Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,719 members, 7,851,458 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:47 PM

Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? (8629 Views)

Nigeria Should Prepare For Post Boko Haram – UN Analyst / Group Supplies ICC With Evidence Linking Buhari To 2011 Post-election Violence / Election Violence Fears: Politicians, CEOs Move Families Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by ektbear: 4:30am On Apr 27, 2011
ose_o:

When Buhari was on the campaign trail and making statements like ", carry sticks and break their heads open" what did he think would happen if he lost? There are some things you should never say, except if your intention is to incite violence and stir up trouble.

Reference for that quote, please.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by PastorOla1: 7:04am On Apr 27, 2011
Blame the Federal Government because they lack the will power to punish the real offenders
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 7:31am On Apr 27, 2011
Typical nigerian BS.no wonder this country is where it is today. when something happens its always who is to blame. Never looking for steps to ensure that stuff like that doesnt repeat itself and from the way things are going violence has come to stay in this country. you can reject it in Jesus name 1gazillion times over but facts will remain facts. cool
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by jmoore(m): 7:42am On Apr 27, 2011
Blame should go to security personnel, they could avert escalation of such violence after 5-10 minutes of an incident.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by omo9ja1(m): 8:26am On Apr 27, 2011
I will pass the blame onto the federal Govt down to the local govt
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by maclatunji: 8:46am On Apr 27, 2011
Kobojunkie is on form in this thread. You see all over the world, we have EVIL, SICK AND DEMENTED PEOPLE WHO WOULD LIKE TO COMMIT THE MOST EVIL OF CRIMES. WHAT KEEPS THEM IN CHECK IS THE ACTIVE ENFORCEMENT OF LAW AND ORDER BY THE GOVERNMENT. ALL OF YOU BLAMING BUHARI DO NOT EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT THE CONCEPT OF GOVERNANCE IS ALL ABOUT. LET US FOR THE SAKE OF ARGUMENT AGREE WITH YOU THAT BUHARI IS TO BLAME, WHAT IS THE GOVERNMENT DOING ABOUT THIS SITUATION WHICH YOU FOLKS BELIEVE IS A FACT? LOVE HIM OR HATE HIM, BUHARI HAS EMERGED FROM THIS ELECTORAL PROCESS AS A FOLK HERO IN THE NORTH AND WITH MANY MEN OF PRINCIPLE FROM OTHER PARTS OF THE COUNTRY. QUESTION IS: WHAT WILL PRESIDENT GEJ DO ABOUT IT?

NOT MUCH, I DARESAY BECAUSE BETWEEN HIMSELF AND HIS DEPUTY WHO IS A NORTHERNER, THEY KNOW THE THINGS THEY DID TO BE DECLARED WINNERS OF THE PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION, ADD THAT TO OUR PERCEPTION OF THEM BEING MEN OF NOT-SO-STRONG WILL AND YOU KNOW WHERE THE BLAME LIES (PROVIDED OF COURSE YOU ARE NOT A HYPOCRITE!).
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by rexel99: 8:50am On Apr 27, 2011
i dont blame all the idiots that are mouthing blame the govt or GEJ. if any of u had lost a friend or relative u would be singing a different song. You all sitdown in the south and post all sort of nonsense. maybe if one of u had been here in the north to experience this u would know better.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by rexel99: 8:51am On Apr 27, 2011
i dont blame all the idiots that are mouthing blame the govt or GEJ. if any of u had lost a friend or relative u would be singing a different song. You all sitdown in the south and post all sort of nonsense. maybe if one of u had been here in the north to experience this u would know better.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by maclatunji: 9:57am On Apr 27, 2011
rexel99:

Of course, I commiserate with all those who lost loved ones, were maimed or lost property. However, if you do not solve the problem from the root-cause (which is what your post suggests and is what we have been doing so far), the sad truth is that these unfortunate events might happen again. However, if we hold those in position of political authority responsible for their failure to do their duty, then we are on the way to preventing such unfortunate events. Leave sentiments out and be objective.

Government is not for those who cannot act decisively with problems and crisis. If we continue to make excuses for those in government we have not learnt our lesson. People have already made the distinction between moral authority which Buhari obviously has and might have failed to utilize and constitutional authority and duty which President Jonathan has and he so obviously failed to exercise/carry out.

