Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,616 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:15 PM

Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba (17854 Views)

Obasanjo, Tinubu Not Yoruba Leaders – Afenifere / Attention: Ward 022, Ejigbo Lagos Is Being Rigged / Bob Izua (a Benin High Chief) Has Been Kidnapped! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by komando77(m): 6:21pm On Apr 25, 2011
Even SoutWest governors know this. That is why Lagos State is not in Oodua Group. Oter SouthWest states are there.
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by Afam4eva(m): 6:23pm On Apr 25, 2011
Abeg forget all this lagos talk and let's focus on how to move Nigeria forward. Some people that are shouting Lagos is is this, lagos is that have not benefitted anything from the opportunities that lagos offers. They just sit somewhere praying and hoping that one day the so called non-indigenes will leave their property for their lazy assses.

2 Likes

Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by Nobody: 6:25pm On Apr 25, 2011
komando77:

Even SoutWest governors know this. That is why Lagos State is not in Oodua Group. Oter SouthWest states are there.

na only oodua group?

oodua people's congress nko.
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by EkoIle1: 6:26pm On Apr 25, 2011
Eko Ile's new NL policy-

Do not respond to NL TROLLS or feed them in anyway shape or form.

Use your best judgment, avoid the trolls by any means necessary,
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by seanet03: 6:26pm On Apr 25, 2011
komando77:

That is why you have always been a Mor0n!! the reason why Lagos was not in the Odua Group was because as at the Time Odua Group was Formed, Lagos was the FCT and did not contribute to the Funding.
Stop running your mouth like a leaking tap. Mind the Gully erosion that is about to wiped the East of the Niger
Olodo

3 Likes

Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by komando77(m): 6:33pm On Apr 25, 2011
@ seanet, Eko is a Benin word. The name Lagos was given to Eko by the Portugese. Even Yoruba nationalists will tell you that Lagos is Aworiland.
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by ektbear: 6:36pm On Apr 25, 2011
It depends on what you mean. It was conquered militarily by the Benin Empire, and paid tribute up until the 1850s or so. Other groups in the area did too (Ijebu being just one of them.)

But the original inhabitants were Yoruba (Awori).

A bit of history: http://www.jstor.org/pss/181898
The abstract:

Abstract
The rise of Lagos, which became the principal port of the 'Slave Coast' at the end of the eighteenth century, can only be understood by reference to the interaction between the European Atlantic trade and the indigenous canoe-borne trade along the coastal lagoons. European traders in the sixteenth century used the Lagos channel and the lagoon to approach the Ijebu kingdom, where slaves and cloth were purchased, but this trade lapsed in the seventeenth century. The Lagos settlement originated as a fishing hamlet, but was occupied as a military base by Benin around the end of the sixteenth century. Benin expansion to the west may have been designed to prevent European trade with Ijebu, in the interests of a Benin monopoly. Lagos remained formally subject to Benin until the nineteenth century, but the decline of Benin power in the eighteenth century left it effectively independent. European sources of the seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries attest trade in cloth and slaves passing along the lagoons through Lagos to Allada and Whydah in the west. Although this pattern of trade has been assumed to date back to pre-European times, it was more probably a consequence of the European presence, and more specifically of the westward drift of European interest along the coast from Benin after the sixteenth century. European traders began to show an active interest in the lagoon trade to the east of Allada in the early eighteenth century, and again began to explore the possibility of using the Lagos channel to approach the inland lagoons. Lagos developed as an Atlantic port from the 1760s, exporting slaves and Ijebu cloth, but its importance was limited by its remoteness from any major source of slaves. Its emergence as a major port in the late eighteenth century was due to the disruption of slave shipments from ports further west by military pressure from Dahomey, which led to the diversion of slave supplies eastward along the lagoons for shipment from Lagos.

