Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:36 PM

How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station (33715 Views)

How I Was Scammed By A Dishonest Uber/Bolt Driver / Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station / Please What Can Make A Fuel Pump Not To Supply To Carburetor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Nobody: 1:02pm On May 07, 2021
doggedfighter:

This country can make one lose all his cool and decency. They keep pushing people from all angles.

Well said.

The extremely poor people littered all-over the country strive at the edge of life to survive by cheating the little decent few.

It's pathetic, if you don't hold your self well, you will be tagged a mad person.

If they are not religious fanatics, they are crooks or yahoo people, or they are bandits, gossips, extortionists.

Surviving in Nigeria is a miracle.

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Kriss216: 1:04pm On May 07, 2021
pocohantas:

I planned going back there...

It is not okay to just lose a customer, you think these guys care? They will keep doing it. My money is gone like that. Who cares about them losing a customer? I didn’t plan going there again, it was a random filling station I dropped into. I took my time, even spent extra money to prove to the ediot that he didn’t sell fuel to me, yet he was telling me to ask my car. What nonsense is that?

Thanks for the advice sis.
Area scatter, you need to be calming down abeg.
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Nobody: 1:56pm On May 07, 2021
Oga what happened to the N5000 fuel, he said I should ask my car.

grin grin grin
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by emonis88: 1:57pm On May 07, 2021
pocohantas:
How do they even pull it off? I was livid.

Asking me useless questions like I am a learner.

Update!!!

Na eko u dey abi? Cus u really change am for them like sis eko ! E good like dat cus them think say u b lekki babe weh them fit maga , but them no know say u be really sis eko , weh go findout wetin them do. Awon were!

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by DonX001: 2:11pm On May 07, 2021
zabimaru:

for me it's when the attendant brings up a random discussion to distract you. Most times if you lose guard thinking the person just wants to brighten up your day.... na scam, before you blink twice the meter don reach 7k. At this point, familiarity don set in, instinct will be to just drive off

Lol, this is just it! You got it 100%.
For me, once I see they want to start that their scam small talk, that's the exact moment I'll come and plant my eyes in front of the meter and make it very obvious to them.
Most times, the guy that was forming friendly will just keep quiet and start selling fuel....no more fake friendliness, lol.
I learnt from experience once, by the time I realized I had already gone far and couldn't come back cos I had a pressing appointment to meet.
Since then, never again.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by zabimaru: 2:28pm On May 07, 2021
DonX001:

Lol, this is just it! You got it 100%.
For me, once I see they want to start that their scam small talk, that's the exact moment I'll come and plant my eyes in front of the meter and make it very obvious to them.
Most times, the guy that was forming friendly will just keep quiet and start selling fuel....no more fake friendliness, lol.
I learnt from experience once, by the time I realized I had already gone far and couldn't come back cos I had a pressing appointment to meet.
Since then, never again.

The scam goes on an on Bro, and this happens Daily

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by zabimaru: 2:46pm On May 07, 2021
I think a thread should be created to identify the gas stations with these bad customer experiences so they can be avoided at all cost and even during emergencies, customers can shine eyes well.

Eg that Mobil at onipan bus stop off Ikorodu road, the first pump is ok and you will notice how people crowd that first pump, the other one is crap and they redirect big boys there in a bid to "fast track service for them" .
Anytime I use that route, I'd rather get to surulere and buy fuel if I can, all those around that axis are just black market.

Heyden off ilupeju bypass is golden, anytime anyday.

I will drive for miles off my route to get there and fill tank. Honestly

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by SweetDipBenny(m): 2:48pm On May 07, 2021
Same shit happened to me.i was stranded on d high way at 9pm

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Nobody: 3:03pm On May 07, 2021
Come down and look for yourself, no u all form rich guy, that why those crook cheat.
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 07, 2021
Op na mushin babe, my spirit told me.
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Eastcoastboy(m): 3:25pm On May 07, 2021
pocohantas:
I have been hearing of this scenario that plays out in fuel stations, but I didn’t know my day is coming.

