new constitution doesn't help if we can abide by the one that r already exixsted. But well, we are progressing beleive it or not. Slowly though. That's all am saying. And we all need to make that secrifice.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by oasis: 6:54pm On Feb 19, 2006
Guys, whatever individual feelings you have toward Nigeria as a country. You are all right, You don’t have to go home if you think you are well placed, comfortable and happy where you are, because If you don’t have intention of contributing anything to Nigeria, my brother and sister you are better off in foreign land, because if go back the system will frustrate you, you will run back in no time.

What kind of an ignorant statement is this?

What do you mean Nigerians abroad aren't contributing anything to Nigeria?  What about the 10 billion dollars that get sent home each year to help family and friends? What about homes being built in Nigeria by Nigerians abroad. What about businesses being funded to provide employment for people at home?

Let me ask you a question,  Are you saying that if you're handed an American citizenship today, that you'd travel to America, and then return home after a while?  Although we don't have a way to prove or disprove whatever you say, I'm inclined to say you'd be lying if you say you'd return home.

There is zero benefit of people returning home.  The fact is, all of the ideas that people would have, would involve the government making substantial changes, such as spending our money on R&grin, rather than stealing it.  Can you sincerely tell me that your government would listen to such advice?

The media does there best to degrade people race. "In God we Trust"? Please, tell me one Godly thing about the U.S. of A. 

America takes care of its people.  That is very Godly.  There is freedom of speech and religion in America.  That is Godly.  When there's a natural disaster anywhere, America is the first to help.  That is Godly.  America has weapons that can melt the world down in a matter of hours, but it doesn't use it.  That is Godly.  America, compared to say Nigeria, has a pure heart. 

That the problem with nigerians, i will pay taxes to a white men but not in my own land. How can a country build if the ones with international experiences doesn't want to share it with his folks.

It's ok to pay taxes to a land that provides you with things that your own country does not.  Besides, the taxes aren't in vain.  When you retire, they pay you monthly support until you die.  Does Nigeria do that?  If you're old in Nigeria, you're old.  Nobody cares.

You people have no concrete suggestions as to how people can develop the nation if they return home.  Until you've done that, you're merely barking up the wrong tree.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by oasis: 7:06pm On Feb 19, 2006
There are so many things that Nigerians abroad can do for the nation without necessarily returning home.

I would like to see a full database of Nigerians, similar to social security # in America, or national insurance # in the UK.

Nigeria needs to be built from the ground up, not from the top down. Therefore, we must think of having certain things in place first, before true progress can occur. One of them is to have a complete database on every Nigerian.

I'm a computer programmer, and I would like to create such a database for Nigeria.

If you people insist that Nigerians abroad are the answer to the nation's development, let me hear back from you about the offer I just made above, telling me you're ready to move forward with the project.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by sage(m): 8:23pm On Feb 19, 2006
Amobi 1:

you"re right! This place we are slaving for them. No body has respect for black men. All you do is pay bill and talk about sex. No cultural identity. No Moral. etc. They are the best for shore but it sucks over here. Sure i won't like to go back to Nigeria but America sucks. 60-70% divorce rate. May be i will try some other place. You guys are complainig about naija political problems;not caring about the poor and etc, But here is the same. The media does there best to degrade people race. "In God we Trust"? Please, tell me one Godly thing about the U.S. of A. That the problem with nigerians, i will pay taxes to a white men but not in my own land. How can a country build if the ones with international experiences doesn't want to share it with his folks. Look at Inians, Majority of them go back to contribute there experince. China has the bigest nuclear attack 2wice in world history. But they believe in themselvse. When i was in Nigeria my cousins use to drag about america. They will critisize my dad beautifull house, when i can here they all felt ashame of the mess up house the leave in. Not to mention drugs and the other stuffs. here is definetily messed up. That's how you differentiate local African, The ones that think America is Heaven are local. Well, for those of you that forsakes naija, we are are moving forward and it will all be alright. Afterall Rome, U.k the so call U.S were never build in a day!!!

Guy sorry but y de yarn dust here.

CAN U FREAKINGLY TELL ME WHAT IS GODLY ABOUT NIGERIA APART FROM PRETENCE? NIGERIANS IN NIGERIA AND ALL OVER THE WORLD KEEP PRETENDING, THATS THE ONLY GODLY THING ABOUT NIGERIA. Most of Nigeria's problems is manmade so if it is a country full of godly people in a godly land i guess then godly is not a good word.