Yes, you may call Buhari immoral for not coming out immediately to call for the stoppage of violence (which by the way he did not cause), but it was/is President Goodluck Jonathan's job to prevent such from happening. Unfortunately, he failed woefully.

My conclusion, it is President Goodluck Jonathan's job to provide security for each and every citizen of this country irrespective of what Buhari or any other person does or fails to do. The buck stops on HIS table. The moment we all accept this and demand action from him, the faster this crisis will be put to a halt. If you continue making excuses for him then you by your action are part of the problem and not the solution. With great power comes great responsibilty,  yes the President of Nigeria has great power, but is he using it to the benefit of we the people? I serious doubt it if we cannot have effective security in every part of this country.

Alas! I fear that my people lack the ability to identify their problems talk-less of solving them, we have a long way to go.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by nagoma(m): 10:17am On Apr 27, 2011

[/color][color=#770077]Of course, I commiserate with all those who lost loved ones, were maimed or lost property. However, if you do not solve the problem from the root-cause (which is what your post suggests and is what we have been doing so far), the sad truth is that these unfortunate events might happen again. [img]http://However, if we hold those in position of political authority responsible for their failure to do their duty, then we are on the way to preventing such unfortunate events. Leave sentiments out and be objective.

Government is not for those who cannot act decisively with problems and crisis. If we continue to make excuses for those in government we have not learnt our lesson. People have already made the distinction between moral authority which Buhari obviously has and might have failed to utilize and constitutional authority and duty which President Jonathan has[b] and he so obviously failed to exercise/carry out.

Yes, you may call Buhari immoral for not coming out immediately to call for the stoppage of violence (which by the way he did not cause), but it was/is President Goodluck Jonathan's job to prevent such from happening. Unfortunately, he failed woefully.[/img][/color]
My conclusion, it is President Goodluck Jonathan's job to provide security for each and every citizen of this country irrespective of what Buhari or any other person does or fails to do. The buck stops on HIS table. The moment we all accept this and demand action from him, the faster this crisis will be put to a halt. If you continue making excuses for him then you by your action are part of the problem and not the solution. With great power comes great responsibilty, yes the President of Nigeria has great power, but is he using it to the benefit of we the people? I serious doubt it if we cannot have effective security in every part of this country.

Alas! I fear that my people lack the ability to identify their problems talk-less of solving them, we have a long way to go.

Mclatunji!

PRECISELY! DISPASSIONATE AND MATURE.[/b]

[color=#990000]
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by baslone: 10:20am On Apr 27, 2011
The governorship election in Imo State was fraught with diverse electoral malpractices, ranging
from ballot box snatching, ballot stuffing, thuggery, and outright voters disenfranchisement.

The opposition parties in the state have blamed these electoral malfeasance on the ruling People’s Democratic Party (PDP).

In Owerri North council area, as at 6.20pm, no election materials have been brought to over
five polling centres in the Okigwe Road and Orji areas of the council[b]. While there were security agents
at the polling units, there were no INEC officials in two of the polling units[/b].

In a polling unit in Ihiagwa, Owerri West council area, voters refused to vote with what they described
as ‘fake electoral materials’ brought in after some individuals, claiming to be policemen, took away the original
materials and brought a different set after three hours.

At Uzoagba, in Ikeduru council area, electoral materials in booth 8 were snatched by unidentified hoodlums. Also
at Okwu, Eziama, and Ugirike wards, ballot boxes and all electoral materials were snatched by unknown gunmen.

Amaimo Central School of the same council erupted in a free-for-all-fight following suspicions of manipulation.

At Nguru centre in Aboh Mbaise council area, men in army uniform, wielding military rifles, took away
electoral materials in the area.

In the same Aboh Mbaise, Godfrey Dikeocha, a former Speaker of the State Assembly and aide to governor
Ikedi Ohakim and one Ogunewe Princewill, a representative at Okeovoro Development Centre, allegedly stormed
polling units with armed thugs, two of whom were identified as Udochukwu Onyekwere and Ekwueme Nweke. The
polling booths raided are at Umunebie Ndigbu Uvuru.

“As at 6.10pm, there was no voting in the entire Ngor Okpala council area of Imo State due to issues
ranging from the absence of result sheets to the unavailability of other relevant documents for the elections,”
the chairman of the All Nigerian People’s Party (ANPP), Vitalis Ajumbe, said.

