Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,350 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? (8619 Views)

Nigeria Should Prepare For Post Boko Haram – UN Analyst / Group Supplies ICC With Evidence Linking Buhari To 2011 Post-election Violence / Election Violence Fears: Politicians, CEOs Move Families Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Arosa(m): 1:26pm On Apr 28, 2011
maclatunji:

Brilliant so the violence can continue if they deem it fit. So much for your great HUMANITARIAN SPIRIT!
So what do you think about this? If maybe I can solve your problem but haven't done it yet, it's then my fault that you have the problem. right? So you blame me for it.?
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by maclatunji: 4:23pm On Apr 28, 2011
Arosa:

So what do you think about this? If maybe I can solve your problem but haven't done it yet, it's then my fault that you have the problem. right? So you blame me for it.?
If it is your job to ensure that my problem does not affect other people and you do not keep me in check. Definitely, whatever negative effects my problem has on other people is your fault. It is not a matter of you can, it is a matter of it is your job.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Apr 28, 2011
A.Chigozie:

To answer the Op's question:

As an outsider looking in, I say the actual perpetrators of the violence are to blame, as well as the leaders of such people.  Anyone who doesn't repudiate violence, especially the mass murder of innocent people is NOT fit to lead their own  household, let alone an entire nation.   

When Bush and the right wing Supreme Court stole the election in 2000, there was no rioting or killing of people.  I remember remarking, that had the same incident happen in Africa, someone would be dead.  I'm ashamed to admit it now, but I made those remarks sorta admiringly.  embarassed   I was simply trying to demonstrate the seriousness of which many Africans take their elections, however true the statement may be, I should have NEVER been so flippant in discussing political violence.

Have there been any arrests made? 

Of course a number of the zombies that participated in the Fun of violence were arrested, but how does that solve the problem? These people are in their millions - arresting a handful of them would not make any impact - neither would it serve as deterrence against future occurence. We all know how suicidal and single-minded these Hausa/Fulani Muslims are (just like their Arab cousins). Whenever they resolve to feast on Southern Christians' blood, they simply swarm the streets like Bees - no military or police force can dissuade or repel them until they assuage their savage appetites with Southern-Christian blood. That is why the problem is a fundamental one, and only a simpleton would blame government - more so a government such as ours that is constrained by severe limitations in intelligence resources, well-trained and equipped security forces, and cutting edge technologies - and is therefore incapable of acting proactively to PREVENT the outbreak of such bestial violence. It is a difficult problem, and there are no bread-and-butter solutions. I sincerely believe that only a disintegration of this artificial geographical contraption called Nigeria can solve this problem. Can you imagine a country of Jews and Arabs co-existing peacefully as one nation? The latter would always be propelled by uncontrollable hate (occasioned by inferiority complex) to launch attacks on the former. That is exactly the case between Nigeria's Muslim North and Christian South. There is nothing to negotiate and manage between these two. Only mutual isolation and total disintegration would be the definitive solution. After that any misfortunate southern Nigerian that goes into the savage territory of Northern Nigeria does so at his own risk (just like an Israeli Jew going to Iran or Palestine).

P.S. By the way I think it is rather simplistic to conclude that the so -called 'post election violence' has much to do with the election in truth. The election was merely the catalyst of the surge of the quasi-holocaust against innocent southerners/Christians. The violent beasts in the north always seek catalysts of this sort to bare their fangs: if is not the elections, it would be that an 'infidel' touched their sacred Quran, or that a Christian-looking goat strayed into their Mosque; any excuse would do. So let us not over-sensationalize the election excuse. But in any case, the fact that their ethnic leaders (especially the Chief Islamic Extremist - General Buhari) incited them with treasonable pronouncements, and failed to act statesmanly by calling them to order at the onset of the violence makes them terribly complicit and deserving of appropriate punishment. Unfortunately, any move by government to arrest and prosecute treasonable felons like Buhari and some of the Imams and Mallams up north would only provide further excuse for the blood-thirsty vampires to surge out in their millions for another festival of violence against any creature even remotely southern/Christian. So you can see why the government is helplessly ensconced between a rock and a hard place. It's a messy, hopeless situation. Nothing but disintegration would suffice.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Arosa(m): 6:26pm On Apr 28, 2011
maclatunji:

If it is your job to ensure that my problem does not affect other people and you do not keep me in check. Definitely, whatever negative effects my problem has on other people is your fault. It is not a matter of you can, it is a matter of it is your job.