The U.S and other western countries are far better than Nigeria and thats an understatement infact.

Infact My Guy what are u still doing in an ungodly country like the U.S? Why are you still in a country without morals and ungodly while enjoying what it has to offer? Why have u not freakingly packed ur bags and gone back to ur Godly and impeccebly morally upright Nigeria and stayed put there?

ONE SOMALI PUT IT THIS WAY, U HAVE PEOPLE THAT COME BACK FROM THE WEST AND TELL THOSE AT HOME TO STAY HOME, BUT THESE SAME PEOPLE DONT COME BACK HOME AND STAY PERMANENTLY WITHOUT GOING BACK TO THE WEST. IF THEY LOVED THEIR COUNTRY SO MUCH WHAT ARE THEY DOING OUTSIDE WHILE STILL COMPLAINING.

CHOICES IN LIFE ARE SIMPLE, IF THE WEST(EUROPE, AND NORTH AMERICA) IS TOO UNGODLY 4 U, STOP FORKING COMPLAINING AND PACK UR BAGS AND GO BACK TO RIGHTEOUS NIGERIA

Chekena.Guys isnt it that simple?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Kokscity(m): 8:30pm On Feb 19, 2006
@Sage

I think u just unearthed a Hypocrite.Well said my brother!

Amobi

U cannot have it both ways. If Yankee is so bad, head back to the Villa!
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Amobi1(m): 11:48pm On Feb 19, 2006
Men! now i see you guys are part of the problems. let me break it down first of all : Nigeria doesn't go around the world telling people in God we trust (or we were built on a christian foundation) while 12 millions slave were tranported from Africa to here. Ofcourse the western world is better than 3rd world. No dought but we have things they don't.  Nigeria didn't authorize Isreal to have nuclear weapon while trying to disarm iran. 
Not to mention U.K. they bleeped us up for years. till we start resisting.  You quote "they have nuclear but they don't use it" that was the most stupiest statement i ever reed. Use it on who? the one they use on Japan, they haven't finished paying 4 it. They gave Saddam Hussem Nuclear gas to use againt Iran, just to be his friend (Oil), now he use it against his own country, or i can say refuse to get along with them they started crying. How save is the Nuclear weapon in the United State if Bush went to war without proper documentation. or false evidence. (just for his personal value). And all these scandols going on. and many more. Ofcourse, i don't blame some of you guys, depending on the live styles your were liveing in Nigeria. My cousin just left here to go back. people in my family comes here b/c my grand parents are from here. My dad is in nigeria, he comes here to visit tho. I should pack and go? i wonder who's the village boy speaking . i have the right to live wherever i want to but am heading to naija. When i graduate next yr i"ll go to Canada. Then head home to create jobs for my folks.

Well, i can see why no one repect africans here. The Somalia guy saying nobody is willing to go back home?
Somalians will head back home very soon. they just got out war. They are not as greedy as us.  Yeah Nigerians  love the cash.  Majority of our girls here never get married b/c people consider them ugly. they alway try to put us in a mess up category. Live is not all about cash Bro, the best thing in life is life.

And yeaaah. Let it be, very impatient people. Rome Was not Built in a day!!!!!!!!

And Finally, speaking about U.S help, thats make them Godly. Goshh!!!!!!!! Do some real research and see how Nigeria has overextended their power just to help African nation. While American help is just to get raid of industrial products for economical purpose. But you know what? if no one reply this post with a genuine argumen i won't reply. " the other lady said make me queen or first lady", Plz, you should b lucky if we let you work in the resturants. You have to earn it. NIIAJA WILL SURVIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by oasis: 2:21am On Feb 20, 2006
With all the vermin you're spewing about America, I wonder why you still live in that country.  Something must be good about America if you and your family all live there and are milking it dry.  How hypocritical.

Hiroshima-Nagasaki happened in 1945.  That was 60+ years ago.  Do you think America can do that today?  My answer is no.  Not because America doesn't have nuclear weapons anymore, but because the nation has changed.  So, my argument still stands that a nation like America that can melt down the world in a matter of hours, but doesn't do it, must be Godly.

Where would you rather live today, America or the middle east?  Why?  And what do you think would happen to you if the middle east acquires nuke capability?

About slavery in America, you're a hypocrite.