Snatching ballots

Ballot papers were allegedly taken away from these polling units and thumb printed for the PDP outside
the polling station by armed thugs hired by some officials of the state government.

There were many casualties, including one Hapuruchi Ejiekpe who was seriously injured and is hospitalised.

Also at Ezinihitte council area of the state, Chinemerem Madu, the PDP chairman of the area, allegedly
invaded polling booth 004, Ward 1, Amumara, Ezinihitte, with thugs; allegedly compelling voters to vote
PDP and openly sharing money to people.

A retired SSS officer, Joebra Nwachukwu, was reported to have been nearly assaulted when he challenged
them. The police were called in, but did not intervene in the matter and left in their Imo Transport Company
(ITC) commercial bus, Registration No. XC 846 WER.

Some of the colluding policemen were identified as Ekene Basil (401435); Chilaka Duru (427155); Paul Sunday (without number), and others.

It was a theatre of war in Oguta council area, as sporadic gunshots were heard from different areas,
especially the Izombe community where two of the major contenders for the House of Assembly seat
came from. There was rampant snatching of ballot boxes and electoral materials at Izombe.

There was also unconfirmed report of an arrest at a hotel in the state capital, where people were caught
thumb printing in one of the hotel rooms, although the police spokesperson refused to confirm it.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by texazzpete(m): 10:54am On Apr 27, 2011
rexel99:

Still the same tired and imbecilic argument you people throw out.
If you had lost a friend of relative in Jos this january, would you have been blaming Buhari? If your loved one was killed during the Reinhard Bonnke/Akaluka/Miss World/Danish cartoon riots, would you have blamed CPC?

There's a Government to which most of us pay taxes to. In return, they are charged with ensuring the safety of their citizens, with none having more responsibility than the Commander in chief of the armed forces, and the man who the Police IGP and the SSS heads report to.

If ordinary forumites claim that Buhari's speeches were 'inciting', shouldn't the SSS, Police and army have had similar concerns and should have been on ground to curtail any violence?

After 9/11, Americans turned to their President, the FBI and CIA for answers and explanations on how that tragedy was allowed to happen. Since then, these agencies have become more proactive. It's only in Nigeria where majority of the people are complacent SHEEP that we are all content with our Government being reactive, mere months after hundreds were slaughtered in Jos in the past few months.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by IykeD(m): 11:05am On Apr 27, 2011
texazzpete:

Still the same tired and imbecilic argument you people throw out.
If you had lost a friend of relative in Jos this january, would you have been blaming Buhari? If your loved one was killed during the Reinhard Bonnke/Akaluka/Miss World/Danish cartoon riots, would you have blamed CPC?

There's a Government to which most of us pay taxes to. In return, they are charged with ensuring the safety of their citizens, with none having more responsibility than the Commander in chief of the armed forces, and the man who the Police IGP and the SSS heads report to.

If ordinary forumites claim that Buhari's speeches were 'inciting', shouldn't the SSS, Police and army have had similar concerns and should have been on ground to curtail any violence?

After 9/11, Americans turned to their President, the FBI and CIA for answers and explanations on how that tragedy was allowed to happen. Since then, these agencies have become more proactive. It's only in Nigeria where majority of the people are complacent SHEEP that we are all content with our Government being reactive, mere months after hundreds were slaughtered in Jos in the past few months.

Exactly what i am saying(with emphasis on the bolded part). It takes only a not-so-smart person to believe or say that one man is responsible for the violence that has erupted in the North.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by edicolove: 11:22am On Apr 27, 2011
Those who continue to justify murders and destruction by attributing it to purported rigging and the faiure of govt will share in the blood of those who were killed. Like a columnist said in Thisday, they have trivialized the death of innocent people and glorified the so-called reason for the genocide. Posterity will require the blood from your hands.

