Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:00 AM

Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. - Agriculture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. (19750 Views)

My Cassava Farming Dairy As A Total Beginner / Why We Mix Hypo, Detergents And Potash With Cassava -fufu Producers | / My Potatoe Farm Mix With Cassava ... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by northbird: 6:59pm On Jan 02, 2022
@Farmerakinloye6. Some questions
A. How many ha. of maize did you plant?

B. How many tons of maize ( dry maize) were you able to harvest from the hectares of land?

C. Is it true that there is no marked difference between local variety and hybrid seeds in terms of yield /tonnage /ha.?

D. Can one achieve 4tons/ha, or it just experimental stuff. /on paper.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 9:20am On Jan 03, 2022
folmus:
When is the time to start planting cassava?
after second rain... likely march.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 9:32am On Jan 03, 2022
northbird:
@Farmerakinloye6. Some questions
A. How many ha. of maize did you plant?

B. How many tons of maize ( dry maize) were you able to harvest from the hectares of land?

C. Is it true that there is no marked difference between local variety and hybrid seeds in terms of yield /tonnage /ha.?

D. Can one achieve 4tons/ha, or it just experimental stuff. /on paper.
A. 3 hectare B. 1.4 (yield reduce because I intercrop it with cassava,space) C. personally grin I don't think we have hybrid seed in Nigeria cheesy, the so called OBA something is trash. D. in my eight years experience, I have never see 4tons per hectare Both in and out. It is or maybe possible though!

1 Like

Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by northbird: 5:56pm On Jan 03, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
A. 3 hectare B. 1.4 (yield reduce because I intercrop it with cassava,space) C. personally grin I don't think we have hybrid seed in Nigeria cheesy, the so called OBA something is trash. D. in my eight years experience, I have never see 4tons per hectare Both in and out. It is or maybe possible though!

OK boss.. Thanks. Cos the tonnage too dey always confuse me sef.
If 4tons/ha is achievable. Then with 5 ha. I already have 20 tons.
I will do more findings, cos the feelers I'm getting is the seed companies just want to sell seed. Period.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by northbird: 11:59am On Feb 14, 2022
@ Farmerakinloye6.
I trust you are good. A quick one. Please.

A. What price (best price in Akure) per ton did you get for your dried maize?

B. How many days after maturity of the maize ( maize should mature in 80-85days after planting) can one leave the maize to dry completely,if one plans to sell dry.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 4:50pm On Feb 14, 2022
northbird:
@ Farmerakinloye6.
I trust you are good. A quick one. Please.

A. What price (best price in Akure) per ton did you get for your dried maize?

B. How many days after maturity of the maize ( maize should mature in 80-85days after planting) can one leave the maize to dry completely,if one plans to sell dry.
I sold 130k December and 220k per ton this January ending. B. It should be ready for sale by 70 days (fresh), and ready to be shell by 110 days(dry). You have to be smart when you are planting to sell dry. You can not plant anytime of the year..it should be June ending-early august.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by northbird: 6:21am On Feb 17, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
I sold 130k December and 220k per ton this January ending. B. It should be ready for sale by 70 days (fresh), and ready to be shell by 110 days(dry). You have to be smart when you are planting to sell dry. You can not plant anytime of the year..it should be June ending-early august.

Thanks boss. Date is duly noted.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Konjidam: 10:16am On Feb 17, 2022
@Farmerakinloye6

Pls what is the cost estimate for planting 1hecter. Thanks
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by northbird: 9:44am On Mar 16, 2022
@ Farmerakinloye6.

Greetings.

Please, what's your take on the locally made manual planter machine for maize as against the use of manual labour for planting maize.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 9:52am On Mar 16, 2022
northbird:
@ Farmerakinloye6.

Greetings.

Please, what's your take on the locally made manual planter machine for maize as against the use of manual labour for planting maize.
if you think it will work effective fine! Am still going with manual labourer this year.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Dscientist: 1:14pm On Mar 16, 2022
Please can anybody give me a lead on where to get Tractor in Odeda Lga Ogun state.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by YourRealFather: 1:39pm On Mar 16, 2022
Ok
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by northbird: 11:38am On Mar 18, 2022
@ Farmerakinloye6. Thank you for the inputs.

Please, Can cassava be mature n ready for market in 10 months.? If yes.

From your experience, What's the best time to plant cassava so as to optimize pricing when selling.
For instance, using the maize model. Dry maize price skyrockets around Jan - Mar.

Thank you.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 1:55pm On Mar 18, 2022
northbird:
@ Farmerakinloye6. Thank you for the inputs.

Please, Can cassava be mature n ready for market in 10 months.? If yes.

From your experience, What's the best time to plant cassava so as to optimize pricing when selling.
For instance, using the maize model. Dry maize price skyrockets around Jan - Mar.

