Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,713 members, 7,851,432 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 07:10 PM

Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? (8628 Views)

Nigeria Should Prepare For Post Boko Haram – UN Analyst / Group Supplies ICC With Evidence Linking Buhari To 2011 Post-election Violence / Election Violence Fears: Politicians, CEOs Move Families Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Apr 27, 2011
Perhaps if Buhari & his cohorts openly condemned the violence at the outset (In Hausa,then english ,as he loves doing)then all these bloodshed would have been avoided.

The fact that he lost an election,whether rigged or not,does not warrant the loss of one human life!!!!

Yes,GEJ is the Chief security officer of the nation,but Buhari and other influential Nigerians,have a duty to help maintain law and order.Nigeria should not go to pieces because of the ambition of people who would do nothing to change the status Quo.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 1:06pm On Apr 27, 2011
virgo:

Thank you for your comments. It is just sickening when we shy away from the truth. No doubt, the Government has a responsibility to its citizens, but the truth is the culture of hate in the North has been in existence before the emergence of PDP. The argument of government stepping up to its responsibility is one I have read from many people of Hausa Fulani extraction all over the net. It is a diversionary tactic to lure everyone from questioning the elites of the North as to why their foot soldiers always maim innocent Nigerians.

If not for public opinion and pressure from all quarters, Buhari would almost not have gone on air to condemn the violence. He stopped short of addressing the murder of those innocent corpers with his excuse that PDP must explain the numbers at the poll. Why hasn't CPC talked about child voting. Christian Purefroy of CNN addressed the issue of child voting and Buhari told him that he had not heard of it. The hypocrisy.

The truth is that those from the South who are blaming the government are only singing the same song of the hypocrites in the North who have come out in full force to blame Jonathan, without explaining why it is only Northern Muslims that deem it fit to slaughter human beings whenever the mood moves them. I maintain that Buhari has his own part in the violence. The man had a cult following among the almajiris that killed people in the post election violence. If he had the interest of Nigeria at heart, he should have come out in full force to condemn the killings without necessarily excusing the violence based on allegations of rigging. The rampaging youths would have listened to him had he done that. It was only after there was a public outcry that he made a halfhearted attempt to call his illiterate, stoned followers to order. We cannot continue to trivialize the deaths of corpers without taking the North's unnecessary resort to aggression at every point for granted.

Impeccable reasoning, flawless points. I'm just repulsed at how some folks keep glossing over the real issue and prefer to blame government. The fundamental question anyof these retards should silence me forever by answering is: why ALWAYS the north? Ethno-religious/sectarian violence is EXCLUSIVELY a northern phenomenon, why so? Why not focus attention to this fact FIRST before glibly attempting to be clever by half by blaming GEJ or the federal government. For several decades the northern muslims have kept attacking southerners and Christians at the slightest provocation. Question is: WHY? Does that not suggest that something must be FUNDAMENTALLY wrong with them? WHY NOT ADDRESS THIS ANOMALY. . .rather than adopting the hypocritically deceitful and simplistic view that it is government's responsibility to protect lives and property! Gosh, my blood boils at such sophistry.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by pawa4ul: 1:07pm On Apr 27, 2011
who is to blame is not a question. we all know that buhari is to blame. he should be arrested and leached!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by IykeD(m): 1:08pm On Apr 27, 2011
edicolove:

What part of the english language dont you understand. I said the murderers were killing people and shouting "sai Buhari" as they murdered their victims. You can read the story of the brave patriotic northerner again and open your eyes this time. How can you say the violence had nothing to do with the elections?

1. Was there any violence like that in the north b4 the elections? Jos crisis was a tribal one. Did you not see the difference between that and this one?
2. Did the almajiris that were arrested not say that they did what they did because of the "purported rigging"
3. If is was not about elections, will they have attacked northerners who were members of PDP? have you ever seen a riot where the northerners attacked their own leaders b4?

what are you talking about? please stop justifying the murders. for every murder you justify, the blood of the innocent will be on your hands. period!

To your questions, i take it that you are either ignorant or you choose to be. You contradict yourself further with the post above this one (your response to the other guy) but at least i am happy that you are beginning to make sense. You claim that the plan had been perfected before the elections right? so why hinge it on the elections? The issue is not the elections and not with Buhari, the northerners feel it is their right and turn to rule nigeria as had been handed to the by PDP. So even if it was an ordinary Onions-selling aboki that contested, what is happening would have also happened cos as you rightly put it, it had been perfected and they waited for the election period to unleash mayhem to the southerners. This is a south/north issue, a xtian/muslim issue and not Buhari issue, that is what i am trying to put into your head but it seems so difficult to do. The solution is, let all southerners come back if possible, let's see who they will now kil and if they will bring their jihad to the south, or in the worst case, let Nigeria be divided!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by maclatunji: 1:19pm On Apr 27, 2011
Hold on a second, are you GEJ fan club members suggesting that Northern Nigeria is not a part of Nigeria and that President Jonathan is only the President of Southern Nigeria? BTW he suggested it once on his Facebook page and I gave him a thorough word-lashing.

