Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,737 members, 7,809,825 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:32 PM

How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station (33635 Views)

How I Was Scammed By A Dishonest Uber/Bolt Driver / Counter Thread: 2 Things You Must Do To Avoid Been Cheated In A Fuel Station. / Five Things You Should Know To Avoid Being Defrauded In A Nigerian Fuel Station (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by HEAVEN4444: 10:26am On May 07, 2021
bisiswag:
@ OP,sorry about the incident.
Those fuel attendants can make you loose like your cool. It's better to just beg for tips than steal.
My own episodes are always extra charges when inputing into d POS,in the range of 500 to 1000.
I always demand and ensure they pay me back because anytime I drive into a gas station, my guard is always up.
So annoying. Even if na 10kobo,thief na thief cos it's my freaking sweat and sleepless nights.
na so owu blow you reach ? you dey follow drag 10 kobo ?

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by pocohantas(f): 10:29am On May 07, 2021
ivolt:

People end up in jail for walking at the wrong time and have to part with bail money grin
Those irate customers usually don't take the station's things with them.

Such people are't interested in court cases because they are not clean. They rely on police and make money for them. I have seen ridiculous reports built on more shaky legs.

It is much easier to report that a lady who was forced to pay for fuel "stole" their POS while leaving than another who damaged their dispenser over a disagreement

But since they don't know you and can't track you. You don't need to watch your back undecided

My dear, it is not today people started leaving with things when you owe them. I would have loved to see why a fuel station would spend money on a police case for the actions of a staff. Even my organization won’t do it, let alone a nonsense fuel station. They will leave you to yourself and slash your salary.

Let me tell you what would have happened and what already happened. They would have used their salaries to replace it. That is all!

Poorboy:
what can of modern car can she afford please don't burst my stomach with laff abeg.

If you know that the law is base on evidence not assumptions.

Immediately she left the fuel station with her car, she has killed the evidence she would have use in court. Nairaland is for you to listen to wise counsel not to bring up your village idea it won't fly.

Have a nice day.

Then they should bring their evidence while I bring mine. Who told you, you have killed all evidence when you leave a scene?

Are you okay? Why exactly are you particularly aggrieved?

Yes I drive a modern car, it is not a Benz, but it is quite modern. That was why he couldn’t figure out how my tank works. My car can also accurately tell the distance and fuel consumed on my last trip, but he wasn’t interested in all that “Maths”. He just wanted to keep claiming he sold N5000 worth of fuel.

You are the one that should do more listening.

9 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by The5DME(m): 10:30am On May 07, 2021
Nawa sha. pocohantas u get small choko for body sha grin cheesy
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Princeton92(m): 10:30am On May 07, 2021
Leemekzy:
Most NNPC stations aint NNPC they are franchaise. With 1.8m you get the NNPC name for your station.

Noticed some as you've described above shocked
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Poorboy: 10:33am On May 07, 2021
pocohantas:

My dear, it is not today people started leaving with things when you owe them. I would have loved to see why a fuel station would spend money on a police case for the actions of a staff. Even my organization won’t do it, let alone a nonsense fuel station. They will leave you to yourself and slash your salary.

Let me tell you what would have happened and what already happened. They would have used their salaries to replace it. That is all!

Then they should bring their evidence while I bring mine. Who told you, you have killed all evidence when you leave a scene?

Are you okay? Why exactly are you particularly aggrieved?

Yes I drive a modern car, it is not a Benz, but it is quite modern. That was why he couldn’t figure out how my tank works. My car can also accurately tell the distance and fuel consumed on my last trip, but he wasn’t interested in all that “Maths”. He just wanted to keep claiming he sold N5000 worth of fuel.

You are the one that should do more listening.
Accept you acted like a fool that day and take the wise counsel so your mistakes don't lead you to your early grave or prison.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Nobody: 10:34am On May 07, 2021
When I go to buy fuel I am extra vigilant. I don't form big man. I park my car and come out. I and the attendant do dey look the meter together. Those guys are very slippery. Once you lose your guard they will cheat you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by pocohantas(f): 10:35am On May 07, 2021
Poorboy:
Accept you acted like a fool that day and take the wise counsel so your mistakes don't lead you to your early grave or prison.

Accept it is paining you. The question is WHY?