1. You are justifying a premeditated murder and destruction that started on Saturday night in Gombe when results where not even collated. By Sunday night, half of the north was already burning. Results were announced on Monday.
2. You are justifying an incitement to violence by Buhari when he went on air on Saturday and started saying the elections were already rigged. After he had told the mob during his campaign that they should lynch anyone who rigged.
3. You are justifying the barbaric slaughter of innocent Youth Corpers and pastors with the cry of "sai Buhari". Those cutlasses were coming down the necks of those innocents under the cry of "sai Buhari". Heaven will judge.
4. You are justifying the violence that erupted because a southerner won an election. The same violence that never was when Yaradua won in 2007 even after most people said the election was a sham.
5. You are justifying the burning of churches that had nothing to do with the elections.

Posterity will judge all of you. Most of you stay abroad and write all this stuff. But may posterity judge all of you that have tried to trivialize the death of Okporokiri and Ikechukwu who were mowed down just because they refused to allow underage voting and mass thumb printing by CPC supporters. Anyone who continues to justify their death will have their blood on his hands. You can insult me all you like, but what goes around comes around.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by baslone: 11:31am On Apr 27, 2011
edicolove:

Those who continue to justify murders and destruction by attributing it to purported rigging and the faiure of govt will share in the blood of those who were killed. Like a[b] columnist said in Thisday[/b], they have trivialized the death of innocent people and glorified the so-called reason for the genocide. Posterity will require the blood from your hands.

Oh no!!!! Not again!!!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by edicolove: 11:41am On Apr 27, 2011
^^^^

You cannot divert attention from my post with your diversionary tactics however you try. You cannot trivialize the posts by trying to shift the focus to an argument on Thisday. That is a cheap try.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by jpphilips(m): 11:46am On Apr 27, 2011
@ Kobojunkie,

Why not blame your Government for not adequately providing security for the people? 16000, and counting, is the estimated number of deaths by riot since 1999. These riots have become regular as it happens every other month, yet in all 12 years, the response of the Government remains seriously lacking and our police force still remains inadequately effective in quelling the situation. What are we paying the Government? To sit back so we can continue hating each other and deciding who to blame come every riot?

When Katrina happened in America and riots broke out, did you see people on TV blaming black people or white people? NO, they all turned to blame the Government for not providing adequate security and provisions for the people. Why can't we step out of ourselves for once to think properly as a nation
R

Forget Nairaland, most of them are illiterates, i cant believe what i see on this forum. after 22.5m of you voted for recurrent insecurity, you are now blaming a civillian like buhari to come to your rescue. grin grin grin because the north is burning when jo boy sits like an old cracked solomon in aso rock sipping champagne with cohorts and laughing at your gullibility.

A responsible govt is proactive in tackling recurrent security challenges not blame people for it,
in 2005, i was one of the people that bemoaned the extent of nonchalance our govt is using for the MEND uprising
three yrs on they have opened branches local and international, 5yrs on they have met a reputation of world class terrorists. our solution is Arms buy back and Amnesty.

today we have the almajiris in the north, what i expect a reasonable govt to do is prior to elections, a special force could have been nominated, trained and equipped for such mission, the clerics, politicians that mobilize them would have been isolated quietly and we will have our peace.
i wont be surprised if the DMI doesn't even know where to start from, give them a chance, they go on killing spree.
the beauty of democracy live with clueless jo boy and don't complain when your father dies up north.

na today you know say naija is a home for morons
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by jpphilips(m): 11:46am On Apr 27, 2011
@ Kobojunkie,

Why not blame your Government for not adequately providing security for the people? 16000, and counting, is the estimated number of deaths by riot since 1999. These riots have become regular as it happens every other month, yet in all 12 years, the response of the Government remains seriously lacking and our police force still remains inadequately effective in quelling the situation. What are we paying the Government? To sit back so we can continue hating each other and deciding who to blame come every riot?

When Katrina happened in America and riots broke out, did you see people on TV blaming black people or white people? NO, they all turned to blame the Government for not providing adequate security and provisions for the people. Why can't we step out of ourselves for once to think properly as a nation
R

Forget Nairaland, most of them are illiterates, i cant believe what i see on this forum. after 22.5m of you voted for recurrent insecurity, you are now blaming a civillian like buhari to come to your rescue. grin grin grin because the north is burning when jo boy sits like an old cracked solomon in aso rock sipping champagne with cohorts and laughing at your gullibility.