Just admit a failure of the relevant authority and we can begin to make progress. If you continue on this heedless path you will only make the situation worse. The President of a country (especially one as big as Nigeria) does not throw words about (he should leave that to people like me). He takes decisive action always and expects to be held accountable for such actions. Quit being weenie supporters of a weenie-looking government already!  Even if the government wants to be weak it is up to we the people to be strong and push them to work. Instead of all of these pathetic excuses you guys are giving!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by virgo(f): 1:27pm On Apr 27, 2011
maclatunji:

Hold on a second, are you GEJ fan club members suggesting that Northern Nigeria is not a part of Nigeria and that President Jonathan is only the President of Southern Nigeria? BTW he suggested it once on his Facebook page and I gave him a thorough word-lashing.

Just admit a failure of the relevant authority and we can begin to make progress. If you continue on this heedless path you will only make the situation worse. The President of a country (especially one as big as Nigeria) does not throw words about (he should leave that to people like me). He takes decisive action always and expects to be held accountable for such actions. Quit being weenie supporters of a weenie-looking government already!  Even if the government wants to be weak it is up to we the people to be strong and push them to work. Instead of all of this pathetic excuses you guys are giving!

It is actually more complicated than that. I have always berated Jonathan's government for its slow response to serious situations that needed quick action, but these past few weeks has exposed the tricks of the Northern elite. I doubt very much that I care to see more Southerners slaughtered in the name of keeping the country together. I used to have so much hope for Nigeria. Many who know me or have read one of my articles "A country on life support" published in the Guardian Newspaper in December 2009 where I more or less foamed at the mouth at the CIA prediction of Nigeria's break up in 2015, know that I have always been for one Nigeria. I even concluded that article by stating proudly that we were on course as a nation. However, with the selfishness of the Northern elites and their promise to make the country ungovernable for Jonathan should he get elected as president, I regret my former stand, and I advocate for the break up of Nigeria if possible.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by maclatunji: 1:36pm On Apr 27, 2011
virgo:

It is actually more complicated than that. I have always berated Jonathan's government for its slow response to serious situations that needed quick action, but these past few weeks has exposed the tricks of the Northern elite. I doubt very much that I care to see more Southerners slaughtered in the name of keeping the country together. I used to have so much hope for Nigeria. Many who know me or have read one of my articles "A country on life support" published in the Guardian Newspaper in December 2009 where I more or less foamed at the mouth at the CIA prediction of Nigeria's break up in 2015, know that I have always been for one Nigeria. I even concluded that article by stating proudly that we were on course as a nation. However, with the selfishness of the Northern elites and their promise to make the country ungovernable for Jonathan should he get elected as president, I regret my former stand, and I advocate for the break up of Nigeria if possible.

The conscience is an open wound, only truth can heal it- Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio

The President knows what to do, he should have the courage to do it after fully understanding the statement above.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by virgo(f): 1:51pm On Apr 27, 2011
maclatunji:

The conscience is an open wound, only truth can heal it- Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio

The President knows what to do, he should have the courage to do it after fully understanding the statement above.

In the same vein, the elites of the North also need to examine their conscience as well, and also have the courage to stand for the truth. The burden not only rests on Jonathan shoulders. They all should be able to tell the Nigerian people what truth they are hiding behind without the need to continue using innocent humans as pawns for their silly games because the voices of the people are rising up to demand a change from the status quo. One more mistake and the leaders won't be able to rein in their followers. Each section will promote its own ideologies, the resultant end is an unavoidable split. That is all I have to say on the matter. Thank you!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by lastpage: 2:39pm On Apr 27, 2011
Gosshhh! angry
Too many infantile imbeciles on Nairaland! angry angry
These scumbags are always ready to "blame GEJ" for anything, even when they fart from their mouths! shocked
How can someone with a shred of brain-matter be "putting the Cart before the Horse", just to justify their hatred for GEJ and PDP?

Make no mistake, "in the larger scheme of things", the buck stops on the President's table. He takes (and is expected to take) responsibility for any "systemic failures or success", even if he was only remotely connected to it! That is called LEADERSHIP!