Die in pains. grin

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Leemekzy: 10:36am On May 07, 2021
Princeton92:

Noticed some as you've described above shocked
once you pay the 1.8m they will be the one to install all the pumps and brand your station.

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by HRMK: 10:39am On May 07, 2021
this may look ok to u but its wrong!u dont settle evil with evil!u culd av gone straight to lodge complaint in a police station with the #pos but then,nobody culd trust those uniformed men!!
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Leemekzy: 10:47am On May 07, 2021
Poorboy:
oga the fuel station cant do anything. from the owner to the manager and all other staffs are crooks. my uncle owns a fuel station so i know must of their tricks

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Poorboy: 10:51am On May 07, 2021
Leemekzy:
oga the fuel station cant do anything. from the owner to the manager and all other staffs are crooks. my uncle owns a fuel station so i know must of their tricks
We know they are crooks but they will use your actions against you.

Most of them have calculated your steps before you, so any mistake they use that and nail you.

You only play safe with a crook by applying wisdom.
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Psoul(m): 10:59am On May 07, 2021
pocohantas:
I have been hearing of this scenario that plays out in fuel stations, but I didn’t know my day is coming.

This is the trick

Have you at any point pulled over at a petrol station to buy fuel, only to notice that your gauge does not reflect the quantity of fuel you bought? But if you think you haven’t, observe very closely —you may have fallen for the tricks fueling station sales attendants use to cheat. Most Nigerian drivers have at one time or the other been ripped off.

It’s advisable to always pay keen attention to the pump meter when buying fuel. Normally the meter must be set to zero when the pump starts but some attendants take advantage of your lack of attention to start from the point where the last sale was made. If you can, get down from your car and stand close to the meter to watch. Below are a few ways you can prevent yourself from been ripped off:

1.) Recall Or TIM/CAL Button

Some people may not know this, on the fuel dispenser there is usually a button labelled ‘Recall, TIM/CAL’ or any other label, depending on the machine. The essence of the button is to enable the attendant to see the past sales.
If you want to see your last ten sales, you just press Recall, then the number you want to see etc, depending on the number you want, and it shows you the amount. Beyond seeing past sales,petrol attendants use it to cheat and make money from the customers.

2.) Fake Hanging Of The Nozzle

Almost every petrol consumer knows that when the nozzle is hanging on the dispensing machine, the readings revert to zero. Thus the fuel attendants have also found a way to manipulate it to make some money for their pockets. What they do is that they gently hang the nozzle, such that it won’t click to rub off the old sales and revert to zero, so,they fake hang the nozzle,while the dispenser is still running, so if a new customer comes, they simply continue from where they stopped from the previous customer. This trick is used a lot during fuel scarcity, or when customers are in a hurry to buy fuel. This trick is also easier for the fuel attendant if the last sale was in a small quantity.

3.) The Okada Or Keke Napep Advantage

Most times, commercial motorcycles and Tricycles popularly know in Nigeria as Okada and Keke Napep tends to buy petrol in small quantities, for example like 2 or 3 litres of fuel. After dispensing fuel to the Okada/Keke Napep, if the next buyer intends to buy fuel in his vehicle or Jerry can, the fuel attendant will use the Okada/Keke Napep advantage, because of the small quantity sold previously and continue to dispense fuel into the vehicles’ tank without clearing the previous sale.

4.) The Fill Up Your Tank System

Filling up the tank may be another way to lose money and fuel, because when the pump clicks off automatically, no additional fuel enters the tank. “Instead, fuel is likely being diverted through the pump’s vapour recovery system and back into the station’s tank, which means you are paying for petrol that you are not getting.

More importantly, the vehicle needs space in its tank for fuel vapours to expand. Overfilling can force gas into the car’s carbon filter, leading to poor performance, reduced mileage or costly repairs. So, the next time you want to buy fuel, don’t top off your tank, it’s good for your car and even better for your wallet.

5.) The Faulty Meter

Some petrol pumps have rigged meters that start ticking even before petrol starts to flow from the hose. Have you ever gone to a filling station to buy fuel and it takes lesser time to fill your tank, compared to other places? This is as a result of the meters that have been tampered with, the attendant will make you believe the particular fuel dispenser is faster or slower than normal, depending on how the meters were manipulated.

Nigeria’s petroleum regulator, Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) has been saddled with the responsibility of regulating, monitoring and enforcing the laws in the sector, used the Seraphin Can to expose filling stations involved in the nefarious act in Lagos recently.