Interesting point. I agree with you that it is part of Jonathan’s job to ensure the safety of Nigerian citizens. However, you are oversimplifying the issue. Fact is, the Almajiri problem is on such a large scale that it is virtually impossible to provide this security. The most challenging aspects are, for one, the religious/fundamentalist motivation of these crimes, and secondly, the huge numbers of Almajiri youths - more than 10 million. To put this problem into perspective, these are children who have been bought up to hate non-Muslim Southerners. Furthermore, they have been led to believe that they will go to paradise for perpetrating these crimes. They are hungry, destitute and there is no place for them in society. Of course they will do anything they are told if they are promised paradise in return. Essentially, they are like parasites. Alternatively, they could be likened to zombies, unleashed onto society to wreak havoc. They are not afraid to die.
The Almajiri problem has been in existence in Nigeria long before Jonathan came into power. How can such a problem be solved overnight? Can it ever be solved?
How can security be provided for the Nigerian citizens who are being targeted by millions of these youths, bearing in mind their sheer number?
The core of this problem needs to be addressed. The society that created these Almajiris is the Northern society, and it is this society that needs to effect change. Even the colonialists failed in this task. And now you expect Jonathan, a president from a minority Southern ethnic group, to solve this problem?
I suspect that the Almajiri youths are used by Northern leaders as a political tool to intimidate Southern and Northern Christians. Buhari certainly didn’t help the situation by urging his people to ‘defend their vote’ and ‘lynching’ people suspected of rigging. Bakari, with his reference to the ‘Wild, wild North’ in case of defeat, is another culprit.
Expecting Jonathan to quench this conflict by unleashing the military will not solve the problem. Although many Almajiris will die, the riots will most likely reoccur because the root of the problem won’t be addressed. In fact, military action might make things worse, because it will be interpreted by Northerners as an attack on Islam. I strongly suspect that this is the reason Jonathan is being so conservative in addressing the issue.
The only way to solve the problem is for us Nigerians to put pressure on the Northern leaders, in order to make them rethink and reform their society. Their educational curricula need to include general education and skills that equip young people for real life, rather than purely focusing on religion.
To conclude, the Northern elite and the Imams are the ones who are responsible for these riots.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by AChigozie1(f): 6:30pm On Apr 28, 2011
pro01:

Of course a number of the zombies that participated in the Fun of violence were arrested, but how does that solve the problem? These people are in their millions - arresting a handful of them would not make any impact - neither would it serve as deterrence against future occurence. We all know how suicidal and single-minded these Hausa/Fulani Muslims are (just like their Arab cousins). Whenever they resolve to feast on Southern Christians' blood, they simply swarm the streets like Bees - no military or police force can dissuade or repel them until they assuage their savage appetites with Southern-Christian blood. That is why the problem is a fundamental one, and only a simpleton would blame government - more so a government such as ours that is constrained by severe limitations in intelligence resources, well-trained and equipped security forces, and cutting edge technologies - and is therefore incapable of acting proactively to PREVENT the outbreak of such bestial violence. It is a difficult problem, and there are no bread-and-butter solutions. I sincerely believe that only a disintegration of this artificial geographical contraption called Nigeria can solve this problem. Can you imagine a country of Jews and Arabs co-existing peacefully as one nation? The latter would always be propelled by uncontrollable hate (occasioned by inferiority complex) to launch attacks on the former. That is exactly the case between Nigeria's Muslim North and Christian South. There is nothing to negotiate and manage between these two. Only mutual isolation and total disintegration would be the definitive solution. After that any misfortunate southern Nigerian that goes into the savage territory of Northern Nigeria does so at his own risk (just like an Israeli Jew going to Iran or Palestine).

P.S. By the way I think it is rather simplistic to conclude that the so -called 'post election violence' has much to do with the election in truth. The election was merely the catalyst of the surge of the quasi-holocaust against innocent southerners/Christians. The violent beasts in the north always seek catalysts of this sort to bare their fangs: if is not the elections, it would be that an 'infidel' touched their sacred Quran, or that a Christian-looking goat strayed into their Mosque; any excuse would do. So let us not over-sensationalize the election excuse. But in any case, the fact that their ethnic leaders (especially the Chief Islamic Extremist - General Buhari) incited them with treasonable pronouncements, and failed to act statesmanly by calling them to order at the onset of the violence makes them terribly complicit and deserving of appropriate punishment. Unfortunately, any move by government to arrest and prosecute treasonable felons like Buhari and some of the Imams and Mallams up north would only provide further excuse for the blood-thirsty vampires to surge out in their millions for another festival of violence against any creature even remotely southern/Christian. So you can see why the government is helplessly ensconced between a rock and a hard place. It's a messy, hopeless situation. Nothing but disintegration would suffice.