But let us be honest for once: Let us take the "Nigerian environment" into CONTEXT before heaping blames on him.

For those "mouthing-off" about how security is managed overseas, ask yourself: DO WE HAVE THE SAME KIND OF INFRASTRUCTURE AND PERSONNEL" AVAILABLE TO THE PRESIDENT OF THOSE COUNTRIES?

For example:
1.) Take power and internet: A lot of intelligence is leveraged on the internet. The FBI/CIA is "all the time" straining our E-mails and tapping our phone calls, sifting for intelligence that would lead them to the next 'security breach". They have the "Mega Computers Servers", they have the Internet Bandwidth, they have the constant Power Supply, to do these things. Even more, they have the "TRAINED PERSONNEL" who are 100% loyal to their country and their country's values, to do it! Not loyal to one "ethnic tribe" (as you can see in the case of Policemen and NYSC Directors in the North who neglected and exposed those Corper who are running for dear life, back to the hoodlums! That wont ever happen from an American Marine/ FBI or Policeman!)

2.)In Nigeria, allegiance is less to our "National Flag or President" but more to each individual tribe and region. This means even when the President "delegates" security intelligence to "concerned officers", he cannot guarantee they would do the right thing when the challenges occur! And how many will he sack before we start alleging "Ethnic cleansing" or have you not heard of that before?

Put Simply, our "security infrastructures" are not yet adequate and evolved enough" to deal with the kind of madness we are talking about. Let us limit what we can achieve to what tools we have.
The greatest tool we have right now (which is not been deployed by those in position to influence these Almajeris) is their "Regional Leaders". They know these leaders, they respect some of them and would listen to them. If "Leaders" like Buhari, IBB, Sultans, Emir and Imams have gone on T.V and Radio (BBC Sharia for example grin ) and told "their children" in plain Huasa language to respect the life of everyone, especially Corpers and non-natives, if they had told them that the alleged Rigging will be challenged ONLY in the courts and not by burning people alive, they could at least have positively impacted the madness!

But what we have are criminal-minded leaders whose only comment is to "justify the killings" by saying it was instigated because people PDP rigged! PLEASE.,., PLEASE, "you drive-away the fox first, before coming back to scold the chicken on the wisdom of straying in the open field, right"?
There is an "appropriate time for everything"!
When OBJ unleashed the military might on ODI townships, we all concluded that it was an "over-kill". If GEJ has just unleashed the same millitary force on the Northern states (bear in mind these recent killings has serious tribal and religious roots), then it would simply have  made things worse because it will give an excuse for some dunce tribal leaders to turn it into a full-scale tribal war! One they have been preparing for but that others might not be ready for, at this material time moreover, why must it be "war" when a S-Southerner wins an election? Why not when Yar Adua was rigged-in in 2007? Go figure. wink

I dont like PDP, GEJ or most Politicians for that matter but even idiotic posters on Nairaland are not giving the President the deserved credit.
He is not a magician and cannot completely erase the rot of Nigeria in one year! Even Obama has not turned everything around in America, in the last 3years, how much more in Nigeria where "almost nothing works"? Its good to blame the President (at least he will sit-up more) but dont lets make him a deliberate scape-goat by ignoring the truth. Some are so mischievous that they are just waiting for GEJ to have a "major mis-step" or want an opportunity to "push/goad him" into taking rash actions, so they can say:  "Eehhn, did we not tell you?"!
All the same, when "the heat and emotions are down", l hope he will conduct a thorough investigation and expose/jail those master-minding this rascality in our polity. In his time, of course.
Nigeria's security intelligence apparatus ( a reflection of our daily life) also needs to be upgraded, fine-tuned and staffed with qualified and pro-active people. It should not be made a center of "political appointment or quota system", off-loaded with "average or below level" citizens, like our Police Service.

Some issues are more delicate and volatile than others.

One thing l have realized on NlLand is that "most commentators" here (not all certainly) are half-illiterate, un-informed ignoramus, plain mischievous, too hateful and tribalistic to see, recognize or even articulate the truth, sensibly! (Now, you can abuse me if you belong to that category, you have the right! grin I ont want to mention handles,,,hehehe grin ) Unfortunately, there is a sister website where people with "recognizable intellect" argue and discuss national issues. I am sure not up to 10% of people here-in can "put-up" an intelligent write-up worthy of publication in a place like Nig.Village. Square or Sahara Reporters,  and put their name on it. Pat Utomi does,  Levi Obiojorfor, Reuben Abatti, Wole Soyinka, Terver Atsar, Sinola Oluhemse, Okey Ndibe, Aliyu Tilde, just to mention a tiny fraction! How many of these kind of people will write the kind of trash that some irritant write over here[b] or is this place now the equivalent of "Ovation Magazine/ Ikebe Super" when it comes to measuring standards?[/b] Shioooo!!