The ten-liter Seraphin Can is used by the DPR to ascertain the exact dispensing meter measurement of filling stations. When filled to the level of ten liters, dispensing meters that have been adjusted will show above ten liters on the display board. When this occurs, the filling station is shut by DPR officials.

6.) Using Unnecessarily Longer Dispenser Pipe

Pumps save on a lot of petrol when they use long pipes. A perfectly good meter will show that a certain amount of petrol has been pumped out, but that amount hasn’t reached your tank — some of it is still in the pipe, and it goes back into the pump. Through the day, the number of litres that stations save can be enormous, making the attendant accumulate surplus cash from undispensed fuel.

7.) Getting Friendly, Distract And Cheat

How many times have you visited the filling station and you notice that the fuel attendant is trying to chat you up. If he is not talking about the government, religion or politics, he is most likely to dive into football, especially if he noticed you are a fan of a particular club. The trick is to make you get very comfortable, argue with him and take your eyes off the fuel meter. Sometimes the attendant can even get his colleague to distract you, so he can focus on fuel pump to cheat you.

8.) Pretend Not To Hear You, Fake Ignorance, Smile And Apologize

This is another trick used by fuel attendants, when you request to fill up your car or Jerry can for a particular amount, for example ₦4,000, the attendant will sell only ₦1,000 worth of fuel, when you ask him why he didn’t fill up for ₦4,000, the attendant will apologize and smile innocently and say that he/she heard you say you wanted to buy ₦1,000 worth of fuel, and thus pretend to continue filling the remaining ₦3,000, by pretending to reset the meter and fill up your ₦4,000 worth of petrol and so you pay ₦4,000. But the attendant just cheated you, and this is how…

He did not reset the meter to ₦0.00 , he continued from the ₦1,000 point till he got to ₦3,000, so in reality you only get the petrol worth ₦3,000, but pay ₦4,000.

9.) Intervening The Dispenser Nozzle

It is generally found that the pump attendants keep their fingers tight on the nozzle and interrupt the flow of fuel manually. In this way, the required amount of fuel gets short. With these type of tricks, the pump staff saves probably litres of fuel in a single day that accumulates to his personal surplus profit for the day.

10.) Fuel Adulteration

The simplest and the most effective way of cheating used by almost all the petrol pumps is the adulteration of fuel. Usually, the dealers chemically adulterate the petrol by adding Naphtha, which is a byproduct and is as dense as petrol. It does not leave residue and is cheaper than its counterpart.

11.) Two Sides Of Price Indicators

In this particular trick, manipulation is done by pump attendants who normally strike when motorists are preoccupied with other thoughts. Most times, pump attendants are so daring. Motorists should be more careful with pumps that have two sides of price indicators—back and forth screen, displaying amount of money dispensed.

For several reasons, some of which are technical, each side of the screen could show a different price. For example, ₦5,000 and the other screen could display about ₦4,000.

If you requested to buy fuel worth ₦5,000 and then a buyer from other side of the pump is also buying ₦5,000 worth of fuel, if you are not watching close enough, a crafty attendant can dispense fuel worth ₦4,,000 and point to the other side pump, hoodwinking you into believing that he/she has dispensed the amount you required, meanwhile you have lost ₦1,000 as the price indicator was for the other pump.

With the knowledge of these tricks above, you can never be cheated by fuel attendant and you will buy your money’s worth of fuel. Please leave a comment if you have also observed other new tricks for the benefit of everyone. Drive Safe!

13 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by bigcee(m): 11:02am On May 07, 2021
Poorboy:
you're a fool, you feel you're wise.

People like you learn the hard way maybe too late, keep displaying your foolishness
This is exactly what I don't like. Why are you insulting her? Wetin the babe do you? You dey Nairaland dey flex muscle with woman. You deserve beaten.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Poorboy: 11:04am On May 07, 2021
bigcee:

This is exactly what I don't like. Why are you insulting her? Wetin the babe do you? You dey Nairaland dey flex muscle with woman. You deserve beaten.
embarassed Sorry Minister for women affairs. Read what she wrote before I replied her that way.

Again sorry women Minister.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by bigcee(m): 11:07am On May 07, 2021
Poorboy:
embarassed Sorry Minister for women affairs. Read what she wrote before I replied her that way.