Thanks for your reply, although I found some parts to be divisive, it did provide me with a better understanding, at least from a Southern's pov.  I do want to point out that there is no difference in "Christian" & 'Muslim" blood.  I also want to say that neither religion is indigenous to Africa (exception being Coptics Christians in Ethiopia) so when violence and other forms of discord takes place amongst Africans in the name of religion, one should ask themselves, "Who's religion is it that I fight my African brothers and sisters in the name of?"
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 7:25pm On Apr 28, 2011
A.Chigozie:

Thanks for your reply, although I found some parts to be divisive, it did provide me with a better understanding, at least from a Southern's pov.  I do want to point out that there is no difference in "Christian" & 'Muslim" blood.  I also want to say that neither religion is indigenous to Africa (exception being Coptics Christians in Ethiopia) so when violence and other forms of discord takes place amongst Africans in the name of religion, one should ask themselves, "Who's religion is it that I fight my African brothers and sisters in the name of?"  

Yes my posts can be deemed divisive, and necessarily so. One can't continue preaching a vain gospel of unity when dealing with people who not only resent you, but violently demonstrate that resentment ever so often. It's like accusing an abused spouse of being 'divisive' when she voices out her frustration at the ceaseless unprovoked violence against her by her husband and her preference for divorce rather than remaining in her abusive marriage for the sake of a superficial 'unity'.

I also agree that both Christianity and Islam are not indigenous to Africa, and it is very evident that African Christians understand this fact better than their Muslim counterparts - that is why you have never heard and would never hear of Christians here waging violence against anybody in the name of Christ. On the other hand, and rather unfortunately, we all know that perhaps millions of people have been killed over the years in Nigeria and worldwide with chants of 'Allah' on the murderers' lips. If you burn a Bible in public anywhere in Southern Nigeria, Christian onlookers would probably pity you and pray for you to avoid God's wrath. On the other hand, if you dare burn a Quran in public in any part of Northern Nigeria, you SHALL be immediately annihilated and burnt to death by Muslim onlookers who would take it upon themselves to visit their Allah's wrath upon an 'infidel' like you. For instance, few years ago, a cartoonist in faraway Denmark did a caricature of their Prophet Muhammed. . .only for some Muslims in Northern Nigeria to unlease their 'righteous rage' on hapless, innocent Christians there. These are cold-blooded facts;  and if being straightforward and honest enough to admit this ugly truth means being 'divisive', then I will be divisive as long as the situation persists. You can't be brothers and sisters with blood-thirsty and intolerant extremists that would kill you in cold-blood on a whim. Unity is not by force.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by nwajay(m): 10:10pm On Apr 28, 2011
Kobojunkie

GOD PURNISH YOU

YOU DEY TALK TRASH
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by obaf(m): 11:17am On Apr 29, 2011
@nwajay
we should be tolerant of each other's view. This is the kind of hatred that causes fight/war. It is not necessary! this is just a discussion forum, there are forces ruling this country, they sit down in their 20s and decide the country's future, but we go out and start killing each other while their own children are dating and marrying each other!
Please let us be calm, if there's development everywhere nobody will have time for all these wahala, see GEJ now, concentrating on the Niger-Delta militant, Almajiri is there in the North, Agbero in West.
The main problem is development, no job, at least in every home, now, there are 2 people looking for job, and 2 ladies unmarried because guys refused to settle down, no job.
so lets face facts, GEJ pays 1000 US dollars to each militants monthly, send them to school in South Africa, when they leaving 3000 dollars each , accomodation and all. now imagine, we at home, that went to school here, look for job, no job. those that get, 18,000naira is a problem for govt to pay.
Is that fairness?
all the amount i coat, i have fact. I know people that were sent to South Africa as militant that are not. so its not story.
The corruption level is too high. Dont even expect any development.

we have 774 local govt in Nig. Each local govt have atleast 20-30 Councillors, each on collect nothing less than 500,000naira monthly.
Chairman for the 774 LG collect nothing less than 2million naira.
Commissioner in each state nothing less than 5million, each state with like 30 commisioners. we have 37 states.
State house of assemble each collect nothing less than 7-8million each, each state have like 30-40 each.
State Govs collect nothing less than 20 million naira, not with Security votes.
Fed House of Rep, each collect nothing less than 15million, and we have like 170 or so of them
Senators each collect nothing less than 20 -30 million each and we have over 400 of them.
Ministers each one collect nothing less than 20 milllion each, we have over 40 of them
President is there, just forget his own.

Now imagine how much we are using to service all these our political office holders, Nigeria can never and will never develop.
We didnt mention all the appointees of ministeries.

So much money in the Land but so much poverty in the land.

