Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,943 members, 7,821,302 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station (33776 Views)

How I Was Scammed By A Dishonest Uber/Bolt Driver / Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station / Please What Can Make A Fuel Pump Not To Supply To Carburetor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by oseiwe(m): 6:07pm On May 06, 2021
This is Nigeria, seems you guys have not used 30ltrs to fill a 25ltrs gallon. embarassed

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Twoclans(f): 6:10pm On May 06, 2021
The gas industry is highly corrupt .Maybe because of their thin margins I dont know,you see that industry just forget them.They can't make heaven.

My organisation buys a minimum of 20,000 liters of diesel every two weeks yet it is a huge problem for us because every supplier always finds ways to cheat us of a minimum of 550,000 liters per supply.

We had to go ahead and calibrate all our storage tanks yet every time we need to take supplies na fight irrespective of the company supplying.

8 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by armadeo(m): 6:12pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:
I have been hearing of this scenario that plays out in fuel stations, but I didn’t know my day is coming.

What happened was the guy probably sold like 3 or 4k before you came and didnt reset the pump and pumped to 5k.

It's a normal runs but we all know and let them know before they start pumping.

17 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by pocohantas(f): 6:16pm On May 06, 2021
armadeo:

What happened was the guy probably sold like 3 or 4k before you came and didnt reset the pump and pumped to 5k.

So he did it intentionally? Alright then.

How do I know when they didn’t reset it?

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by olamide0147: 6:19pm On May 06, 2021
I'm waiting for the pump attendant to come here and post his side of the store because I'm sure he's a NL member. Poco be ready.
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by olamide0147: 6:21pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:

Yes he did it intentional so anytime you buying fuel always tell the attendant to reset pump

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Nicklaus619(m): 6:22pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:
I have been hearing of this scenario that plays out in fuel stations, but I didn’t know my day is coming.

They have used that trick on me before, and got stuck in traffic and my fuel finished in the middle of the road, chai, other angry commuters insult my life that dat embarassed
I had to role my car to a road side and used keke napep with gallon to go look for fuel, it was later I went back to the filling station and slapped the living day light outa the attendance, I choked him on the neck and was pressing it hard to make sure he barely breaths, before others came and separated us and he start to confess. angry

This is what they do, they press the nozzle to the end and hold it tight, the nozzle will be dispensing air instead of gas, and it will read like it's dispensing gas.

What u did is what I would have done if I was in your shoes and more cool

Make we see who go loose las las, idiots

19 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by descarado: 6:23pm On May 06, 2021
armadeo:

He did reset it.
They alter these pump numbers in the middle of the night.

It's jumping numbers in very high margin.

That has been in existence since.
When the regulatory body come without notice that's the first thing they go for, then you will roger on ground cos if they take you to office, more kpese.

Nigeria has gone to the dogs since

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by armadeo(m): 6:25pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:

Obviously. He pockets 3 to 4 k depending on what was already on the meter.

Its thier format. I actually wait let them even run the scam on me and tell them " guy I see am oh just do well" they just pump jn the balance.

Take note particularly if they start talking crap when they want to pump to distract you from the machine.

Lol. Dem jam who pass them. They guy is a thief.

9 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Omoluabi16(m): 6:35pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:

;
Sorry about the experience. I'd advise you go there asap tomorrow but NOT alone. Friends, if possible involve civil defence guys. We've heard stories.. people do no think these days. Those guys could easily spin the issue, escalate matter and make you seem like the culprit. I hope all goes well.

9 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by cococandy(f): 6:35pm On May 06, 2021
Why are we criminals like this? Nawa
You want to take people’s money and not give them the product they paid for? Evil.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by cococandy(f): 6:37pm On May 06, 2021
descarado:

He did reset it.
[lThey alter these pump numbers in the middle of the night.

When the regulatory body come without notice that's the first thing they go for, then you will roger on ground cos if they take you to office, more kpese.

For real? embarassed
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by pocohantas(f): 7:30pm On May 06, 2021
Nicklaus619:

They have used that trick on me before, and got stuck in traffic and my fuel finished in the middle of the road, chai, other angry commuters insult my life that dat embarassed
I had to role my car to a road side and used keke napep with gallon to go look for fuel, it was later I went back to the filling station and slapped the living day light outa the attendance, I choked him on the neck and was pressing it hard to make sure he barely breaths, before others came and separated us and he start to confess. angry

This is what they do, they press the nozzle to the end and hold it tight, the nozzle will be dispensing air instead of gas, and it will read like it's dispensing gas.