A responsible govt is proactive in tackling recurrent security challenges not blame people for it,
in 2005, i was one of the people that bemoaned the extent of nonchalance our govt is using for the MEND uprising
three yrs on they have opened branches local and international, 5yrs on they have met a reputation of world class terrorists. our solution is Arms buy back and Amnesty.

today we have the almajiris in the north, what i expect a reasonable govt to do is prior to elections, a special force could have been nominated, trained and equipped for such mission, the clerics, politicians that mobilize them would have been isolated quietly and we will have our peace.
i wont be surprised if the DMI doesn't even know where to start from, give them a chance, they go on killing spree.
the beauty of democracy live with clueless jo boy and don't complain when your father dies up north.

na today you know say naija is a home for morons
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by edicolove: 11:50am On Apr 27, 2011
Buhari's Command to violence and lynching

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-615556.0.html
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by IykeD(m): 11:51am On Apr 27, 2011
edicolove:

Those who continue to justify murders and destruction by attributing it to purported rigging and the faiure of govt will share in the blood of those who were killed. Like a columnist said in Thisday, they have trivialized the death of innocent people and glorified the so-called reason for the genocide. Posterity will require the blood from your hands.

1. You are justifying a premeditated murder and destruction that started on Saturday night in Gombe when results where not even collated. By Sunday night, half of the north was already burning. Results were announced on Monday.
2. You are justifying an incitement to violence by Buhari when he went on air on Saturday and started saying the elections were already rigged. After he had told the mob during his campaign that they should lynch anyone who rigged.
3. You are justifying the barbaric slaughter of innocent Youth Corpers and pastors with the cry of "sai Buhari". Those cutlasses were coming down the necks of those innocents under the cry of "sai Buhari". Heaven will judge.
4. You are justifying the violence that erupted because a southerner won an election. The same violence that never was when Yaradua won in 2007 even after most people said the election was as sham.
5. You are justifying the burning of churches that had nothing to do with the elections.

Posterity will judge all of you. Most of you stay abroad and write all this stuff. But may posterity judge all of you that have tried to trivialize the death of Okporokiri and Ikechukwu who were mowed down just because they refused to allow underage voting and mass thumb printing by CPC supporters. Anyone who continues to justify their death will have their blood on his hands. You can insult me all you like, but what goes around comes around.

Mr, don't let unnecessary emotions becloud your sense of reasoning and judgement. Who is justifying the killings, i am probably more concerned than you are cos i know someone who was affected. How hard is it for you to extract or discern facts from what we are saying here? I am saying these violence has nothing to do with the elections and there you go contradicting yourself (see the highlighted part of your lines). Now i implore you to bring the links to all those stuffs you said about them asking the people to say sai Buhari, so that means if one said Sai Buhari, he would not be killed right? Who in his right senses will see death coming and what could save him was just mere utter of "sai buhari" and wouldn't scream it? Come on man, you should be smarter than this! The link we all read here weekend of a brave northerner who saved some southerners was that the animals asked them to say some Islamic stuffs and not "your sai Buhari". The whole thing is not political and i repeat it again, it is not political, it is religious and tribalism which was timed with the electioneering period. Now also if Buhari is responsible, is he bigger than Nigeria, this is almost two weeks now, why hasn't he been at least summoned for questioning by the SSS or other security operatives as  they usually do? What i am saying and will continue to say is that the government has failed in their duty to provide security to the common masses of the federal republic of Nigeria, if nothing is done and you come here shouting Buhari all day, it will not change anything, let the Government do something and fast for that matter. An ordinary legislator, even a commissioner goes around with about 10-20 fully armed mobile policemen and soldiers, why can't they just make sure that one fully armed soldier is responsible for at least 100 people in that heated region? Think, think!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by virgo(f): 12:01pm On Apr 27, 2011
edicolove:

4. You are justifying the violence that erupted because a southerner won an election. The same violence that never was when Yaradua won in 2007 even after most people said the election was a sham.

Thank you for your comments. It is just sickening when we shy away from the truth. No doubt, the Government has a responsibility to its citizens, but the truth is the culture of hate in the North has been in existence before the emergence of PDP. The argument of government stepping up to its responsibility is one I have read from many people of Hausa Fulani extraction all over the net. It is a diversionary tactic to lure everyone from questioning the elites of the North as to why their foot soldiers always maim innocent Nigerians.