That's why it pained me so much when Buhari lost, cos he gave is manufesto, tha the will cut down salaries of all politicians, probe all the excesses.
but people are judging on sentiment.

By next 2 months latest, fuel price will go up, if not up to 200 naira,Kerosene is already 700naira per gallon, Diesel is almost 200 naira.

I HOPE NIGERIA HAS A FUTURE, AM NOT SURE.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by fxtopedia(m): 12:03pm On Apr 29, 2011
obaf:

@nwajay
we should be tolerant of each other's view. This is the kind of hatred that causes fight/war. It is not necessary! this is just a discussion forum, there are forces ruling this country, they sit down in their 20s and decide the country's future, but we go out and start killing each other while their own children are dating and marrying each other!
Please let us be calm, if there's development everywhere nobody will have time for all these wahala, see GEJ now, concentrating on the Niger-Delta militant, Almajiri is there in the North, Agbero in West.
The main problem is development, no job, at least in every home, now, there are 2 people looking for job, and 2 ladies unmarried because guys refused to settle down, no job.
so lets face facts, GEJ pays 1000 US dollars to each militants monthly, send them to school in South Africa, when they leaving 3000 dollars each , accomodation and all. now imagine, we at home, that went to school here, look for job, no job. those that get, 18,000naira is a problem for govt to pay.
Is that fairness?
all the amount i coat, i have fact. I know people that were sent to South Africa as militant that are not. so its not story.
The corruption level is too high. Dont even expect any development.

we have 774 local govt in Nig. Each local govt have atleast 20-30 Councillors, each on collect nothing less than 500,000naira monthly.
Chairman for the 774 LG collect nothing less than 2million naira.
Commissioner in each state nothing less than 5million, each state with like 30 commisioners. we have 37 states.
State house of assemble each collect nothing less than 7-8million each, each state have like 30-40 each.
State Govs collect nothing less than 20 million naira, not with Security votes.
Fed House of Rep, each collect nothing less than 15million, and we have like 170 or so of them
Senators each collect nothing less than 20 -30 million each and we have over 400 of them.
Ministers each one collect nothing less than 20 milllion each, we have over 40 of them
President is there, just forget his own.

Now imagine how much we are using to service all these our political office holders, Nigeria can never and will never develop.
We didnt mention all the appointees of ministeries.

So much money in the Land but so much poverty in the land.

That's why it pained me so much when Buhari lost, cos he gave is manufesto, tha the will cut down salaries of all politicians, probe all the excesses.
but people are judging on sentiment.

By next 2 months latest, fuel price will go up, if not up to 200 naira,Kerosene is already 700naira per gallon, Diesel is almost 200 naira.

I HOPE NIGERIA HAS A FUTURE, AM NOT SURE.

I almost cry after perusal of this post may God help this country.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by maclatunji: 2:57pm On Apr 29, 2011
@fxtopedia, I am laughing at your signature.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by fxtopedia(m): 4:23pm On Apr 29, 2011
maclatunji:

@fxtopedia, I am laughing at your signature.

Why na? lipsrsealed
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by maclatunji: 5:09pm On Apr 29, 2011
^^^ I find it funny you are missing someone you hardly know. That's all.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by jomarq(m): 1:27am On May 01, 2011
please i will like you to ask me some question if there is what you did not understand about the situation becaucse am in the north now,ist of all buhari should be held responsible for the whole life lost and property as well
(1) we have 20 presidentail contestant and 19 lost
(2) we also have many cadidet that lost thesame position in other region
(3)even in north we still have poeple that lose also
now why can other nothern loser fight?
why can s/e or weastern loser fight?
buhari have allready prepard for war before election
and his annoyance on igbo and christian espcialy was that he told his people that they should support that if he win,
he will implement sharia law fully
nobody should blame GEJ.b/c hausa are not only nigeria and i belive dat hausa people tha are serving in the s/west are not going out with special force or police
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by gingike: 10:09am On May 01, 2011
Be the storyteller of the year !!!!

What you have to do?
Very simple !!!
Write your story anything that happened with you, or arround you this could be politics,love,health,magic,or anything that can attract people to vote for you. Post it in forums

http://www.newnigeriatube.com/forum

The competition runs from 30 April 2011 to 30 June 2011
The prize is a new Sony laptop
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by glorex(m): 5:45pm On May 01, 2011
the northerners are to blame.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

PDP Condemns Buhari’s Private Trip To UK Amid Insecurity / Detained Nigerian Activist, Chido Onumah Has Been Released By DSS / Zainab Ahmed: FG Spent ₦6.46 Trillion On Debt Servicing, Personnel In 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.