Sharp guy! An eye for an eye.
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Angrygoat: 3:30pm On May 07, 2021
Best way na to get one 20 litres or 10 litres for boot. At least u go know where and see the petrol dispensing. See ppl no get time to dey check fuel,its just like checking your balance after recharging via recharge cards. This shouldn't be our problem na but naija is cursed.
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by alphaNomega: 4:02pm On May 07, 2021
pocohantas:
I have been hearing of this scenario that plays out in fuel stations, but I didn’t know my day is coming.

You weren't paying attention at the beginning if not all that drama would not have happened.
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by armadeo(m): 5:02pm On May 07, 2021
Mcslize:

Ok nice info. But how do you know the pump has been reset? Is it by the attendant punching the amount of fuel you want to buy with the button?

He has to hang the nozzle back theres a jack there that resets the pump.

Better yet just look at the pump and make sure everything reads zero
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by armadeo(m): 5:14pm On May 07, 2021
timocruzcmbb:
This days if you want to buy fuel on gerican or gallon they will charge you 50 Naira for what,Nigeria and their corruption as normal life every corner.

Some years back I also had this issue.

They sold to cars and kept us waiting and started jacking peeps for 50naira per keg.

The money didnt pain me but the fact that I was kept waiting ...I change sm for them
The guy gave me 50 naira and said oga carry your wahala dey go.

Another clown at another filling station said 50 naira per keg. I told her no and she hung the nozzle back and walked off.

I just said have you ever heard of dpr. Another guy there just ran to the pump and sold for me.

Retards forming smart.

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by armadeo(m): 5:19pm On May 07, 2021
HEAVEN4444:
you sef you dey punch pesin for mouth because of 2k fuel. na so buhari done destroy ya life reach ?

2k is small but it doesnt mean someone should just thief am for your hand.

Also them strand the guy for rain come make customer dey vex for am. E reach to para

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by armadeo(m): 5:20pm On May 07, 2021
Poorboy:
We know they are crooks but they will use your actions against you.

Most of them have calculated your steps before you, so any mistake they use that and nail you.

You only play safe with a crook by applying wisdom.

Lol.

No wisdom on the streets. Strong eye rules.

Didnt she win?

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by doggedfighter(f): 8:30pm On May 07, 2021
AlhajiBitcoin:

Well said.

The extremely poor people littered all-over the country strive at the edge of life to survive by cheating the little decent few.

It's pathetic, if you don't hold your self well, you will be tagged a mad person.

If they are not religious fanatics, they are crooks or yahoo people, or they are bandits, gossips, extortionists.

Surviving in Nigeria is a miracle.

AlhajiBitcoin, please come get a hug, sweet. grin

Though I know it's the month of Ramadan. grin

Your analysis is exactly what I had in my mind.

Very apt.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Lionati: 8:45pm On May 07, 2021
pocohantas:

Wahala man �
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by lebete3000: 10:12pm On May 07, 2021
MejiLoyon:
E no go pass all those mumu upcoming filling stations.
I swear you deserve an award for what you did. I'm so happy that you were smart enough to detect and even punish the thieving mollusc.

I watch my distance covered before I fill my tank due to my accountability nature. I also do so in order to know if the consumption is malfunctioning. Anyway na habit. In this light everytime I want to fill I check,and fill it with 11000 worth and 1500 injector cleaner. Even the guy selling once he sees me he does it without asking. A day came I met someone else at the nozzle. Wetin concern me I just said put 11000 with injector cleaner. After sometime he said he was done. The indicator went a notch past half. Bros why na. This thing no full. The guy just started insulting me in Yoruba. Na question I ask na insult he bring. I was speaking English O. Trying to calm down na so the guy insult my mama join. Na there my control fuse blow. I just reverse block the "in" gate, parked, wound up my glasses, went to the guy and dealt him a resounding slap. That day they saw hell. Them beg me with fuel. Use keg carry am from pump go their gate top my fuel with hose I no still gree. That day for them be like Christmas. Them enjoy my weyrey. Omo since then na nnpc O. Unless when better owu blow me wey no cash na him I dey use others.