If not for public opinion and pressure from all quarters, Buhari would almost not have gone on air to condemn the violence. He stopped short of addressing the murder of those innocent corpers with his excuse that PDP must explain the numbers at the poll. Why hasn't CPC talked about child voting. Christian Purefroy of CNN addressed the issue of child voting and Buhari told him that he had not heard of it. The hypocrisy.

The truth is that those from the South who are blaming the government are only singing the same song of the hypocrites in the North who have come out in full force to blame Jonathan, without explaining why it is only Northern Muslims that deem it fit to slaughter human beings whenever the mood moves them. I maintain that Buhari has his own part in the violence. The man had a cult following among the almajiris that killed people in the post election violence. If he had the interest of Nigeria at heart, he should have come out in full force to condemn the killings without necessarily excusing the violence based on allegations of rigging. The rampaging youths would have listened to him had he done that. It was only after there was a public outcry that he made a halfhearted attempt to call his illiterate, stoned followers to order. We cannot continue to trivialize the deaths of corpers without taking the North's unnecessary resort to aggression at every point for granted.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by rolchi(m): 12:14pm On Apr 27, 2011
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by virgo(f): 12:19pm On Apr 27, 2011
IykeD:

Mr, don't let unnecessary emotions becloud your sense of reasoning and judgement. Who is justifying the killings, i am probably more concerned than you are cos i know someone who was affected. How hard is it for you to extract or discern facts from what we are saying here? I am saying these violence has nothing to do with the elections and there you go contradicting yourself (see the highlighted part of your lines). Now i implore you to bring the links to all those stuffs you said about them asking the people to say sai Buhari, so that means if one said Sai Buhari, he would not be killed right? Who in his right senses will see death coming and what could save him was just mere utter of "sai buhari" and wouldn't scream it? Come on man, you should be smarter than this! The link we all read here weekend of a brave northerner who saved some southerners was that the animals asked them to say some Islamic stuffs and not "your sai Buhari". The whole thing is not political and i repeat it again, it is not political, it is religious and tribalism which was timed with the electioneering period. Now also if Buhari is responsible, is he bigger than Nigeria, this is almost two weeks now, why hasn't he been at least summoned for questioning by the SSS or other security operatives as  they usually do? What i am saying and will continue to say is that the government has failed in their duty to provide security to the common masses of the federal republic of Nigeria, if nothing is done and you come here shouting Buhari all day, it will not change anything, let the Government do something and fast for that matter. An ordinary legislator, even a commissioner goes around with about 10-20 fully armed mobile policemen and soldiers, why can't they just make sure that one fully armed soldier is responsible for at least 100 people in that heated region? Think, think!

You implore others to think but well excuse me, have you not heard the witness statements of one of the corpers who escaped the death that claimed the late Obinna Okpokiri, Ukeoma Ikechukwu, Seun Adewumi and others killed in Giade Bauchi? They were not even given a chance!!!! In the case of Seun, one of his students identified him!!!! Do you think he was given a chance to say "Sai Buhari?". Who would see life and death, and then choose to die? Wow!!! Please try to imagine the terror these poor souls went through before you trivialize their deaths. If you go back and read the story of that non Hausa Fulani Muslim that saved those Christians again, he said as the rioters continued to hack one of their victims to death, they were asking him to repeat Arabic proclamation of Allah's greatness and the man tried but he was too weak. Note the word "too weak". I assume those guys had no intention of sparing him if they didn't give him a chance to repeat their words.

Also, Buhari has managed to entrench his Messianic syndrome into the consciousness of the average almajiri, and coupled with the resentment of a Southerner being in charge, the anti South, anti- Christian sentiments is bound to rise again. Besides that, how can you arrest a man if there is no evidence of direct involvement in the killings of corpers? We as intelligent beings will blame him and Tunde Bakare for making inciting speeches, but that is all the evidence we have. In the courts of law, that evidence is inadmissible. I agree that the government owes Nigerians more than bloated legislators and senators with fat salaries but we must ask the Northern elites to stamp out the culture of hate in their midst.
[quote][/quote]
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by maclatunji: 12:22pm On Apr 27, 2011
virgo:

Thank you for your comments. It is just sickening when we shy away from the truth. No doubt, the Government has a responsibility to its citizens, but the truth is the culture of hate in the North has been in existence before the emergence of PDP. The argument of government stepping up to its responsibility is one I have read from many people of Hausa Fulani extraction all over the net. It is a diversionary tactic to lure everyone from questioning the elites of the North as to why their foot soldiers always maim innocent Nigerians.