2 Likes

Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by seanet03: 6:37pm On Apr 25, 2011
komando77:

@ seanet, Eko is a Benin word. The name Lagos was given to Eko by the Portugese. Even Yoruba nationalists will tell you that Lagos is Aworiland.
which one do we believe Lagos is Aworiland or Lagos is Benin Town?
i think i go for the bolded because last time i checkec though Lagos is inhabited by Benins and the Governor of Lagos is Adams oshiomole!!
You are a Dimwit

angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by ektbear: 6:39pm On Apr 25, 2011
Even my own Ekiti supposedly paid tribute to the Benin up until late in the 19th century, from what I heard. Yet I don't think anyone would say Ekitiland is a Benin state, or something

1 Like

Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by EzeUche3(m): 6:43pm On Apr 25, 2011
OP - Who cares? An Igboman should not care, because we have no clcaim.
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by 2mch(m): 6:43pm On Apr 25, 2011
I wonder why people keep coming up with this nonsense. How can Lagos be a benin place? Very ridiculous. From your logic,  Africa must be british and you are a non indigene as a result. Please stop displaying your stupidity. slowpoke.

1 Like

Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by komando77(m): 6:48pm On Apr 25, 2011
@ Ekt_bear,
My point exactly. The Lagosians of today contain remnants of the Benin warriors of old, and many see themselves as Awori, and not Yoruba.
@ seanet 03, point of corection, Lagos has never been a FCT. It has always been a state. Past governors include Buba Marwa, Lateef Jakande, etc. Abuja on the other hand has always been an FCT, and never a state. That is why Abuja has a minster, and not a state governor.
Even when Lagos was Nigeria's capital it always had a governor, not a minister.
Lagos did not join Oodua Group because the Yoruba nationalists regard it as Non Yoruba. The Oba of Benin knows this.
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by seanet03: 6:50pm On Apr 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

Even my own Ekiti supposedly paid tribute to the Benin up until late in the 19th century, from what I heard. Yet I don't think anyone would say Ekitiland is a Benin state, or something
Too bad!! My own Egba have never been conquered by Benin and remained one the very Yoruba people to ever defeat the Oyo Army and Dahomey Amazons. We are the first to have Independence in the whole of Nigeria complete with our own Anthem ( Lori oke at Petele) as far back 1893

http://alakeofegbaland.com/pages/alakehistory.html
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by Nobody: 6:51pm On Apr 25, 2011
komando

your knowledge of nigerian history is extremely faulty.

why not stick to taking out fstranger or why did you go on break.
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by ektbear: 6:54pm On Apr 25, 2011
seanet03:

Too bad!! My own Egba have never been conquered by Benin and remained one the very Yoruba people to ever defeat the Oyo Army and Dahomey Amazons. We are the first to have Independence in the whole of Nigeria complete with our own Anthem ( Lori oke at Petele) as far back 1893

[url=http://alakeofegbaland.com/pages/alakehistory.html[/b]]http://alakeofegbaland.com/pages/alakehistory.html[/url]

That is pretty cool. Is the anthem on Youtube? If not, one of ya'll should put it on there.
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by EzeUche3(m): 6:56pm On Apr 25, 2011
seanet03:

http://alakeofegbaland.com/pages/alakehistory.html

Your people would have been crushed by the powerful Aro Confederacy just like many Igbo, Ibibio, Idoma and Ekoi clans found out when they faced us in battle.  cool tongue Ha!
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by seanet03: 6:56pm On Apr 25, 2011
komando77:

@ Ekt_bear,
My point exactly. The Lagosians of today contain remnants of the Benin warriors of old, and many see themselves as Awori, and not Yoruba.
[s]@ seanet 03, point of corection, Lagos has never been a FCT. It has always been a state. [/s]Past governors include Buba Marwa, Lateef Jakande, etc. Abuja on the other hand has always been an FCT, and never a state. That is why Abuja has a minster, and not a state governor.
Lagos did not join Oodua Group because the Yoruba nationalists regard it as Non Yoruba. The Oba of Benin knows this.
Did you typed that or you are under drugs?
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by ektbear: 6:57pm On Apr 25, 2011
Relax your head tpiah!, he is just trolling grin

No point discussing with him, just point to legitimate papers that document the history, like the one I did.