Anyway, everything get level sha. No beef.
Cheers.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by maclatunji: 2:43pm On Apr 27, 2011
lastpage:

Gosshhh! angry
Too many infantile imbeciles on Nairaland! angry angry
These scumbags are always ready to "blame GEJ" for anything, even when they fart from their mouths! shocked
How can someone with a shred of brain-matter be "putting the Cart before the Horse", just to justify their hatred for GEJ and PDP?

Make no mistake, "in the larger scheme of things", the buck stops on the President's table. He takes (and is expected to take) responsibility for any "systemic failures or success", even if he was only remotely connected to it! That is called LEADERSHIP!

But let us be honest for once: Let us take the "Nigerian environment" into CONTEXT before heaping blames on him.

For those "mouthing-off" about how security is managed overseas, ask yourself: DO WE HAVE THE SAME KIND OF INFRASTRUCTURE AND PERSONNEL" AVAILABLE TO THE PRESIDENT OF THOSE COUNTRIES?

For example:
1.) Take power and internet: A lot of intelligence is leveraged on the internet. The FBI/CIA is "all the time" straining our E-mails and tapping our phone calls, sifting for intelligence that would lead them to the next 'security breach". They have the "Mega Computers Servers", they have the Internet Bandwidth, they have the constant Power Supply, to do these things. Even more, they have the "TRAINED PERSONNEL" who are 100% loyal to their country and their country's values, to do it! Not loyal to one "ethnic tribe" (as you can see in the case of Policemen and NYSC Directors in the North who neglected and exposed those Corper who are running for dear life, back to the hoodlums! That wont ever happen from an American Marine/ FBI or Policeman!)

2.)In Nigeria, allegiance is less to our "National Flag or President" but more to each individual tribe and region. This means even when the President "delegates" security intelligence to "concerned officers", he cannot guarantee they would do the right thing when the challenges occur! And how many will he sack before we start alleging "Ethnic cleansing" or have you not heard of that before?

Put Simply, our "security infrastructures" are not yet adequate and evolved enough" to deal with the kind of madness we are talking about. Let us limit what we can achieve to what tools we have.
The greatest tool we have right now (which is not been deployed by those in position to influence these Almajeris) is their "Regional Leaders". They know these leaders, they respect some of them and would listen to them. If "Leaders" like Buhari, IBB, Sultans, Emir and Imams have gone on T.V and Radio (BBC Sharia for example grin ) and told "their children" in plain Huasa language to respect the life of everyone, especially Corpers and non-natives, if they had told them that the alleged Rigging will be challenged ONLY in the courts and not by burning people alive, they could at least have positively impacted the madness!

But what we have are criminal-minded leaders whose only comment is to "justify the killings" by saying it was instigated because people PDP rigged! PLEASE.,., PLEASE, "you drive-away the fox first, before coming back to scold the chicken on the wisdom of straying in the open field, right"?
There is an "appropriate time for everything"!
When OBJ unleashed the military might on ODI townships, we all concluded that it was an "over-kill". If GEJ has just unleashed the same millitary force on the Northern states (bear in mind these recent killings has serious tribal and religious roots), then it would simply have  made things worse because it will give an excuse for some dunce tribal leaders to turn it into a full-scale tribal war! One they have been preparing for but that others might not be ready for, at this material time moreover, why must it be "war" when a S-Southerner wins an election? Why not when Yar Adua was rigged-in in 2007? Go figure. wink

I dont like PDP, GEJ or most Politicians for that matter but even idiotic posters on Nairaland are not giving the President the deserved credit.
He is not a magician and cannot completely erase the rot of Nigeria in one year! Even Obama has not turned everything around in America, in the last 3years, how much more in Nigeria where "almost nothing works"? Its good to blame the President (at least he will sit-up more) but dont lets make him a deliberate scape-goat by ignoring the truth. Some are so mischievous that they are just waiting for GEJ to have a "major mis-step" or want an opportunity to "push/goad him" into taking rash actions, so they can say:  "Eehhn, did we not tell you?"!
All the same, when "the heat and emotions are down", l hope he will conduct a thorough investigation and expose/jail those master-minding this rascality in our polity. In his time, of course.
Nigeria's security intelligence apparatus ( a reflection of our daily life) also needs to be upgraded, fine-tuned and staffed with qualified and pro-active people. It should not be made a center of "political appointment or quota system", off-loaded with "average or below level" citizens, like our Police Service.