Pele poco. Use nnpc next time

You mean the nation's fuel supplier is more expensive than others?

Why should that even be so?
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Joshumoto(m): 1:52am On May 08, 2021
Na guy you be stupid people
pocohantas:

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by cayorday89(m): 4:09am On May 08, 2021
Psoul:

This is the trick

Have you at any point pulled over at a petrol station to buy fuel, only to notice that your gauge does not reflect the quantity of fuel you bought? But if you think you haven’t, observe very closely —you may have fallen for the tricks fueling station sales attendants use to cheat. Most Nigerian drivers have at one time or the other been ripped off.

It’s advisable to always pay keen attention to the pump meter when buying fuel. Normally the meter must be set to zero when the pump starts but some attendants take advantage of your lack of attention to start from the point where the last sale was made. If you can, get down from your car and stand close to the meter to watch. Below are a few ways you can prevent yourself from been ripped off:

1.) Recall Or TIM/CAL Button

Some people may not know this, on the fuel dispenser there is usually a button labelled ‘Recall, TIM/CAL’ or any other label, depending on the machine. The essence of the button is to enable the attendant to see the past sales.
If you want to see your last ten sales, you just press Recall, then the number you want to see etc, depending on the number you want, and it shows you the amount. Beyond seeing past sales,petrol attendants use it to cheat and make money from the customers.

2.) Fake Hanging Of The Nozzle

Almost every petrol consumer knows that when the nozzle is hanging on the dispensing machine, the readings revert to zero. Thus the fuel attendants have also found a way to manipulate it to make some money for their pockets. What they do is that they gently hang the nozzle, such that it won’t click to rub off the old sales and revert to zero, so,they fake hang the nozzle,while the dispenser is still running, so if a new customer comes, they simply continue from where they stopped from the previous customer. This trick is used a lot during fuel scarcity, or when customers are in a hurry to buy fuel. This trick is also easier for the fuel attendant if the last sale was in a small quantity.

3.) The Okada Or Keke Napep Advantage

Most times, commercial motorcycles and Tricycles popularly know in Nigeria as Okada and Keke Napep tends to buy petrol in small quantities, for example like 2 or 3 litres of fuel. After dispensing fuel to the Okada/Keke Napep, if the next buyer intends to buy fuel in his vehicle or Jerry can, the fuel attendant will use the Okada/Keke Napep advantage, because of the small quantity sold previously and continue to dispense fuel into the vehicles’ tank without clearing the previous sale.

4.) The Fill Up Your Tank System

Filling up the tank may be another way to lose money and fuel, because when the pump clicks off automatically, no additional fuel enters the tank. “Instead, fuel is likely being diverted through the pump’s vapour recovery system and back into the station’s tank, which means you are paying for petrol that you are not getting.

More importantly, the vehicle needs space in its tank for fuel vapours to expand. Overfilling can force gas into the car’s carbon filter, leading to poor performance, reduced mileage or costly repairs. So, the next time you want to buy fuel, don’t top off your tank, it’s good for your car and even better for your wallet.

5.) The Faulty Meter

Some petrol pumps have rigged meters that start ticking even before petrol starts to flow from the hose. Have you ever gone to a filling station to buy fuel and it takes lesser time to fill your tank, compared to other places? This is as a result of the meters that have been tampered with, the attendant will make you believe the particular fuel dispenser is faster or slower than normal, depending on how the meters were manipulated.

Nigeria’s petroleum regulator, Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) has been saddled with the responsibility of regulating, monitoring and enforcing the laws in the sector, used the Seraphin Can to expose filling stations involved in the nefarious act in Lagos recently.