Again sorry women Minister.
Poor boy indeed.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by encryptjay(m): 11:07am On May 07, 2021
tojahh:

Was a actually a fuel of 2k. Very early in the money I was going to VI with a client. I say make i buy 2k fuel since the ride na 4k make i use the remaining 2k cure my fever.

Na so this small boy of about 19 sell me nonsense o. Motor come stop for untop 3rd mainland bridge and it was raining. Na so rain beat me where i dey stranded. My client begin para till those police checkpoint at Ebutte metta come give me 2 liters if fuel for 500 (2019 o).

I just drop the client block speed reach the fuel station, the guy was selling to someone else na so I dash am blow for mouth blood full everywhere, him colleague come chook mouth for the matter, na so i dash her big slap, People begin run think say I be thief till i explain for them. I don already call my goons because i live in the area (Pedro). My guys don come, fuel station don halt service. Na so we begin fight everybody till supervisor come.

Give me full tank, pay for my shirt wey the guy tear, pay 3k to my guys for drinks, still tell me sorry on top because him find out say na area boys we be.

Since that day. If I enter fuel station and all the attendants are calling me to come buy at their pumps, i just get prepared because I know I will be scammed. most times I volunteer to sell by myself.

I no get time. craze full this head.
Hahahaha grin
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by jahlove4jah: 11:22am On May 07, 2021
My own experience was back at Owerri in 2017, I asked for 5k fuel, he did 1k and stopped and when I asked him that I wanted 5k, he continued from the initial 1k and stopped at 4k. I asked him to make it 5k and he said that he already put 1k. I asked him to display his previous sales and he refused and decided to add the 1k. The thing is I look out for fuel stations that commercial drivers use and i still shine my eyes.

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Swingate(m): 11:31am On May 07, 2021
The worst filling station to buy petrol from is the Mobil filling station at Obakran way Ikeja, avoid that place if you can those boys are criminals.
I caught two of them playing game of distract and cheat with me and another day I was driving through I saw them pulling it off with another car.
I think the managers of these filling stations should be held responsible for the actions of their attendants to cube this problem. Everyday people are been robbbed of their hard earned money by some of these attendants.
I still visit some good filling stations in Lagos that follow up with their attendants and make sure they don't cheat, but mobil and some filling stations do not care about customer protection. The worst ones are those selling cooking gas using metered pumps.

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by hokafor(m): 11:31am On May 07, 2021
Most petrol stations are under despensing , if u reside in portharcourt. Try these ones they are better compare to others . Restopark in stadium road, swing in Eliozu, rumokolo area martrix, Kentals in igwuruta and strip in iwofe.

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by EmmanuelBanks: 11:32am On May 07, 2021
pocohantas:
How do they even pull it off? I was livid.

Asking me useless questions like I am a learner.

Update!!!

nice one OP, but pls can you call the name of the filling station and their location.. so as to help us and not fall victim, thanks.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by IamAsiri: 11:35am On May 07, 2021
pocohantas:

I read your story with my mouth open. My craze no reach like this. They can turn an angel into a demon. It was a girl that actually received the money, then she called the guy to come sell. I was wondering why, felt she was new or something.

Yes, he felt I don’t know about cars (as a woman that I am). I was watching it, I was very sure I saw the figures move.

I meant till he finishes selling. That is how they actually do. They can stop midway and call up the last sold or recently sold figures.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by bigcee(m): 11:40am On May 07, 2021
Poorboy:
You claim to be wise but you have been using foul language to pass your message to her. Abeg, what kind of wisdom is that or do you have a mental disorder? You keep attacking her and you claim to be wise and she is foolish. It's obvious you're very immature.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by xandy84: 11:46am On May 07, 2021
Injector cleaner!!! Using it does very few good your car/truck. There are many flirtation system built in automobile to filter dirty from fuel your vehicle consume. Take it from medium/Heavy duty college professor.

Another wrong notion we Nigerian believed is non use of A/C system saves gas.

MejiLoyon:
E no go pass all those mumu upcoming filling stations.
I swear you deserve an award for what you did. I'm so happy that you were smart enough to detect and even punish the thieving mollusc.