Some issues are more delicate and volatile than others.

One thing l have realized on NlLand is that "most commentators" here (not all certainly) are half-illiterate, un-informed ignoramus, plain mischievous, too hateful and tribalistic to see, recognize or even articulate the truth, sensibly! (Now, you can abuse me if you belong to that category, you have the right! grin I ont want to mention handles,,,hehehe  grin ) Unfortunately, there is a sister website where people with "recognizable intellect" argue and discuss national issues. I am sure not up to 10% of people here-in can "put-up" an intelligent write-up worthy of publication in a place like Nig.Village. Square or Sahara Reporters,  and put their name on it. Pat Utomi does,  Levi Obiojorfor, Reuben Abatti, Wole Soyinka, Terver Atsar, Sinola Oluhemse, Okey Ndibe, Aliyu Tilde, just to mention a tiny fraction! How many of these kind of people will write the kind of trash that some irritant write over here[b] or is this place now the equivalent of "Ovation Magazine/ Ikebe Super" when it comes to measuring standards?[/b] Shioooo!!

Anyway, everything get level sha. No beef.
Cheers.

So you typed all that just to prove to us that Nigerians are not normal people. Hence, we need not hold our leaders responsible when they fail. Una do well O. Carry go, nothing do you at all.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Kobojunkie: 2:58pm On Apr 27, 2011
edicolove:

What part of the english language dont you understand. I said the murderers were killing people and shouting "sai Buhari" as they murdered their victims. You can read the story of the brave patriotic northerner again and open your eyes this time. How can you say the violence had nothing to do with the elections?

1. Was there any violence like that in the north b4 the elections? Jos crisis was a tribal one. Did you not see the difference between that and this one?
2. Did the almajiris that were arrested not say that they did what they did because of the "purported rigging"
3. If is was not about elections, will they have attacked northerners who were members of PDP? have you ever seen a riot where the northerners attacked their own leaders b4?

what are you talking about? please stop justifying the murders. for every murder you justify, the blood of the innocent will be on your hands. period!

Please use a dictionary when in doubt . . . . Violence, of any kind of that magnitude is violence. Stop moving the goal posts please . . . we are talking of the lives and security of people all over that country today still. It is 12 years since this type of violence became regular place in Nigeria. Stop pretending each time that something brand new dropped from the sky on you out of nowhere.

Funny how the rest of the world already seens the pattern to these things but we, the Nigerian people, try to pretend each time that it has never happened before,and we try to RE-DEFINE it all in our own foolish ways.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Olamlag(m): 3:25pm On Apr 27, 2011
May be its time 4 transformation in our country, seeing d way people ar änxious tö vote and belivin dat dia vote wil count. Yet some people dont wanna move on dey want 2 b stuck 2 d past politics of violence, snachting of ballot box e.t.c. y dont u people wanna accept it dat change as come. Some even saw d proces of election as free and fair with dia eyes but dey dont wanna biliv it b'cos dey ar stuck 2 d formal. PLS Its time 4 us 2 move on äs country 2 our glory.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Olamlag(m): 3:27pm On Apr 27, 2011
May be its time 4 transformation in our country, seeing d way people ar änxious tö vote and belivin dat dia vote wil count. Yet some people dont wanna move on dey want 2 b stuck 2 d past politics of violence, snachting of ballot box e.t.c. y dont u people wanna accept it dat change as come. Some even saw d proces of election as free and fair with dia eyes but dey dont wanna biliv it b'cos dey ar stuck 2 d formal. PLS Its time 4 us 2 move on äs country 2 our glory.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by lynxnoon(m): 3:33pm On Apr 27, 2011
can someone please tell me the outcome of d few arrests made?
so who are the likely perpetrators and 'big wigs' behind all these? angry angry
the SSS can't tell me dey don't have info on all potential threats in dat region!!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by maclatunji: 4:00pm On Apr 27, 2011
lynxnoon:

can someone please tell me the outcome of d few arrests made?
so who are the likely perpetrators and 'big wigs' behind all these? angry angry
the SSS can't tell me dey don't have info on all potential threats in dat region!!

That is what they are telling us now. What else do you think it is!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by okunoba(m): 4:22pm On Apr 27, 2011
@fxtopedia, You are a very bad loser, Just because Buhari lost you now wish Nigeria bad luck. Nigeria is more than Buhari. If you cared just a little bit for our country you will be wishing the country good luck to progressive, regardless of who won the presidential election. Does it hurt that bad to wish Nigeria good luck.
It seems like it`s all about winning for you, Mr selfish.  If you were a good sport you will be saying Goodluck to Nigeria even though Usman Danfodio Buhari lost. Sorry to disappoint you, but @Virgo will always flow you in a debate, cause she`s not governed by emotions but by logic.    