The ten-liter Seraphin Can is used by the DPR to ascertain the exact dispensing meter measurement of filling stations. When filled to the level of ten liters, dispensing meters that have been adjusted will show above ten liters on the display board. When this occurs, the filling station is shut by DPR officials.

6.) Using Unnecessarily Longer Dispenser Pipe

Pumps save on a lot of petrol when they use long pipes. A perfectly good meter will show that a certain amount of petrol has been pumped out, but that amount hasn’t reached your tank — some of it is still in the pipe, and it goes back into the pump. Through the day, the number of litres that stations save can be enormous, making the attendant accumulate surplus cash from undispensed fuel.

7.) Getting Friendly, Distract And Cheat

How many times have you visited the filling station and you notice that the fuel attendant is trying to chat you up. If he is not talking about the government, religion or politics, he is most likely to dive into football, especially if he noticed you are a fan of a particular club. The trick is to make you get very comfortable, argue with him and take your eyes off the fuel meter. Sometimes the attendant can even get his colleague to distract you, so he can focus on fuel pump to cheat you.

8.) Pretend Not To Hear You, Fake Ignorance, Smile And Apologize

This is another trick used by fuel attendants, when you request to fill up your car or Jerry can for a particular amount, for example ₦4,000, the attendant will sell only ₦1,000 worth of fuel, when you ask him why he didn’t fill up for ₦4,000, the attendant will apologize and smile innocently and say that he/she heard you say you wanted to buy ₦1,000 worth of fuel, and thus pretend to continue filling the remaining ₦3,000, by pretending to reset the meter and fill up your ₦4,000 worth of petrol and so you pay ₦4,000. But the attendant just cheated you, and this is how…

He did not reset the meter to ₦0.00 , he continued from the ₦1,000 point till he got to ₦3,000, so in reality you only get the petrol worth ₦3,000, but pay ₦4,000.

9.) Intervening The Dispenser Nozzle

It is generally found that the pump attendants keep their fingers tight on the nozzle and interrupt the flow of fuel manually. In this way, the required amount of fuel gets short. With these type of tricks, the pump staff saves probably litres of fuel in a single day that accumulates to his personal surplus profit for the day.

10.) Fuel Adulteration

The simplest and the most effective way of cheating used by almost all the petrol pumps is the adulteration of fuel. Usually, the dealers chemically adulterate the petrol by adding Naphtha, which is a byproduct and is as dense as petrol. It does not leave residue and is cheaper than its counterpart.

11.) Two Sides Of Price Indicators

In this particular trick, manipulation is done by pump attendants who normally strike when motorists are preoccupied with other thoughts. Most times, pump attendants are so daring. Motorists should be more careful with pumps that have two sides of price indicators—back and forth screen, displaying amount of money dispensed.

For several reasons, some of which are technical, each side of the screen could show a different price. For example, ₦5,000 and the other screen could display about ₦4,000.

If you requested to buy fuel worth ₦5,000 and then a buyer from other side of the pump is also buying ₦5,000 worth of fuel, if you are not watching close enough, a crafty attendant can dispense fuel worth ₦4,,000 and point to the other side pump, hoodwinking you into believing that he/she has dispensed the amount you required, meanwhile you have lost ₦1,000 as the price indicator was for the other pump.

With the knowledge of these tricks above, you can never be cheated by fuel attendant and you will buy your money’s worth of fuel. Please leave a comment if you have also observed other new tricks for the benefit of everyone. Drive Safe!

Have you worked in a filing station before to know all these or experience gathered overtime from yourself and other people..

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Psoul(m): 6:20am On May 08, 2021
cayorday89:

Have you worked in a filing station before to know all these or experience gathered overtime from yourself and other people..

I don't think that this question is necessary. The most important thing is that an information has bn passed and the information is to protect you.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by cayorday89(m): 7:12am On May 08, 2021
Psoul:

I don't think that this question is necessary. The most important thing is that an information has bn passed and the information is to protect you.
Thanks.
So true, I am only just curious as to how much you know.. Anyways, thanks for the update, it's an eye opener..