If not for public opinion and pressure from all quarters, Buhari would almost not have gone on air to condemn the violence. He stopped short of addressing the murder of those innocent corpers with his excuse that PDP must explain the numbers at the poll. Why hasn't CPC talked about child voting. Christian Purefroy of CNN addressed the issue of child voting and Buhari told him that he had not heard of it. The hypocrisy.

The truth is that those from the South who are blaming the government are only singing the same song of the hypocrites in the North who have come out in full force to blame Jonathan, without explaining why it is only Northern Muslims that deem it fit to slaughter human beings whenever the mood moves them. I maintain that Buhari has his own part in the violence. The man had a cult following among the almajiris that killed people in the post election violence. If he had the interest of Nigeria at heart, he should have come out in full force to condemn the killings without necessarily excusing the violence based on allegations of rigging. The rampaging youths would have listened to him had he done that. It was only after there was a public outcry that he made a halfhearted attempt to call his illiterate, stoned followers to order. We cannot continue to trivialize the deaths of corpers without taking the North's unnecessary resort to aggression at every point for granted.

So from your several presentations, one can conclude that the President of Nigeria is as helpless in this situation as a newly-born lamb, or what exactly do you want us to take away from your continuous ranting about Buhari and what you believe to be his "army of Almajiris"?
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by edicolove: 12:25pm On Apr 27, 2011

What part of the english language dont you understand. I said the murderers were killing people and shouting "sai Buhari" as they murdered their victims. You can read the story of the brave patriotic northerner again and open your eyes this time. How can you say the violence had nothing to do with the elections?

1. Was there any violence like that in the north b4 the elections? Jos crisis was a tribal one. Did you not see the difference between that and this one?
2. Did the almajiris that were arrested not say that they did what they did because of the "purported rigging"
3. If is was not about elections, will they have attacked northerners who were members of PDP? have you ever seen a riot where the northerners attacked their own leaders b4?

what are you talking about? please stop justifying the murders. for every murder you justify, the blood of the innocent will be on your hands. period!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by virgo(f): 12:28pm On Apr 27, 2011
maclatunji:

So from your several presentations, one can conclude that the President of Nigeria is as helpless in this situation as a newly-born lamb, or what exactly do you want us to take away from your continuous ranting about Buhari and what you believe to be his "army of Almajiris"?

I don't have to explain myself to you. I have expressed my opinion. You have a right to yours and I do not begrudge you that right. Frankly some the men I have come across on NL embarrass themselves just to prove their intellectual prowess. If your point is GEJ is to blame for the riots, please stick to it. I maintain that Buhari has a part in the riots. Rubbish!!!!  angry
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by IykeD(m): 12:31pm On Apr 27, 2011
virgo:

You implore others to think but well excuse me, have you not heard the witness statements of one of the corpers who escaped the death that claimed the late Obinna Okpokiri, Ukeoma Ikechukwu, Seun Adewumi and others killed in Giade Bauchi? They were not even given a chance!!!! In the case of Seun, one of his students identified him!!!! Do you think he was given a chance to say "Sai Buhari?". Who would see life and death, and then choose to die? Wow!!! Please try to imagine the terror these poor souls went through before you trivialize their deaths. If you go back and read the story of that non Hausa Fulani Muslim that saved those Christians again, he said as the rioters continued to hack one of their victims to death, they were asking him to repeat Arabic proclamation of Allah's greatness and the man tried but he was too weak. Note the word "too weak". I assume those guys had no intention of sparing him if they didn't give him a chance to repeat their words.

Also, Buhari has managed to entrench his Messianic syndrome into the consciousness of the average almajiri, and coupled with the resentment of a Southerner being in charge, the anti South, anti- Christian sentiments is bound to rise again. Besides that, how can you arrest a man if there is no evidence of direct involvement in the killings of corpers? We as intelligent beings will blame him and Tunde Bakare for making inciting speeches, but that is all the evidence we have. In the courts of law, that evidence is inadmissible. I agree that the government owes Nigerians more than bloated legislators and senators with fat salaries but we must ask the Northern elites to stamp out the culture of hate in their midst.