Getting back to the topic, Sai Buhari is to blame for inciting violence. When the IRA were bombing London in the 80s and 90s the British government was powerless to stop it, even though they have one of the best security system in the World, America with all it`s military might have not been able to stop the bombings in Iraq. If the most powerful countries in the World can`t stop these sort of violence, we can`t expect a week country like Nigeria to do better.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Arosa(m): 4:34pm On Apr 27, 2011
okunoba:

Getting back to the topic, Sai Buhari is to blame for inciting violence. When the IRA were bombing London in the 80s and 90s the British government was powerless to stop it, even though they have one of the best security system in the World, America with all it`s military might have not being able to stop the bombings in Iraq. If the most powerful countries in the World can`t stop these sort of violence, we can`t expect a week country like Nigeria to do better.  

You have said the truth and nothing but the truth. So God will bless you for your wisdom.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by lynxnoon(m): 4:46pm On Apr 27, 2011
maclatunji:

That is what they are telling us now. What else do you think it is!
plssss. . . .i dnt beliv dat 'bull' . . . . . d ordinary citizen knw likely persons to be behind dis talk less of d SSS
Abegi!!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by nagoma(m): 5:51pm On Apr 27, 2011
Whoever wants to destroy the country has got us where they wanted. We really hate ourselves. I dont mind separation at all.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by lynxnoon(m): 6:26pm On Apr 27, 2011
nagoma:

Whoever wants to destroy the country has got us where they wanted. We really hate ourselves. I dont mind separation at all.
my guy, that wont help at all!! undecided
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by lastpage: 7:19pm On Apr 27, 2011
@maclatunji
So you typed all that just to prove to us that Nigerians are not normal people. Hence, we need not hold our leaders responsible when they fail. Una do well O. Carry go, nothing do you at all.
Hmmmmmm.,.,., so this is all you could garner and understand, from that full page of commentary?

Geez, our educational standards needs a complete overhaul, walahi!

Anyway, its a "very positive reinforcement" of some of the things stated in the commentary!

Carry-gooooo, Go-on soun, na u biiko
kiss kiss

BTW: I have earlier said it that "a few of them" will come and abuse me, in return! Hehehehee grin grin
I just dey laugh! grin grin
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by dayokanu(m): 7:41pm On Apr 27, 2011
Election violence in Delta State, Buharis Almajiris at it again

or who is to balme this time around?
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by ikposhijnr: 10:16pm On Apr 27, 2011
Lol, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Can the Moderator of this wonderful website add the "i like this comment thumb up", for a 1 touch click to laughter on this forum.
Am loving the comments.
I
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by tonyzaks: 11:14pm On Apr 27, 2011
pro01:

Impeccable reasoning, flawless points. I'm just repulsed at how some folks keep glossing over the real issue and prefer to blame government. The fundamental question anyof these retards should silence me forever by answering is: why ALWAYS the north? Ethno-religious/sectarian violence is EXCLUSIVELY a northern phenomenon, why so? Why not focus attention to this fact FIRST before glibly attempting to be clever by half by blaming GEJ or the federal government. For several decades the northern muslims have kept attacking southerners and Christians at the slightest provocation. Question is: WHY? Does that not suggest that something must be FUNDAMENTALLY wrong with them? WHY NOT ADDRESS THIS ANOMALY. . .rather than adopting the hypocritically deceitful and simplistic view that it is government's responsibility to protect lives and property! Gosh, my blood boils at such sophistry.

then who is goin to address the anomaly you speak of? is it not the govt?
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by tonyzaks: 11:28pm On Apr 27, 2011
i think is high time the government recognize the role malams and pastor as public mentors.
whether we like or not, say it or don't, not everybody have access to governmental institutions like the local govt. chairmen,
commissioners, governors or the president. the ones people turn to in terms of counseling, soothing, or whatever are the pastors & the malams they always come in handy people have direct access to them every-time all the time.
unfortunately government only seek their services when nerves needed be calmed, and that is exploitation.
if this could be realized, government will be able to be checked, monitored & educate them based on the rules of the land and in return cater for their needs.
government is not a profit organization but rather render services to the society.
after all they are part and parcel of the society, 'what belongs to nobody, belongs to everybody'. ignoring them won't solve the issue, eradicating them is impossible.
i believe there is always a proper way to handle even the most evil of all.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 8:07am On Apr 28, 2011
tonyzaks:

then who is goin to address the anomaly you speak of? is it not the govt?