1. Why aren't you blaming your African ancestors who sold their children into slavery to begin with?  Without your greedy ancestors, slavery in America would never have occured.  They could have used juju to chase the whitemen away, but they didn't.
2. Let me remind you that it was the same America that abolished slavery, which they didn't have to.  Why didn't you comment on that?
3. Why are Afro-Americans still in America, if Nigeria/Africa is the place to be?  They do clearly know their roots.  Why don't they return to Africa?

They gave Saddam Hussem Nuclear gas to use againt Iran, just to be his friend (Oil), now he use it against his own country, or i can say refuse to get along with them they started crying.

We know that story.  Without a doubt, there are more classified documents that contain even more of such stories.  That notwithstanding, you still have much to fear from nuclear weapons in the hands of say Iran/Iraq, than in the hands of America.  So, in a way, America is a protector of the earth from murderous beasts.

There are many American policies that I disagree with myself.  It's far from flawless.  But, all in all, it's still a much better system than what you have in Nigeria.

Your argument seems to be that I should return to Nigeria and fix things.  How am I supposed to do that, unless you're prepared to elect me president, which I know would not happen?  There is no way I can effect change in Nigeria, when I'm surrounded by corruption that I cannot do anything about.

I would also like to set the record straight that America is a no-man's land.  You don't have to be black/white/yellow to be American.  You come in, and assimilate.  You make America your country, no matter your roots.

I didn't get an answer for the question about the 10 billion dollars that Nigerians send home each year to help people out, as well houses and business they build.  Don't be a hypocrite, answer that question. 

So if you blame Nigerians for staying in America, you're equally questioning why anybody lives in America at all.  The only true Americans are native Indians.  Anybody else should pack up and go home.

I also offered to help the nation build a database system.  Why didn't you answer that?

If you're going to be an objective analyst, you have to present the pros and cons, not just a one-sided view.

Ofcourse, i don't blame some of you guys, depending on the live styles your were liveing in Nigeria.

Most people around the world want to come to America.  It's got little to do with the lifestyle they were living back home.  In my opinion, the main reason people like America so much is because of the freedom that most countries don't have, not just economic reasons.  Many more people would aspire to be in America than in Islamic Saudi.  Yet, you can earn just as much money working in Saudi Arabia.  Did you ask yourself why?

And Finally, speaking about U.S help, thats make them Godly. Goshh!!!!!!!! Do some real research and see how Nigeria has overextended their power just to help African nation.

Name one natural disaster in Africa that Nigeria has overextended itself on.
I'm not talking about tribal wars, I said natural disasters. There's a big difference.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Seun(m): 2:28am On Feb 20, 2006
How is what you are saying related to the topic?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by oasis: 2:39am On Feb 20, 2006
How is what you are saying related to the topic?

How can you not see how it's related to the topic?
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Amobi1(m): 3:25am On Feb 20, 2006
i SEE WHAT YOU ARE COMING FROM OASIS. I know we do help with the millions that is sent to naija yearly, but don't tell me naija is not as sweet as it can get b/c we are exposed to luxury items. And if you think America can melt down the world if they want, go ahead and think so. Hitler way of thinking. There is always somebody that knows better than them, trust me. The American Engineers and doctors are made mostly of foreigners. For instance; i didn't get my green card till i got my B.S in Chemical Engr. Ofcourse they are all better than naija. But what message are we sending if we don't think naija can be better. Our ancestor sold people. cool. I guess you should dig into your history book and see for yourself, maybe try and analize everything too. Even the westerners are considering asking for an apology, but i quess you don't get it. you quote; "the main reason people like America so much is because of the freedom that most countries don't have" Do you know anything about the great depression in the 1930's? Well read about it. People signifigcally stopped coming to america just b/c that incidednt. I wish i can become an american but the truth is, with the citizenship papers and all that, i can never be an American. i know you won't believe me but kool. And as for my parents, my dad lives in naija, he comes here just to spent time. My mom was born here even  though she's a liberian native. Well, Nigeria sucks but is my home. And go ahead and blame my ancestors for slavery, since you don't do research. The database system you are talking about shouldn't be built now b/c it will do more harms than you can immagin. it should be done later. The bigest problem Africa faces now is industrilization.  The people need jobs. well, thats all. As i always end up saying. Rome was not built in a day.

Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by mochafella(m): 4:25am On Feb 20, 2006
@Amobi1
Amobi 1:

We do have enough constitution. We just need to enforce it. adding new constitution doesn't help if we can abide by the one that r already exixsted. But well, we are progressing beleive it or not. Slowly though. That's all am saying. And we all need to make that secrifice.

you are obviously very passionate, but you did not answer the crux of my statement which is about trust. Please read my comment properly. Yes we have a constitution, I am not asking that we change it, I am asking that we enforce it, but the political class beleives they can change whenever they want. Yes we need sacrifice but I am yet to see any genuine sacrifice from the politicos. My sentiment is that no matter how far you progress industrially, an unstable political climate will prevent the masses from seeing that benefit.

Amobi 1:

The bigest problem Africa faces now is industrilization. The people need jobs. well, thats all. As i always end up saying. Rome was not built in a day.

You talk about people needing jobs and industrialization. How do you provide jobs without investment? How do you attract investment without a stable political climate? Please don't tell me about local investment. We have being doing that for the last 20 years see how far it got us.

I know some will refer to OBJ's fruitless junkets abroad appealing to foreign investors as a reason for local investment. Well let me tell you this, such trips are unnecessary. How many trips do you see the Chinese communist party making, almost zero, yet companies are rushing in to invest, Why?

1) A huge under-marketed populace - 1billion people
2) Political stability - They may have human rights issues but the leadership has an established means of governance and it is followed not changed at whim.

Nigeria also has a huge under-marketed population. The largest in Africa. The one thing we lack is a transparent, serious government.

Please don't tell me the govt is trying. Let me tell you how the politicos are the start and end of our economic predicament. When Nigerian politicos pilfer resources, where do they ship it to? "Foreign banks". Who lends companies money to invest? "Foreign banks".
Do you think that a bank that knows the politicos behaviour will ask their clients to invest in that same country? Impossible. Let us not forget that this same drum of "come home" has been beaten b4 during OBJs time in 1977, and Nigerians heeded. The same Nigerians headed out again few years later when they saw the unseriousness of the Shagari govt. The fact that Nigerians don't revolt violently against the politicos does not mean we are blind. I repeat it is an issue of TRUST.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by oasis: 5:05am On Feb 20, 2006
@Amobi1

Focus your energy on fighting against corruption in Nigeria.  Don't waste energy campaigning for people to come home.  As long as corruption persists in government, you're always going to be a poor nation, no matter how many people return home.  If you disagree, then show me one nation as wealthy and as corrupt as Nigeria, that is doing great economically?

As far as having a database of Nigerians, you didn't explain why we don't need it.  Even Mexico as corrupt as it is, has a national registry of its citizens.

mochafella is one informed guy.  Read his message again if you didn't get his cause and effect analysis.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by Kokscity(m): 5:29am On Feb 20, 2006
Mocha and Oasis

You guys are holding it down .I think Amobi is arguing from his heart and not with facts. If Yankee was so bad why did you go ahead and get a green card. Why didn't you get your BS in Chemo in Unilag or Igbenidion University? Why are you having you parents waste money to come here on Vacation? Have them patronize Yankari game reserve or Obudu Cattle ranch. After you finish school u want to go to Canada abi? Why not just buy a one way ticket home to Nigeria. Infact i will go half on that ticket. Renounce your green card and i will pay for the ticket in full, and give you $2500 to start life in any city in Nigeria.

Dude the bottom line is you are all mouth and no action. Nigeria is a failed Nation and will only get better when we can call it what she is(Failed).Nigeria has failed it's citizenry,it's neighbors, and failed the continent period. I think we need to rise the Bleep up and take back that country. OH Here comes Seun lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided

Kokscity Living Free or Dying 24/7
Re: Nigerians Abroad Must Return Home by mochafella(m): 5:58am On Feb 20, 2006
Amobi 1:

people in my family comes here b/c my grand parents are from here. My dad is in nigeria, he comes here to visit tho.

Kokscity:

Why didn't you get your BS in Chemo in Unilag or Igbenidion University? Why are you having you parents waste money to come here on Vacation? Have them patronize Yankari game reserve or Obudu Cattle ranch.

Also why not invite the grand parents along with other family members to visit Nigeria for a few weeks a year. The tourism industry can do with the forex.

Amobi 1:

Then head home to create jobs for my folks.
Can I ask all jokes apart, how you intend to do that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lagos-ibadan Expressway: We Worry Over Rush Hour Traffic – Motorists / Most Populous Cities In Nigeria 2015 - T.I.N / How To Visit Songhai Farm Port Novo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 142
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.