Thank you.
unlike maize, tomato, cocoyam or yam, cassava is three years interval.. the price will go up by 2024.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by northbird: 7:00pm On Mar 18, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
unlike maize, tomato, cocoyam or yam, cassava is three years interval.. the price will go up by 2024.

Wao.. Ok. Thanks
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 1:56pm On Mar 24, 2022
Just like yesterday... two more months and it will be ready for harvest.

2 Likes

Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Ameboperoo(m): 3:16pm On Mar 24, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
I just stumbled on your thread and read from beginning to the end!
I used to be a practicing farmer too but stopped due to menace of herdsmen.
First, I will say kudos to you for creating time to answer every questions on the thread. It;s not easy grin
I will also encourage you to keep up the good work. May God bless your hustle and give you bountiful harvest beyond you expectation.
Shout out to all farmers out there.

2 Likes

Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Ameboperoo(m): 3:30pm On Mar 24, 2022
Some questions though. Why do you have to add glyphosate to 2,4d for your second spray? I think glyphosate is already a total systemic herbicide on its own.
2. It seems you planted your maize 1 per stand? Don't you think you will get a better yield if you plant 2 per stand?
3. You stated that you waited for 2 weeks or so before you planted your maize. I would rather plant immediately after ridging and spray a pre-emergence herbicide like altrazine before the soil begin to cake (though it may not be an issue where your soil is forest or virgin soil).
What do you think? I'm ready to learn more under you sir.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by bluice25: 3:43pm On Mar 24, 2022
Ameboperoo:
Some questions though. Why do you have to add glyphosate to 2,4d for your second spray? I think glyphosate is already a total systemic herbicide on its own.
2. It seems you planted your maize 1 per stand? Don't you think you will get a better yield if you plant 2 per stand?
3. You stated that you waited for 2 weeks or so before you planted your maize. I would rather plant immediately after ridging and spray a pre-emergence herbicide like altrazine before the soil begin to cake (though it may not be an issue where your soil is forest or virgin soil).
Can planting of maize and start by first week of April?
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Ameboperoo(m): 4:08pm On Mar 24, 2022
bluice25:

Can planting of maize and start by first week of April?
Yes, if you have enough rains. Especially those in the southern part of the country. But for us in the middle belt and up north, we might need to wait o. Now that we don't even know what the weather is up to.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by northbird: 4:27pm On Mar 24, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:

Great job farmer akinloye. Please, Do you weed manually or how do you maintain a clean layout. I thought it was only the cucumber, this cassava farm too is neat.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Liadi2(m): 8:35pm On Mar 24, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
Please when did you plant?
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 10:06am On Mar 25, 2022
Ameboperoo:
1. my first spraying I mixed glyphosate + 2-4d, second spraying striker + 2-4d. 2-4d has the strength to crush water leaf. If it is only glyphosate, maximum three weeks water leaf will be back active. 2. It because of air flow, You know I also intercrop it with cassava. 3. Your approach is also good, but if rain don't fall after seven days you spray, then it will not work/effective.

1 Like

Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 10:10am On Mar 25, 2022
northbird:

Great job farmer akinloye. Please, Do you weed manually or how do you maintain a clean layout. I thought it was only the cucumber, this cassava farm too is neat.
1. Glyphosate+2-4d 2. striker+2-4d 3. Para force 4. Manual weeding. That how I maintain the farm from A Z.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 10:12am On Mar 25, 2022
Liadi2:

Please when did you plant?
June now, I thought you were following this thread?
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Jamestown123: 4:23pm On Mar 25, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
Sorry to ask. You don't make any heap before planting the cassava?
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Cedagrochemical(f): 5:06pm On Mar 25, 2022
24D herbicide, Nicogold and other Herbicides are available at Ceda Agro

Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 8:42pm On Mar 27, 2022
Jamestown123:
Sorry to ask. You don't make any heap before planting the cassava?
yes I don't heap nor ridge, just plough. This year am doing ploughing and ridging which is the best!
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by bluice25: 2:58pm On Mar 28, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
yes I don't heap nor ridge, just plough. This year am doing ploughing and ridging which is the best!
Can ploughing for maize be done manually?
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Farmerakinloye6(m): 3:34pm On Mar 28, 2022
bluice25:

Can ploughing for maize be done manually?
do you know the meaning of plough? Using tractor to turn your farmland, to your question yes it is possible, but instead you should do heap.
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by bigdot1759(m): 5:38pm On Mar 28, 2022
Farmerakinloye6:
Do u manage farmland
Re: Maize Intercrop With Cassava Farming. by Omonaijani: 5:48pm On Mar 28, 2022
Cedagrochemical:
24D herbicide, Nicogold and other Herbicides are available at Ceda Agro
where is your address in Abeokuta please?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Professional Training And Capacity Building In Commercial Snail Farming & Export / Official Launching Of Niger Star Rice (Photos) / Maintaining A Clean Pig House In Modern Pig Farming (video/pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.