Nope. The government can only send in anti-riot policemen and perhaps soldiers to quell riots and everything would seemingly return to normal. . .only for the northern Muslims' madness to erupt all over again at an indeterminate future date. . .and then government would send in law enforcement units again, and so we would continue in this vicious cycle.

What does that suggest? It suggests that government cannot cure madness permanently; it can only bundle the mad people off the streets. . .it cannot guarantee that they will not return to the streets at a later date. Which is why the northerners THEMSELVES must bear responsibility for civilizing themselves and curing their insanity. The rest of the country cannot keep tolerating or glossing over their compulsive and repetitive violent idiocy in the name of national unity.

In any case, I want discussants to focus attention on the fact that it is ONLY in the north that these kinds of ethic/religious violence occurs. The intellectual discussion I want to see is that which focuses on the great question: WHY? You people should apply your intellects in arguing why this is the case, instead of simply glossing over that fundamental fact and chasing shadows by blaming the government. The government does not have the power to put love and tolerance in the hearts of the fanatics that populate the north. And to that extent, government cannot PREVENT them from pouring into the streets like locusts in search of Christians and southerners to massacre. We must not forget that these things happen ever so often (at least once a year); we should not consider the present instance of anti-Christian/South violence in isolation, indeed it should not even be considered a genuine post election violence, were it so - Christians and southerners would not have been targeted for attacks; rather, ONLY government and PDP figures would have been targeted. The fact is that history has repeatedly shown that these northern muslims are so hateful and intolerant of Christians and southerners - and worse still, this hate and intolerance is often manifested in destructive violence TARGETED at southerns/Christians. Why is such violent intolerance an exclusively northern-muslim phenomenon? [I NEED ANSWERS TO THIS!] Have you ever heard of southern Christians suddenly attacking Hausas or muslims say, for example, in Oyo state or in Enugu state? Is it that Oyo and Enugu states (for instance) do not also suffer the effects of bad governance, or have poor, illiterate, idle and hopeless youths (since that is the idiotic excuse used to rationalize the actions of those northern-muslim beasts)? Why only the north? I would appreciate it if the 'intellectual warriors' here on NL and elsewhere address that fact in their analysis, rather than putting the cart before the horse by blaming government.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by maclatunji: 8:22am On Apr 28, 2011
pro01:

Nope. The government can only send in anti-riot policemen and perhaps soldiers to quell riots and everything would seemingly return to normal. . .only for the northern Muslims' madness to erupt all over again at an indeterminate future date. . .and then government would send in law enforcement units again, and so we would continue in this vicious cycle.

What does that suggest? It suggests that government cannot cure madness permanently; it can only bundle the mad people off the streets. . .it cannot guarantee that they will not return to the streets at a later date. Which is why the northerners THEMSELVES must bear responsibility for civilizing themselves and curing their insanity. The rest of the country cannot keep tolerating or glossing over their compulsive and repetitive violent idiocy in the name of national unity.

In any case, I want discussants to focus attention on the fact that it is ONLY in the north that these kinds of ethic/religious violence occurs. The intellectual discussion I want to see is that which focuses on the great question: WHY? You people should apply your intellects in arguing why this is the case, instead of simply glossing over that fundamental fact and chasing shadows by blaming the government. [b]The government does not have the power to put love and tolerance in the hearts of the fanatics that populate the north. [/b]And to that extent, government cannot PREVENT them from pouring into the streets like locusts in search of Christians and southerners to massacre. We must not forget that these things happen ever so often (at least once a year); we should not consider the present instance of anti-Christian/South violence in isolation, indeed it should not even be considered a genuine post election violence, were it so - Christians and southerners would not have been targeted for attacks; rather, ONLY government and PDP figures would be have been targeted. The fact is that northen muslims are so hateful and intolerant - and worse still this hate and intolerance is often manifested in destructive violence. Why is it an exclusively northern/muslim phenomenon? Have you ever heard of southern Christians suddenly attacking Hausas or muslims say, for example, in Oyo state or in Enugu state? Is it that Oyo and Enugu states (for instance) do not also have poor, illiterate, idle and hopeless youths (since that is the idiotic excuse used to rationalize the actions of those norther muslim beasts)? Why only the north? I would appreciate it if the 'intellectual warriors' here on NL and elsewhere address that fact in their analysis, rather than putting the cart before the horse by blaming government.