I watch my distance covered before I fill my tank due to my accountability nature. I also do so in order to know if the consumption is malfunctioning. Anyway na habit. In this light everytime I want to fill I check,and fill it with 11000 worth and 1500 injector cleaner. Even the guy selling once he sees me he does it without asking. A day came I met someone else at the nozzle. Wetin concern me I just said put 11000 with injector cleaner. After sometime he said he was done. The indicator went a notch past half. Bros why na. This thing no full. The guy just started insulting me in Yoruba. Na question I ask na insult he bring. I was speaking English O. Trying to calm down na so the guy insult my mama join. Na there my control fuse blow. I just reverse block the "in" gate, parked, wound up my glasses, went to the guy and dealt him a resounding slap. That day they saw hell. Them beg me with fuel. Use keg carry am from pump go their gate top my fuel with hose I no still gree. That day for them be like Christmas. Them enjoy my weyrey. Omo since then na nnpc O. Unless when better owu blow me wey no cash na him I dey use others.

Pele poco. Use nnpc next time

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Prostitute: 11:50am On May 07, 2021
bigcee:

You claim to be wise but you have been using foul language to pass your message to her. Abeg, what kind of wisdom is that or do you have a mental disorder? You keep attacking her and you claim to be wise and she is foolish. It's obvious you're very immature.
busybody, following these I don't see where he talked with you.
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by bigcee(m): 11:54am On May 07, 2021
Prostitute:
busybody, following these I don't see where he talked with you.
Come beat me na. Since you sabi chest beat online.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Richie77: 11:57am On May 07, 2021
Chai .... My wife can do such ... For me wey no like trouble .

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by TommyGs(m): 12:02pm On May 07, 2021
pocohantas:

Babe, I like your reaction, no be lie.

I told him I am not normal o. All the while we were arguing my eyes was looking for something of value. The second I saw the POS machine, I grabbed it and made for my car. He is mad!

I didn’t look at the name. It was random. Looked fine and that was it. The fact that there weren’t many public transport there should have told me something was wrong. grin
Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by OGMEEKZY: 12:09pm On May 07, 2021
pocohantas:
I have been hearing of this scenario that plays out in fuel stations, but I didn’t know my day is coming.

you really deserve an award for what you did

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by xtervaganza(m): 12:16pm On May 07, 2021
My story with those guys eh. I bought 3k fuel one morning and the fuel guage no even move. I was so angry I vowed never to go there again. Now na full tank I de buy which is 10k and I know where he go reach . From other filling station of course

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Babysho(m): 12:22pm On May 07, 2021
Poorboy:
You for no move your car there, you go enter problem.

If they had followed you and said you stole their pos machine, street boys seeing you with the pos when you're caught might burn you alive inside that car.

Now you can't prove that he didn't sell 5k fuel to you because you left with your car from their fuel station.

If them carry you go Court you go serve jail term for your mistakes or pay heavy damages they will claim.

Next time apply wisdom, everything in life no be gragra

First of all, who steals pos machine and owns a car? grin grin
Which court? grin grin
Be like say you don too soft for Naija.
Na correct misyarn be this o

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by Nobody: 12:37pm On May 07, 2021
This happened to me and my brother in the year 2009. We entered the filling station to buy fuel and the lady was selling to a car before us. Coming from east to west is a long distance journey and we always fill the car tank whenever we are traveling. When she finished attending to the car before ours, we asked her to sell 50 ltrs. Before you know it, we saw 50 ltrs displayed on the screen. My brother said what? Thank God I looked at the screen before she starts selling for us and I told her that look, you sold 20 ltrs to the car that just left and you did not reset your meter before selling for us. Is either you sell the remaining 20 ltrs or we pay you for the 30 ltrs we are having in the tank. After much argument she later sells the remaining 20 ltrs.
You have to be smart and shine your eye, else you will always be scammed at the filling stations.
Many Nigerians are born criminal.

5 Likes

Re: How I Was Scammed At A Fuel Station by ChiefSweetus: 12:40pm On May 07, 2021
pocohantas:

It is like you people think we all live in Amukoko where there are angry hoodlums on standby waiting to lynch.

As for the 5k, can you reimburse me the money ASAP?

Seems you are the guy. What is your name again?
grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

These Are The Longest-ever Living Car Models / Mistakes To Avoid When Driving An Automatic Transmission Car / Rolls-Royce Cullinan SUV Pushed To Its Limit At The Goodwood Festival Of Speed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.