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Leemekzy: 7:59am On May 08, 2021
Joshumoto:
Na guy you be stupid people
she be lady no be guy.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by speedfreak(m): 9:45am On May 08, 2021
I wish I had your mind like this!! For those staying calm down and meet the manager, here's another scen8Had the same thing happen to me just last week at the petrocam filling station just off Lekki Epe, was in hurry and I couldn't stand the constant enyo traffic so I stopped at this petro cam instead, I fill up for 11k and buy 4k in a keg, I do every week for since I relocated in January, this particular day the gauge stopped at just two lines after half tank marker and the keg was filled as usual, I raised alarm and the attendant said fuel price has increased meanwhile their display clearly said 165n PL, insisted on seeing the manager and he said there's nothing he can do maybe my gauge is faulty, after arguing for almost 30mins I just got frustrated and drove off, had to buy an additional 4k to fill up the tank. A peaceful resolve doesn't always get you anywhere undecided

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Adesophy: 10:22am On May 10, 2021
Hello Twoclans, sorry you have been having challenges with your diesel supply. My company Panpro Energy Limited supplies the beat quality of diesel and we deal with integrity always. we have built a strong network of satisfying customers over time.
if you need diesel at good rate and quality please contact me at 08122263458 or via mail info@paniproenergy.com

Twoclans:
The gas industry is highly corrupt .Maybe because of their thin margins I dont know,you see that industry just forget them.They can't make heaven.

My organisation buys a minimum of 20,000 liters of diesel every two weeks yet it is a huge problem for us because every supplier always finds ways to cheat us of a minimum of 550,000 liters per supply.

We had to go ahead and calibrate all our storage tanks yet every time we need to take supplies na fight irrespective of the company supplying.

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by peeps4u: 10:43am On May 10, 2021
pocohantas:

Isn't Pocohantas a female?

I thought it was a man until I saw the moniker. WOw
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by peeps4u: 11:42am On May 10, 2021
Poorboy:
Accept you acted like a fool that day and take the wise counsel so your mistakes don't lead you to your early grave or prison.

You're more foolish if you think a filling station will use its money and resources to defend a fraudulent staff and pursue a client over a POS when it can just deduct the POS value from the staff's salary.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by zabimaru: 1:57pm On May 10, 2021
speedfreak:
I wish I had your mind like this!! For those staying calm down and meet the manager, here's another scen8Had the same thing happen to me just last week at the petrocam filling station just off Lekki Epe, was in hurry and I couldn't stand the constant enyo traffic so I stopped at this petro cam instead, I fill up for 11k and buy 4k in a keg, I do every week for since I relocated in January, this particular day the gauge stopped at just two lines after half tank marker and the keg was filled as usual, I raised alarm and the attendant said fuel price has increased meanwhile their display clearly said 165n PL, insisted on seeing the manager and he said there's nothing he can do maybe my gauge is faulty, after arguing for almost 30mins I just got frustrated and drove off, had to buy an additional 4k to fill up the tank. A peaceful resolve doesn't always get you anywhere undecided

Summary is you were scammed. Meeting the manager to discuss is one thing, meeting the manager to cause wahala is another. Also, never act calm when the situation demands it.... there is a time for everything! I'm certain you just wanted to sit with the manager and discuss it over a cup of coffee, for naija? You were lucky they didn't tell u that they erroneously gave u excess fuel in the keg sef.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by angelfallz(m): 2:53pm On May 10, 2021
Buy fuel from reputable filling stations you people would not listen
Total
NNPC
Bovas
Oanda

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See How The Toyota Supra Has Evolved Since 1978 (photos) / Horror In Benue: Trailer Crushes 8 Students To Death In Otukpa (photos) / Spot The Difference Between These Chinese Copycat Cars And Their Original Models

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.