At the bolded, who said anything about them loving non-Hausas or non-Muslims.  What they need is a deterrent factor. Last time I checked, murder is a crime punishable by death under our laws. Over the last 12 years that violence has been recurring in the north, how many of the people that have committed such crimes have been prosecuted and sentenced at a fair trial and the appropriate punishment enforced? The answer is next-to-zero. You see what you lily-livered government apologists do not understand is that there can be no peace where there is no justice. Justice must be done and must be seen to be done by all to the victims and even perpetrators of crimes.

So, for as long as we do not have justice and peace, we will continue to blame the government with Number 1 getting a larger share of the blame, much in the same way he would get credit if things go well.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by hollandis(f): 8:30am On Apr 28, 2011
Emirs incited the people.Buhari initiated the violence
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Arosa(m): 10:04am On Apr 28, 2011
hollandis:

Emirs/radical imams incited the people.Buhari initiated the violence
Simple as ABC, there is no need to write a thesis on this topic. angry
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by maclatunji: 10:24am On Apr 28, 2011
Arosa:

Simple as ABC, there is no need to write a thesis on this topic. angry

Brilliant so the violence can continue if they deem it fit. So much for your great HUMANITARIAN SPIRIT!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by obaf(m): 10:52am On Apr 28, 2011
GOODLUCK EBELE JONATHAN IS TO BE BLAMED FOR THE RIOT.

REASONS:
1: WHEN GEJ STOLE NORTHERN TERM, AND DENIED THAT THERE'S NOTHING LIKE ROTATION, THE GRUDGE BEGINNED!!!, WHEN NORTHERNERS LOST IN PRIMARIES, THEY WERE ONLY WAITING TO SEE WHAT WILL HAPPENED AT THE END.

2. OBJ CAME OUT AT THE LAST CAMPAIGN OF GEJ THAT THERE'S ROTATION, THEY ONLY PUT IT ASIDE BECAUSE OF GEJ, IMMEDIATELY AFTER GEJ, THEY WILL RESTORE IT.

3. IF GEJ HAD BEEN WORKING AND NOT CAMPAIGNING EVERYWHERE, STEP OUT FOR NORTHERN CANDIDATE FOR THEM TO FINISH THEIR TERM, THEN COME BACK BY 2015, THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN PEACE EVERY WHERE.

4. WHEN BUHARI BECAME POPLULAR, THE NORTHERNS THEN APPROACHED HIM LAST MINUTE REMEMBER, SO THAT HE WILL REPRESENT THE NORTH, THEY DIDNT WANT TO NEGOTIATE WITH HIM AT FIRST.

5. GEJ KNEW ALL THESE, HE DIDNT PUT ANY SECURITY CHECK ON SPOT!!!

6. AFTER THE RIOT STARTEWD, WHAT DID GEJ DO? HE WAS HAVING PARTY IN BAYELSA, WHILE PEOPLE THAT VOTED FOR HIM IN THE NORTH ARE SUFFERING AND SLEEPING IN THE BARRACKS. INSTEAD OF GEJ TO QUICKLY PROVIDE SHELTER, FOOD AND OTHER SECURITIES TO THIS PEOPLE. MAKE THEM HAPPY BECAUSE THEY VOTED FOR HIM.

7. I AM NOT A NORTHERNER, BUT IN A GAME ITS ALWAYS GOOD TO BE FAIR, AND KEEP TO YOUR WORDS. GEJ DOESNT KEEP AGREEMENT.

8. ITS A PITY PEOPLE SEEMS TO BE PUSHED TO BELIEVE BUHARI WAS THE CAUSE OF ALL THESE PROBLEMS. VERY SOON NIGERIA WILL OPEN THEIR EYES AND SEE WHAT ERROR THEY'VE COMMITED.

GOODLUCK TO YOU
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by AChigozie1(f): 12:59pm On Apr 28, 2011
To answer the Op's question:

As an outsider looking in, I say the actual perpetrators of the violence are to blame, as well as the leaders of such people.  Anyone who doesn't repudiate violence, especially the mass murder of innocent people is NOT fit to lead their own  household, let alone an entire nation.   

When Bush and the right wing Supreme Court stole the election in 2000, there was no rioting or killing of people.  I remember remarking, that had the same incident happen in Africa, someone would be dead.  I'm ashamed to admit it now, but I made those remarks sorta admiringly.  embarassed   I was simply trying to demonstrate the seriousness of which many Africans take their elections, however true the statement may be, I should have NEVER been so flippant in discussing political violence.

Have there been any arrests made?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why The Agitation For Biafra Must Cease Immediately / FG Distributes 300,000 Hybrid Cocoa Seedlings To Farmers / Former Speaker, Imam, 3000 APC Members Defect To PDP In Kogi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 135
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.