Oh you are here again! Please read my comments well before you reply. I was responding to the gentleman who said the miscreants were shouting sai buhari and needed their victims to do same. I was only buttressing my point that the issue is anything but political. You say people's comments incite violence, so tell me what are you trying to achieve by saying i am trivializing people's death? Again, read my comments well before posting!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Apr 27, 2011
;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by edicolove: 12:42pm On Apr 27, 2011

there is actually something GEJ can do. Help split the country. But I guess most of you will start shouting he shouldnt. The president is very helpless because the truth is any action from him will be read as an action of a southerner against the north. Do you know the perpetrators of this acts actually wanted a situation where the south will do reprisal attacks and then the country will be plunged into a state of emergency setting the stage for military takeover? These guys aint fools. They have planned it a long time ago. The Ciroma committee started this whole thing. then the Imams picked it up and started preaching in their mosques that GEJ was a "kafir". An infidel. and that it was their turn to rule Nigeria. Buhari knew all this and still went ahead to tell them to lynch. Did you also notice that the week before the elections, IBB,  Atiku and Gusau joined the Ciroma group to work for the emergence of Buhari? These are supposed to be sworn enemies but they still had to agree on a northern candidate and were willing to put their differences apart to allow Buhari emerge. The mistake they made however was that they didnt realise the emergence of a new crop of northern leaders who thought differently. That was why GEJ was able to get votes from the north. now those old northern leaders have suddenly been rendered irrelevant.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by maclatunji: 12:52pm On Apr 27, 2011
virgo:

I don't have to explain myself to you. I have expressed my opinion. You have a right to yours and I do not begrudge you that right. Frankly some the men I have come across on NL embarrass themselves just to prove their intellectual prowess. If your point is GEJ is to blame for the riots, please stick to it. I maintain that Buhari has a part in the riots. Rubbish!!!!  angry

Awwwww, don't be like that. Okay, I agree with you that "Buhari has a part in the riots", I give him 10% of the blame. However, you should agree with me that President Goodluck Jonathan takes 90% of the blame. He gets an A in terms of apportionment of blame while Buhari gets a big F. Hence, we can conclude that the President has failed brilliantly (or woefully) in this regard. I also conclude that Buhari cannot be said to have done much to deserve much blame- his F (blame) is neglible almost insignificant in regard to the present situation which we find ourselves.

So as a gentleman, I want you to  cheesy cheesy cheesy and see the truth in my submissions (I do not like offending ladies even if it is over the internet).
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by virgo(f): 1:00pm On Apr 27, 2011
edicolove:

there is actually something GEJ can do. Help split the country. But I guess most of you will start shouting he shouldnt. The president is very helpless because the truth is any action from him will be read as an action of a southerner against the north. Do you know the perpetrators of this acts actually wanted a situation where the south will do reprisal attacks and then the country will be plunged into a state of emergency setting the stage for military takeover? These guys aint fools. They have planned it a long time ago. The Ciroma committee started this whole thing. then the Imams picked it up and started preaching in their mosques that GEJ was a "kafir". An infidel. and that it was their turn to rule Nigeria. Buhari knew all this and still went ahead to tell them to lynch. Did you also notice that the week before the elections, IBB,  Atiku and Gusau joined the Ciroma group to work for the emergence of Buhari? These are supposed to be sworn enemies but they still had to agree on a northern candidate and were willing to put their differences apart to allow Buhari emerge. The mistake they made however was that they didnt realise the emergence of a new crop of northern leaders who thought differently. That was why GEJ was able to get votes from the north. now those old northern leaders have suddenly been rendered irrelevant.

You should have seen the way those silly miscreants were celebrating at the sight of military helicopters. They thought the plans of their puppeteers had worked and the military had taken over. Like their plan was going to going to work in the first place, LOL. Since when did the South start enjoying reprisal attacks? Their leaders are only setting the stage for a break up if they continue to feed their follower the "kaffir" line. Silly people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why The Agitation For Biafra Must Cease Immediately / Pictures From Parade And Wreath Laying Ceremony In Enugu / With Abiola As President, Nigeria Could Have Been Spared Ethno-religious Tension

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 163
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.