What u did is what I would have done if I was in your shoes and more cool

Make we see who go loose las las, idiots

They must lose wetin pass that 5k today. grin

Next tome when you tell them to sell fuel N1, them go sell am like that.
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by zabimaru: 8:03pm On May 06, 2021
Welcome to the club Poco
It's a normal thing these days so when you manage to find a gas station with better value for money, try to stick with them.

I have seen it all, from buying black market fuel at a gas station to buying fuel mixed with either kerosene/diesel to being scammed by putting air instead of fuel to not resetting the meter before adding the fuel.

Last scam was at NNPC gas station. Right before my very eyes, guy with a brand new 20ltrs keg bought fuel with meter reading above 24ltrs and the keg was just 3/4 full.
I still bought the little that'll take me to the office.

The most dramatic was at mobil awolowo way
The lady didn't reset the meter and started selling from 3k for a prepaid POS bill of 6k. I was in an suv, dressed very official with Suit, Tie and Starched shirt. Maybe that was what deceived her, she profiled me wrong.

when she was done, I calmly told her to add remaining fuel, this lady started insulting me, inviting her colleagues to come and help her out of the impending oppression. They came to her aid and were asking me silly questions. I simply alighted from the vehicle, removed my suit jacket, tie and Starched shirt and was in my white inner t-shirt.

I was ready to show them the definition of crazy.
I already had my processes planned out, my plan was to grab the nozzle from her, serve myself my money's worth and anybody in the way would have had the crazy in full. That's exactly what I did and slowly drove off, no words.

Sometimes they need to understand that they cannot get away with it Everytime!

I'm so happy you acted that way, but just get there on time tomorrow and get your crazy hat on because they'll still test your ruggedity. Don't go alone, but I'd have preferred you not take the POS and resolve it immediately. They all know the drill and most of the attendants there do it so it's not new to them. when they see better crazy, they comport.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by zabimaru: 8:06pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:

They must lose wetin pass that 5k today. grin

Next time when you tell them to sell fuel N1, them go sell am like that.
sadly, nothing has changed. They meet ur type every other day, they have an SOP for handling cases like yours. it's a trial and error thing, they try you to see if you'll fall victim and most times if you drive off, that's the end of your case.

6 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by armadeo(m): 8:08pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:

How do I know when they didn’t reset it?

You look at the pump. They reset it to 0 naira 0 liters. When you buy 10litres it shows 1625.

If another person comes to buy say 20 litres they just continue to run it from there to 20 liters . So what that person gets is 10 liters and they pocket the difference.

Old trick.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by armadeo(m): 8:08pm On May 06, 2021
descarado:

He did reset it.
They alter these pump numbers in the middle of the night.

This is hard to do because many people will notice and avoid them so they have stopped that format. Unless it's a new station.
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by pocohantas(f): 8:16pm On May 06, 2021
Update on FIRST PAGE.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by zabimaru: 8:17pm On May 06, 2021
armadeo:

This is hard to do because many people will notice and avoid them so they have stopped that format. Unless it's a new station.

I don't think it's hard tho, what I've noticed is in a gas station, they have one or two meters configured for this type of stunt. How to know? Bike and Keke riders avoid these pumps. Allow the "big men" use the other available pumps, making it look like an exclusive fast track service for these "big men".

11 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by zabimaru: 8:20pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:
We just left the fuel station. Got there and they were in premium tears “Madam you get mind, Madam you get mind”. Can I see the manager now? The manager comes out and I explained to him. He said he has been getting a lot of such complains lately and it can’t be a coincidence. He told me he already planned deducting the loss from POS sales from their salary, that’s why they were in tears.

Anyway, they added more fuel to the car, then the remaining was put in a keg that I came with, knowing the car was almost full.

Thanks for the responses here. I am very patient with service providers, but I hate when they test my patience.

like I said earlier, don't take it personal, it's what they do on a Daily Basis. Next time just stand your ground and attract as much attention as you can, they'll comport.