You cannot waste your time exchanging words with trolls
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by komando77(m): 6:58pm On Apr 25, 2011
@ Ekt_Bear,
Yes, the Benin Empire subjugated Ekiti, but the hold was not as tight as the Benin old on Lagos.
Eko was under the rule of fishermen and warriors from Benin for a long time.
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by ektbear: 6:59pm On Apr 25, 2011
EzeUche__:

Your people would have been crushed by the powerful Aro Confederacy just like many Igbo, Ibibio, Idoma and Ekoi clans found out when they faced us in battle.  cool tongue Ha!

I wish that the Oyo empire hadn't decayed and fallen. In retrospect, it would have done us a lot of good to have conquered east. Your villages in the SE would have been ripe for conquest  undecided Not to mention the Niger Delta along the way.

Alas. . .
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by Nobody: 7:01pm On Apr 25, 2011
Too bad.

Yorubas came and conquered. Lagos equals Yorubaland.
Americans came and conquered. North America = Americans of European descent's land.

History is cruel. Get with the program. Una can cry till tomorrow, when Nigeria breaks, we take Lagos and all your lil Igbo/Ijaw petty businesses.
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by Nobody: 7:02pm On Apr 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

Relax your head tpiah!, he is just trolling grin

No point discussing with him, just point to legitimate papers that document the history, like the one I did.

You cannot waste your time exchanging words with trolls

not everybody will bother reading academic papers.

you sometimes have to respond in the exact same language as the poster, because many of the people reading his post are at the same comprehensive level.

did my reference to fstranger alarm you?

if he wan vex, make im vex nah.

no be today.

undecided
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by seanet03: 7:03pm On Apr 25, 2011
EzeUche__:

how are you gonna do that with this "Rock of Gibraltar"

Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by Nobody: 7:04pm On Apr 25, 2011
Yorubas came and conquered

yorubas own the territory.

they did not come and conquer anywhere.

benin had a couple of military outposts, end of. They were visitors simply trying to secure the slave routes and access to the sea.
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by ektbear: 7:06pm On Apr 25, 2011
tpiah!: Thanks for correcting ileke-idi.

You can take over on this thread now, i'm mostly done smiley
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by Nobody: 7:07pm On Apr 25, 2011
tpiah!:

yorubas own the territory.

they did not come and conquer anywhere.

benin had a couple of military outposts, end of. They were visitors simply trying to secure the slave routes and access to the sea.

Oh alright. I stand corrected.

People can continue to fear about what will happen to their business when Nigerian breaks. . . . Fear o, Lagos is Yorubaland.
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by EzeUche3(m): 7:09pm On Apr 25, 2011
Why are you all getting riled up? komando77 is only playing with you all. smiley
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by Jenifa1: 7:12pm On Apr 25, 2011
komando77:

@ Ekt_bear,
@ seanet 03, point of corection, Lagos has never been a FCT. It has always been a state. Past governors include Buba Marwa, Lateef Jakande, etc. Abuja on the other hand has always been an FCT, and never a state. That is why Abuja has a minster, and not a state governor.

so besides lagos, what other parts of SW Nigeria are benin towns? or is it just lagos you want to claim? lol
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by seanet03: 7:12pm On Apr 25, 2011
EzeUche__:

Why are you all getting riled up? komando77 is only playing with you all.  smiley
Cos Yorubas don't play with their Property. Komando should mind the Gully Erosion harassing the East!!
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by ektbear: 7:14pm On Apr 25, 2011
Most of Rivers state sef is not Igbo. It is historically Ijaw. But was stolen from them by Igbo migrants

PHC for example is Ijawland
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by ektbear: 7:15pm On Apr 25, 2011
Furthermore, any oil and gas resources too in the SE zone should be partitioned off and zoned to the SS, imo  grin
Re: Eko Ile, Lagos Is A Benin Town Not Yoruba by EzeUche3(m): 7:15pm On Apr 25, 2011
ekt_bear:

Most of Rivers state sef is not Igbo. It is historically Ijaw. But was stolen from them by Igbo migrants

PHC for example is Ijawland

Now you know that's a damn lie. Do not derail this thread.

Ikwerre have always had a claim to that land.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari, Not Party, To Determine Osinbajo’s Fate, Says APC / Pictures From Swearing In Ceremony Of Atiku Bagudu In Kebbi State / Ajimobi-Led NWC to boycott Thursday's APC NEC Meeting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.