PS: the manager knows all these and will take it out of their salary as he said but they'll recover the money tomorrow and the cycle continues.

6 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by pocohantas(f): 8:22pm On May 06, 2021
zabimaru:

like I said earlier, don't take it personal, it's what they do on a Daily Basis. Next time just stand your ground and attract as much attention as you can, they'll comport.

PS: the manager knows all these and will take it out of their salary as he said but they'll recover the money tomorrow and the cycle continues.

Thanks. It was the stupid questions for me. Questioning my over a decade driving experience. Even learner go know when fuel gauge move na. They should continue with someone else. I will stick to my regular. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by jidobaba(m): 8:29pm On May 06, 2021
You know they want to run format when the attendant insists that you drive forward well past the pump because 'the hose is short/long'. They go quickly help you open tank cover. By that time to come down go tire you, even then na to stretch neck try see wetin the guy dey sell

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by zabimaru: 8:36pm On May 06, 2021
jidobaba:
You know they want to run format when the attendant insists that you drive forward well past the pump because 'the hose is short'. They go quickly help you open tank cover. By that time to come down go tire you, na to stretch neck inside motor try see wetin the guy dey sell

for me it's when the attendant brings up a random discussion to distract you. Most times if you lose guard thinking the person just wants to brighten up your day.... na scam, before you blink twice the meter don reach 7k. At this point, familiarity don set in, instinct will be to just drive off

8 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by descarado: 9:10pm On May 06, 2021
cococandy:

For real? embarassed
Yep cheesy
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by descarado: 9:13pm On May 06, 2021
armadeo:

The problem.is that many people will not notice, then those who noticed, some don't care because they have their own ways of getting that money back.

Ask drivers, they will tell you whuch petrol station and the margin
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by armadeo(m): 9:42pm On May 06, 2021
zabimaru:

I don't think it's hard tho, what I've noticed is in a gas station, they have one or two meters configured for this type of stunt. How to know? Bike and Keke riders avoid these pumps. Allow the "big men" use the other available pumps, making it look like an exclusive fast track service for these "big men".

This makes sense
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by armadeo(m): 9:44pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:
How do they even pull it off? I was livid.

Asking me useless questions like I am a learner.

You are hard sha grin cheesy
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Nobody: 10:25pm On May 06, 2021
pocohantas:

[b]I told him I am not normal o. [/b]All the while we were arguing my eyes was looking for something of value. The second I saw the POS machine, I grabbed it and made for my car. He is mad!

yeye, with which voice abi you use google voice grin u beta dey sneak go smoke weed no one wil take yu serious with ur voice nne not even pets

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Elsueno: 11:57pm On May 06, 2021
Anytime u go to a filling station, make sure you come down from ur car & go stand close to the attendant before u tell him how much fuel u want. that way, he will reset the pump in front of u and then start dispensing.

Some vehicles e.g Peugeots, u have to even open the gas tank cover with ur key as it's locked, so it's hard to trick the owners

6 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by ChiefSosa(m): 4:35am On May 07, 2021
In Nigeria, if you don't display your madness at certain instances; you'll never get your way. You just have to always increase the intensity of MADNESS whenever necessary, especially in places like Lagos AKA the center of madness in Nigeria(COMNig), Delta state and Edo state.

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Stormyharper(m): 5:19am On May 07, 2021
Why is that country fvck up? Why is it average nigerians can't wait to cheat you out of your money they can't wait to scammed others? How do these people sleep at night?

Imagine going to buy fuel and it ends up wrecking your day? Smh
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Stormyharper(m): 5:20am On May 07, 2021
ChiefSosa:
In Nigeria, if you don't display your madness at certain instances; you'll never get your way. You just have to always increase the intensity of MADNESS whenever necessary, especially in places like Lagos AKA the center of madness in Nigeria(COMNig), Delta state and Edo state.

Na wa ooo it is well. What is the way forward cuz this one tire me

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

2019 Lamborghini Urus Unveiled - The World’s First Super Sport Utility Vehicle / Ferrari Threatens To Take Legal Actions Against 360 Modena Limo Owner / Honda Launches First Unit Of HR-V Assembled In Nigeria - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.